PDA

View Full Version : Official Game Day Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
I have this bad feeling that the Lions first win will come against us.

CJSchneider
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I have this bad feeling that the Lions first win will come against us.

If they do, I will cry like a baby girl.

diabsoule
12-16-2008, 02:31 PM
If they do, I will cry like a baby girl.

I wouldn't be opposed to bombing the last two games to improve our draft position. The higher we draft the more we can charge for trading back.

Sveen
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I also have a bad feeling about this game. The Lions have more to play for.

wicket
12-17-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm saying passing plays every down just to help and let brees get that record

CJSchneider
12-17-2008, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to bombing the last two games to improve our draft position. The higher we draft the more we can charge for trading back.

I'd rather beat Detroit.

wicket
12-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I dont want to be the team that spoils detroits perfect season. Their quest for perfectino has been so entertaining thusfar.

CJSchneider
12-19-2008, 08:36 AM
I also have a bad feeling about this game. The Lions have more to play for.

That could go both ways. Do you think the Saints want to be the ones known for letting the Lions out of their "No-No" season.

CJSchneider
12-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, that was a blow out.

TigerBait45
12-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I have to admit, I'm kind of surprised we didn't lose.

Losing to a historically bad team is something the Saints do. They just..do.

Sveen
12-23-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Carolina_Panthers_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg

Week 16: Carolina Panthers (11-4) @ New Orleans Saints (8-7)

Another meaningless game for us, but the Panthers need a win. An interesting fact is that I believe no NFC South team has lost a division game at home this season.

Share your thoughts about the game.

Bosanac01
12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
This is a must win game for you guys. You know if Saints dont win here, they break NFC-South's streak of last-to-first. If you guys want to win the division next year, gotta win right here.

wicket
12-24-2008, 10:21 AM
This is a must win game for you guys. You know if Saints dont win here, they break NFC-South's streak of last-to-first. If you guys want to win the division next year, gotta win right here.

Yeah although it feels weird that we have to win for us to be able to go last to first. On the other hand I really wouldnt mind losing.
Lets just play enough young guys that can gain some valuable experience and if we happen to come out on top thats even better. That or just pass it every down to get brees that record.

CJSchneider
12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
A win plus 402 yards be Brees would be great.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-24-2008, 03:11 PM
come on saints i picked you guys over the panthers as my upset game

CJSchneider
12-24-2008, 10:10 PM
We'll try not to disappoint.

diabsoule
12-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd love for us to win but I pointed out in the gameday thread why I think we'll lose.

Preo32
12-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Lets keep that home record of NFC South vs NFC South alive. I mean, if Atlanta loses to the Rams at home somehow, then Carolina deserves the division like theyve lead all year

Go Falcons

Bosanac01
12-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Well they kinda didnt have the lead all year. They took it from the bucs when they beat them at home.

And diab, stop being so negative, you guys will win.

CJSchneider
12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
And diab, stop being so negative, you guys will win.

Bos, would you please e-mail John Fox and tell him that. He acted like he hadn't heard anything about it when we had lunch together today.

Bosanac01
12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Bos, would you please e-mail John Fox and tell him that. He acted like he hadn't heard anything about it when we had lunch together today.

Well did you put something in his drink?

CJSchneider
12-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah, my ****.

TigerBait45
12-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, he came close

but the Saints are still the Saints so we lost.

Bosanac01
12-28-2008, 04:29 PM
well that was a great game. Best of luck next year.

Auron
08-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Started off the pre-season with a 17-7 victory over the Bengals. Any thoughts so far? I only was able to watch the first half, and saw some highlights but I'll share some.

Overall I thought there were some things that were very encouraging... some disappointments but the overall reaction was positive in my opinion.

I'll start with the good.

- Defense definitely had a different vibe, they looked aggressive and active. They gave up some yardage which does concern me, but they made the opposing WRs earn their yards for the most part, and put some hits on them.

- It's great to have a leader like Jon Vilma on Defense, he was the star on that side of the ball tonight making plays all over the field. Hustling to recover a fumble and he almost returned it all the way, making a great Interception on 3rd down.... (although the called fumble at the end of that play was incorrect I believe)

- Robert Meachem impressed me, he has the opportunity to step up this season and make some noise.. he has the speed to blow by Defenders like we saw on the 64 yard TD pass.. but more impressive I thought was the catch in the first quarter where he laid his body out along the sidelines to make the toe tapping catch, and still hold onto the ball after taking a good lick.

- Seems like Brees is developing that explosive connection with Shockey... Shockey made some big time plays. I think and hope that he will prove this season he was worth the trade.

alright now onto the bad...

- I'll start off by saying the Officiating was very sketchy I don't know if it was the Officials not wanting to overturn calls in the Pre-season or not.. but I thought both of the reviews they upheld ended up being the wrong calls. I thought Vilma regained control of the football before his arm hit the ground, and it clearly showed Ochocinco's foot out of bounds after Grant clipped him along the sidelines.

- Hartley missing that first 20 yard Field goal makes me nervous. He did later redeem himself by making a 54 yarder.

- There were good signs with the Defense but there were also some causes for concern... even with some pressure the Secondary gave up some chunks of yardage in the air because they were not playing their Receivers tight, giving them too much of a cushion at times. Also we gave up a little more than I would've liked to their 1st string ground game, when their power personnel was in.

- Jason David stood out again not in a good way. Just not sure if he has the Physical tools to be an effective Corner on the field, there were some plays where we had pressure on both Palmer, and O'Sullivan and Jason David still ended up giving up plays...

- With the amount of rushes Pierre, and Reggie got we can't really make an informed judgment on the 1st team running game but from the limited snaps they got our running game did not make much of an impact. Still worried about our short yardage game. Will we be able to pick up those 1-2 tough yards on 3rd or 4th & shorts?

Overall a solid start to the pre-season.

Geo
08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Even before this game, my thinking is that Shockey (healthy again) is going to have a very good season this year. Big season.

Saints-Tigers
08-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Ugh, we still get no push in the running game.

I just don't get the staff's obsession in Jason David.... He doesn't do anything but get burnt, like he has really brought nothing. No one can possibly do worse.

Auron
08-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Even before this game, my thinking is that Shockey (healthy again) is going to have a very good season this year. Big season.

Provided he's healthy I don't see any reason why he should not.. from everything I've heard he's put in the extra effort this off-season to work with Drew on the finer points of timing.

I just don't get the staff's obsession in Jason David.... He doesn't do anything but get burnt, like he has really brought nothing. No one can possibly do worse.
Running game is a concern but 1 pre-season game with limited snaps isn't enough to get a fair evaluation.. I'm sure they're still ironing out things through out training camp in that department. Come Week 1 against the Lions... if they still can't get anything going then I'll worry.

As far as David I think he only really saw that much time vs the Bengals because Porter was out, and they didn't want to throw Jenkins in there too early.. if he makes the team it will be because we carry 5 CBs.. and Greg Williams will not have him on the field if he is going to be a liability.

wicket
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM

well they waived jason david so the obsession is over :)

Auron
08-23-2009, 07:16 AM
38-14 win over the Texans. The most important thing coming away from this game was that the Saints actually showed the ability to run the ball with some effectiveness. Mike Bell went a long way towards locking up the 3rd RB spot behind Bush/PT with his performance, very decisive North-South running today.

Again on Defense they gave up some yardage, but for a pre-season game the overall effort was solid. I'm not sure if the Texans would've went for it on 4th down that early in the game if it was the regular season; and even still the penalty was iffy. Still would like to see them come up and lock down the run a little better, but then again with a healthy Schaub, and those weapons that Offense will cause frustration to a quite a few Defenses this season.

I thought Adrian Arrington looked very impressive, made plays when he was in there and made a really nice adjustment on the deep pass from Brunell on the last drive. I don't know if he's going to make it with the Receivers we have, but I think he's a darn good receiver. Would've liked to see Meachem do a little more with the opportunities he had, especially after his performance against the Bengals. He still has has some maturing to do.. There was a deep pass where Meachem was held up by the Corner, but after the contact he just stopped going on the play and they ended up not calling the Interference most likely because he didn't play through the entire play.

Special Teams is still a major concern. Penalties, shaky Field Goal kicking.. it seems like they need to work on this area a lot.. leading up to the Regular season. It is a weakness as of now.

wicket
08-29-2009, 03:47 PM
damn we are looking good again. Lets hope we can look as dominant in the regular season

diabsoule
08-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Our offense has pretty much been able to do whatever it wants this pre-season.

NOLAFan
08-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Our offense has pretty much been able to do whatever it wants this pre-season.

That maybe true but look at what they and who against...not exactly playoff teams. Plus its preseason. If they are still doing that by week 5 then we can talk but its preseason

diabsoule
08-30-2009, 12:13 AM
That maybe true but look at what they and who against...not exactly playoff teams. Plus its preseason. If they are still doing that by week 5 then we can talk but its preseason

It's still impressive when you put up those type of numbers without your two starting RB's and your starting LT.

CJSchneider
08-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I've never been one to get overly excited about preseason results. I am however excited to start the season based on our preseason results thus far.

Flyboy
09-12-2009, 12:55 AM
GEAUX SAINTS!

This game has me worried, but I'm still excited for it.

Auron
09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
In all respect for the Lions and the turn around nature of the NFL... this is a game the Saints should be in control of through out and on paper should be able to win by a fair margin. I just believe they are the more talented, and experienced team all around.

It's time to see what Greg Williams is all about when the snaps actually matter, and he won't have to hold any of his play calling back. He should make the conditions for a rough debut for Stafford.

Although there is a part of me that worries from past Saints disappointments, I believe this team will get it done atleast in this first game. If they seriously struggle against this Lion team after their Off-season, and pre-season performance I'm going to wonder about what direction Payton is heading this team towards.

wicket
09-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Saints should come out of the blocks firing and if that happens it is an easy win. Keep the losing spirit up with the lions and crush hope early and it will be a big win. Come out limping and the game can get way tougher than you want.

Geaux Saints

BuckNaked
09-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I just dropped Meachem in fantasy and he scores a TD...bad move on my part?

CJSchneider
09-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I just dropped Meachem in fantasy and he scores a TD...bad move on my part?

Sounds like an FML moment.

CJSchneider
09-13-2009, 03:12 PM
27-45 Saints in the lead with 8:30 left in the 4th. I like our offensive production, but we should not have given up this many points. Deja vu type moment?

CJSchneider
09-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Win #1 in the books.

Auron
09-13-2009, 03:48 PM
27-45 Saints in the lead with 8:30 left in the 4th. I like our offensive production, but we should not have given up this many points. Deja vu type moment?

Going to write up a more comprehensive review of the game, overall there are some concerns I thought Offensively we met expectations mostly, I don't fault the Defense for a lot of those points because most of Lions scores came off horrible Special teams mistakes, and the major dagger Big play came when Tracy Porter went out of the game for a play and the Rookie Malcolm Jenkins had to step in and was promptly baptized by Calvin Johnson but overall the yardage they gave up was solid.

Flyboy
09-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the defense actually played darn well. Take away our turnovers and horrid special teams and it's really ugly for the Lions.

Auron
09-13-2009, 04:47 PM
First and foremost praises go out to Mike Bell, I'm really glad to have him on this team..today he gaves us the rushing presence we've missed in the past, and took some of the pressure off of Drew so that he wouldn't have to do it all. Even though looking at his stat line it kind of seems like he did do it all.

