PDA

View Full Version : etk's 1st Mock on NFLDC

etk
09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Rules

1. Don't mock my mock. If you have any comments/concerns with any of the picks feel free to post constructive criticism. For those of you who need simple english, don't just say "bad pick, we don't need him". That will get you nowhere here. Conversely, a good convincing argument could lead to a change in picks and positive rep.

2. Don't comment on your team's standings. I predicted the records myself and it took longer than expected. It's all opinion but I'm more of a draft expert than an NFL prognosticator so criticizing your team's standing just makes you look like a fool.

3. Don't argue with me about which underclassmen are and aren't in my mock.
I know so-and-so is a beast and yada-yada, I don't know any of the prospects personally so I can't tell you if they declare or not. I put in the ones that I needed :)

4. Enjoy! Feel free to ask me to explain any of the picks or anything else for that matter.

Mock

1. Tennessee: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
2. Dallas (via CLE): Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (u)
3. Oakland: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
4. Minnesota: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
5. Miami: Sam Baker, OT, USC
6. Kansas City: Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky
7. Tampa Bay: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (u)
8. New York Giants: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (u)
9. Atlanta: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
10. Buffalo: Dan Connor, OLB, PSU
11. New York Jets: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
12. Green Bay: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech (u)
13. Jacksonville: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii
14. New England: Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn
15. Seattle: Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
16. Baltimore: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
17. Detroit: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
18. Houston: DeSean Jackson, WR, California (u)
19. Arizona: Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
20. Washington: Adarius Bowman, WR, OKSU
21. Dallas:Early Doucet, WR, LSU
22. Pittsburgh: Gosder Cherilus, OT, BC
23. New Orleans: Frank Okam, DT, Texas
24. Carolina: Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee
25. Chicago: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
26. Cincinnati: Tommy Blake, DE, TCU
27. Philadelphia: Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
28. San Francisco: Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
29. Denver: Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan
30. San Diego: Phillip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech
31. St. Louis: Louis Holmes, DE, Arizona
32. New England: Jasper Brinkley, LB, South Carolina

4 USC prospects go in the first round, but the scary thing is how several more could realistically make it too. I left a lot of great prospects out of this mock so it looks like it's gonna be a strong draft. I'm excited!

neko4
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
excellent pack pick

etk
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
excellent pack pick

Awesome. I really liked the pick because he's such a great tackler and so physical in man coverage. He would benefit from developing under Al Harris. I know some people will question the pick because there are other Seniors and even underclassmen ranked ahead of him right now, but he's the best fit for GB and he's underrated for sure.

neko4
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Awesome. I really liked the pick because he's such a great tackler and so physical in man coverage. He would benefit from developing under Al Harris. I know some people will question the pick because there are other Seniors and even underclassmen ranked ahead of him right now, but he's the best fit for GB and he's underrated for sure.
He would also be rejoined w/ former VTech S Aaron Rouse, another plus for chemistry. I still like Cason better, but i'd be happy Flowers

etk
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
He would also be rejoined w/ former VTech S Aaron Rouse, another plus for chemistry. I still like Cason better, but i'd be happy Flowers

Cason was my original pick but I changed it :P

America
09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm not a fan of going WR for the Ravens, but if you had too, a big physical receiver would be a better choice cause the Ravens already have 3 guys with pretty good speed and they don't throw downfield much so a reliable big target would be better.

HoopsDemon12
09-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I like the PSU reunion there with Conner... i think its to early to take any of the corner backs... i could see jenkins go to us though simply becasue we seem to love OSU corners... a recevier is anotehr possibitly ever offensive or defensvie line... good pick though

etk
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm not a fan of going WR for the Ravens, but if you had too, a big physical receiver would be a better choice cause the Ravens already have 3 guys with pretty good speed and they don't throw downfield much so a reliable big target would be better.

I see Doucet as the complete package, not just a deep threat. You have your big receiver already in Clarence Moore ;). If WR isn't what you're looking for then what other positions fit the Ravens?

BuckNaked
09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
I'd prefer Andre Woodson to Brohm.

etk
09-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I'd prefer Andre Woodson to Brohm.

I see your sig. We'll have to wait for the combine to see who's better.

