PDA

View Full Version : Urlacher has issue with Merriman

TitleTown088
09-05-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

Brian Urlacher rolled his eyes and then exhaled as if to say he wanted no part of a conversation about San Diego's Shawne Merriman. But the Bears linebacker couldn't dance around the subject long. Merriman's outrageous "Lights Out" bunny hop to celebrate a sack, a routine Merriman has vowed to tone down this season, indeed gets underneath Urlacher's skin. Not that Urlacher has something against the Chargers' sack king. Or maybe he does. "The thing is, if you're going to do it, do it all the time," Urlacher said. "Do it when you make a bad play too. You'll never see me doing any stupid [stuff] like that after a play. The only thing I'll do is get a little happy with my teammates."

This is why I like Urlacher.... Merriman's dance is weak, I was waiting for someone to speak up about it.

Smooth Criminal
09-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Lots of people have their little dances after plays they make. Why is Merriman the only one that gets critised for it? Probably because he gets to do it more than most people.

duckseason
09-05-2007, 02:31 PM

This is why I like Urlacher.... Merriman's dance is weak, I was waiting for someone to speak up about it.

Yeah, I hope he continues it this year. Along with those ballin' Giants. Love it when direct rivals of my Cowboys make themselves look like jackasses.

keylime_5
09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
I think they should all stop doing stupid dances that Jerry Rice and Deion, etc. started, they look re-tarded. Why can't they just score a touchdown or whatever and hand the ball to the ref like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders?

JK17
09-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Well I mean Merriman said he's not doing it anymore, so I don't know what the big deal is here...

But Urlacher's comment is kind of stupid in my opinion. Do it when you make a bad play too? It's a celebration, it's something he does, like Urlacher says, to get invovled wtih his teammates after a big play. Why would he do it after a bad play, its just a stupid comment to make. Would Urlacher celebrate with a teammate after getting juked or trucked?

duckseason
09-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Well I mean Merriman said he's not doing it anymore, so I don't know what the big deal is here...

But Urlacher's comment is kind of stupid in my opinion. Do it when you make a bad play too? It's a celebration, it's something he does, like Urlacher says, to get invovled wtih his teammates after a big play. Why would he do it after a bad play, its just a stupid comment to make. Would Urlacher celebrate with a teammate after getting juked or trucked?

I think he's trying to make the point that it's important to keep an even keel out there. He's saying that bad plays are just as significant as sacks, and that dancing after each sack makes it seem as though that's all that matters to Merriman.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Urlacher is the man. I remember when he had Paris Hilton in a club box like 4 years ago just wearing his jersey on Monday Night Football.

trkaline
09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Thats it Urlaucher vs. Merriman UFC 77 Only on Spike...

nfrillman
09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!!!

I think Merriman's dance gets pointed out because he is one of, if not the only defensive player in the league that has a "signature" dance or celebration. The only other one I can think of is Gilbert Brown diggin the grave. Mine would be the belly flop. How funny would it be for someone to get a sack and then bust out a gigantic belly flop.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Merriman wouldnt be allowed to fight. He would test positive for enhancement drugs.

BlindSite
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I care more about merriman being a dirty drug cheat than his dance.

bored of education
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
well that terrible team in NY used to do that stupid *** as jump shot thing

PACKmanN
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM

so do you hate our own Barnett when he does his "chop"?

TimD
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Urlacher is the man. I remember when he had Paris Hilton in a club box like 4 years ago just wearing his jersey on Monday Night Football.

hell yeahhhhh
http://www.beckett.com/images/itemimages/cheapseatscards/cheapseatscards44919273.jpg

bigbluedefense
09-05-2007, 03:27 PM
I see no problem with his celebration. Whats the difference between him celebrating a sack, and Chad Johnson doing CPR on a football after a touchdown? Why is Chad's celebrations funny, yet Merriman's classless? Its a doublestandard. Either hate em all, or hate none of it.

It was only a matter of time before defenders started celebrating the way WRs celebrate. Everyone wants to be on sportscenter these days, and thats how you accomplish that goal unfortunately.

PACKmanN
09-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I see no problem with his celebration. Whats the difference between him celebrating a sack, and Chad Johnson doing CPR on a football after a touchdown? Why is Chad's celebrations funny, yet Merriman's classless? Its a doublestandard. Either hate em all, or hate none of it.

It was only a matter of time before defenders started celebrating the way WRs celebrate. Everyone wants to be on sportscenter these days, and thats how you accomplish that goal unfortunately.

because Chad Johnson dances are always new and are pretty much creative. Also you cant start with Chad because players like T.O. started dancing in the endzone before him.

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 03:33 PM
hell yeahhhhh
http://www.beckett.com/images/itemimages/cheapseatscards/cheapseatscards44919273.jpg

In the words of Parris Hilton.... "Thats Hot".

Im_a_Romosexual
09-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Putting points up, thats why I can live with TD celebrations. If Merriman sacks somebody on first and ten, the offense can comeback next play and score, but if he sacks the QB forcing a Punt or Safety Its OK. Another big nono (anytime in general for anybody) is to celebrate while losing

trkaline
09-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Putting points up, thats why I can live with TD celebrations. If Merriman sacks somebody on first and ten, the offense can comeback next play and score, but if he sacks the QB forcing a Punt or Safety Its OK. Another big nono (anytime in general for anybody) is to celebrate while losing

Yea if you celebrate a sack then next play is thrown for a touchdown...You look like a giant douche...if you do it while losing you look like you have no idea whats goin on.....

JoeMontainya
09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Lots of people have their little dances after plays they make. Why is Merriman the only one that gets critised for it? Probably because he gets to do it more than most people.

I would NEVER want Merrimen on my team. He is a huge cheater who shouldnt even be in the league anymore along with other steroid users. Urlacher is right IMO. Merrimen is a one dementional linebacker who is on a different level than other players because he cheats. To top it off the cheater gets to represent the NFL in the pro bowl, what a great message to kids.

steelersfan43
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Good, merriman is a chump.

OhioState
09-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I'll bet that Urlacher doesn't really care just about the dance. I think that a lot of vet's like him and Jason Taylor have problems with Merriman because he is a cheat.

bored of education
09-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I wonder if Rodney Harrison has a problem with him

TimD
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Ugh the Giant's Ballin' thing. On a third and 1 and you flatten the guy for a loss, then yeah go for it. Or a big sack where its a fumble or a third down, then yeah go for it. But after every little stop or a okay sack it was just dumb. Until Mario did it....

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/spt.jab.williamstwo.1106.jpg

plus when Wilkinson and Robbins would do it after gang tackles, that looked really stupid...

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I'll bet that Urlacher doesn't really care just about the dance. I think that a lot of vet's like him and Jason Taylor have problems with Merriman because he is a cheat.

Definintely the truth

bigbluedefense
09-05-2007, 04:09 PM
it just seems to me that people just love bashing shawne merriman whenever they get the chance.

ive said for a long time now, and i will stand by this statement. HGH, and steroids isn't a Merriman issue, it isn't an SD issue, its a LEAGUE issue. Point the finger all you want and bash him while your team is so clean and just, but the truth is, theres players on your team, high profile players at that, that does HGH.

