PDA

View Full Version : Ah. Week 1.

awfullyquiet
09-06-2007, 03:22 AM
any thoughts on how it'll go?

because, i'm thinking it'll be loads of fun any way we look at it.
i was talking with my brother and how this will probably be one of the best matchups of the season period. and it happens week one. what a way to start it off.

this is what i think the gamebreakers will be.

chargers offense vs bears defense

rivers/gates vs the deep three (urlacher, AA and brown).

if gates find holes in the zone. he will have receptions, receptions, and even more receptions. especially with a greater focus on containing LT. rivers and gates will have their hands full though. It's probable (if not likely) that there will be a few tipped passes and a pick or two when rivers looks to gates.

olivia and mcneil vs anderson and wale

here's probably the key to the bears holding victory. if anderson and wale ca push the pocket inside on run-d (and by anderson i also mean alex brown) causing LT with his infinite vision to want to go inside consistantly will force him to run into the DT's and quick LB's in the middle of the field. to keep him from running off tackle is key. watching him on screens is also clutch. i don't see anderson and wale having that great of sucess on that though.

chargers defense vs bears offense.

florence and jammer vs moose, berrian and bradley.

the chargers biggest weakness is their secondary. they get bailed out all the time by the ferocious pass rush. florence has to focus on berrian and berrian only. he's shown a tendency to get distracted by slot guys running right at him while he's in man coverage and will let one right by him, saw it twice in the pre-season. look for classic play action, second play, grossman to berrian to burn for a TD. jammer isn't the best tackler and will probably see bradley in his radar often with his elusiveness. the bears will exploit the corners with or without greg olsen.

cooper and wilhem vs benson

are not godfrey and edwards, but. will be able to contain benson to some extent (assuming olshanky, williams and castillo bunch up). i don't believe the chicago running game will really be anything more than an attempt to establish the run (which is the bears focus, duh). BUT. if benson gets out of the backfield in PA plays, cooper and wilhem aren't very good in coverage, unlike edwards, who was the primary cover LB out of the four last year, he's now back in KC. verdict? benson will have maybe 80 yds on ~20 carries. expect 10 looks too (split between him and peterson...)

thoughts? other matchups. i'm bored. it's late.

bearsfan_51
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Grossman is dogshit under pressure (and sometimes not under pressure). The Chargers are the best blitzing team in the NFL. Unless Berrian can burn them deep multiple times and Benson can make them pay, I really don't like our chances at all.

On the bright side it's week 1, and after that the schedule picks up rather nicely.

awfullyquiet
09-06-2007, 05:18 PM
will the line be able to contain merriman and olshankey?

Bearsfan123
09-06-2007, 11:14 PM
simple asnwer no. But then again if our game plan is designed for seven step drops, then Ron Turner needs to be run out of town. It should be alot of 3 step drops ball goes. And alot of draws and running..alot of running.

awfullyquiet
09-07-2007, 12:16 AM
simple asnwer no. But then again if our game plan is designed for seven step drops, then Ron Turner needs to be run out of town. It should be alot of 3 step drops ball goes. And alot of draws and running..alot of running.

agreed.
a lot of running.

Smokey Joe
09-08-2007, 11:33 PM
well, luckily for me I have to be at school tomorrow at 5:00 for football (lifting, running, and watching film). So basically I will be gone from 4:30 to 8:00. I'll be able to watch the first quarter and then have to tivo the rest... hopefully some D-Bag doesn't blurt out the score while I'm there.

I officially hate high school football.

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I'll sky write it tomorrow for you.

look up. you'll see victory. but by a small margin.

robert_in_bigd
09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
U guyz need a Professional QB.

D looks great.

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
U guyz need a Professional QB.

D looks great.
Rex wasn't the problem this game.

bearfan
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Rex wasn't the problem this game.

Benson isnt looking like the answer. His play up to this point has me worried..a lot. I think that if he continues like this, we look at RB in the upcoming draft or 2.

Defense was great today, but by the end, due to turnovers they looked tired

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 06:09 PM
It's one ******* game. Seriously.

Hurricane Ditka
09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
This game had some freaky **** go down. No doubt. Peterson and Benson need to hold on to the rock, and Rex needs to step up. On the bright side, KC got rocked by Houston, and they come to Solider next week. On the even shittier side, the rest of the division won.

bearfan
09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
It's one ******* game. Seriously.

I know not to judge after 1 game, and I know that preseason doesnt mean a thing, but Benson has looked like crap. Besides his 11 yard run, and the pass where he ran past Merriman, he didnt do much. I am Pro-Benson, and I know that SDs defense is good, but I expected more out of him.

Bearsfan123
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Rex looked fine. Not good, not bad, just fine. Benson needs to step up or step down. Im giving him 2 more games. He doesnt show management any better and Ill expect another back either picked up or drafted.

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Rex looked fine. Not good, not bad, just fine. Benson needs to step up or step down. Im giving him 2 more games. He doesnt show management any better and Ill expect another back either picked up or drafted.
Who are we going to pick up in week 3? That makes absolutely no sense. At best they could give Peterson more carries, but Benson is the best back we have for this season.

