PDA

View Full Version : My NFL preview

gpngc
09-08-2007, 05:20 PM
It's finally here. The 2007 NFL season is underway. I'm not going to waste any time, and I'm going right to my Super Bowl pick.

Everyone likes the Patriots or Chargers. Not me. The Colts are clearly the best team in the league. It's obvious. And last night's demolition of the Saints has nothing to do with it. That was expected. The Saints are a subpar defensive football team and were depending on an ex-Colt to cover the best no. 2 WR in the NFL (who will have a better season than Marvin Harrison this season). Manning pumps out 3-td 0-int performances like it's nothing- and there's no pressure on him this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him break his own single-season touchdown record. As for the running-game, sure they are screwed if Joseph Addai gets hurt, but if he doesn't, he probably puts up MVP-like numbers and becomes a fantasy stud. Before I get to the defense, lets re-visit one of the head-scratchers of the 2007 NFL draft. Early in round two, a trade was announced. The Colts gave up their 2008 first round pick in order to move up to pick #42, where they surprised most of us and drafted LT Tony Ugoh of Arkansas. For a team clearly weaker on defense, the Colts had used their first two picks (and invested a 2008 first rounder) in two offensive players (Anthony Gonzalez and Ugoh). Curious. Then what happens? Underrated bookend protector Tarik Glenn retires (a little too early, IMO), and Bill Polian and the Colts look like geniuses once again. If you watched Ugoh on Thursday night you saw a young, athletic, mobile LT step in and not allow his team to miss a beat without Tarik Glenn. He held DE Will Smith sackless and flashed signs of great potential. There were a few bumps in the road (Smith beat him once and forced Ugoh to hold him- a smart penalty, actually), but all in all it was a great debut for Ugoh. Can a LT win rookie of the year? We are looking at this year's version of Marcus McNeill folks...

On to the defense. OK. So they lost their two starting CB's. First of all- playing CB in Tony Dungy's tampa 2 scheme is not the most difficult thing in the world to do. You saw Jason David in another uniform on Thursday night, and the guy was toast. Any Titans fans expecting big things from Nick Harper this year- my advice to you is to wait for Pacman. Plus, Marlin Jackson might actually be BETTER than both David and Harper. He's physical, not overly fast, has decent ball skills, and can tackle. Remember, the guy was a first round pick. As for Kelvin Hayden and Daymeion Hughes (when the hell did he change his first name to Dante? And why?), they are both solid NFL DB's who will make some plays and be exploited at times- like all CB's in the NFL. (I still maintain that playing CB is the single most difficult position to play in the NFL- aside from QB). When everyone said this offseason- "The Colts lost too much on defense", they are completely ignoring the fact that Bob Sanders was sidelined for a good portion of last season. If you factor in the losses (Booger McFarland, the two CB's, etc.), but ADD in a top five safety in the game, how did the Colts lose too much? They probably gained if anything. I'm not anointing this D as the '85 Bears and they may very well give up some 4 TD games to Maurice Jones-Drew. But the bottom line is- this defense is not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. The D-Line is solid, the LB's are solid, Bob Sanders is healthy, and Antoine Bethea is one of the more underrated defensive players in the entire league. They might not be a top ten defense statistically, but beyond the elite defenses in the NFL, the Colts rank right there with rest.

Oh and they have Peyton Manning- who is well on his way to being the greatest QB of all time. Colts win the Super Bowl again (unless Addai gets hurt- actually, screw it- in that case they'll just ride DeDe Dorsey all the way to the championship again).

Now on to the rest of this crazy league...

AFC East

1) Patriots- OK so they gave Tom Brady some new toys at WR, drafted Brandon Meriweather and stayed the same along the offensive line and for the most part the defense. Rodney Harrison and Seymour are out for a while, but it won't matter. Jarvis Green is fine and James Sanders will do quite well at safety. I still think the Colts absolutely own the Patriots (they've won the last three contests), so I'm not as high on these Pats as most others are. Their coach and QB make them the front-runners to lose to the Colts in the AFC championship, but I just don't think they can beat Indy. What's kind of scary is their schedule, with 6 automatic wins in their incredibly weak division. At worst 11-5, at best 13-3.

