PDA

View Full Version : go after leftwich...?

iKNOW
09-02-2007, 10:51 PM
am i the only one that thinks they should go after leftwich? i think after kitna the lions are thin...not a fan of any of the guys behind him. actaully not a fan of kitna as he is a choke in the red zone.

leftwich is a gamer and likes to throw the ball around. he has starter experience and could help post monster numbers.

WMD
09-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I said that on Friday after he was released. The Lions should definitely go after him. O'Sullivan and Orlovsky played like crap in the Preseason. Kitna is pretty much garbage too, but he's the best garbage we have so he starts.

Nerv
09-03-2007, 03:37 AM
I think Mike Martz is probably campaigning for Byron as we type, hes never had a QB with that type of arm and natural ability to work with.

WMD
09-03-2007, 03:58 AM
I think Leftwich would be a great signing.

Addict
09-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I think Leftwich would be a great signing.

depending on his pricetag, I agree.

TacticaLion
09-03-2007, 08:11 AM
It would be nice. He doesn't have mobility, but he's probably faster than Kitna. And... that arm.

I wonder what it would do to the whole Stanton thing...

Addict
09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
It would be nice. He doesn't have mobility, but he's probably faster than Kitna. And... that arm.

I wonder what it would do to the whole Stanton thing...

Barring a miracle Stanton will still be on IR, so he won't be learning much.

Mythos
09-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I like Leftwich, but I don't see it happening. Not to mention the 63 sacks last year w/ Leftwich's history don't seem a good mix.

TheMadLionsFan
09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Martz's offense requires accuracy.....Byron has only thrown for over 60% completion percentage one time in his career....not to mention this offensive line is average at best....and if you think Joey was slow footed....wait until you see leftwhich.....no thank you....i'm not interested.....move foward not sideways...

Addict
09-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Martz's offense requires accuracy.....Byron has only thrown for over 60% completion percentage one time in his career....not to mention this offensive line is average at best....and if you think Joey was slow footed....wait until you see leftwhich.....no thank you....i'm not interested.....move foward not sideways...

Jacksonville doesn't really have a great receiving corps.

Dolphins released Schlesinger... should we take him back?

TheMadLionsFan
09-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Jacksonville doesn't really have a great receiving corps.

Dolphins released Schlesinger... should we take him back?

whats the point in resigning Schlesinger.....it isn't as if Martz is going to run the ball this season.....as far as Leftwhich goes....he has a cannon for an arm.....but he is injury prone....

Addict
09-03-2007, 11:06 AM
whats the point in resigning Schlesinger.....it isn't as if Martz is going to run the ball this season.....as far as Leftwhich goes....he has a cannon for an arm.....but he is injury prone....

he had one injury...

Nerv
09-03-2007, 11:17 AM

He would be a backup, 55-60% completion as a starter trumps anything that JT O'Sullivan has or ever will do. Leftwich is still more athletic than Kitna and has never thrown as many picks as Kitna did last year.

And once again, how many people were on the Marc Bulger & Kurt Warner bandwagons before Mike Martz worked on them? Leftwich is still young and has room to grow, sign him for this year and let the mad genius form an opinion on him.

Still, I doubt the Lions are even making an attempt or that Leftwich would even listen to them.

Prowler
09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
leftwich is a tree that throws footballs. he'd get sacked 50 times this year. love his arm and guts but he's not the right fit, it'd take him a year to learn proper mechanics since his are horrible, and then another for the system....that's what stanton is for.

swagger
09-03-2007, 10:26 PM
If you look at the quarterback situations around the league, the Lions really are the perfect landing spot for Leftwich. For both sides.

I don't really see the negatives of signing him. His contract is going to be peanuts. He is a potential franchise quarterback, and if he really was a victim of Jacksonville mismanagement... then the Lions lucked out.

Honestly, Detroit should be looking at him as a God-send. Jon Kitna with JT O'Sullivan as backup? Jesus Christ, Lions fans should be up in arms.

WMD
09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Our backups are garbage. Sometimes in order to win, you just have to get lucky... We have to take advantage of this..

Scotty D
09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I just know this will never happen. If he was cut before training camp I could possibly see us interested.

iKNOW
09-04-2007, 12:08 AM
i still think he's a good gamble. he may not pan out but is an upgrade over those others. i dont think he'll be commanding anything big as far as salary. other teams talking to him are also looking to shore up shaky QB situations. ravens, KC, raiders etc not replacing any starters.

martz system doesnt require a mobile QB, just a pocket passer which leftwich is. and he's done the shotgun offense back in the days at marshall where he was most successful - throwing about 65%.

wishful thinking on our part because i have not read anything about the lions contacting him. oh well...until next year. i think QB is the weakest link. this team has talent at every position except QB.

Xiomera
09-04-2007, 07:41 AM
No, this won't happen. The Lions are too stubbornly proud of the guys they have now. Their attitude is that the current team is capable of anything as it stands.

And they would be wrong . . . lol

Addict
09-04-2007, 08:29 AM
No, this won't happen. The Lions are too stubbornly proud of the guys they have now. Their attitude is that the current team is capable of anything as it stands.