Xiomera
09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Bears Sucks! Lions Rule!

Well, sort of . . .

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Bears Sucks! Lions Rule!

Well, sort of . . .

It's so true.....so true...

awfullyquiet
09-09-2007, 06:29 PM
See, I think everyone neglects to realize is that SD is one of the top run stuffing teams in the league.

Sure, Benson's not proven as much as LT, but hell, Benson had more yards than LT (ish). Why isn't everyone calling for LT to be benched for Turner? Rubbish.

Berrian didn't play the that INT in the red zone at all. He didn't do anyone any favors. I mean, we will RUN OVER the chiefs next week. We proved we can hold a big RB down, and KC's defense is weak. So. Chalk up next week today kids.

GB12
09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Bears are in last place, god they're terrible.

Don't worry, the rest of the division will get their asses handed to them when they play the Chargers.

Bearsfan123
09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Who are we going to pick up in week 3? That makes absolutely no sense. At best they could give Peterson more carries, but Benson is the best back we have for this season.

i meant in the offseason. Id expect Angelo to tell Benson that if he isnt playing better by week three, hed better expect to be second fiddle again next year.

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 06:40 PM
i meant in the offseason. Id expect Angelo to tell Benson that if he isnt playing better by week three, hed better expect to be second fiddle again next year.
Yeah that makes sense. Our GM should tear down our starting runningback's confidence with 13 games left in the schedule and nobody else to turn to. They should give you a job tomorrow.

Hurricane Ditka
09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Wolfe is our only running back who knows how to carry the football, Peterson and Benson need to keep it closer to their bodies.

regoob2
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
it was a bad game but the bears orginazation sticks with players, i.e. grossman. there not gonna bench benson, i still believe he will be better than Jones. The Chargers also aren't a bad team. He didnt have a lot of running lanes and when he did he did alright. It's only week 1. I'm just as pissed as anyone cause we out played them for 3 quarters or so but whatcha gonna do. I wanna a super bowl not a week 1 win. Its a long season.

SFbear
09-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Mike Brown was crying in his press conference so I think he knows hes done. And I mean done, done. Dvoracek also got hurt, don't know how severe. I don't think we can expect the kind of defensive performance we had in the first half for the rest of year without these two players.

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 07:19 PM
As harsh as it is, I'd rather Brown get hurt now than week 8 or 9. He just can't be relied on for anything anymore. If we can't rebound without him so be it, but with Arch I think our run defense will be fine, and Manning is just as good in pass coverage.

awfullyquiet
09-09-2007, 07:43 PM
As harsh as it is, I'd rather Brown get hurt now than week 8 or 9. He just can't be relied on for anything anymore. If we can't rebound without him so be it, but with Arch I think our run defense will be fine, and Manning is just as good in pass coverage.

agreed. Manning isn't the playmaker that brown is. Plus, we don't 'really' know what Brown is up to. Dusty is a loss IMO. but now we look like the smart ones who stocked up on DT's and S's in the offseason... hahaha. uh. yeah.

SFbear
09-09-2007, 08:01 PM

I don't disagree with that. Its just that Brown brings something intangible to the defense and it amazes me how this guy is always in the right place to make a big play like the interception and the fumble recovery. Also coincidence or not, immediately after Brown got hurt is when we started loosening up on run D.

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Now, Grossman doesn't get all the blame, but he gets a lot of it. First off, how do you get sacked twice right in the face? That baffles me. Also, today showed me Rex Grossman is not a Superbowl (winning) QB. He just doesn't have "it", he can't lead a team on his back. And would it kill him to make some audibles sometime? I WOULD love to see him make an audible. I'm not talking Peyton Manning audibles, but just adjust to the defense.

Also, the O-Line did a great job of giving Rex time in the pocket vs. such a good pass rushing team, but their run blocking was just so f'ing bad. Benson had pretty much no holes, but I was impressed on how well he ran when he did get an opening. However, he can't freaking cough up the ball like that, same with Peterson. Those fumbles are about as frustrating as Grossman's dropped snaps.

And the time of possession was just terrible.

The bright spot today, the Defense rocked and gets an A+++ from me. They held the best RB, bar none, in the NFL to only 27 rushing yards or whatever, and don't let them score until pretty much the 4th quarter. And both of SD's scoring drives came after f'n turnovers. The Defense was terrific, that's all I can say. When you hold the what was the best offense in football (last season) to only 14 points, that's a game you win.

k0ng
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
What happened to Dusty? I didn't see him get hurt.

bearfan
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, the defense looked like the #1 defense in the NFL...the offense looked pedestrian. And I guess some of my dissapointment in Benson was overreaction, the line did play bad. I still think he needs to show the city that he is "the back".

And on Grossman, like someone said, he didnt play good, or bad, but in the middle. And Smoky you put it good too, he couldnt make anything happen.

