PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs TCU

TouchdownUSC
09-03-2007, 08:18 PM
many people think TCU is this year's Bosie St. they play Texas @ Texas next weekend which could ruin their chance at a BCS bid. how do you think the Horned Frogs will fair in Austin?

I personally think Texas will win. Too many weapons on offense...Jaamal Charles, Limas Sweed and McCoy. Plus I think TCU's new QB will get rattled and wont be able to move the ball down field as well as the Longhorns. I am taking Texas by 10-14 pts.

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
many people think TCU is this year's Bosie St. they play Texas @ Texas next weekend which could ruin their chance at a BCS bid. how do you think the Horned Frogs will fair in Austin?

I personally think Texas will win. Too many weapons on offense...Jaamal Charles, Limas Sweed and McCoy. Plus I think TCU's new QB will get rattled and wont be able to move the ball down field as well as the Longhorns. I am taking Texas by 10-14 pts.

Texas is a 10 point favorite

TouchdownUSC
09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
sweet. i am pretty close with my prediction then

RyanLeaf#1
09-03-2007, 08:24 PM
sweet. i am pretty close with my prediction then

We will see what happens on Saturday

P-L
09-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Texas didn't look too good last week. However, I still think they win.

etk
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I'd take TCU +10. Not too confident about their chances of winning, though. They will need career games from both DEs.

TouchdownUSC
09-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd take TCU +10. Not too confident about their chances of winning, though. They will need career games from both DEs.

yeah, that and an offense that will put up points. no matter how many stops TCU's defense can make they will still need to have a decent offense if they are going to beat texas

Don Vito
09-04-2007, 12:32 AM
It's gonna be a great game and we are gonna see one of the matchups of the year which could define 2 prospects-Tony Hills Jr. vs. Tommy Blake.

V. Young
09-04-2007, 12:46 AM
I take tcu. Texas looked terrible. TCU looked good.

TouchdownUSC
09-04-2007, 12:52 AM
yeah but it was opening weekend too for college football. i'd say at least half the top teams did not look too impressive in their debuts. but if you think tcu will win fair enough...

SuperKevin
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Atleast Texas gets Billy Pittman back for this game

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Well we didnt look very good in our opener, and it scares me because Colt is seasoned now, but at the same time it doesnt worry me...if anything id prefer a close game to keep us on our guard...

But I really like TCU, they have had a solid program for some years now, and this yr is no different, their defense is really strong and should keep the game relatively low scoring...I think we score low 30's, and that it should be close until the 2nd half then we pull away, but I really would not be surprised to see them squeak out an upset to be perfectly honest, we always play bad at least once a yr vs a team outside the normal tough matchups, but TCU is expected to give us a fight which makes me think mack brown will have the boys ready 2 play...

31-20 Texas

Iamcanadian
09-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Unfortunately for teams like TCU, in order to get Texas on their schedule, they have to play the game at Texas. That's a huge advantage for Texas and will prove to be way too much for TCU. Texas had better win by more than 10 points at home if they want to stay in the BCS NC race.

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
People can say what they want about TCU being this years Boise State. But TCU plays a way harder schedule then Boise ever does, and this years TCU team would beat last years Boise team.

TigerBait45
09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
TCU is good enough to win, especially if Texas plays like they did against ASU.

Texas will probably win but it'll be really close.

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
TCU is good enough to win, especially if Texas plays like they did against ASU.

Texas will probably win but it'll be really close.

It wouldnt shock me one bit if TCU pulls the upset.

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
It wouldnt shock me one bit if TCU pulls the upset.

hell me either, id love to see TCU make the jump to the big 12 south instead of conference usa...they would be an improvement over baylor and could compete with the likes of k state and ok state...

i dont think it will be as close as i originally thought, seeing how close we won the week before, but i wouldnt be surprised none the less...i really just want to win the big 12 this yr, if colt improves like he should have and he shows me that ill have high hopes for a NC run

Gchu83
09-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Atleast Texas gets Billy Pittman back for this game

Unfortunately this isn't true, Pittman was suspended for 3 games for borrowing a car from a friend over the summer. There was also no guarantee he would have played anyways.

If Texas plays anywhere near the way they did last week, we'll be in trouble. But I expect our guys to come out with more focus and execute better.

D-Unit
09-04-2007, 04:25 PM
People can say what they want about TCU being this years Boise State. But TCU plays a way harder schedule then Boise ever does, and this years TCU team would beat last years Boise team.
This Texas game is the only big time opponent TCU has had over the past 3 years. Other than this, they've only played cup cake teams, so don't over exaggerate like you usually do.

People knock the WAC like no other. It's a stereotype of many football fans. Yet when teams like Hawaii try to schedule better teams, most cop out. Michigan State pulled out of their game against us this year because they were afraid to lose. Michigan's AD had accepted Hawaii's offer to play them in their home opener, but Lloyd Carr rejected it wanting to play App St. USC, Texas, Louisville, Texas A&M all turned down Hawaii's offer to play them.

P-L
09-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Michigan's AD had accepted Hawaii's offer to play them in their home opener, but Lloyd Carr rejected it wanting to play App St.

