PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Division Winners

SuperMcGee
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Very simple concept - just post who you think will win each of the 8 divisions. I'm yet to see anyone correctly predict all 8, so if anyone can do it then they'll win a custom title.

I'll keep track of everyone's picks and provide any updates if requested during the season. But there's not much time before the season starts so get your picks in as soon as possible and get ready for some football!

ks_perfection
09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
New Orleans
Chicago
Dallas
Seattle

New England
Baltimore
Indy
SD

YAYareaRB
09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
AFC North - Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South - Indianapolis Colts
AFC East - New England Patriots
AFC West - San Diego Chargers

NFC North - Green Bay Packers
NFC South - New Orleans Saints
NFC East - Philadelphia Eagles
NFC West - San Francisco

If anyone has any questions.. Just ask. I have carefully planned out these picks so I am prepared for some argument.

volman88
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
AFC North: Baltimore
AFC East: New England
AFC West: Denver
AFC South: Indianapolis
NFC North: Chicago
NFC East: Dallas
NFC South: New Orleans
NFC West: St. Louis

Flyboy
09-03-2007, 06:53 PM

NFC North - Chicago Bears
NFC West - St. Louis Rams

TimD
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
AFC North - Baltimore Ravens

NFC West - Seattle Seahawks

KCJ58
09-03-2007, 07:00 PM

NFC East - Dallas Cowboys

P-L
09-03-2007, 07:05 PM
AFC North - Cincinnati Bengals
AFC West - Denver Broncos

NFC South - Carolina Panthers

skinzzfan25
09-03-2007, 07:08 PM

neko4
09-03-2007, 07:08 PM
AFC West - San Diego, with Denver in a close 2nd

NFC North - Green Bay, Ill just be a homer
NFC East - Washington Redskins
NFC West - St.Louis Rams

Jensen
09-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Tubby
09-03-2007, 07:14 PM
AFC:
North: Pittsburgh
South: Indy
East: New England
West: San Diego

NFC:
North: Chicago
South: New Orleans
East: Dallas
West: Seattle

Mr. Stiller
09-03-2007, 07:22 PM
AFCN: Pittsburgh Steelers
AFCE: New England Patriots
AFCW: Denver Broncos
AFCS: Indianapolis Colts

NFCN: Chicago Bears
NFCW: St. Louis Rams
NFCE: Philadelphia Eagles
NFCS: Carolina Panthers

Basileus777
09-03-2007, 07:23 PM

NFC West - Arizona Cardinals

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2007, 07:34 PM

NFC South - New Orleans
NFC West - Arizona Cardinals

Yung Flippa
09-03-2007, 07:47 PM

NFC North - Green Bay Packers (Just to be different)
NFC West - San Francisco

yodabear
09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Bengals
Colts
Patriots
Chargers

Bears
Saints
Eagles
Rams

Dunta_23
09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
AFC North- Baltimore Ravens
AFC East- New England Patriots
AFC South- Indianapolis Colts (Texans 2nd)
AFC West- San Diego Chargers

NFC North- Chicago Bears
NFC East- Dallas Cowboys
NFC South- New Orleans Saints
NFC West- San Francisco 49ers

scottyboy
09-03-2007, 07:53 PM
AFC North: Baltimore Ravens
AFC East: Patriots
AFC South: Indy Colts
AFC West: Chargers

NFC North: Bears
NFC East: Giants
NFC South: Tampa Bay Bucs
NFC West: The Brian Leonards

KCJ58
09-03-2007, 08:00 PM
AFC North: Baltimore Ravens

NFC West: St. Louis Rams (Superbowl Winners)

fixed it for you

Yung Flippa
09-03-2007, 08:07 PM
fixed it for you

No, NOW I fixed it for you.

AFC North: Baltimore Ravens (SUPERBOWL WINNERS)

NFC West: St. Louis Rams

The Dynasty
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM

NFC West - Arizona Cardinals(Easist scheldue in the NFL and i trust matt.)

Shiver
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
AFC South - Jacksonville Jaguars

NFC East - Washington Redskins
NFC West - San Francisco 49ers

Auron
09-03-2007, 08:10 PM
AFC
East: New England
North: Baltimore
South: Indianapolis
West: San Diego

NFC
East: Dallas
North: Chicago
South: New Orleans
West: St. Louis

duckseason
09-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Patriots
Bengals
Jaguars
Chargers

Cowboys
Vikings
Saints
Seahawks

Shiver
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Patriots
Bengals
Jaguars
Chargers

Cowboys
Vikings
Saints
Seahawks

Yes! I am not the only one.

duckseason
09-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Yes! I am not the only one.

haha yeah. I figure the only way to get something like this right is to pick at least one or two big surprises. This one just comes down to defense for me. I wouldn't be surprised and actually expect to see Indy struggle even more with the run than they did last year. The ridding of Leftwich also played a factor for me. I've got a few other reasons for picking the Jags, but it really just comes down to the Colts lack of defense and the fact that you have to pick a few surprises. As much as I like the Texans chances over the next few years, I think that was stretching it a bit too far and I just feel the Jags are a more talented team overall. Nice pick.

yodabear
09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
haha yeah. I figure the only way to get something like this right is to pick at least one or two big surprises. This one just comes down to defense for me. I wouldn't be surprised and actually expect to see Indy struggle even more with the run than they did last year. The ridding of Leftwich also played a factor for me. I've got a few other reasons for picking the Jags, but it really just comes down to the Colts lack of defense and the fact that you have to pick a few surprises. As much as I like the Texans chances over the next few years, I think that was stretching it a bit too far and I just feel the Jags are a more talented team overall. Nice pick.

I think u are alone in thinking the Vikings are going to win the NFC North, jesus, thats a ballsy pick, + rep fo that. But the Lions have a better chance.

HoopsDemon12
09-03-2007, 08:30 PM
AFC South - Jacksonville Jaguars

duckseason
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I think u are alone in thinking the Vikings are going to win the NFC North, jesus, thats a ballsy pick, + rep fo that. But the Lions have a better chance.