Special teams is a major concern, right now it's hard to not see Bush as a liability on Punt Returns. The botched punt return, and then the almost fumble.. I'd say maybe until some improvement is seen put Moore back there.. we probably won't see any explosive returns but the way our Offense is playing I'd rather take
solid returns, and fair catches.. then lose field position, or possibly turn it over on returns.

Blocking on Kickoff returns for the most part was poor, the 43 yard punt return that was almost returned for a TD was poor coverage, poor blocking on the blocked FG... all around Payton will have plenty of reason to be upset at every angle of Special teams and a lot will need to be worked on. The only bright spot maybe was Morstead solid punts, and strong kickoffs.

Reggie struggled in the run game he had some decent runs late in the game, I'm not sure if that can be attributed to some rustiness with him missing almost the entire pre-season or not, but I am concerned. Otherwise can't
complain too much with the Offensive performance..

- Brees almost near flawless
- Good to see Shockey back in the mix, 0 tds last season, 2 in the first game. He will be a factor
- Meachem solid performance, Devery coming up with big plays... his only mistake was not falling forward for a first down and losing his forward progress in the 1st qtr
- Heath Evans brings a lot more athleticism to the Fullback spot, and it showed with some of his nice plays

Some will look at the 27 points the Lions scored and say same old Defense, I say the Defense played well considering their first game. They only gave up 231 net yardage, 1 of their TDs came off of a fumble return. Another score came off a 43 yard Punt return that started them at our 13. Overall it was nice finally bringing some diverse pressure packages, and it seemed like our rush really started to rattle Stafford and make him hurry his throws.

How many of you think that if Gibbs was still Coordinator we wouldn't have seen that kind of pressure, and Stafford would've been able to step up into a lot more of his throws? Also it pays to have an experienced Free Safety back there in
the secondary.. Sharper took possible points away from them with 2 clutch Interceptions. I will say the players are still getting used to Greg Williams scheme, but I'm liking this direction the Defense is going much more than at this point last season.

I think next week against the Eagles is going to be a dog-fight (no pun intented) even if McNabb doesn't play... they looked strong handing the Panthers quite easily... they have some solid all around units, and that Secondary will be tough to challenge.. we need to prepare for a rough road game. I think we have
the guys to handle it though. Who Dat Saints until then.. good to open up with a victory.

Geo
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
What's up with Bush hardly touching the ball? Were the Saints trying to ease him into game action? Benching him for the fumbles?

Auron
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
What's up with Bush hardly touching the ball? Were the Saints trying to ease him into game action? Benching him for the fumbles?
Other then a few plays Bush struggled mightily in this game. I mentioned earlier that he missed almost the entire pre-season trying to heal up a banged up knee and I'm guessing that was the major factor.

Other then a nice pass reception when he was split out wide, he was shaky.. he muffed a punt deep in our own territory which was lost and gave the Lions excellent Field position in the first half. He also fumbled another punt return, which thankfully was recovered.

I think he'll be eased along this season, I'm just glad we have Mike Bell, and hopefully Pierre Thomas back soon. Bush will recover I think, he just needs to let the game flow to him.. he looked quite shaky out there today.

CJSchneider
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
- Brees almost near flawless
- Good to see Shockey back in the mix, 0 tds last season, 2 in the first game. He will be a factor
- Meachem solid performance, Devery coming up with big plays... his only mistake was not falling forward for a first down and losing his forward progress in the 1st qtr
- Heath Evans brings a lot more athleticism to the Fullback spot, and it showed with some of his nice plays

As long as these things are in place, Reggie can take his time getting back into the rhythm of the game.

Auron
09-13-2009, 09:27 PM
As long as these things are in place, Reggie can take his time getting back into the rhythm of the game.

Exactly. As evidenced by today we can win even when Reggie doesn't have a great game... his presence on the field is enough to help open things up.. and it will be even sweeter when he does get back in sync and starts putting up the numbers we expect from him.

We just can't have any momentum changing turnovers.. that's the main thing that has killed us in the past.

Flyboy
09-14-2009, 01:58 AM

Auron pretty much hit it on the head.

Saints-Tigers
09-15-2009, 04:47 AM
Yea, not gonna get much going on such limited amount of carries, and he isn't going to get a ton of carries for a while, and they REALLY weren't going to risk him in a game that they were moving the ball so easily in.

I would have liked to see him get some more carries, but winning and having him healthy is more important than quieting critics.

CJSchneider
09-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm just hoping our offense stays as high powered as it was last week. Philly's defense was pretty good (better then Detroit anyway) this week against Carolina. They only gave up 169 yards.

Flyboy
09-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Even without McNabb in the lineup, this poses as a big big game for us as the Eagles still have tons of weapons on offense and appears to still have a solid defense even with the passing of Jim Johnson. A good test for our team going into Sunday.

wicket
09-18-2009, 01:52 AM
just checked the bookies, the odds are about dead even in this one. ought to be a close match if I ever saw one

CJSchneider
09-19-2009, 02:50 PM
S4L - your avatar is awesome

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Saints 4 Lyfe again.

Auron
09-19-2009, 05:48 PM
This is definitely going to be a test, even without McNabb we're in for a fight I believe. The Eagles are a very aggressive, high pressure Defense. We saw what they did against Carolina forcing 7 Turnovers. The key factor on Offense has to be ball security, and not allowing ourselves to commit costly Turnovers... as that will hurt you in any game, but because of the nature of the Eagles Defense those stakes are so much higher. We did have some mistakes vs. Detroit last week that I think we won't be able to get away with if it continues this game. We have to win the Field position battle.. as I don't think we'll be able to drive at will against this Defense.

Going to be interesting to see how the Eagles Defense attacks our Offense, they occasionally blitzed with success against Carolina, but the thing that has me concerned is that they can generate enough pressure with their front 4. Bushrod is going to need RB, TE support in Pass protection. I think we're going to see us bust out a lot of screen plays, Draw plays, Drew is going to have to work the snap count as much as possible to try and prepare for the possible blitzes, and to try and slow down that rush.

Going to be an interesting game that's for sure... definitely don't like the road enviroment, and aggressive Defense combination, especially after a lulling game like Detroit.

CJSchneider
09-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Having Smith and Grant back eligible to play will also have a positive impact for us.

CJSchneider
09-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Winning at halftime, but we had better get it together for the second half.

wicket
09-20-2009, 03:44 PM
well that went well. jay for turnovers

Auron
09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
This was an early road win the Saints needed. First half of this game went exactly as I expected, we got the early score which I thought was vital... but then the Eagles matched us, and played very tough. Offense stalled a bit in that half, as expected it took a while to make the adjustments when facing the Eagles Defense. Brees certainly was under more pressure in this game.

We stayed the course though, and eventually caught some breaks... at the start of the 2nd half. Forcing the fumble on that Kickoff return, the Interception on their side of the field, and the 14 pts turned out of it was the turning point of that game and really put us up. Special teams was a noticeable improvement over last weeks shortcomings... coverage overall was solid, and the punting game didn't give them much to work.... but we still allowed a long Kick return which gave the Eagles a short field.. and eventually led to a Touchdown for them... Just can't have that.

Defense is a work in progress.. I credit them for forcing turnovers but there are still concerns on that side of the ball. Hated seeing that blown coverage early which led to the long DeSean Jackson TD... the Wildcat really confused us early on.. as they got a lot of cheap yards from those Formations. I don't think we gameplanned for them using the Wildcat that often... and it cost us. Have to get prepared for teams in the future that have similar personnel.

Mike Bell's knee injury has me very concerned, he is absolutely vital to our running game; and with Pierre Thomas already banged up if he is out for a significant time we will see some regression in that phase of the game which I thought was improved with him in the line-up. I mean short term we can still put up points solely with our Passing game, but in the long term we'll need the running element of our Offense.

Saints-Tigers
09-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Want to reiterate how much I liked having Strief in as a 3rd offensive tackle on those grind it out drives where Bush and Bell were doing well.

Flyboy
09-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Mike Bell's knee injury has me very concerned, he is absolutely vital to our running game; and with Pierre Thomas already banged up if he is out for a significant time we will see some regression in that phase of the game which I thought was improved with him in the line-up. I mean short term we can still put up points solely with our Passing game, but in the long term we'll need the running element of our Offense.

Right now, word is it's just a sprain. I hope it's nothing more.

TitanHope
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Is Lance Moore even active for ya'll anymore, or what? :(

Auron
09-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Right now, word is it's just a sprain. I hope it's nothing more.

I'm hearing MCL sprain, same injury as Pierre Thomas had. Going to wait until the MRI and some solid info comes out but he might be out for a few weeks.

Is Lance Moore even active for ya'll anymore, or what? :(
Payton said in his post game conference Lance Moore had a tight hammy, and was held out of the game sometime in the 1st quarter.

diabsoule
09-20-2009, 05:19 PM
That's a great win for us but detractors will say it would have been a different game if McNabb would have been. We just have to keep on winning and going in as the underdog. I'm fine with that.

CJSchneider
09-20-2009, 06:29 PM

Bingo, a strong running game, especially the kind that Bell provides with the way he hits the holes hard, has been a huge reason for our passing game being so potent.

Go_Eagles77
09-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Congrats on the win today guys. I had a bad feeling before today and now I see why. I don't know if you guys wanna hear this or not, but I consider the saints to be strong threats to go all the way this year. That offense is scary good, ala the 07 patriots.

Flyboy
09-21-2009, 01:24 AM
That's a great win for us but detractors will say it would have been a different game if McNabb would have been. We just have to keep on winning and going in as the underdog. I'm fine with that.

I'm with ya, bro. Playing the underdog is great.

dpl85
09-21-2009, 01:34 AM
McNabb doesn't play defense so how could he have really helped? Kolb was decent given the circumstances.

wicket
09-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Congrats on the win today guys. I had a bad feeling before today and now I see why. I don't know if you guys wanna hear this or not, but I consider the saints to be strong threats to go all the way this year. That offense is scary good, ala the 07 patriots.

Im fine with it as long as its a well kept secret ;), so dont tell anyone

Flyboy
09-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Has some feelings of a trap game for sure. Mike Bell and Lance Moore are both out, I believe. PT will probably be limited as well. It'll be up to Reggie Bush to provide something on the ground. The weather might be rainy I'm hearing. Stopping Fred Jackson, T.O. & Lee Evans is going to be tough challenge for our defense so hopefully Greg Williams' has our guys ready. We protect Brees successfully and I still think we can win this one.

GEAUX SAINTS!

diabsoule
09-27-2009, 10:52 AM
This is going to be a significant test for our defense. We are getting the no-huddle thrown at us along with receivers that can really stretch the field, which is something we haven't had the past couple of weeks. (Yes, Megatron and DeSean Jackson can stretch the field but T.O. and Lee Evans both are vertical threats)

Flyboy
09-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I think the play of Roman Harper is going to be crucial in this game.

Auron
09-27-2009, 03:55 PM
This game is going to be a battle, Special teams has been an Achilles heel of this team and that weakness continues to show with Buffalo's fake FG attempt resulting in a TD against us.

O-line and Bushrod in general are really struggling with protection so far.. Brees has been getting hit, and it showed on that fumble... Going to have to protect it up.

Saints-Tigers
09-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Bobby April used to coach a high school team right by my house. He lived like 3 blocks away from here.

