PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Williams: chance to shine

Shiver
09-04-2007, 12:00 AM
http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/09/03/falnotes_0904.html

Falcons defensive back Jimmy Williams is set to open the season as the team's starting free safety if Chris Crocker can't return from a knee injury.
Williams, the team's top draft pick in 2006, played sparingly at cornerback last season and was moved to safety during the offseason. Crocker suffered a bone bruise to his right knee against the Cincinnati Bengals on Aug. 27. He didn't practice Monday.

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said Williams is ready to start if Crocker can't play Sunday at Minnesota. "We'll get him ready to go," Zimmer said. "He's understanding the checks much better. Now he's got to be a football player."
Williams' play steadily improved over the exhibition season. With Crocker out for the final preseason game against Baltimore, Williams played most of the game at free safety.
"I expect Jimmy to continue to play better," Zimmer said. "He played well in the last game. He didn't play as well in the one before. He was much more physical and he lined up better. Hopefully, we can get him to take the next step and react on those things fast."

I hope he takes the bull by the horns and becomes the player we need him to be. We all know Chris Crocker is horrible. Let's hope Jimmy Williams takes the job and never looks back.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
From AF.com
"The coach said defensive tackle Rod Coleman's status for Sunday at Minnesota is "still up in the air." He said veteran safety Chris Crocker, who suffered a bone bruise in the third preseason game against the Bengals, will be ready to practice Wednesday.

I hope he is out and Jimmy plays well. What is more likley though is that Crocker plays and plays bad. With some big blown assignments that, if it were Williams, would be forgivable because its his first real game at FS but, as usual, we will have a vet in there making rookie mistakes

Shiver
09-04-2007, 12:06 AM
I will be very concerned if the team trots out a less than 100% Chris Crocker in favor of a fully healthy Jimmy Williams. That will tell me all I need to know about the team's confidence in Williams' ability. He should have already won the starting job!

iloxygenil
09-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Well, I'm not too worried about it, Williams has to learn by playing, so stick him out there...if we don't it's going to be a LONG season for us, let him learn early instead of late...get that unity together later in the season instead of trying to plug and play later.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I will be very concerned if the team trots out a less than 100% Chris Crocker in favor of a fully healthy Jimmy Williams. That will tell me all I need to know about the team's confidence in Williams' ability. He should have already won the starting job!

Exactly. I'm sure they know just as well how terrible Crocker is.

Shiver
09-05-2007, 02:39 PM
From Steve Wyche's blog:

Free safety Chris Crocker (bone bruise, knee) was the only player not practice and it is looking more likely that Jimmy Williams will start in Crocker’s place in the season-opener.

Based on coaches’ comments following practice, Williams could be starting on merit. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and head coach Bobby Petrino said they feel Williams has grown into the position after coming into the league last season as a cornerback.

On the issue of growing, Williams said he’s added about 10 pounds and is up to nearly 220. The added size gives him a better chance to deal with the physical rigors of playing safety, Williams said.
Great news, we really need him to be a stud FS. DeAngelo Hall, in particular because of his gambling style, needs great safety play behind him.

Draft King
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
The problem with Jimmy and the most frustrating thing, is that he has all the tools to be great. He has size, (6'2), the bulk, (220) and the 4.4 speed to excel at his position in the NFL. He's just got to get his head straight and work on his game a little and we could have a top defense.

Shiver
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Atlanta has the most physically talented secondary in the entire NFL. All these guys need to learn how to play with the 3-lbs muscle between the ears.

D-Rod
09-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Atlanta has the most physically talented secondary in the entire NFL. All these guys need to learn how to play with the 3-lbs muscle between the ears.

Indeed. But if I would trust anyone to get their heads sorted, it would be Zimmer. And just imagine, if he does sort them out, the aggressive D we could play with two CBs with 4.3 speed and a FS with 4.4 speed. There will be some errors, we will have to expect that, at least this year. But there should be some great plays too.

And if we draft a SS in the 2nd this year, in 2009 we could have the best secondary in the league.

DraftMichaelHuff
09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
From Steve Wyche's blog:
Quote:
Free safety Chris Crocker (bone bruise, knee) was the only player not practice and it is looking more likely that Jimmy Williams will start in Crocker’s place in the season-opener.

Based on coaches’ comments following practice, Williams could be starting on merit. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and head coach Bobby Petrino said they feel Williams has grown into the position after coming into the league last season as a cornerback.

On the issue of growing, Williams said he’s added about 10 pounds and is up to nearly 220. The added size gives him a better chance to deal with the physical rigors of playing safety, Williams said.

Great news, we really need him to be a stud FS. DeAngelo Hall, in particular because of his gambling style, needs great safety play behind him.

Thats one of the best things ive ever read about Williams since he has been in Atlanta, really really good news.

I agree that physically Jimmy Williams has "it", you can tell when guys have "it", a guy that is able to gain weight like that (remember he lost weight at the start of the year) is a really athlete, i cant wait to see a shot on Troy Williamson as he tries to cross the middle on Sunday

Indeed. But if I would trust anyone to get their heads sorted, it would be Zimmer. And just imagine, if he does sort them out, the aggressive D we could play with two CBs with 4.3 speed and a FS with 4.4 speed. There will be some errors, we will have to expect that, at least this year. But there should be some great plays too.

And if we draft a SS in the 2nd this year, in 2009 we could have the best secondary in the league.

My only additon to that would be that if Daren Stone keeps playing the way he is there may not be a need to grab a SS in round 2 next year.

I hope thats the case so we can throw some picks together come up with a 2006 Clevland Browns esk 1st round, my sights are firmly set on QB Andre Woodson and a franchise LT (Oher Clady Barker or Long) in the first round, once those positions are addressed im happy to wait till day 2 for Mckay to find more Gems

d34ng3l021
09-06-2007, 01:12 PM
How I have longed for a stud safety on the Falcons...Every year, I hope to draft the top safety, and it seems completely plausible until draft day. First Huff, then Landry.

I hope Williams can fit the bill. He has all the tools.