Jansen, the RT of the Redskins said 40% of the LEAGUE is on it. Think about that. I wouldn't be suprised if thats true. And thats a player saying it. So remember, if youre a pot, don't call the kettle black.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Can't side with Urlacher on this one he's an idiot for saying something stupid like that, I don't care how good a good person you are I won't give you a free pass when you say something dumb like that. Other players need to stop hating on Merriman it's not like he's the only one who's been caught and he proved after he came back he can still get the job done, so all this is, is jealousy.

Flyboy
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Oh my goodness. It's a dance. I dance that I personally mark out for. I swear.

ShutDwn
09-05-2007, 04:27 PM
a routine Merriman has vowed to tone down this season,

So, this all matter because...?

It is just stupid of Urlacher, because he is throwing insults or what have you at Merriman after Shawn said he was going to stop.

If you are going to diss/talk about them, do when they are active in what you are talking about.

So, is Urlacher going to go after Ray Lewis? Ray celebrates, has his intro dance all that hoopla. Is Urlacher going to go after one of the most dominant and popular defensive players over the last several years? Or is Urlacher just going after Merriman because everyone else is and it is the thing to do?

Borat
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I think they should all stop doing stupid dances that Jerry Rice and Deion, etc. started, they look re-tarded. Why can't they just score a touchdown or whatever and hand the ball to the ref like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders?

Jerry Rice had a dance?

JK17
09-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I care more about merriman being a dirty drug cheat than his dance.

Sort of like how Julius Peppers' was busted for banned substances early in his career?

Philliez01
09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
I agree with BBD. While I am against steroids and HGH, if you hate Merriman than you must have the same standard against Harrison (Rodney of course) and Julius Peppers. Even if you do, there are probably so many guys that are on standards that we don't even think about that are on it. It's the leagues job to crack down on performance enhancing drugs and they are as much to blame as the users.

Anyway, I hate the Ballin' celebration more than Merriman. It was funny at first but when you get 4 sacks or so per game, it gets old fast. I just don't like Merriman's but it's not any skin off my body. It's not that I think it's obnoxious, just don't like it. Looks like he's having a stand up seizure.

I don't get why people hate celebrations. It adds a different element to the game. I mean some of them are way too extravagant but if everyone just flipped the ball back to the ref, it would be rather boring. I love the Colts not having any real celebrations (other than Booger when he gets a sack, though that won't be seen) but I'd like to see some emotion. Some hype that they made a huge play. I remember when Marvin spiked the ball for the first time to my recollection and it hit Ellis Hobbs in the face. I was shocked.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
It doesn't bother me at all persoanlly.

McBain
09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
borrrrrrrrrrring.

J52
09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't have a problem with steroid users anymore. It's not like most players don't use em. They won't be stopped, ever. There is a safe amount and method etc that you are pretty much guaranteed never to get caught. So I've decided to just get over it.

However, to get caught you probably have to go overboard or be reckless. So I consider that the line.

As far as the celebrations go; Get over it Urlacher. Football, at its purest, is ****** entertainment. It isn't some high class, holier then thou game where you try to socially outdo one another... It is a game meant to entertain.

While Merriman's dance is probably the worst in the league, he has all the right in the world to do it.

iowatreat54
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM
So, this all matter because...?

It is just stupid of Urlacher, because he is throwing insults or what have you at Merriman after Shawn said he was going to stop.

If you are going to diss/talk about them, do when they are active in what you are talking about.

So, is Urlacher going to go after Ray Lewis? Ray celebrates, has his intro dance all that hoopla. Is Urlacher going to go after one of the most dominant and popular defensive players over the last several years? Or is Urlacher just going after Merriman because everyone else is and it is the thing to do?

it seems like most of you didn't comprehend the part about Urlacher not wanting to be involved in anyway with answering ?s about Merriman...I'm not defending what he said because it's just a stupid fight, but all you guys are making it out like Urlacher went out of his way in a press conference to insult Merriman for no reason, when in all actuality he wanted nothing to do with it but the press kept bugging him about it, so he said something, which I'm sure he regrets even saying anything...Urlacher is a pretty classy player and rarely if ever says something like this, so I'm actually surprised...was his comment unwarranted and stupid? Yes, but get over it because it's not a big deal and the media is just trying to make it bigger than it is...

ShutDwn
09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I agree with BBD. While I am against steroids and HGH, if you hate Merriman than you must have the same standard against Harrison (Rodney of course) and Julius Peppers. Even if you do, there are probably so many guys that are on standards that we don't even think about that are on it. It's the leagues job to crack down on performance enhancing drugs and they are as much to blame as the users.

Anyway, I hate the Ballin' celebration more than Merriman. It was funny at first but when you get 4 sacks or so per game, it gets old fast. I just don't like Merriman's but it's not any skin off my body. It's not that I think it's obnoxious, just don't like it. Looks like he's having a stand up seizure.

I don't get why people hate celebrations. It adds a different element to the game. I mean some of them are way too extravagant but if everyone just flipped the ball back to the ref, it would be rather boring. I love the Colts not having any real celebrations (other than Booger when he gets a sack, though that won't be seen) but I'd like to see some emotion. Some hype that they made a huge play. I remember when Marvin spiked the ball for the first time to my recollection and it hit Ellis Hobbs in the face. I was shocked.

Julius Peppers took Ephedra, a weight loss supplement that is banned mostly for its incredibly high risk of serious injury or death. Ephedra has no proven effects on athletic performance.

JK17
09-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Julius Peppers took Ephedra, a weight loss supplement that is banned mostly for its incredibly high risk of serious injury or death. Ephedra has no proven effects on athletic performance.

It's a banned supplement. For all you know, a lower weight could contribute to quicker speed of the ball. But that doesn't even matter, its an illegal drug in the NFL. So if people want to say they hate Merriman because he's a "drug cheat", there are other players who fall into that same category. It doesn't matter why its banned, its banned.

Dam8610
09-05-2007, 06:57 PM
It doesn't matter why its banned, its banned.

What? Come on, you can't be serious. Taking a recreational drug and taking a performance enhancing substance are two entirely different things, but an NFL player can be suspended for both. The difference is the recreational drug won't make a player better on the football field. Of course, when you're trying to defend someone who got caught taking roids, that wouldn't be something that would enter your mind, would it?

ShutDwn
09-05-2007, 06:59 PM
It's a banned supplement. For all you know, a lower weight could contribute to quicker speed of the ball. But that doesn't even matter, its an illegal drug in the NFL. So if people want to say they hate Merriman because he's a "drug cheat", there are other players who fall into that same category. It doesn't matter why its banned, its banned.

Obviously since you are a Charger fan, you are angry that a player who people think took a "steroid" really didn't. Merriman took an actual steroid, Peppers took a weight loss supplement that is banned for safety reasons. They aren't in the same category.

USA TODAY article from 05

NFL Players Association leader Gene Upshaw as saying, "The dangers are still there, as far as we're concerned.. .. We have enough concerns about this. It's still going to be on our banned list

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
What? Come on, you can't be serious. Taking a recreational drug and taking a performance enhancing substance are two entirely different things, but an NFL player can be suspended for both. The difference is the recreational drug won't make a player better on the football field. Of course, when you're trying to defend someone who got caught taking roids, that wouldn't be something that would enter your mind, would it?

Now hold on just a minute pal, because I've hardly ever defended Merriman, aside from bringing up that many other players violate the same rule and don't get the same criticism. Now I could go into detail on exactly the scenario regarding Merriman's failed test...the fact that he passed 19 out of 20 steroid tests, the supplement nandralone is slipped into many supplements that otherwise would appear to be in complete compliance with league rules, his performance both before and after the tests, etc. But I'll spare you all that.