KILLERSANTA
09-04-2007, 09:41 PM
First off Dmac isn't coming out
Dallas will be picking 32
Bad picks

J/k Great Cowboys draft.....

etk
09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
First off Dmac isn't coming out
Dallas will be picking 32
Bad picks

J/k Great Cowboys draft.....

Can you say anything normally?

PalmerToCJ
09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I freely admit I don't know much about the players right now but DE is definetely a possibility for the Bengals so I'm not complaining.

Vikes99ej
09-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Solid Vikings pick.

scar988
09-04-2007, 10:16 PM
9. Atlanta: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

Horrible pick. here's why:
Brennan isn't a top 32 pick let alone a top 10. His talent level isn't that high and hs age will hurt his pro stock (He's 25.). Also, if Woodson and Brohm are gone we will likely go with our 2nd biggest need: LT. Barry Richardson is the BPA here for us and would be our pick as our new franchise LT to make our left side a good young power combo of Blalock and Richardson.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Good Raiders pick.The only other options I see there is Calais or Baker.

Windy
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
A+ for the Raiders. Glenn Dorsey would be huge to replace Sapp.

Mr. Stiller
09-04-2007, 10:29 PM
I like Fluellen but he's not a 1st rounder in my eyes..

We need a DE/OLB (Blake) or OT

Don Vito
09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I like Brinkley for NE but we also have SFs pick and the niners have indy's

Chucky
09-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I love Calais Campbell and is one of his biggest supporters out there, him and Gaines would be perfect for the Cover 2 scheme, as they could put huge pressure on the quarterback, hopefully the could get a UT in the second round

Flyboy
09-05-2007, 12:11 AM
You have the Saints picking too high.

Negative rep.

;)

Caddy
09-05-2007, 02:11 AM
I know you love Calais, and I can definitely see why, but in my opinion it would be a luxurious pick. Something we can't necessarily afford. If we suck that much again I think QB is going to be a high priority.

Gridiron
09-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Solid Jets pick... for now.

We'll see how well Kenyon Coleman plays.

etk
09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I like Fluellen but he's not a 1st rounder in my eyes..

We need a DE/OLB (Blake) or OT

I like him a lot. I thought about OLB but I figured the Steelers just drafted two early LBs. RT was an option too but Starks is decent enough to keep his job, or at least not have to compete with a 1st.

I like Brinkley for NE but we also have SFs pick and the niners have indy's

Thanks, I'll fix things later.

I know you love Calais, and I can definitely see why, but in my opinion it would be a luxurious pick. Something we can't necessarily afford. If we suck that much again I think QB is going to be a high priority.

There are plenty of great QBs available in the 2nd. With Dorsey gone Campbell made the most sense because we need to rush the passer from a 4-man front and having Campbell/Adams will do that. I think DE is the most valuable position in our defense and we can get away with Jovan Haye & others at UT.

etk
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
9. Atlanta: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii

Horrible pick. here's why:
Brennan isn't a top 32 pick let alone a top 10. His talent level isn't that high and hs age will hurt his pro stock (He's 25.). Also, if Woodson and Brohm are gone we will likely go with our 2nd biggest need: LT. Barry Richardson is the BPA here for us and would be our pick as our new franchise LT to make our left side a good young power combo of Blalock and Richardson.

I disagree about his talent level. I think he will prove himself as a talented prospect and not a system product. The age is definitely a concern too. Right now he's not a top 10 prospect but I see him rising similar to Phillip Rivers did.

Caddy
09-05-2007, 08:13 AM
There are plenty of great QBs available in the 2nd. With Dorsey gone Campbell made the most sense because we need to rush the passer from a 4-man front and having Campbell/Adams will do that. I think DE is the most valuable position in our defense and we can get away with Jovan Haye & others at UT.

I know this draft is shaping up to be deep at QB but until the season is over we won't really know how deep it is. I know getting pressure on the QB is important but I really struggle to believe that Jovan Haye is the long term answer and Greg Peterson is a question mark at this moment in time. I think if we struggle again the only logical step is to invest in a QB like Brohm. Calais would be great, but I don't believe he is a luxury we can afford. I would still like to obtain another defensive end to fill the void left by Spires/Carter but I think ultimately the 2nd or 3rd round might be a better option.