Asshole.

Saints-Tigers
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
That power I is still working wonders. We are getting 4-5 yards per carry with our backs in the first half, and then busting it wide open in the 4th quarter.

We are losing LT's fast, but I love this new attitude to run from the classic running formation, don't get fancy, just power it!

Auron
09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Hostile enviroment, windy rough passing conditions, Drew Brees facing a lot of pressure and held to under 200 yards passing, and 0 touchdowns.

This is definitely the type of game the Saints lose in the past, but Payton did a great job of making adjustments... letting the Defense dictate the pace of the game, playing the field position battle... and sticking with the running game. Pierre Thomas looked very good in the 2nd half..if he keeps running that way we might be able to hold out Mike Bell as long as possible to get healthy again.

If not for the Fake FG attempt, we have a shut out here. Huge game vs. the Jets next week who are also undefeated... maybe the game of the Week around the league.

CJSchneider
09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I loved the play of the Defense and Special Teams. Malcolm Jenkins is really proving to be a great pick from his ST play alone. This win goes to show that we can still beat you even if Drew Brees doesn't throw 5 TD's. nor does he have to; our defense has arrived.

wicket
09-28-2009, 01:17 AM
I loved how the D showed they are legit although it prolly wasnt the easiest weather to play in but still. Bit worried about the OLine performance tbh. Loved how they won this game though, confidence booster

Auron
09-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Just some day after thoughts:

I'd like to see Shockey, and our other TE Thomas.. involved in the passing game a little more, however from a play calling standpoint it's been hard to send them vertical often because they've been needed to block due to our struggles at Left Tackle... but boy if we ever can get it protected well enough to send our Tight Ends out, there is much to be had over the middle...

Also our Screen game has really been off.. every time we try running a screen the timing is off and either is incomplete, and gets blown up for a loss. I'm not sure if it's something the Offense need to work out, or if Defenses have just diagnosed it.

Bushrod is struggling in pass protection. I hope the Ankle injury doesn't hinder his footwork.. because he's already needed enough help from the Backs, and Tight Ends in Pass Protection. It would be great to have Jammal Brown back for these next 2 games.. but I guess we won't see him until after the Giants game at the earliest.

I really think we need Lance Moore back.. I hope he can go for the Jets game. Drew trusts him and looks for him often on key 3rd downs, and on hot reads when facing pressure. I thought Meachem would get his opportunity with Lance out, but he hasn't been noticed much.

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2009, 05:19 AM
I like Zach Strief every time I watch him play.

I can't wait to see our heavy package with Brown and Strief both in when he gets back.

wicket
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I have just one thing to keep from this game and that is how happy it makes me that the saints are winning these kind of games. This performance with all its flaws (and there were plenty) has made me convinced that the saints will make the playoffs

diabsoule
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I like Zach Strief every time I watch him play.

I can't wait to see our heavy package with Brown and Strief both in when he gets back.

So do I. I've been impressed with Strief for quite some time. I still think he's a better RT than Stinchcomb.

Flyboy
09-28-2009, 09:11 PM
No words needed for this one guys. 3-0 vs 3-0. #1 offense taking on the #1 defense.

Any excited for this one like I am?

CJSchneider
09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I am hoping Sedrick Ellis holds a USC alumni get-together with Mark Sanchez every other play.

Flyboy
09-29-2009, 12:50 AM
That would be lovely. He played a beast of a game yesterday. The Jets' offensive line has been REALLY impressive this season, though - I hope he can get the best of Mangold.

diabsoule
09-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm worried about this game. The Jets have been playing fantastic lately and their defense is reminiscent of the superior Ravens defenses of the past years. The Saints offensive line struggled against the Bills blitz packages so I shudder to think at how we will fare against the exotic blitzes that Rex Ryan and Co. will throw at us.

BRAVEHEART
09-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Should I sit brees and go with cutler.

wicket
09-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Should I sit brees and go with cutler.

maybe if it were in new york now i would just go with brees in the dome and everything

Saints-Tigers
09-29-2009, 04:53 AM
That would be lovely. He played a beast of a game yesterday. The Jets' offensive line has been REALLY impressive this season, though - I hope he can get the best of Mangold.

We were getting a great rush with just a 3 man front, that's a great sign for us!

And never never never bench Brees.

Saints 4 Lyfe
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm worried about this game. The Jets have been playing fantastic lately and their defense is reminiscent of the superior Ravens defenses of the past years. The Saints offensive line struggled against the Bills blitz packages so I shudder to think at how we will fare against the exotic blitzes that Rex Ryan and Co. will throw at us.I think Payton had an off day playcalling wise. he called an abnormally large number of runs (for his taste) and Brees, for whatever reason, didn't check into better plays against the blitzes.

we should be fine though playing at home.

Flyboy
09-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Wrong. Payton didn't have a off day playcalling - he had a GREAT day playcalling.

Saints 4 Lyfe
09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Wrong. Payton didn't have a off day playcalling - he had a GREAT day playcalling.

only reason it could be considered great was the running game showed up. he did nothing to offset the blitzes. a 3rd and long draw play to reggie? that was a horrible call.

Auron
09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
only reason it could be considered great was the running game showed up. he did nothing to offset the blitzes. a 3rd and long draw play to reggie? that was a horrible call.
At first glance it looks bad, but considering the situation and how that game played out it was the right call. I believe the game was still 10-7 at that point... and the Defense had been playing outstanding. Very un-Payton like to go with the conservative play call in that situation but when you think about it? Why risk, a possible Turnover in the windy conditions and give Buffalo a short field to work with. Pin the them back, and make them earn their way down the field... and with the Defense playing how it was that day it paid off.

Looking towards this Jets game.. it's funny how our schedule has played out thus far, every week is building up to be a bigger challenge with this one being this biggest thus far. I remember the last time a Rex Ryan coached Defense came into the Dome; the results were not pretty for the Saints. Hopefully they'll look long, and hard at that Ravens game from 2006, and also the Jets Week 2 game vs. the Patriots and study from the mistakes made. The key IMO will be the Wide Receivers, and QB being on the same page for route adjustments, on the hot reads... there's going to be a lot of pressure being brought and the ball will have to come out quick.. if the receivers can adjust I think we'll be able to pull off some big gains, and maybe slow down some of the pressure.

That's why I would really like to see Lance Moore back for this game..he's really good at adjusting on the fly for hot reads, and Brees trusts him in pressure situations.

derza222
09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm really excited for this game as a Jets fan. It will be pretty interesting to see how the new defense fares against the NFL's top offensive attack. Not really a stretch to say that the Saints are the biggest challenge for this team so far. I think the Saints will win this game, particularly playing in the dome. Either way I'm glad I'll get to actually watch it on TV this week, don't always get Jets games in Philly. Hope it's a good one.

wicket
09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm really excited for this game as a Jets fan. It will be pretty interesting to see how the new defense fares against the NFL's top offensive attack. Not really a stretch to say that the Saints are the biggest challenge for this team so far. I think the Saints will win this game, particularly playing in the dome. Either way I'm glad I'll get to actually watch it on TV this week, don't always get Jets games in Philly. Hope it's a good one.

if i had to guess the homefield advantage is what eventually makes the difference. a windy game in new york would be a whole different story to a game in the dome where the saints quick release game can flourish

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2009, 06:47 AM
I have a feeling we roll in this game, go into the bye week and talk about how great we are for two weeks, and we come out and get steamrolled by the Giants.

NOLAFan
09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
I have a feeling we roll in this game, go into the bye week and talk about how great we are for two weeks, and we come out and get steamrolled by the Giants.

I actually think the opposite. I think the Jets will win this weekend in the Dome. Their defense is gonna give Brees fits and cause him to make turnovers and i just don't see our Dline stopping their run.

I say we get beat 28-14 but then come out after the bye and beat the Giants.

Auron
10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Cheers, I'm hoping for a good clean game.. I hope you're right about the Saints winning. Likewise the Jets will be our toughest challenge thus far.. (atleast until we get to the Giants the week after next) I think for the most part this game will be tough, but I can't help but thinking it will start to slip away in favor of 1 of the teams. Either the Jets aggressive Defense disrupts Brees and our passing Offense, and then the Jets proceed to milk the clock and keep the Saints offense off the field... or the Saints will pull ahead with some explosive plays, and then things spiral when Sanchez tries to bring his team back from behind. I think it will be all or nothing when these two teams play.

I'm really intrigued as to how we'll decide to attack the Defensive looks the Jets will throw at us. Screens, and Draws may be able to generate some big plays but we haven't been very successful running screens. We might go to a lot of 3,4 WR looks and try to get some quick passes off if there are mismatches to be had. Which is why I feel having Lance Moore play this Week is vital... he's really adept at feeling the holes in the Defense, and he'll do some damage and move the chains underneath.

I think we can already conclude that Darrelle Revis will be able to completely take out one of our Wide Receivers from the game with his lock down coverage. I personally think they'll try to mirror him on Colston, as he's been our best WR through 3 Weeks... and he's been key on 3rd downs. That may leave opportunities for Devery Henderson, and possibly Robert Meachem. I'm not sure that with the pressures Drew will have time to get good looks Down the field... but eventually I think Payton's going to try to set up a Deep Shot or two. I have a feeling Payton is going to want to come right out of the gun Passing... and that may be a good thing or our downfall. We find the right mismatches we're golden. I'd love to see the Tight Ends be worked in the middle seams, and of course Lance Moore getting the quick slants, outs, hitches...

CJSchneider
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Lito Sheppard is out. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjgjZ8_Kw5_IWTymagNggo1DubYF?slug=ap-jets-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns)

derza222
10-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Lito Sheppard is out. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjgjZ8_Kw5_IWTymagNggo1DubYF?slug=ap-jets-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns)

As is Donald Strickland, our nickel. Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman are solid, don't get me wrong, but both are downgrades. Losing the depth at corner will hurt a lot too.

wicket
10-04-2009, 10:33 AM
yeah it might sound weak but we can really use less depth at corner, certainly with our depth at wideout. favourable matchups waiting to happen

Auron
10-04-2009, 11:02 AM
yeah it might sound weak but we can really use less depth at corner, certainly with our depth at wideout. favourable matchups waiting to happen
I think it does give us a slight edge, but honestly I don't think these losses will change Rex Ryan's approach much. Which is just to send the all out pressure at the QB from various angles. So now instead of Sheppard, and Strickland matched 1-1 on an island with our receivers it will be Lowery, and Coleman who probably aren't as talented cover men but if our Protection doesn't give Drew Brees the necessary amount of time to get accurate throws off it won't matter.

Looks like Bushrod will be out, and Zach Strief will get the start at Left Tackle he really has to step up.

derza222
10-04-2009, 01:35 PM

Absolutely, against the Titans it wasn't as big of a deal but it really hurts a lot against a team with as much depth and talent at WR as the Saints.

CJSchneider
10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
17-3 at the half. I am impressed with our defensive play in the first half.

Auron
10-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Defense has done a great job taking advantage of Turnover opportunities... however they can't hold up forever; and we haven't had much success Offensively thus far.

