PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Barber rips Tom Coughlin

Ewing
09-04-2007, 05:28 AM
Tiki Barber says he would still be playing football if the Giants had a new head coach.

The recently retired star running back has used his new memoir to rip Big Blue boss Tom Coughlin, blaming his former head coach for driving him from the game he loved.

"If Tom Coughlin had not remained as head coach of the Giants, I might still be in a Giants uniform," Barber wrote in his upcoming book "Tiki: My Life in the Game and Beyond," excerpts of which were obtained by the Daily News.

"[Coughlin] robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football," Barber wrote. "I had lost that. He had taken it away."

Barber has unleashed a steady stream of verbal jabs at his former coach and teammates since he walked off the gridiron in January at the age of 31 to pursue a TV career.

Barber, who landed a regular gig on NBC's "Today" and its upcoming "Sunday Night Football" telecasts, most recently engaged in a war of words with Eli Manning, accusing the young Giants quarterback of not showing enough leadership.

Most of his vitriol in the book is reserved for Coughlin. Though he credits his former coach for helping solve a chronic fumbling problem, Barber believes his on-the-field performance saved Coughlin's job.

"It's a double-edged sword, because as much as Coach Coughlin helped me, I also helped Tom Coughlin," he wrote. Barber says he believes the Giants' win over the Redskins in 2006 - which put them into the playoffs - allowed Coach Coughlin to keep his job.

In last season's final game, Barber rushed for a career-best 234 yards against Washington. The Giants were knocked out of the playoffs the following week in his last game.

He says he came to resent the way he was being treated so much by the end of last season that he decided to quit even though his love for football never waned.

In the book, Barber defends his decision to walk away from football even though he was still clearly at the top of his game, having just become the Giants' all-time leader in rushing yards and receptions.

"The fans normally only see me suited up on Sunday," Barber wrote. "They never witness the agony of Monday morning, or all the muscle-straining workouts, the practices, the blood, the sweat, and tears it takes to walk out onto the field.

He wrote that fans who don't witness the pain athletes go through can't understand why so many sports figures quit. He said that by walking away, true-blue fans saw him as a heretic, while those who saw football as a war considered him a deserter. He also slams the Giants for underpaying him, claiming he made about half of what some of the NFL's other top running backs made.

Barber says Big Blue shorted him about $10 million over his career.

He said the Giants should have won more championships over the years, but failed to do so because they have never been too smart about attracting and retaining high-caliber players or coaches.

Longtime Giants fans have never forgiven the owners for letting two of the best coaches in football - Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry - get away. Both took head coaching jobs after the Giants failed to promote them. Barber angrily rebutted those in the media who slammed his decision to announce his retirement during the middle of last season.

"It was overwhelmingly negative," he wrote. "One theme: I was a 'distraction' to my teammates. I was labeled self-centered, a loose cannon, not a team player."

The 240-page book, which Barber co-wrote with Gil Reavill and was published by Simon Spotlight, goes on sale Sept. 18.

Do we really need any more reasons to hate Tom Coughlin?

thetedginnshow
09-04-2007, 05:48 AM
I used to dislike Tiki, but now I'm starting to respect him. He's probably going to get himself taken off the air and he's going to destroy the Giants while he's at it. Preach on, Mr. Barber!

bored of education
09-04-2007, 06:35 AM
They're both dead to me

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
this is garbage, pure garbage. tedginshow, it wont destroy the giants at all, they all loved when eli shot back at Tiki. tiki is just making this up, all along he's said he wanted to retire early with his legs fine and his body not too beat up. early in his career he said he would only play 9-10 years. thats what he did. as much as I loved to see #21 in blue on the field, he's an CENSORS EXIST FOR A BLOODY REASON, STOP TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT THEM now and a total cancer to the team. if any one believes this crap they dont know too much about football.

he says in the beginning how he may still be playing but then talks of him retiring early because of the pain athletes go through on Monday-Saturday. he was labeled a loose cannon and selfish player from throwing his coaches under the bus and blabbing to reporters...