However, if one of the QB's on the roster shows some sort of promise for the future, then I would be all for Calais. Until somebody at QB shows me anything, I think it will be a top 3 priority and legitimate choice for round 1 selection.

etk
09-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I know this draft is shaping up to be deep at QB but until the season is over we won't really know how deep it is. I know getting pressure on the QB is important but I really struggle to believe that Jovan Haye is the long term answer and Greg Peterson is a question mark at this moment in time. I think if we struggle again the only logical step is to invest in a QB like Brohm. Calais would be great, but I don't believe he is a luxury we can afford. I would still like to obtain another defensive end to fill the void left by Spires/Carter but I think ultimately the 2nd or 3rd round might be a better option.

However, if one of the QB's on the roster shows some sort of promise for the future, then I would be all for Calais. Until somebody at QB shows me anything, I think it will be a top 3 priority and legitimate choice for round 1 selection.

JDB, Ainge, Ryan, Henne, B. Olson will all be available later, along with possible underclassmen. The way I see it on our DLine is that we need another high impact draft pick. Whether it be a DT or DE I don't really care, but we need more pass rushers to make the rest of our defense flow. Campbell was the BPA on DLine.

Sveen
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I like the Saints pick :)

Caddy
09-05-2007, 09:01 AM
JDB, Ainge, Ryan, Henne, B. Olson will all be available later, along with possible underclassmen. The way I see it on our DLine is that we need another high impact draft pick. Whether it be a DT or DE I don't really care, but we need more pass rushers to make the rest of our defense flow. Campbell was the BPA on DLine.

We never see eye to eye do we etk :)

princefielder28
09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I would prefer Cason at CB for Green Bay

Man_Of_Steel
09-05-2007, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=etk;596596]I like him a lot. I thought about OLB but I figured the Steelers just drafted two early LBs. RT was an option too but Starks is decent enough to keep his job, or at least not have to compete with a 1st.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

First Fluellen is a big reach there, dont like that pick at all. Secondly Starks has already lost his job to Willie Colon, a natural guard. Thats how bad the right side of the line is.

Mr. Stiller
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I like him a lot. I thought about OLB but I figured the Steelers just drafted two early LBs. RT was an option too but Starks is decent enough to keep his job, or at least not have to compete with a 1st.

Colon is a C/RG playing RT. He Beat Starks out. Our LT is going for his 3rd contract and has serious medical issues.

We drafted Timmons to Play Mack(RILB) and Woodley to play LOLB. We still need a Strongside premier rusher.

P-L
09-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Out of curiosity, when was the last time a team that ran the Cover-2 drafted a corner in the top half of the 1st Round? I cannot recall any Cover-2 team drafting a CB at all in the 1st Round since Indianapolis took Marlin Jackson 29th overall in 2005.

There is no doubt that the Lions have the worst secondary in the league, but with other holes to fill I think Marinelli would prefer to wait until the 2nd or 3rd Round to draft a corner. Although you don't have him coming out, I think Vernon Gholston would be a fantastic pick at that spot. The Lions need one impact DE to complete their defensive line. Another position of great need is LB. I think both Philip Wheeler and Jasper Brinkley could make very good MLB in the Tampa-2 that the Lions run.

Shiver
09-05-2007, 12:47 PM
JDB, Ainge, Ryan, Henne, B. Olson will all be available later, along with possible underclassmen. The way I see it on our O-Line is that we need another high impact draft pick.

All I had to do was edit the "D" to an "O" and it fits perfect with Atlanta's situation. I'd rather not have Brennan, I think with the dearth of solid Quarterbacks that will be available later on that Atlanta would have to prioritize replacing 37-year old Wayne Gandy. The only QB that I would want is Brohm.

etk
09-05-2007, 03:50 PM
fantastic denver pick. realistically, it wouldn't surprise me to see us go ILB, and push DJ back out to strongside linebacker. actually. the mroe i think about it, the less i feel like crable would play SLB all that well. and given that shanahan and every d-coordinator who's come through denver fails to understand that ian gold is awful, we seem unlikely to pick another WLB. so unless i'm wrong about crable, the pick may not be all that likely.