Offense is going to have to get something going here, but the key thing remains we have to protect the football. Very costly fumble...

wicket
10-04-2009, 06:03 PM
well second straight week the D wins a game for us. I must say im impressed

diabsoule
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
well second straight week the D wins a game for us. I must say im impressed

So am I. Our defense is playing great.

derza222
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
The Saints played a great game. Williams did a fantastic job with the defensive calls, tackling was consistent and your defense both stopped the run and made Sanchez pay for the mistakes that he made. I have to say while I expected a Saints victory I did not expect the defense to be carrying them as opposed to the offense. This is a really different team from previous seasons down in New Orleans, winning ugly two games in a row without ridiculous offensive production. Definitely a dangerous team in the NFC. Best of luck the rest of the season, guys.

wicket
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
The Saints played a great game. Williams did a fantastic job with the defensive calls, tackling was consistent and your defense both stopped the run and made Sanchez pay for the mistakes that he made. I have to say while I expected a Saints victory I did not expect the defense to be carrying them as opposed to the offense. This is a really different team from previous seasons down in New Orleans, winning ugly two games in a row without ridiculous offensive production. Definitely a dangerous team in the NFC. Best of luck the rest of the season, guys.

cheers.

on the game: I guess Sharper wasnt kidding when he said that sanchez had a tell

Hurricanes25
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Congrats on the win fellas. Even when your passing game ain't running on 8 cylinders, your running game stepped up and helped preserve the win. One thing that really impressed me was your defense. The D is so much improved from previous seasons. You guys are dangerous this year. Good game guys.

Auron
10-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the credit, Jets will be a really tough team the rest of the way.. that Defense is one of the best and will keep them in many games.

As for the Saints whew second straight tough, ugly Win.. but I will take it a thousand timer over. The Defensive effort carried us, which is a very pleasant surprise. In years past when the Offense; Passing game in particular struggled we had almost no chance at winning. This years team however has a different type of resiliency.

4-0 heading into the Bye week looks very promising, but we have a lot of improvements to work on. Hopefully the Offense can get things figured out, to be fair they were playing a top notch Defense. Also hopefully we can get some key guys like Clancy, Malcom Jenkins, and Mike Bell healthy.

Saints-Tigers
10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Running game comes through big in the second half.

First half:
Bush, 4 carries, 30 yards
Thomas, 4 carries, 5 yards

They were clogging the line up, Reggie made nothing from a few broken plays to get any yards.

Second half:
Bush: 2 carries, 7 yards
Thomas:15 carries, 82 yards

Want big stats, run when the D is broken down in the second half. Made a post about it, but everyone dismissed me.

Flyboy
10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
... yeah, no need to pump you guys up for this one. Thoughts?

Auron
10-13-2009, 06:58 PM
These games just keep getting bigger. I know how early in the season this is, but I think this game is a huge test for both teams.

I really hope I'm wrong in my assessment, but the more I look at this game the more I think this might be the first time this season the Saints slip up. Before this game I viewed the Giants as the best team in the NFC.. and even though they lack a true high quality opponent on their schedule thus far, my opinion hasn't changed. They are a well coached, disciplined team, that even on the road just take care of business. We will need our best effort Offensively, Defensively, Special Teams wise, and also our Coaches need to be well prepared in this one.

The biggest reason why I give the Giants the edge.. (even despite our Homefield advantage) is that they have an amazing Defensive Front Four.. and can generate great pressure with just 4 rushers... and those kind of teams have given our Offense fits the past few seasons. Combine that with the fact that we've had issues at Left Tackle so far this season makes me really uneasy.. it hasn't shown to be an issue yet.. but this week we're going up against Osi Umenyiora. Whether it's Bushrod or Strief they will have their hands full... and I'm not even all that confident in the Justin Tuck / Stinchcomb match-up... I think Tuck might get the best of him as well on some plays.

The most important aspect for the Saints this game is staying ahead of the chains, and not falling behind early. We have to stay out of 3rd & longs... therefore false starts, penalties, negative plays will be even more magnified. Can't let that disruptive Giants line tee off vs. the pass. I think if we're to win this we're going to need a huge effort from Pierre Thomas, and Mike Bell.

Flyboy
10-14-2009, 11:50 AM
I think quick passing and the screen game is going to be vital in this game - Brees gets the ball off quickly but he's going to have to be even quicker this weekend with it. I'm just hoping we can survive with a win.

CJSchneider
10-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I have a feeling their running game is going to give us fits.

Auron
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a feeling their running game is going to give us fits.

I think they definitely have the potential to control the clock with their running game. I mentioned in a Giants thread somewhere that the back that concerns me the most is Ahmad Bradshaw... he's a very shifty, and compact back who is very difficult to tackle. In our games so far most teams never truly tried to establish a running game against us because we've been able to get out to an early lead in all 4 of our games. Hopefully that can continue but it will be interesting to see how this team responds if they trail at some point during this game.

I agree that the quick passing game will be a key factor in this game. I think we can somewhat neutralize the Giants rush with quick passes to the outside, I think we might try to set up a swing screen, or another quick developing play to the outside to Bush at some point. I'm hoping that if Mike Bell/Pierre Thomas are both available which I think they will.. we'll be able to run the ball effectively which will help keep us out of 3rd & longs.

Defensively we'll have our work cut out for us though, outside of New England, and Atlanta this is one of our biggest Defensive challenges of the season.

CJSchneider
10-15-2009, 07:18 AM
I think they definitely have the potential to control the clock with their running game. I mentioned in a Giants thread somewhere that the back that concerns me the most is Ahmad Bradshaw... he's a very shifty, and compact back who is very difficult to tackle. In our games so far most teams never truly tried to establish a running game against us because we've been able to get out to an early lead in all 4 of our games. Hopefully that can continue but it will be interesting to see how this team responds if they trail at some point during this game.

I agree that the quick passing game will be a key factor in this game. I think we can somewhat neutralize the Giants rush with quick passes to the outside, I think we might try to set up a swing screen, or another quick developing play to the outside to Bush at some point. I'm hoping that if Mike Bell/Pierre Thomas are both available which I think they will.. we'll be able to run the ball effectively which will help keep us out of 3rd & longs.

Defensively we'll have our work cut out for us though, outside of New England, and Atlanta this is one of our biggest Defensive challenges of the season.

That's been the fan's game plan for 3 years now.

Saints-Tigers
10-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Not I, I enjoy the swing pass, but I think moving Bush into the slot and sending him downfield enough times will make them take a LB off the field and they will have to match our "running" packages with a nickel or dime, and that's an advantage to your running game.

CJSchneider
10-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Oops I meant just to get the "quick developing play" portion. Yeah, we all think Bush is more of a wing-back type.

Forenci
10-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm actually really worried about this game as a Giants fan. For all the press and notoriety Drew Brees and the passing game get (I love Brees btw, my favorite QB in the NFL) I think it's your ground game that scares me the most.

We've had a ton of trouble stopping the run and you guys have a really good attack with Bell and Thomas. I doubt we'll be getting Canty back this week, or even next, which makes it even more worrisome you'll be able to cut us up on the ground.

I think this will be a really fun and interesting match up any way you look at it though. There are a lot of developing storylines and strengths and weaknesses both of these teams can try and play on.

Should be good!

wicket
10-15-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm actually really worried about this game as a Giants fan. For all the press and notoriety Drew Brees and the passing game get (I love Brees btw, my favorite QB in the NFL) I think it's your ground game that scares me the most.

We've had a ton of trouble stopping the run and you guys have a really good attack with Bell and Thomas. I doubt we'll be getting Canty back this week, or even next, which makes it even more worrisome you'll be able to cut us up on the ground.

I think this will be a really fun and interesting match up any way you look at it though. There are a lot of developing storylines and strengths and weaknesses both of these teams can try and play on.

Should be good!

if the ground game gets going for the saints i would expect a saints win. it would give brees the time he needs and with the way our d is forcing turnovers they wouldnt even need that many normal stops. Im curious how our D would do if they have to win it again for the team (although i dont really wanna figure it out, i just wanna win and win big)

Rosebud
10-16-2009, 02:48 AM
if the ground game gets going for the saints i would expect a saints win. it would give brees the time he needs and with the way our d is forcing turnovers they wouldnt even need that many normal stops. Im curious how our D would do if they have to win it again for the team (although i dont really wanna figure it out, i just wanna win and win big)

I don't worry about our pass D, even if we don't dial up the pressure, because I like our pass rushers on your Tackles and I like our match ups with all of your receiving weapons except Bush and Shockey, one of which we should be able to neutralize giving the other one an opportunity to hurt us. Ultimately I think we'll contain you guys, which is the best we can hope for with our current injury list.

Offensively we will eat the clock and sustain some drives, I see Ahmad having a big game, and I think we'll give eli enough time against your pass rush to keep our drives going. This should be a great game and I look forward to it and ultimately I see it coming down to the fourth quarter and while I know Payton has been better this year than in the past, but I do half expect a play-calling **** up from him in the fourth to give us a chance to gain some ground, which is why I'm being a homer and picking the giants.

*watches Darren Sharper pick Eli off 3 times including 2 pick-6's as Corey Webster gets injured for three to 6 weeks and punches self in the balls*

Auron
10-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Oops I meant just to get the "quick developing play" portion. Yeah, we all think Bush is more of a wing-back type.

Well I think we're going to have to rely on quick developing plays in this one.. simply because Osi, Justin Tuck, and Kiwanuka are in my mind the best trio of pass rushing ends in the league and if our Tackles especially Bushrod/Strief are isolated with any of them for too long it will be trouble for our passing game.

I feel if we are going to win this game we're going to have to rely on Running the ball strongly with our multitude of backs, and mixing it up with quick passes... for some reason I fear that Payton is going to want to come out guns blazing and try to set up some deep shots early... and one of the Giants rushers disrupts the timing and forces an early mistake... Payton has been great with being balanced, and using the running game this season however so I hope that continues.

D-Unit
10-18-2009, 01:55 PM
This is the game that I've been watching today and I must say, your receivers are catching everything and Brees is playing great. Not as impressed with Mike Bell even though Payton is relying on him a lot. Nice to see them trust Reggie Bush more. Reggie's speed is always apparent.

As a Cowboys fan who has seen his team beat the Giants in the regular season a lot (6-0 run) before this season, don't let that get to your head if you should meet in the playoffs.

I'll be cheering for you guys today.

Rosebud
10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
congrats on the win, god is Bresus beastly, hopefully by our next match up Bill Sheridan has removed his head from his ass and stops thinking that our D is at it's best rushing 4 and running soft zones behind them. Hopefully both teams can stay/get healthy for that game.

Auron
10-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the props Giants are a solid team, I think they will be there down the road in the playoffs.

I was really worried coming into this game about the Giants D-line, and I'm glad Payton & Brees proved me wrong. The Offensive Line deserves a ton of credit they limited what I felt was the best front Four in the league, and really kept Brees clean... and Drew had another franchise performance... I believe the Giants were holding opponents to 105 passing yards per game before today, and Drew goes for 369 yards, and 4 tds.

There were some things that are going to have to be addressed.. for instance special teams coverage on Kick Returns.. Hixon dominated in the return game... also the Defense had some lapses but pulled it together in the 2nd half to finish strong.

The injury to Scott Fujita really concerns me.. if it's serious we're in trouble at the SAM spot. I really didn't like our OLB depth before, but now with Fujita going down it's going to be tested... awaiting to see his status.

Rosebud
10-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the props Giants are a solid team, I think they will be there down the road in the playoffs.

