PDA

View Full Version : Official Game Day Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Auron
09-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Discuss Saints game day football here!

Introduce breakdowns of their opponents each week, discuss whether or not they will win, discuss keys to victory, and all else that is associated with Saints game day football!

Geaux Saints!

A few days early but I just can't hold back generating some thoughts/discussion for this game. I've been waiting the whole off-season for it.

Week 1 - Saints @ Colts
http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/neworleans.gif vs. http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/indy.gif
Thursday, September 6th. 8:30 PM (Eastern)

This is a tough match up for an opener, it should be one of the most exciting games in Week 1. It is widely expected to be a "Shoot Out" and for good reason as 2 of the league's best Offenses square off on national TV. I think this a great test for our team to see how we stack up against the AFC Elite, with all the Super Bowl hype of the off-season. Some of my key thoughts for this game:

- Will Smith & Charles Grant absolutely have to step up with huge games and show why they are Pro Bowl caliber players who are regarded to be one of the better DE tandems in the league. It's not all about sacks, Peyton Manning is one of; if not the most difficult QB to sack in the league simply because he's so great at feeling and avoiding the rush, and getting rid of the ball quickly. What I feel is most important is getting enough consistent pressure to force him to get rid of the ball before he wants to.

- Jammal Brown is also another key player along the trenches for this game. It'll be a monumental task for Brown who is coming off a knee injury and is probably rusty after not having played in a pre-season game for a while to just step right back in and block Dwight Freeney, one of the best pure pass rushers in the game. As long as he can hold his own.. I expect to see us give him a lot of help by rotating in a Tight End on his side, and sending a RB to chip Freeney.

- I hope we utilize Roman Harper as a extra Linebacker down in the box to Shadow Addai and cover him on those quick dumpoffs and screens Manning loves to check down to. I'd also like to see us bring him on the blitz.

- This was a rough draw as a first game to throw our Secondary into. This was our weakest unit last season, and although I think it is improved. Facing a QB like Peyton, and all those weapons in the passing game. (Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez) is a monstrous challenge for any Secondary. I'm already expecting us to give up 200+ yards passing but I think the key is buckling down and getting the key stops down in the redzone, and on 3rd downs.

- We have to sustain long drives and eat up clock to keep Peyton and co. off the field as much as possible. They'll try to do the same thing to us so the Defense has to get off the field and can't fail on 3rd downs.

Also I can't believe we are only 4 days away from this game.

Flyboy
09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I have butterflies. Seriously. Not because I'm worried that we'll lose, but just... SAINTS FOOTBALL!! YES!! I'm almost giddy. By Thursday, hopefully my satellite situation will be fixed but if not.. some way I will see the game from the beginning.

Auron
09-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm nervous, just because of the sheer magnitude of opening night on the National stage.. but I'm already tired of waiting for meaningful NFL Football I just wish I could fast forward to Thursday already.

diabsoule
09-05-2007, 01:41 AM
I am definitely ready for Thursday. We kick off the season against one of the better teams in the NFL. What I am looking forward to most is seeing how our defense handles the pressure of facing the Colts offense.

Geo
09-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Gameday today!

I touched on this on the Colts' gameday thread, but I wouldn't overlook that Saints HC Sean Payton has devised a gameplan for today's matchup. His gameplan against the Bears might have fallen short in the NFCCG, so that probably adds motivation if anything for him to get it right against the Colts today, with the benefit of a dome. Hopefully the Colts defense is ready and executes well, it's a given that there will be plays that they haven't seen on film before and/or take advantage of their aggressiveness. I'm expecting at least one double reverse, one reverse, and one halfback pass from the Saints tonight.

Best of luck in both teams staying healthy (especially as I have Drew Brees in one FF league and Reggie Bush in another :p ).

LonghornsLegend
09-06-2007, 12:55 PM
im excited for this game, wish the saints luck...should be very close, and being on turf i expect both teams to play their best...But it would be really tough for me to see the colts starting the season losing the first game, it hasnt happened in so long, so it will be a tough one for the saints

Auron
09-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I don't doubt that Payton will have some new wrinkles for tonight, on the other hand the Colts run pretty much the same Offense every year under Peyton and Moore but they execute it so flawlessly.

I'm excited but also worried. The Colts have been an outstanding team especially at Home, and with the emotions of hanging up their Super Bowl banner the atmosphere should be electric, and I see the Colts coming out with extra motivation because of it. I just hope we can withstand and temper the initial wave of emotions. It would be a big disadvantage to get down by a few scores early against this team, with those pass rushers.

I just wish it would be 8:30 already...

Sveen
09-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I just wish I'd be able to watch the game live, but the starts at like 2:30 AM CET and I have to be up at 7 AM. I'll watch tomorrow though :D

terribletowel39
09-06-2007, 06:12 PM
i hope that this turns out to be a shootout. and i hope the saints end up with the ball last. i hope henderson has his track shoes on. :D

Auron
09-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Half an hour until Gametime. Who's ready!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEWczq-bRGQ

Auron
09-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Well first half is over game is tied 10-10.

We didn't play a good half of football we're playing well enough just to hang in there but if not for a Jason David strip and fumble return for a TD we could be down by 2 scores right now.

The Offense that we expected to be a huge strength is getting shut down. We don't look as crisp in our execution and seem to be a little jittery, and dare I say this we seem to be a little conservative in our play selection. (but our O-line hasn't really shown they can contain the Colts speed rush quite yet)

The good news is that there is still a half of football left to be played. Except we must play exponentially better to be able to pull this one out.

TigerBait45
09-06-2007, 09:41 PM
This team is not showing me anything to indicate that they'll be better on defense. I don't care if its Indianapolis, they're letting guys run free.

This game has gone from frustration to full on disaster. The offense looks really bad and the defense IS really bad. If they play like this all year we may be looking at a 6-10 football team.

Auron
09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
This team is not showing me anything to indicate that they'll be better on defense. I don't care if its Indianapolis, they're letting guys run free.

This game has gone from frustration to full on disaster. The offense looks really bad and the defense IS really bad. If they play like this all year we may be looking at a 6-10 football team.

Honestly. I can't disagree with you right now.

It's a 16 game season, and there's no way I'm giving up yet but this definitely is not looking like the Super Bowl team we thought of in the off-season.

TigerBait45
09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Its not even close to a championship defense at this point. Its a long season, I agree, but man they look awful on defense. It would be different if they were making Indy earn these yards, but they're not even bothering to check Wayne or Harrison at the line and they STILL can't stop the run.

The offense looking so mediocre has really shocked me though. I thought for sure they'd score some points.

TigerBait45
09-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Haha..this was almost comical.

41-10? Why not.

Auron
09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Haha..this was almost comical.

41-10? Why not.
I just don't know man...

comparing this team to last year so far is like Day, and Night. Some of the mistakes we've made are mind boggling. The only starters we've lost have been Horn, and Conwell but we look a lot worse.

Just don't know.

robert_in_bigd
09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
D looks worse. O forget they have Deuce.

I think they read too many press clippings.

Back to reality in NO -- the talent is not that good.

Only 19 games ago that was a 2-14 team.

TigerBait45
09-06-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm really hoping that this game was not indicative of how good the team really is..but I'm afraid it is. That defense was just pathetic.

terribletowel39
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm really hoping that this game was not indicative of how good the team really is..but I'm afraid it is. That defense was just pathetic.
it really wasn't the defense. the only person that really looked absolutely like **** was Jason David. how do you honestly give up that many touchdowns and not only that look like you are giving MAYBE half of an effort during replays. it disgusted me. i wanted to shank him with my prison spoon.

Auron
09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm trying to stay positive as hard as that might be right now. The bright side is that we were playing the Defending Champions, and the best QB in the league, and maybe we did read into our press clippings too much.

I guess David was bad tonight, but McKenzie gave up a few deep plays as well. Also have to keep in mind without David's strip and return we probably aren't tied 10-10 at the half.

Whatever the case may be. The team has to forget this game quickly, and move on to focusing on Tampa. We can't start the season 0-2 under all costs.

robert_in_bigd
09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
it really wasn't the defense. the only person that really looked absolutely like **** was Jason David. how do you honestly give up that many touchdowns and not only that look like you are giving MAYBE half of an effort during replays. it disgusted me. i wanted to shank him with my prison spoon.

Your safeties were of no help and your pash rush stunk.

Goes way beyond an over priced FA Tampa-2 Corner.

robert_in_bigd
09-06-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm trying to stay positive as hard as that might be right now. The bright side is that we were playing the Defending Champions, and the best QB in the league, and maybe we did read into our press clippings too much.

I guess David was bad tonight, but McKenzie gave up a few deep plays as well. Also have to keep in mind without David's strip and return we probably aren't tied 10-10 at the half.

Whatever the case may be. The team has to forget this game quickly, and move on to focusing on Tampa. We can't start the season 0-2 under all costs.

Actually the worse news is the Offense looked pathetic too.

We knew the D was iffy but the O being held to 3 points by the Colts?

Shiver
09-06-2007, 11:27 PM
They need to commit to Deuce McAllister. Ten carries for him, against that defense, is not nearly enough.

TigerBait45
09-06-2007, 11:29 PM

David was horrible, but they couldn't stop the run. Mike McKenzie got burned a lot, there was no pass rush to speak of, the linebackers were non-existent..it was a pretty bad defensive showing on all fronts.

Auron
09-06-2007, 11:43 PM
They need to commit to Deuce McAllister. Ten carries for him, against that defense, is not nearly enough.

I agree but the Offensive lines performance was just dismal tonight. They were missing blocks, and not playing with the physical intensity you need to blow guys off the line.

we tried to establish the run in the first half but couldn't muster much consistent yardage. I agree Payton probably gave up on the run too early but the Offensive line just failed miserably tonight just like it did in Chicago. I hope this doesn't become a trend because for most of last year that line played solidly.

Geo
09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Three quick points re: the Saints following tonight's season opener:

1. Jason David will get better, Saints fans. He's not an elite corner obviously, but the guy was playing in the same scheme, day in and day out, for three straight years coming out of college as a 4th round pick from Washington State. He had his doubters then, as he does now, but he'll become a productive starter. Give him time, he certainly is an upgrade from Fred Thomas. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne played against him in practice for three years, they kind of knew what to expect (we'll see how Nick Harper fares next Sunday, I guess). In his post-game conference, David didn't shy away from the blame and looked forward to getting better, and he will.

2. The Saints are a much better team than we saw tonight, especially the offense. Fans and media are as fickle as ever nowadays, so expect the "omg the Saints are a fraud one-year wonder" blablabla from idiots like Salisbury, but whatever. It's a 16-game season, for crying out loud. The Colts are an experienced team, with young talent in place of experience in some spots, which played very well at home and got the better of the Saints today. Heck, we saw the Saints start the preseason off miserably and, using their mistakes to learn from, play much better thereafter. The experience the Colts have together - Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and Clark most notably, I suppose - is what helps them play well enough to win in season openers despite the tough match-ups, whereas some teams like the Saints can have defenses working in new players or new schemes.

3. I like teams playing big games this early. Teams are at their healthiest of course, but I'm a firm believer that being challenged can help a team get better. It's good that the Saints took this thumping this early, it gets a tough game on the schedule out of the way while giving them specific areas to improve and a barometer in mind. And, at least in the Colts' case, playing big games early helps prepare the team and the young players (rookies most especially) for the regular season and big games in general help prepare for the postseason.

I'm glad both teams stayed healthy, btw. I have Brees on one fantasy team and Bush on another, but I can't say I'm too sad right now. I know they will bounce back in a big way against the Bucs in Week 2. I wondered going on how ready the Saints would be for the Colts' speed at home and with the crowd's energy, but they handled it fairly well for most of the game: they are now more than ready to take on the Bucs defense next Sunday among other future opponents.

The 2006 Saints weren't the 2006 Saints when they squeeked out a win at Cleveland in Week 1 last year.

diabsoule
09-07-2007, 12:37 AM
I said that I would write my write-up later and here it is.

1. The game today was won by the Colts and lost by the Saints on the line of scrimmage.
Last season, the Saints used a lot of 3 step drops to get the ball of Brees' hands quickly and into the receivers hands so they could either pick up yards with their hands or get some with their feet. This game we saw Brees do a lot of 5 to 7 step drops and the Saints offensive line showed their worth. Namely, that there isn't a lot of worth to be put in it. Jammal Brown and Jon Stinchcomb were owned by Dwight Freeney for the most part. Neither could contain him and it was fairly evident. Because of the pressure put on Brees he was having to throw off of his back foot most of the night and made horrible reads and throws that resulting in 2 picks and tons of drops. He was lucky that he only had 2 picks.
On the defensive side of the ball the Saints were owned as well. I don't know where Sean Payton's head was, more than likely lodged between the two cheeks located in his nether regions, but starting Antwan Lake opposite Kendrick Clancy is just a bad idea plain and simple. Sure, they played well together in pre-season but this is the regular season where teams will be giving their 110% on every play. Hollis Thomas should have been in the game, whether opposite Clancy, Lake, or *insert player name* the line of scrimmage would have been that contested that much more and more than likely would have resulted in less rushing yards than the Colts gained. Hollis Thomas helped clog the run last year and I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do the same this year.

2. The blueprint has been laid.
The Saints secondary is still suspect to the pass, whether a long bomb or a short zip pass. While I expect Jason David to become better as a man-to-man cornerback, it is obvious that he is not a shutdown corner and is not as big of an upgrade over Fred Thomas as most Saints fans expected him to be. The Saints should have plaid more zone coverages to play to David's weakness in man coverage. Also, it has to say something about David's intelligence when he was constantly staring down Peyton Manning instead of paying attention to the receiver. He played against Manning in practice for three years, you would expect someone who has that much experience facing a quarterback would have fared better but he was burnt more than is expected. I think he will get better but teams will now line up their speedy receivers against either him or Mike McKenzie, who was also burned.

