PDA

View Full Version : Week 1: Detroit Lions @ Oakland Raiders

P-L
09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Thoughts? Predictions?

I see the Lions starting the season off on a good note with a real close victory on the road at Oakland. I'll say 23-20.

Geo
09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I went back and forth in having to pick who I think will win, and eventually went with the home team in Oakland. But either team can definitely win this game, I feel.

I look at the game as: which defensive line will win this game?

The Lions need their front four to lead their defensive charge, in a matchup against a revamped Raiders OL and Josh McCown/Daunte Culpepper starting. On the other side of the ball there's the obvious matchup of Rob Ryan's defense vs. Mike Martz's offense.

JPLUFF
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Everything in my gut tells me to pick against Detroit. It's a road game. Our defense hasn't looked good in the preseason. Our revamped offensive line vs. Oakland's D-Line, which is their team strength. But looking at the rest of Oakland's line-up, especially their depth-chart on the offensive side of the ball, I just can't pick them. Detroit should win but I think it'll be close, like P-L said.

Detroit 17, Oakland 10

WMD
09-07-2007, 03:20 PM
I got the Raiders. Their D is real good. Plus, McCown will be starting against his Former team, even though he never got any real action.. Our former players always play good against us.

Raiders- 27
Lions- 17

Addict
09-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I got the Raiders. Their D is real good. Plus, McCown will be starting against his Former team, even though he never got any real action.. Our former players always play good against us.

Raiders- 27
Lions- 17

yea former lions kill current lions... painful. Anyways... I think it's gonna be a flip of a coin but our D may just be good enough to get McCown some monster pressure. Our weakness is defense but they have such a weak offense we may be able to prevent them from doing much. So I'll say lions by the smallest of margins

lions 27 - raiders 24

P-L
09-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I just do not like McCown at all. The guy was our 3rd string QB last year, two spots behind Jon Kitna, who was criticized greatly. He is expected to start for the Raiders. Their offensive line is a big question mark. It was terrible last year, but they got a new coach along with a couple new starters. I just cannot envision the Raiders running the ball at all with their average running backs, below average offensive line, and our dominant defensive tackles. I love the Raiders secondary, but I'm not sure they have enough depth to contain Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Calvin Johnson. While I see us struggling to run the ball, I think we will be more successful then them. I cannot see either team scoring more than two touchdowns, and I think this game will be won with field goals.

jbombul
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I just do not like McCown at all. The guy was our 3rd string QB last year, two spots behind Jon Kitna, who was criticized greatly. He is expected to start for the Raiders. Their offensive line is a big question mark. It was terrible last year, but they got a new coach along with a couple new starters. I just cannot envision the Raiders running the ball at all with their average running backs, below average offensive line, and our dominant defensive tackles. I love the Raiders secondary, but I'm not sure they have enough depth to contain Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, and Calvin Johnson. While I see us struggling to run the ball, I think we will be more successful then them. I cannot see either team scoring more than two touchdowns, and I think this game will be won with field goals.

he may have been 3rd string qb, but he was the number 4 reciever on the depth chart :)

TacticaLion
09-08-2007, 12:21 AM
he may have been 3rd string qb, but he was the number 4 reciever on the depth chart :)
HA! Funny line.

I think our Defense is going to surprise some people this year. No, it wont be "great", but it'll be solid and force some turnovers. If Rogers and Redding are healthy, expect pressure from our front 4. (And, if Sims can stay on the field, I get to giggle every time he smacks someone going 100 mph.) Anyway, Cover 2 defenses usually play much better in the second year, and I expect the same with the Lions this year.

Nothing needs to be said about the offense.

Prediction: 27-14.

Xiomera
09-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Raiders 26, Lions 17

Kitna - 24/35, 243 yards passing, 2 TD's, 1 INT
Bell - 15 carries, 47 yards
Duckett - 7 carries, 24 yards
Williams - 6 catches, 67 yards, 1 TD
C. Johnson - 4 catches, 55 yards
Furrey - 8 catches, 88 yards, 1 TD
Defense - 0 sacks, 0 takeaways, 100 penalties

Bootland27
09-08-2007, 09:37 AM
It'll be an interesting game because I'll be looking for a few things. Our Offense vs. their defense and their offense vs. our defense.