Yeah, I don't even think Vikings fans are making that pick. Probably should have played the odds on this one and took the Bears.

Shiver
09-03-2007, 08:36 PM
The NFC North could really be anyone. They all seem to have weaknesses. I think it all comes down to QB play: Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson, Brett Favre, Jon Kitna, whichever one of them can suck the least will probably win.

HoopsDemon12
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
The NFC North could really be anyone. They all seem to have weaknesses. I think it all comes down to QB play: Rex Grossman, Tavaris Jackson, Brett Favre, Jon Kitna, whichever one of them can suck the least will probably win.

okay that is an awesome post right there.... if i didnt have a couple things in my sig already it would be going in there

Eaglez.Fan
09-03-2007, 08:45 PM
AFC North - Bengals
AFC South - Colts
AFC East - Pats
AFC West - Chargers

NFC North - Lions
NFC South - Saints
NFC East - Eagles
NFC West - 49ers

I would have the Jags in 1st but now with Leftwich out, they won't win 7 games.

Bills2083
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
AFC North: Ravens
AFC South: Colts

NFC East: Cowboys
NFC South: Saints
NFC West: Rams

Iamcanadian
09-03-2007, 10:33 PM
error in posting

BrownsTown
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
AFC East: Pats, duh
AFC North: A team that isn't the Browns

NFC East: Eagles
NFC North: Lions
NFC West: Cardinals

KCJ58
09-03-2007, 10:52 PM
AFC East: Pats, duh
AFC North: A team that isn't the Browns

NFC East: Eagles
NFC North: Lions
NFC West: Cardinals

r u you serious?

BuckNaked
09-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I don't even think Vikings fans are making that pick. Probably should have played the odds on this one and took the Bears.

LOL, yeah i wouldn't even dare pick them winning the division in my pool.

awfullyquiet
09-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I would have the Jags in 1st but now with Leftwich out, they won't win 7 games.

Garrard can't do it?
He's proven he can. Leftwich just became the odd man out since JDR hated on him so much. Ah marshall.

Jax will win more games against indy.
Probably lose to indy both times too, but overall will win the division.

Originally Posted by Shiver View Post

no. no no no no no.
it won't. and that's just ridiculous. if rex has 8 good games and 8 bad games. which he did last year during the regular season. (or 7 where he was good, 2 where he was alright. and seven where he was really not good.) if he plays like he did last year. the bears will still probably have the best team in the NFCN. if they can beat teams even with an inconsistant quarterback... the saints. the seahawks and the other NFC powerhouses (yes. i giggled there for a second thinking Dallas isn't an NFC powerhouse! welcome to the thunderdome bitches)... there's no reason why they can't overcome a QB who's thrown less balls than Grossman (Jackson and the Vikes), a mediocre team without a real running threat (GB and someone not ahman green), and team lead essentially by their OC, a resurgent QB, a freak, a furrey, and another guy named williams... because that's the only chance they have at winning, because their defense was a bunch of kids they found at a detroit pee-wee league, in Hamilton, ON, who were playing offense (oh yeah. Rod Marinelli... i mean Mike Martz's Detroit Lions)...

the bears have decent WR's, a more proven RB than GB and Detroit, a better O-Line than all three (maybe not individually speaking, because hutch is really good... but as a consistant whole, which all O-Lines have to be, the bears have them all beat), a more consistant defense with top notch playmakers (mike brown, vasher, urlacher, tommie harris and wale ogunleye...)

i think anyone who bets against the bears would only do so if they have knowledge no one else does.
it's the logical choice.
like the pats winning the AFCE...

BuckNaked
09-03-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm gonna take all the safe picks here because i'm a *****.

Patriots
Ravens
Colts
Chargers

Cowboys
Bears
Saints
Seahawks

BrownsTown
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
r u you serious?

Yea. Pretty much just a feeling, I think the Bears are gonna bomb, and if they do, 9-7 could win that division.

Geo
09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
AFC North- Baltimore
AFC East- New England
AFC South- Indianapolis
AFC West- San Diego

NFC North- Chicago
NFC East- Philadelphia
NFC South- New Orleans
NFC West- San Francisco

Recent history/statistical analysis expects about half the divisions or so will have new champions from the year before, nonetheless I'm sticking with who I think will win.

bearsfan_51
09-03-2007, 11:23 PM
The NFC North could really be anyone.
No it couldn't. The gap last year was HUGE. It won't be quite the cakewalk it was last year, but I gotta say I am amused by the # of people picking the Lions, seemingly to either be creative or just playing the odds that no team can win its division 3 years in a row. It's not like we kinda won the division last year, we stomped all over it.

duckseason
09-03-2007, 11:45 PM
i think anyone who bets against the bears would only do so if they have knowledge no one else does.
it's the logical choice.
like the pats winning the AFCE...

Or they're just keenly aware of the nature of the game. Teams come from seemingly nowhere every season. Others steadily improve, and some get worse. Usually, we fail to predict these things before they happen. If you go back and read the season preview articles that existed prior to any given season, they'd sound pretty dumb for the most part. Things often change very quickly in this league. Like the 5-11 to 11-5 Bears a few years ago. Like the Saints last year. Shoot, just a few years ago you had a 13-3 Chiefs team, a 12-4 Titans team, a 10-6 Dolphins team, a 10-6 Packers team, an 11-5 Panthers team and a 12-4 Rams team. Where did those teams finish last year? The Bears have a 25% chance of winning the North. That won't change until/if they build a lead in the standings. That's logic.

Shiver
09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I give the Bears a 40% chance. I think they deserve the extra percent in their favor.

Shiver
09-03-2007, 11:53 PM
No it couldn't. The gap last year was HUGE. It won't be quite the cakewalk it was last year, but I gotta say I am amused by the # of people picking the Lions, seemingly to either be creative or just playing the odds that no team can win its division 3 years in a row. It's not like we kinda won the division last year, we stomped all over it.