3. The Saints play-calling was too complex.
Play-action. Draw. Misdirection. There's the Saints play book. Take out all of the gadget plays, draws, and play-action passes and the Saints play book would be threadbare, I expect. For as suspect as the Colts run defense was touted to be, I would have expected the Saints to have played a ball-control type offense. Run the ball down their throats. Use Deuce and Reggie to help establish the line of scrimmage and wear down the defense. That was not done at all. I guess mostly because of point #1 but also because the offense seemed too reliant on the pass. Drew Brees looked terrible. Absolutely awful. This was not the Drew Brees that we saw last year and I expect this is not the Drew Brees we expect to see this year.

4. The Colts know how to draft.
For all of their losses in free agency, the Colts seemed to do fine. Tony Ugoh looked good at LT. Antoine Bethea, Marlin Jackson, Freddy Keiaho, Kelvin Hayden and all the rest of the unexperienced bunch more than held their own against what was expected to be an explosive Saints offense. I do not know if this is a sign of things to come but it seems like Bill Polian and Tony Dungy both know how to evaluate talent and draft player who fit their scheme perfectly.

There is not much good to take away from this game as a Saints fan. We should have played better. That's it. We played like crap. I expect us to play better against Tampa Bay. But one thing is evident, the Colts have had our number for years and they continue to have it. Also, as Geo pointed out, the Saints should get better as was shown during pre-season. I hope anyway.
I'm sure this write-up could have been more detailed and explicit if I would not have had Mr. Miller Lite helping me out.

Shiver
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM
I agree but the Offensive lines performance was just dismal tonight. They were missing blocks, and not playing with the physical intensity you need to blow guys off the line.

we tried to establish the run in the first half but couldn't muster much consistent yardage. I agree Payton probably gave up on the run too early but the Offensive line just failed miserably tonight just like it did in Chicago. I hope this doesn't become a trend because for most of last year that line played solidly.

I might be a little biased seeing as I am a Deuce McAllister fantasy owner. He killed me last night. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Auron
09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I might be a little biased seeing as I am a Deuce McAllister fantasy owner. He killed me last night. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

Well you do know what they say about backs who split carries..

but seriously I think a lot of people are going to write off the Saints after last night; and I can't blame them after that performance they deserved it. However I think we'll play better as the season goes along. It was the first game of the season and there's 15 more left, I don't expect our Offense to play like that the whole year. One thing for certain is that we aren't anywhere near ready to compete with the Elite teams in the AFC yet.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Awful. Simply... awful.

diabsoule
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Here's something I wrote in the NFL Official Game Day Thread Week 1 thread that I thought I would share with everyone here.

Payton reminds me of Charlie Weis in a sense that he needs a very good DC. He doesn't know how to build, run, teach, or adjust a defense for his life. NO needs to dedicate this offseason to defense, because they definately have tons of holes. Patchwork and smoke and mirros can work for a year, but to have continuous consistent success in this league you have to have talent. And right now, theres a major lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

I think teams are gonna start max protecting and airing it out against the Saints. The offense is gonna have to score alot of points this year.

In response to your first paragraph, that's what I was saying all offseason. The Saints needed to go defense, defense, defense especially in the draft. After watching this game, it has me more upset that we didn't draft Paul Posluszny or Chris Houston. I applaud the Saints for trying to bring in some free agents who they felt could help the team. We went after and signed S Kevin Kaesviharn, CB Jason David, LB Brian Simmons, and DT Kendrick Clancy which is all fine and dandy, however, only two of them started the game last night. I understand why Kaesviharn didn't start, Bullocks and Harper are the Saints starting safeties, but why Brian Simmons didn't start over Mark Simoneau is just confusing. I know Simmons skill set is more suited towards OLB but he is an upgrade over Simoneau at the Mike and should have been inserted as the starter, plain and simple. Why did we go after him in the offseason if we were going to keep Simoneau in as the starting MLB?
The Saints should also have had Kendrick Clancy and Hollis Thomas as their starting DT's. Thomas should start at the nose with Clancy playing the gap. I know both of them have kind of similar skill sets with both having the ability to stop the run, but Clancy is more athletic and quicker than Thomas so he can do what the injured Brian Young did last year which is shoot the gap as well as play the run.

One thing that the Colts did that caught my eye is direct most of the runs to the outside. I thought it was odd that they were rushing in the direction of what is supposed to be the two studs of the Saints defense, Will Smith and Charles Grant, but it worked out and here's why. The Colts took advantage of Smith and Grant's aggressiveness. With those two DE's rushing the passer as they did last night, the quick Joseph Addai merely ran around them. Tony Ugoh did an admirable job against Will Smith although there were a few penalties that were not called against him. Ryan Diem also did his usual good job against Charles Grant.

The biggest problem, however, is the Saints secondary and despite their offseason acquisitions it still remains questionable. I did not think the Saints did enough in the offseason to adequately upgrade their secondary and this game proved it. Mike McKenzie is another year older and just is not the type of shutdown cornerback that we thought he would be when we brought him to New Orleans back in 2004. Jason David, while a definite upgrade over Fred Thomas, is not the type of corner that the Saints need in their man-to-man scheme. If Defensive Coordinator Gary Gibbs would have shifted to a more zone oriented scheme then Jason David would have been a better fit, however, I'm not sure where Roman Harper or Mike McKenzie would have fit in. Suffice to say, the Saints still need corner help which is something I've been preaching for a while. Still another reason why I am not happy with us drafting Robert Meachem with our first round pick this year.

While against a lesser quarterback than Peyton Manning the Saints corners will more than likely play better, Peyton just set the blue print for how to beat them which brings me to the second point. I feel you have hit the nail right on the head when you say that teams are going to max protect and start airing it out against the Saints. If they do that then there is no way our defensive personnel can stop them. We just do not have the guys to be able to stop it. Another point too is that the Saints offensive line HAS to do a better job of blocking. They looked piss poor last night but I do blame some of that on the play calling. They tried running too much misdirection, draw, and gimmick plays that take up too much time, which the Saints offensive line is not built for. They need to keep with the three step drop that they did last year and let Brees quickly get rid of the ball. They can't call plays that require the five to seven step drop because he will get pressured/sacked most of the time which is what happened last night against the Colts.

Auron
09-08-2007, 01:09 PM
The biggest problem, however, is the Saints secondary and despite their offseason acquisitions it still remains questionable. I did not think the Saints did enough in the offseason to adequately upgrade their secondary and this game proved it. Mike McKenzie is another year older and just is not the type of shutdown cornerback that we thought he would be when we brought him to New Orleans back in 2004. Jason David, while a definite upgrade over Fred Thomas, is not the type of corner that the Saints need in their man-to-man scheme. If Defensive Coordinator Gary Gibbs would have shifted to a more zone oriented scheme then Jason David would have been a better fit, however, I'm not sure where Roman Harper or Mike McKenzie would have fit in. Suffice to say, the Saints still need corner help which is something I've been preaching for a while. Still another reason why I am not happy with us drafting Robert Meachem with our first round pick this year.

I hate to admit but the thing that upsets me the most is in essence we pretty much are the same team that lost in the NFC Championship game, except with some minor upgrades and depth at select positions. I kind of overrated some of our off-season acquisitions. Now that isn't a terrible thing, seeing as that team made it to the NFC Title game, but for a team looking to take the next step and become a Super Bowl contender we may not have done enough.

Mostly on the Defensive side of the ball, it just seems that we lack overall talent level on that side of the ball. I thought our Defense held their own in the 1st half before the the roof caved in and that our Offense really hung them out to dry but at the end of the day we still don’t have enough difference makers on that side of the ball. Firstly we have a big weakness at Linebacker. Mark Simoneau and Scott Shanle are liabilities against the run.. They overrun plays, struggle to get off blocks and make tackles, and don’t naturally attack running lanes. I think if Simmons were a clear upgrade he would be starting right now but coming off a knee injury he may have lost a step, and might not be effective it might not matter however if we keep giving up 164 yards rushing on 5.7 yards per carry he might just start anyway... We still are weak up the middle and don’t have a disruptive presence at DT. I’m willing to give Jason David a shot, that was a bad performance but being on island covering Wayne, and Harrison with Peyton Manning throwing them the ball is murder for any CB.

We need better Gap control at Linebacker, an Instinctive MLB with sideline to sideline range, a disruptive DT who can collapse the pocket from the interior and prevent the QB from stepping up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush, a situational speed rusher with an explosive 1st step who we can use on 3rd downs just to get after the QB, and possibly another cover corner before I think this can be a significantly good Defense.

There’s still a chance that the Defense is improved over last years version. Manning and the Colts have made even good Defenses look bad before and maybe I'm overreacting too much into 1 game, but one thing is for certain our Offense must perform significantly better than what they showed on Thursday if we are to be successful.

diabsoule
09-09-2007, 01:49 AM
Auron, in response to your post that is why I thought we should have definitely gone after Paul Posluszny in the draft rather than Robert Meachem. I was not fond of any of the DT's that were available in the draft and was happy with the signing of Kendrick Clancy. I do wish that if we would have drafted Puz that we could have gone after another linebacker like Stephen Nicholas, Tim Shaw, or H.B. Blades. That would have given us one starter and possibly another one in a few years and would have upgrade our LB corps.

Auron
09-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Ok it's time to move on and focus on next Sunday's game against the Buccaneers. Only Week 2 but as a Divisional opponent this is a very important game.

Week 2 - Saints @ Buccaneers
http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/neworleans.gif vs. http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/tampabay.gif
Sunday, September 16th. 1:00 PM (Eastern)

This next game will show us what this team is truly made of and will be a good test of their mental toughness. Can the team huddle up together, put the past behind them, come out and play a complete game with something to prove? Or will the after effects from that discouraging loss linger and lower our level of play? I believe we have the right type of leadership and coaching on this team to move forward and learn from past mistakes.

Some of my keys to winning this game
- I hope to see better preparation from a Game Planning standpoint from the Coaching staff in this game. We really didn't adjust very well at all to what the Colts were doing in the opener. The Colts Defense wasn't fooled much by our screens, draws, and misdirection runs and we didn't seem to have much of a back up plan.

- The Bucs also run a Base Cover-2 Defense so we'll see how well the players and coaching staff can adjust. IMO the best way to attack the Cover 2 Defense is to attack the middle of the field. Stretch the field vertically with the Slot WR, and or TE and hit the underneath routes. Once you get the Line Backers playing tight you can attack the seam downfield behind the LB level, and in front of the Safeties. Of course we must be able to run the ball well. To keep the pass rushers from teeing off, and to have manageable down and distance situations.

- Our WRs must release off the Line of scrimmage better. Too many times they were jammed at the line by the Colts corners, which disrupted their timing and ability to get into routes properly. Which really threw our passing game off. It goes without saying the Offensive line must play significantly better in Pass protection to give Brees a chance at actually setting up and stepping into his throws. The overall execution especially on 3rd down must improve.

- On Defense there really is no way we can give up the same kind of yardage on the Ground that we did. Better gap control, and tackling are the key. I suspect Tampa will try to attack our Corners downfield with Galloway so the Safeties need to be ready.

Geo
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I like the Saints' chances this week, even if it's on the road.

Imo, after experiencing the speed of the Colts, they will be quite ready for the Bucs on both sides of the ball. There might be some concern for the heat, I suppose, but the team is deep at RB and WR. I think we'll see the offense do some good things, maybe better utilizing Reggie and Duece (or giving them more touches to make things happen, at least), and Brees looking more like the Top 5 QB he is.

The Bucs don't really have a deep threat other than Joey Galloway, and he's a wise veteran who will likely get his ~5 catches and ~90 yards by the time the game is over. I doubt the Saints defensive line goes sackless this week, and having Caddy and Brian Kelly dinged up certainly doesn't help the Bucs.

Auron
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm not worried about the heat factor the Saints held 2 a days at their training camp in Jackson, Mississippi where the Heat index often topped 95+ degrees.

I think a big factor in last week's loss that was sort of overlooked. Was maybe we just weren't prepared for the hostile enviroment in the RCA Dome. The tempo the ceremony set up really got the crowd emotionally fired up. Add to that we had to go with a Silent Count, which the Colts D-linemen could easily get a read on and jump. Put us at another disadvantage.

I need to keep tracking the status of Brian Kelly, and Cadillac but them being questionable to play would be a blow. I'm actually worried about Michael Pittman he's a big, bruising, downhill style runner. Exactly the type of back that can grind out our Defense. (Ladell Betts last season)

diabsoule
09-13-2007, 03:42 AM
This game should definitely show us where the Saints are at. I'm hoping we see an extremely impressive performance out of them this week.

Flyboy
09-15-2007, 02:40 AM
I'm hoping for a very impressive blowout, but I'll just take the win at this point.

Auron
09-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not able to get the game.. but what is going on? I'm trying to follow on NFL.com we're down 14-0, and just committed 2 Offensive holding penalties on 1 drive.

Auron
09-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm almost speechless, there's not really much I can say but this team needs an identity check they look nothing like last year. Where is the creative playcalling that keeps Defenses off guard? Where is the passion and intensity?

Judging by the NFC and particularly the way the South is shaping 0-2 is not impossible to bounce back from; But it will be.. if we continue to play like this for the rest of the season.

TigerBait45
09-16-2007, 03:08 PM
6-10 here we come.

diabsoule
09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
The good news is that if we continue to play like this we'll end up with a high draft pick so we can get an awesome linebacker or cornerback.

TigerBait45
09-16-2007, 07:34 PM
It'd be pretty cool to get Dorsey out of the deal. I haven't given up hope yet but its fading fast. This team just can't stop anyone.

diabsoule
09-17-2007, 04:17 AM
I'd like to have Dorsey or Dan Conner. Three things are apparent: we need an impact DT, an impact LB, and an impact CB.

TigerBait45
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Dan Connor would be awesome too. Or maybe Talib from Kansas.