BlindSite
09-04-2007, 06:44 AM
I don't like Tiki Barber and I really lost all respect for him a while ago when he ripped on strahan for wanting a better contract back in 03, or was it 04? Not that long ago anyway.

Ewing
09-04-2007, 06:55 AM
if any one believes this crap they dont know too much about football..

Anybody who supports Tom Coughlin doesn't know much about football.

thetedginnshow
09-04-2007, 07:02 AM
this is garbage, pure garbage. tedginshow, it wont destroy the giants at all, they all loved when eli shot back at Tiki. tiki is just making this up, all along he's said he wanted to retire early with his legs fine and his body not too beat up. early in his career he said he would only play 9-10 years. thats what he did. as much as I loved to see #21 in blue on the field, he's an @$$ now and a total cancer to the team. if any one believes this crap they dont know too much about football.

he says in the beginning how he may still be playing but then talks of him retiring early because of the pain athletes go through on Monday-Saturday. he was labeled a loose cannon and selfish player from throwing his coaches under the bus and blabbing to reporters...

Haha. You misunderstand, scottyhomer. I hate the Giants. Well actually, maybe you didn't misunderstand, but this is just realistic optimism from me. But using the "you don't know anything about football 'cuz you don't agree with me" bit in this situation is a tad... interesting?

Bills2083
09-04-2007, 07:07 AM
I used to have respect for Tiki, but now, not so much.

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 07:56 AM

who said i ever supported Tom Coughlin... but still its hard not to support a coach who makes it to the playoffs back to back years

ttgs, i never said someone doesnt know football cuz they dont agree with me, i said if you believe Tiki you dont know about football...

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 07:57 AM

Whats there not to support about Tom Coughlin. He is a coach who doesn't stand for ******** and premadonnas. He's got to two championship games in his career, and his teams have made the playoffs more than they haven't. He also took the author of this book and turned his career around from being an extremely mediocre, borderline starting RB to putting together three of the greatest consecutive years all time. You can look it up Tiki's last three years rival any three consecutive years any RB has ever put up, including Jim Brown. Not only does Tiki rip his coach, but he rips his QB. Who also he had more success playing with than any other QB. Tiki is soft bottomline. I've lost all respect for him and if he ever came to Giants Stadium again I would boo the **** out of him. And Strahan is quickly gaining on Tiki to fall in the same status in my opinion.

The biggest thing about Coughlin is the team never quits on him. Despite all the hatred Tiki has for Coughlin, he played tough almost to spite him. His greatest game as a Giant was the last game of the season last year when they needed it the most after losing many in a row and being plagued by injuries all season. Tiki may have loved Jim Fassell because he ran a soft camp and soft practices and didn't scream and yell as much as Coughlin, but the whole team (Tiki included) packed it up and quit on Fassell his last year.

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 08:10 AM
doesnt Tiki realize his 3 best years were under Coughlin, and it was Coughlin who turned Tiki from an average fumbling back to a pro bowl top 5 RB? Coughlin solved his fumbling problems, in return Tiki throws him, not just under a bus, but under the bus in the NEW YORK media... it's unbelievable

Addict
09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
both were wrong, but Tiki takes a cheap shot here.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
both were wrong, but Tiki takes a cheap shot here.

How was Coughlin wrong? For being hard on him?

Addict
09-04-2007, 08:27 AM
How was Coughlin wrong? For being hard on him?

yes. He should have realised Tiki is a sissy.

Number 10
09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
What Tiki fails to say is that without Coughlin, Tiki would still be a 3rd down back.

And he says the wear and tear caused him to retire but then says if Coughlin were gone he'd still be a Giant. He should have caught that contradiction.

I have a bad feeling we're gonna have to put up with this all season.

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
What Tiki fails to say is that without Coughlin, Tiki would still be a 3rd down back.