I considered that option but decided that it would be a fantasy pick if a MLB was taken and DJ was moved. Same situation as St. Louis. I agree about Gold but it appears that the coaches are content with him for the moment. If either of those situations were more clear I would've given a higher rated LB to the Broncos.

etk
09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Out of curiosity, when was the last time a team that ran the Cover-2 drafted a corner in the top half of the 1st Round? I cannot recall any Cover-2 team drafting a CB at all in the 1st Round since Indianapolis took Marlin Jackson 29th overall in 2005.

There is no doubt that the Lions have the worst secondary in the league, but with other holes to fill I think Marinelli would prefer to wait until the 2nd or 3rd Round to draft a corner. Although you don't have him coming out, I think Vernon Gholston would be a fantastic pick at that spot. The Lions need one impact DE to complete their defensive line. Another position of great need is LB. I think both Philip Wheeler and Jasper Brinkley could make very good MLB in the Tampa-2 that the Lions run.

Good points. CB definitely has to be a Day One pick, though.

Colon is a C/RG playing RT. He Beat Starks out. Our LT is going for his 3rd contract and has serious medical issues.

We drafted Timmons to Play Mack(RILB) and Woodley to play LOLB. We still need a Strongside premier rusher.

I'm aware of your LB situation. Another 1st round pick is not necessary. I wasn't aware of how awful RT is, so I'll change it.

All I had to do was edit the "D" to an "O" and it fits perfect with Atlanta's situation. I'd rather not have Brennan, I think with the dearth of solid Quarterbacks that will be available later on that Atlanta would have to prioritize replacing 37-year old Wayne Gandy. The only QB that I would want is Brohm.

Obviously I agree on your philosophy toward QBs this year, but it also depends on how mediocre Joey Harrington is. If you absolutely have to draft the best QB available to start right away then that should be the case. For now I'll change it because 2>1.

Draft King
09-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Ah, would suck if the draft fell out like that, just missing out on all the players I really want. Richardson would be fill a need here though and IMO it's either him or Okam.

T-RICH49
09-05-2007, 05:55 PM
terrible KC pick.I would rather draft Calais Campbell or Quentin Groves(Jared Allen is a FA and MCBrid is expect to be a DT) instead pf Woodson

jackalope
09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I like the Packers pick. In the first round I'd like to see us take a tight end or corner. We have 2 really good starters right now, but they're both aging, and we don't really have anyone behind them.

America
09-05-2007, 06:07 PM
I see Doucet as the complete package, not just a deep threat. You have your big receiver already in Clarence Moore ;). If WR isn't what you're looking for then what other positions fit the Ravens?

Clarence Moore is gone, but that's besides the point. I think Dline needs to be addressed. Bannan is a pretty decent backup, but Edwards still isn't great and is a FA after this year. Plus Pryce is getting up there in age as is Gregg. Some one like Chris Long or the DE from LSU, I'm blanking on him name right now. I wouldn't hate WR but I think there are better choices. CB is also one, cause it's not guaranteed that any of the younguns step up and Rolle and CMac are both 30+. Might be time to groom a new one.

Yung Flippa
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I like the Ravens pick, but doubt they would be that high.

etk
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
terrible KC pick.I would rather draft Calais Campbell or Quentin Groves(Jared Allen is a FA and MCBrid is expect to be a DT) instead pf Woodson

You are probably in the minority there. Croyle/Huard/Printers is not the answer at QB for the Chiefs, sorry. I'd take Jared Allen & Tamba Hali over that situation any day.

etk
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Clarence Moore is gone, but that's besides the point. I think Dline needs to be addressed. Bannan is a pretty decent backup, but Edwards still isn't great and is a FA after this year. Plus Pryce is getting up there in age as is Gregg. Some one like Chris Long or the DE from LSU, I'm blanking on him name right now. I wouldn't hate WR but I think there are better choices. CB is also one, cause it's not guaranteed that any of the younguns step up and Rolle and CMac are both 30+. Might be time to groom a new one.