How is weight loss not something that can enhance a players' performance? And regardless of what it was, it makes him, by definition a drug cheat. So no, it did enter my mind. But thanks for the condescending tone, and complete ignorance of my entire argument. If people are going to claim to hate Merriman because he violated the league rules, so did Peppers, you can't separate the two. They both knew the rules and choose to either ignore them, or didn't do enough to prevent them.

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Obviously since you are a Charger fan, you are angry that a player who people think took a "steroid" really didn't. Merriman took an actual steroid, Peppers took a weight loss supplement that is banned for safety reasons. They aren't in the same category.

USA TODAY article from 05

Right. Obviously. Because I'm a Charger fan.

Because it's not like, in many other posts regarding Merriman and the steroids issue, I've made clear I don't approve of, or even think he was innocent in the matter.

Your article says it right there. It's banned. For whatever reasons, he chose to ignore the ban on it. It's a dietary supplement used to help him with his weight, whatever he wanted to do with it, and the league told him he couldn't but he did. That's not me being a Charger fan and trying desperately to convince myself of Merriman's innocnece.

If you want to look at it the way the poster I originally replied to does, they are both drug cheats.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
His light's out dance is awesome, I dunno why people are hatin on him for that...

Chucky
09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Now hold on just a minute pal, because I've hardly ever defended Merriman, aside from bringing up that many other players violate the same rule and don't get the same criticism. Now I could go into detail on exactly the scenario regarding Merriman's failed test...the fact that he passed 19 out of 20 steroid tests, the supplement nandralone is slipped into many supplements that otherwise would appear to be in complete compliance with league rules, his performance both before and after the tests, etc. But I'll spare you all that.

How is weight loss not something that can enhance a players' performance? And regardless of what it was, it makes him, by definition a drug cheat. So no, it did enter my mind. But thanks for the condescending tone, and complete ignorance of my entire argument. If people are going to claim to hate Merriman because he violated the league rules, so did Peppers, you can't separate the two. They both knew the rules and choose to either ignore them, or didn't do enough to prevent them.

People dont hate Merriman because he broke the league rules, people hate him because he took steroids, that enhanced his play, there is a big difference

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
People dont hate Merriman because he broke the league rules, people hate him because he took steroids, that enhanced his play, there is a big difference

I wouldn't neccesarily say there's a big difference....there's a differnce yes. But prove to me Peppers' epehdrin use didn't benefit his play.

The point is there is a lot of double standrards where people will be very harsh on Merriman, and ignore players on their own teams, like Peppers who have done similar things.

Now, I know I may be more easy-going on merriman, because he is a Charger...but I by no means have excused him for doing it. Ever.

someone447
09-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Is Ricky Williams a drug cheat? Good luck convincing anyone of that.

I don't really have a problem with performance enhancers in sports. I would bet that MOST that means over 50% of professional athletes have taken steroids. Maybe in HS, college, or the pros. On my high school team 6 of the 11 defensive players took steroids(that I know for sure, another 2 might have.) It is incredibly common, so I have juts given up caring about it.

That being said, I still can't stand Merriman, I hate when people do dances after every good play they do. I couldn't stand when Gilbert Brown did it, and I can't stand when Merriman does it. He makes a play that wins them the game, fine go ahead, it's rare. I don't like offensive players celebrating after every touchdown, you have some sort of amazing play, ok do it, you catch a routine td, it isn't your first one, get over it.

There are a few situations where I think it is ok. Your first of anything of importance, celebrate it, you made a damn good play in the league. The Super Bowl, hell, if you are in the Super Bowl celebrate every play that can be seen as good, YOU'RE IN THE SUPER BOWL FOR GOD'S SAKE!

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:18 PM

I don't really have a problem with performance enhancers in sports. I would bet that MOST that means over 50% of professional athletes have taken steroids. Maybe in HS, college, or the pros. On my high school team 6 of the 11 defensive players took steroids(that I know for sure, another 2 might have.) It is incredibly common, so I have juts given up caring about it.

That being said, I still can't stand Merriman, I hate when people do dances after every good play they do. I couldn't stand when Gilbert Brown did it, and I can't stand when Merriman does it. He makes a play that wins them the game, fine go ahead, it's rare. I don't like offensive players celebrating after every touchdown, you have some sort of amazing play, ok do it, you catch a routine td, it isn't your first one, get over it.

There are a few situations where I think it is ok. Your first of anything of importance, celebrate it, you made a damn good play in the league. The Super Bowl, hell, if you are in the Super Bowl celebrate every play that can be seen as good, YOU'RE IN THE SUPER BOWL FOR GOD'S SAKE!

That's fair though, you don't like Merriman because of his attitude on the field. A lot of people don't like the celebrations, but you can't deny he is a good player. Personally, I like it, but I'm sure if he wasn't on my team I would hate the dance. So I can understand that.

But if people don't like him for that, don't mask it by the steroids thing, because if people cared as much as they said they did about that issue, there would be a lot more criticism on other players.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Dude, getting a TD you should celebrate, getting a sack, you should celebrate, INT, celebrate, other things not so much. Merriman was the league leader in sacks last year at 17, so that's pretty much 1 a game. If you weren't as good as merriman, you might have like 8 sacks, 1 every 2 games, so a sack is hard to come by so you should celebrate. Same with a TD and INT. In soccer, you celebrate every goal you get. You say it's routine so why celebrate? Because it's the fun of it, so why not?

SeanTaylorRIP
09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
That's fair though, you don't like Merriman because of his attitude on the field. A lot of people don't like the celebrations, but you can't deny he is a good player. Personally, I like it, but I'm sure if he wasn't on my team I would hate the dance. So I can understand that.

But if people don't like him for that, don't mask it by the steroids thing, because if people cared as much as they said they did about that issue, there would be a lot more criticism on other players.

With that said everyone does it, Giants shooting hoops and about 80% of NFL wideouts do the same celebration after every catch whether it be spin the ball on the ground, point to the first down, run 10 yards after and clap your hands, it's all part of the game, Urlacher should have just kept his mouth shut even if he is annoyed of hearing about it, if he wanted to stop the questions answer them but in a professional matter no need to bash, no excuse, even if you are a good player and good person.

someone447
09-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Dude, getting a TD you should celebrate, getting a sack, you should celebrate, INT, celebrate, other things not so much. Merriman was the league leader in sacks last year at 17, so that's pretty much 1 a game. If you weren't as good as merriman, you might have like 8 sacks, 1 every 2 games, so a sack is hard to come by so you should celebrate. Same with a TD and INT. In soccer, you celebrate every goal you get. You say it's routine so why celebrate? Because it's the fun of it, so why not?

There is a difference between celebrating and what Merriman, et al do. A celebration with the team is different than a solo celebration. Let your TEAMMATES congratulate you, don't congratulate yourself.

I also have less of a problem with offensive players celebrating, they are prima donnas anyway. I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me like the defenders celebrating.

Everything I say applies to solo celebrations only, when your teammates start it you can't just ignore them, BUT LET YOUR TEAMMATES START IT. Start a celebration for another player who makes a play, but not yourself.