Auron
09-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Well I forced myself to go back and re-watch the Tampa game here's some of my observations.

- On the very first Offensive series of the game Devery Henderson dropped 2 catchable passes, and then again in the 2nd quarter he couldn't make a good enough play on an Endzone fade. They weren't gimme receptions by any means but they were catches that NFL caliber Receivers make often, or at least make a better play on then he did. I really think the Coach's patience with Devery is getting very thin, and that he may be benched as soon as this week. If he wasn't already.. (Patten, Moore played instead of him in the 2nd half) His hands are becoming too much of a liability on Offense and the drops are really killing any momentum we might establish on Drives.

- 3rd down execution is just killing us.. Second drive of the game Deuce actually picks up the 1st on a run up the middle but Fumbles the football...which really killed our momentum. Jeff Faine really didn't do a good job of blocking their MLB, Ruud he got a good initial drive but failed to finish the block - and Ruud was just able to shed the block too easily and strip Deuce of the football. This error really killed our Offensive rhythm, and might've been the early turning point of the game as the Bucs scored a Touchdown on the ensuing possession.

- I still don't think the Defense is as absolutely atrocious as the score is making it look. Make no mistake it's definitely a unit lacking talent overall but on the Bucs first 5 possesions, we managed to make them go 3 and out Three times, and 1 of their Touchdown drives they started with a short field because of a fumble from our Offense. During that same span we Punted 3 times, lost a fumble, and then missed a field goal. Simply put.. our Defense is on the field way too long. It's obvious the Offense is leaving them out to dry and isn't holding up their share. If our Offense would play up to it's potential and go on those 6-8 minute scoring drives like it's designed to do our Defense wouldn't have as much burden on it and could actually play fresh, and with a lead...something they haven't had all season so far.

- Ball security with our backs is a huge issue. Payton needs to get Reggie, and Deuce to run overtime in Fumble Prevention drills. We had 4 fumbles between the both of them in just the first half, and to imagine only 1 was lost. There's simply no excuse for that.

- Reggie's Personal Foul early in the 3rd quarter was absolutely inexcusable. At that point in the game we were only down 21-0 and were just starting to gain some Offensive rhythm. I know June kneed him as he was down, but you have to keep your composure in that situation and just get back to the huddle.

- I know it sounds kind of cliche but Tampa just wanted this game more than us. They were so fired up, playing with so much passion, bringing the huge hits on every play. We just couldn't match their intensity level.

- The Offensive line played miserably, I don't know how or why they've regressed so much from last year but even back up players like Greg White, and Jovan Haye man handled Jammal Brown, Jamar Nesbit, and Jahri Evans at times; getting to the QB before he even finished dropping back. It's miscommunication, blown blocking assignments, and them just getting overpowered at the snap.

- Brees just isn't on the same page with his Wide Receivers, right at the 2:00 minute warning at the end of the 1st half Brees threw the Fade stop along the right sidelines to Patten. The exact same play that was executed beautifully vs. KC in the Pre-Season... but this time Patten kept going and ran the Fade deeper, thus the throw went no where but out of bounds. Drew's just not seeing the field. He needs to be more patient, but honestly he can't because the protection won't allow for him to be patient so he feels he has to hurry to get the ball out. On the Interception, it was just a simple zone June jammed the slot WR at the line, and then dropped right back into the Hook Zone in front of Patten. Brees just needed to look off the Linebacker and clear the zone a little better, and he could've had Colston deeper down the seam.

- Drew Brees ran a QB sneak...down by the goal-line...and I almost died.. :eek: thankfully he came back out of the pile in one piece.

Maybe I'm crazy but somewhere deep down there's a good football team they just have to find themselves again. If they can't get it going at Home, on Monday Night and at least play a competitive game after 3 weeks I don't know if they ever will.

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 01:44 AM
Like I said after the Indy game, the main problem we're having with our team right now is the offensive line. I don't know WHAT it is, but it's just been bad.

Tomorrow is a HUGE game... I hate the term "must-win", but we really really need to seize this one. VY is going to be a big factor, but hopefully with the home crowd we can start righting the ship.

terribletowel39
09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
only four hours to KO. predictions everyone??

i think the saints O finally gets going and my prediction will be 44-28, saints winning. (highly unlikely its that high, but whatev.)

Auron
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Week 3 - Titans @ Saints
http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/tennessee.gif vs. http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/neworleans.gif
Monday, September 24th. 8:30 PM (Eastern)

- I'll just go ahead and say it.. this is a must win game for the Saints, well at least in my mind it is. We have to get the ball rolling somehow and just get that first Win, and then everything else will fall into place. If we come out flat and play a terrible all-around game for the Third Week in row there will be some serious problems going into the Bye Week. I just want to see some fire, and intensity maybe being on Home turf for the first time this season can give the players a boost and they can rally behind the Dome crowd.

- I'd really like Payton to go back to some of the original plays we were so successful at last season. The Bush reverse, and Ghost motion plays. Things that kept Defenses off balance, and honest on the backside of the running plays and opened some lanes for Deuce last year. Utilize the 3 step drop package more often in the play calling.

- I hope we can get Drew Brees in a rhythm early, set up some quick, high percentage passes early to get him on a roll, and that can open up some deeper plays for us later in the game.

- I'm a little concerned about the match-up problems our Defense faces against Tennessee's running game in which Vince Young gives them a very unique aspect. We have to contain the running gaps a lot better, and take away VY's running lanes. Will Smith, and Charles Grant can't get to aggressive rushing the passer and might have to play more of a contain role because VY is very good at eluding Defenders who overpursue and scrambling out of the pocket.

The Saints really seem to play their best when I doubt them the most. I hope we at least play a good game and give a solid effort at Home.

Flyboy
09-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, we really need to win this one. Watch for Roman Harper to be the spy on VY just like he was against Vick last year in the home opener.

I don't care if we win by 30 or 1, I just want to win. :(

Auron
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, we really need to win this one. Watch for Roman Harper to be the spy on VY just like he was against Vick last year in the home opener.

I don't care if we win by 30 or 1, I just want to win. :(

I agree at this point I'll give anything for a win, no matter if it's ugly or not. I'll take a nailbiter 30-27 win coming off a last second field goal, or a sluggish Defensive type game. (if we can pull one off)

I think the key as always is in the Turnover ratio, where we have been miserable at in all our losses. Holding onto the football, and making smart decision is crucial. (cover up the football, no need to fight for extra yardage when there is no hope) Also it would be great if Defensively we could force a Turnover, or 2. If our Offense struggles a big Defensive play could possibly give them a spark if they end up with good field position.

TigerBait45
09-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Deuce is hurt. This can't be good.

TitanHope
09-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Good game, guys.

I hope Deuce is ok, and I'm rooting for you guys for the rest of the season.

TigerBait45
09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
This team is going to give me headaches all season.

If Deuce's injury is anything significant..oh man its going to be hideous.

Auron
09-25-2007, 12:31 AM
So far this season has made me feel like I've been kicked in the face, and every time I try to get back up I get kicked in the face again. I'm just so glad there's a Bye Week this early because I don't know how much more heartbreak I can take, and after everything we went through last season and the season before it hurts that much more. I kind of wonder why this always happens to the Saints, everytime it looks like we're about to turn the corner and make the next step as a franchise we always fall off a cliff. It happened with Haslett/Brooks and it looks like year 2 of the Payton regime is going down that same route.

KFFL, and ESPN are reporting Deuce tore his ACL the same one that was repaired in the game, and is out for the season. KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#421972)
Saints | McAllister tears ACL
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:56:08 -0700

ESPNews reports New Orleans Saints RB Deuce McAllister (ACL) suffered a torn ACL Week 3 against the Tennessee Titans. He will likely miss the rest of the 2007 season.

TigerBait45
09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
This season is exactly what I was afraid of. I just had a gut feeling that we'd come out this year and fall flat on our faces.

I'm disappointed but its really nothing new. I'm so used to futility from this franchise that it doesn't really bother me. Time to start building for the future..again.

Geo
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Any word on Jamaal Brown?

Flyboy
09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Any word on Jamaal Brown?

Other than he's been absolutely horrid so far this year? Nah, nothing on that front.

Auron
09-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I heard he suffered a dislocated finger. Maybe he hasn't fully recovered from the Bone Bruise he suffered in the off-season? I still can't quite figure out how a unit the gave up only 18 sacks through 15 games, can completely fall off a cliff the next year.

Part of an article on FootballOutsiders, on the Offensive line. Every Play Counts (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/09/26/ramblings/every-play-counts/5531/)
Plays on which none of the five offensive linemen looked like competent professional football players were common. Consider, for instance, the second play of the second half. On that play, the Titans rushed five and the Saints had seven in to block. That should have given quarterback Drew Brees plenty of time to pass. Instead, Brees was pressured from the right, the left and the middle. Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch was the player who hit Brees as he threw, but the other four Titans rushing him all got close.

The worst player on the field Monday night was probably Nesbit, who was brutalized by Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. On third-and-6 on the Saintsí first drive, Brees had pressure in his face from both Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch. The pressure came on a stunt, with Haynesworth going to the outside and Vanden Bosch coming inside, but it wasnít trickery that allowed the Titansí front to overpower the Saintsí line, it was sheer force. Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch just overpowered Nesbit and Brown.

Right now I think the best case scenario for the Saints is having a season like the Packers, or Titans last year where they start out terribly slow, and then start to click midway through and go on a winning streak at the end of the year to finish 8-8 and just miss the playoffs.

Auron
10-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Week 5 - Panthers @ Saints
http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/carolina.gif vs. http://www.logodesign.com/images/nfl-logos/neworleans.gif
Sunday, October 7th. 1:00 PM (Eastern)

- After a Bye Week hopefully the team has had the proper time to just rest, and recollect themselves. I just hope the team plays loose, confident, and calm. I think in some of the games this season they've felt the burden of high expectations and have started to press, and start playing out of desperation; and when you do that you force errors. This team needs to go back to playing smart & fundamental football.

- I think we start working in some of the younger guys. With Jason David out for a while, I hope Usama Young sees some more time in Nickel packages. David Patten is questionable, so maybe Robert Meachem will be activated for the first time this season. Also Pierre Thomas should get some touches, Payton should have a few packages to get him on some screens, and draw plays.

- Eh not really much else to say..the Panthers are going through some struggles of their own lately. So it should be a different atmosphere not facing a team that's on a hot streak and fully confident. They key IMO is playing loose, and not panicking if things don't go so well early on.

Flyboy
10-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Good write-up, Auron. I just want a win more than anything at this point.

diabsoule
10-07-2007, 01:39 PM
So far I haven't seen anything out of the Saints that would show that they have done anything to tweak their offense.

Flyboy
10-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I just realized that we get the Seahawks next weekend on national television.

That's gonna be fun.

Geo
10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm not looking forward to this weekend's match-up, guys. The Seahawks at home play defense as well as anyone in this league, their front four will pressure the Saints offensive line more than the Panthers did. Their offense went to blazes last week in Pittsburgh, but it's a good offense.

Deion Branch is out for the Seahawks, though. But after being so embarrased last week, they should be even further motivated this week.

Best of luck to the Saints, they'll need big plays from both the offense and the defense, plus for Olindo freaking Mare to make every field goal, to pull this out.

Flyboy
10-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Gametime!

Geaux Saints!

*bites fingernails*

diabsoule
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Finally! We finally got that W!

I really like what I see out of David Patten and Lance Moore. I also liked what we were doing with Bush, however, I want to see Pierre Thomas in there to replace Stecker. I also still want to see Brian Simmons in there to replace either Shanle or Simoneau. I loved what I saw out of Usama Young.

Geo
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Congrats to the Saints on their first win of the season, even if it took a while to get there. ;)

The offense, defense, and special teams all made plays to help get the victory. David Patten was huge tonight, catching just about everything thrown his way.

Auron
10-14-2007, 10:40 PM
It's just 1 win out of a long season, but at least we finally snapped at of this really bad slump. Of course if we go out next week and lose to Atlanta this Win will mean nothing.

but I can be happy at least for now. This week will feel much better. :)

TigerBait45
10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Its a start. THey definitely looked good tonight.

Auron
10-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Garry Gibbs did a great job of finally dialing up some Pressure Packages. I think we're a much better Defense when we mix it up, and bring some extra guys on the blitz rather than just rush 4 and drop everyone in coverage. (we were getting picked apart doing that in the earlier games) There was one play in particular where we shifted Grant, over to the Right Defensive side so Seattle's Left side of the Offensive line had to worry about blocking our 2 best pass rushers, which allowed Roman Harper to come clean on a Safety blitz. We managed to disrupt Hasselbeck a bit and throw off his timing.

Payton and the Offense finally managed to get into a groove from a Play calling, standpoint and an execution standpoint. I really liked how Reggie Bush was utilized early on in the game, I thought he did a good job of moving forward and hitting the hole early.. but I still would like to see a little more consistency from him and the run blocking in general. Did not like the fact we went into an Ultra conservative mode late in the game, but I can't blame Payton he had to protect the lead and there was no reason to jeopardize the game by forcing a risky play which could lead to a turnover.

I think Lance Moore, and David Patten are really establishing themselves, and getting comfortable in this Offense. Bad news for Devery Henderson whose role will probably decrease even more now, but both Lance, and Patten earned it they found the creases in the Defense and made some great catches to move the chains tonight. Colston is in a bit of a slump right now, but if he can break out of it (and I think he will) The Offense may finally be able to go back to moving the ball with very good frequency. I Still think we need to utilize Eric Johnson and his size, a little bit more over the middle.

Just finally glad to get a Win, disappointed that it took this long for the team to finally discover themselves.. but hey the past is in the past and it's time to make the most of this season. I thought this was an all-around team effort but Game balls go out to Mike McKenzie, Roman Harper, & Lance Moore for outstanding performances.