That isn't entirely true. Michigan was scheduled to open with Eastern Michigan. However, Bill Martin was able to move the game back a few weeks. Martin then was the one the scheduled Appalachian State, and Lloyd Carr actually didn't want any part of Appalachian State. Sources told the Detroit Free Press that Lloyd Carr was worried about the Appalachian State game well before the season started. Martin contacted Appalachian State first but then agreed to play Hawaii before they had responded. When ASU agreed to come to the Big House, it was Martin who went with them instead of Hawaii.

D-Unit
09-04-2007, 05:46 PM
That isn't entirely true. Michigan was scheduled to open with Eastern Michigan. However, Bill Martin was able to move the game back a few weeks. Martin then was the one the scheduled Appalachian State, and Lloyd Carr actually didn't want any part of Appalachian State. Sources told the Detroit Free Press that Lloyd Carr was worried about the Appalachian State game well before the season started. Martin contacted Appalachian State first but then agreed to play Hawaii before they had responded. When ASU agreed to come to the Big House, it was Martin who went with them instead of Hawaii.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Just goes to show how hard it is for a team in the Pacific to schedule a good school. They don't want to play, because there isn't enough to gain by beating them, yet the odds of losing are increased.

At least Michigan would've lost to a ranked opponent. ;)

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
This Texas game is the only big time opponent TCU has had over the past 3 years. Other than this, they've only played cup cake teams, so don't over exaggerate like you usually do.

People knock the WAC like no other. It's a stereotype of many football fans. Yet when teams like Hawaii try to schedule better teams, most cop out. Michigan State pulled out of their game against us this year because they were afraid to lose. Michigan's AD had accepted Hawaii's offer to play them in their home opener, but Lloyd Carr rejected it wanting to play App St. USC, Texas, Louisville, Texas A&M all turned down Hawaii's offer to play them.

If I recall in 2005 TCU opened up at Oklahoma and beat them. They went 11-1 that year with wins also over BYU,Utah, and Iowa State in their bowl game. I wouldnt call Oklahoma a cupcake team. Last year they held Texas Tech to 3 points, and I also wouldnt call Texas Tech a cupcake team. If your trying to make the arguement that Boise State plays a harder schedule your crazy. The Mountain West has way more talent then the WAC.

Brent
09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
This is a slightly off topic but LonghornsLegend, I just noticed you sig says Texas University...

D-Unit
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
If I recall in 2005 TCU opened up at Oklahoma and beat them. They went 11-1 that year with wins also over BYU,Utah, and Iowa State in their bowl game. I wouldnt call Oklahoma a cupcake team. Last year they held Texas Tech to 3 points, and I also wouldnt call Texas Tech a cupcake team. If your trying to make the arguement that Boise State plays a harder schedule your crazy. The Mountain West has way more talent then the WAC.
No argument, I'm just clarifying the truth. Didn't Boise St. beat OU last year as well? You mention BYU, Utah, Iowa St., Texas Tech...

Well, I'm not all up and up on Boise's schedule the last few years, but Hawaii is in the WAC and I have followed them. Michigan St., Purdue, Northwestern, Alabama, Arizona St.... all teams Hawaii beat in very recent years. While their schedule is weak this year, it is a byproduct of us beating these teams and scaring opponents away. Nobody wanted to face Colt Brennan in his senior year and that is a fact.

The WAC is on the rise and I can't really say that about the Mountain West. Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii are the big 3 with New Mexico State, San Jose State, Nevada and UNLV close behind.

yo123
09-04-2007, 08:01 PM
10 seems like a huge spread for this game I'd take TCU in a heartbeat

SuperKevin
09-04-2007, 08:02 PM
No argument, I'm just clarifying the truth. Didn't Boise St. beat OU last year as well? You mention BYU, Utah, Iowa St., Texas Tech...

Well, I'm not all up and up on Boise's schedule the last few years, but Hawaii is in the WAC and I have followed them. Michigan St., Purdue, Northwestern, Alabama, Arizona St.... all teams Hawaii beat in very recent years. While their schedule is weak this year, it is a byproduct of us beating these teams and scaring opponents away. Nobody wanted to face Colt Brennan in his senior year and that is a fact.

The WAC is on the rise and I can't really say that about the Mountain West. Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii are the big 3 with New Mexico State, San Jose State, Nevada and UNLV close behind.

UNLV is in the Mountain West Conference

D-Unit
09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
UNLV is in the Mountain West Conference
I guess we play them so often, I forget.

Back to the subject...

Texas wins this game but doesn't cover the spread.

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2007, 09:52 PM
This is a slightly off topic but LonghornsLegend, I just noticed you sig says Texas University...

sure does, it was a typo by NEXXX, not sure if he's still around or not, but i asked him to see if he could change it and well that never happened, beggers cant be choosers, but its time to move on to the next sig...

but on topic, TCU doesnt always have the easiest schedule, and when they do get big opponents always come to play...ive bee a fan of TCU for some time and love the program they have built over the last few years...it takes some guts to put teams like Texas on your schedule when you could easily walk to an undefeated record every yr with small time games...