Nothing needs to be said about our offense (although we still don't know if they can run the ball effectively), and Oakland has a championship caliber defense. Mike Martz can trot out the 3WR set, but the Raiders are of the few teams that won't be afraid to defend that as they have one of the best corner tandems in the league.

We probably have the worst secondary in the league, but Oakland has among the worst group of receivers as well. Something's gotta give on these fronts. If we can win in the trenches, we will win the game.

My prediction: Lions win a close one, 17-13

Iamcanadian
09-09-2007, 09:10 AM
If we cannot beat Oakland on the road, it will be a very long season. Oakland still has a mediocre offense and an overrated defense. You have to remember that teams who play losers hardly have much emotion for that game and a defense and an offense can appear to be better than they are.
I think we are better team than Oakland and eek out a win at 24-20 but I won't be shocked if we lose.

Addict
09-09-2007, 10:35 AM
If we cannot beat Oakland on the road, it will be a very long season. Oakland still has a mediocre offense and an overrated defense. You have to remember that teams who play losers hardly have much emotion for that game and a defense and an offense can appear to be better than they are.
I think we are better team than Oakland and eek out a win at 24-20 but I won't be shocked if we lose.

I would've been shocked if you hadn't said that.

KILLERSANTA
09-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Lions win 24 - 10.....

Addict
09-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Lions win 24 - 10.....

even 'Boys fans believe we can beat the raiders. (god I hope we actually do)

TacticaLion
09-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I would've been shocked if you hadn't said that.
HA! Word for word...

Xiomera
09-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Kitna blows . . . 95 yard drive from the one yard line ends with a pick in the endzone for Oakland.

Get used to this folks.

P-L
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Kitna made one bad pass all day. He was flawless before that pass and he's been near flawless since. I thought the Raiders' pass defense would be better than they've played.

Scotty D
09-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Shaun Rogers did this last year in the first game. If he can just play like this for atleast half our games. Lets get Calvin a TD and I want to see an interception!

robert_in_bigd
09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
CJ is in a real nice O for him.

You guys have, by far, and no disrespect to Arizona, the best WRs duo in the league.

Not even close.

You need Brian Brohm.

Scotty D
09-09-2007, 04:49 PM

You guys have, by far, and no disrespect to Arizona, the best WRs duo in the league.

Not even close.

You need Brian Brohm.

Uhh whats wrong with Kinta? :)

P-L
09-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Kitna has shown some surprising mobility. Last year he really didn't move much but he's thrown well on the run and he just scrambled 11 yards for a 1st down.

robert_in_bigd
09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Uhh whats wrong with Kinta? :)

He was invented to be replaced. Like Steve DeBerg.

Good enuff place holder though.

Scotty D
09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Lets get Calvin a TD and I want to see an interception!

Uhh Nostradamus much?

Addict
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
we might just win this thing :O

Scotty D
09-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Sean McDonald is this years Mike Furrey. Great move in going with instead of Curtis.

detroitsports
09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Did anyone else notice some of the absolutely rediculous jumps Kalimba was getting today? WOW!!! He was easily the fastest I've ever seen anyone off the line today, on way more than one occasion.

Xiomera
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM

Not even close.

You need Brian Brohm.

Our receivers are more than CJ and Roy though . . . we easily have the best WR quartet including Furrey and McDonald.

Screw Kevin Curtis. McDonald is way better.

TacticaLion
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Did anyone else notice some of the absolutely rediculous jumps Kalimba was getting today? WOW!!! He was easily the fastest I've ever seen anyone off the line today, on way more than one occasion.Agreed... especially on that last play. Why in the HELL did they hike that thing? Not only could they not have won, but McCown was hurt in the process.

TacticaLion's Week 1 Analysis

Kitna made one (very) bad pass... but the intentions were good. He did a great job today. Play of the game: moving out of the pocket, setting his feet and hitting McDonald for the TD. Perfect throw.

Kitna's second INT wasn't his fault, so his day was almost perfect.

CJ has great control and just makes plays. Loved seeing him get mauled after his TD. (Note: anyone hear the pre-game interview with Ol' Roy? CJ81's nickname: Megatron.)

5 different players caught 4 or more passes... and Bell had a solid outing (93 total yards and 1 TD). Oh... and, since when did Kitna become a mobile QB? He even faked someone out! Crazy ass. I like the effort, but get yer ass down and stop taking hits.