I think DLine is their next biggest need, but not worth a first rounder as they wouldn't have much of an early impact. A DE would be a worthy selection in Round 2/3, as would CB. I'll switch the pick but only because Clayton & Williams is a good enough duo for the future.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-05-2007, 06:56 PM
You are probably in the minority there. Croyle/Huard/Printers is not the answer at QB for the Chiefs, sorry. I'd take Jared Allen & Tamba Hali over that situation any day.
While I agree with you Croyle still hasnt had his chance a bit early to be saying that.And Huard and Printers were never options for the future.

Green Bay Scat
09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
No Vandy Players?

neko4
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I would prefer Cason at CB for Green Bay
think about it, Rouse reunited with former Hokie
Either way im fine with it

etk
09-05-2007, 09:38 PM
No Vandy Players?

You are such a homer. I don't have Earl Bennett declaring because I don't need him in my mock. Goff just missed the cut, sorry. Chris Williams would be in my 2nd round.

fenikz
09-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Can LoJack play a 3-4 OLB, I honestly haven't watched him much, CB is another option for us there Hood & Green are starting now and depending on how they do CB could be a huge huge need for the Cards

Crow
09-06-2007, 05:51 AM
3. Oakland: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
Mahogany...

etk
09-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Can LoJack play a 3-4 OLB, I honestly haven't watched him much, CB is another option for us there Hood & Green are starting now and depending on how they do CB could be a huge huge need for the Cards

Cardinals run a 3-4? If so I'll change it.

Mahogany...

Huh?

TacticaLion
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Obvious time and effort spent putting this together... especially with the standings. The most realistic mocks wont have the same overall standings as the year prior.

Also like the LB pick. I don't watch enough college football to know about Rivers, but I'll be keeping an eye on him now.

Well done. +rep.

TitanHope
09-06-2007, 02:42 PM

We have absolutely 0 need at offensive tackle. We drafted Michael Roos in the early 2nd round of the '05 draft and he's played tremendously well at LT. We also drafted a gem in David Stewart on the second day of that draft, and he's played very well at RT. Stewart is the best mauler on the line. If we did draft Long, that means either him or Roos would play RT on the line. Obviously, there's no way on God's green earth that we're drafting a RT with the first overall pick, and I see no need to swap Roos to RT after he played so well this last season at the position, just to improve an already good offensive line. Plus, RT's are available in later rounds. Now, if Roos and Stewart play horrible, then Long could be plausable, but they've given no indication that they will. So, as Scarr would say, horrible pick. ;)

Besides, if the Titans earn the 1st overall pick, it probably means LenDale couldn't handle the running game. Darren McFadden would make the most sense, since no other player of moderate need is worthy of being the 1st pick.

etk
09-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Obvious time and effort spent putting this together... especially with the standings. The most realistic mocks wont have the same overall standings as the year prior.

Also like the LB pick. I don't watch enough college football to know about Rivers, but I'll be keeping an eye on him now.

Well done. +rep.

Thanks. Appreciation is always accepted with honor.

We have absolutely 0 need at offensive tackle. We drafted Michael Roos in the early 2nd round of the '05 draft and he's played tremendously well at LT. We also drafted a gem in David Stewart on the second day of that draft, and he's played very well at RT. Stewart is the best mauler on the line. If we did draft Long, that means either him or Roos would play RT on the line. Obviously, there's no way on God's green earth that we're drafting a RT with the first overall pick, and I see no need to swap Roos to RT after he played so well this last season at the position, just to improve an already good offensive line. Plus, RT's are available in later rounds. Now, if Roos and Stewart play horrible, then Long could be plausable, but they've given no indication that they will. So, as Scarr would say, horrible pick. ;)

Besides, if the Titans earn the 1st overall pick, it probably means LenDale couldn't handle the running game. Darren McFadden would make the most sense, since no other player of moderate need is worthy of being the 1st pick.

1) I'm not sold on either of those offensive tackles. I agree it's not a need that jumps out tremendously but it's still a position that could use upgrading with talent available.
2) McFadden was given strong consideration, but I thought Chris Henry deserves a chance to be the feature & future back. Adding a dominant run blocker like Long who has solid potential in pass protection was the best move. It gives Henry (and White) a greater chance to be effective in helping the Titans be a dominant ball control offense. I know Norm Chow doesn't favor that kind of offense but Vince Young will never be an air-it-out QB.
3) Their record was reflective toward my feelings about Vince Young and his receivers/weapons. The offense will make a ton of mistakes and losing a defensive playmaker like Pacman is big too.