And he says the wear and tear caused him to retire but then says if Coughlin were gone he'd still be a Giant. He should have caught that contradiction.

I have a bad feeling we're gonna have to put up with this all season.

my point exactly.

and just imagine if he does the dallass opener... uggh. luckily the players backed Eli when he fought back, so i think the players wont be too distracted...

Ewing
09-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Whats there not to support about Tom Coughlin. He is a coach who doesn't stand for ******** and premadonnas. He's got to two championship games in his career, and his teams have made the playoffs more than they haven't. He also took the author of this book and turned his career around from being an extremely mediocre, borderline starting RB to putting together three of the greatest consecutive years all time. You can look it up Tiki's last three years rival any three consecutive years any RB has ever put up, including Jim Brown. Not only does Tiki rip his coach, but he rips his QB. Who also he had more success playing with than any other QB. Tiki is soft bottomline. I've lost all respect for him and if he ever came to Giants Stadium again I would boo the **** out of him. And Strahan is quickly gaining on Tiki to fall in the same status in my opinion.

The biggest thing about Coughlin is the team never quits on him. Despite all the hatred Tiki has for Coughlin, he played tough almost to spite him. His greatest game as a Giant was the last game of the season last year when they needed it the most after losing many in a row and being plagued by injuries all season. Tiki may have loved Jim Fassell because he ran a soft camp and soft practices and didn't scream and yell as much as Coughlin, but the whole team (Tiki included) packed it up and quit on Fassell his last year.

Well for starters he's ruining the development of Eli Manning. He once fined Strahan for showing up EARLY for practice. Yeah and what has happened when the Giants have made the playoffs with him as their coach? 23-0 at home in 2006 and a close loss last year. Being shutout at home in the playoffs is not a sign of a great coach. Yes, Barber even mentions in the book that Coughlin helped him as a player. Who else did Barber play with in his career? Kerry Collins? I'd rather have a dog be my quarterback than Kerry Collins so of course Eli is better. Lost all respect? Why? Because he ripped a coach who should have been fired?

Never quits on him? I'm pretty sure that game against the Titans they quit on him.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Well for starters he's ruining the development of Eli Manning. He once fined Strahan for showing up EARLY for practice. Yeah and what has happened when the Giants have made the playoffs with him as their coach? 23-0 at home in 2006 and a close loss last year. Being shutout at home in the playoffs is not a sign of a great coach. Yes, Barber even mentions in the book that Coughlin helped him as a player. Who else did Barber play with in his career? Kerry Collins? I'd rather have a dog be my quarterback than Kerry Collins so of course Eli is better. Lost all respect? Why? Because he ripped a coach who should have been fired?

Never quits on him? I'm pretty sure that game against the Titans they quit on him.

Coughlin is not ruining the development of Eli Manning. Despite everyone's hatred for Eli, over the past two seasons he is 5th in yards and TDs among all NFL QBs. Yeah he has thrown his share of picks, but so did Big Ben last year, did Cowher ruin his development? His progression is slower than most Giants fan probably wanted, but he has progressed each season. And if this preseason is any sign (sometimes it can be and other times not), we might see the biggest progression this season. As for losing at home 23-0, of course that is a bad loss. But this team still has made the playoffs two years in a row under him and last year took an Eagles team, in Philly, right to the wire.

Also, just because a team comes back against another, doesn't mean the players quit. When your team quits on a coach, you will know. That certainly wasn't quitting. If Kiwinuka makes that sack, or if Frank Walker doesn't make that late hit, or if Eli doesn't throw that late pick, the Giants win that game. Players quitting wasn't the reason we lost. There is a difference between playing poorly and quitting on a coach.

yodabear
09-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if he just put this stuff in here to get some dough in the fo.

Average OT LB
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM

I'd say Burress is probably more of a reason then Coughlin why Eli doesnt throw for less INT and more yards because hes not a polished WR. But then again, hes probably a good reason why ELi has so many tds.

