PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Games

Sniper
09-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I have a question that intrigues me. Why do people get so hung up on bowl games? (Yes, Michigan is 0-4 in their last 4 bowl games, I'm aware. Just go with it) Everyone makes a big deal of this bowl, that bowl. In reality, other than the NC game, isn't it just another OOC game? Maybe I'm wrong, but the whole "Yay we won our bowl game" and buy "GMAC INTERNATIONAL BOWL CHAMPS" t-shirts is just kind of weird. Maybe it's just me.

smittyjs
09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
With vandy last bowl game being in 1982, it would be huge if we made one this year, most people fell like it's "there Teams" championship game, so i can see why it is a big deal to people.

neko4
09-02-2007, 09:10 PM
They get money for winning right?

TimD
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
They get money for winning right?

yessir thats why its such a big deal to the schools... plus it gives schools an opportunity to win their last "important" game

Canadian_kid16
09-02-2007, 09:30 PM
don't go dissing the International Bowl now ya hear :p

and smitty, we are going to a bowl this year (NCAA 08 has made me a fan of Vanderbilt), so it will be mucho importante

etk
09-02-2007, 09:52 PM
As a fan it's nice to see a team finish the season well. Losing 40-3 to LSU and their backup QB sucked big time, but it doesn't really matter much more than a big rivalry game.

Sniper
09-02-2007, 09:53 PM
As a fan it's nice to see a team finish the season well. Losing 40-3 to LSU and their backup QB sucked big time, but it doesn't really matter much more than a big rivalry game.

Or a conference game to a kinda rival, which is why I didn't understand a PSU fan's argument that winning two bowl games was better than not beating Michigan in 10 years.

BerninWI
09-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Unless the bowl is very low level, it definitely has the most relevance of any game during season.

1. For the seniors, it will be the last game of their career, and for some juniors as well. At the very least, it's the end of a player's season. Therefore, just about every player on the field is going to play with intensity.

2. It's on a neutral field, so there's no built in advantages.

3. If you are selected to a bowl, generally you're going to meet a pretty good team.

4. It's a relative indicator of the strength of conferences. As a result it's an opportunity to learn who is better than their record and who is worse, as a result of their conference.

5. Both teams have an ample amount of time to prepare.

6. I think most importantly, the game shows a team's ability to improve throughout the season with game reps. Especially in college football, early season tilts aren't fully indicative of a team's ability because you're dealing with a lot of turnover, and inexperienced 18 and 19 year olds.

GB12
09-02-2007, 09:58 PM
If the bowls don't matter, why do any of the games?

Sniper
09-02-2007, 10:16 PM
If the bowls don't matter, why do any of the games?

For conference purposes. Basically this is me beating around the bush in favor of a playoff. I don't give a **** who wins between the #22 team and #25 team in the Bumble **** Bowl. I want to see a bad ass 16 team tournament.

elway777
09-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Unless it's the Grand Daddy of them all, the Rose Bowl.

saintsfan912
09-02-2007, 10:27 PM

Our backup QB sucked? He's a hell of alot better than anyone UM had or has at the moment. Sorry dude, just cause UM sucks balls doesn't mean LSUs QB sucked.

BerninWI
09-02-2007, 10:33 PM
For conference purposes. Basically this is me beating around the bush in favor of a playoff. I don't give a **** who wins between the #22 team and #25 team in the Bumble **** Bowl. I want to see a bad ass 16 team tournament.

Why can't you do both. The lower level bowls will be just as meaningful/meaningless.

16 team playoff may be stretching things....that's 4 weeks. I think 8 teams is plenty, and shave off an OOC game. Every major team with 1 loss is included, and maybe even a couple with 2. If you haven't taken care of business outside of one aberration game, I don't feel sorry if you're excluded. And you probably don't have a legit claim to best team in the land.

Like I've said before, the only fans who believe the current system is more beneficial than a playoff are brainwashed by the powers that be.

TigerBait45
09-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Our backup QB sucked? He's a hell of alot better than anyone UM had or has at the moment. Sorry dude, just cause UM sucks balls doesn't mean LSUs QB sucked.

Calm down, thats not what he meant at all.

Sniper
09-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Why can't you do both. The lower level bowls will be just as meaningful/meaningless.