Auron
10-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Video from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8036bff4) on how Sean Payton improvised and did some things Scheme wise.. to open up some running lanes for Reggie Bush. Utilized a Designed Sprint action Draw, fake reverses, to open up some space on the ground for Reggie.

Saw some really encouraging things in the Offensive design of the Game plan. Offensively we struggled to run the ball consistently in the 2nd half of the Seattle game but I'm hoping that Payton can pull a few more tricks out of his bag Scheme wise for Atlanta, that can create some more running lanes. I'd like to see Pierre Thomas get more touches as well..

One surprising aspect thus far, Is how much better we have been in Defending the run in contrast to last season. We haven't allowed a team to go over 100 yards rushing since Week 1, and are currently the 14th ranked Rush Defense giving up 3.7 yards per carry. Norwood and Dunn present some unique challenges, in the sense they both can bust a Home run play on you if your not careful and precise in your gap assignments.

Flyboy
10-21-2007, 01:36 PM
*sigh* We can still win this game, but eeek.

Auron
10-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Just got back in, couldn't catch the game because I was at work. I got updates though and from what I heard it was a really sloppy game, but I'll take it for sure. Seems like we still have a lot of consistency issues to iron out (on both Offense, and Defense), but we fought and came back to win a Divisional game that we really needed.

Flyboy
10-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I watched the game through SopCast (and it decided to cut it with 2 minutes left in the 4th, I was PISSED) but there were good things & bad things. But a win is a win and we needed it against a division opponent.

Geo
10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't know the exact stat yet, but the Saints had to have had a poor third down conversion attempt. Not good, they need to do better. Drew Brees wasn't great, he had pressure at times but other times he just didn't make great passes.

But the team made enough plays and less mistakes, say compared to the Panthers game, to win this game. That's all that matters, good job.

Also, credit to Devery Henderson for hanging onto a deep ball to make a great touchdown reception to get the Saints up early.

Flyboy
10-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Also, credit to Devery Henderson for hanging onto a deep ball to make a great touchdown reception to get the Saints up early.

Yeah, that was a great play by Henderson. Why Boley was on him, I have no clue.

Auron
10-21-2007, 11:42 PM
I think we're starting to see this team slowly make some progress. Last week they showed they could win big on the road when they got a lot of bounces to go their way which they capitalized on. This week they pulled out a tough win where they didn't play very well.. but the difference was now at least they're making enough plays to find a way to win, rather than finding ways to lose like they did in the first Four Weeks. However the Saints still have a long ways to go, and still have a lot of work to do to get back to the level of play they were at in '06.

On to the game one thing I noticed was the Officiating was just down right terrible and that goes for both teams. The Officials really screwed both teams over with questionable calls but in a sloppy game like this you have to expect it, and fight through those things.

I'll give credit to the Defense for doing a good job down in the Redzone, and for the most part limiting them to Field goals. However we have to do a better job of getting off the field, and stopping them on 3rd downs. Once again I think the Rush Defense was fairly stout, limiting the Falcons to 75 net yards rushing, but the play of the secondary and pass Defense in general remains a huge concern. Both Jason Craft, and Fred Thomas gave up a lot of big completions today.. We have to do a better job of coming up with turnovers.

Brees struggled.. I'm not really sure if he has full confidence in the Wide Receivers, O-line, and even himself right now. There were times where he missed open receivers down field, and was inaccurate. However he did have a nice throw on the Henderson TD, and he made some completions down the stretch on a game winning drive. I think he will eventually snap out of this slump, and if he gets his rhythm and timing back we should be much more efficient as an Offense.

Bush was great today, he didn't have a good game numbers wise but he made 2 very big plays in the end of the game to give us the lead for good. I really think Pierre Thomas needs to get more touches on Offense. He's scrappy, and runs hard.

In the End all that matters is that we notched another 'W' in the wins column, however there are still a lot of things we need to work on (Third down efficiency, pass coverage, 3rd down defense and forcing turnovers...) before we can climb out of this hole.

diabsoule
10-22-2007, 01:01 AM
That was a real ugly win but I'm glad we got the W. There are a ton of things we need to work on but I like how aggressive the defense looks.

Our offense still looks like it is not back in form.

Auron
10-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Early thoughts on the Saints traveling out to the Bay to face the 49ers? While we're still trying to climb out of the gutter, the Niners are a team struggling mightily recently having lost 4 in a row. They've also got some of their key guys banged up Smith, and Gore but they both are expected to play. This game worries me some what because they are starting to get backed up against a wall and should be looking to respond at Home.

I think some keys to this game in general is improving the 3rd down efficiency on Offense, have to convert and extend drives when we have the opportunities. Win the time of possession battle and get those extra plays to get the ball to some of the emerging players like Pierre Thomas, and Lance Moore. I liked what I saw from the formations, and personnel groupings versus Atlanta, I think execution can improve in some areas I think specifically the timing between Drew and WRs can be sharper. Also think that motioning Colston, and Eric Johnson around the formation and working the seams, can be very effective as it looks like that opens up some creases for completions.

Flyboy
10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Game day today... late start. I hope we can pull out the win and get closer to being .500. *crosses fingers*

Auron
10-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Good win today. Only managed to catch parts of the game.

From what I saw the Passing game really clicked for the first time all season. Brees was in a rhythm and finally established good timing with the WRs. Colston in particular came up huge in the Red Zone with 3 TDs. The Defense overall played well again, held Gore to 41 yards rushing; but I thought we really missed out on a few turnover opportunities. We really have to find a way to come up with more turnovers to just give ourselves an advantage against better teams. Reggie Bush suffered a hip pointer, and I really hope he won't be out for an extended period of time. If it's something that will keep him out for a while it will be a huge blow for our running game which was already struggling.

Jacksonville will be a huge test to see how far we've really come as a team.

Geo
10-28-2007, 11:45 PM
I thought it would take longer for the Saints to start pushing for the division title, but with Carolina and Tampa Bay both losing, the Saints are only a game back of the Panthers and half-a-game back of the Bucs right now.

You know, I really thought the Saints would win that home game against Carolina four weeks back and make a strong push from the division from there, but they started the next week going 3-0 after a disappointing 0-4 start.

Week 9's match-up against Jacksonville is tough, I sort of pegged that as a physical loss for the Saints before the season and probably still will now, but looking at the Saints' schedule thereafter, I thought it was very favorable. See my NFL Truths for that bit.

Flyboy
10-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Week 9's match-up against Jacksonville is tough, I sort of pegged that as a physical loss for the Saints before the season

So did I. I don't like our chances in it at all. Not then or now... if Bush is hurt... eek. I think MJD is banged up and with Quinn Gray at QB that could help us out but we'll see.

Auron
10-31-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't think we match up with Jacksonville very well at all, Payton is 1-5 vs. the AFC so far, and they play a tough overly Physical brand of Defense that has given us fits in the past vs. similar teams. Those mammoth DTs can easily disrupt Brees' field vision, and their front 7 is stout. (Although Stroud will likely be suspended barring an appeal)

I'd like to see us use the Home field to our advantage, we haven't played well at Home this season.. and I think now would be a great game to make the crowd a factor early. I think our best chances is forcing Gray into mistakes, Jacksonville is going to try and limit his passing attempts to protect his weaknesses but we have to force them into passing situations. Lately this Defense has played well but they haven't capitalized on turnover opportunities much and they have to start now.

I'm nervous about this game because as a team we still have to collectively pull our heads above the water level. (still 1 game behind .500)

Auron
11-04-2007, 02:00 PM
24-17 Saints over Jags at the Half.

Exciting game, but it's terrible for my blood pressure. This is the best rhythm we've had on Offense for a while but we keep finding ways to shoot ourselves in the foot, with brief lapses of concentration. One second it looks we have the upper hand only to shift complete momentum over to the Jags by giving up a big play, or turning the ball over.

I think the Defense needs to come out with intensity in the second half force a 3 and out, or a turnover and we have to find a way to wind some clock down with a clock killing drive that ends up in 7. Mare is just completely unreliable right now.

The Unseen
11-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Good game, y'all. Brees freakin owned us. Looks like he's back into his normal groove. See ya en cuatro años...

Auron
11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Good game, y'all. Brees freakin owned us. Looks like he's back into his normal groove. See ya en cuatro años...

Yes good game sir. The Jags played very pesky and kept fighting back even when we delivered blows, and even though Gray made some awful throws there were moments were he shredded our Pass Defense.

I thought Payton had a great game plan today. Spread them out, with multiple WRs and wear them out with a fast tempo of getting to the line quickly, running some no-huddle and making the Defense hustle all the way down the field..leading to them getting tired out. I have to give a ton of credit to the Offensive Line, they did a great job of handling a very physical Defensive Line that I thought would surely give them some problems, allowing Drew to have the time to deliver the ball soundly and accurately.

There are still some downsides to this game which we have to work out, primarily giving up the big plays in the Secondary was a major disappointment, I think ball security should still be a focus. The running backs did a good job, but Drew had a fumble and an almost fumble that we just barely got away with. The kicking game is extremely shaky, not sure if Mare lost confidence or what.. but I'm really uncomfortable imagining him lining up for a game winning FG; if it ever came down to it.

I think the team has done a great job of staying focused and pulling off 4 straight wins, but after all that we're still only at 4-4. We have a long road ahead.

Flyboy
11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I want to stab Jason David & Olindo Mare in the face, but I'll take the win.

Flyboy
11-04-2007, 07:48 PM
EDIT:

I'm dumb.

diabsoule
11-04-2007, 07:53 PM
What's wrong with Fincher? I didn't hear that he was injuired.

We looked great today. I love the way our defense is playing. I want Usama Young out on the field more often. Jason David would make an incredible nickelback but he is not a #2 CB. We need at least one more top corner on our team. Brian Simmons played very well and I think that he should start from now on over Scott Shanle, but WLB is something we need to address desperately. Same thing with MLB.

We have got to replace Mare soon. He will end up hurting us big time if we keep him.

But it was a good win. Next week we have the Rams. We should be able to get up to over .500 after that game.

Geo
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Superb job by the Saints offense against the Jags defense, they really look like they are back to their Top 5 offense form of last year. Olindo Mare should be gone yesterday, a kicker not getting it done isn't worth this much concern/worry. Jimmy Johnson would have sent him packing four weeks ago.

Flyboy
11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
It was a great gameplan by Sean Payton. Jax is a VERY physical football team... so spread them out and just simply pick them apart. A great, great job our offensive line giving Drew Brees to stay in the pocket untouched to deliver strikes. Colston had a huge game even though he didn't score a TD. Here's hoping we blow the Rams out next week.

Auron
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Superb job by the Saints offense against the Jags defense, they really look like they are back to their Top 5 offense form of last year. Olindo Mare should be gone yesterday, a kicker not getting it done isn't worth this much concern/worry. Jimmy Johnson would have sent him packing four weeks ago.

I agree but the problem is this late in the season who can you find as a reliable replacement? Mare is certainly a liability in the kicking game, his leg strength is an asset on kick offs but his Field Goal accuracy is just terrible. Inexcusable to miss 2 crucial (at the time) FGs inside a Dome with no adverse weather conditions.

It was a great gameplan by Sean Payton. Jax is a VERY physical football team... so spread them out and just simply pick them apart. A great, great job our offensive line giving Drew Brees to stay in the pocket untouched to deliver strikes. Colston had a huge game even though he didn't score a TD. Here's hoping we blow the Rams out next week.
Team has to stay focused, how disastrous would it be after all that work in getting to .500 to have a letdown game against a winless Rams team? I think like Bush hit the nail on the head when he said, Payton won't let them "Eat the cheese", and after that 0-4 start they are not going to take any game for granted.

Flyboy
11-04-2007, 09:26 PM
I was just thinking about that. If we lost to St. Louis... I wouldn't put it pass this team, but I hope we go in and blow the hinges off of them.

diabsoule
11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, we have to stay focused against St. Louis. This is an old NFC West match up and I'm looking forward to a good game.

There are still a few things I want the Saints to work on but I love the way the offense is clicking. I also really like the way the defense is playing. We haven't given up a 100 yard rusher since Game 1.

Flyboy
11-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Monday thoughts from Coach Payton:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/469444622df001

Flyboy
11-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Charles Grant will sit out against the Rams due to his ankle injury.

Auron
11-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Charles Grant will sit out against the Rams due to his ankle injury.
As will Brian Young (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80403fb8&template=with-video&confirm=true) for having surgery on his knee. Not good to be having Defensive line injuries the week you're facing Steven Jackson..

Flyboy
11-09-2007, 01:42 PM
As will Brian Young (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80403fb8&template=with-video&confirm=true) for having surgery on his knee. Not good to be having Defensive line injuries the week you're facing Steven Jackson..

Nov 8 Jackson (back) isn't expected to get a full workload against the Saints in Week 10, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
Recommendation: The club is going to be extra cautious with their franchise running back, especially now that they are all but out of the playoff chase. Head coach Scott Linehan was quoted as saying, "He's (Jackson) still not 100 percent. If we can get a certain amount of plays, and have him ready for Sunday, it will be beneficial for us. We're planning it that way." The bottom line is don't expect 20-plus carries and 5-10 receptions from Jackson on Sunday.

That's somewhat of a relief.

Geo
11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I read that too a day or two ago, and took it with a grain of salt. I don't fully buy it, especially if the Rams are in position to win a game. We'll see, I guess.

Auron
11-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't truly buy it either, I think Linehan will be careful not to overload Jackson too much but if they are in prime position to win with a lead you would have to bet they'll try to grind the clock out with him.

The key to Win this game is to continue taking the 1 game at a time approach to avoid a letdown. I think Payton needs to make the team prepare for the Rams as if they were an 8-0 team, regardless of how they’ve played recently. I think obviously Holt & Bruce will present a lot of match up problems vs. our secondary, and having 2 starters on the Defensive line Out (Brian Young, and Charles Grant) really hurts when facing Steven Jackson. Kendrick Clancy, Antwan Lake, Renaldo Wynn, and Josh Cooper need to step up big time.

