4. Chicago Bears
3. Indianapolis Colts

TimD
09-06-2007, 02:35 PM
norv turner....

JK17
09-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Even I went with San Diego here....

I feel we could, as could many other teams, certianly beat New England, and I would have no hesitation defending that statement, but with the consensus of NE being #1, in addition to the roster moves made and the combination of skill and coaching, any other argument would be too misconstured as homerism..

Although week 2, New England will lose.

skinzzfan25
09-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Norv winning a superbowl?

Hah.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I think New England is severely overrated. Just like the Carolina Panthers were a year ago. I think they will be good, but not as good as they look on paper. Since when did they trade for Randy Moss vintage '03? Last time I checked they got the beat up, worn out, shell of his former self Moss. Richard Seymour being out a significant amount of time offsets the addition of Adalius Thomas.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Norv winning a superbowl?

Hah.

That's not what this is for, merely picking the best teams top to bottom right now. Hence why it's called a "pre-season power ranking."

Ewing
09-06-2007, 02:54 PM
****, I thought I was voting for who's the best not who's runner-up. Change my vote to San Diego please.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 02:58 PM
****, I thought I was voting for who's the best not who's runner-up. Change my vote to San Diego please.

I wouldn't worry about it. There is no way New England loses this.

Geo
09-06-2007, 02:59 PM
If we're focusing on talent, the San Diego Chargers are the most talented team in the league.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:00 PM
I agree and that's why I voted for New England.

Ewing
09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
If we're focusing on talent, the San Diego Chargers are the most talented team in the league.

Yeah but if we're including talent AND coaching then New England wins hands down.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:06 PM
How good would Belicheck be if he didn't have Tom Brady? That's an impossible question to answer, obviously, but it makes you wonder just how different things would have been had Drew Bledsoe not been knocked out by Mo Lewis.

fenikz
09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
i voted for New England, but i really ment that they would win it all

Ewing
09-06-2007, 03:18 PM
How good would Belicheck be if he didn't have Tom Brady? That's an impossible question to answer, obviously, but it makes you wonder just how different things would have been had Drew Bledsoe not been knocked out by Mo Lewis.

Regardless, I'd rather have my shoe coach a team than Norv Turner.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I think it is safe to say that how San Diego does this year should be a prime example of why talent trumps coaching, or vice versa.

Geo
09-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Last year might have been the worst. Martyball would have won the game, the Patriots looked slow in comparison to LDT.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
I don't think Schottenheimer had anything to do with Eric Parker and Marlon McCree losing the game on the field, but I digress.

It wasn't Schottenheimer, it was Cameron. In fact, LaDainian recently tore Cameron apart.

Not so funny was that he walked off the turf at Qualcomm Stadium seething two weeks after that amazing regular season. It turns out his outburst regarding Patriots coach Bill Belichick after the Chargers' playoff loss might have been more accurately directed at his own offensive coordinator.

Tomlinson said recently “it would be fair” to say he was extremely angry about getting just five carries in the fourth quarter and nine in the second half against the Patriots.

“At times, Cam (Cameron) got it in his mind what we did well,” Tomlinson said of the former Chargers offensive coordinator, now the Miami Dolphins' head coach. “(It was Antonio) Gates does this well. This is what he's going to do, no matter what. LT does this well. This is what we're going to do no matter if people (stopped it). That's what Cam believed, even if it wasn't true.

“Norv (Turner) is more, 'These guys do a lot of things well, and they can do it well if we do it enough, if we teach them enough.' . . . Not only that, at some point Norv can say, 'This is what we're doing, and this is how we're going to adjust to it (if a team is stopping it). I didn't get the sense from Cam that was the case. We just kept doing what we did.”

But Tomlinson's anger also stemmed from frustration that a season that saw him win his first league MVP award crashed and burned with such mind-numbing suddenness. The Chargers self-destructed as much as anything in that playoff game, doomed by stupid penalties and stupid decisions.