2) Bills- Marshawn Lynch had absolutely NO WHERE to go in the preseason. If the O-line doesn't step it up, this team is going to be dreadful once again. My guess is that they'll put it together. They lost their best two defensive players in free agency and I'm not exactly a J.P. Losman fan, but Jason Peters (how did he go undrafted again?) and Lee Evans are two rising stars and the rest of the division pretty much sucks. Probably won't challenge for a wild card but could go 8-8 at absolute best. More like the 6-10, 7-9 range.

3) Jets- This team is SCREAMING 6-10. First of all, the left side of the offensive line is in shambles. Jacob Bender was HORRENDOUS in the preseason, and the D-Brick over Matt Leinart pick in the 06 draft is starting to look like a typical Jets draft-day gaffe. And all you have to do is look at the schedule. Last year the Jets were awarded a playoff spot with the easiest schedule in the league (they lost to Cleveland, too). How's this for pressure? Beat Cleo Lemon and you're in the playoffs. Real tough. And I haven't even gotten to the QB yet. Chad Pennington is horrible. Terrible. Not an NFL QB. Smart guy- maybe, doesn't have an NFL arm- never did. Peter King rated him like #105ish in his top 500 players in the NFL list. What? Chad Pennington is the 105th best football player in the world? There are only 104 players I would rather have than Chad Pennington? Did he watch the Jets at all last year? Thomas Jones will struggle behind that O-line, and the defense (like Revis and Rhodes- hate everybody else), will keep them in some games. 6-10. Done.

4) Dolphins- Not much to say about this team. When Jesse Chatman is getting headlines in the offseason, you know you're heading in the wrong direction. Top 5 in the 2008 NFL draft? They're a contender for that. 3-13 wouldn't surprise me. Neither would 6-10.

AFC North

1) Ravens- Tough, tough division to predict. First of all, I think the Bengals and Ravens will split the season series and end up tied at the end. 9-7, 9-7 or 10-6, 10-6. So you could put the Bengals here at one. The division will be decided by a tiebreaker. It will be interesting to see if McNair can stay healthy again, and if Willis McGahee can actually do something on a solid team. The defense remains dominant- losing Thomas won't slow them down too much. 9-7 or 10-6.

2) Bengals- I can't wait to see what Chad Johnson does this year. The defense is still shaky, but Carson, Rudi, and the Beavers on the outside give them a shot at the playoffs. 9-7, or 10-6.

3) Steelers- A very tough team to read. What Big Ben will we see? Santonio Holmes could have a breakout year (look at his stats at the end of last season). Everything else pretty much stays the same besides the head coach, so it's really all on Big Ben. I don't trust him to make the playoffs, but they'll be competitive. 8-8 seems about right, but a game or two under.500 wouldn't surprise me at all.

4) Browns- JUST PLAY BRADY QUINN. The funny thing about Joe Thomas is this. If Brady Quinn ends up being a bust, Joe Thomas automatically is a bust too. Why? Because if the Browns spend the next 4-5 years finding out that Brady Quinn was not worth it, what a waste of a pick is it to pass on Adrian Peterson- who could make an impact right away- to land Thomas, who could become a great o-lineman on a team no one cares about. I'm still just annoyed that they screwed the Cardinals by taking Thomas at 3. I like the safeties and Wimbley, but this team still has a lot of holes. Calais Campbell? 4-12ish.

AFC South
1) Colts- Best team. Best player. Good coach. They could go 16-0. Or 11-5. Either way, they'll win the Super Bowl again.