Hey don't yell at me, I picked the Bears to win the division. I just think the Lions will push for the wild-card in the NFC and that the division as a whole won't be as lopsided as it was last year. Would I be stunned if one of the other team won the division? Not at all; in fact I would not be surprised with any team unexpectedly taking any division, parody is the current climate of NFL.

duckseason
09-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I give the Bears a 40% chance. I think they deserve the extra percent in their favor.

Yeah, they're certainly the favorite. I'm just saying that they still have to go out there and do it and that the big surprise team next year could very well reside in their division. Football minds know the Bears are the clear favorite. But in reality they have a 25% chance. It's an assumption that the Bears will win the North this year. An assumption based on the Bears reputation and play on the field over the last few years. I just thought this statement was funny-
I always thought the existing parity in the NFL was common knowledge. That each season is a whole new beast for every team. Every single week, you've got to go out there and prove yourself again. Being a divisional dynasty is not easy. I certainly think the Bears have a great shot at repeating once again, but to act as though it's crazy to pick anybody else seems crazy in itself. To doubt the Bears and tout another team is just as reasonable as touting the Bears and doubting the rest. (and I'm just elaborating here, not speaking directly to you, shiv.)

Shiver
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Actually I think were making the same points.

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2007, 12:23 AM
All I know about the AFCN is that the Ravens won't win it. Tougher schedule this year and things just aren't bound to go as well for them this year as they did last year (see Bengals easier schedule in '05 with less injuries then harder schedule then injuries in '06 costing us).

AFCN - Cincinnati Bengals
AFCE - New England Patriots
AFCW - San Diego Chargers
AFCS - Indianapolis Colts
NFCN - Chicago Bears
NFCE - Philadelphia Eagles
NFCW - Seattle Seahawks
NFCS - New Orleans Saints

I still think you have to give Seattle the edge in the NFCW easy, they won it last year without SA and having Wallace at QB. It could end up being a battle but unless Seattle has troubles again this year the other teams will really have to improve in my eyes.

duckseason
09-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Actually I think were making the same points.

Yeah we are. Not sure why I quoted you or why I felt the need to elaborate.

TitanAddict
09-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Tennessee
Baltimore
San Diego
New England

New Orleans
Green Bay
St. Louis
Philadelphia

Shiver
09-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Tennessee
Baltimore
San Diego
New England

New Orleans
Green Bay
St. Louis
Philadelphia

It's one thing to be optimistic, but really?

Flyboy
09-04-2007, 12:48 AM

VY > Houston, Indianapolis & Jacksonville.

And, I don't mean the football teams either -- I'm talking whole cities.

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2007, 12:51 AM

I laughed at that but TitanAddict probably really believes that. Hard to argue against him being the biggest homer on the board right now.

Shiver
09-04-2007, 12:52 AM
I knew I should have had Atlanta winning the NFC South and Joey Harrington winning the first of many M.V.P trophies. Just like Steve Young transformed from horrible QB in a bad situation (Tampa Bay) into a 'hall of famer' in a good situation. I am such a fool!

WMD
09-04-2007, 12:59 AM
AFC North :: Baltimore Ravens
AFC East :: New York Jets
AFC South :: Indianapolis Colts
AFC West :: San Diego Chargers

NFC North :: Chicago Bears
NFC East :: Philadelphia Eagles
NFC South :: Carolina Panthers
NFC West :: St. Louis Rams

TitanAddict
09-04-2007, 01:04 AM

Dude, I've already gone through my 7 reasons. Do I have to do it again? I just think that the Colts' defense will make them take a step back this year, Jacksonville will be awful offensively, and the Texans are a year behind the Titans as far as development goes. I think the Titans are the most complete team in the division. I know you guys are not as high on our players as I am. I don't think we have too many pro-bowl caliber players (Bulluck, Hope, VY, Roos, Mawae, KVB, Haynesworth, maybe LenWhale eventually), but we have eliminated our weaknesses. The only real question mark that concerns me some is our WRs, but they are probably the least important unit on either side of the ball for us. My rationale is that we need to be solid defensively, have a good running game, and let VY do the rest. We won't win the Superbowl (this year), but I feel that the AFC South is the one division that we can win in the AFC.

I'm not just homering on the Titans. I have no rooting interest for St. Louis or Green Bay, but I am picking them to win their divisions. If you guys haven't figured it out by now, the division winners aren't going to be San Diego, New England, Indy, Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, Seattle, and New Orleans. It's too predictable. There is ALWAYS a surprise team or two that ends up winning the division.

TitanAddict
09-04-2007, 01:06 AM
I knew I should have had Atlanta winning the NFC South and Joey Harrington winning the first of many M.V.P trophies. Just like Steve Young transformed from horrible QB in a bad situation (Tampa Bay) into a 'hall of famer' in a good situation. I am such a fool!

Ha ha ... VY is definitely not Joey Harrington. Although, I think it would be awesome if Harrington resurrected his career in Atlanta under Bobby Petrino. I think Harrington is a genuinely good person and I'd love to see him succeed.

TitanAddict
09-04-2007, 01:07 AM

Finally, someone who understands :)

Ewing
09-04-2007, 01:15 AM
AFC North : Baltimore Ravens
AFC East: New England Patriots
AFC South : Indianapolis Colts
AFC West: Denver Broncos

NFC North: Green Bay Packers
NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles
NFC South : Tampa Bay Buccaneers
NFC West: San Francisco 49ers

awfullyquiet
09-04-2007, 01:23 AM
Or they're just keenly aware of the nature of the game. Teams come from seemingly nowhere every season. Others steadily improve, and some get worse. Usually, we fail to predict these things before they happen. If you go back and read the season preview articles that existed prior to any given season, they'd sound pretty dumb for the most part. Things often change very quickly in this league. Like the 5-11 to 11-5 Bears a few years ago. Like the Saints last year. Shoot, just a few years ago you had a 13-3 Chiefs team, a 12-4 Titans team, a 10-6 Dolphins team, a 10-6 Packers team, an 11-5 Panthers team and a 12-4 Rams team. Where did those teams finish last year? The Bears have a 25% chance of winning the North. That won't change until/if they build a lead in the standings. That's logic.