TacticaLion's Performers of the Game
DWhite and KEdwards. White: 6 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT and 1 FF. Edwards: 2 solo tackles, 2 sacks and 2 FFs. Just outstanding play. White's pick was great... 1 handed... but the return was incredible. Oh... and Rogers blocked a freaking FG.

TacticaLion's Week 1 Fun Fact
The Bears are LAST in the NFC North.

That is all...

P-L
09-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Here are my thoughts on the game:

QB: Kitna was excellent. Regardless of the 2 INT he threw, he was excellent. The first INT hurt us bad. We had just driven 95 yards and he completely missed Morrison in the endzone. The second INT was not his fault. The ball hit Roy Williams right in the hands, and Roy should've caught it instead of letting it bounce into Stanford Routt's hands. Completing 75% of your passes against last year's #1 ranked pass defense is fantastic, especially considering there were at least two dropped balls. I was also very surprised by the mobility he showed. I cannot remember him ever moving around in the pocket and throwing on the run as well as he did. Aside from that one idiotic play on the second drive, Kitna played as well as any team could ask their QB to play. Grade: A

RB: Tatum Bell really surprised me. I thought our running game was going to be non-existent. Even despite not getting many carries until late, he made the most of his limited opportunities. I would've liked to see him pick up some yards consistently, but I liked the two long runs he had including the 14 yard TD to seal the deal. Duckett didn't get many carries, and I can see why. I didn't understand why Martz ran him two plays in a row on that one drive in the 1st half. Grade: B+

WR: This group played great. We are going to have a lot of success offensively if the teams we play lack depth in the secondary. Calvin looked good in his debut grabbing 4 balls and his first career TD. Furrey made some big catches and Roy was pretty solid as well, despite only have 20 yards. Shaun McDonald was awesome leading the team in receptions and getting wide open on that TD. It looked like he was a solid pick up. Grade: A-

OL: This group surprised me the most. Jon Kitna was sacked 63 times last year, just less than four times per game. The Raiders only got to him once and their best pass rusher Derrick Burgess was contained well, only getting a few pressures. Although the OL got a bit shaky in the middle of the second half, I was shocked at how much time Kitna had to make throws. If the OL can play like this every game, I think we win more games that I originally thought. I thought George Foster played well, although I was disappointed with the three false start penalties. Grade: B-

DL: I thought Shaun Rogers was excellent. He came up with the big FG block early in the game. He only came up with 1 tackle but abused the interior OL of the Raiders. Kalimba Edwards was relatively quiet for most of the game, but he came up with some big plays recording two sacks, and he came up with a huge pressure. Dewayne White played well I think. He was quiet for a lot of the game but he applied pressure and recorded a sack. His one handed INT was pretty sweet. I was most disappointed by Corey Redding. He played well, but not as well as I would've hoped. As a unit we got constant pressure, McCown just got the ball out quickly on screens. Grade: B+

LB: This was the group I was most disappointed in. Like I mentioned, we got plenty of pressure on McCown but he was able to hit LaMont Jordan on plenty of screen passes and out LB couldn't defend against them. Sims and Lenon racked up tackles and played the run game fairly solid, but they couldn't make plays in the short passing game. 45% of the Raiders passing yards were screens to Jordan and Griffith and short passes to Zach Miller. Those guys are the responsibility of the LB. They weren't terrible, but if that was any other WCO, we might have lost the game. Grade: C-

DB: These guys played better than expected, but they were nothing to write home about. The secondary had no answer for Ronald Curry at all. Every time the DL couldn't get pressure, McCown found Curry pretty open. Props though for taking Mike Williams and Jerry Porter out of the game. Travis Fisher played a real well game at Nickel CB. We didn't hear too much from the rest of the secondary, but that was due to all the short passes the Raiders threw. Grade: C+

Special Teams: No comments. Grade: A+

Coaching: Rod Marinelli did well in his season debut. It wasn't anything special, but he kept the defense playing better than expected. Martz was very good. I questioned a few play calls, but for the most part his offense executed well. Grade: B+

Bootland27
09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Nice Win, I'm happy that they won, and enjoy this one for a week. But, their level of play will only give them Ws against terrible teams like oakland.

Positives: Front 4 guys were unstoppable.....Moved the ball well through the air....Got some turnovers on defense......Good NFL debut for CJ, he's the real deal......converted 3rd downs at a solid clip....

