PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Padres Discussion

KCJ58
09-03-2007, 06:55 PM
As a Dodger fan i hate to say it but you guys are doing well

just sweep the Dimondbacks for us and will sweep the Cubs and we'll all be cool :)

sdpads24
09-03-2007, 07:31 PM
The Padres don't get much attention on this site, much of the charger fans on here seem to be in different parts of the country so I figure I'm one of the only padre fans on here. It certainly is a fun time of year to be a baseball fan though.

defensiveback23
02-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I thought it would be nice to attempt a revival of this thread since baseball season is around the corner. As usual we are being ranked in the middle of the NL West pack, but we somehow always manage to compete for the division crown.

Possible discussion topics:

1) Potential contribution of Mark Prior. Imagine our rotation if he can stay healthy and CY can put together a full season of starts.

2) Tony Clark signing. Under the radar but he is the power bat off the bench we have been in dire need of. Adrian is poised for a huger year now that we have a competent backup to give him rest every once in a while.

3) Outfield situation. I think Jim Edmonds will be great this year. I am a huge fan of Mike Cameron but if Jimmy stays healthy we will have a big increase in offensive production with only a slight drop off in defense. Giles should be healthy and provide his usual high OBP. Contrary to what a lot of experts say, I think LF will be a strength of the team. Hairston put up great numbers and had some huge clutch hits in the limited at bats he got. He deserves a shot at the full time role. Headley is also going to be a stud whether its at LF or 3rd.

4) Since this is an NFL Draft site it would be appropriate to have a baseball equivalence thread about our minor leagues and prospects. The Padres system keeps getting higher and higher in organizational talent rankings and we are now comfortably in the top 10. There is a nice mix of established college talent being infused into the system and exciting Latin American talent beginning to come stateside.

defensiveback23
02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
For those who care the Padres played their annual charity game today against the Mariners but lost 10-3.
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080228&content_id=2394975&vkey=spt2008gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd#boxscore

On the bright side our outfield situation is looking better by the day. Jody Gerut is looking like a keeper. After tearing up the Venezuelan league his raking has continued stateside. Chase Headley is holding his own out in left field but with the way some of these other guys are playing he may start the year in AAA. The guy I'm most excited about right now is Callix Crabbe who we drafted in the rule 5 draft. He has the speed the team is sorely lacking, can hit and can play the infield and CF. He could become a super utility player with the chance to possibly become a Chone Figgins type. With football over, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Friars season.

sdpads24
02-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I would love for Wade Leblanc to make the team as a 5th starter. He might be better off if he started in triple A, but if he can pitch in the big leagues now, why not play him. He has a great change up and can throw strikes. He reminds me a lot of Barry Zito.

defensiveback23
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I would love for Wade Leblanc to make the team as a 5th starter. He might be better off if he started in triple A, but if he can pitch in the big leagues now, why not play him. He has a great change up and can throw strikes. He reminds me a lot of Barry Zito.

I agree completely. The only thing holding him back is fastball command, once that comes he will be a solid player for us. I can't say I've seen him pitch before but everything I've read looks positive. One thing that jumped out to me is the reason his change is so good. He throws two separate but equally devastating changeups, just ridiculous.

We finally have some exciting pitchers coming up. Once Carillo is healthy he is going to be a stud and will take over the #3 spot. Matt Bush might be a potential closer once he comes back from Tommy John surgery. Too not pitch for a few years then come out throwing 97 consistently and spotting it is crazy. Maybe our most exciting prospect Mat Latos has potential #1 stuff with a great heater and solid secondary pitches. Wilton Lopez should be pretty close to making the roster and will not disappoint with his mid 90s power sinker. There are so many more I can talk about like Miller, Luebke, Breit, Ramos, Frieri, Peltzer, McBryde etc... but I think my point got across.

KCJ58
05-09-2008, 05:36 PM
what a waste
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080509&content_id=2669243&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

DonWoods33
05-10-2008, 11:35 PM
what a waste
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080509&content_id=2669243&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Another in the long line of broken down war horses, that this silly team has hitched their wagon too, only to see it going crashing down a hill. Here it comes boys the long dark tunnel of losing. After forty years they still can't draft and develop more then a player or two, every now and then. So what can you expect?

TheBuffaloBills
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM
My cousin is Trevor Hoffman, so I am a padres fan...... You think he is going to the Hall?

sdpads24
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
My cousin is Trevor Hoffman, so I am a padres fan...... You think he is going to the Hall?

Well I think he should...He is the all time saves leader. He has been frustrating at times over his career, but you can't deny his stats.