16 team playoff may be stretching things....that's 4 weeks. I think 8 teams is plenty, and shave off an OOC game. Every major team with 1 loss is included, and maybe even a couple with 2. If you haven't taken care of business outside of one aberration game, I don't feel sorry if you're excluded. And you probably don't have a legit claim to best team in the land.

Like I've said before, the only fans who believe the current system is more beneficial than a playoff are brainwashed by the powers that be.

Every other level is able to do a tournament. We can do it for 1-A too. But 8 could work too. 16 would be godly though. But I agree with your points.

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 08:22 AM
This yea for Notre Dame I know it isnt a reality, but I would rather ND beat Penn State then win any bowl game. That is if they even make a bowl which dont look to good right now. So just go out as 16 point underdogs this week, and pull off a giant upset for good ol RyanLeaf#1

Sniper
09-03-2007, 08:23 AM
This yea for Notre Dame I know it isnt a reality, but I would rather ND beat Penn State then win any bowl game. That is if they even make a bowl which dont look to good right now. So just go out as 16 point underdogs this week, and pull off a giant upset for good ol RyanLeaf#1

Yeah I get what you mean. I'd rather beat OSU, ND or PSU than win some bowl game. Just has more meaning to me. Is that what ND is? 16 point dogs?

duckseason
09-03-2007, 11:38 AM

He didn't say your backup QB sucked. He said it sucked to lose to him.

DChess
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
the main thing is it gives teams momentum into the next year, not just from a team morale standpoint, but also it gives the voters a thing to remember, for next years rankings. example a: texas beating michigan in the rose bowl

smittyjs
09-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Do you listen?? He said losing to LSU and their back up QB suck, not your back up QB buddy....

NittanyLion2k7
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah I get what you mean. I'd rather beat OSU, ND or PSU than win some bowl game. Just has more meaning to me. Is that what ND is? 16 point dogs?

ND is and has been overrated the past 2 seasons. THey haven't won a bowl game either. And as for OSU, well... the last time you beat them, Ernest Shazor was the safety back there. And heck, he had more heart than most of your secondary combined.

Why is winning the Bowl games a big deal?

A)You show everyone on a NATIONAL stage that you are the ****. You go out of conference and pull out victories against traditional powerhouses like FSU And Tennesse, on national TV.
B)You bring pride to the conference that you make reference to so much. You win all the games in your conference for what? Not for some stupid "Conference Title" which means nothing outside of your conference. You win all those games so you can go to the best possible bowl game, and prove to the rest of America that you are indeed the best from that conference.
C)You prove that you can win "The Big Game." For some teams the big games include games in their own conference against Rivals. These are important, however more important than anything is to win your Bowl Game. It's the biggest one of the season, highest exposure and the one that culminates the year. If you lose your bowl game, you're going into the next season as losers. Everyone looks at your team as a disappointment and knows you couldn't finish. If you win, you ride off momentum. Less questions hang on your team, your leaders and your coach.

Michigan wouldn't know much about any of these 3 things. And last I checked, you haven't beaten OSU since we have beaten them so drop that arguement. Yea, beating OSU's and Michigan's are important. So is beating App State.

neko4
09-03-2007, 01:04 PM
does anyone have the list that shows what conferences play against eachother in bowls

wiscbadgerfootball
09-03-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.fanblogs.com/bowl_games/006990.php

neko4
09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.fanblogs.com/bowl_games/006990.php

thanks

Sniper
09-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Michigan wouldn't know much about any of these 3 things. And last I checked, you haven't beaten OSU since we have beaten them so drop that arguement. Yea, beating OSU's and Michigan's are important. So is beating App State.

Dude...you have not beaten Michigan in 10 ******* YEARS! And ND was overrated and smacked the taste out of your mouth last year, so I don't know how you can talk about teams being overrated. Cool, you beat a mightily overrated Tennessee team and a FSU team with no offense. Way to hang your hat on that. I'm not making every thread a pissing match between you and I, so come up with other stuff besides "OMGZ LOLZ MICHIGAN LOST TO APP. STATE HAHAHAHAHAHAH OMGZ WE'RE DA **** BECAUSE WE LOSE TO EVERY GOOD TEAM WE PLAY".

NittanyLion2k7
09-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Your entire team is an embarassment. Lloyd Carr is an embarassment. Chad Henne is an embarassment. Jake Long is an embarassment. Nobody on that team has any heart. Everytime they make it to any kind of bowl, they get romped on by whoever else they play. Stop allocating embarassment onto other teams. Own up to your embarassments. Fact of the matter is this : No one on that team has ever beaten Ohio State, or Won a bowl game.