It all sort of seemed inequitable for Tomlinson's season to end in such a sudden mess.

“You play the hand you're dealt,” he said. “That's how I look at it. . . . You hope that not only you learn – I learned a lot – but you hope other people do, too. And you leave it at that.”

So I think San Diego's loss last year was a combination of both. Poor decisions and bonehead plays on the field. They should have won the Super Bowl. I don't think it is fair, or true, to peg their collapse on anyone in particular.

Ewing
09-06-2007, 03:33 PM
So I think San Diego's loss last year was a combination of both. Poor decisions and bonehead plays on the field. They should have won the Super Bowl. I don't think it is fair, or true, to peg their collapse on anyone in particular.

You're wrong. The Chargers can always blame losses on one man...

http://sportsbye.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/ryan-leaf.jpg

Geo
09-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Tomlinson was a Cowboys fan growing up, maybe he thinks can win a Super Bowl with his HC like his 1995 Cowboys did with Barry Switzer (lol).

Heck, Blowhard Billick won a Super Bowl thanks to his front office/talent carrying him, and he's much worse as an offensive coordinator than Turner.

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
If we blame Schottenheimer for the loss against the Patriots, do we blame Belicheck for choking away an 18-point lead against Indianapolis?

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:37 PM
oh come on. you have the best running back in the game and you give him the ball four times in the 4th and expect me to believe that ISN'T coaching overcoming talent? they had the ball in a tie game with 4.36 left and they ran ONCE and instantly turned the ball over. what kind of idiot coach takes the game from the best running back in the league and gives it to a (essentially) rookie quarterback?

And it still wouldn't have been an issue if Marlon McCree doesn't fumble the game away.

Ewing
09-06-2007, 03:39 PM
If we blame Schottenheimer for the loss against the Patriots, do we blame Belicheck for choking away an 18-point lead against Indianapolis?

http://newsnuggets.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/caldwell.jpg

Shiver
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
http://newsnuggets.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/caldwell.jpg

Case in point.

Geo
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
njx must have missed the memo. We're now blaming Cameron for Marty's 1st quarter call to go for it on 4th and 7, instead of trying the 39-FG with "Pro Bowl" kicker Nate Kaeding.

Ewing
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
i don't read your memos. i burn them. for warmth.

I usually them to roll joints but that's a good use, too.

Geo
09-06-2007, 04:02 PM
This is an interesting question, actually.

I'd place some blame on Belichick for personnel decisions that reared their head in the game. If Deion Branch is on the roster, the Pats are very likely up there with the 70s Steelers as the only franchise/dynasty to win 4 SBs in 6 years. The team had/has needed to acquire more talented youth at DB and LB for some time, although the former didn't really come into play with how well Ellis Hobbs played. Being forced to start Eric Alexander wasn't something Belichick was thrilled about, I'm sure.

In terms of the gameplan, obviously Belichick put his team in position to win with them up 21-3 in the middle of the 2nd quarter. History won't remember this, but the Patriots were in position to bury the Colts. After the 21-3 score, the Patriots defense made another great stand and the Patriots offense had moved the ball to the Colts' 40. But an offensive interference call on Troy Brown (called for making a pick on a defender) and a weird sack on Brady where he heard Freeney before he was actually there prevented them from making it 28-3 or even 24-3 and potentially ending the Colts' hopes. Don't know if you can blame Belichick there.

Did Belichick do a bad job of halftime adjustments? Or did his 3-4 defense, simply put, get gassed by playing the Colts at the RCA Dome? Don't forget the previous matchup between the two teams in the RCA Dome was a 38-34 (yes, same score) win by the Patriots in 2003 after the Colts came back from an 18-point margin (yes, same margin) in the 4th quarter. The Colts had moved the ball all the way down to the goalline but Belichick's defense made a goalline stand to win the game.

Geo
09-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Although now that I think about it, I'm wondering how much credit should go to Belichick for the win at San Diego. Hmm, I'll have to give it some thought.

