PDA

View Full Version : Clausen to start next game vs Penn State

bernbabybern820
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7189284?MSNHPHMA

SuperKevin
09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Bad call on Charlie Weis' part. I'm going to laugh when he sucks it up over the next 3 games and all the Notre Dame fans start to turn on him begging Weis to recruit another QB

iowatreat54
09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Bring him in to start vs. Navy, Air force, duke, stanford so he can go 4-0 as a starter and all ND fans think he's jesus

Vikes99ej
09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Wow. This surprises me. Seems pretty premature.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Bad call on Charlie Weis' part. I'm going to laugh when he sucks it up over the next 3 games and all the Notre Dame fans start to turn on him begging Weis to recruit another QB

He was clearly the best QB on the field last Saturday. Whether they win or lose on Saturday he still gives them the best chance. Also Charlie already has another big QB recruit coming in next year. I don't see how this is a bad move. Jimmy is probably only staying for three years anyway, time to get his work in for next year.

Vikes99ej
09-04-2007, 12:16 PM
He was clearly the best QB on the field last Saturday. Whether they win or lose on Saturday he still gives them the best chance. Also Charlie already has another big QB recruit coming in next year. I don't see how this is a bad move. Jimmy is probably only staying for three years anyway, time to get his work in for next year.

Can someone explain to me why Weis would recruit a 5-star QB two years in a row? Does he plan on red-shirting Crist next year?

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Can someone explain to me why Weis would recruit a 5-star QB two years in a row? Does he plan on red-shirting Crist next year?

Why does USC bring in a 5 star RB every year? Its a good problem to have. Crist will probably sit for two years (one being a redshirt), then play if he progresses like Weis would like. He'd then have three year to be eligible if he'd like.

IrishBrowns
09-04-2007, 12:31 PM

are you actually questioning Weis for getting 2 great QB's? haha...anyways....Clausen gives ND the best chance to win....He may struggle some, but that will only make him better...... In the long run it's the best chance....I couldn't see Demtruis Jones or Evan Sharpley leading us to a win against Penn State.

billythekidthompson
09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Weis said in his press conference that Clausen was the leader in the QB race coming out of spring practice, but it was the elbow surgery that set him back in the competition in the fall. And he apparently only became fully cleared late last week. From his comments, I assume that if not for the surgery, Clausen would have probably been the opening day starter.

LonghornsLegend
09-04-2007, 12:48 PM
So I guess clausen can throw more then 15 yards now...well I like the decision, if your going to suck, why not suck with the future, if clausen really is the future and that great, all this experience will help him next yr and the yr after, i mean if your going to get beat down why not?

yes penn st will thrash them, and it would happen regardless of who they played, they need a spark, so maybe they get it with clausen

Iamcanadian
09-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Bring him in to start vs. Navy, Air force, duke, stanford so he can go 4-0 as a starter and all ND fans think he's jesus

That's the plan for sure. Start him when he has a chance at victory to build up his confidence.

moc182
09-04-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't see how anyone can argue against it, he's clearly the future of the program, and since the team isn't going anywhere this season its better to get him in as soon as possible. When you combine that with the fact that he's already the best QB on the roster, it seems like a no brainer to me.

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't see how anyone can argue against it, he's clearly the future of the program, and since the team isn't going anywhere this season its better to get him in as soon as possible. When you combine that with the fact that he's already the best QB on the roster, it seems like a no brainer to me.

As a Notre Dame fan I couldnt agree with you more.

NittanyLion2k7
09-04-2007, 01:54 PM
If they thought that whacking at GTech was bad, they are in for a huge surprise. Penn State will manhandle them. Even a more hostile environment, a better, faster and more disciplined defense and the offense is better and has more talent at the skill positions.

If ND can score a field goal this game, that would be a victory for Weis and Co.

In my call, a very bad week to start Clausen... but he does give them teh best chance...

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 02:06 PM
If they thought that whacking at GTech was bad, they are in for a huge surprise. Penn State will manhandle them. Even a more hostile environment, a better, faster and more disciplined defense and the offense is better and has more talent at the skill positions.

If ND can score a field goal this game, that would be a victory for Weis and Co.

In my call, a very bad week to start Clausen... but he does give them teh best chance...

The game was played in South Bend on Saturday vs G Tech. Penn State is a hostile environment, but if Notre Dame can come out and score early against them it will shut up the crowd. I personally dont think Notre Dame has a shot, and either does Vegas tagging them as a 16 point dog. But there would be nothing else I would like to see more then Notre Dame beating Penn State. I hate Penn State with a passion. Oh well atleast we are 0-1 and have no expectations for a big time bowl. Last year Penn State went into Notre Dame ranked, and got their A$$ handed to them. We have nothing to lose this week. Nothing.