to be fair duck.
tout the bears, doubt the rest is just as foolish as the opposite.
but. given statistics. you can, as accuscore does on a day to day basis, predict a lot about football. you, and everyone else knows what it takes to win the division. and i just don't believe that the division is as close as everyone makes it out to be. the NFCN. no, this isn't just stupid bears fangirl like **** going on. yes. when it comes to gameday, at 3:05 CDT i will have my bears shirt on. but, with all the major holes in the NFCN, which is arguablly the weakest conference in the league next to, say, the NFCS or AFCW...

sure. **** can always happen. but. i could bet on this one as being a sure lock IMO. moreso than the NFCE, NFCW, NFCS, AFCS, and AFCN. even with injuries. they have the depth to play without ******** themselves.

Smooth Criminal
09-04-2007, 06:02 AM
AFC N- Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC S- Indianapolis Colts
AFC E- New England Patriots
AFC W- San Diego Chargers

NFC N- Detroit Lions
NFC S- Carolina Panthers
NFC E- Philadelphia Eagles
NFC W- St. Louis Rams

thetedginnshow
09-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Bengals
Texans
Patriots
Chargers

Packers
Saints
Cowboys
Seahawks

bearsfan_51
09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Alright Mr.Logical, since everyone has a 25% chance of winning the division, here are my predictions.

NFC

North- Bears
South- Saints
West- Rams
East- Cowboys

AFC

North- Ravens
South- Colts
West- Chargers
East- Patriots

And here are yours

NFC
North- Vikings
South- Falcons
West- Cardinals
East- Giants

AFC

North- Browns
South- Texans
West- Chiefs
East- Dolphins

Now you might say..."I didn't pick those teams", but really, does it matter? Everyone has a 25% chance of winning their division right? I mean...that's only logical. So rather than putting any insight or analysis into it at all, let's just assume that everyone has the same chance, throw **** at a wall, and see what happens. We'll come back about week 8 and see how each of our teams are doing. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my logic takes yours.

moc182
09-04-2007, 10:44 AM

duckseason
09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Alright Mr.Logical, since everyone has a 25% chance of winning the division, here are my predictions.

NFC

North- Bears
South- Saints
West- Rams
East- Cowboys

AFC

North- Ravens
South- Colts
West- Chargers
East- Patriots

And here are yours

NFC
North- Vikings
South- Falcons
West- Cardinals
East- Giants

AFC

North- Browns
South- Texans
West- Chiefs
East- Dolphins

Now you might say..."I didn't pick those teams", but really, does it matter? Everyone has a 25% chance of winning their division right? I mean...that's only logical. So rather than putting any insight or analysis into it at all, let's just assume that everyone has the same chance, throw **** at a wall, and see what happens. We'll come back about week 8 and see how each of our teams are doing. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say my logic takes yours.

Yes, it does matter. I did say in my post that football minds are aware of the fact that the Bears are the favorites to win the division. Just that in reality there are 4 teams vying for one spot, and they all have an equal shot at this point. I'm not throwing anything at a wall. Take my post for what it really is. I'm letting someone know that her assumption is just as much an assumption as anybody else's pick. I was correcting her use of the word logic more so than I was asserting my own. I was pointing out that it's foolish to just assume that all the best teams from last year will again be found at the top this year, and that one does not need any hidden info to pick against a particular team. I certainly don't think that picking the Bears is questionable. I think they're a very good team. Hell, I spent quite awhile in another thread arguing the legitimacy of their status as an elite team. But what they did last year doesn't earn them a damn thing this year other than respect going into the season. When attempting to pick all 8 division winners, you've gotta slide some of last years winners out, and enter in some new teams. So what's wrong with liking one of the Bears divisional rivals to be one of those new teams? It's not necessarily a knock on the Bears if someone picks the Lions. And Bears fans of all people should be aware that it's not outlandish at all to have a 5-11 last place team jumping up to first in one season.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm not really bothered by people picking the Lions/Packers/Vikings as I am by people that say the division is "wide open" or that the Bears only have a 25% chance to win it. That's B.S. Is the AFC East wide open? Do the Texans have as likely of a chance of winning the AFC South as the Colts do? Give the Bears the respect they are due, they've absolutely dominated the division the last two years, and they've got a very good team coming back this year.

awfullyquiet
09-04-2007, 12:33 PM
they don't have an equal shot duck. even if it is before a single game is played. they don't have an equal shot.

the only way you can claim they have an equal shot to win the division is to have equal starting points. seeing as the teams are not at equal starting points, to say they're all at 25% chance shot to win is unreasonable.

sure, it's possible, but you have to look at the starting points of every team. and seeing as we've just had four pre-season games to look at film, dissect and disseminate what teams are doing... the talent is not on equal footing. and if it doesn't start on equal grounds. sure they can win, but with lesser talent, it looks less likely. and most of it, i believe, is just gut intuition that teams other than the best in the division can win. ergo. i say it's illogical sometimes... in the AFCS, the best team isn't defined anymore, so it's up for grabs. in the west, the chargers still look like the best team. in the east the patriots look like the best based on talent they have available, quality of the whole roster, and coaching. if you add those together, the bears would fit in that mold (ish...), whereas the vikes, packers, and lions all have gigantic question marks bigger than a simple grossman will win and lose us 8 games each (but the defense and special teams manage to win an additional 3-4 based off their turnover philsophy).

there's nothing wrong with liking the vikings or lions to win (or even the packers, as they're IMO the best chance to), but to say the division is a total toss up based on who plays quarterback best is ridiculous. the team sport is more than the quarterback play, and someone as supposedly knowledgeable as yourself, shiver, would know that it takes more than qb play to not lose games...

and that's the ultimate goal right? not lose games... you need a running game of sorts, and not really be able give up thirty one points in the first half, and maybe some blocking, and not turning the ball over three times in a half.

it's kinda weird to think about it as not losing games, but winning games is totally overrated. if you can find a way to not lose, you might win more than you think. don't play to win, just play to not lose.

detroit is too aggressive offensively in style to not lose...
this is really just about imbalance of offense, defense, and how conservative one team plays over the other. at the end at least.