Things to work on: Blew a 17 point lead.....They gave up close to 400 yds to the worst offensive team in football, not a recipe for winning games.....Josh Freaking Mccown completed 75% of his passes......They still have problems running the ball.....Took stupid penalties in critical situations.....Roy had a fairly quiet game today(other than the TD)

Looking ahead: Vikes up next. They have a great defense, tremendous O-line, 2 headed monster at RB, and a young QB. A winnable game, but they need to play better than today obviously to make that possible.

Bottom Line: 1-0, but they will play opponents that are much more formidable from here on out. If what we saw today is the real deal, not much has changed then.

Addict
09-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Agreed... especially on that last play. Why in the HELL did they hike that thing? Not only could they not have won, but McCown was hurt in the process.

TacticaLion's Week 1 Analysis

Kitna made one (very) bad pass... but the intentions were good. He did a great job today. Play of the game: moving out of the pocket, setting his feet and hitting McDonald for the TD. Perfect throw.

Kitna's second INT wasn't his fault, so his day was almost perfect.

CJ has great control and just makes plays. Loved seeing him get mauled after his TD. (Note: anyone hear the pre-game interview with Ol' Roy? CJ81's nickname: Megatron.)

5 different players caught 4 or more passes... and Bell had a solid outing (93 total yards and 1 TD). Oh... and, since when did Kitna become a mobile QB? He even faked someone out! Crazy ass. I like the effort, but get yer ass down and stop taking hits.

TacticaLion's Performers of the Game
DWhite and KEdwards. White: 6 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT and 1 FF. Edwards: 2 solo tackles, 2 sacks and 2 FFs. Just outstanding play. White's pick was great... 1 handed... but the return was incredible. Oh... and Rogers blocked a freaking FG.

TacticaLion's Week 1 Fun Fact
The Bears are LAST in the NFC North.

That is all...

Indeed, indeed.

Lol Kalimba Edwards actually managed to do something right. What's next? Kennedy intercepting a pass?

Addict
09-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Something I noticed is how well the FA's played in his game

McDonald: 90 yds, TD
Fisher: INT
White: 6 tackles, INT, FF, sack

that's a good sign.

Scotty D
09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Something I noticed is how well the FA's played in his game

McDonald: 90 yds, TD
Fisher: INT
White: 6 tackles, INT, FF, sack

that's a good sign.

you clever dawg

Addict
09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
you clever dawg

momma always said I was special.

TacticaLion
09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Indeed, indeed.

Lol Kalimba Edwards actually managed to do something right. What's next? Kennedy intercepting a pass?
He actually looked very good today. Ran himself out of a few plays, but started to get the right angle and make the play.

FA play also helped. The Fisher pick was nice... turned the momentum a bit.

All in all, great game.

detroitsports
09-09-2007, 11:33 PM
He actually looked very good today. Ran himself out of a few plays, but started to get the right angle and make the play.

FA play also helped. The Fisher pick was nice... turned the momentum a bit.

All in all, great game.

I was extremely impressed with Kalimba, he was getting great jumps all day... It was either one of his sacks or just a good pressure, but he came around completely untouched. He looked very very good to me today, at least pass rushing.

jbombul
09-09-2007, 11:45 PM
kalimba has always had great jumps he really gets off the line fast idk if he can read snap counts or what but hes always done that, problem is he just hasn't been consistent he runs himself out of plays too much. but like you, i was impressed by how he played

WMD
09-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves though.. This was the.. Oakland Raiders.. Not many O-Lines are as bad as theirs.

detroitsports
09-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves though.. This was the.. Oakland Raiders.. Not many O-Lines are as bad as theirs.

Oh, I'm just saying the man was quick off the line today, he's never been consistent, let's hope he can be for the rest of the season and justify at least some of that money we're paying him or rather the fords are paying him.

Iamcanadian
09-10-2007, 04:20 AM
My thoughts on the game:

We played the Raiders who won 2 games last year and started Detroit's 2nd or 3rd string QB from last year. So let's keep the win in perspective.

Kitna is just what I predicted. A guy who will throw for 4000yds in Martz's offense but his lack of arm strength means he'll throw a lot of interceptions especially in the red zone.

Our offense will have to carry this team. We almost blew the game against the absolute worst offense in the NFL. Oakland fans tend to way overrate their defense even though it only produced 2 wins last season.