Jughead10
09-04-2007, 02:07 PM
The game was played in South Bend on Saturday vs G Tech. Penn State is a hostile environment, but if Notre Dame can come out and score early against them it will shut up the crowd. I personally dont think Notre Dame has a shot, and either does Vegas tagging them as a 16 point dog. But there would be nothing else I would like to see more then Notre Dame beating Penn State. I hate Penn State with a passion. Oh well atleast we are 0-1 and have no expectations for a big time bowl. Last year Penn State went into Notre Dame ranked, and got their A$$ handed to them. We have nothing to lose this week. Nothing.

ND was +17.5 last time I checked.

NittanyLion2k7
09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
You obviously dont' know Penn STate. Penn State isn't a crowd like the Big House. We never get quiet, regardless of which quarter and what score. When you get down to the endzone, that's probably the loudest stadium in the country. Ask Troy Smith and Co. why they lost in 2005 and I bet you one of the reasons was "The Crowd Noise."

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 02:10 PM
ND was +17.5 last time I checked.

It will be 3 touchdowns by kickoff.

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
You obviously dont' know Penn STate. Penn State isn't a crowd like the Big House. We never get quiet, regardless of which quarter and what score. When you get down to the endzone, that's probably the loudest stadium in the country. Ask Troy Smith and Co. why they lost in 2005 and I bet you one of the reasons was "The Crowd Noise."

Well maybe I should call Florida International and ask them how loud it was. Or better yet ill wait until the 08 season and ask Coastal Carolina or Arkansas State. Or Ill just wait until 09 and ask Eastern Michigan. Nah ill just wait until 2010 and ask Youngstown State.

iowatreat54
09-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Well maybe I should call Florida International and ask them how loud it was. Or better yet ill wait until the 08 season and ask Coastal Carolina or Arkansas State. Or Ill just wait until 09 and ask Eastern Michigan. Nah ill just wait until 2010 and ask Youngstown State.

hahaha best argument I have ever heard against someone's crowd...PSU is arguably the best/most faithful crowd in all of football so to say it will be a hostile environment is an understatement...even if ND finds a way to score on their very first drive, there is no way it "shuts up the crowd" for more than 5 mins during the TV timeout...I think Clausen will have around 100-120 yards, 3-4 INTs and maybe a TD if he stays in long enough i.e. trash time at the end of the game

NDfootball
09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
PSU is crazy no matter who it is and what the score is. This season for ND will be like Quinn's first season as the starter. I would say this years roster has more talent than that '03 team, but we're going to get mauled by all the good teams on the schedule due to the incredible amount of inexperience.

If Jimmy is healthy then I support Weis' move 100%, starting the other guys is just a waste of time. Saving him for the cupcake games doesn't help him adjust to the speed and environment of playing the top tier teams.

RyanLeaf#1
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
hahaha best argument I have ever heard against someone's crowd...PSU is arguably the best/most faithful crowd in all of football so to say it will be a hostile environment is an understatement...even if ND finds a way to score on their very first drive, there is no way it "shuts up the crowd" for more than 5 mins during the TV timeout...I think Clausen will have around 100-120 yards, 3-4 INTs and maybe a TD if he stays in long enough i.e. trash time at the end of the game

I just cant stand that easy out of conference schedule they play year in and year out.

energizerbunny
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
ND isn't gonna have another good season for a couple more years,that defence doesn't have the talent and the oline needs to mature. They minds well get Clausen ready for when all of the fruits of Weis recruiting begin to prosper.

That and, Jones and Sharpley looked absolutely horrendous vs GT. It must have felt like GT had 15 players on the field by some of the reads they made in that game.

09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
y did it take so long for the inevitable to happen in clausen starting? i dont think that elbow is a good enough excuse

energizerbunny
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
had to atleast give the kids a shot who have been there for 3,4 years.

HoopsDemon12
09-04-2007, 07:33 PM

ya because that penn defence will eat him for breakfest and knock the living jebus out of him

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I knew that Jones wouldnt be seeing any time at QB.I dont know if I would have Clausen starting this game but Sharpley does telegraph too much.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I knew that Jones wouldnt be seeing any time at QB.I dont know if I would have Clausen starting this game but Sharpley does telegraph too much.

Jones did see playing time. He started the season and F'd us.

JPLUFF
09-05-2007, 09:08 AM
had to atleast give the kids a shot who have been there for 3,4 years.

I think Clausen's older than they all are

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Jones did see playing time. He started the season and F'd us.
I know he did I was talking about the PSU game.

NittanyLion2k7
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Someone shoudl change the name of the topic : "Clausen to be irreversibly damages at Penn State"

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Someone shoudl change the name of the topic : "Clausen to be irreversibly damages at Penn State"

Clausen has nothing to lose. They played one game without him and didnt score a touchdown. The offense is going to look better then it did last week. I will guarantee that.

dabears10
09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Clausen has nothing to lose. They played one game without him and didnt score a touchdown. The offense is going to look better then it did last week. I will guarantee that.

So does that mean positive rushing yards? Cause i would love to see that.

Honestly I would be quite happy to stay within Two Td's.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
So does that mean positive rushing yards? Cause i would love to see that.

Honestly I would be quite happy to stay within Two Td's.

Well if your a betting man and they stay within 2 tds you got yourself a winner.