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm not really bothered by people picking the Lions/Packers/Vikings as I am by people that say the division is "wide open" or that the Bears only have a 25% chance to win it. That's B.S. Is the AFC East wide open? Do the Texans have as likely of a chance of winning the AFC South as the Colts do? Give the Bears the respect they are due, they've absolutely dominated the division the last two years, and they've got a very good team coming back this year.

i agree. some divisions you can actually say there's a 25% chance of each team winning it. in close competitive divisons like the NFC East, NFC West or NFC South(i dont care what anyone says, it's not "the saints division")

the bears have an obvious edge in the North, just like the Colts and Pats have edges in their division. Is there a chance they won't win it? sure.

duckseason
09-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I hear you. And I think I've been giving the Bears more than their due respect on these boards. The whole 25% thing was me pointing out their true odds. Not what I would personally believe to be their chances. Again, refer to what I was responding to. I do think that all divisions are wide open at this point in the year. Every time a giant falls, it comes as a surprise to the majority. And it happens every year. My crazy ass is actually picking the Colts to take a similar dip. I'm well aware that I'm going against the grain on both of those picks, but so is anybody who is exclusively picking clear favorites because it's "logical" and they want to give everybody their due respect and not hurt anyones feelings. I can respect the Bears greatly for what they've done the past few years and still pick against them this year without having that respect become falsified or tarnished at all.

duckseason
09-04-2007, 12:57 PM
they don't have an equal shot duck. even if it is before a single game is played. they don't have an equal shot.

the only way you can claim they have an equal shot to win the division is to have equal starting points. seeing as the teams are not at equal starting points, to say they're all at 25% chance shot to win is unreasonable.

sure, it's possible, but you have to look at the starting points of every team. and seeing as we've just had four pre-season games to look at film, dissect and disseminate what teams are doing... the talent is not on equal footing. and if it doesn't start on equal grounds. sure they can win, but with lesser talent, it looks less likely. and most of it, i believe, is just gut intuition that teams other than the best in the division can win. ergo. i say it's illogical sometimes... in the AFCS, the best team isn't defined anymore, so it's up for grabs. in the west, the chargers still look like the best team. in the east the patriots look like the best based on talent they have available, quality of the whole roster, and coaching. if you add those together, the bears would fit in that mold (ish...), whereas the vikes, packers, and lions all have gigantic question marks bigger than a simple grossman will win and lose us 8 games each (but the defense and special teams manage to win an additional 3-4 based off their turnover philsophy).

there's nothing wrong with liking the vikings or lions to win (or even the packers, as they're IMO the best chance to), but to say the division is a total toss up based on who plays quarterback best is ridiculous. the team sport is more than the quarterback play, and someone as supposedly knowledgeable as yourself, shiver, would know that it takes more than qb play to not lose games...

and that's the ultimate goal right? not lose games... you need a running game of sorts, and not really be able give up thirty one points in the first half, and maybe some blocking, and not turning the ball over three times in a half.

it's kinda weird to think about it as not losing games, but winning games is totally overrated. if you can find a way to not lose, you might win more than you think. don't play to win, just play to not lose.

detroit is too aggressive offensively in style to not lose...
this is really just about imbalance of offense, defense, and how conservative one team plays over the other. at the end at least.

I respectfully disagree. Everybody is on equal footing at this point. Preseason has nothing to do with it. Everybody is 0-0 and the true odds of winning the division are 25%. That doesn't mean that I would put money on anybody but the Bears if all 4 teams had the same odds at a sportsbook. I'm speaking strictly of true odds when I say 25%. I know the Bears look like the best team right now. I haven't disputed that. And I never said it comes down to QB play. I think Shiver did jokingly, but I have my own legitimate reasons for picking Minnesota. And yes, I can realistically see any of the 4 winning this division. I like different things about all 4 of these teams, and there are things I don't like about each one, too.

I can claim they all have an equal shot because that is the absolute truth. Just like they all had an equal shot in '05. Who was picking the Bears that year? What was there to like about that team in the summer of '05? Who picked the Saints last year? Who picked the Pats in '01 when they were coming off a 5-11 last place finish and finished 11-5 and in first? Were they not on equal footing with the rest of the division? You know what the Colts record was that year? 6-10. The Bengals? 2-14. Again, this is the NFL, and things change very quickly. Sometimes the power shifts on a weekly basis. Look no further than last years Giants. A team can look like a serious contender one week, and then be fighting just to reach .500 a few weeks later.

Shiver
09-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I respectfully disagree. Everybody is on equal footing at this point. Preseason has nothing to do with it. Everybody is 0-0 and the true odds of winning the division are 25%. That doesn't mean that I would put money on anybody but the Bears if all 4 teams had the same odds at a sportsbook. I'm speaking strictly of true odds when I say 25%. I know the Bears look like the best team right now. I haven't disputed that. And I never said it comes down to QB play. I think Shiver did jokingly, but I have my own legitimate reasons for picking Minnesota. And yes, I can realistically see any of the 4 winning this division. I like different things about all 4 of these teams, and there are things I don't like about each one, too.

I can claim they all have an equal shot because that is the absolute truth. Just like they all had an equal shot in '05. Who was picking the Bears that year? What was there to like about that team in the summer of '05? Who picked the Saints last year? Who picked the Pats in '01 when they were coming off a 5-11 last place finish and finished 11-5 and in first? Were they not on equal footing with the rest of the division? You know what the Colts record was that year? 6-10. The Bengals? 2-14. Again, this is the NFL, and things change very quickly. Sometimes the power shifts on a weekly basis. Look no further than last years Giants. A team can look like a serious contender one week, and then be fighting just to reach .500 a few weeks later.