The right place to stand here is on Couglin's side. Tiki walked away from football because of the same things that others have pushed through and cited that fans cant understand. The guy is getting all the criticism he deserves, and when your former team of less than a year ago dont come out and agree with you theres probably a reason...

Hes torched Eli, blamed his head coach, sharply responds to critics and fans, as well as even calling out his Management for not givign him enough money...

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
My biggest wish would be for Brandon Jacobs to have a huge first half Sunday night so I can see Tiki's face at halftime when he realizes this team doesn't need him anymore.

Splat
09-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Blah Blah Blah we know Tiki you don't like Eli or Coughlin just move on.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Blah Blah Blah we know Tiki you don't like Eli or Coughlin just move on.

Problem is he won't, because he is trying to make money by selling a book. He wants as much publicity as possible.

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2007, 09:29 AM
This is crazy, I cant imagine Emmitt Smith talking about dallas like this, or Barry talking about the Lions, some things, whether everything was picture perfect for Tiki or not, you just learn to man up and keep your mouth shut...

he sounds like a female, running and telling everything and talking down on people and coaches he was just playing with...Im sure he pissed people off while he was there too, but this just isnt classy at all...He's pretty much blowing all his chances to come back to this stadium at some point and receive any type of accolades or awards

Splat
09-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Problem is he won't, because he is trying to make money by selling a book. He wants as much publicity as possible.

It is not like he needs money which makes it even lower I lose more and more respect for him each time he pops off at the mouth.

Addict
09-04-2007, 09:46 AM

Absolutely, this is gonna be the story he tells for a long time.

I'm trying to think of a good Cornholio reference, something like Coughnolio needing Tiki for his bunghole, but I can't get it to be funny...

bearsfan_51
09-04-2007, 10:23 AM
To say that Coughlin is ruining the development of Eli is to assume that Eli was going to develop without Coughlin, which is a faulty and unsubstantiated claim. It's very likely Eli would be a mediocre QB no matter who the coach is.

Addict
09-04-2007, 10:25 AM
To say that Coughlin is ruining the development of Eli is to assume that Eli was going to develop without Coughlin, which is a faulty and unsubstantiated claim. It's very likely Eli would be a mediocre QB no matter who the coach is.

duh, he never had a coach not named Coughlin, so of course it's unsubstantiated, it's called SPECULATION

DraftMichaelHuff
09-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Tiki Barber has, and always will be my most hated NFL player/commentator. He annoys the crap out of me. Full credit to Tom Coughlin for trying to keep Tiki in check.

I love how he winges about muscle straining workouts and the blood, the sweat, and tears it takes to walk out onto the field. I wonder how hed like the blood sweat and tears of being a guy who doesnt earn millions and millions of dollars per year, a guy who works long hours just to get by. Sorry mate im sure that guy would pick muscle strains and the million $ paychecks anyday.

I have no problem with athletes earning the money they do, they work very hard to get where they are. I do have a problem with them winging about their lives when they get there, they earn more over 4 years that normal people do in their entire life, they shouldnt really complain. My problem just gets worse when the person doing the winging is Tiki Barber

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
i had heard this before he wrote it into his book, so this doesn't really come as a suprise. the part that bugs me is that he is willing to throw anyone under the bus just to get some extra dough and attention to his book. he wants to make it sound like he was treated completely unfairly and that everyone owes him, but he owes no one nothing.....and how often does that happen? everyone has been helped by others, but how quickly we forget. it is true that he says Coughlin helped his fumbling problem, what he doesn't mention at least here is that without that help he would never have been the player he was. how many coaches would say "lets put the guy who fumbles out on the field for 30+ carries a game"?.

He was a heck of a player, no doubt. but today he is nothing but a self promotor who is looking to make as much cash as possible. i would much rather watch Keyshawn because at least when he says something negative, it doesn't always come back to how it affects him and how he was wronged. he says it because he views it as true, regardless of personal gain.