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 01:01 AM

All them teams you named have been real powerhouses lately... Come on give me a break. I wouldnt want to face Hawaii either look at their current schedule. If you beat them noone is going to give you credit. BTW San Jose State absolutely blows.

diabsoule
09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
I think TCU is going to give Texas a good run for its money. I think an upset would not be out of the question especially considering how Texas looked against Arkansas St. during their opener.

D-Unit
09-05-2007, 02:07 AM
All them teams you named have been real powerhouses lately... Come on give me a break. I wouldnt want to face Hawaii either look at their current schedule. If you beat them noone is going to give you credit. BTW San Jose State absolutely blows.
There you go again, over exaggerating... I didn't incline to call them "powerhouses", but your twisting of it to sound like I did, makes me smirk. They are no worse than BYU, Utah or Iowa St... the teams you mentioned in crowning TCU.

This is the first year, Hawaii has had a really bad schedule, so don't act like it's a commonplace. They've scheduled USC, Wisconsin, Alabama, Michigan St, Purdue, Northwestern, Oregon St as their Non-Conference games in the last 2 years. Beating some of them has had a negative affect on scheduling more big schools, and if you don't accept that, you're flat out denying the truth.

San Jose State is getting better, but most people don't see it. They have been really bad in the past, but Dick Tomey is slowly turning that program around.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 02:41 PM
There you go again, over exaggerating... I didn't incline to call them "powerhouses", but your twisting of it to sound like I did, makes me smirk. They are no worse than BYU, Utah or Iowa St... the teams you mentioned in crowning TCU.

This is the first year, Hawaii has had a really bad schedule, so don't act like it's a commonplace. They've scheduled USC, Wisconsin, Alabama, Michigan St, Purdue, Northwestern, Oregon St as their Non-Conference games in the last 2 years. Beating some of them has had a negative affect on scheduling more big schools, and if you don't accept that, you're flat out denying the truth.

San Jose State is getting better, but most people don't see it. They have been really bad in the past, but Dick Tomey is slowly turning that program around.

So im guessing you think Boise State is going to win at Washington this week? Boise is the favorite btw.

D-Unit
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
So im guessing you think Boise State is going to win at Washington this week? Boise is the favorite btw.
I don't know what I think about that game. Hawaii will play both of them this season. I hope they have a tight game and that Hawaii smashes them both.

jayceheathman
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM

Dont worry D-Unit. New Mexico State will play you and beat you! :)

D-Unit
09-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Dont worry D-Unit. New Mexico State will play you and beat you! :)
Ha ha.... I heard that before. We know what happened in your own house. This time you guys are coming to Hawaii and will go home thinking your the JV version of Hawaii.

jbsg02
09-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Texas was REAL sloppy last week, they gotta do much better against TCU. If TCU wins, that's gonna be a HUGE blow for the big 12's rep, seeing as it's not so good right now.

D-Unit
09-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm going to say it right now and I hope I'm wrong, but TCU will win this game commandingly.

SuperKevin
09-06-2007, 05:56 PM
i have to think Colt McCoy turns it around and has a much better game against TCU than he did against Arkansas St. I'm thinking Texas wins 27-13

LonghornsLegend
09-07-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm going to say it right now and I hope I'm wrong, but TCU will win this game commandingly.

*gasp*

im shocked! lol no not really, but I would be surprised if TCU won commandingly though, as much as people want to focus on our first game I just think it opened our eyes up as a game we could lose, and to get on our feet...I dont think, IF it turns into a shootout that TCU can keep up, if its low scoring they have a very good chance....

but im still sticking with 31-20, but i cant help but be nervous with this game...no its not a big12 game so it wont be the end of the world, and i would be happy for TCU, but its a game we should win and i better see the progress with colt before i start calling for the dual qb system which i hate in texas

ncbigbody
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Well, seeing as how Colt McCoy is the most over rated QB in the country, coupled with the fact that Texas couldn't stop a middle school offense, I could see an uspet.

LonghornsLegend
09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Well we didnt look very good in our opener, and it scares me because Colt is seasoned now, but at the same time it doesnt worry me...if anything id prefer a close game to keep us on our guard...

But I really like TCU, they have had a solid program for some years now, and this yr is no different, their defense is really strong and should keep the game relatively low scoring...I think we score low 30's, and that it should be close until the 2nd half then we pull away, but I really would not be surprised to see them squeak out an upset to be perfectly honest, we always play bad at least once a yr vs a team outside the normal tough matchups, but TCU is expected to give us a fight which makes me think mack brown will have the boys ready 2 play...

31-20 Texas

Final Score

Texas-34
TCU-13

I was pretty head on with most of my predictions of our team...We scored all 34 points in the 2nd half when we took over, and it ended up being 34-3 in the final 2 quarters...TCU hung in there and dominated in the first, but a few mistakes let the crowd get into it and was just too much

jayceheathman
09-08-2007, 10:23 PM

Your Warriors almost lost to LA Tech. Heck of a gamble to go for the 2point conversion in overtime but didnt pay off.

RyanLeaf#1
09-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Texas looked really good in the 2nd half of this game