I HATE the signalling of the first down after a catch, unless it is 4th and ____ and you are on a potential game winning drive, just forget about it.

someone447
09-05-2007, 07:29 PM
With that said everyone does it, Giants shooting hoops and about 80% of NFL wideouts do the same celebration after every catch whether it be spin the ball on the ground, point to the first down, run 10 yards after and clap your hands, it's all part of the game, Urlacher should have just kept his mouth shut even if he is annoyed of hearing about it, if he wanted to stop the questions answer them but in a professional matter no need to bash, no excuse, even if you are a good player and good person.

He pretty much told him to shut up and play, I don't see how Urlacher "bashed" him at all. Can anyone deny that he looks stupid when he does it anyway?

Chucky
09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't neccesarily say there's a big difference....there's a differnce yes. But prove to me Peppers' epehdrin use didn't benefit his play.

The point is there is a lot of double standrards where people will be very harsh on Merriman, and ignore players on their own teams, like Peppers who have done similar things.

Now, I know I may be more easy-going on merriman, because he is a Charger...but I by no means have excused him for doing it. Ever.

Regarding Peppers, if anything i think it would help if he bulked up a bit, instead of losing weight, also comparing losing an extra 5-10 pounds to using steroids is completely unfair and just plain stupid, the difference in enhancement( if any in Peppers case, which i highly doubt there were), is just ridiculous, and therefor there is no double standard, people just use common sense when making their judgements

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Regarding Peppers, if anything i think it would help if he bulked up a bit, instead of losing weight, also comparing losing an extra 5-10 pounds to using steroids is completely unfair and just plain stupid, the difference in enhancement( if any in Peppers case, which i highly doubt there were), is just ridiculous, and therefor there is no double standard, people just use common sense when making their judgements

I disagree, both violated the Substance Abuse policy regardless of the seriosity, so there is a double standard, but its a differnece of opinion then and debate won't change that.

someone447
09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I disagree, both violated the Substance Abuse policy regardless of the seriosity, so there is a double standard, but its a differnece of opinion then and debate won't change that.

So, Ricky Williams is on the same level as Merriman? Again, if you use common sense you will realize that the two are not comparable. If you want to defend his use, or point out a double standard or anything like that point to Bill Romanowski, Rodney Harrison, or the countless others who have gotten in trouble for using PERFORMANCE ENHANCERS and not whatever you would classify ephedra as.

Severity, man, severity.

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:52 PM
So, Ricky Williams is on the same level as Merriman? Again, if you use common sense you will realize that the two are not comparable. If you want to defend his use, or point out a double standard or anything like that point to Bill Romanowski, Rodney Harrison, or the countless others who have gotten in trouble for using PERFORMANCE ENHANCERS and not whatever you would classify ephedra as.

By definition, I would classify Williams in the same level. Using common sense, no I wouldn't, just like I'm not dumb enough to think ephedra is as beneficial as steroids to an athelte. But in terms of breaking the rules, it is the same consequence and same rule they broke.

The reason I didn't point them out, and chose to point out Peppers, is because a Panthers fan had brought up not liking Merriman becasue he is a drug cheat. The words, as he had said them, drug cheat, imply breaking the league rules regarding drugs, something Peppers, and even Ricky Williams did do.

I didn't mean to imply that ephedra and nandralone give equal results, but in the cateogry in which both were caught for, they carry the same seriosity.

Again, the whole reason I bring up Peppers, and not to say the others, is because of the wording BlindSite had used in his accusation that he did not like Merriman because he was a drug cheat. Which, serious drug or not, Peppers is also.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
The media has been bugging Urlacher all week about Merriman too. He's not one to really say anything about anyone in the media but I think he was just aggrivated that everyone kept acting like there was a storyline (which I guess now he gave them one).

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
The media has been bugging Urlacher all week about Merriman too. He's not one to really say anything about anyone in the media but I think he was just aggrivated that everyone kept acting like there was a storyline (which I guess now he gave them one).

I agree, thats probably the situation too, he doesn't usually do things like that. But the actual quote he gave, I feel, doesn't reallly apply or follow much common sense. I wouldn't personally hold it against Urlacher, I think every one knows how the media can be in trying to create story lines....

but the actual quote, he could have thought of much different ways to say what he did.

someone447
09-05-2007, 07:56 PM
By definition, I would classify Williams in the same level. Using common sense, no I wouldn't, just like I'm not dumb enough to think ephedra is as beneficial as steroids to an athelte. But in terms of breaking the rules, it is the same consequence and same rule they broke.

The reason I didn't point them out, and chose to point out Peppers, is because a Panthers fan had brought up not liking Merriman becasue he is a drug cheat. The words, as he had said them, drug cheat, imply breaking the league rules regarding drugs, something Peppers, and even Ricky Williams did do.

I didn't mean to imply that ephedra and nandralone give equal results, but in the cateogry in which both were caught for, they carry the same seriosity.

Again, the whole reason I bring up Peppers, and not to say the others, is because of the wording BlindSite had used in his accusation that he did not like Merriman because he was a drug cheat. Which, serious drug or not, Peppers is also.

There is a difference between drug cheat and drug user. Peppers and Williams are drug users, they didn't use it to gain an unfair advantage. They broke the same rule, but that doesn't make it equal. Say I walk into Walgreens and steal a candy bar, does that put me on the same level as a CEO who siphons vast amounts of money from his employees retirement accounts? Of course not, so why are you trying to act like it does?

bearsfan_51
09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Can't side with Urlacher on this one he's an idiot for saying something stupid like that, I don't care how good a good person you are I won't give you a free pass when you say something dumb like that. Other players need to stop hating on Merriman it's not like he's the only one who's been caught and he proved after he came back he can still get the job done, so all this is, is jealousy.
Why exactly is it 'stupid'? It's just his opinion. He doesn't like dancing.

nfrillman
09-05-2007, 07:58 PM
This comparison of Merriman and Peppers does not make any sense. Both players are similar in the same way that someone who murdered 12 people is similar to someone who gets a ticket for littering, they both broke the law. Both instances are also different in the way that someone who murdered 12 people is different than someone who got a ticket for littering. If you want to continue considering the two the same then sorry but you are ignorant while wearing those Charger tinted shades. Both players served their time by the rules, the court of public opinion is what judges them now. Regardless of anything you say, people will never be able to look at Merriman and not wonder if he would be that good without the steroids. Another issue, Merriman's performance after the suspension doesn't prove anything about his ability without steroids. If someone builds up a ton of muscle with steroids they can keep that muscle if they quit using steroids, all they have to do is continue working out and not let it disappear, and I am sure NFL players do a little working out.

And the issue of celebrations, I am just not a fan of someone doing the same celebration dance every time, if you are going to bother with dancing at least keep it fresh.

JK17
09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
There is a difference between drug cheat and drug user. Peppers and Williams are drug users, they didn't use it to gain an unfair advantage. They broke the same rule, but that doesn't make it equal. Say I walk into Walgreens and steal a candy bar, does that put me on the same level as a CEO who siphons vast amounts of money from his employees retirement accounts? Of course not, so why are you trying to act like it does?

I haven't tried to act like it does. I said they are similar situations, not identical. I even bolded the word, similar.

Those situations you just mentioned, are similar situations, not identical. Also, those two would carry different consequences, whereas Merriman and Peppers, and Williams received the same punishment. And again, I'm not denying their is a difference, I'm emphasizing that saying you hate Merriman because he is a drug cheat, is different then saying he is a drug user.

Jesus, I'm not even defending the guy, I don't know how clear I can make that.