Tiki has to realize he is old news and sail into the sunset before people start to attack him back, its not that hard.........

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 11:00 AM
it's interesting to me that new york fans are rabidly defending a coach who has never won them a playoff game and is barely over .500 (93-83) lifetime and who has never even MADE a super bowl. i mean, maybe it's just hatred for tiki, but it's difficult to even seriously classify coughlin as anything mroe than a mediocre coach.

Above average coach. There are tons and I mean tons of coaches who never even accomplish what he has. Despite what everyone says about Eli, we've had a top passing and rushing attack these past two years. Our defense lets us down along with turnovers from Manning.

TimD
09-04-2007, 11:05 AM
I used to dislike Tiki, but now I'm starting to respect him. He's probably going to get himself taken off the air and he's going to destroy the Giants while he's at it. Preach on, Mr. Barber!

i used to like Tike, but no i'm starting to hate him... stop ripping on your former team to help your second career.... you look like a whiny *****

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 11:10 AM
there doesn't appear to be anything in his record to indicate that he's above average. outside of taking an over-achieving jacksonville to the AFCC, he's done absolutely nothing in his career to lead me to believe 15 other coaches in the NFL couldn't have done the exact same things. maybe it's just that he's that much better than fassel was. who was much better than reeves was. but that's neither here nor there. it's difficult for me to believe that "tons and tons" of other coaches couldn't have seen what seemed like a fairly obvious fumbling problem in tiki and corrected it. i think tiki's classless, but i don't know that he owes coughlin anything.

Coughlin solved his fumbling problem. Before Coughlin came to NY, Tiki was an above average RB who had a big fumbling problem. It's not a coincidence Tiki had his best 3 years of his career under Coughlin.

Coughlin has made the playoffs back to back years, not many coaches can say that. I'm not calling Coughlin a great or even really a good coach, but he's above average, and Tiki owes him A LOT.

TitanAddict
09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Tiki acts like he's Barry Sanders or something. Although I would probably hate football, too, if Tom Coughlin were my coach. Not to mention having to listen to Michael Strahan in the locker room ... and Jeremy Shockey ... and Jay Feeley ... Yeah, I kind of feel sorry for Tiki ...

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Tiki acts like he's Barry Sanders or something. Although I would probably hate football, too, if Tom Coughlin were my coach. Not to mention having to listen to Michael Strahan in the locker room ... and Jeremy Shockey ... and Jay Feeley ... Yeah, I kind of feel sorry for Tiki ...

you also think the Titans will win their division...

TitanAddict
09-04-2007, 11:32 AM
you also think the Titans will win their division...

Yes, Scottyboy. Good observation.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
a million other people could've solved that fumbling problem. again, i don't see why coughlin desderves credit just because dan reeves and jim fassel weren't smart enough to figure it out.

Coughlin did a little more than just solving the fumbling problem. He also elevated Tiki Barber into a top RB in the league when before he came he was almost a borderline starter. Tiki exploded these last three years when he was around the age of 30. That is unheard of for a RB.

Addict
09-04-2007, 11:43 AM
2002, tiki was 4th overall in yards from scrimmage and carried the ball well (26/115/1). in 2005, post coughlin "re-inventing" him, he carred the ball only 13 times for 45 yards in a shut out loss.

further, by the time coughlin got there, tiki had only once carried the ball over 250 times. it's difficult to be a stud running back when the offense never gives you the ball. even more, it's not difficult to believe he'd have gas left at 30 with virtually no tread on his tires.

what ever happened to demanding a trade or a holdout? why retire if you've still got left and dislike your coach.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
2002, tiki was 4th overall in yards from scrimmage and carried the ball well (26/115/1). in 2005, post coughlin "re-inventing" him, he carred the ball only 13 times for 45 yards in a shut out loss.

further, by the time coughlin got there, tiki had only once carried the ball over 250 times. it's difficult to be a stud running back when the offense never gives you the ball. even more, it's not difficult to believe he'd have gas left at 30 with virtually no tread on his tires.