TitanHope
09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
1) I'm not sold on either of those offensive tackles. I agree it's not a need that jumps out tremendously but it's still a position that could use upgrading with talent available.

Not sold? That's a horrendous reason. What exactly aren't you sold on? The fact that they're young? That they weren't select in the first round? That they don't have any pro-bowls to their names? Roos is a two year starter, and Stewart started this year and played excellent considering that. You said yourself that you weren't a NFL expert, let alone a Titans expert. You not being sold on them is a horrible reason, especially when you have them picking the 1st overall? Actually make an argument for the pick. Or just trust a Titans fan, who actually knows his team.

2) McFadden was given strong consideration, but I thought Chris Henry deserves a chance to be the feature & future back. Adding a dominant run blocker like Long who has solid potential in pass protection was the best move. It gives Henry (and White) a greater chance to be effective in helping the Titans be a dominant ball control offense. I know Norm Chow doesn't favor that kind of offense but Vince Young will never be an air-it-out QB.

Chris Henry is 3rd on the depth chart, and despite being big, strong, and fast, he hasn't exactly "wow'd" the coaching staff. He'll move to 2nd next year just because Brown will likely be leaving. Travis Henry practically ran for 1200+ yards in 14 games last year behind the line we'll have this year. If the RB's don't run well, then its the RB's that have the problem.

3) Their record was reflective toward my feelings about Vince Young and his receivers/weapons. The offense will make a ton of mistakes and losing a defensive playmaker like Pacman is big too.

If the record reflects Vince's weapons, then give him weapons! If the team needs a defensive playmaker, then give them a defensive playmaker!

McFadden, Jackson, Dorsey, Campbell...anyone of them makes sense, though some not that early. Jake Long does not. We are not spending the 1st overall pick upgrading a position that is already a strong point. If you do not understand this, then you aren't the draft analyst that you proclaime to be.

PoopSandwich
09-06-2007, 07:50 PM
My two favorite Canes going back to back in the top 10, nice!

Imagine Tampa with Calais and Gaines... My god.

etk
09-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Not sold? That's a horrendous reason. What exactly aren't you sold on? The fact that they're young? That they weren't select in the first round? That they don't have any pro-bowls to their names? Roos is a two year starter, and Stewart started this year and played excellent considering that. You said yourself that you weren't a NFL expert, let alone a Titans expert. You not being sold on them is a horrible reason, especially when you have them picking the 1st overall? Actually make an argument for the pick. Or just trust a Titans fan, who actually knows his team.

Chris Henry is 3rd on the depth chart, and despite being big, strong, and fast, he hasn't exactly "wow'd" the coaching staff. He'll move to 2nd next year just because Brown will likely be leaving. Travis Henry practically ran for 1200+ yards in 14 games last year behind the line we'll have this year. If the RB's don't run well, then its the RB's that have the problem.

If the record reflects Vince's weapons, then give him weapons! If the team needs a defensive playmaker, then give them a defensive playmaker!

McFadden, Jackson, Dorsey, Campbell...anyone of them makes sense, though some not that early. Jake Long does not. We are not spending the 1st overall pick upgrading a position that is already a strong point. If you do not understand this, then you aren't the draft analyst that you proclaime to be.

McFadden: Not a need
Jackson: Too early
Dorsey: Not a need, early for a DT
Campbell: Makes most sense of the 4

Drafting a RT may not be the most logical choice here, especially considering the # of the pick, but I see no other choice. None of the other prospects available make better sense, and you weren't very convincing in arguing that they were. Campbell is an option but the Titans need help on offense, and Long is the best available candidate as an upgrade over Stewart. Vanden Bosch is solid and the Titans don't need another oversized DE, so LaBoy is fine for the moment.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-06-2007, 11:44 PM
That was a great mock. Probably the best I have seen. Well done!

If I was the Titans, I would have taken Jackson, as they could use him at wr and special teams.

However, considering the bust potential at wr and ol being a safe pick, you cant argue with Long, no matter what anyone says.