I believe we have to jump out to an early lead..something we've done the past few games. You can't let a team like St.Louis hang around, the longer they are in the game the more confidence they will build.

Stash
11-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Whats Reggie's status? He's listed as questionable and I was just wondering if you guys expect him to get a lot of touches or not.

Auron
11-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Whats Reggie's status? He's listed as questionable and I was just wondering if you guys expect him to get a lot of touches or not.
He said he was going to play, and that it's just your average football injury that a lot of guys fight through.

I think he'll start but I expect his snaps to be carefully monitored, Pierre Thomas and Aaron Stecker should get a little more action today.

Flyboy
11-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Game Day. I'm definitely nervous... here's hoping for the win and no injuries.

diabsoule
11-11-2007, 03:39 PM
That game was terrible and Reggie Bush and Jammal Brown are out and I don't know the extent of the injury. We can't really lose any more games. I also hope the coaching staff realizes after this season that Jason David is nothing more than a nickel corner. I want to see Usama Young as the starter opposite McKenzie.

Auron
11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Just so disappointing. It looked like we were starting to get back on track as a team and we go out and play that kind of a game. I feared the letdown coming into this game, but I never expected them to regress to playing like they did when they went 0-4.

Have to lay this loss squarely on the shoulders of Sean Payton and Drew Brees. Drew had some throws where he panicked under pressure and gave the Rams momentum, and attempting only 10 running back hand offs the whole game was just a monumental mistake of making us totally 1 dimensional.

It's clear that we are not a playoff caliber team this season, and have to make some improvements over the course of the rest of this season and off-season. I understand Holt/Bruce are one of the toughest WR combos to cover in the game but Jason David was embarrassed out on the field today.. he needs to improve very fast, very soon or this experiment should be over.

Geo
11-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Maybe some credit should go to Haslett, I've never seen the Rams so active before the snap and they were bringing disguised looks that were often effective against the Saints.

Flyboy
11-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Trapgame indeed. -_-

diabsoule
11-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Just so disappointing. It looked like we were starting to get back on track as a team and we go out and play that kind of a game. I feared the letdown coming into this game, but I never expected them to regress to playing like they did when they went 0-4.

Have to lay this loss squarely on the shoulders of Sean Payton and Drew Brees. Drew had some throws where he panicked under pressure and gave the Rams momentum, and attempting only 10 running back hand offs the whole game was just a monumental mistake of making us totally 1 dimensional.

It's clear that we are not a playoff caliber team this season, and have to make some improvements over the course of the rest of this season and off-season. I understand Holt/Bruce are one of the toughest WR combos to cover in the game but Jason David was embarrassed out on the field today.. he needs to improve very fast, very soon or this experiment should be over.

That experiment is over. He's not a starter on our team unless we start with the nickel package. He's a nickel corner at the most for us. We need Usama Young to step up and take the spot next to McKenzie or else we forego getting a first round linebacker and go after a first round corner. It pisses me off that we didn't go after Chris Houston or Puz in last year's draft to at least lessen the need for either CB or LB.

Geo
11-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Not sure how much experience David has in the nickel. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played there in the pros, maybe college?

Auron
11-11-2007, 07:06 PM
That experiment is over. He's not a starter on our team unless we start with the nickel package. He's a nickel corner at the most for us. We need Usama Young to step up and take the spot next to McKenzie or else we forego getting a first round linebacker and go after a first round corner. It pisses me off that we didn't go after Chris Houston or Puz in last year's draft to at least lessen the need for either CB or LB.

At this point might as well just start Usama Young (if he's healthy) he can gain some playing experience and learn as he goes, quite frankly he can't do any worse.

diabsoule
11-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Not sure how much experience David has in the nickel. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played there in the pros, maybe college?

I'd much rather have him lined up against the slot receiver than against the #2.

TigerBait45
11-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh Saints..some things never change.

Geo
11-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I think it was just a bad match-up for the Saints. Bulger is an accurate quarterback when healthy/standing, he was going to keep the Rams offense on the field. The Rams were going to come out of the bye week ready and roaring for their first win of the season. They were getting an elite runningback in Steve Jackson back, even though the Saints were going to hold him well in the running game with their run defense, he's a big part of their passing game and success in short-yardage/goal-line/third down conversion situations.

A big key was not having Charles Grant, as right tackle is/was a weakness for the Rams.

Flyboy
11-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I think it was just a bad match-up for the Saints. Bulger is an accurate quarterback when healthy/standing, he was going to keep the Rams offense on the field. The Rams were going to come out of the bye week ready and roaring for their first win of the season. They were getting an elite runningback in Steve Jackson back, even though the Saints were going to hold him well in the running game with their run defense, he's a big part of their passing game and success in short-yardage/goal-line/third down conversion situations.

A big key was not having Charles Grant, as right tackle is/was a weakness for the Rams.

Not to mention our offensive line played like **** and could not pick up the blitz that Haslett was throwing at us. I would much rather have Jonathan Goodwin starting at C than Faine at this point.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Not to mention our offensive line played like **** and could not pick up the blitz that Haslett was throwing at us. I would much rather have Jonathan Goodwin starting at C than Faine at this point.

I think we need a new starting C. I don't know how we'll get one but we need one. Maybe Alleman can play C? Usama Young needs to start at CB. I'll preach that until he does.

I'm very frustrated right now with this coaching staff. We were on a roll winning four games in a row and then right at the time that we couldn't lose a game we drop one to the then winless Rams.

Flyboy
11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I think we need a new starting C. I don't know how we'll get one but we need one. Maybe Alleman can play C? Usama Young needs to start at CB. I'll preach that until he does.

I'm very frustrated right now with this coaching staff. We were on a roll winning four games in a row and then right at the time that we couldn't lose a game we drop one to the then winless Rams.

Until we're able to get a new center, Goodwin would be my choice. Against one of the best defensive lines in football (Jax), the guy held his own against Stroud & Henderson. The 49er game? Brees had forever to throw. Same with the Jax game. Faine comes in... looks just like the first four weeks.

I honestly saw that loss coming a mile away. I just didn't have a good feeling about that game... even if we win the next four or however many I can't get excited about this team. We're just not a playoff team at this point.

diabsoule
11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Until we're able to get a new center, Goodwin would be my choice. Against one of the best defensive lines in football (Jax), the guy held his own against Stroud & Henderson. The 49er game? Brees had forever to throw. Same with the Jax game. Faine comes in... looks just like the first four weeks.

I honestly saw that loss coming a mile away. I just did have a good feeling about that game... even if we win the next four or however many I can't get excited about this team. We're just not a playoff team at this point.

That's true about Brees having all day to throw against both Jax and SF. I just don't understand this team. We have a decent amount of talent but can't seem to get it together enough to be consistent.

Geo
11-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I missed the fact that Faine returned to the line-up this past Sunday. Maybe the injury was lingering too much, then. Still, one would think the veteran center might do a better job of line calls, but the Rams really did an amazing job I thought of disguising looks and bringing pressure. Credit to Haslett and the Rams for using 2 weeks to maximum effect, they knew their only chance of outscoring the Saints in New Orleans was trying to deliver strong pressure on Brees. I'd just tip my hat to a very motivated and rested Rams team, having two weeks to think about a 0-7 record and desperately wanting to get their first win, and move on.

I like the Saints to bounce back this week, at Houston. Not having a Top 10 corner in Dunta Robinson hurts the Texans defense badly, the rest of the secondary at best isn't anything special. I'mn sure Reggie Bush will have an added bit of motivation himself.

Flyboy
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I missed the fact that Faine returned to the line-up this past Sunday. Maybe the injury was lingering too much, then.

Faine really hasn't looked that good this season at all whether he's been healthy or not. When Goodwin has played, our offensive line looked amazing. I doubt a change occurs but it's definitely worth mentioning.

I like the Saints to bounce back this week, at Houston. Not having a Top 10 corner in Dunta Robinson hurts the Texans defense badly, the rest of the secondary isn't anything special at best. I'mn sure Reggie Bush will have an added bit of motivation himself.

I do believe Andre Johnson will be back this game, though and that worries me. At the beginning of the season, I said that Bush would get 5 TDs against HOU. It was a hyperbole for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had one of his best games as a pro this Sunday. It does suck that he's really dinged & nicked up, though.

diabsoule
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Saints have got to do something. They look terrible. We have got to get Lance Briggs and Josh Brown in FA.

We need to concentrate on defense cuz our current one sucks.

Auron
11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Dropped to 4-6 now. Mathematically we're still in it but after the way we've lost the past 2 games I just don't have any confidence in this team to do much the rest of the way.

I think the main focus this off-season has to spent almost exclusively on Defense, and finding a consistent ground game.

Geo
11-22-2007, 10:29 AM
First off, Jamaal Brown and Charles Grant fully practiced on Wednesday (http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2007/11/brown_grant_return_bush_limite.html). That's good news for the Saints.

The Saints can definitely still make the playoffs as the wild card. I still think that, they can and will imo. The New York Giants have the first wild card spot, and there are four teams currently in the running for the second and final wild card spot in the NFC: Arizona, Detroit, New Orleans, and Washington.

Arizona (5-5)
Sun 11/25 San Francisco
Sun 12/2 Cleveland
Sun 12/9 at Seattle
Sun 12/16 at New Orleans
Sun 12/23 Atlanta
Sun 12/30 St. Louis
Verdict: Arizona looks like the most viable candidate to battle New Orleans for the second and final wild card spot, they have an offense and a defense that can play. They can win every game on this schedule, but really just as likely lose four of six. Cleveland and New Orleans will be shootouts, and division games against Seattle and St. Louis will be just as embattled given the familiarity. It's Arizona, so you can't help but want to wait and see.

Detroit (6-4)
Thu 11/22 Green Bay
Sun 12/2 at Minnesota
Sun 12/9 Dallas
Sun 12/16 at San Diego
Sun 12/23 Kansas City
Sun 12/30 at Green Bay
Verdict: I don't think the Lions aren't making it, much to the disappointment of the team and the fans after finally experiencing some serious excitement and hope past September. If they can win today against the Packers, maybe that can instill a resolve to make it, but I like the visiting Packers to give the Lions their third-straight loss.

New Orleans (4-6)
Sun 11/25 at Carolina
Sun 12/2 Tampa Bay
Mon 12/10 at Atlanta
Sun 12/16 Arizona
Sun 12/23 Philadelphia
Sun 12/30 at Chicago
Verdict: Three straight division games is though, but the Saints have a good chance to win in each game remaining and that bodes well for a potential playoff run. I've felt that way since the offseason, when I pointed out their schedule post-Jacksonville/Thanksgiving (when coaches place a strong emphasis on the season). Weren't the Philadelphia Eagles 5-6 after Week 11 last year? I believe so, and they finished the year 10-6 once they got hot on offense and defense.

Washington (5-5)
Sun 11/25 at Tampa Bay
Sun 12/2 Buffalo
Thu 12/6 Chicago
Sun 12/16 at NY Giants
Sun 12/23 at Minnesota
Sun 12/30 Dallas
Verdict: That's a tough stretch, even the Minnesota game is in the Metrodome with potentially Adrian Peterson able to play. The Redskins could potentially lose all six games. So 8-8 or worse won't cut it. Shame, as I picked them before the season to make the playoffs as a wild card team, but the team lost games that they should have won and Joe Gibbs carries a good deal of the blame for that (both in terms of coaching and previous personnel decisions). But this team will be much stronger once Bill Cowher takes over next season, a serious contender in the NFC.

Let's see how it all works out.

Auron
11-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Nice analysis. I'd love to be optimistic about the Saints post-season chances.. but honestly until I see this team stop shooting themselves in the foot week after week by Turning the ball over, dropping passes, and giving up effortless big plays on Defense; I can't hope for too much.

Right now this team has major struggles productively Running the football, and Defending the pass. With Steve Smith playing.. I'm not feeling too great about our chances, he always finds a way to kill us. Unless we suddenly find a way to do just enough in the running game to take pressure off the passing game, and stop getting killed in the secondary I'm not too sure what to expect from this team...but the last 2 games have been bad...very bad.

Geo
11-25-2007, 11:38 AM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2007/08/18/16/874-PANTHERS_EAGLES_carr_cpsize.embedded.prod_affiliat e.57.jpg

woot woot

TigerBait45
11-25-2007, 01:51 PM
So far so good.

Flyboy
11-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Didn't see the game but we won. Yay. Been away for awhile.

diabsoule
11-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Thank you boys for the win, however, unlike the past couple of games the Saints this time showed up in the second half but failed to show up in the first half. We'd be dangerous if we could put together a complete game of football.

On a side note, Jason David didn't look that bad out there today.

Auron
11-25-2007, 04:39 PM
They showed some positive things today. Most important aspect was protecting the football, and finally taking full advantage of turnover opportunities. I think that was the most Turnovers we've forced Defensively in a while.

I'm not going to get too high off this victory though, Carolina was a reeling football team with many troubles of their own. HUGE game next week against the Division leading Bucs.. that will be the true test as to whether or not the Saints are serious about contending for a playoff spot this season.

diabsoule
11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
They showed some positive things today. Most important aspect was protecting the football, and finally taking full advantage of turnover opportunities. I think that was the most Turnovers we've forced Defensively in a while.

I'm not going to get too high off this victory though, Carolina was a reeling football team with many troubles of their own. HUGE game next week against the Division leading Bucs.. that will be the true test as to whether or not the Saints are serious about contending for a playoff spot this season.

Exactly. It was a good win and I'm glad for it but it was a game we should have won. Now, we gotta concentrate on Tampa Bay and get a W. I did see one thing I wanted out of the Saints and that is Pierre Thomas. We need to give him the ball more and take Aaron Stecker out of the game plan. I think PT can be the guy who gets those tough yards in between the tackles. Stecker just doesn't impress me with his running.

