PDA

View Full Version : AP Poll now allowing D1-AA teams

SuperKevin
09-06-2007, 05:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3008022

Voters can now vote D1-AA teams or FCS teams into the weekly AP Top 25 poll. Don't be shocked to see Appalacian State getting a bunch of votes next week

BX
09-07-2007, 12:02 AM
As shocking as my school beating Michigan is, I'd have to say that this is even more shocking.

Single-handedly forcing the AP to accept votes for Div-II teams in the top 25?? That may be App. State's ultimate legacy.

Green Bay Scat
09-07-2007, 12:20 AM
As shocking as my school beating Michigan is, I'd have to say that this is even more shocking.

Single-handedly forcing the AP to accept votes for Div-II teams in the top 25?? That may be App. State's ultimate legacy.

its D-1aa or bowl sub divison or some crap like that, not D-2

SuperKevin
09-07-2007, 12:28 AM
its D-1aa or bowl sub divison or some crap like that, not D-2

technically the AP is allowing all lower divisions so technically a D2 or D3 team could be voted in as well

keylime_5
09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Personally I think this is a REALLY dumb idea. It's not like AppState or any other DII team ever plays more than 1 Division I team per year, or at least not more than 1 decent DI team per year, let alone top 25...and even if a D1AA team did play 2 top 25 teams in a year the chances are slim that they beat them both. What I'm saying is how can you rank some tiny school team in the top 25 just b/c they beat Michigan but all the rest of their games are vs. D1AA competition?!? It's stupid. The media are morons.

UCFNoleFan
09-07-2007, 10:52 AM
What's the point, they can't go to a BCS game, so it doesn't really do anything, its just a way for the media to keep capitalizing on this by making more news out of App St. beating Michigan.

MikeIsGood
09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Personally I think this is a REALLY dumb idea. It's not like AppState or any other DII team ever plays more than 1 Division I team per year, or at least not more than 1 decent DI team per year, let alone top 25...and even if a D1AA team did play 2 top 25 teams in a year the chances are slim that they beat them both. What I'm saying is how can you rank some tiny school team in the top 25 just b/c they beat Michigan but all the rest of their games are vs. D1AA competition?!? It's stupid. The media are morons.

Agree completely. This is really stupid. How do you judge these teams that would theoretically make the poll? With one game per year?

NittanyLion2k7
09-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Now now let's not be hasty. You guys are a bit shortsighted. True, as of now most DIAA teams only play one DIA team per year. But this eligibility for future polls opens up the possibility of more Interdivision matchups in the future since now they can be ranked.

Because App State beat Michigan, they have warranted consideration to being ranked. And because now they are allowed to be rank, this will encourage more DIAA teams to schedule more DIA teams on their schedule.

Cause and effect...

MikeIsGood
09-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Yea, after beating Michigan, I'm sure schools from the major six will be lining up to face off against DIAA (whatever it's called now) schools like App. State. The sarcasm is not meant to be malicious. Rather, to make a point.

On the contrary, after seeing what it has done to Michigan (5th to 35th) schools realize that they have absolutely nothing to gain by playing the DIAA powers, but SO much to lose.

P-L
09-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Yep. I bet more and more teams will stop scheduling D1-AA teams and schedule ****** D1-A teams.

D-Unit
09-07-2007, 11:11 PM
If you're a fan of sports in general, you probably saw this coming. Everybody wants parity. Only MLB hates it. Everybody wants a shot. The days of a few teams dominating are gone. You'll never see teams like Florida State dominate like they did in the 90s. All these small budget schools want what the big budget schools spend. I think it's really bad for college football, especially in a game that doesn't have a playoff system to determine the championship.

That said, it makes Hawaii's schedule count more. :D

Green Bay Scat
09-08-2007, 12:25 AM
I cant wait to see Grand Valley State ranked #25 lol