And they would be wrong . . . lol

all the way to the Superbowl baby... or maybe... a 6-10?

swagger
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
oh well...until next year. i think QB is the weakest link. this team has talent at every position except QB.

Your secondary is pretty awful.

Addict
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Your secondary is pretty awful.

LOL Kenoy Kennedy is not awful. He's worse. He's like U2

JPLUFF
09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
LOL Kenoy Kennedy is not awful. He's worse. He's like U2

Yeah and the cornerbacks aren't that great either.

Addict
09-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah and the cornerbacks aren't that great either.

I'd personally prefer A. Bag'o'Manure (8th round draft pick out of Crapismo St.) over Kennedy.

Iamcanadian
09-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Leftwich carries way too high of a price tag for most teams. He was due to make 5+ million with Jacksonville and would probably require cutting at least one starter in order to fit his salary into our team, not a likely occurrence. He'll sign with a team that is paying their QB peanuts like say Atlanta. It is extremely difficult for NFL teams to restructure their salary cap situation this late in the roster process and Leftwich may have to wait awhile as some teams contemplate how to work him in. Detroit isn't in the picture.

Addict
09-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Leftwich carries way too high of a price tag for most teams. He was due to make 5+ million with Jacksonville and would probably require cutting at least one starter in order to fit his salary into our team, not a likely occurrence. He'll sign with a team that is paying their QB peanuts like say Atlanta. It is extremely difficult for NFL teams to restructure their salary cap situation this late in the roster process and Leftwich may have to wait awhile as some teams contemplate how to work him in. Detroit isn't in the picture.

sucks for leftwitch, seems like the Jags went out of their way to screw him over.

swagger
09-04-2007, 03:47 PM

Detroit would be idiotic not to put themselves in the picture.

And how do the Lions not qualify as a team paying their quarterbacks peanuts? Is Jon Kitna making a ton of money that I am not aware of? Does JT O'Sullivan have a lucrative backup quarterback deal that I am not aware of? I am not aware of Detroit's salary cap situation, but I am quite confident that they could sign Leftwich right now.

Addict
09-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Detroit would be idiotic not to put themselves in the picture.

And how do the Lions not qualify as a team paying their quarterbacks peanuts? Is Jon Kitna making a ton of money that I am not aware of? Does JT O'Sullivan have a lucrative backup quarterback deal that I am not aware of? I am not aware of Detroit's salary cap situation, but I am quite confident that they could sign Leftwich right now.

question is what good would it do us? Kitna starts for now and hopefully after that Stanton, Leftwitch would just be... useless.

Nerv
09-04-2007, 04:31 PM

That is why no one is going to sign him until after Thursday, if the season starts while he is still a FA that contract doesnt mean anything to the team who signs him, he will get payed whatever he accepts from his new team plus whatever Jax owes him from that contract.

swagger
09-05-2007, 03:43 PM
question is what good would it do us? Kitna starts for now and hopefully after that Stanton, Leftwitch would just be... useless.

Useless? I guess, then, you Lions fans are perfectly content with Jon Kitna starting and JT O'Sullivan backing him up. Yes, useless. And I guess you are all so sure that Drew Stanton, erratic, inconsistent Drew Stanton, is a "sure thing" franchise quarterback.

Yep, Leftwich is certainly useless. The Lions got it figured all out.

Iamcanadian
09-06-2007, 04:56 AM
That is why no one is going to sign him until after Thursday, if the season starts while he is still a FA that contract doesnt mean anything to the team who signs him, he will get payed whatever he accepts from his new team plus whatever Jax owes him from that contract.

He still isn't going to come cheaply.

Scotty D
09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
After thinking about it more he just doesn't make sense. I'd rather have Kitna as a bridge to Stanton. The fact we have a bridge to Stanton makes me sad.

WMD
09-06-2007, 10:21 PM
The fact we have Stanton makes me sad.

P-L
09-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Useless? I guess, then, you Lions fans are perfectly content with Jon Kitna starting and JT O'Sullivan backing him up. Yes, useless. And I guess you are all so sure that Drew Stanton, erratic, inconsistent Drew Stanton, is a "sure thing" franchise quarterback.

Yep, Leftwich is certainly useless. The Lions got it figured all out.

No, but I want to be first in line for a QB who is a statue in the pocket, has a career completion percentage of 58%, has completed more than 60% of his passes once in four years (60.5% in 2004), and has never played an entire season due mainly to injury problems dating back to college. Oh, did I mention he was cut by a team who is weak at QB who would rather have a QB who also has a 58% career completion percentage and went 2-4 in his last six games last games, starting over him? Byron Leftwich sure sounds like someone I want playing QB for my team.

Secondly, if Jon Kitna cuts down on his turnovers this year, then yes I am content with him as our starting QB. I expect Kitna to throw more TD than INT this year, and to fumble less. Kitna admitted that last year he threw too many INT because on multiple occasions he tried to force the ball and make something happen when it wasn't there. While it will still be a weak spot, I expect the OL to protect Kitna slightly better this year than they did last year. Last year Kitna was sacked more than any other QB by a large margin. Kitna had a better sack:fumble ratio than many QB in the league. Kitna's 9 fumbles seem like a lot, but consider he fumbled the ball once every 7 times sacked. That Tom Brady guy, fumbled once every 6.5 times sacked. Carson Palmer? Once every 5.1 times sacked. Kitna actually held onto the ball fairly well considering how many times he was planted on his back.