His yards per carry went up by over a half a yard. Which is an extremely significant amount over the amount of carries we're talking about. Anyone who watched Tiki over his whole career, can tell you he was a totally different RB once Tom got here.

princefielder28
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Coughlin has to be the coach like players must least like to play for in the NFL........he's old-school, but overbaord with it

Ward
09-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Right or wrong, I hope this continues all season so the Giants can't ever totally focus on football. The East is between Philly and Dallas at this point.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Right or wrong, I hope this continues all season so the Giants can't ever totally focus on football. The East is between Philly and Dallas at this point.

The Giants don't seemed to be bothered by it at all. It's really us fans that are pissed off about it the most.

umphrey
09-04-2007, 12:27 PM
If he doesn't want to work hard then he did the right thing by retired, but it's stupid to speak down about a coach for pushing his players to get better. Not to say there weren't other factors, but from reading the first post I got the impression that Tiki just didn't think the workouts were worth the crazy amount of money he got, and blasted his head coach for not giving him slack.

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 12:29 PM

the players are completly ignoring tiki now. They're sick of him, and some glad he left. He was a cancer in that locker room, and thought himself so much higher above everyone, and wasnt shy about it. He still hates Coughlin, while the other players, some of which still don't like him, but respect him and play hard for him.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't sleep on the Skins. They've got some holes they need to figure out, but so do the Eagles and Cowboys (albeit not as many).

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't sleep on the Skins. They've got some holes they need to figure out, but so do the Eagles and Cowboys (albeit not as many).

plus, history says that Santana is going to have a big year :)

Namy
09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
It's really unfortunate that a talent like Tiki has become such a nuisance already. Although Coughlin may not be that great of a coach, or even though Tiki may not have liked some of his teammates, to rip them apart in promotion of his new book is completely classless and reflects poor character.

To me, I always did suspect that Tiki felt he was more sophisticated than his surrounding football players, but he's not and his character makes me sick. To put it short, he's really just an outspoken, charismatic cry baby. I hope his book does not do well as a result.

Addict
09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
It's really unfortunate that a talent like Tiki has become such a nuisance already. Although Coughlin may not be that great of a coach, or even though Tiki may not have liked some of his teammates, to rip them apart in promotion of his new book is completely classless and reflects poor character.

To me, I always did suspect that Tiki felt he was more sophisticated than his surrounding football players, but he's not and his character makes me sick. To put it short, he's really just an outspoken, charismatic cry baby. I hope his book does not do well as a result.

Makes you wonder how crappy that book is, if he needs statements like those to promote it.

ShutDwn
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Coughlin turned Tiki from a fumbling idiot to an MVP canidate by teaching him how to hold a damn football. It doesn't matter how easy it was, nobody else tried to fix it.

Tiki is pathetic.

bigbluedefense
09-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Do I even need to say anything?

scottyboy
09-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Do I even need to say anything?

please dont BBD. save your energy for the Dallas game and I'll save my popcorn :D

JF4
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I've really lost some respect for Tiki. He always seemed like a class-act when he was playing but to go and do something like bash his ex-coach and QB right before the start of the regular season is pretty classless. It is creating unneccesary turmoil in the world of the NYG's players and staff who already have enough problems to deal with.

He says that Tom Coughlin took all the fun away from football. Well if that was true why didn't he speak up before. Although he did question some of Coughlin's coaching decisions, he never went to the extent he has now. If there was that big of a problem then there would be nothing wrong with asking for a trade to get out of a situation you are uncomfortable in. I'm sure his teamates and fans would have understood if he explained his situation. If he managed to keep his feelings quiet about his time under TC all that time he should have been smart enough to hold it off at least untill TC gets fired. I'm sure alot of the Giants younger players admire Tiki because of the way he handled himself during his career and if he's saying that their coach sucks, then he's only hurting those younger players. Like him or not but if players don't beleive in the philosophies the coach has in place than the team ain't going anywhere.