Auron
12-02-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm ussually in Payton's favor but that was an awful play call in that situation, I guess that's just the way this season goes but boy did we blow that one.

Flyboy
12-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Someone kill me. Please.

diabsoule
12-02-2007, 11:46 PM
That was an awful play call. After giving Reggie Bush a year to develop I have not seen any development. I am [] this close to calling him a bust.

We need so much help on our defense. I just can't say it enough.

I am also not happy with Sean Payton with that call for a double reverse. That is a call left for when we have a defense on their heels not when we are trying to run out the clock.

I am just not happy about being a Saints fan. We should just lose out to get a better draft pick.

TigerBait45
12-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Oh saints..you never change.

Dome Patrol
12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Payton wishes he could have that back.. said he wouldnt have called it (obviously). But.. on the other hand.. its a play they've practiced and players get paid to execute.. they didnt do that. Even aside from that play.. the Saints looked horrible. The D showed up on a few plays.. but not enough. The O.. was disappointing as well.

For those interested.. here's Coach Paytons press conference

http://www.zshare.net/audio/53499190dfd6b8

Flyboy
12-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh saints..you never change.

LOL, pretty much. But their our team and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

TigerBait45
12-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean.

You just learn to expect stuff like that after so long. I mean..they've been doing it for 40 years.

Whether its blowing a 28 point 4th quarter lead or losing on a game tying play, they'll find a way to do it.

And I'll never give up on them.

diabsoule
12-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean.

You just learn to expect stuff like that after so long. I mean..they've been doing it for 40 years.

Whether its blowing a 28 point 4th quarter lead or losing on a game tying play, they'll find a way to do it.

And I'll never give up on them.

I think its the same with all the fans of the Saints.

Suffering is what unites the Brotherhood of the Fleur-De-Lis.

TigerBait45
12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Its always the what if factor that pulls you back in, I think. Well what if they turn it around this year.

Then they don't and we wonder what we were thinking.

Auron
12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
The thing is.. they were supposed to have figured it out last season. The culture of losing in New Orleans was supposed to be changed by a Coach of the year, and big things were expected for the future...

and instead it seems like this team has regressed in every aspect of the game. Which is very disappointing considering the current state of the NFC, I mean outside of Dallas, and Green Bay this season no one has looked above average, and we floundered an opportunity to take advantage.

In the end all is not lost, things in the NFL change quickly...cellar dwellers frequently rise up to competitiveness and visa versa. There are some solid building blocks on this team set in place, with some wise Drafting and Personnel moves we can be right back in the thick of things by next season. Depending if Payton learns and grows as a Head Coach, and how some of our key young players develop. (Bush, Colston, Harper...etc)

diabsoule
12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
The thing is.. they were supposed to have figured it out last season. The culture of losing in New Orleans was supposed to be changed by a Coach of the year, and big things were expected for the future...

and instead it seems like this team has regressed in every aspect of the game. Which is very disappointing considering the current state of the NFC, I mean outside of Dallas, and Green Bay this season no one has looked above average, and we floundered an opportunity to take advantage.

In the end all is not lost, things in the NFL change quickly...cellar dwellers frequently rise up to competitiveness and visa versa. There are some solid building blocks on this team set in place, with some wise Drafting and Personnel moves we can be right back in the thick of things by next season. Depending if Payton learns and grows as a Head Coach, and how some of our key young players develop. (Bush, Colston, Harper...etc)

I actually have not been impressed with Harper at all. I don't like him in coverage at all and he frequently takes bad angles. I've been impressed with Josh Bullocks actually. If we had a corner who could actually play in front of him instead of placing all of the pressure solely on top of shoulders then I think he'd be a great FS. Actually, something I've considered, is what if Bullocks was placed at SS? He has the speed and tackling ability to blitz and would have our best corner playing in front of him. I think it'd work.

It is evident what changes need to be made. I'm wondering what Usama Young's role will be next year. I don't want us to invest a first round draft pick on a cornerback and stunt his growth. I think LB and DT are our biggest needs. We also need some big time help along the offensive front and I'm hesitant to say that we should move Jammal Brown back to RT and try to go after a LT.
I am not impressed with Reggie Bush at all. He needs to be used more as a WR than up the gut RB. I would have figured Payton would have figured that out.

Auron
12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Both Harper and Bullocks have had their struggles, more often than I would like. I think both are prone towards peeking into the backfield, and blowing coverages.. Neither are great tacklers, Harper is a big hitter but his technique and consistency can be improved on. They are both relatively young so my thought is with time they will improve as a Safety tandem, but they keep making the same mistakes over and over. I'd give them a shot, but if there is a prime talent and opportunity to upgrade the position say a Kenny Phillips available to us in Round 1 I don't think either should prevent us from taking him.

I'd like to see Usama get more playing time at Corner as the season winds down..have to see what kind of role he can be depended on for next season. Trying to acquire blue chip talent at LB and DT is almost mandatory this off-season, we've been getting by with below optimal talent at those positions for too long. Offensive Line could definitely use an upgrade, I'm not ready to give up on Jammal Brown at Left Tackle quite yet... his play has declined somewhat from last year but he's still shown has potential to be a good player at that position, but I agree his play must improve if we are to have success as an Offense. Perhaps if we slide low enough and somehow Jake Long is available.. it could become an option. Otherwise I'd like to acquire a new Interior Guard to replace Nesbit (who IMO has become a hinderance in the run game, he just doesn't have the athleticism to pull, and get to the outside on outside toss, sweeps, and screen plays) Would like to go after Faneca in the Off-season.

Bush isn't living up to expectations, I'm disappointed but the situation is what it is. Once Deuce went out with the injury... we really didn't have anyone to carry the heavy duty burden in the run game, and Reggie was forced into a situation he was not ready for. I think if somehow Deuce comes back partially effective, or we can find a decent compliment back for Bush that will bring some level of stability back to the Offense.

diabsoule
12-10-2007, 11:20 PM
This was a good one but it did not seem complete.

Pierre Thomas still needs to get the ball more.

Auron
12-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Beating the Falcons is never a bad thing... Brees played like a franchise QB, and Colston is a monster.

Stecker / Pierre Thomas ran the ball hard, and we managed to get some pressure on the QB for the most part. However we still played the Falcons, another team in pretty bad shape, with a deteriorated O-line...

but whatever winning feels good so I'll be happy for this week at least. :)

Geo
12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I thought Stecker ran strong for most of the night, but I didn't realize he went an impressive 20 for 100, and a few catches of course, until looking at the stat sheet. Nice job, I think the capable veteran can do a solid job as the starting back in what is a hopeful run to the playoffs by the Saints these last few weeks.

Auron
12-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Thoughts on the upcoming game vs. the Cardinals? We're at Home and favored by 3.5 I believe.. which makes me nervous... because we haven't played well at Home this season.

I think if we ride momentum and take care of business we should be able to control the flow of the game. Jumping out early, using the passing game to set up the run for Stecker/P.Thomas... blitz Warner and take away the ground game. However this could very easily turn into a repeat of the Rams game. Fitzgerald/Boldin and the rest of those receivers are more than capable of eating our Secondary up, if we don't get the necessary pressure on Warner. The Cardinals Defense can be tricky too, they've given up some big plays lately but they have some players, and Defensive looks that can generate confusion, and pressure. Offensive Line must be up to the task in this one...

diabsoule
12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Thoughts on the upcoming game vs. the Cardinals? We're at Home and favored by 3.5 I believe.. which makes me nervous... because we haven't played well at Home this season.

I think if we ride momentum and take care of business we should be able to control the flow of the game. Jumping out early, using the passing game to set up the run for Stecker/P.Thomas... blitz Warner and take away the ground game. However this could very easily turn into a repeat of the Rams game. Fitzgerald/Boldin and the rest of those receivers are more than capable of eating our Secondary up, if we don't get the necessary pressure on Warner. The Cardinals Defense can be tricky too, they've given up some big plays lately but they have some players, and Defensive looks that can generate confusion, and pressure. Offensive Line must be up to the task in this one...

I have a hard time seeing us winning out. I have the same worries about the Cards game that you do, Auron.

fenikz
12-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Just my prediction, Warner is going to put on a greatest show on turf style performance with 4 TD and 300+ yards since Quan and Fitz are both back. Henderson will beat us deep once for 40+ yards for a TD, and Colston will run over Holt for a TD at least once, the key for both teams will be the running game, which ever offense can keep the other off the field will end up winning this game

Cardinals 38 Saints 24

Had to post so I could come back and say I told you so, of course if we get our ass beat i will man up and eat my crow as well

Geo
12-15-2007, 09:58 AM
I doubt Boldin plays, he was wearing a boot through Wednesday and only did limited (whatever that was) practice for Thursday and Friday. Plus Larry Fitzgerald isn't 100 percent, but I suspect he'll still have a good day against McKenzie (assuming the Saints keep him at RCB like they did last week).

fenikz
12-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I doubt Boldin plays, he was wearing a boot through Wednesday and only did limited (whatever that was) practice for Thursday and Friday. Plus Larry Fitzgerald isn't 100 percent, but I suspect he'll still have a good day against McKenzie (assuming the Saints keep him at RCB like they did last week).

My sources say he is going to play and that what ever Whiz is telling the media is basically BS

diabsoule
12-15-2007, 01:02 PM
The Cards offense worries me, especially with Fitz and Boldin lined up against our secondary. This is going to be a tough match-up and a tough game.

Geo
12-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, both Boldin and Fitz are active for today's game. We'll see how many snaps each plays.

Flyboy
12-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh, yay. We get pressure on Warner, he'll turn over the ball and we can easily win. If not... oh vey. Not a big fan of this game at all. Ugh. And, I won't be able to see it either. Great.

TigerBait45
12-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Well..we won.

Thats cool I guess.

diabsoule
12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Gotta continue playing well. And I hate to do this but I'm pulling for the Bears on MNF cuz the Vikes gotta lose.

Flyboy
12-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Gotta continue playing well. And I hate to do this but I'm pulling for the Bears on MNF cuz the Vikes gotta lose.

I hate it too, but gotta do it. Go Bears. Ew. I feel so dirty.

fenikz
12-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Well we keep getting worse and worse every week, I think we were better with Leinart at QB we were 4-2 then

good luck in your hopes of making the playoffs

Flyboy
12-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Well we keep getting worse and worse every week, I think we were better with Leinart at QB we were 4-2 then

good luck in your hopes of making the playoffs

Thanks, bro. Good game today too.

Auron
12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Encouraging effort at Home, was nice to see them taking advantage of Home field. Other than 2 careless fumbles that really could've, and should've been avoided I thought we did a good job of protecting the football and being efficient. Drew and Marques put together another excellent performance, and Aaron Stecker and Pierre Thomas continue to run hard north/south and really maximize the yardage they can get.

I thought Defensively we were shaky at times, for the most part we didn't get a lot of pressure on Warner, but I do give them credit for coming up with a couple of huge turnovers (Harper Interception off the hit, and the Fujita sack and FF) and those were enough. I'm really liking Kaesviharn at FS, since he's been on the field he's been active and keeping things in front of him.

We still need some help to get into the playoffs, and it's very disappointing that we put ourselves in this position in the first place. Because when I look at this team we have the ability to be 9-5 if we don't botch the Home Panthers, and Bucs games with last minute mistakes... but it is what it is.

diabsoule
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Every time I watch Pierre Thomas run the ball I'm impressed. The guy is good.

I hope the coaching staff is taking notice as to how much help we need on D.

Flyboy
12-18-2007, 02:10 PM
For the Eagles game...

“Hopefully we came out of this game relatively healthy; it appears that way. Wednesday I’ll be able to update you guys more on the status of a few players, but by and large the report was positive. I’m also optimistic that we might have Reggie Bush (http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Team/Roster/People/Reggie%20Bush.aspx) back this week, just based on the rehab and he’s a little bit ahead of schedule; that’s been encouraging. We’ll see where he’s at Wednesday, but I know he’s planning on practicing and that will be a plus.

diabsoule
12-19-2007, 03:11 AM
For the Eagles game...

I'd rather keep him rested so he'd be fresh for the Bears game or the playoffs, hopefully.

Auron
12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
The must win to stay alive stretch continues at Home vs. the Eagles.. in a rematch of last seasons NFC Divisional Round game. I'm worried about this game; even though they are eliminated from the playoffs I think the Eagles will give us everything they have to try and knock us out of the playoff picture. Even though we beat them Twice last season I don't like how our Offense matches up against Jim Johnson's aggressive blitz schemes.

I believe they will continue to line guys up all over the place, and mix up their pressures by sending blitzes from multiple angles. (Something our O-line has struggled with picking up in earlier games) I think Brees especially needs to be in top form making the Pre-Snap reads, trying to determine the coverages, where the likely pressure is coming from and adjusting the protection. He has to be aware of all his hot reads, and be decisive getting the football out quickly. Offensive line must continue to be consistent, a key match-up will be Jammal Brown vs. Trent Cole... Brown has done well before against him but Cole has the explosiveness off the edge to impact plays in a hurry. The Eagles top cover corner, Lito Sheppard will probably be the Slot defender and will most likely be Shadowed on Marques Colston for most of the game..so that will be another interesting match up to watch.

In the End if we continue to come out with the do or die intensity..and we protect the football. (Absolutely can't have any more careless fumbles, must make smart decisions) then we should be able to survive with the W. but for some reason I can't trust this team... Every single time this season we've had an opportunity to make a statement, and turn the Corner we've fallen flat on our faces. Week 1 in Indy, then at Home vs. the Rams after battling back from 0-4, vs. the Bucs to try and make a last stand effort for the Division. I really hope they prove me wrong, but Westbrook can and will give us fits if we don't slow him down, and McNabb has been much more elusive the past few games he must be contained in the pocket.

Auron
12-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Playoff hopes are done, disgusted by the effort on Defense... but the way this season as gone you had to see this loss coming. It may be repeating the obvious but the Defense needs a major upgrade in talent in the off-season...

and I hope to never see Devery Henderson play another down as a Saint.

