PDA

View Full Version : a list of starting ss

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-07-2007, 04:02 PM
On the Dallas Cowboys forum, we have a poster that says Roy Williams is the worst Strong Safety in the league, and should not even be starting in the NFL. I posted this list of the starting strong safeties in the league, and whether or not I would trade them for Roy Williams, straight up.

I need an opinion from everyone that will give one to settle the dispute. Is Roy the worst Strong Safety in the league, or not? Maybe I am just a homer.

If you think he is one of the top strong safeties, include that in your answer, PLEASE!!!

1-D. Landry-Baltimore-I wouldnt make the trade
2-D. Whitner-Buffalo-Maybe
3-S. Jones-Cle-I like Jones
4-N. Ferguson-Den-No Freakin way
5-J. Simmons-Hou-No
6-B. Sanders-Indy-Right now, I would
7-S. Knight-Jack-No
8-B. Pollard-KC-No way
9-R. Hill-Mia-No
10-J. Sanders-NE-Nope
11-K. Rhodes-NYJ-Nope
12-M. Huff-Oak.-Only on potential
13-T. Polamalu-PItt-I would make the trade
14-C. Hart-San Diego-No
15-C. Hope-Tenn-Probably a good trade.
16-A. Wilson-Ari-Again, probably a solid trade.
17-L. Malloy-Atl-No. Too old
18-C. Harris-Car-No
19-A. Archuleta-Chi-No
20-K. Kennedy-Det-Are you crazy???NO
21-A. Bigby-GB-Yea, right
22-D. Sharper-Minn-This year it would make sense, but for the future-no
23-R. Harper-NO-No
24-J. Butler-NYG-No way
25-S. Condistine-PHI-I am not sold on Condistine
26-M. Lewis-SF-No
27-D. Grant-Sea-maybe
28-C. Chavous-St-Nope
29-J. Phillips-Tampa-Hell no
30-L. Landry-Wash-On potential, yes
31-D. Jackson-Cin-No

Man_Of_Steel
09-07-2007, 04:03 PM
This is already up in your team thread is this really necessary?

Shiver
09-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Roy Williams' isn't the worst. That being said I would take five or six of those guys over him. You mislabeled some of those players as SS, some of them are actually technically the FS.

yo123
09-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Rhodes is much much better than Williams

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I was requested to put it up on the NFL forum, so we could get opinions from people who were not homers. Kinda to get unbiased opinions.

I guess you might say it was not necessary. But it would be nice to get opinions from fans of different teams.

Addict
09-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I would take anyone over Kenoy Kennedy.... your comment is spot-on.

Man_Of_Steel
09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Of the players listed I would trade Wiliams for...

Polamalu
Sanders
Wilson
Rhodes
Harper
D. Landry
L. Landry
Whitner
Hope
Huff

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Roy Williams' isn't the worst. That being said I would take five or six of those guys over him. You mislabeled some of those players as SS, some of them are actually technically the FS.

My bad. I went off a list of teams safeties, and was typing fast.

09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
roy williams might be the worst pass defending SS but overall hell no

draftguru151
09-07-2007, 04:14 PM
I would take Williams every single day and twice on Sunday over Renaldo Hill.

BigDawg819
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't worry, we wouldn't trade Dawan Landry either. :D

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
i'll keep Kerry Rhodes over Roy.

no he certainly isn't the worst in the league and someone is just being stupid or is stupid. could/should Roy be better? Yes. should he have made the pro bowl last season? no, but neither should have Taylor.

I expect Roy to be better now that he's lost some weight.....

scottyboy
09-07-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd take
Troy P.
*shutters* Rhodes
YO ADRIAN
Huff
Girault
Whitner
Bob Sanders

eh, maybe more but I dont feel like thinking too hard, it also really depends on your teams defensive scheme

Addict
09-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd take
Troy P.
*shutters* Rhodes
YO ADRIAN
Huff
Girault
Whitner
Bob Sanders
any rutgers SS

eh, maybe more but I dont feel like thinking too hard, it also really depends on your teams defensive scheme

I fixed it for you, so it fits your personality better.

scottyboy
09-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I fixed it for you, so it fits your personality better.

haha Girault is the rutgers strong safety :D

09-07-2007, 04:32 PM
roy williams would be in the top half of starting NFL SS. #1 would be Adrian Wilson!

bored of education
09-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Bonecrusher

KILLERSANTA
09-07-2007, 04:48 PM
roy williams might be the worst pass defending SS but overall hell no

What he said, is this a joke?????

Freddy G
09-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Yeah, i would keep Sean Jones for sure.

keylime_5
09-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Roy Williams is a great strong safety. Just because he's not good in coverage doesn't mean that he's not good. He is a killer hitter and great in run support. He isn't really asked to play man coverage much at all, and he excels at what he's good at. Why don't you get an NFL coach or front office guy's opinion of Roy Williams instead of a disgruntled fan's?

I would rank the top 5 strong safeties like this:
1-Polamalu
2-Wilson
3-Sanders (when healthy)
4-Williams
5-Jones

Kerry Rhodes is probably tied with Jones at #5, and Donte Whitner is the up and comer who will be on that list in a year or two.

1-4 are all very close together though.

09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
What he said, is this a joke?????

nope its not a joke and if u dont think hes the worst pass defending SS name me someone worse at that aspect of the game at the same position

comahan
09-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Michael Boulwarre is the Texans SS, if Simmons were the starter, he'd easily be the worst in the league, but yea.