2) Titans- Why Michael Griffin? Why not help Vince Young with a WR? Why Titans? WHY?!? Well, that question seems to have been answered. Michael Griffin was arguably the best football player on the board when the Titans picked him. Versatile, aggressive, great special teams potential, Griffin was great value at 19 overall. And if you look at the WR's who went later on (Bowe, Meachem, Davis, Gonzalez), only Gonzalez figures to make an impact this season (And that's because he's the #3 with Peyton Manning). The other three (coincidentally all from the SEC), are rumored to be red-shirting. How would a shaky, young, inexperienced, rookie WR fare with a QB not known for his accuracy? Titans made the right pick, despite what many said. Now, what really stops me from making this team my mega-sleeper is Pacman. Pacman, Pacman, Pacman. Stay out of the strip clubs, and get on the field. You have the potential to be a game-changer on special teams and on defense and you could develop into one of the games best CB's. Call me crazy, but as for troubled, talented, NFL goofballs- I'd rather have Pacman as my #1 CB than Vick as my #1 QB. Jeff Fisher is a good coach, and LenDale White can't possibly be this bad, can he? Vince Young is special and Keith Bullock gets overlooked each year. They'll challenge for a playoff spot. 9-7, 10-6ish.

3) Jaguars- It's sad. MJD, Fragile Fred, a very good, physical, defense. Rashean Mathis. And this team will be held down, once again by it's QB situation. And they're destined for mediocrity because the solid defense will always keep them around .500. Del Rio will get the ax soon enough, and away we go. And the sadder thing is, beyond Brian Brohm, there just aren't too many QB's to get excited about in the upcoming two drafts. Can Matt Jones move back? 7-9ish.

4) Texans- Sleeper alert. Jacoby Jones looks like a stud in the making. Matt Schaub could be good. Some of the D-lineman have to turn into good players, right? Michael Boulware was a good acquisition for a team needing help at S. DeMeco Ryans is a beast. Andre Johnson could easily catch 100 balls. They O-line situation is still sketchy, but everything else seems to be moving in the right direction. They are a Darren McFadden away from being a contender. But the only way they are going to get McFadden is if they land a top 3 pick... hmmm. OK forget the sleeper alert- 3-13 and McFadden is in Houston. The Bush mistake is overlooked when D-Mac is stiff-arming his way to rookie of the year honors in 08 and Mario Williams is introducing himself to Vince Young twice a year. A little ahead of myself? So what.

AFC West

1) Chargers- They are good, yes, but I just don't trust them to beat the Patriots or Colts. Craig Davis in round one? That was a joke right? I love these teams that just refuse to improve their subpar WR corps year after year. The Chargers are one of them. However, they do have one of the league's best O-line's, the best TE, and the best HB. Philip Rivers is the key to the season. If he plays as well as he did last year, or improves, they'll be a top 3 team in the AFC. If he struggles, they could go 9-7 and still win this division. I'll guess he'll be fine. The defense is strong and Merriman could win DPOY again. Not 14-2, but 11-5 seems about right. 10-6 wouldn't surprise me though, either.

2) Raiders- WHAT? Raiders before Denver? I don't know, I just like this defense. I know McCown is the starter right now, but once Culpepper comes in, can't you just see Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry going off for a few games? Plus LaMont Jordan is pissed off, and Art Shell is no longer there. Great young secondary, and no one will be taking them seriously. Could sneak up on a lot of teams. 7-9 seems about right.

3) Broncos- Some think this is a Super Bowl team. I disagree. I see Cutler taking a step back this year, and deficiencies along the defensive line won't help their run defense. I love their CB's yes, but Lynch has lost a step and D.J. Williams seems like this years version of Jonathan Vilma- not in the right situation for him to succeed. Shanny is a great coach, but I'm just not buying the Broncos this season. 6-10, 7-9ish.

4) Chiefs- Worst coach in the NFL. Shaky o-line. Aging defense. No passing game. With the first pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.