JK17
09-05-2007, 08:01 PM
This comparison of Merriman and Peppers does not make any sense. Both players are similar in the same way that someone who murdered 12 people is similar to someone who gets a ticket for littering, they both broke the law. Both instances are also different in the way that someone who murdered 12 people is different than someone who got a ticket for littering. If you want to continue considering the two the same then sorry but you are ignorant while wearing those Charger tinted shades. Both players served their time by the rules, the court of public opinion is what judges them now. Regardless of anything you say, people will never be able to look at Merriman and not wonder if he would be that good without the steroids. Another issue, Merriman's performance after the suspension doesn't prove anything about his ability without steroids. If someone builds up a ton of muscle with steroids they can keep that muscle if they quit using steroids, all they have to do is continue working out and not let it disappear, and I am sure NFL players do a little working out.

And the issue of celebrations, I am just not a fan of someone doing the same celebration dance every time, if you are going to bother with dancing at least keep it fresh.

Right...

So when I said, I don't approve or believe Merriman's complete innocence, and even said the situations are not the same, but similar in nature, which they are its banned supplements how can they not be similar, that was just by Charger tinted glasses.

Edit: And I'll try to make it very clear, so that people don't keep misquoting or misinterpreting what I'm saying. I do not think that nandralone and ephedra are on the same level in terms of benefits. But both are banned supplements. I'm not even calling for Peppers' head, or anything like that. I'm just saying, a blanket statement, like "I hate Merriman because he is a drug cheat", also encompasses Peppers, although not to the same degree. Using your examples, a convicted mass murderer, and a single homicide, or even something like an arrest for possession carry the same name "murderer" or "felon". It's the same concept is what I'm trying to say. They aren't equal offenders, but they are both offenders.

Also....

http://www.buyvasoproephedrine.com/ephedrine-fatloss-effect.html

Ephedrine an ergogenic drug that enhances endurance, strength and energy.
Firstly for athletes interested in muscle gain, ephedrine enhances the metabolic rate - the measure of fat, protein and carbohydrate conversion by the body. And an enhanced metabolic rate could clearly increase the speed of depositing new muscle mass.

Secondly the stimulant effect of the drug also increases the force of skeletal muscle contractions. The adrenaline rush provided allows the user to push harder through their training and can indirectly lead to further muscle and strength gains.

Finally it is important to note that the powerful mental edge the drug can provide, typically making the user feel far more energetic and much better able to concentrate on the tasks at hand.

The ephedrine,when used correctly, can dramatically increase fat loss and spare lean muscle tissue

P-L
09-05-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't mind dances at all. Let the players have a little fun out there. If it bothers you as a player, than you need thicker skin. I don't even mind minor celebrations when a team is losing (as long as it isn't excessive). Who really cares? People who get their panties in a bunch over these celebrations is what bothers me more than any single celebration.

DaBears9654
09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Looks like he's having a stand up seizure.
I interpret it slightly differently. I think it looks like he's mocking epileptics, which, as a friend of one, I find offensive. That's why I hate Merriman's celebration.

On the other hand, I do agree with those who said Urlacher's comment, "If you're going to do it, do it all the time," was stupid. Who would celebrate a lousy play?

Borat
09-05-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't mind dances at all. Let the players have a little fun out there. If it bothers you as a player, than you need thicker skin. I don't even mind minor celebrations when a team is losing (as long as it isn't excessive). Who really cares? People who get their panties in a bunch over these celebrations is what bothers me more than any single celebration.

I agree with PL. Dances are fine. I think it is hilarious though when San Diego fans/players/announcers get upset when others mimic the Merriman dance. That to me is good comedy. That's also why you need to mix up your celebrations.

JK17
09-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I agree with PL. Dances are fine. I think it is hilarious though when San Diego fans/players/announcers get upset when others mimic the Merriman dance. That to me is good comedy. That's also why you need to mix up your celebrations.

It's not so much the mimicing the dance that bothers me. It does bother a lot of Charger fans, so I won't speak for everyone, but what bothers me personally is the timing.

Vernon Davis, in the last preseason game, did the Lights Out Dance. That's fine, its the risk Merriman runs. The difference between what he did, and what Ellis Hobbs did, is the timing.

Davis did it in the middle of a game, to celebrate a big play.

Hobbs did it after the game, to taunt the fans, and not Merriman.

No celebrations have class, but some have more then others.

Borat
09-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Yeah, you're right, it does bother a lot of SD fans. And that announcer, Bumbling Ray Smith or whatever he goes by, I thought he was going to throw a temper-tantrum when Vernon did it. I guess he didn't know VD and Merriman were boys.

JK17
09-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah, you're right, it does bother a lot of SD fans. And that announcer, Bumbling Ray Smith or whatever he goes by, I thought he was going to throw a temper-tantrum when Vernon did it. I guess he didn't know VD and Merriman were boys.

I think most Charger fans didn't know that either, judging by the boos he had rain down on him...

Average OT LB
09-05-2007, 09:10 PM
It's not so much the mimicing the dance that bothers me. It does bother a lot of Charger fans, so I won't speak for everyone, but what bothers me personally is the timing.

Vernon Davis, in the last preseason game, did the Lights Out Dance. That's fine, its the risk Merriman runs. The difference between what he did, and what Ellis Hobbs did, is the timing.

Davis did it in the middle of a game, to celebrate a big play.

Hobbs did it after the game, to taunt the fans, and not Merriman.

No celebrations have class, but some have more then others.

bamm grade A post right there...

I'm a charger fan and it makes sense that VD was friends with lights but i didnt really put it together at the time because i dont often think about the colleges and the pasts of players when they are in the nfl..

sdpads24
09-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I think most Charger fans didn't know that either, judging by the boos he had rain down on him...

I was one of those people booing VD. I don't it's necessary for him to do that, whether they are friends or not. VD new that he would get that reaction from the fans that he did and it was purely to spark the fans and that's what I dislike most about it.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I was one of those people booing VD. I don't it's necessary for him to do that, whether they are friends or not. VD new that he would get that reaction from the fans that he did and it was purely to spark the fans and that's what I dislike most about it.

You guys should welcome it so you get a chance to boo and get fired up. I've always thought the dance and celebrations were cool, but I also thought it would fire the other team up seeing you do something like that, especially Ocho Cinco's stupid ass. If I was on the field, I would want to murder him.

JK17
09-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Personally it just didn't bother me as much. Things like the playoff game, those bothered me, mainly because they are not aimed at the team, or during the game.

My thoughts on it, are that even thought its his "signature", if he's going to try and look good after making big plays, he has to risk being mocked as well.

For example, I loveedd seeing Mario "ballin'".

someone447
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Personally it just didn't bother me as much. Things like the playoff game, those bothered me, mainly because they are not aimed at the team, or during the game.

My thoughts on it, are that even thought its his "signature", if he's going to try and look good after making big plays, he has to risk being mocked as well.

For example, I loveedd seeing Mario "ballin'".

I love when taunts are directed at the fans, AFTER WINNING AN IMPORTANT/RIVALRY GAME ONLY!!! Athletes absolutely thrive on boos from an opposing crowd, nothing is better than seeing/hearing the opposing crowd shut up after a big play or a loss. Fans constantly yell things at players, so it is only fair that after a big win the players do something back to the fans, as long as it is tasteful(which means, no obscenity.) I even didn't have a problem with Randy Moss' mooning of Packer fans, in fact, I think it was a funny gesture, considering Packer fans moon opposing teams busses when they leave.