Am I content with JT O'Sullivan as the backup QB? The answer is yes and no. If Kitna were to go down, I'd be very worried. O'Sullivan is nothing special at all, and we be in trouble. However, I can live with him as the backup because I am confident Kitna will not get hurt. He's a tough guy who doesn't get hurt and when he does, he can play through pain. I'd rather keep a garbage backup and hope Kitna doesn't get hurt, than overpay for an insurance policy. It isn't uncommon for teams who have "ironmen" at QB to keep crappy backups.

Lastly, I am much more confident in Drew Stanton being our future than Byron Leftwich being our future. Some people just cannot accept when a player isn't going to improve anymore than they already have. Were you one of those people who said "Mike Vick will become a very good passer" year after year? How about David Carr? You think that the only reason he failed in Houston was because of a poor OL and that he'll revive his career in Carolina? Leftwich is just like those two. He has shown all he's going to show and it is absurd to think after four years of very inconsistent, below average play, he's going to turn into a franchise QB within the next year or so. Leftwich will be a career backup and won't be anything more than maybe a stop gap starter.

Iamcanadian
09-07-2007, 09:13 AM
No, but I want to be first in line for a QB who is a statue in the pocket, has a career completion percentage of 58%, has completed more than 60% of his passes once in four years (60.5% in 2004), and has never played an entire season due mainly to injury problems dating back to college. Oh, did I mention he was cut by a team who is weak at QB who would rather have a QB who also has a 58% career completion percentage and went 2-4 in his last six games last games, starting over him? Byron Leftwich sure sounds like someone I want playing QB for my team.

Secondly, if Jon Kitna cuts down on his turnovers this year, then yes I am content with him as our starting QB. I expect Kitna to throw more TD than INT this year, and to fumble less. Kitna admitted that last year he threw too many INT because on multiple occasions he tried to force the ball and make something happen when it wasn't there. While it will still be a weak spot, I expect the OL to protect Kitna slightly better this year than they did last year. Last year Kitna was sacked more than any other QB by a large margin. Kitna had a better sack:fumble ratio than many QB in the league. Kitna's 9 fumbles seem like a lot, but consider he fumbled the ball once every 7 times sacked. That Tom Brady guy, fumbled once every 6.5 times sacked. Carson Palmer? Once every 5.1 times sacked. Kitna actually held onto the ball fairly well considering how many times he was planted on his back.

Am I content with JT O'Sullivan as the backup QB? The answer is yes and no. If Kitna were to go down, I'd be very worried. O'Sullivan is nothing special at all, and we be in trouble. However, I can live with him as the backup because I am confident Kitna will not get hurt. He's a tough guy who doesn't get hurt and when he does, he can play through pain. I'd rather keep a garbage backup and hope Kitna doesn't get hurt, than overpay for an insurance policy. It isn't uncommon for teams who have "ironmen" at QB to keep crappy backups.

Lastly, I am much more confident in Drew Stanton being our future than Byron Leftwich being our future. Some people just cannot accept when a player isn't going to improve anymore than they already have. Were you one of those people who said "Mike Vick will become a very good passer" year after year? How about David Carr? You think that the only reason he failed in Houston was because of a poor OL and that he'll revive his career in Carolina? Leftwich is just like those two. He has shown all he's going to show and it is absurd to think after four years of very inconsistent, below average play, he's going to turn into a franchise QB within the next year or so. Leftwich will be a career backup and won't be anything more than maybe a stop gap starter.

I agree completely with that last statement but I'm really worried about Kitna's ability to cut down his interceptions. He simply lacks the arm strength to complete passes when severely pressured and his pass in those situations will always be up for grabs.

Addict
09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree completely with that last statement but I'm really worried about Kitna's ability to cut down his interceptions. He simply lacks the arm strength to complete passes when severely pressured and his pass in those situations will always be up for grabs.

on the other hand with CJ in the mix next to RWilliams and Furrey he has so many targets he can pick any of three (four if you count MacDonald) so maybe that will help his comp% and his interceptions.

TacticaLion
09-08-2007, 12:22 AM
on the other hand with CJ in the mix next to RWilliams and Furrey he has so many targets he can pick any of three (four if you count MacDonald) so maybe that will help his comp% and his interceptions.

And an improved OLine...

Iamcanadian
09-09-2007, 09:02 AM

There is no doubt he has the targets but he doesn't have the arm to be effective when pressured or to thread the needle. Those situations are always going to be dangerous for Kitna and the Lions. The OL may be improved but Backus is still the LT and certainly no all pro.

asmitty45
09-10-2007, 10:17 AM
i think leftwich's release is way too long, he takes a lot of time in the pocket, so i dont know that he'd be a tremendous upgrade. that said id still sign him up for a year on the cheap.