Sigh, some people just don't understand. I guess I can't make a joke about how horrible the NFC North Quarterbacks are without people taking me dead serious. Of course there is more that goes into who will win the NFC North; however, I would still state that the iffy QB play will have a lot to do with how the division unfolds. You cannot tell me that if say Tavaris Jackson stepped up and surprised people with his abilities, and Rex Grossman played like he has, that Minnesota wouldn't gain a lot of ground on Chicago.

SubNoize
09-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Dude, I've already gone through my 7 reasons. Do I have to do it again? I just think that the Colts' defense will make them take a step back this year, Jacksonville will be awful offensively, and the Texans are a year behind the Titans as far as development goes. I think the Titans are the most complete team in the division. I know you guys are not as high on our players as I am. I don't think we have too many pro-bowl caliber players (Bulluck, Hope, VY, Roos, Mawae, KVB, Haynesworth, maybe LenWhale eventually), but we have eliminated our weaknesses. The only real question mark that concerns me some is our WRs, but they are probably the least important unit on either side of the ball for us. My rationale is that we need to be solid defensively, have a good running game, and let VY do the rest. We won't win the Superbowl (this year), but I feel that the AFC South is the one division that we can win in the AFC.

How are you the most complete team in the division when you have arguably the worst depth? You don't find it odd that you are the only person high on your players, which is a pun because you've got to be smoking something. Your receiving core is awful, it's comprised of a hobbling vet and nobodies. Then you look at the RBs and you can clearly see that LenDale doesn't have the conditioning to be a full time back and he's going to have Chris Brown rotating in, who's been nothing in this league so far. If you flip to the defense, you have a strong DT stable, but where's the depth elsewhere? You're DE core is thin and if a starter went down you'd have 0 pass rush. CB has promise, but Finnegan and Harper won't cut it and I've seen Reynaldo Hill burned more times than I can count. I bet you're really banking on Griffin being able to step up though, but rookies are very hit or miss. Saftey outside of Hope has no, well hope. The biggest loss is going to be Pacman's ability to come up with big plays. Last year Pacman set up some drives that VY took advantage of, who's going to be that playmaker, I'm looking and I see nothing. This is going to be a bad, bottom dwelling team and will compete with Houston for worst record in the division and probably bottom 5 spot in the league. Jacksonville and Indy will both sweep this team, one with a stout defense that wont need to score much on offense to win and the other will just overpower your lack of secondary depth and wont have to worry about a bad run defense because Tenn. has no running threat outside of VY. You're a huge homer buddy, open your eyes.

awfullyquiet
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I hear you. And I think I've been giving the Bears more than their due respect on these boards. The whole 25% thing was me pointing out their true odds. Not what I would personally believe to be their chances. Again, refer to what I was responding to. I do think that all divisions are wide open at this point in the year. Every time a giant falls, it comes as a surprise to the majority. And it happens every year. My crazy ass is actually picking the Colts to take a similar dip. I'm well aware that I'm going against the grain on both of those picks, but so is anybody who is exclusively picking clear favorites because it's "logical" and they want to give everybody their due respect and not hurt anyones feelings. I can respect the Bears greatly for what they've done the past few years and still pick against them this year without having that respect become falsified or tarnished at all.

true odds aren't 25% sunshine. because 25% wouldn't be odds. odds are probability which an event might happen. true odds wouldn't be 25% unless the playing field was completely even. is it?

i mean, comparing the colt situation to the bears situation is different based on the amount of quality talent (and in the colts case the loss of basically their entire interior line, and tarik glenn and cato june...) and quality of teams field around it and in its division (comparing jax to GB, minn to hou and det to ten, which group is better? i'm saying the remaining AFCS teams are better than the remaining NFCN teams, and the colts have gotten worse than the bears have based on my last point).

duckseason
09-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Sigh, some people just don't understand. I guess I can't make a joke about how horrible the NFC North Quarterbacks are without people taking me dead serious. Of course there is more that goes into who will win the NFC North; however, I would still state that the iffy QB play will have a lot to do with how the division unfolds. You cannot tell me that if say Tavaris Jackson stepped up and surprised people with his abilities, and Rex Grossman played like he has, that Minnesota wouldn't gain a lot of ground on Chicago.
Yeah, I agree completely. One of these guys could step up big time this year for all we know. Some may not even be starters by seasons end.

I think it's important for everybody to remember that this is a prediction thread. Not a recital of last years NFL standings or a doling out of respect for accomplishments that occurred prior to this season.

awfullyquiet
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
clearly that's what it is.

and shiver, i might take that bet.

with what wide receivers would tavaris jackson be throwing to?
gotcha.

Shiver
09-04-2007, 01:21 PM
clearly that's what it is.

and shiver, i might take that bet.

with what wide receivers would tavaris jackson be throwing to?
gotcha.

What bet? What are you talking about? I was merely posting a hypothetical. I personally think Tavaris Jackson will not amount to anything in the NFL.

duckseason
09-04-2007, 01:21 PM
true odds aren't 25% sunshine. because 25% wouldn't be odds. odds are probability which an event might happen. true odds wouldn't be 25% unless the playing field was completely even. is it?

i mean, comparing the colt situation to the bears situation is different based on the amount of quality talent (and in the colts case the loss of basically their entire interior line, and tarik glenn and cato june...) and quality of teams field around it and in its division (comparing jax to GB, minn to hou and det to ten, which group is better? i'm saying the remaining AFCS teams are better than the remaining NFCN teams, and the colts have gotten worse than the bears have based on my last point).