MURPHMAN
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Carolina's needs at safety have been well documented. However, most/all of the young safeties on the roster are signed for mulitple years and Fox and the FO have NEVER placed much emphisis on the position in the draft or free agency. Hopefully 2 of the 5 on the roster will emerge as starters as the year goes on. If not, then it is a big need but I am not sure Hefney is the answer. Based on the new personel hired for scouting talent and the most recent draft results, the Panthers seem to be moving away from targeting certain players and going more for BPA (assuming any kind of need is there). As of now, Hefney may be a reach that early.

Both starting OT's are UFA's after this season and despite all the talk by Richardson that Gross is a priority to be re-signed, it still has not happened. The back-ups are not that strong either so that would be my first round choice since this class is stacked.

If not OT, DT could be a huge need. Both backups are UFA's and we all know that Kris Jenkins is on shaky ground with the FO.

OSUGiants17
09-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Nice G-Men pick

TitanHope
09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
McFadden: Not a need
Jackson: Too early
Dorsey: Not a need, early for a DT
Campbell: Makes most sense of the 4

Drafting a RT may not be the most logical choice here, especially considering the # of the pick, but I see no other choice. None of the other prospects available make better sense, and you weren't very convincing in arguing that they were. Campbell is an option but the Titans need help on offense, and Long is the best available candidate as an upgrade over Stewart. Vanden Bosch is solid and the Titans don't need another oversized DE, so LaBoy is fine for the moment.

*sigh*

Here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php) is a website that lists many OL statistics from last season. As you can see, the Titans line was 12th in the league when it came to pass protection, which I think reflects greatly on our OT's. Roos and Stewart are just going into their 3rd year in the NFL, and they're a big part of the 12th best pass protecting line in the league. Now, Vince Young's manueverability has some to do with this, but that only proves that OT isn't that big of a need to be upgraded. On the other hand, they're the 27th ranked unit when it comes to run blocking, which I believe reflects on our guards. Thats why I said that Guard would be a more logical position to upgrade. But still, thats only because the rankings are listed by the Adj. Line Yards stat. Look at the rest of the stats when it comes to run blocking. The Titans line is above the league average in everything else when it comes to run blocking.

The Titans won't draft Jake Long with the 1st overall pick. There is a great chance that they'd take McFadden. You want to know why? Because in the 2003 draft, the top player on our board was Larry Johnson. He got picked by the Cheifs right before our selection. In the 2004 draft, we were wanting Steven Jackson. He got picked by the Rams right before us too. Even in the 2005 draft, the Titans were wanting to pick either Ronnie Brown, Caddillac Williams, or Cedric Benson instead of Pacman. Unfortunately, those 3 got picked before the Titans also. The Titans have been after a RB for a while now. If LenDale doesn't perform, I don't think the front office will pass up on a talent like McFadden when they've been lusting after RB's for the past few years. Even if it means we have McFadden, White, and Henry on roster. And as you said, Jackson is too early and the Titans don't draft WR's early in the draft, since they're not as important in our offense. We do have a big need at DT. Albert Haynesworth is in the last year of his contract, and there's no other presence at DT besides him. What other over-sized DE are you talking about? LaBoy isn't even starting this season. Antwan Odom is, but he has struggled with injuries all year.

Its your choice since it's your mock. But Jake Long is a very poor pick, despite what HEISMANHERSCHEL says (Just becaue OL is a safe pick doesn't mean its a good one). I've explained to you why its a bad selection also. You asked for constructive criticism, and I gave you it with a good enough argument to back it up. Anymore counterpoints on your part are just a sign of stubborness. Fortunately, I think its time for me to stop attempting to correct you.

Hermstheman83
09-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Etk,
Your mock is really good, I don't think KC would pick a QB though. I think it is way to early to be counting him out. Also, I would think our greatest need would be O-line. Perhaps it's too early to be thinking O-line with what's left(I like Sam Baker myself, but Scott has us taking a guy out of Boise State....).
Also, I think JA will be re-signed to a long term deal, we got the cap to do it.

adschofield
09-08-2007, 10:48 AM
hmmm, Herm is not giving up on Brodie, he's prob. going to be the starter by mid-season, I think DeSean Jackson makes sense there, maybe Brandon Flowers