Flyboy
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
*sigh* It's just been one of those years/seasons. If Minnesota loses, we'll still have a chance but with the way we're playing I don't even wanna make the post-season. Here's to a good off-season and a good draft.

diabsoule
12-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I had this sick gut feeling that we would lose and sure enough... Our defense just played terrible. There are no other words to describe it than that. We sucked in all aspects of the D. Hopefully this year we'll be able to add some impact players in free agency and be able to draft some guys who will see the field.

On a positive note, Pierre Thomas had his coming out party today and I think he did very well. I think he still needs a couple more years of experience but he looks like he will be a stud someday, hopefully for us. Usama Young looked promising, but it also looked like he needed to see the field more.

Well, here's to next season. Cheers.

Flyboy
09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Big game. We usually win games that I think we're gonna lose and lose games where we should win, but.. this game.. eek.

Go Saints!

Geo
09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
This might be the game to get Jeremy Shockey jumpstarted, tight ends usually do well against the Broncos because of their SLBs and safeties.

saintsfan912
09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Agreed. Shockey is gonna have to come up big Sunday.

Is it just me or does Brees hang alot of guys out to dry when he hangs those swing passes in the air so damn high?

CJSchneider
09-20-2008, 08:50 PM
He does, LOL.

In other Saints news:

Saints sign Harrington (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aqc8QUNoZeQUvpkQXbnPKOtDubYF?slug=ap-saints-harrington&prov=ap&type=lgns)

NOLAFan
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Damn Saints, you fail me again. We had what is thought to be an automatic 3-points but no the damn kicker screws us over.

I will say it wasn't just the kicker, our D was horrid.

Ugh Top-15 pick here we come.

saintsfan912
09-21-2008, 06:47 PM
So does anybody else think we will be drafting a HB/CB with our first 2 picks?

And Mike McKenzie looked pretty good considering this was his first action in a year. Glad to have him back.

And why doesn't Jason David just retire? He knows he's a terrible corner and everybody in NO hates him, why stay?

NOLAFan
09-21-2008, 06:49 PM
I can see a CB. I don't think they are ready to give up on Bush just yet, and when they do give up on him i think they turn to Thomas.

Why didn't they atleast give Deuce a few carries? I don't understand that.

saintsfan912
09-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not talking about Bush, I love him. I just think he needs a compliment and that guy could be Scott, Beanie, or another one of the big bruisers.

Geo
09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Why didn't they atleast give Deuce a few carries? I don't understand that.
This is just my thought, but Deuce is past his prime imo. I don't even know why the Saints have him on the roster, my guess is they were thinking with their hearts instead of their heads. Noble, but not very helpful to the football team.

But hopefully the haters who probably didn't even watch this game like most all Saints game can keep telling us that Reggie Bush is a bust. You know, because a bust can make plays that few if any other backs can make, when he has the opportunity.

NOLAFan
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm not talking about Bush, I love him. I just think he needs a compliment and that guy could be Scott, Beanie, or another one of the big bruisers.

Oh ok. So basically a Thunder to his Lightening? Yeah i would like that but i don't think they will do that in the next draft,pending on what happens this season of course.

Yeah Deuce may be past his prime, but Thomas and Bush weren't doing anything, atleast they could do is send Deuce in and see what he could do.

I really liked Bush tonight, he was making many stupid mistakes, besides that damn fumble. If he could play like that all the time i would atleast be pleased with him.

diabsoule
09-22-2008, 01:33 AM
The problem is our offensive line. Outside of Jahri Evans and Jammal Brown our offensive line is very lackluster. I see them getting absolutely zero push in the run game, which is where we need help the most. Jon Stinchcomb is garbage and so is Jamar Nesbit.

And I'm finally starting to warm up to Reggie as he seems to be following his open field blocking more.

wicket
09-22-2008, 08:19 AM
I'd like to have a bruiser back just like the before mentioned scott, however the main worry for me is our secondary, its great to see porter developing a bit but mckenzie is becoming old and we need another safety as well. Also the olb are a bigger need in my book than a bruiser.

Saints-Tigers
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
The problem is our offensive line. Outside of Jahri Evans and Jammal Brown our offensive line is very lackluster. I see them getting absolutely zero push in the run game, which is where we need help the most. Jon Stinchcomb is garbage and so is Jamar Nesbit.

And I'm finally starting to warm up to Reggie as he seems to be following his open field blocking more.

Yup.

Funny, even Reggie's biggest critics are starting to see it. I'd love to say Reggie is the problem and just find a RB to fill the void, that would be a hell of a lot easier than building 60% of an offensive line.

Hopefully we can still make some real noise this season, but it would be nice to see Nicks get in there, but we really need another mauler. Duke Robinson anyone? I heard something like he hasn't allowed a tackle from the guy he is assigned to in each play in like 4 of the last 6 games.

I don't think it's coincidence that all the top running backs each year play behind stellar lines.

Flyboy
09-22-2008, 10:20 AM
That was a tough loss to swallow. Ugh.

CJSchneider
09-22-2008, 10:26 AM
1. If this didn't expose our need for an OLB and O-line depth in the draft, Im not sure what will.

2. After giving up 3 TD's, Im not even sure how ticked off I should be at "Gramatichoke".

Geo
09-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I have to say, I was impressed with how the Saints came back and took it until the very end. When it started off 21-3, at Denver, it didn't look good at the time. But they showed us, or at least me, something.

Flyboy
09-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Both our teams are 1-2, Geo.

*hugs*

Reggie Bush is legit. That is all.

Flyboy
09-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't even have anything to say. We've been handling the 49ers lately, but they are lookin' quite good this year. Please win. That is all. I don't think I can take another loss.

Here's to Reggie Bush scoring four touchdowns against them like he did in 2006.

wicket
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
yes indeed please dont **** another match up, we could have been 3-0 if we just were a bit sharper

CJSchneider
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm also a big 49ers fan (grew up about 2/1/2 hours North of SF) This is a real tough week for me.

wicket
09-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm also a big 49ers fan (grew up about 2/1/2 hours North of SF) This is a real tough week for me.

i sort of feel for you the 49ers are my second team but still i know how i want to win. Good luck consulting your concience ;)

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Patrick Willis was awesome at containing Reggie today, the line played a little better, but Nicks will keep improving his game, and we should get stronger.

Drew Brees is hands down the best QB in the league right now, I don't even know how it's debatable.

CJSchneider
09-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Today's game was a good one. Brees was superb, hell he has so many weapons, when one (Bush) aint working he can just go to another (Moore and Meachem). Glad to see Deuce in the mix today also.

wicket
09-28-2008, 06:41 PM
i think we deliberately kept bush out the game because it meant also keeping willis out of the game. There was no use to play complex just to get bush the ball, the 49ers were so focused on containing hi, that we neednt bother utilising him to much.

Auron
09-29-2008, 04:35 PM
It's been a while since I've been able to post, have been held up with real life obligations but I'm going to try and pop in every once in a while.

Solid win yesterday, I think this team really needed that just for the morale boost. Like it was mentioned earlier with a few breaks going our way in the previous 2 games we could very well be atleast 3-1 right now... but that's just how the NFL goes sometimes, it is what it is and we're back at .500 now with a solid chance to regain some momentum.

Was great to see Deuce back in a key role. I think we sorely missed his reliable presence in the Running game the past 2 games, his ability to continuously grind forward to gain yardage even when not much is there really helped us to open up some things in the Down field passing game. Hopefully he will stay fresh, and continue to get healthier as the season progresses because this Offense needs his contributions.

Excited at the emergence of Meachem, he is turning out to be a very dangerous deep threat with solid catching ability. (the over the shoulder catch on the flea-flicker was great) Hopefully he'll continue to mature, and grow into the Offense, and see more snaps. Once we can get Colston, and Shockey back into the mix the Offense looks to be deadly.

Defense showed some signs of life, yes they were playing a 49ers Offense, but the Defensive Line wreaked havoc upon JT O'Sullivan for much of the day, and did I mention I love having Sedrick Ellis progress in the middle of the D-line? He almost always draws 2 blockers, and still manages to get a decent push on the pocket, which opens up things for our outside Defensive Ends.. he will only get better as well.

Need to stay sharp for next week and not overlook the Vikings.

Flyboy
09-29-2008, 05:10 PM
OMG AURON! YES!

We're able to contain AD and I think we'll be fine against the Vikes. They DO scare me on paper, though. Brees should be be able to take advantage against their defense, though.

Auron
09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Yep, key to that game will be containing Peterson. He will definitely get his yardage, one of the most dangerous runners in the NFL today... but if we can limit his damage and prevent the big play runs, I think we'll be able to keep the Vikes 1 dimensional, and hopefully our improving Defense can take advantage of some of their struggles in the passing game. (particularly at QB)

On the other side of the ball the Offensive line needs to continue to step up, we can't overlook their Defensive front they are very Physical along the D-line... but if Brees gets the protection he needs there will be some match-ups we can exploit in the Secondary.

CJSchneider
09-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I smell a win coming, especially if our passing game is as good as it has been lately.

Auron
09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Key to this game IMO is limiting the damage Adrian Peterson does to us on the ground, he will grind out his yardage no doubt; hopefully we can prevent the big play runs from occurring.

Minnesota is very physical up front on the Defensive side of the ball, so the Offensive Line has to be on top of their game.. if Drew gets his protection we'll have the opportunities to expose some of the gaps in Minnesota's Cover 2 scheme.

Flyboy
09-30-2008, 01:01 PM
This game scares me. And, I won't get to see it... I'm hoping for a win, though.

wicket
09-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Its gonna be a toughie, they are about as physical as it gets, our offense should be well suited to attack them though, I'm just a bit scared about our ability to stop them at third downs, that seems to be our weakness so far in the season

TigerBait45
10-01-2008, 12:28 AM
The Vikings were pretty bad against the pass last year (not sure what they look like this year), but they definitely have two good cornerbacks and they're almost impossible to run against..

I dunno. I think if we can at least slow down Peterson a little bit we have a shot. They can't do much else offensively from what I've seen, which is a shame because I really like Bernard Berrian.

Saints-Tigers
10-01-2008, 12:33 AM
Reggie might be effective against this team, they are quite physical, but they aren't very fast overall defensively, though I seriously doubt we can hold any blocks against this team long enough to make our running backs effective.

Swing passes will be key this game to opening things up, and if the line holds up well, Brees should light up this secondary.

No running back has really exploded on us yet, and we have been doing a great job stopping the run on key downs IMO, but Peterson could have a big day if we aren't careful.

Auron
10-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Reggie might be effective against this team, they are quite physical, but they aren't very fast overall defensively, though I seriously doubt we can hold any blocks against this team long enough to make our running backs effective.

Swing passes will be key this game to opening things up, and if the line holds up well, Brees should light up this secondary.

No running back has really exploded on us yet, and we have been doing a great job stopping the run on key downs IMO, but Peterson could have a big day if we aren't careful.

This...was about to say the thing that worries me about the Vikings is their Physical Defensive Line play, they have the Linemen to push the pocket, get their hands up and Disrupt Brees' rhythm, and timing. We've struggled against these types of teams in the past (Tennesse last season, Chicago, Washington)

I think we can counter this with a strong Perimeter passing game, trying to set up 1-1 mismatches on the outside with Bush, picking up some yardage with quick screens, and swing passes... We may be able to neutralize some of the interior pressure in this manner.

As far as Peterson I agree, this will be a true test for Mr. Sedrick Ellis & Jon Vilma.

CJSchneider
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
As far as Peterson I agree, this will be a true test for Mr. Sedrick Ellis & Jon Vilma.

I couldn't agree more.

GermanSaint
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
iam scared too. its the classic trap game AND the vikings are a team what usually bring problems to us.
they have a great running game and a great defense, exactly like the titans powned us last year, like one of you guys mentioned before.

iam not sold on our OL , i know we gave up very few sacks , but i also know how quick drew brees release his passes and how good he is doing shaking up those pass rushers.
if the line is collapsing all night , we can get under the wheels pretty badly. so its hard for me to predict a tremendous victory.... it will be a hard fought game or it will be a desaster , when lets say , the vikings start with an pick six or so, i do not see us coming back from this.

we did very poor when we were clear cut favorites , the last years.

Auron
10-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Sigh.. only we could find a way to lose a game like that. Shut down Peterson all game, outgain the Vikings.. yet make fundamental mistakes that botch us the game.

Yes we had some terribly unexpected breaks go against us, but we found a way to regain momentum and blew it. Championship caliber teams find ways to close those games out once they gain the upperhand. Martin Gramatica is not the answer in the Kicking game, like Mare in the year before he's lost all confidence in making a crucial FG with the game on the line.

Heroic effort from Reggie though, without the clutch returns we're not even in this game.. in that 2nd half.

Also I must say the lack of receiving options is starting to sorely show... it was only a matter of time but even though guys like Lance Moore, and Devery were playing way above their heads they can't be counted on to be every down reliable guys... and Meachem is not as up to date with the playbook to be a major contributor yet.

Still too early to call this season shot... although wow the injuries just keep piling up (Porter now?) Our only hope is to hold out next week vs. the Raiders and hope key contributors like Colston, Shockey, Ellis rehab and get back ASAP. However this was a major setback...

Flyboy
10-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I hate life. That's all.

CJSchneider
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm still in shock.

Flyboy
10-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm still in shock.

I'm not. That's the sad part.

CJSchneider
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Winfield returning the blocked punt, albeit a crappy kick, is all luck, you can't predict, plan or do anything else to that - it happens. The Bernard Berrian TD should never have happened, Christ, both recievers were going to the post; how do you not break that up. 2 missed FG's buy Gramati-choke, not to memtion the afore mentioned crappy kick, has me so mad I could spit.