I was really worried coming into this game about the Giants D-line, and I'm glad Payton & Brees proved me wrong. The Offensive Line deserves a ton of credit they limited what I felt was the best front Four in the league, and really kept Brees clean... and Drew had another franchise performance... I believe the Giants were holding opponents to 105 passing yards per game before today, and Drew goes for 369 yards, and 4 tds.

There were some things that are going to have to be addressed.. for instance special teams coverage on Kick Returns.. Hixon dominated in the return game... also the Defense had some lapses but pulled it together in the 2nd half to finish strong.

The injury to Scott Fujita really concerns me.. if it's serious we're in trouble at the SAM spot. I really didn't like our OLB depth before, but now with Fujita going down it's going to be tested... awaiting to see his status.

As I said in the game day thread what made our front 7 so effective under spags was all of the blitzes, stunts, twists and other trickerations to make up for our weak tackles, sheridan will have none of that though and that hurt us this game a lot.

Plus I still can't get over the fact that we ran zone all game long, that's not who we are and it's not what our corners excel at. I'm just hoping that coughlin gets on Sheridan about this game and that he was trying to cover up for injured players, since boley, ross and canty would've been huge for our passing game.

Saints-Tigers
10-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Just got back from the game. Feels great, no words, I don't really care about who is overrated, who gets what stats, I just feel great.

Still love that jumbo package we run now, gonna call it the Jumbo Shrimp package.

CJSchneider
10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
A few points after watching the game

- Our OL was awesome today. We handled a great defensive front with ease today.

- Welcome back Lance Moore

-Jeremy Shockey showed us why we paid a second and fifth round pick for him.

-with Pierre Thomas back and all of our other offensive weapons healthy, our play-book is wide open right now. I love it.

Auron
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
A few points after watching the game
- Our OL was awesome today. We handled a great defensive front with ease today.
Offensive Line deserves a lot of credit. I mentioned how much I feared the Giants Defensive Line leading up to the game and they did a great job overall. Especially Jermon Bushrod who was coming back from an injury and not playing in recent weeks, and he really held up on his end.

- Welcome back Lance Moore
Agreed. I love having him back healthy.. He made some big 3rd down receptions for us today. Such a crisp route runner, with solid hands... He also has Drew's trust on key downs which is so important.

-Jeremy Shockey showed us why we paid a second and fifth round pick for him.
He came up big for us early in the game. This week when talking with the media he said it was not about any kind of personal vendetta between him and his former team.. and I'm glad he kept his composure, and focused on the game plan. He had opportunities to try and stick it to his old team but he did keep his cool.

-with Pierre Thomas back and all of our other offensive weapons healthy, our play-book is wide open right now. I love it.
Yeah we have a nice trio of backs who are capable. With Bell, and Thomas both in the mix.. I think that amounts to less carries for Reggie... but we will still find other ways to get the ball into his hands to expose favorable match-ups.

Some other things I'd like to add... Drew Brees is such a perfectionist.. On our first Offensive possession we go 3 & out.. Brees just threw an incompletion along the sideline where the receiver caught it out of bounds.. and they show him on the sidelines furious, taking his helmet off in disgust. Even though we were winning by a couple of possessions. I love it and that's what makes him great.

The Cornerback play has been excellent this season, both Jabari Greer, and Tracy Porter limited the Giants receivers... and they have been in mostly man coverage for almost all of this season. Really gives Greg Williams a lot of flexible options in calling Defenses when your Cornerbacks are playing that well.

Flyboy
10-19-2009, 12:58 AM
The Cornerback play has been excellent this season, both Jabari Greer, and Tracy Porter limited the Giants receivers... and they have been in mostly man coverage for almost all of this season. Really gives Greg Williams a lot of flexible options in calling Defenses when your Cornerbacks are playing that well.

I really think this is going to make us end up moving Jenkins to corner. I can't see Porter and Greer being unseated at the CB spot.

diabsoule
10-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I really think this is going to make us end up moving Jenkins to corner. I can't see Porter and Greer being unseated at the CB spot.

I think Jenkins will probably be moved to safety as well. Between Porter, Greer, and Randall *** our cornerback positions are pretty locked up. Also, at the end of this year Darren Sharper is a FA. He should be locked up at the end of this season based on his play alone. He is getting up there in age but he's playing lights out. I'd say maybe a two year deal.

Flyboy
10-19-2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah, we definitely need to lock up Darren Sharper without question. Also, need to lock up Pierre Thomas longterm.

Caddy
10-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Is it cool for me to jump on the Saints bandwagon?

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Great game guys. You guys just mopped the floor with us. Got outplayed and outcoached, Payton put together one hell of a gameplan, and Sheridan....didn't lol.

This team is gonna be hard to beat at home. Id love to see a rematch, who knows, maybe we will. But the Saints as of now are clearly the better team, and deserved that win.

Congrats.

wicket
10-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Is it cool for me to jump on the Saints bandwagon?

hop on, strangely enough there is plenty of space

Flyboy
10-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Great game guys. You guys just mopped the floor with us. Got outplayed and outcoached, Payton put together one hell of a gameplan, and Sheridan....didn't lol.

This team is gonna be hard to beat at home. Id love to see a rematch, who knows, maybe we will. But the Saints as of now are clearly the better team, and deserved that win.

Congrats.

Thanks for the wishes, bbd. You're one of my favorite posters around this parts and I hope you guys get healthy and hopefully we can meet in the NFC Championship Game. Good luck the rest of the way, guys.

Saints-Tigers
10-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Outside of us Saints fans( ;) ), the Giants fans are the best posters on this forum by far IMO.

Anyway, we better clean up the special teams play, big time, we look terrible this year, we can't block anyone on punt returns and kick returns, and we can't tackle for ****, Moorstead saved two TDs.

Forenci
10-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I think BBD said it best but excellent job by the Saints. You guys made us look foolish out there. I'm a huge fan of Brees so I can't say I was surprised that he picked us a part the entire game but it was pretty amazing to watch him do it with such ease. Payton is a tremendous coach. Your defense was really impressive as well. Porter looks pretty studly.

All in all, great game by you guys. You certainly deserved to win and really proved you guys are the class of the NFC, and to me, the NFL.

wicket
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I think BBD said it best but excellent job by the Saints. You guys made us look foolish out there. I'm a huge fan of Brees so I can't say I was surprised that he picked us a part the entire game but it was pretty amazing to watch him do it with such ease. Payton is a tremendous coach. Your defense was really impressive as well. Porter looks pretty studly.

All in all, great game by you guys. You certainly deserved to win and really proved you guys are the class of the NFC, and to me, the NFL.

can someone +rep him and BBD for me. I have overrepped today apparently

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah I also wanted to come in and say you guys played great. I was so impressed with Bushrod just handling Osi like he was a garbage DE. I still have flashes of Moore, Colston, etc. running deep posts and getting the ball right in their numbers. Good luck the rest of the way and hopefully we get to pay you guys back in the playoffs. :)

CJSchneider
10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
can someone +rep him and BBD for me. I have overrepped today apparently

Done, to include GF1080. I have a feeling that we will be seeing each other in the post season.

wicket
10-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Done, to include GF1080. I have a feeling that we will be seeing each other in the post season.

thanks and to go into this. I better hope we have homefield advantage if that happens. I dont wanna see the saint playing in giants stadium in January

Rosebud
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I have a feeling that we will be seeing each other in the post season.

Me to, hopefully by that point we're healthy/coached well enough to make it the game it should've been instead of this domination we all experienced yesterday.

Caddy
10-19-2009, 08:02 PM
hop on, strangely enough there is plenty of space

Haha thanks. I figure if my own team can't fight its way out of a paper bag, I might as well support another team within the division.

Plus the Saints are probably one of my favourite teams to watch.

diabsoule
10-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Haha thanks. I figure if my own team can't fight its way out of a paper bag, I might as well support another team within the division.

Plus the Saints are probably one of my favourite teams to watch.

Good to have you aboard!

wicket
10-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Good to have you aboard!

The WHO DAT express with destination superbowl is now leaving the station

ALL ABOARD!!!!

CJSchneider
10-20-2009, 07:02 AM
The WHO DAT express with destination superbowl is now leaving the station

ALL ABOARD!!!!

who dat - who dat - who dat - who dat -- CHOO CHOO!!

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/248816/drew-brees-vs-philly_medium.jpg

Flyboy
10-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Classic trapgame situation here. Defense is going to have its hands full stopping Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams, but hopefully Gregg Williams has got to the guys on defense this week. Per tweets, Bush has been used in the scout team running the Wildcat and has looked great doing it. Hopefully that'll help our defense.

Our offense needs to protect Brees from Jason Taylor & Joey Porter. Blitz pickup will be key. I like our matchups with our WRs against their secondary, though. Brees will probably be looking to pick on Vontae Davis.

CJSchneider
10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
The biggest problem we will face this week is defending against the wildcat, imo. However, it sounds like Williams has coached/planned for us to see it so hopefully we will be just fine. I'm more than confident in our O-line play and Brees' ability to get the ball into the hands of those who will put it in the end-zone.

Flyboy
10-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Can someone tell me why Channing Chowder & Akin Adoyele are talking so much damn trash? Ugh, I loathe that. Now I really hope we drop a 40-burger on them.

Auron
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Like you said possible trap game. We're coming off an emotional win, playing on the road vs. an unfamiliar team.. and we also have a huge game next week on Monday Night vs Atlanta... So there are some concerns in that frame of mind.

I believe we need to make Chad Henne throw as much as possible in this game. The Dolphins want to control the clock with their running game and limit our possessions. We have to be prepared to Defend the Wildcat, if Ronnie Brown, and Ricky Williams have a big game against us.. our Offense could be on the sidelines for the majority of the game... Although Henne looks like a very promising player, and will probably have some successful throws I think we're better off trying to force him to beat us through the air... rather then have Ronnie and Ricky chewing up the clock against us.

I have some worries because the Dolphins are definitely, a tough and physical team but if the Saints show up and their minds are focused on this game period, and not the Falcons the following week they should be able to edge this one out.

wicket
10-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Can someone tell me why Channing Chowder & Akin Adoyele are talking so much damn trash? Ugh, I loathe that. Now I really hope we drop a 40-burger on them.

Akin is just *****ing with his bro, a guy named Channing Chowder just shouldnt talk at all imo

Auron
10-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I wanted to see how the Saints would respond in a situation where they would trail. They were faced with adversity today and responded with a true come from behind victory. I think this team learned a lot about each other, and their selves today. I don't think I've ever seen a Saints team make that kind of comeback, we were down 24-3 at one point; but I'm glad they kept fighting, and they truly won the battle of the 2nd half.

Play calling wise in the first half I thought we were way too One dimensional.. the Dolphins were expecting us to Pass and we played right into their hands. Especially backed up against our own Goal-line, way too risky going with those kind of play calls. The protection was poor, and it seems the Offensive line was confused by their pre-snap shifts, and movements from their Defense. I'm just glad we didn't give up on the run, and went to Mike Bell in the 2nd half... his 35 yard run really broke things open and when we established him it limited what Miami's pass rush could do.

Defense really stepped it up in the 2nd half... after getting punched in the mouth in the first half they stepped up the physicality and really limited Miami's running game. I'm not sure why Miami kind of went away from the run game in the 2nd half but I think they put the ball in Henne's hands a little more then they needed to and his inexperience in those kind of situations showed, but he did have some bad drops go against him. Wow props to Jabari Greer, is any Corner in the NFC playing better than him right now? He's made a huge difference.