NFC East

1) Giants- Eli Manning grew up this offseason. When Tiki Barber questioned his leadership skills, Eli fired back at the selfish HB, and finally showed the kind of confidence we've been waiting for from the young guy. Look, for all the heat this kid takes, lets take a look at one important statistic. Not yards, not touchdowns, not picks, not rating. With the shaky team around him (lameduck coach, bad secondary, sketchy o-line), Eli Manning, who is STILL A YOUNG QB (I don't know why everyone treats him like he's been in the league for 10 years), has led his team to the playoffs in TWO CONSECUTIVE YEARS. This is not a typo. Yes, the victim of a million jokes about his somewhat awkward demeanor, Eli Manning, in his ONLY two full years as a starting QB in the NFL- HAS NEVER MISSED THE PLAYOFFS. Give the kid a break. On to the rest of the team- Aaron Ross was a horrible pick. He will be nothing more than a nickel back in the NFL. The Giants secondary is terrible. With the kind of pass rush they can generate (Kiwi, Tuck, Osi, Strahan), any other secondary in the league would be solid if not spectacular. They need DB's badly, as R.W. McQuarters and Sam Madison are just not cutting it. The defense is a little inconsistent, but has potential. IF Eli and the offense can have a big year and keep the D off the field, this team will be good. And I predict Eli breaks out this year. Something like 23 td's and 11 interceptions. As for the running-game, has there ever been a more overrated offseason loss than Tiki Barber? OK. Tiki was good, but come on. People act like the Chargers are losing LT. Tiki was more of a distraction than a team player, and obviously he and Eli weren't on the same page. The game of football is more than just 11 individuals carrying out their duty on each play. It's 11 men working TOGETHER to achieve success through communication, execution, and teamwork. Call me superstitious or whatever but how can you expect success from a team with a HB whose not on the same page as his QB or his head coach? You can't! It's amazing that they made the playoffs last year. I'd rather have Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns than Tiki Barber. There it is- I said it. And I hope Tiki doesn't make it to the hall of fame. As you can tell, I'm not a huge Tiki fan. Good talent, not someone I'd want on my team. At least T.O. cares about winning- you get the feeling Tiki just played because it was his job. NO ONE is picking the Giants. 10-6. You heard it here first.

2) Cowboys- I want to put them at 1, I really do. I think they have one of the most talented teams in the league. I like Wade Phillips and really think DeMarcus Ware can win DPOY this season. The secondary is solid with the addition of Ken Hamlin and the offensive line played well last season. Tony Romo is still a question mark in my book, and now opposing coordinators have film on him. Terry Glenn is rumored to be out for maybe the whole season, which will hurt the offense, and make teams focus on T.O. even more. They should've drafted another WR. 8-8 to 10-6. Contend for a wild card spot.

3) Eagles- IF McNabb stays healthy, they'll be in contention to win the division. But he never does, so why would this year be any different? The receivers don't excite me and the defense is getting up there in age. The window of opportunity is closing fast on this team. Kevin Kolb looks like a stud, though. 9-7 seems about right.

4) Redskins- Sleeper alert. Portis behind a good o-line? Pete Kendall was a great addition. Jason Campbell could pull a Tony Romo and lead this overlooked team to the playoffs. I wouldn't bet on it, though. As for the defense, it's talented, but they seem to annually underachieve. 6-10ish. This is such a tough division to predict, as I could see #4 being #1, and #1 being #4.

NFC North
1) Bears- THIS IS THE WORST DIVISION IN FOOTBALL. The Bears win it by default. Rex Grossman is erratic, but will have his moments in the regular season. I just don't trust him in the playoffs, especially if they have to go on the road. This is still a dominant defense and Devin Hester is just scary. They won't win as many as last year, but they'll have the division wrapped up early. 10-6 or 11-5 seems right.

2) Packers- Solid CB duo. Rising defense. Favre is still holding them back, and the running-game hinges on an unproven and unspectacular rookie from Nebraska. They'll win some games, but that's only because this division is just brutal. 7-9ish.

3) Lions- I want to pick them to win the division, I really do. But I just can't. Calvin's not ready, Jon Kitna is Jon Kitna, and they have no secondary. Other than that, this is a sleeper candidate. They'll win some games, but like the rest of this division, it won't be pretty this season. 6-10ish.