What are you talking about? There are many ways to express odds. You have it backwards. The true odds are 25%. Wager odds are based on things such as public perception and perceived strength/weakness of a given team. And yes, the playing field is most definitely even. If it weren't, I likely would not be a fan of this league. Not much into wrestling. The Bears reputation as an elite team does not slant the playing field. All of their opponents are given a fair shot at beating them.

awfullyquiet
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
What bet? What are you talking about? I was merely posting a hypothetical. I personally think Tavaris Jackson will not amount to anything in the NFL.

fair enough.

i'm saying tavaris jackson cannot amount to anything in his particular situation.

if he did. and rex played the way he does. i don't see the vikings as being particularly threatening with a (n extremely) lacking wr set and a mediocre (and boring) defense. rex can play however he wants, as long as the defense makes plays and scores, which they have consistently shown since lovie's tenure in chicago they want to and do do. the defense can win games like the 2000 ravens won games. the defense is better than last year with only upgrades to positions seeing as they are fielding everyone except for: alex brown at DE and chris harris/danieal manning at FS. if their defense won them, 4 games last year, i don't see why they couldn't do it this year... and still have distance between them and the vikings. especially with a potentially tougher green bay and a real menacing looking detroit on offense.

awfullyquiet
09-04-2007, 01:54 PM
What are you talking about? There are many ways to express odds. You have it backwards. The true odds are 25%. Wager odds are based on things such as public perception and perceived strength/weakness of a given team. And yes, the playing field is most definitely even. If it weren't, I likely would not be a fan of this league. Not much into wrestling. The Bears reputation as an elite team does not slant the playing field. All of their opponents are given a fair shot at beating them.

no, they have a 25% chance probability to win the division before game one. not 25% odds. i think you're calling probability true odds.

there's implied non-parity to the league. and why i say that is because people constantly beat the system. why do the lions suck year in and year out? why have the patriots been a top team for the past 7 years? why does every year the cards look like they have a shot to blow up? these are all questions that can be answered by how they draft and manage their team, which is above the parity line. the parity line just revolves around talent funneling through the team and not management nor front office talent... the FO's and mgmt will produce consistent results more often than coaches and players, in a long term type of concept. duh. easy idea eh? it's like having two competitive 1000 person staffed company, one run by a bunch of 19 yr olds, and the other by freshly minted MBA's from wharton. who's going to win? the odds on favorite are going to be the 'better' business people. (yes, i'm tying in both here). but they both have the same probability to win at the very start. the 19 yr olds will have newbish mistakes that the MBA's have known to avoid. they will organize, and systematically run their organization to the fullest without hiccups or disruption, whereas the 19 yr olds, the matt millans of the world, will fail until they have the leadership to run an organization. and those 19 yr olds may be able to have some success, but not with the same odds that the wharton bred MBA's would.

duckseason
09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
no, they have a 25% chance probability to win the division before game one. not 25% odds. i think you're calling probability true odds.

there's implied non-parity to the league. and why i say that is because people constantly beat the system. why do the lions suck year in and year out? why have the patriots been a top team for the past 7 years? why does every year the cards look like they have a shot to blow up? these are all questions that can be answered by how they draft and manage their team, which is above the parity line. the parity line just revolves around talent funneling through the team and not management nor front office talent... the FO's and mgmt will produce consistent results more often than coaches and players, in a long term type of concept. duh. easy idea eh? it's like having two competitive 1000 person staffed company, one run by a bunch of 19 yr olds, and the other by freshly minted MBA's from wharton. who's going to win? the odds on favorite are going to be the 'better' business people. (yes, i'm tying in both here). but they both have the same probability to win at the very start. the 19 yr olds will have newbish mistakes that the MBA's have known to avoid. they will organize, and systematically run their organization to the fullest without hiccups or disruption, whereas the 19 yr olds, the matt millans of the world, will fail until they have the leadership to run an organization. and those 19 yr olds may be able to have some success, but not with the same odds that the wharton bred MBA's would.
Right, that's exactly what I said. The true odds are 25%. I don't care what you want to call it, you know what I was saying. Like I said, odds and probability are synonymous. I already stated that football minds are aware that the clear favorites are the Bears. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to educate me on the concept of strengths and weaknesses inherent within NFL teams. You're ignoring the real meaning of my post and choosing to argue semantics instead.

nfrillman
09-04-2007, 03:50 PM
First off, wow has this become a Bears debate all the sudden, with everyone arguing over semantics. To clear this up, from a strictly mathematical standpoint, there are 4 teams in a division, thus each team has a 25% chance. From any perspective outside of strictly mathematical, each team's probability/odds/chances of winning the division is different. On to how the NFL will look at season's end.

AFC East- Patriots
AFC North- Ravens
AFC South- Colts
AFC West- Chargers

NFC East- Eagles
NFC North- Bears
NFC South- Saints
NFC West- Rams

SuperMcGee
09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
My picks would be:

AFC East: New England
AFC North: Cincinnati
AFC South: Indianapolis

NFC East: Philadelphia
NFC North: Chicago
NFC South: Carolina
NFC West: Seattle

B-Dawk
09-04-2007, 04:37 PM

terribletowel39
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
AFC North - Steelers
AFC South - Colts
AFC East - Pats
AFC West - Chargers

NFC North - Vikings
NFC South - Saints
NFC East - Redskins
NFC West - Cardinals

iowatreat54
09-04-2007, 05:53 PM
AFC
North: Bengals
South: Colts
East: Pats
West: Denver

NFC
North: Bears
South: Saints
East: Redskins
West: Cardinals :D

KWill93
09-04-2007, 07:00 PM
AFC North - Baltimore
AFC East - New England
AFC South - Indy
AFC West - San Diego

NFC North - Chicago
NFC East - Philly
NFC West - St Louis
NFC South - New Orleans

JF4
09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
AFC
North: Bengals
South: Colts
East: Pats
West: Chargers

NFC
North: Bears
South: Saints
East: Cowboys
West: Seahawks

McBain
09-04-2007, 10:06 PM
AFC North - Redskins
AFC South - Redskins
AFC East - Redskins
AFC West - Redskins

NFC North - Redskins
NFC South - Redskins
NFC East - Redskins
NFC West - Redskins

Don't ask me how, but you have to believe.