CJSchneider
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
OK so here is the deal, I was watching the game and about to **** fire all through the first half. I was seeing red. We were down 24-3 and I got up to get a drink when I caught my refection in the mirror. I had a Cubs hat on. Then it hit me...Chicago, 2007 play-offs...oh no, I'm the jinx. I rushed in to my bedroom and changed my shirt and hat. By the time I got back into the living room, Brees was lunging over the middle to score and end the 2nd quarter.

The second half was a different story. I loved seeing Shockey go over 100 yards and is Darren Sharper just awesome or is it me. Thank God our offensive line got it together for the most part that second half as well. Count on Ellis being out a week or two with the sprained right knee.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Play of the day, David Thomas with a terrific tackle... on Reggie Bush :D

Great great game for us, Darren Sharper=DPOY.

Auron
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
What concerns me from this game is how we came out injury wise... It looks like Sedrick Ellis, and Heath Evans both sustained injuries that although don't look season threatening... will keep them out for some significant time.

I think Hargrove filled in nicely for Ellis and was able to generate a good push in pass rush, and we can activate Clancy.. to play against the run... so we can get by at DT for now.... but the bigger worry is at Fullback where we have no true fall back option. With Evans out we lose a lot... a very solid lead blocker, and a nice check down option in the passing game.

Flyboy
10-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Indeed, we do Auron. However, I think Dave Thomas will play a lot of TE/H-Back role for us.

wicket
10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
just glad that the team showed it could come from behind and stuff

dolphinfan2k5
10-29-2009, 02:18 AM
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u332/thephins/sharper-fumble.jpg

Absolutely ridiculous. Had to have been fumbled at like the two, and the ref is staring right at it.

Auron
10-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Absolutely ridiculous. Had to have been fumbled at like the two, and the ref is staring right at it.

Oh well karmic justice for the replay machine suddenly not working..

dolphinfan2k5
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh well karmic justice for the replay machine suddenly not working..

Yeah, because this touchdown (which should have resulted in us having the ball) is totally equivalent to us getting a first down on a drive that yielded us no points IIRC.

Auron
10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah, because this touchdown (which should have resulted in us having the ball) is totally equivalent to us getting a first down on a drive that yielded us no points IIRC.

I'm not going to argue that it wasn't a bad call... but that one call did not lose the Dolphins the game. Good teams find ways to overcome a bad call, the Dolphins blew a 27-17 lead which they held midway through the 3rd quarter, and outside of the big Hartline reception, and following TD they didn't do much to stop the Saints from coming back in that 2nd half.

Even still the Refs didn't have a clear angle available to them at the time of the replay, and the sideline ref was most likely focusing on Sharper's feet making sure he didn't step out of bounds. I would focus more of my anger towards Ted Ginn, he doesn't bobble the ball up in the air, Sharper never gets the chance to pick it off and we're not even in a position to discuss this.

Flyboy
10-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Owned imo.

Flyboy
10-31-2009, 03:02 AM
Trying to go 7-0 on Monday Night Football against a division rival... doesn't get much better than that. Our defense will really get tested with Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Michael Turner & Tony Gonzalez coming into town.

This game has me worried - injuries to Heath Evans and Sedrick Ellis royally sucks as well. Hope Gregg Williams has some schemes to throw at their offense.

I think our offense can score some points on their defense - their secondary is looking mighty thin.

GEAUX SAINTS!

wicket
10-31-2009, 03:16 AM
yeah I dont like the injuries one bit. Luckily Ellis will be back sooner rather than later (as far as i know) but I would never think I'd say this from a FB in a pro system but the saints are really going to miss Heath. I dont think we will lose much with respect to lead blocking and stuff but it will hurt in Brees' receiving options and it basicly just limits the depth of the playbook.

Auron
10-31-2009, 10:04 AM
This is the most important game thus far in the season, because of it's NFC South implications... it's very important to take care of business within the Division so you control your own destiny at the end of the season. Right now it looks like Atlanta is the main obstacle in between winning the NFC South down the line, this game is so crucial because a Saints win would put them ahead 3 games in the Division; where as a loss would give the Falcons renewed hope, and would almost force us to have to win the rematch later in the season in Atlanta.

I expect the Falcons to give the Saints their best shot on Monday Night, and if they go down they'll go down swinging. I'm not sure if it's Mike Smith's style but I expect him to try and pull all the stops, even with trick plays and unexpected calls. I know the Falcons secondary is looking vulnerable but I hope we stay balanced with the running game, I expect Atlanta to game plan to try and hide the weaknesses in the Secondary as much as possible. We tried to take advantage of Miami's secondary by spreading the field, but it worked against us as we got too predictable.. and they were able to generate pressure. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.

I think their Offense will be able to put up points... it's just not conceivable for me to think we'll be able to completely shut down weapons like White, Gonzalez, Turner throughout the whole game, and Ryan generally takes care of the ball. Hopefully we can still come up with a few timely Turnovers and take advantage. The early part of this game is very important if the Saints can go up early.. and turn it into a scoring contest that puts as in an advantage IMO... if Atlanta can slowly control the clock with Turner and move the chains, they will keep it a close game.

diabsoule
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Game tonight! I'm stoked.

wicket
11-02-2009, 02:34 PM
im going to try and stay up for this one. could be that im to drunk by gametime though but we'll see

CJSchneider
11-02-2009, 11:18 PM
7-0 baby

WHO DAT

Flyboy
11-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Good god, this team is going to give me a damn heart attack.

Auron
11-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I agree but thankfully this year they are finding ways to win these kind of games, where as in years past after a timely Turnover late in the game things probably would've spiraled out of hand. Out to a great 7-0 start but there are still some issues.. lately we're having a lot of issues stopping the run. We got away with it this time but you can't let Michael Turner rush for 151 yards and expect to come away with a win. Have to work on finishing tackles a lot of very poor one arm tackling attempts at Turner that didn't effect him at all. Hopefully it will improve with Ellis, and Fujita back in the lineup.

They've prided themselves in being a 2nd half team and even though they broke through in the 4th quarter... I'd say the Falcons overall played better in the 2nd half outside of a few timely plays that went our way. The Fumbling just cannot happen... we dodged two bullets.. Pierre, and Mike Bell have to hold onto the ball... 2nd half we only came away with 7 points... that is not going to get it done. I thought Marques Colston had some favorable match-ups... I would've liked to see him become more involved, but overall the Offense outside of the one scoring drive was not able to move the ball to close the game out.

I'm worried about Goodwin... that looked like a really bad injury and I'm still kind of ticked about how it happened.. that would be a blow to lose our starting Center.

CJSchneider
11-03-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm worried about Goodwin... that looked like a really bad injury and I'm still kind of ticked about how it happened.. that would be a blow to lose our starting Center.

Yeah, it looked like who ever it was on the Falcons (can't remember who it was ) was pushing through on David Thomas a little late. You can't blame Thomas in a situation like that.

Flyboy
11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Sounds like Goodwin should be just fine.

Flyboy
11-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Another big NFC South matchup for our squad and this one worries me. The Carolina Panthers has given us fits lately and with the way Michael Turner ran on Monday our defensive is going to have its hands full with DeAngelo Williams & Jonathan Stewart. The Panthers started off slow, but it looks like they are primed to make their push -- their LBs (Beason & David) matchup very well with our speed as well.

I hope we can pull out the win and Gregg Williams dials up some calls to make Delhomme looked like he did in the playoffs.

wicket
11-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Im very nervous about this one. Im usually a big optimist but im very nervous

Auron
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
A lot of people are favoring the Saints greatly in this one but I'm not so sure. I believe it will be another grueling, tough Divisional match-up. The Panthers under Fox are a team that are built to beat us... if the Saints show up and beat Carolina on a short weeks rest after a physical Monday Night win, I will truly not even doubt this team the rest of the way.

The Panthers are also catching us at a bad time, as lately we've been struggling against the run.. we're missing 2 of our best run Defenders in Ellis, and Fujita. While their running game looks like it's starting to get rolling again Williams/Stewart combined for 245 rushing yards, and 2 rushing TDs against Arizona.

I think what this game really comes down to is if we can limit the DeAngelo Williams/ Jon Stewart running combo, and make the Panthers have to try and pass to beat us... as our Defense has been at it's best when they are able to anticipate the pass, and get after the QB and that's how we generate Turnovers.... it will help drastically if we can somehow establish an early lead over this team. Another key point in this game will be the play of Julius Peppers. The Saints have to have a plan for him, when he's on he can completely disrupt your passing game as Arizona learned last week.

Saints-Tigers
11-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Saints are favored by like 17, but this is the one I feel we have the best chance to lose so far.

Auron
11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Saints are favored by like 17, but this is the one I feel we have the best chance to lose so far.

Saints are seriously 17 point favorites? Even with both our starting Defensive Tackles out? (Clancy to IR today) and our starting SLB out (Fujita) against Carolina's running game? Wow.

CJSchneider
11-07-2009, 04:14 PM
You guys are making me feel real uneasy. Get quiet or get positive. I understand your position, but I have a feeling Drew and co. will be carving up the Carolina D.

Auron
11-07-2009, 07:38 PM
You guys are making me feel real uneasy. Get quiet or get positive. I understand your position, but I have a feeling Drew and co. will be carving up the Carolina D.

Well looking at the big picture overall the Saints have quite a lot of advantages on paper..

I'm just concerned about our situation at Defensive Tackle, especially with two very talented backs coming to NO in D.Williams & J.Stewart. Also add the problems at SLB because of Fujita being out, I just don't trust T.Evans/J.Dunbar/M.Mitchell their play the past weeks has been very shaky.. I just have worries we're going to struggle stopping their running game.

Also John Fox always seems to come up with some good Defensive game plans for us... I think we get the Panthers best shot tomorrow, the biggest need for the Saints in this game is to establish an early lead somehow... we can really put Carolina in a hole if we force them to up the tempo.

NOLAFan
11-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Saints are seriously 17 point favorites? Even with both our starting Defensive Tackles out? (Clancy to IR today) and our starting SLB out (Fujita) against Carolina's running game? Wow.

What happened to Clancy?

I have a feeling this game stays close the first half then we burst out in the second half

Auron
11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
What happened to Clancy?

On going knee issue, just couldn't get over it so he was placed on IR. and DeMario Pressley signed to the active roster. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81401fab&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Auron
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know how many more of these games my heart can take. Another brutally tough Divisional battle as I expected, just about everything went wrong in that 1st quarter. (giving up the big play runs, the turnovers) I'm glad that this team has the resiliency, and calm demeanor to come back from those kind of deficits but we have to find a way to play better at the start of games, because of we keep having these poor starts we're eventually going to dig ourselves into a hole too steep to come back from.

Hopefully Payton will be able to give these guys a little break this week, as they've endured some brutally physical games this past 2 weeks. Congrats to them on 8-0 the best start in Saints history, but have to keep in mind the theme of this year is not how you start it's how you finish.

CJSchneider
11-08-2009, 07:21 PM
... but have to keep in mind the theme of this year is not how you start it's how you finish.
I agree, I'll trade a perfect regular season for a Super Bowl win any day. What I do like is how this team can come back from the deficits they face early on. That has surely been missing in years past. They have the ability to stop the proverbial "bleeding", dig in, and turn the game around.