4) Vikings- Travaris Jackson. Bobby Wade. Troy Williamson. We have a great running-game, including the steal of the draft with AD, and a solid defense, but we are going to rely on the worst WR corps in the history of the world and Travaris Jackson at QB. Byron Leftwich, are you there? On the bright side, Sidney Rice is the next Chris Henry (Bengals WR). But not with Jackson, sorry. 5-11ish.

NFC South

1) Saints- 0-1 so what. This team has a lot going for them. Are they the NFC juggernauts everyone else is making them out to be? Probably not. Are they a good bet to go to the Super Bowl? Probably not. The defense is still sketchy and they won't sneak up on anyone this year. Plus a harder schedule, and away we go. 10-6ish.

2) Falcons- Joey Harrington? I'm joking, right? Wrong. I'm a Bobby Petrino guy and this team will be a lot better than people think. Maybe not playoffs, but they'll be in the mix. 7-9 to 9-7.

3) Panthers- Everyone's favorite preseason pick is back at it again. As long as Jake Delhomme is still under center, I'll stay away from picking the Panthers to go to the playoffs. The defense is great, sure, but the offense can't get it done. 7-9ish.

4) Buccaneers- Jake Long alert! Jake Long alert!

NFC West
1) Seahawks- Marcus Tubbs out for the season. UGH. Let's re-visit the 2004 NFL draft. After the Cowboys inexplicably passed on Steven Jackson only to take Julius Jones in round two, Seattle was sitting there with a gaping need at DT. Vince Wilfork had been scooped up by the Patriots a few picks earlier (HOW DID HE FALL SO FAR I'LL NEVER KNOW), so the Seahawks had a decision to make. Marcus Tubbs or Steven Jackson? I wanted Jackson. I did. Hometown kid, hard runner, easily the best HB in the 04 class. Shaun Alexander was in his prime, but come on- it's Shaun Alexander. Sure he's OK but did the Hawks really want to give him that contract two years ago? NO! He runs soft, offers nothing in the passing game, and reminds me of a west coast version of Tiki Barber. Plus, the shelflife of an average NFL HB is short, and its STEVEN FREAKIN' JACKSON. The Seahawks pulled this same stunt with Ricky Watters a few years earlier when they drafted Shaun Alexander to be the HB of the future. It worked out. So of course, they'll do it again with Steven Jackson. Right? Nope. Marcus Tubbs. Eh, whatever, let's see how Tubbs can do. Well he's been great when he's been on the field. The problem is- HE CAN'T STAY ON THE FIELD! Two straight years on IR and now he's probably seen his last days as a Seattle Seahawk. There goes the run defense, there goes the Super Bowl chances, there goes the 2007 season. Unless BRANDON MEBANE- remember that name- can make a difference. We know this team got better, we know they're healthy on offense now. If the run defense holds up- IF- this team will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. 11-5ish.

2) Cardinals- Every year the Cardinals are super sleeper. Every year, they are talented, especially on offense. But what makes this year different? BECAUSE THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!! Denny Green is gone and in comes Ken Whisenhunt, who won a Super Bowl when his best passer was Antwaan Randle El. Rus Grimm, Al Johnson, Gandy, and Levi Brown help the line, and Edge is set up for a big year. Matt Leinart has USC-like WR's and the defense will do just enough in a division without much defense. Everyone hypes up the Niners when the Cardinals are clearly better- I don't get it. 9-7ish. Contend for a wild card.

3) Rams- I wanted to pick them to win the entire NFC. Then I took a look at their defense. Sorry, Rams fans, Adam Carriker is not the type of guy to take your team to the next level. He could be a good player, but that's no reason to think you've made the leap. Bulger's alright, and Steven Jackson is a beast, but the defense will hold them back again. 8-8ish.

4) 49ers- Everyone's favorite preseason pick. Ahhh, I love it. This team is so overrated it makes me sick. Just watch. Alex Smith will struggle all year, and once Frank Gore and Darrell Jackson go down, it's over. Patrick Willis was a great pick, but they overpayed for Nate Clements and won't be able to sneak up on anyone this year. 6-10ish.