I cannot say enough about Martz's offense but as pitiful as Oakland's offense is, they still put up some pretty good stats. Far better NFL offensive teams will destroy our defense and we are going to see a lot of 30+ points put up by teams we play.

As I said before the game, if we cannot beat Oakland we will have a very long season. I saw nothing so far to indicate that we will win more than 4-6 games and IMO we will struggle to do that. Both Minny and GB looked pretty good today which doesn't bode well for our chances.

I enjoyed watching us win but let's be real. We were playing the worst team in the NFL bar none.

Addict
09-10-2007, 05:32 AM

True... but at least they looked a bit convincing winning it.

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I enjoyed watching us win but let's be real. We were playing the worst team in the NFL bar none.

Meh...I dunno...I watched the Vikings game and let me tell you, the Falcons are in for a looooooooooooooooooooong year.

Jagonsucker
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
ive said it all along..the lions offense is gonna be great this year. Very impressive how we moved the ball at will. Heres the flip side of that..OUR DEFENSE IS TERRIBLE. We're going to need to either step up and stop giving up these 5 yard passes every single down or we need to score 30+ points a game to win. Defense needs tremendous work..especially the linebackers

detroitsports
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
ive said it all along..the lions offense is gonna be great this year. Very impressive how we moved the ball at will. Heres the flip side of that..OUR DEFENSE IS TERRIBLE. We're going to need to either step up and stop giving up these 5 yard passes every single down or we need to score 30+ points a game to win. Defense needs tremendous work..especially the linebackers

As part of the Cover 2 scheme we play, isn't it our goal to force teams to take the underneath stuff? As I recall from the bucs defense when they won the SB they'd give up pretty long drives if the team was willing to be patient and not get antsy. Then the Defense would start to tighten up as they got nearer and nearer the goal line... obviously we didn't do too good of a job with the end of that though, but I don't recall any really big passing plays, maybe I just forgot them though.

Addict
09-10-2007, 12:11 PM
ive said it all along..the lions offense is gonna be great this year. Very impressive how we moved the ball at will. Heres the flip side of that..OUR DEFENSE IS TERRIBLE. We're going to need to either step up and stop giving up these 5 yard passes every single down or we need to score 30+ points a game to win. Defense needs tremendous work..especially the defensive backs

fixed it for you.

Raiders may not be the worst team: Atlanta, Kansas City and Buffalo don't look to good either.

P-L
09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
As part of the Cover 2 scheme we play, isn't it our goal to force teams to take the underneath stuff? As I recall from the bucs defense when they won the SB they'd give up pretty long drives if the team was willing to be patient and not get antsy. Then the Defense would start to tighten up as they got nearer and nearer the goal line... obviously we didn't do too good of a job with the end of that though, but I don't recall any really big passing plays, maybe I just forgot them though.
Yeah, we are supposed to limit the big plays and take the underneath stuff. Kind of like the bend but don't break strategy. However, we are not supposed to let Josh McCown and LaMont Jordan tear our defense apart like they did. We were extremely lucky that we only gave up 21 points to the Raiders. If we would've played the same way against any other offense, we probably would've lost the game. We didn't give up any big plays, because the Raiders didn't have the opportunity to get them. The pass rush was very good against a poor Oakland offensive line and McCown had to get rid of the ball quickly almost every play. Credit the defensive line, but the Raiders didn't have time to setup for the big play. The play of the defensive line was promising, but the back seven need to play much better for us to win some games.

Bootland27
09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah, we are supposed to limit the big plays and take the underneath stuff. Kind of like the bend but don't break strategy. However, we are not supposed to let Josh McCown and LaMont Jordan tear our defense apart like they did. We were extremely lucky that we only gave up 21 points to the Raiders. If we would've played the same way against any other offense, we probably would've lost the game. We didn't give up any big plays, because the Raiders didn't have the opportunity to get them. The pass rush was very good against a poor Oakland offensive line and McCown had to get rid of the ball quickly almost every play. Credit the defensive line, but the Raiders didn't have time to setup for the big play. The play of the defensive line was promising, but the back seven need to play much better for us to win some games.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Iamcanadian
09-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Meh...I dunno...I watched the Vikings game and let me tell you, the Falcons are in for a looooooooooooooooooooong year.

They fight it out for the #1 overall pick, no doubt.

TacticaLion
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
My thoughts on the game:

We played the Raiders who won 2 games last year and started Detroit's 2nd or 3rd string QB from last year. So let's keep the win in perspective.