Auron
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree, I'll trade a perfect regular season for a Super Bowl win any day. What I do like is how this team can come back from the deficits they face early on. That has surely been missing in years past. They have the ability to stop the proverbial "bleeding", dig in, and turn the game around.

Definitely this team has that extra gear, and the belief in each other to not let themselves fall apart when things don't go their way. Although I think we can both agree that we will rest a lot easier if the Saints can get off on the right foot at the beginning of games better.

Some quick observations.

- Will Smith has really stepped it up lately and is playing like a true beast. In the past 2 crucial Divisional games he has 4 sacks, and a forced fumble. He has just become a force and is collapsing the pocket from the outside, and disrupting opposing QBs.

- Robert Meachem had his best game of the season, and looked like a legitimate top receiver. He has shown excellent body position, hands, ability after the catch, and probably earned some more playing time. He outplayed Colston today.

- Speaking of which Marques Colston had a brutally poor game today. I hope and believe he will put this one quickly behind him, but he had some very surprising mental lapses with drops in this game. The most disappointing was the back of the end-zone play on 2nd down, it was the perfect pass from Brees and what I thought was going to be a sure TD to put us up 27-20 but Colston just can't possess it all the way to the ground which was shocking. Drew will continue to have trust in him, and hopefully he'll fix the issues but just unusual to see our most reliable receiver struggle like that.

- Drew Brees' also had a pretty poor start to the game. Last week vs. Atlanta he made some brilliant Audibles which turned into big plays for us... however this week he checked into some pretty non-favorable plays. I believe on the forced fumble he audibled out of a run play into a play action pass when we were in our own territory when Carolina was playing conservative coverage.. which led to him holding the ball a bit too long, and turned into a sack-fumble which gave the Panthers a short field. On the Interception he forced one in to Colston when the play wasn't there. He sure made up for it later, and led us back to a win.. but I think Drew needs to be a little more patient, especially early in games before we really establish a tempo. He took the blame for the Turnovers so I think he will work to fix them.

- Malcolm Jenkins came up huge on special teams again.. covering a punt and downing it down at the 1 yard line. Pinning the Panthers back, which eventually led to a Defensive TD was instrumental in the win.

- The Panthers coaching staff really does not trust the ball in Jake Delhomme's hands. It seemed like they did everything they could to minimize the amount of passing Jake had to do, they ran the ball quite often even on 3rd & long, even on the pass attempts he did have most of them were very quick, short throws to the outside.

- Hopefully Jabari Greer will be ok, it seemed like he suffered a Groin pull during the game. If we need to hold him out of the St.Louis game or possibly longer to let him fully heal up that injury then do it Payton. We need him down the line.

- The turnover issue needs to be resolved. If we're facing a better QB then this game could have turned out to be much different, we really stacked the box and almost dared Carolina to throw it, and there could have been some opportunities down the field with one on one coverage... The coaching staff of Carolina just did not trust Jake enough to attempt those kind of throws. I think we desperately need Ellis, and Fujita back... we're having to over compensate by bringing down extra guys to play the run.

Saints-Tigers
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I knew we had this game when Carolina was afraid to throw. They really could have put us away early.

Flyboy
11-09-2009, 01:35 AM
This team is going to give me a heart attack at the age of 21. Seriously.

wicket
11-09-2009, 03:00 AM

have you seen ND lately. This team is smooth as silk relatively

CJSchneider
11-09-2009, 05:47 AM
The most disappointing was the back of the end-zone play on 2nd down, it was the perfect pass from Brees and what I thought was going to be a sure TD to put us up 27-20 but Colston just can't possess it all the way to the ground which was shocking.

I yelled so loud the neighbors heard me on that one.

NOLAFan
11-09-2009, 10:56 AM

Atleast you can drink to calm yourself...or to bring on the heart attack quicker depending on how you look at it

Flyboy
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
have you seen ND lately. This team is smooth as silk relatively

I can't stand ND so I lawlz every time they lose.

Saints-Tigers
11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
On a side note, Will Smith is a monstrosity, and Charles Grant is playing well despite his numbers.

A few people owe them an apology!

wicket
11-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Sharper not playing will hurt but the team should still be able to play a good game.

I just hope that the saints will not turn the ball over this game and work on those things going wrong the last three weeks

Flyboy
11-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Sorry I didn't a chance to start the thread earlier. I've just been busy with other things. However, if we lose to the RAMS I will be making the rest of the threads until the end of the season. :-p

Classic trap game... and Steven Jackson is a pure BEAST and we've been having a lot of trouble with stopping the run lately. But, if our offense doesn't turn the ball overs I like our chances. Should be interesting to see how Usama Young and Malcolm Jenkins play due to injuries.

Auron
11-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I was about to say this is the first time this year Flyboy didn't start the Gameday thread... this worries me O_o

Auron
11-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Well we came away with the victory, but that was a bit of a disappointing performance. We were without Sharper, Greer, Ellis and it showed... again we had some struggles against the run, and Bulger had his best performance of the season.

Had some poor game management decisions late in the game, passing on the 3rd down, and going for it on 4th down. Offensively we still are having some turnover issues... Brees, and Shockey don't look to be on the same page. Both of the interceptions were on passes intended for Shockey. Marques Colston continues to struggle, although he did have a key onside kick recovery late in the game.. but he really has to get it together for the stretch.

Looks like Tracy Porter suffered a serious knee injury, I'm not going to speculate but it did not look good... and with Randall ***'s performance today and Greer's status I'm worried about our Secondary...

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2009, 04:36 PM
At least we got to rest some guys like Sharper, but I hope Porter is ok.

Brees needs to get his **** together, it's funny that he's probably going to get MVP this year, and this looks like his 3rd best season as a Saint....

wicket
11-15-2009, 06:48 PM
I get it, the saints can also win the close one, lets now go back to playing really good and not turning the ball over. No disrespect to the rams but against most teams the saints wouldve lost today

Flyboy
11-15-2009, 10:52 PM
That's it, wicket. No more of you starting the thread!

HawkeyeFan
11-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Great game today! I know you guys will say you played like "crap" and all that. But the Rams have virtually been in every game this season through mid 3rd Quarter and then just fall apart or something. This game we played 4 strong Quarters and came up short. There's a reason we didn't win, and that's because you guys are the best team in the NFL and make plays when needed. Having 3 or 4 starters on defense out hurt you too. But the Rams also are very weak on the Receving part of it ( Only player that played receiver at the end of the 1st Quarter that was on the team Week 1 was Avery ). So we probably got the worst of it.

Jackson was a monster and you guys did your best the second half to slow him down. He's quitely been doing this to a lot of teams this season.

Overall it was a great game, and it was a game that hte Rams made huge strides and the Saints didn't play there best game.

Good Luck the rest of the way!

Auron
11-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah Rams definitely put up a fight. Spagnuolo won't let that team quit and it looks like they are going to play hard the rest of the way.

At least we got to rest some guys like Sharper, but I hope Porter is ok.

Brees needs to get his **** together, it's funny that he's probably going to get MVP this year, and this looks like his 3rd best season as a Saint....

I would say outside of the 2 plays Brees had a solid game yesterday, but lately it's been seeming like there are bound to be 2 plays per game he's going to want back every week... he might be trusting his receivers a little too much trying to fit it into tight windows.

Either way if the Offense doesn't stop turning the ball over multiple times per game they will lose a game... simply because our Defense is not a shut out unit, but rather an opportunistic one that benefits from playing with the lead, and looking to cause turnovers.... and those Turnovers we have put them on the field longer than they need to be.

CJSchneider
11-16-2009, 07:13 AM
For me, the key issue is that even without key players on the defense, the Saints held on and won a game that in years past they may have rolled over on even with all those key players. I feel as if the total mindset of the team has changed for the better. I think it is good that those players missing are out during 2 relatively easy weeks (Rams and Bucs). Hopefully, we will see Lance Moore back in action this week.

Flyboy
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Lance Moore, Jabari Greer & Darren Sharper back this week would be lovely.

Flyboy
11-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Back to making the weekly threads! wicket almost gave us a heart attack last weekend. ;)

Anyhow, a division game.. and even though we should win this one on paper, this is going to be a close one I think. Josh Freeman has the offense doing some things and the Bucs are now playing some good football. It's essential we stop turning the ball over like we have as of late to win this one. Injuries are going to be key too... does Jabari Greer play? If not, who starts? Jenkins & G(a)y? I think Darren Sharper will be a go.. not too sure on Sedrick Ellis.

Anyhow, I hope we're able to get a win and pull away in the NFC South. Should be a good one, though.

wicket
11-20-2009, 03:39 AM
yeah my bad, I just hope they work on the turnovers cuz they need to be gone when we play new england and dallas and stuff

Flyboy
11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Reggie Bush & Sedrick Ellis are both questionable for TB. Greer has been ruled out. Darren Sharper will play... ugh. Goddamn injuries.

Auron
11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I think a key number for this game is 0. If we can commit 0 Turnovers on Offense I'm fairly confident we can win this game by a decent margin. If we keep committing numerous Turnovers like we have been doing lately... then we will keep the rejuvenated Bucs in the game, and they might have a chance to pull it out in the end.

Hopefully Sharper is back and ready to go, especially because the CB situation is somewhat concerning both Porter, and Greer out... and I'm not sure if McAlister is quite ready to step in just yet... so that will leave G(a)y and Jenkins as our starters, with Torrence stepping in and playing some snaps... so yes that does worry me. I just want to make it through this game.

CJSchneider
11-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Reggie Bush & Sedrick Ellis are both questionable for TB. Greer has been ruled out. Darren Sharper will play... ugh. Goddamn injuries.

Yeah, I think if we go in and try to win the game with some crazy crap on the opening drive and screw up it will kill our morale, but if we go in and methodically march down the field and hold them on the first two defensive series, it will take their heart away.

Auron
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Finally the Saints go back to putting away teams before the 4th quarter, they imposed their will on the Bucs in the 3rd quarter really by out-physical ling them with the running game. The final drive in the Two minute drill of the 1st half resulting in the TD to Meachem was critical, as it really changed the momentum of the game.

Really this week was the perfect scenario for the Saints... Panthers lose, Falcons lose, and of course Saints take care of business over Tampa. Now they have a tough game against New England... and I can truly say I'll relax... I'll never be one to say a loss is acceptable but if they drop one to New England I can understand it and I really don't think it hurts our chances so much as it's a game vs. an AFC opponent. (it might hurt #1 seed chance slightly but Minnesota also has an AFC loss)

Would be great to see Greer, Ellis, Bush, Moore possibly back...

Some observations from today:
- Huge props to Malcolm Jenkins.. making his first start he stepped up big time providing good coverage, and making his first career interception.

- Robert Meachem is really stepping up as a key playmaker in this Offense, teams want to try and take away Colston, Shockey, Henderson... well Drew will see that go to guys like Meachem, and David Thomas who have favorable matchups.

- Thomas Morstead with some really big time punts... the punt where we were able to down at the 1 was huge. He also has been getting really great hang time on his punts, and has been booming his Kick offs..

- Pierre Thomas, and Mike Bell really wear down Defenses in the 2nd half... they are both different kind of beasts to bring down.

- 0 Turnovers were the key.. Payton stressed this point throughout the Week and the team responded... when the Saints protect the football they will play their best football.