No matter how many times you beat Penn State, it wont' change that. Heck if you want, I'll let you beat us every year and you can go 1-11. Learn to play with some heart and get a coach that has some as well. Your team is looking like Michigan State more and more every year.

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Overrated last season? What did Notre Dame beat Penn state by 25 points?

ND is and has been overrated the past 2 seasons. THey haven't won a bowl game either. And as for OSU, well... the last time you beat them, Ernest Shazor was the safety back there. And heck, he had more heart than most of your secondary combined.

Why is winning the Bowl games a big deal?

A)You show everyone on a NATIONAL stage that you are the ****. You go out of conference and pull out victories against traditional powerhouses like FSU And Tennesse, on national TV.
B)You bring pride to the conference that you make reference to so much. You win all the games in your conference for what? Not for some stupid "Conference Title" which means nothing outside of your conference. You win all those games so you can go to the best possible bowl game, and prove to the rest of America that you are indeed the best from that conference.
C)You prove that you can win "The Big Game." For some teams the big games include games in their own conference against Rivals. These are important, however more important than anything is to win your Bowl Game. It's the biggest one of the season, highest exposure and the one that culminates the year. If you lose your bowl game, you're going into the next season as losers. Everyone looks at your team as a disappointment and knows you couldn't finish. If you win, you ride off momentum. Less questions hang on your team, your leaders and your coach.

Sniper
09-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Your entire team is an embarassment. Lloyd Carr is an embarassment. Chad Henne is an embarassment. Jake Long is an embarassment. Nobody on that team has any heart. Everytime they make it to any kind of bowl, they get romped on by whoever else they play. Stop allocating embarassment onto other teams. Own up to your embarassments. Fact of the matter is this : No one on that team has ever beaten Ohio State, or Won a bowl game.

No matter how many times you beat Penn State, it wont' change that. Heck if you want, I'll let you beat us every year and you can go 1-11. Learn to play with some heart and get a coach that has some as well. Your team is looking like Michigan State more and more every year.

The sad thing is, we may be an "embarassment" according to you, but you still cannot beat us. So technically, App. State has beaten Michigan more in the past 11 years than PSU has. 7-5 season? Nope, Manningham has it covered. White-out without Manningham? Ask Morelli if he remembers it. I can stand trash talk from everyone of our rivals (OSU, ND, even MSU!) because they actually win more than once every 11 years, but I refuse to take **** from a fan of a team who's been good for 2 years lately and has not beaten us in 11 years. So hang your hat on two bowl wins over overrated teams, and possibly try to beat Michigan once every 10 years.

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Yes right now Notre Dame is a 16 point dog.

NittanyLion2k7
09-03-2007, 01:37 PM

Good I hope you hold onto that attitude. Because this year you won't beat OSU or PSU. And you definitely won't win a bowl game. Have a good year!

saintsfan912
09-03-2007, 02:26 PM
It looked like he said our backup QB sucked big time, my bad.

DoWnThEfiElD
09-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Im sorry man but this in the most ignorant response i have ever heard. Your response was disgustingly pathetic, you would let us beat you and go 1-11? You better hope PSU absolutly drums Mich this year cuz it would be so much more pathetic for PSU to continually lose to a team with no heart. To me that is so much more embarassing....

Also im not here to defend Mich. They should be embarassed and it will be even worse if we play bad next week. There is no excuse for how we played with the talent we have on this team.

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Good I hope you hold onto that attitude. Because this year you won't beat OSU or PSU. And you definitely won't win a bowl game. Have a good year!

Ill go on the record right now, and say that Michigan either beats Ohio State or Penn State.

etk
09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
It looked like he said our backup QB sucked big time, my bad.

I actually like Matt Flynn, but thanks for taking my words out of context.

saintsfan912
09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Well you said Miami lost to LSU and their backup QB sucked so it looked as if you were saying Flynn sucked.

etk
09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Well you said Miami lost to LSU and their backup QB sucked so it looked as if you were saying Flynn sucked.

I understand, but it only would have made sense for you to assume this if I put a comma after LSU.

saintsfan912
09-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Well most people on these boards are ignorant and don't use proper English. It was safe to assume that.