Brady didn't play well at all but made the plays in the second half to win. Troy Brown's strip fumble was one of the headiest plays I've ever seen. The Patriots defense was getting beat by the Chargers' running game with their OL, Lorenzo Neal, and LDT - all three the best in the league at their respective positions imo. Eric Parker was a huge liability who one could argue should have worn a Pats uniform. Shawn Phillips was injured and Shawne Merriman was gassed, neither producing much.

Nice job, Shiver. Nice job. ;)

ninerfan
09-06-2007, 04:11 PM
sun n surf @ 2nd

nfrillman
09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
First of all, where the hell are the Rams??? This is an outrage of justice!!!

As for the New England/San Diego game last year, the San Diego WR's deserve plenty of blame. Their performace was Falcons WR-esque.

Flyboy
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Chargers because of good ol' Turner.

awfullyquiet
09-06-2007, 05:16 PM
i picked NE.
on paper they're great.
four high quality recievers. a boston college like workman-o-line.
tom brady.

but without seymour the defense will be lacking. with good linebackers (not great). they just look like they have the capability to underachieve and make so many look like foos. sure, i think they'll still win 11, but they're not the best team in the league. SD is still better with or without norv turner.

but not by much.
SD's corners will be exposed for being pretty bad. but what made up for it last year was the power of merriman and olshanky delivering quality rushes. with the amount of time they give QB's in the league. it makes their corners look that much better.
merriman won't go back to 22.5 sacks this year, he'll be less effective, slightly less worrisome, and cause less headaches than last year. and what about rivers? eh?

they're both equal. my six are 1, SD, 2, NE, 3, NO, 4, CHI, 5, BAL, 6 IND

Ward
09-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Is this about Norv winning a SB or Power Rankings? The best team in the league is clearly San Diego in my eyes. Power Rankings have nothing to do with projecting final rankings.

BrownsTown
09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Is this about Norv winning a SB or Power Rankings? The best team in the league is clearly San Diego in my eyes. Power Rankings have nothing to do with projecting final rankings.

My thoughts exactly.

princefielder28
09-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Patriots = #1

P-L
09-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Just pointing out, but NIP started these power rankings before the 2005 season because he wanted to come up a with universal draft order that people can use in their mock drafts, if they wanted.

WMD
04-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Pre-draft bump.. just a look at what NFLDC voted for the Power Rankings before the season started.. Got a couple right. Atlanta #3 and Buffalo #11. Nice call on Baltimore at #28, guys!

1. Oakland Raiders
2. Cleveland Browns
3. Atlanta Falcons
4. Kansas City Chiefs
5. Tennessee Titans
6. Miami Dolphins
7. Minnesota Vikings
8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
9. Detroit Lions
10. Houston Texans
11. Buffalo Bills
12. New York Giants
13. Washington Redskins
14. Arizona Cardinals
15. Green Bay Packers
16. San Francisco 49ers
17. New York Jets
18. Carolina Panthers
19. Seattle Sehawks
20. St Louis Rams
21. Jacksonville Jaguars
22. Pittsburgh Steelers
23. Philadelphia Eagles
24. Dallas Cowboys
25. Denver Broncos
26. Cincinnati Bengals
27. New Orleans Saints
28. Baltimore Ravens
29. Chicago Bears
30. Indianapolis Colts
31. San Diego Chargers
32. New England Patriots

Dam8610
04-24-2008, 08:56 AM

I'd say 4th and 13 is more directly his fault than his defense tiring out on him. The latter is really more a result of poor personnel choices, not poor coaching.

scottyboy
04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
hey, i remember the Giants being 21! we had no shot at all. destined for a top 10 pick :D

GB12
04-24-2008, 10:09 PM
hey, i remember the Giants being 21! we had no shot at all. destined for a top 10 pick :D
Actually that'd be the 12th pick ;)

WMD
04-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Actually that'd be the 12th pick ;)

Well, I changed the numbers so it'd be in some form of a draft order..