CJSchneider
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Another point to be made is that we won this game with 4 important players not even in the game. It says a lot for our the quality of our depth and how we can rely on all of our players for wins.

Saints-Tigers
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Loved seeing Jenkins have a great game, he's been busting his ass on special teams. Dude is just a playmaker, we have a great secondary now, and it looks like we have a really bright future there.

One of our backs ALWAYS steps up, those two just run so damn hard. Mike Bell looks painful to tackle, and Pierre Thomas isn't quite as violent, but he looks like he's really tiring to bring down, he just drags you, bruises you, slips out, keeps pushing....

Great when you have 3 great backs, and someone always seems hot... hell, I trust Lynell Hamilton if he needs to step in.

Flyboy
11-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Monday Night Football. Um, wow. Never been so pumped for a game since the 2006 playoffs. Just so stoked about this one. I think we have an epic game on our hands..I worry, though. Our secondary is banged up and while we should be getting Jabari Greer, Reggie Bush & Sedrick Ellis back.. Wes Welker on Malcolm Jenkins is an obvious mismatch. I think our offense will score some points, but will they be enough?

Easily the least important game on our schedule left to win, but it sure would be nice to do so.

wicket
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
im just nervous

FlyingElvis
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty excited for this one. The Pats really need to show that the young defense can play a full 60 the way they played the first 30 vs. Manning and the Colts.

I'm really interested to see how stout NE can be against the Saints rushing attack. Thomas/Bell/Bush and the Oline have been very impressive in the games that I have watched but NE's front line has been equally impressive. The 6th ranked pass D of the Pats will probably be an interesting matchup, too. ;)

Plus I'm heading to a buddy's house for the game. A few brews, some kick ass food and a 56 inch monstrosity of a TV that he picked just in time for football season . . .

CJSchneider
11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
I am a bit nervous for this game.

Look at the Strategy and Personnel portion of Yahoo's team report

RB Reggie Bush did not play Sunday against the Tampa Bay Bucs because of a bruised left knee and his status for Monday night's game with the New England Patriots was not immediately known.

LCB Jabari Greer was inactive for the second straight game Sunday because of a left groin injury and it wasn't known if he'll be able to play Monday night.

RCB Tracy Porter did not play against the Bucs because of a sprained MCL in his left knee and will definitely be out against the Patriots.

DT Sedrick Ellis, who has missed three games with a sprained right knee, could return for Monday night's game against the Patriots after practicing on a limited basis last week.

WR Lance Moore missed his third consecutive game with a sprained left ankle and his return is unknown.

LCB Randall *** suffered a right hamstring injury in the second quarter against the Bucs and his status for Monday night's game was unknown.

I guess at least if we lose we have good excuse.

Flyboy
11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I expect everyone will play on Monday except Tracy Porter and Randall ***.

wicket
11-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I expect everyone will play on Monday except Tracy Porter and Randall ***.

thats would be good news. Saints need greer to play on moss. Jenkins will match up pretty well with whoever will play on the opposite site. When Welker plays the slot I actually like the matchup with him and torrence if he is fit to go.

Flyboy
11-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Leigh Torrence was put on IR...

Auron
11-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I think this game comes down to how we defend Moss/Welker.. they will definitely get their share of touches, no way around that, and they both may go over 100 yards each. However if we can limit the Red Zone damage, and the big plays that will be a success.

I think in this game our Offense absolutely has to play at an 'Elite' level, we have to move the chains, and get TDs.... Brady will put points on the board we have to match him, or even better stay ahead of him. This is one game where if we fall behind too much, we might not be able to overcome and come back from.

CJSchneider
11-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I think this game comes down to how we defend Moss/Welker.

I'm going to second that statement right there. Welker and his 10 catches / 100 yards average coupled with the deep threat Moss can be have me hoping Williams has something up his sleeve to get to Brady fast.

Flyboy
11-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually, now it looks like the only two that will be out against New England is Lance Moore & Tracy Porter.

NOLAFan
11-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I feel really good about this game. I think that this game will be extremely close and will be decided within the last quarter.

I'm so pumped for this game.I only wish Porter was healed for this one

Flyboy
11-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah, having a healthy Tracy Porter would be great but hopefully Malcolm Jenkins is up to the task.

NOLAFan
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
MALCOLM JENKINS WAS A BEAST TONIGHT!!!

Brees was on fire. I loved it.
And just who the hell is Darnell Dinkins? lol

CJSchneider
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Awesome win.

Welcome back Mike McKenzie.

diabsoule
11-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Mike McKenzie played like he hadn't missed time. I'm so ******* excited!

Who Dat!!!

wicket
12-01-2009, 03:47 AM
yeah outside of the very start the saints played lights out all game. Dammit Sed, just go down

FlyingElvis
12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Grats on a huge win. I must say it really sucked to see backup CBs named McKenzie and McCallister out there. Enough depth in the secondary yet? lol

Auron
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Well it looks like the team took this game a lot more serious then just another non-conference game... they really used this stage as an opportunity to show what this team was all about. It seemed they played this game almost with a play-off type of emotional effort.

Some thoughts, it's great to have Mike McKenzie back and I'm really glad he played the type of game that he did... he was anticipating, and getting great jumps on the quick routes New England tried to throw at him, and had crucial pass breakups, and an Interception that shifted momentum our way.

Malcolm Jenkins again major props to him for another solid game, he played a lot of man coverage on Wes Welker and limited him better than I thought anyone could.. the most impressive thing about Jenkins is his tackling, he just brings guys down.

The scary thing is we were without both starting Cornerbacks, and our starting Nickelback... I can't wait until we can get Jabari Greer back in the mix. Also it would be nice to have Reggie Bush, and Lance Moore back on the Offensive side, but at this point they are just luxuries.

CJSchneider
12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Of the 11 teams we could see in the play-offs, we've played two and neither of them has faced us with Bush or Moore. I like knowing we have some tricks up our sleeves left.

(6500 btw)

Saints-Tigers
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm starting to think any and all weapons would produce mostly the same in our offense. It really isn't about talent anymore, as long as you know the playbook, you are going to produce. Sure, a few guys will get a few more big plays, like Robert Meachem, his talent level is clearly showing through, despite not being as versed in the playbook as others.

I can't wait to see what we have left in the playoffs, I think we are going to see a shift in the offense to throw teams off.

Auron
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm starting to think any and all weapons would produce mostly the same in our offense. It really isn't about talent anymore, as long as you know the playbook, you are going to produce. Sure, a few guys will get a few more big plays, like Robert Meachem, his talent level is clearly showing through, despite not being as versed in the playbook as others.

I can't wait to see what we have left in the playoffs, I think we are going to see a shift in the offense to throw teams off.
Well I don't think just anyone could show up and be successful, you have to remember that to get to this point these receivers have had to put in so much extra work with Brees to get the timing of the routes, the location of the passes just right. Payton has shown he won't put guys out there unless they have a good enough grasp of the playbook.. which is why it took so long for Meachem to get out on the field in the seasons before. Also last season we expected big things from Shockey but he had somewhat of a disappointing year, because he didn't run all the routes as needed, and wasn't always on the same page with Brees... (remember them yelling at each other during the game @ Atlanta last season) but now Shockey has really worked to get exactly in tune with the Offense and you're seeing the difference.

NOLAFan
12-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Also last season we expected big things from Shockey but he had somewhat of a disappointing year, because he didn't run all the routes as needed, and wasn't always on the same page with Brees... (remember them yelling at each other during the game @ Atlanta last season) but now Shockey has really worked to get exactly in tune with the Offense and you're seeing the difference.

I find this to be rather funny because while Shockey does look a hell of alot more involved this year, he still isn't that important to the overall success of this team. He catches a ball here and there and scored like what 2 or 3 TDs this year? He really doesn't have the impact i was expecting in the receiving game.

Flyboy
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I find this to be rather funny because while Shockey does look a hell of alot more involved this year, he still isn't that important to the overall success of this team. He catches a ball here and there and scored like what 2 or 3 TDs this year? He really doesn't have the impact i was expecting in the receiving game.

He opens open things for other players on our team. He's still vital to what we do.

Auron
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
IMO Shockey is having a much better season then last year, but overall yeah he hasn't been having the type of production I expected at the beginning of the year.

You have to keep in mind though that part of that is the nature of this Offense.. where the ball is constantly being spread around to keep Defenses off balance, also David Thomas has really emerged as a reliable target. Shockey still provides us with a big time threat at the TE position, on the 38 yard play-action Touchdown to Meachem.... Shockey really opened up that deep route for him because the Safety bit hard on Shockey's crossing route over the middle of the field.

NOLAFan
12-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Don't get me wrong i like what he does for our offense and i know the ball is spread around alot, i just thought he would be used more often and live up to his past performances in NY.

Saints-Tigers
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
That was kind of my point, Shockey is playing phenomenal ball, Colston is playing well, Meachem, Henderson, David Thomas, Pierre, Reggie, Mike Bell, everyone is playing well, and we aren't skipping a beat when someone has a down day.

Flyboy
12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Classic example of what could be a "trap game" and the Redskins have definitely had our number as of late. Hopefully, we can go into D.C. establish a running game and get out with the win.

wicket
12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Just stay sharp and win the division that game, all I care about (well also injuries but the game can be ugly as hell for all I care)

NOLAFan
12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Everytime we play the Redskins i'm frustrated to no end. Lets hope things are different this time.

CJSchneider
12-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Just finished watching Sean Payton on NFL Network dissect the Redskins nickle package. I feel pretty confident that we will come away with a win this week as well.

Saints-Tigers
12-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Been saying it for weeks, I think if we lose any game, it's this one.

Short week, cold weather, bad team, they play us tough in recent history, they play EVERYone tough lately, coming off a HUGE win emotionally.

either way, as long as we trounce the cowboys, I don't care if we drop one!

I have a feeling this is the week we finally eat some humble pie though... maybe I've just been a Saints fan too long, and I can't stay optimistic.

Auron
12-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Well the Redskins always play us tough, as mentioned they beat us in the last 2 meetings... so I'm expecting another brutally tough, game. They are at Home, facing an undefeated team I definitely feel they will get up to play this one.

Last season the main reason we lost was due to costly turnovers, and inability to convert short yardage situations. If we can protect the ball, and Pierre and Mike Bell can come through in short yardage I think we'll be able to pull this one out. Hopefully Greg Williams has some aggressive play calls lined up, to force Campbell into some mistakes.

CJSchneider
12-05-2009, 09:14 AM
either way, as long as we trounce the cowboys, I don't care if we drop one!

Quoted for ************* truth!

Auron
12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I really don't want to drop this one though, I remember in 2006 when all we had to do was beat the Redskins at Home, and we'd clinch the Division of our own accord, and we had a major letdown and lost that game.

We still won the Division, but only because the other teams in the Division lost and it was a bittersweet feeling. I want to win the Division the right way this season.. on the field, and not because of Atlanta losing... Also if we lose, and the Vikings win they would hold the #1 seed due to tiebreakers.

So Payton's analogy stands correct. The most important game is always the next game... that's why this game is the biggest of the season right now.

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Marvin Mitchell, Scott Fujita, Randall Gayand Jabari Greer will not play. I don't see this affecting the outcome. I still see us winning this one.

CJSchneider
12-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Tied at halftime, quite an exciting game. Especially with the Int - strip - TD by Meachem.