You do also have to look at it from Tiki's POV. Maybe TC was that bad, maybe Tiki thinks he's doing the team a favour by saying these things. Maybe he's trying to free his teamates from the TC nazi regime.

It could be possible that the coach is actually that bad, but I kind of doubt it. This is the NFL, where only the best of the best play and coach. Coughlin must have done something right to become an NFL head coach.

Tiki should have definately held of those comments for atleast a few more months, not right when the team is gearing up for a big year.

zoinks
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
FWIW....on his weekly show on Sirius Radio ("The Barber Shop"), Tiki Barber unequivocally denied making any of the statements that have been attributed to him, and says there is absolutely nothing in the book that suggests this.

He had some very choice words for the author of the article.....openly accusing him of yellow journalism, and basically saying the guy was a no-talent hack who was simply trying to exploit Tiki's name in order to make a name for himself.

The book was originally set to be released on Sept 18th; in the wake of this story, the book will now be released this Thursday, in order to debunk these rumors of what the book supposedly contains.

JF4
09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
FWIW....on his weekly show on Sirius Radio ("The Barber Shop"), Tiki Barber unequivocally denied making any of the statements that have been attributed to him, and says there is absolutely nothing in the book that suggests this.

He had some very choice words for the author of the article.....openly accusing him of yellow journalism, and basically saying the guy was a no-talent hack who was simply trying to exploit Tiki's name in order to make a name for himself.

The book was originally set to be released on Sept 18th; in the wake of this story, the book will now be released this Thursday, in order to debunk these rumors of what the book supposedly contains.

WTF? If he denied it, why is everyone still reporting it?

****** Media

zoinks
09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
WTF? If he denied it, why is everyone still reporting it?

****** Media

Exactly.

Tiki also had some choice words for the media outlets (he specifically named ESPN) who take stories like this and run with them, without so much as making a phone call to verify the truthfulness of the story.

Jughead10
09-05-2007, 07:16 AM
by contrast, tiki turned tom coughlin from a coordinator at best to a coach with a bizarrely stable job.

but you're right, coughlin is really one of the best coaches in the nfl. he's the only one who could see why tiki was fumbling. :rolleyes:

Tiki turned Coughlin from a coordinator at best? Tiki was still in college the first time Tom made it to the AFC Championship game. How did Tiki turn Coughlin into a coach with a bizarrely stable job? Because he performed insanely better than he had in his entire career in the three seasons Tom was his coach?

Jughead10
09-05-2007, 08:24 AM
had tiki turned from a 1000 yard runner (which he was pre-coughlin) into a 600 yard back, the giants would've lost more games and coughlin would've been fired years ago.

one would assume the point being made here isn't lost (but if it is, the point is that the argument that "tom coughlin is a great coach because he stopped the fumbling" is moronic).

The fact is he did a lot more than just stopping the fumbling.

Jughead10
09-05-2007, 08:34 AM
message edited above.

but yeah, he also failed to win a playoff game. and is one game over .500 in new york. certainly hall of fame material.

He's only been here for three years. The first year I didn't expect him to do anything with the team we had back then. No one is saying Hall of Fame material, but he is 19-13 the last two years with two playoff appearances. Either way the point of the thread is that Tiki owes him a whole lot. Maybe some other coach could have done what Tom did for Tiki, and there are some out there that probably would have. But either way Tom was the one who did it and Tiki should be grateful and keep his mouth shut.

Jughead10
09-05-2007, 09:06 AM
What was your original question then?

Jughead10
09-05-2007, 09:38 AM
why certain people are defending tom coughlin to the extent that they are. it's one thing to say tiki's a worthless pile for attacking a guy who helped him. it's another to suggest that tom coughlin is a good coach or that tiki is necessarily wrong (factually).

Tiki is wrong factually, its there in the numbers and from what we have seen on the field and in camp. And Tom is good coach. Good but not great or excellent.