Awards
MVP- Peyton Manning
DPOY- DeMarcus Ware
OROY- Adrian Peterson
DROY- Patrick Willis

Playoffs
AFC
1) Colts
2) Patriots
3) Chargers
4) Ravens
5) Bengals
6) Titans

NFC
1) Seahawks
2) Bears
3) Saints
4) Giants
5) Cowboys
6) Cardinals

AFC Championship: Colts over Patriots
NFC Championship: Seahawks over Saints

Super Bowl XLII: Colts 34, Seahawks 20

fenikz
09-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't know if you a Colts fan or not but this screams homer, I'm glad you notice how bad the Rams D is unlike all the tards at ESPN

overall good write up

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-08-2007, 05:28 PM
3) Jets- This team is SCREAMING 6-10. First of all, the left side of the offensive line is in shambles. Jacob Bender was HORRENDOUS in the preseason, and the D-Brick over Matt Leinart pick in the 06 draft is starting to look like a typical Jets draft-day gaffe. And all you have to do is look at the schedule. Last year the Jets were awarded a playoff spot with the easiest schedule in the league (they lost to Cleveland, too). How's this for pressure? Beat Cleo Lemon and you're in the playoffs. Real tough. And I haven't even gotten to the QB yet. Chad Pennington is horrible. Terrible. Not an NFL QB. Smart guy- maybe, doesn't have an NFL arm- never did. Peter King rated him like #105ish in his top 500 players in the NFL list. What? Chad Pennington is the 105th best football player in the world? There are only 104 players I would rather have than Chad Pennington? Did he watch the Jets at all last year? Thomas Jones will struggle behind that O-line, and the defense (like Revis and Rhodes- hate everybody else), will keep them in some games. 6-10. Done

this was all i read, but i'll read the rest later.

typical Jets draft-day gaffe?? D'Brick was an easy pick, and i question whether u watched anything in college. he hasn't looked great in the NFL i agree, but he's still exremely young and has room to grow. typical quick reaction by a person who doesn't know his stuff. Also, Leinart? Give me Cutler pre and post draft, without a doubt.

Pennington is horrible?? he plays 12+ games and the Jets always make the playoffs. he doesn't they don't. U watch a preseason game or highlights and think u have a clue......wake up.

I'd go as far as to neg rep u because this isn't something that shows much knowledge, but since u put in so much effort to write a long piece i'll let it pass and say that i hope the rest of this long post is better than this small portion.

BuckNaked
09-08-2007, 05:47 PM
How can you call yourself a Vikings fan when you can't even get Tarvaris Jackson's name right?

JK17
09-08-2007, 05:49 PM
AFC West

1) Chargers- They are good, yes, but I just don't trust them to beat the Patriots or Colts. Craig Davis in round one? That was a joke right? I love these teams that just refuse to improve their subpar WR corps year after year. The Chargers are one of them.

Read most of the post, disagreed with a lot of it, don't think its worth it to debate every little detail I didn't like, so I skipped to my team. Not a bad overall evaluation, just wanted to point out the obvious paradox (?) here...

The Chargers draft a WR in round one...yet they refused to improve their WR corps?

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh and they have Peyton Manning- who is well on his way to being the greatest QB of all time. Colts win the Super Bowl again (unless Addai gets hurt- actually, screw it- in that case they'll just ride DeDe Dorsey all the way to the championship again).

not sure when u wrote this, or if u know, but Kenton Keith is the backup and Dorsey isn't even on the squad.....

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Who are you?

yodabear
09-08-2007, 06:08 PM
I'd go as far as to neg rep u because this isn't something that shows much knowledge, but since u put in so much effort to write a long piece i'll let it pass and say that i hope the rest of this long post is better than this small portion.

Its not, don't waste your time.