Average OT LB
09-05-2007, 09:21 PM
You guys should welcome it so you get a chance to boo and get fired up. I've always thought the dance and celebrations were cool, but I also thought it would fire the other team up seeing you do something like that, especially Ocho Cinco's stupid ass. If I was on the field, I would want to murder him.

I dont konw if they have anger management classes around where you live but id advise you to find some...

dances are all in good humor and should be taken as such... ESPECIALLY what CJ does.. there is a difference between say using a pylon as a golf club, and say standing on the star in the middle of the field... ones funny.. ones not

merrimans sack dance is pure energy. why dont people take issue of ray lewis's dance? its pure energy just before the game..

JK17
09-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I love when taunts are directed at the fans, AFTER WINNING AN IMPORTANT/RIVALRY GAME ONLY!!! Athletes absolutely thrive on boos from an opposing crowd, nothing is better than seeing/hearing the opposing crowd shut up after a big play or a loss. Fans constantly yell things at players, so it is only fair that after a big win the players do something back to the fans, as long as it is tasteful(which means, no obscenity.) I even didn't have a problem with Randy Moss' mooning of Packer fans, in fact, I think it was a funny gesture, considering Packer fans moon opposing teams busses when they leave.

Haha, well maybe I just took offense because I was a Charger fan...which would be totally understandable...

I dont know though, in general I feel like the fans are the only reason the players are there in the first place, even visiting fans ticket money goes to paying player salaries. So I don't know, things like that just bother me. Taunt players all you want though, in the game.

sdpads24
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM

I don't exactly welcome things like what VD did, but if it would fire up the team I just hope it's something i don't get a glimpse of.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I dont konw if they have anger management classes around where you live but id advise you to find some...

dances are all in good humor and should be taken as such... ESPECIALLY what CJ does.. there is a difference between say using a pylon as a golf club, and say standing on the star in the middle of the field... ones funny.. ones not

merrimans sack dance is pure energy. why dont people take issue of ray lewis's dance? its pure energy just before the game..

You wouldn't get mad if he proposed to a cheerleader on the sideline after a TD? I'd be pissed off as hell, and on the next series, I'd wanna hit him hard. When someone is acting stupid, and you're playing your heart out, that sometimes makes you mad.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-05-2007, 09:26 PM
I actually really wanna see someone Juke or Truck Merriman and get a TD, and then do the lights out dance in the endzone.

JK17
09-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I actually really wanna see someone Juke or Truck Merriman and get a TD, and then do the lights out dance in the endzone.

Todd Heap really missed his chance to do that one....

I think I would hide in shame in such an event...Although Cutler doing it this year is probably inevitable.

someone447
09-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Haha, well maybe I just took offense because I was a Charger fan...which would be totally understandable...

I dont know though, in general I feel like the fans are the only reason the players are there in the first place, even visiting fans ticket money goes to paying player salaries. So I don't know, things like that just bother me. Taunt players all you want though, in the game.

One of the biggest problems with the NFL right now is the lack of rivalries. Teams don't hate each other anymore. The NFC North and the AFC West are somewhat exceptions, but not to the extent it used to be. Taunting fans/players/teams might get some of that back and help the league, that's why I like the taunts after the games. I don't have a problem with an occasional celebration after a big play, but not after every one of them. I liked the standing on the star thing, it may have been classless but it sure got the fans fired up.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
See, Cutler hates Merriman's dancing antics, but loves Merriman. He believes in loving people, since he is Jesus and everything. I don't think he even did the robo-boogie when he threw the perfect strike to Walker.

Average OT LB
09-05-2007, 09:34 PM
You wouldn't get mad if he proposed to a cheerleader on the sideline after a TD? I'd be pissed off as hell, and on the next series, I'd wanna hit him hard. When someone is acting stupid, and you're playing your heart out, that sometimes makes you mad.

i wouldnt want to hit a guy who just got married! marriage is a beautiful thing. a games a game so i wouldnt let him walk all over me but i certainly wouldnt want to get vengence to any degree.. those things are completely fine

to piss me off, they have to do just that. Piss ME off, attack me or my teammates in some way. Putting a ball doing an irish jig or dancing ike ray lewis is all in good fun.. even pulling out a cell phone and a sharpie.. all good

Average OT LB
09-05-2007, 09:37 PM
One of the biggest problems with the NFL right now is the lack of rivalries. Teams don't hate each other anymore. The NFC North and the AFC West are somewhat exceptions, but not to the extent it used to be. Taunting fans/players/teams might get some of that back and help the league, that's why I like the taunts after the games. I don't have a problem with an occasional celebration after a big play, but not after every one of them. I liked the standing on the star thing, it may have been classless but it sure got the fans fired up.

teams dont hate each other because of free angency... the player you hated may be on your team the next year. That is the only reason why rivalries have died down. Plus players are more friendly and there are rules against certain things that could have furthered a feud

someone447
09-05-2007, 09:53 PM
teams dont hate each other because of free angency... the player you hated may be on your team the next year. That is the only reason why rivalries have died down. Plus players are more friendly and there are rules against certain things that could have furthered a feud

The Randy Moss thing sure has widened the rift between the Packers and Vikings.

steelernation77
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM

I think there's definitely some teams that hate eachother in the AFC North.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWbbcIOVfVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeQEjaoAma8&mode=related&search=

Average OT LB
09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
The Randy Moss thing sure has widened the rift between the Packers and Vikings.

i dont agree.. the moss thing widened the rift between moss and the packers.. then moss left and they have retained the rivalry with no added demension from moss

locseti
09-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Every game the Raiders play against the AFC West is a rivalry game. And Urlacher's right, that dance is faggoty

nfrillman
09-05-2007, 10:35 PM
I would have to agree that an element of hatred really adds to a rivalry. I'm not sure how many of you get to see the Rams-Seahawks games, but they are pretty intense. Not much love lost between those teams. I know it is not a historic rivalry, but it is one of the most heated ones in the league. It's right up there with the Texans and Cardinals........there's no love lost between these incompetently matched rivals.

YAYareaRB
09-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I like that he does the dance. It adds to the emotion of the game.. Something that is missing in some games. He promised to tone it down so I don't know why Urlacher is getting his panties ruffled.

Average OT LB
09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I like that he does the dance. It adds to the emotion of the game.. Something that is missing in some games. He promised to tone it down so I don't know why Urlacher is getting his panties ruffled.

thankyou very much for seeing the light

locseti
09-05-2007, 11:46 PM
In additon to "Cheater" and "lamest dance," he can also claim the title of weakest tattoo. "So big guy, what'll it be?" "Oh, a picture of a little hand flicking off a light switch"

Xenos
09-06-2007, 12:21 AM
I think he's trying to make the point that it's important to keep an even keel out there. He's saying that bad plays are just as significant as sacks, and that dancing after each sack makes it seem as though that's all that matters to Merriman.

Merriman isn't Marcellus Wiley. He doesn't dance after a sack when we're down by twenty points.

Xenos
09-06-2007, 12:35 AM

The Chargers are just upset that NE was smart enough to do it after the game, instead of during.

duckseason
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Merriman isn't Marcellus Wiley. He doesn't dance after a sack when we're down by twenty points.
Yeah, never said he did. Just trying to provide insight into what Urlacher may have meant with that comment.

no love
09-06-2007, 02:03 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the origin of the "lights out" nickname. He got it because he knocked out a bunch of people in high school. Because he celebrates that nickname which is based on that reason alone is why I hate it. Anyone who glorifies hurting other NFL players is showing just a lack of respect for his fellow NFL player, imagine if someone had just done the lights out dance after knocking unconscious LT or Rivers, it's kind of disgusting.