Kitna is just what I predicted. A guy who will throw for 4000yds in Martz's offense but his lack of arm strength means he'll throw a lot of interceptions especially in the red zone.

Our offense will have to carry this team. We almost blew the game against the absolute worst offense in the NFL. Oakland fans tend to way overrate their defense even though it only produced 2 wins last season.

I cannot say enough about Martz's offense but as pitiful as Oakland's offense is, they still put up some pretty good stats. Far better NFL offensive teams will destroy our defense and we are going to see a lot of 30+ points put up by teams we play.

As I said before the game, if we cannot beat Oakland we will have a very long season. I saw nothing so far to indicate that we will win more than 4-6 games and IMO we will struggle to do that. Both Minny and GB looked pretty good today which doesn't bode well for our chances.

I enjoyed watching us win but let's be real. We were playing the worst team in the NFL bar none.You can mention that the Raiders have the "absolute worst offense in the NFL", but didn't mention how we passed, at will, against the best pass defense in 2006? Kitna was great... took his shots down field but also used his checkdowns. He got pressure on occasion, but I thought he got the ball out quickly. 1 sack. 1 sack!? Wow...

I also look at his INTs. We all know the second wasn't his fault, but look back to the first. Now, think of his TD throw to Ol' Roy. Kitna forced a ball into the endzone on the first drive (and was picked), but threw a similar ball to Ol' Roy and scored from it. He didn't back down and didn't hesitate to throw the ball back into the endzone, and I like that.

He ran the offense well... and ran it against a top pass defense. I like what we showed out there.

(Note: Kitna had more points than Peyton Manning in FF. Glad I spent a late pick on the position.)

Iamcanadian
09-11-2007, 09:13 PM
You can mention that the Raiders have the "absolute worst offense in the NFL", but didn't mention how we passed, at will, against the best pass defense in 2006? Kitna was great... took his shots down field but also used his checkdowns. He got pressure on occasion, but I thought he got the ball out quickly. 1 sack. 1 sack!? Wow...

I also look at his INTs. We all know the second wasn't his fault, but look back to the first. Now, think of his TD throw to Ol' Roy. Kitna forced a ball into the endzone on the first drive (and was picked), but threw a similar ball to Ol' Roy and scored from it. He didn't back down and didn't hesitate to throw the ball back into the endzone, and I like that.

He ran the offense well... and ran it against a top pass defense. I like what we showed out there.

(Note: Kitna had more points than Peyton Manning in FF. Glad I spent a late pick on the position.)

Oakland fans go on and on about their defense but it just isn't very good. Chicago has no offense but they don't win 2 games. Oakland ranked 26 I believe against the run. That means team didn't bother to pass a lot against them but perferred to run on them. When teams don't throw a lot against you, you pass defense #'s will look very good but it is all mirrors. Great defenses, even solid defenses can stop both the run and the pass. When you see a huge discrepency between run defense and pass defense, it usually indicates that teams simply ignored one and attacked the other because the team couldn't stop it.
We'll know soon enough if we are getting better. The games will tell the story as the season unveils.

Addict
09-12-2007, 03:58 AM
Oakland fans go on and on about their defense but it just isn't very good. Chicago has no offense but they don't win 2 games. Oakland ranked 26 I believe against the run. That means team didn't bother to pass a lot against them but perferred to run on them. When teams don't throw a lot against you, you pass defense #'s will look very good but it is all mirrors. Great defenses, even solid defenses can stop both the run and the pass. When you see a huge discrepency between run defense and pass defense, it usually indicates that teams simply ignored one and attacked the other because the team couldn't stop it.
We'll know soon enough if we are getting better. The games will tell the story as the season unveils.

yeah, the lions are known for their punishing run offense.

oh wait...

Iamcanadian
09-12-2007, 07:59 AM
yeah, the lions are known for their punishing run offense.

oh wait...

This game exposed Oakland's defense. It isn't a great pass defending team as the stats might indicate. We are a passing team and had very few problems moving the ball on their defense. Oakland is a 2-14 team that has changed very little from last year. In 2 years when Russell is something, they may well leave us in their dust but for right now, they are a very poor team and beating them doesn't equate to a good year.
I want to see more before I go ga ga over the team. Minny is a good test not because they are a good team, they aren't but we seem to never beat them and a win over them could indicate the abilty to split in our Division and have a decent season.