Williams is still a lot better.

yodabear
09-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Um, that person should be arrested for football stupidity. Corey Chavous is the worst. And there are so many more that suck.

cardsalltheway
09-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Bob Sanders doesn't play SS, he plays FS. Antoine Bethea is our SS and he has been pretty solid there.

scottyboy
09-07-2007, 07:28 PM
ok, my vote for best safety is now Ron Giraul!!!! :D sweet INT...

ccB
09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't worry, we wouldn't trade Dawan Landry either. :D

Took the words out of my mouth, another one I disagree with from your list is Kerry Rhodes, give me him over Roy also. There might be other I disagree with but I didnt look too good. Roy is far from the worst though.

DaBears9654
09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I always thought there was a reason he has been a Pro Bowler before, and that it's not just b/c he absolutely lays the wood when he tackles. I'd probably put him in the top 1/3 of starting SS's.

skinzzfan25
09-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I'll take Laron Landry every day over Williams.

TimD
09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Rhodes is much much better than Williams

ditto

it goes reed, polamalu, rhodes

NYGibril28
09-07-2007, 11:33 PM
One of the more overrated safeties because of his ability to lay down the big hit. Extremely liable in coverage. I'd take 12-15 current SS over Williams.

trkaline
09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Dawan Landry is gonne be a household name real soon. He is a quality safety with quality values. Stop the run knock down the ball or get the ball...

Dam8610
09-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Doesn't Ed Reed technically play SS for the Ravens?

The Legend
09-08-2007, 07:33 AM
On the Dallas Cowboys forum, we have a poster that says Roy Williams is the worst Strong Safety in the league, and should not even be starting in the NFL. I posted this list of the starting strong safeties in the league, and whether or not I would trade them for Roy Williams, straight up.

I need an opinion from everyone that will give one to settle the dispute. Is Roy the worst Strong Safety in the league, or not? Maybe I am just a homer.

If you think he is one of the top strong safeties, include that in your answer, PLEASE!!!

1-D. Landry-Baltimore-I wouldnt make the trade
2-D. Whitner-Buffalo-Maybe
3-S. Jones-Cle-I like Jones
4-N. Ferguson-Den-No Freakin way
5-J. Simmons-Hou-No
6-B. Sanders-Indy-Right now, I would
7-S. Knight-Jack-No
8-B. Pollard-KC-No way
9-R. Hill-Mia-No
10-J. Sanders-NE-Nope
11-K. Rhodes-NYJ-Nope
12-M. Huff-Oak.-Only on potential
13-T. Polamalu-PItt-I would make the trade
14-C. Hart-San Diego-No
15-C. Hope-Tenn-Probably a good trade.
16-A. Wilson-Ari-Again, probably a solid trade.
17-L. Malloy-Atl-No. Too old
18-C. Harris-Car-No
19-A. Archuleta-Chi-No
20-K. Kennedy-Det-Are you crazy???NO
21-A. Bigby-GB-Yea, right
22-D. Sharper-Minn-This year it would make sense, but for the future-no
23-R. Harper-NO-No
24-J. Butler-NYG-No way
25-S. Condistine-PHI-I am not sold on Condistine
26-M. Lewis-SF-No
27-D. Grant-Sea-maybe
28-C. Chavous-St-Nope
29-J. Phillips-Tampa-Hell no
30-L. Landry-Wash-On potential, yes
31-D. Jackson-Cin-No

whats wrong with Phillips & Rhodes they both hadd 100+ tackles last year

but Rhodes is one of the best safetys in the League?

GermanSaint
09-08-2007, 09:08 AM
i wouldnt trade roman harper for roy , as a saints fan. you can have bullocks and move him to SS :)

The Unseen
09-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Unless I missed some recent news, Sammy Knight is not the Jaguars' starting SS. Gerald Sensabaugh is.

RCAChainGang
09-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Williams is a great SS. Most of the problem for the Cowboys passing defense is the FS spot, and they adressed that issue. I'd take 5-7 guys over Roy, but he is a great safety. People just overrate him because of his big hit, but that is a factor; I like a safety that lays people out. Cowboys fans usually are homers when it comes to Williams though.

21ST
09-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Unless I missed some recent news, Sammy Knight is not the Jaguars' starting SS. Gerald Sensabaugh is.

Gerald is a beast, when he was in like the 7th grade we would use to walk to the gym just to see him do all kinds of dunks, he has gotta have like a 45+ in vert by now

skinzzfan25
09-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Williams is a great SS. Most of the problem for the Cowboys passing defense is the FS spot, and they adressed that issue. I'd take 5-7 guys over Roy, but he is a great safety. People just overrate him because of his big hit, but that is a factor; I like a safety that lays people out. Cowboys fans usually are homers when it comes to Williams though.

Hamlin is pretty suspect himself in coverage. Though, he should be an upgrade over Watkins (is that the dude? I forget lol)

EdReedUnstoppable
09-08-2007, 11:45 AM
I like how it says maybe for Whitner, but no for Dawan Landry, when Landry had a clearly much better year then Whitner........people love to hate on the Ravens and our players.

bills51tuff
09-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I like how it says maybe for Whitner, but no for Dawan Landry, when Landry had a clearly much better year then Whitner........people love to hate on the Ravens and our players.

Whitner has more upside.

LonghornsLegend
09-08-2007, 12:43 PM

I dont think its "hating" because he may not prefer landry himself, its just one opinion...everyone isnt against the ravens or something, not every1 thinks landry is a top tier safety in the league, alot of people feel that his play is due to having superstars all around him, and free to make plays on the ball, not be the playmaker in the defense as landry would have to do on other teams

JagHombre22
09-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Sammy Knight is not the starting SS for the Jaguars, Gerald Sensabaugh is...and I'd say he's pretty solid...

IndyColtScout
09-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Personally I think Roy Williams should make the move to cover 2 LB, but he's kinda stuck in DAL for now so he's staying at SS.