What if Matt Lepsis got the nickname knee buckle and did a wobbly dance every time he leg whipped someone and injured them. Or if Roy "Horse Collar" Williams did a giddy up everytime he horse collared someone?

Oh, that and it looks stupid. =P

awfullyquiet
09-06-2007, 04:06 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the origin of the "lights out" nickname. He got it because he knocked out a bunch of people in high school. Because he celebrates that nickname which is based on that reason alone is why I hate it. Anyone who glorifies hurting other NFL players is showing just a lack of respect for his fellow NFL player, imagine if someone had just done the lights out dance after knocking unconscious LT or Rivers, it's kind of disgusting.

it's the roid rage.

i really am disgusted by merriman as a profesional.
urlacher is totally right though. he looks like a pooper scooper doing is dance.

D-Unit
09-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Shawne Merriman = No Class

DeMarcus Ware = Class

SFbear
09-06-2007, 01:20 PM

How great would it be if that someone was Garrett Wolfe aka Mighty Mouse?

Average OT LB
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM

What if Matt Lepsis got the nickname knee buckle and did a wobbly dance every time he leg whipped someone and injured them. Or if Roy "Horse Collar" Williams did a giddy up everytime he horse collared someone?

Oh, that and it looks stupid. =P

He is celebrating a nick name which he was given, he is not celebrating how he got it. How he got it is not directly connected to what his nickname has become...

i find it disgusting that you can draw out a problem from a non issue.

Average OT LB
09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Shawne Merriman = No Class

DeMarcus Ware = Class

Shawne Merriman = Has to do with the conversation

DeMarcus Ware = not apart of the conversationnn

bearfan
09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Shawne Merriman = Has to do with the conversation

DeMarcus Ware = not apart of the conversationnn

D-Unit = Admin

You = .....

D-Unit
09-06-2007, 05:46 PM
D-Unit = Admin

You = .....
Ha ha ha... Funny bearfan. +rep!

trkaline
09-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Burn...anyway this is definantly a personal thing between Urlacher and Merriman seeing as how Merriman said he's gonna be toning it down this season. It is understandable as Urlacher is a professional and got that way through hard training and thats it, while Merriman took the hard training and shooting between your toes route....

Shiver
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Burn...anyway this is definantly a personal thing between Urlacher and Merriman seeing as how Merriman said he's gonna be toning it down this season. It is understandable as Urlacher is a professional and got that way through hard training and thats it, while Merriman took the hard training and shooting between your toes route....

Who are you to say that Urlacher has never taken anything? Last time I checked he is bigger and faster than any O-Lineman was twenty to thirty years ago. Gene Upshaw, for example, was a hall of fame LT at 6'5" 255-lbs, almost identical to Urlacher's size now.

bearsfan_51
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Who are you to say that Urlacher has never taken anything? Last time I checked he is bigger and faster than any O-Lineman was twenty to thirty years ago. Gene Upshaw, for example, was a hall of fame LT at 6'5" 255-lbs, almost identical to Urlacher's size now.
Gene Upshaw, there's a relavent comparison.

I don't know if Urlacher has ever taken anything, but he hasn't gotten caught taking anything, so putting him and Merriman on the same level is foolish. I may have murdered someone, you can't prove that I haven't, but because of that they shouldn't let the guy in jail who actually did murder someone free.

DChess
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
you do realize merriman is going to eat at his face when he sees him

someone447
09-06-2007, 06:26 PM

I don't know if Urlacher has ever taken anything, but he hasn't gotten caught taking anything, so putting him and Merriman on the same level is foolish. I may have murdered someone, you can't prove that I haven't, but because of that they shouldn't let the guy in jail who actually did murder someone free.

Honestly, at this point in time, you almost have to assume every pro athlete has taken something. There may be those select few that haven't but I would bet that the majority of professional athletes, and about half of college athletes have.

But, on the other hand, maybe I am just cynical.

Smokey Joe
09-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Urlacher would destroy Merriman in a fight... and Urlacher wouldn't even have to use steroids.

litlharsh
09-07-2007, 12:22 AM
I hate Merriman so much. I used to love him, but I just hate hate hate him.

EDIT: But as a Vikings' fan, it's almost obligatory (and inherent) that I hate Urlacher too. But at least he doesn't shoot up.

awfullyquiet
09-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Urlacher would destroy Merriman in a fight... and Urlacher wouldn't even have to use steroids.

urlacher would roar.
and merriman would run.

Shiver
09-07-2007, 02:15 AM

Yes it is. He's as big, but still faster and stronger than any O-Lineman back in the 70s. As are a lot of players in today's NFL. Tackles went from being 260-lbs to 330-lbs, Guards went from being 230-lbs to today where a 295-lbs Guard is "undersized." Maybe I am just a cynic but I think it's reasonable to have suspicion regarding most of the so-called "freak" athletes today

I don't know if Urlacher has ever taken anything, but he hasn't gotten caught taking anything, so putting him and Merriman on the same level is foolish. I may have murdered someone, you can't prove that I haven't, but because of that they shouldn't let the guy in jail who actually did murder someone free.I just think it's rather ridiculous for posters to denounce Merriman and praise Urlacher when for all they know he could be on it too. All we do know is Merriman is stupid for being caught.

trkaline
09-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Maybe Urlacher just grew up next to a toxic waste dump......no he stuffs his uniform with toilet paper thats it.. wants to feel all big and manly....

Addict
09-07-2007, 07:54 AM
urlacher would roar.
and merriman would run.

they stand opposite of each other, Urlacher relaxed, Merriman nervous as hell. Urlacher blows his nose... Merriman blows his load.

bigbluedefense
09-07-2007, 09:19 AM
I have suspicions about Urlacher. He didn't come into the league that big. Then he grew in size, and didn't lose any speed? Hmmm, thats a little fishy if you ask me.

Plus, a coordinator for the Cowboys, who got caught buying steroids worked for the Bears during the time his body grew out. Im not saying thats evidence, but it does make you think a little bit.

Urlacher is innocent until proven guilty. But he is one of the many players, that wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he was in fact using illegal substances. Thats why I refuse to kill Merriman for something that I know damn well, 1, 2, maybe even 3 or 4 of the players on my own team are probably using as we speak.

someone447
09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
I have suspicions about Urlacher. He didn't come into the league that big. Then he grew in size, and didn't lose any speed? Hmmm, thats a little fishy if you ask me.

Plus, a coordinator for the Cowboys, who got caught buying steroids worked for the Bears during the time his body grew out. Im not saying thats evidence, but it does make you think a little bit.

Urlacher is innocent until proven guilty. But he is one of the many players, that wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he was in fact using illegal substances. Thats why I refuse to kill Merriman for something that I know damn well, 1, 2, maybe even 3 or 4 of the players on my own team are probably using as we speak.

Like I said earlier, I would be incredibly surprised if the percentage of people in professional sports using was under 50%. Probably higher among starters.