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Grossman today looked like a decent QB. Someone you'd see playing on like the vikings. Not bad, but not a QB that's gonna lead the team and take (and win) the superbowl for the team. Now, watching the Cowboy-Giants game, Tony Romo (as much as I hate him) looks like a superbowl QB. He has "it".

BuckNaked
09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Grossman today looked like a decent QB. Someone you'd see playing on like the vikings. Not bad, but not a QB that's gonna lead the team and take (and win) the superbowl for the team. Now, watching the Cowboy-Giants game, Tony Romo (as much as I hate him) looks like a superbowl QB. He has "it".

You guys all seem to forget that 3 years ago we had a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. Now we always seem to be known as that team with the crappy quarterback.

GB12
09-09-2007, 10:14 PM
You guys all seem to forget that 3 years ago we had a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. Now we always seem to be known as that team with the crappy quarterback.

Well the Bears had a top QB, uhhhh...

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I mean like in the present. Stop living in the past man.

BuckNaked
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I mean like in the present. Stop living in the past man.

Why would I live in the past if we've never won a Super Bowl? It's not even like we have any glory days to look back on. Damn, i'm going to make myself depressed.

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Why would I live in the past if we've never won a Super Bowl? It's not even like we have any glory days to look back on. Damn, i'm going to make myself depressed.
good... ;)

Hurricane Ditka
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I'd like to remind you that trolling in another teams forum is not cool. And I'm in a bad mood.

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I'd like to remind you that trolling in another teams forum is not cool. And I'm in a bad mood.
leave bucky alone HD.... afterall, this is bat country! :D

Bearsfan123
09-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Now, Grossman doesn't get all the blame, but he gets a lot of it. First off, how do you get sacked twice right in the face? That baffles me. Also, today showed me Rex Grossman is not a Superbowl (winning) QB. He just doesn't have "it", he can't lead a team on his back. And would it kill him to make some audibles sometime? I WOULD love to see him make an audible. I'm not talking Peyton Manning audibles, but just adjust to the defense.

Sorry I disagree with this. If you look at our last possesion you'll see Grossman making throws and getting in rythm. Then, right then, Turner decides to go "Hey, I think we'll run now." Then runs what pretty much looked like the exact same play 3 times in a row causing us to turn the ball over. Did we even attempt an outside run the entire game?

As to how does he get sacked twice in the face. Yeah he should feel the pressure but when a guy comes completely untouched and you're looking the other way, well im just surprised he didnt drop the ball.

As to the audible point, yeah i cant argue that. Id like to see him change plays.

So Im still unsure of our O-Coordinator. Our runningback hasnt shown me that he can be "the man," and Mike Brown can't stay healthy. As to the comment before about "destroying his confidence" well I dont care about his confidence because he hasnt shown me that he can hold onto the ball, stay healthy, and run effectively, consistenly.

Now to defend myself for the wave of critiscm im about to get. I defend Grossman not because im a fan of his, because I really have as many questions as I have optimistic thoughts. But he has been unfairly put under a microscope few players have to deal with. The type of scrutiny and blame he gets is insane. If he plays decent then people say his WRs played well. If the WRs drop balls its because Grossman didn't put it in the right place. If the defense doesn't play well, then Grossman didnt keep the offense on the field long enough. Somehow everything that goes wrong is Grossman's fault and its insanity. I would like to see him do well, but if he can just improve on today's outing by a little bit then Ill be satisfied.

Benson came out, cried with happiness about becoming a Bear then held out of camp. Then got injured in his big chance to start. Then got injured in the next training camp. Then fumbled in the Super Bowl (which I maintain that we could have won if we had had both Jones and Benson running well) He wasnt on the sideline during a pre-season game for no good reason (this one i vaguely remember so it might be a misunderstanding on my part). My point is he has a bad attitude towards this team and instead of trying to make the fans understand during pre-season, again he treated it with his attitude of "its only pre-season" like he had nothing to prove. I just want him to give me a reason to want to root for him. He doesnt ever appear like hes fighting to do more. Obviously I want him to succeed, the Bears come first personal opinions second. I just want him to show me that he cares about the team instead of himself. And frankly I dont like him.

As a side-note I believe this game could have been completely different if Greg Olsen was available. His ability to get open would have helped Grossman IMO.

EDIT: Thank you all for your current and future Bears support. Go Bears! Bulls! and Illini!

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I agree about the comment of Ron Turner. I question a lot of his schemes/play calls.

As far as Benson goes, the only thing that he did bad at today was that fumble. He had practically no wholes, but when he did get an opening, he ran hard and always got the maximum yardage he could.

Bearsfan123
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7209680

this is what im talking about....

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 11:00 PM
The thing that nobody mentions is that Rivers had a bad game too. Rivers had about two throws that were even remotely difficult. Most of them were just hitches to the Gates or dump-offs to LT. The interception he threw was worse than most any I've seen Grossman throw. I've never even been much of a Grossman fan but this loss doesn't fall on him. We couldn't establish a running game and we turned the ball over 4 times. Period.