The_Dude
10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
While i agree that winfield's collection/return of the blocked kick was a matter of just being in the right place at the right time, his sack and strip of Brees was just sick. Winfield was blowing people up all night and i think that he is the main reason that the Vikings have won the 2 games that they did.

I am also in shock that the Vikings weren't able to throw that game away down the stretch... they sure seemed to try... I thought that the Saints were going to prevail until the pass interference call at the end.

And shouldn't you be talking to kids or something CJ?? ;)

diabsoule
10-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Ed Hochuli gave that game to the Vikings.

Sveen
11-12-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Kansas_City_Chiefs_Helmet.jpg

Week 11: New Orleans Saints (4-5) @ Kansas City Chiefs (1-8)

After the loss to Atlanta we are 4-5, and this weeks game against Kansas City is a must win if we want to have a chance to make the playoffs.

I'm really concerned about this game. We are on the road at Arrowhead and playing a team that seems to be improving. I didn't see the KC @ SD game last week, but following the game at NFL.com it seemed like Tyler Thigpen is playing pretty good and they didn't have a single turnover against a tough San Diego defense. This is not a gimme game (at least not anymore), and with all our injuries I'm really afraid this is a game we might lose if everyone ain't giving 100%.

Please share your thoughts about the matchup.

wicket
11-12-2008, 05:45 PM
I'd love to tell y'all a story about how confident i am about this game and that we are gonna win it and stuff but i am not that confident and against a KC team in rebuilding mode that is sort of sad. I'dd love to see an energetic performance that can trigger something but i have to see it to believe it. Good playcalling would be nice as well.

bored of education
11-12-2008, 07:58 PM
KC is playing with a 'we have nothing to lose, something to gain attitude" which could hurt a team like the Saints. You give KC a glimmer of hope and they will attack it. I think this will be a very good hard fought game. Best of luck to the Saints!

T-RICH49
11-12-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Kansas_City_Chiefs_Helmet.jpg

Week 11: New Orleans Saints (4-5) @ Kansas City Chiefs (1-8)

After the loss to Atlanta we are 4-5, and this weeks game against Kansas City is a must win if we want to have a chance to make the playoffs.

I'm really concerned about this game. We are on the road at Arrowhead and playing a team that seems to be improving. I didn't see the KC @ SD game last week, but following the game at NFL.com it seemed like Tyler Thigpen is playing pretty good and they didn't have a single turnover against a tough San Diego defense. This is not a gimme game (at least not anymore), and with all our injuries I'm really afraid this is a game we might lose if everyone ain't giving 100%.

Please share your thoughts about the matchup.

you think you have injuries.and we also thank god get LJ back

Menardo75
11-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Saints winless on the road this year. This one will be a tough one to get too.

CJSchneider
11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I actually have every confidence that we will win this game. Tyler Thigpen, while playing great has yet to convince me he is for real (sorry Tyler, the snow hasn't stuck). With Colston Back, Drew Brees has all his tools, well...short of Bush, to work with. I doubt that the post-game talk after Atlanta was a pretty one, and even if KC is playing with a "nothing to lose" attitude, I doubt NO will be taking this game off mentally.

Menardo75
11-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I actually have every confidence that we will win this game. Tyler Thigpen, while playing great has yet to convince me he is for real (sorry Tyler, the snow hasn't stuck). With Colston Back, Drew Brees has all his tools, well...short of Bush, to work with. I doubt that the post-game talk after Atlanta was a pretty one, and even if KC is playing with a "nothing to lose" attitude, I doubt NO will be taking this game off mentally.

I hope they come out with some emotion and win the game. Seems like though in every away game they come out really flat.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
11-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Tyler Thigpen is playing pretty good and they didn't have a single turnover against a tough San Diego defense.

Man... what are you talking about? San Diego's pass defense is dead last in the NFL. They've got the same number of takeaways on interceptions as our pitiful defense does. In fact, we are ranked higher in overall defense than the Chargers. Thigpen played very well, but by no means did it happen against a "tough" defense.

With that said, our secondary is garbage so Thigpen is going to have another good outing. We'll probably pass 40 times against the worst run D in the league. Arrowhead is always a tough place to play, and we stink on the road. I'm not too confident about this one...

Flyboy
11-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Yay, we won.

Um, whoo.

CJSchneider
11-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Good performances from Thomas and Moore on offense. I was pretty sure we were gonna win this one. I just can't wait for Bush to be healthy again.

Sveen
11-22-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Green_Bay_Packers_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg

Week 11: Green Bay Packers (5-5) New Orleans Saints (5-5)

We are coming of a win at Kansas City and the Packers smothered the Bears at home last week. Both teams are .500, but Green Bay is currently in a three way tie for first place in the NFC North while we are last in the NFC South. This is a very important game for both teams. Not only is it a nationally televised night game, but we need a win to keep our playoff hopes alive and the Packers want to gain ground to Chicago and Minnesota in the race for the division title.

Share your thoughts about the game.

wicket
11-24-2008, 06:15 AM
I think this game is vital, in order to get to the play offs we need to win all our remaining home games away in detroit and prolly one of the 2 of the away game in chicago or tampa bay, it can be done but we can't afford to lose this one. Geaux saints. BTW good starting post Sveen, looks nice again.

Sveen
11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_Helmet.jpg

Week 13: New Orleans Saints (6-5) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-3)

The way things are going it seems likely that a 10-6 record will be necessary to make the playoffs from the NFC South, which makes this a very important game. We are coming of an impressive showing against the Packers on Monday night, and the Buccaneers came back against the Lions after trailing early.

Our defense really pulled together last week, but that might be a a little misleading due to the fact that the Packers came out throwing in the second half to try and catch up with Drew Brees and out offense.

Speaking for myself I have a good feeling about this game. Better than I've had the last few weeks. If we can keep the winning streak going we might have a chance to sneak by two of the teams in front of us and get ourselves into the playoffs.

Flyboy
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Huge, HUGE game.

I think Bush will be back as well so we'll see.

Sveen
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Great to see Deuce get the rushing TD record. This game had a lot of highlights. Pierre Thomas' 31 yard TD run, Sedrick Ellis getting another sack, a bunch of interceptions and last but not least the two 70 yard TD passes by Drew Brees.

TigerBait45
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
If we win here we're right back in the hunt for sure..

This is the perfect time for the Saints to get hot..3 divisional games down the stretch (if we sweep Tampa that is gigantic) and a softie game against Detroit.

10-6 is very doable, I think, and if the loss is outside of the division then thats even better.

wicket
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
It seems like i'm saying this every week but this is a must win. If we win we have a pretty managable path to the playoffs, not easy but managable, with two home games where we looked strong all season and an away game with the lions needing to be won, which leaves us with a game in chicago that is tough. That being said this game is just vital, not only cause its a tough one and we need the but also the win is quite essential in all kinds of tiebreaker procedures, I have a feeling that one of the NFC's 10-6 teams is gonna drop out so lets make sure where not that team.

CJSchneider
11-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Watched this one in CA. Glad we won because i was watching with a bunch of childhood friends and they all know I am now a Saints fan.

CJSchneider
11-28-2008, 09:27 PM
This is the perfect time for the Saints to get hot..3 divisional games down the stretch

Damn straight, this could be the turn around point,

CJSchneider
11-30-2008, 03:08 PM
This is all I can say right now.

http://www.firstwivesworld.com/files/images/cache/full/files/images/man%20crying.jpg

saintsfan912
11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
How many fricking penalties did we have today?

Bruce Banner
11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
If you had a different coach....you would have won....that is all.

saintsfan912
11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Not sure about all that. I am sure that I am tired of his ******* playcalling though.

wicket
11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
so close, I actually thought the team put a decent effort out there today, the playcalling really is another story though

Chucky
11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Payton really has got to go for you guys. That reverse on fourth down, when the conditions were still good was an absolutely brutal call

Sveen
11-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't get to see the game (they aired NYG @ WAS in Norway), but this was really a tough loss. Now we have to win out to have a chance to reach the playoffs :(

TigerBait45
11-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I don't even know what to say.

diabsoule
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
I'll copy and paste some of the stuff I said in the Week 13 Discussion Thread.

"I agree with Banner on this. We have talent on the team. Sure, we need help at some positions but we haven't been able to do anything with Payton aside from his first year when he confused everyone with smoke and mirrors.

As far as the needs you listed, Stinchcomb is playing a lot better at RT than he did last year (and I was a very harsh critic of his).
At RB we have Pierre Thomas who should be the featured back and Bush and Deuce the complimentary backs. He's shown he's more than capable of handling the load, of catching out of the backfield, and of being able to run between the tackles.
Yes, we do need another DT but for the most part it's our rotation. We could use another DT to play alongside Ellis, but our rotation needs work.
WLB desperately needs an upgrade because Scott Shanle is garbage.
SLB is set, Fujita is the man.
And the secondary needs an overhaul. Roman Harper is a great extra linebacker and I'd like to see some defensive plays drawn up just for him since I can see him being an "X" factor on D. FS we desperately need help at. Something like the 46 that Rob Ryan drew up in Chicago yet different.

The problem with the Saints is defensive scheme, offensive play calling, and the mindset of the coaches. We need a new coaching staff, or if we decide to keep Payton as the HC, then we need an OC that calls the plays and not Payton."

I'm becoming less of a fan of Payton's as the season goes on. I wasn't a fan of hiring to begin with but have been giving him a shot and right now I'm not happy with his play-calling or insistence on feeding Reggie the ball.

Bruce Banner
12-01-2008, 01:00 AM
or insistence on feeding Reggie the ball.

Huge problem. Let him be an explosive compliment.

Not the focal point.

There are ways to get him the ball eight to ten times per game other than swing passes and trick ****.

PR/KR/screen/some carries/SLOT!

The gimmicky garbage would get to me. It's almost predictable.

His presence on the field is enough to change the defense drastically, why not let him do that and create opportunities for others?

diabsoule
12-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Huge problem. Let him be an explosive compliment.

Not the focal point.

There are ways to get him the ball eight to ten times per game other than swing passes and trick ****.

PR/KR/screen/some carries/SLOT!

The gimmicky garbage would get to me. It's almost predictable.

His presence on the field is enough to change the defense drastically, why not let him do that and create opportunities for others?

Exactly my point. If they use him like Philadelphia uses Brian Westbrook then he'd be outstanding.

Sveen
12-03-2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Atlanta_Falcons_Black_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg

Week 14: Atlanta Falcons (8-4) @ New Orleans Saints (6-6)

The playoffs starts now. With a 6-6 record and last place in the division, this is the game. If we lose this, our season is basically over. We can, maybe, overcome a loss outside the division and still make the playoffs, all though it's highly unlikely.

CJSchneider
12-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I hope we don't lose by two touchdowns at home like we did when we played in Atlanta. We won't be without Bush this game, but counter that with not having Will Smith and - well it could very well spell the end of our play-off hopes. We'll be on the short end of the pass rush stick as it is. I'm hoping we find a way to put some pressure on Ryan.

Sveen
12-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I just found out that the network airing NFL games in Norway has decided to air the Saints game out of all the early games this Sunday :D

wicket
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
i feel happy about the result. The defense going hot and cold all the time was a bit tiring but we grinded out a result that we needed.

CJSchneider
12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Thank God we won that game.

Sveen
12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Chicago_Bears_Helmet.jpg

Week 15: New Orleans Saints (7-6) @ Chicago Bears (7-6)

Another week, another must-win. To have a chance to reach the playoffs we have to win out. Simple as that.

Remaining schedule: Chicago, Detroit and Carolina.

wicket
12-10-2008, 03:03 PM
well the first thing i want to share is how pleasantly suprised i am that we finally seem to have our kicking situation in order, both hartley and pakulak seem to be playing really well. the second thing is we have to win, gotta win, its as simple as that. We've gotta win out and then hope for the best. Looking just at the east and our own division rivals:
Out of Reach NYG
As good as out of reach Car (gonna win from denver this week which will make them out of reach)
Tampa has @ATL and then host San Diego and Oakland. but even when they lose 2 their conference record would still be better than ours so go tampa vs Atlanta.
Dallas hosts the giants and baltimore before they end their season in Philly. As long as their only loss isnt to baltimore the Strength of victory comes to play.
Atlanta: If they are so kind as to lose to Tampa we are past them if we win out due to the conference record. Otherwise we should hope for Minnesota cause I cant see them losing at home to the rams.
Philly:cle @was dal, they need to drop a game but please let it be agains cleveland. If they lose only that one they I'll root for them next year and treat them extra nice in my mocks.
Redskins: At Cincy Phi @ SF, cant see them losing to the bengals but the way they are playing they can easily drop another one in the other two (pref. SF)
Chicago: well we play them so when we win out we'll be rid of them.

Our conference record is killing us but after this week we should know a lot more. For us to have a good shot at making it this week the following things need to happen in my mind:
- We need to win.
- The Giants have to beat the cowboys
- Tampa needs to beat Atlanta.
- And I'd like for Cleveland to pull an upset.

diabsoule
12-10-2008, 04:01 PM
http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/12/new_orleans_saints_dec_10_prac.html

Jammal Brown will be out for the game.

wicket
12-12-2008, 06:37 AM
/season :(
No seriously we should just play Vilma little enough to keep our draft pick. I dont wanna come across bitter or anything but we should just play potential future starters along the way now. Give Strief playing time, Carl Nicks could be tested as a RT perhaps and maybe even try and give either dunbar or mitchell a shot at playing wlb.

CJSchneider
12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't say I disagree, to get beat by the kicker- not a good thing.

Sveen
12-16-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/New_Orleans_Saints_Helmet.jpg http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nfl/Detroit_Lions_Helmet.jpg

Week 16: New Orleans Saints (7-7) @ Detroit Lions (0-14)

Our season ended last Thursday night in Chicago, but there are still two meaningless games to play (not taking draft position into consideration). The Lions are still without a W, but played pretty well against a good Colts team. Hopefully we won't be the team that loses to them.