Shiver
09-07-2007, 01:01 PM
oh come on.

fine, that's like anyone on earth hating vick for fighting dogs, etc. because for all they know, i'm doing it, too. or, for all they know, peyton manning or tom brady is doing it, too. i mean, you can't prove they aren't, right?

that's horrible logic. the day that urlacher gets caught, you can throw him into the same pit with merriman. until then, merriman is the ONLY one of the two who's a proven user, thus, he gets the blame for being the ONLY proven user.

He's massive and fast! That's reason enough to have suspicions that he isn't natural. Your example makes no sense because there is no circumstantial evidence. Jon Jansen said that he anticipates that 40% of the league is on Human Growth Hormone. Is it that unreasonable to conclude that a lot of the 'freak' athletes in the league are on something that helps them play like 'freaks'?

duckseason
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
He's massive and fast! That's reason enough to have suspicions that he isn't natural. Your example makes no sense because there is no circumstantial evidence. Jon Jansen said that he anticipates that 40% of the league is on Human Growth Hormone. Is it that unreasonable to conclude that a lot of the 'freak' athletes in the league are on something that helps them play like 'freaks'?

I think it would be just as reasonable to assume that a lot of the fringe guys are using HGH just to keep up with the "freak" athletes and keep a job. I'd actually say that scenario is more likely.

TitleTown088
09-07-2007, 01:27 PM
so do you hate our own Barnett when he does his "chop"?

Sure do, I find it extreamly annoying .

bearsfan_51
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
That's not true. Wade Wilson (who was our QB coach btw) was hired in 2004, Urlacher increased in size well before that.

Also, Wilson didn't buy steroids. People use steroids as a euphamism to cover any performance-enhancing drugs. They aren't the same thing. He also issued a lengthy statement explaining how they were delivered to his house and that nobody else knew about it. Could he be lying? Sure. But I find it hard to believe that Urlacher, or anyone else for that matter, wouldn't have someone less traceable handle it for them.

bigbluedefense
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
That's not true. Wade Wilson (who was our QB coach btw) was hired in 2004, Urlacher increased in size well before that.

Also, Wilson didn't buy steroids. People use steroids as a euphamism to cover any performance-enhancing drugs. They aren't the same thing. He also issued a lengthy statement explaining how they were delivered to his house and that nobody else knew about it. Could he be lying? Sure. But I find it hard to believe that Urlacher, or anyone else for that matter, wouldn't have someone less traceable handle it for them.

I stand corrected.

Im still pretty sure that there are tons of high profile athletes on it though.

yodabear
09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
I hate Merriman too. That stupid little ******* dance he does after every ******* play he makes. Whoot, I just stopped u for a 6-yard gain, LIGHTS OUT! Oooooh, I just blew by Ritchie Incognito, LIGHTS OUT! He did the roids, he tested positive, and that just added to my hatrid of him. And he spells his name like a fruitcake.

Shiver
09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Why is it ridiculous? Cynical, perhaps. I'm not saying Urlacher should share blame with Merriman. The only ridiculous stance is from the posters here who are trashing Merriman while erroneously stating that Urlacher has done what he has down "without juicing." How do they know? All I am saying is that for all we know he could be on it to. It's presumptuous to assume that any athlete is 100% clean, especially in today's culture. I don't think Urlacher should receive blame, I don't think he should receive praise for doing it "clean" either. I am more than content with pleading ignorance until an athlete is stupid enough (Palmerio, Merriman, etc) to get caught.

Shiver
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
It isn't just Urlacher, mind you. I am suspicious of the entire NFL. The sizes of players have grown exponentially in the last 15-30 years. In Baseball everyone ignored the growing sizes of its players and sure enough it came out that most of the best players of the 90s and 00s were on something. Yet we are to assume that Merriman is the only guy who took something? I don't buy it.

By your logic Rodney Harrison is clean. He wasn't caught by any testing method, but rather a federal investigation. There are plenty of drugs like HGH and designer steroids that are undetectable by NFL drug testing.

JK17
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
on the other hand, one can point to what are likely numerous clean tests from urlacher as proof that he's clean. one can also point to one failed test by merriman and say that, at that point, he was dirty.

cynicality is one thing, but i find making the argument that people who like urlacher shouldn't able to point to his test results to this point and presume innoncence based on those results seems bizarre to me.

I agree with that, and I don't think its so bad in the NFL yet that we have to assume players are violating the rules like that, but you have to remember Merriman also passed 19 other steroid tests, so its entirely possible there are ways to circumvent the system.

Although I certainly don't want to accuse Urlacher of being on some banned supplement, and there is no solid evidence to suggest he is, whatsoever, but it is possible to pass those tests apparently.

JK17
09-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Merriman's response..

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09/07/sports/professional/chargers/22_37_069_6_07.txt

Merriman returns fire to Urlacher

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- The war of words is on even before the "Lights Out" dance makes its first appearance of the season.

Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher delivered some stinging criticism of Shawne Merriman's trademark celebration in Chicago newspapers earlier this week, and the Chargers' star linebacker responded in explosive fashion Thursday.

"Say what you want, but you have bigger problems than my 'Lights Out' dance Sunday," said Merriman, referring to the day the two teams meet at Qualcomm Stadium. "I wouldn't be too concentrated on my dance or what I do."

Urlacher made the following comments about Merriman's flamboyant dance, which includes frantic leg kicks and ferocious fist pumps: "The thing is, if you're going to do it, do it all the time. Do it when you make a bad play, too. You'll never see me doing any stupid (stuff) like that after a play. The only thing I'll do is get a little happy with my teammates."

Merriman said he wasn't surprised by Urlacher's comments and said they will have no effect on him.

"Nothing they can say or do can fire me up more than I already am," Merriman said. "It doesn't matter. People have took shots at me before ---- players, people period ---- so that stuff doesn't even break the first layer of my skin."

Asked if he knows Urlacher, Merriman responded: "No. I really don't care to know him, actually. ... I've got plenty of things to say about him, but it's not important. I'll see him Sunday."

At one point, Merriman rose from his locker stool, grabbed his shoulder pads and began shaking them, making a smacking noise. He said the pads will be speaking a lot for him Sunday, and he was asked if Urlacher would be able to hear the smacking.

"Oh, he'll hear it," Merriman said. "Ever hear of the Fourth of July when you're outside? You don't have to see the fireworks, but you can hear them."

Merriman then slapped the pads together again.

"That's all the talking I need to do right there," Merriman said.

Addict
09-07-2007, 03:18 PM
on the other hand, one can point to what are likely numerous clean tests from urlacher as proof that he's clean. one can also point to one failed test by merriman and say that, at that point, he was dirty.

cynicality is one thing, but i find making the argument that people who like urlacher shouldn't able to point to his test results to this point and presume innoncence based on those results seems bizarre to me.

I'm not following here, what are you saying?

regoob2
09-07-2007, 07:06 PM
these are the dumbest explanations ever. 30 minutes of my life ill never have back

VoteLynnSwan
09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
It isn't just Urlacher, mind you. I am suspicious of the entire NFL. The sizes of players have grown exponentially in the last 15-30 years. In Baseball everyone ignored the growing sizes of its players and sure enough it came out that most of the best players of the 90s and 00s were on something. Yet we are to assume that Merriman is the only guy who took something? I don't buy it.

By your logic Rodney Harrison is clean. He wasn't caught by any testing method, but rather a federal investigation. There are plenty of drugs like HGH and designer steroids that are undetectable by NFL drug testing.

tell me then when Brian Urlacher was linked to any kind of performance inhancing drug by a federal investigation.