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
AFC North - Redskins
AFC South - Redskins
AFC East - Redskins
AFC West - Redskins

NFC North - Redskins
NFC South - Redskins
NFC East - Redskins
NFC West - Redskins

Don't ask me how, but you have to believe.

I like your choices but I don't see them taking the AFCW with the amount of traveling involved. Other than that you're right on.

McBain
09-04-2007, 10:12 PM
I like your choices but I don't see them taking the AFCW with the amount of traveling involved. Other than that you're right on.

Oh i agree, it will be tough... but our coaching staff and our offseason workouts agree two biscuits don't make a bagel... which is why i think the skins will pull through.

awfullyquiet
09-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Right, that's exactly what I said. The true odds are 25%. I don't care what you want to call it, you know what I was saying. Like I said, odds and probability are synonymous. I already stated that football minds are aware that the clear favorites are the Bears. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to educate me on the concept of strengths and weaknesses inherent within NFL teams. You're ignoring the real meaning of my post and choosing to argue semantics instead.

which was?

that i'm bashing people for making bad predictions?
(isn't that what we do all the time anyway?)
or
that i'm overwhelmingly a stickler on semantics?

i think i was arguing your call for parity from times past/earlier just as something to say.

Ewing
09-06-2007, 04:33 AM
How are you the most complete team in the division when you have arguably the worst depth? You don't find it odd that you are the only person high on your players, which is a pun because you've got to be smoking something. Your receiving core is awful, it's comprised of a hobbling vet and nobodies. Then you look at the RBs and you can clearly see that LenDale doesn't have the conditioning to be a full time back and he's going to have Chris Brown rotating in, who's been nothing in this league so far. If you flip to the defense, you have a strong DT stable, but where's the depth elsewhere? You're DE core is thin and if a starter went down you'd have 0 pass rush. CB has promise, but Finnegan and Harper won't cut it and I've seen Reynaldo Hill burned more times than I can count. I bet you're really banking on Griffin being able to step up though, but rookies are very hit or miss. Saftey outside of Hope has no, well hope. The biggest loss is going to be Pacman's ability to come up with big plays. Last year Pacman set up some drives that VY took advantage of, who's going to be that playmaker, I'm looking and I see nothing. This is going to be a bad, bottom dwelling team and will compete with Houston for worst record in the division and probably bottom 5 spot in the league. Jacksonville and Indy will both sweep this team, one with a stout defense that wont need to score much on offense to win and the other will just overpower your lack of secondary depth and wont have to worry about a bad run defense because Tenn. has no running threat outside of VY. You're a huge homer buddy, open your eyes.

Ignore TA, just like everyone on the Titans board does.

yodabear
09-06-2007, 07:26 AM

I have to disagree. The true odds in the north divisions are not 25%. The true odds in the AFC north are that the Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens have a 33.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 3333% chance, while the Browns have 0. In the NFC North, its a 98% chance the Bears will win it, a 2% chance Brett Favre pulls something out of his ass.

And then yes, the rest of the divisions, are 25% odds.

Geo
09-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Except for his descriptions of lethal injuries to one Josh Brown, yoda is eerily accurate on these type of things. Hopefully he picked the Colts.

TacticaLion
09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
In the NFC North, its a 98% chance the Bears will win it, a 2% chance Brett Favre pulls something out of his ass.
I'm not great at math, but that leaves the Vikings and Lions with a 0% chance to win the division.

Interesting.

A great example of why no one predicts correctly.

No team has a 0% chance... especially in the NFC North. Any team in the NFL can break out and win a division. It happens every year, yet most seem to ignore it.

Some players breakout, others struggle and injuries hit... hard. Most have the Colts winning the AFC South, but what if Peyton falls with an injury? Who takes it then? What about a Brady-less Patriots team? Still tops of the AFC East?

Yes, it's a "what if"... but "what iffing" is a big part of a prediction. Nothing ever happens as planned... teams always surprise.

Every team has more than a 0% chance.

bearsfan_51
09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm not great at math, but that leaves the Vikings and Lions with a 0% chance to win the division.

Interesting.

A great example of why no one predicts correctly.

No team has a 0% chance... especially in the NFC North. Any team in the NFL can break out and win a division. It happens every year, yet most seem to ignore it.

Some players breakout, others struggle and injuries hit... hard. Most have the Colts winning the AFC South, but what if Peyton falls with an injury? Who takes it then? What about a Brady-less Patriots team? Still tops of the AFC East?

Yes, it's a "what if"... but "what iffing" is a big part of a prediction. Nothing ever happens as planned... teams always surprise.

Every team has more than a 0% chance.
I don't think Yoda has ever made a serious post in his life.

TacticaLion
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I don't think Yoda has ever made a serious post in his life.I would've taken that into consideration, but that perspective is shared by many.

SuperMcGee
12-31-2007, 01:21 AM
As you'd expect, nobody got all eight. We weren't really close. Just one person had more than 5 right

Final results that are a little surprising on paper:

Best: Tubby - 6
Worst: Shiver - 1

Only one person, thetedginnshow, got more than two NFC picks right

BuckNaked
12-31-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't think I posted them here, but my picks I made for my pool were:

afc east: NE
afc north: BAL
afc south: IND
afc west: SD

nfc east: DAL
nfc north: CHI
nfc south: NO
nfc west: SEA

The Legend
12-31-2007, 02:12 AM
AFC North - Cleveland Browns

NFC North - Green Bay Packers
NFC South - Atlanta Falcons
NFC West - Seatle Seahawks

KCJ58
12-31-2007, 02:34 AM

5 out 8 ain't bad :)

Football Fan
12-31-2007, 02:42 AM
I didnt read everything that was posted but from what I did read shiver and duckseason come out smelling like roses.

TimD
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM

Ouch 4 out of 8. And the 4 I got were the give ins.

CC.SD
12-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Can't believe how many people didn't think a 14-2 team would repeat as division winner. Bizarre.