TitanAddict
09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
I like the belief in the Titans, baby! And you're right about Michael Griffin. He is clearly a playmaker. How long did it take you to right all of that?

Xenos
09-08-2007, 06:13 PM
AFC West

1) Chargers- They are good, yes, but I just don't trust them to beat the Patriots or Colts. Craig Davis in round one? That was a joke right? I love these teams that just refuse to improve their subpar WR corps year after year. The Chargers are one of them. However, they do have one of the league's best O-line's, the best TE, and the best HB. Philip Rivers is the key to the season. If he plays as well as he did last year, or improves, they'll be a top 3 team in the AFC. If he struggles, they could go 9-7 and still win this division. I'll guess he'll be fine. The defense is strong and Merriman could win DPOY again. Not 14-2, but 11-5 seems about right. 10-6 wouldn't surprise me though, either.

Dude. The Colts drafted Anthony Gonzales in the first round as well so I don't know what you're talking about. We needed a wide receiver and we got the best available. Who else were we going to get? Jarrett. We already have someone like that in Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson. Steve Smith? Also have someone who can move the chain in Eric Parker.
In the end we needed a deep threat, and we got one in Davis. And who's to say it's a reach. If anything, I have a strange feeling that if we didn't pick him then Indy would have.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Read most of the post, disagreed with a lot of it, don't think its worth it to debate every little detail I didn't like, so I skipped to my team. Not a bad overall evaluation, just wanted to point out the obvious paradox (?) here...

The Chargers draft a WR in round one...yet they refused to improve their WR corps?

Key word: IMPROVE. Craig Davis was a terrible pick. I don't care if they drafted him at #1 overall, it doesn't IMPROVE their WR corps. Just because you draft a guy in round one, doesn't mean he automatically becomes a solid NFL player. If you want to say they "tried to improve their WR corps" you can say that. I guess they did try (and failed, IMO). I just would have never drafted Craig Davis...

How can you call yourself a Vikings fan when you can't even get Tarvaris Jackson's name right?

I'm not a Vikings fan and as you can tell, this isn't any official article or anything. If it was, I would have looked up his name.

I don't know if you a Colts fan or not but this screams homer, I'm glad you notice how bad the Rams D is unlike all the tards at ESPN

I'm a Seahawks fan. I just don't understand how the Colts get so much disrespect when they are clearly the best team in the NFL.

As for DeDe Dorsey- I did not check every single preseason cut, sorry. I am aware now that Kenton Keith is the backup. Honestly I just wanted to write "ride DeDe Dorsey to the title" because DeDe Dorsey is one of the funniest names in the NFL. I picked him up in fantasy last season just so I could re-name my team "The DeDe Dorsey" train.

Don't know what neg rep means.

As for Pennington, I live in New York. I've seen nearly every single game of his career. His atrocious performance this preseason has nothing to do with my thoughts on him as a bad NFL QB. When he's healthy (rarely), he does usually lead his team to some victories. You got me there. I have no argument, winning football games is the number one most important stat for a QB. However, I hate everything else about him and I still don't like his physical tools, and will NEVER believe that Chad will lead a team to the Super Bowl. (That's what you ultimately want from your QB, right?). I'll agree to disagree when it comes to pop-gun Pennington.

As for D-Brick over Leinart- I know exactly what D-Brick is. He's a young player just getting his feet wet in the NFL. He showed signs last year but still has a lot of room to improve. I said it's STARTING to look like a typical Jets draft-day Gaffe. In time, we will know whether or not it is. I don't want to re-visit Leinart vs. Cutler, but I just wish the Jets (for their sake) had taken any QB, and to me, Leinart was/is the best one. If you disagree and think Cutler is/will be better, that's fine. I see both points of view in the ML vs. JC argument. In time we will know the answer...

Who are you?

I am an average NFL fan who decided to put together a short preview based on my gut feeling for each team. Many of my predictions will be wrong (and some of my analysis will probably end up being false too), I admit. But I can't stand the crappy previews we get with the same information and every "analyst" taking no chances and making the "safe" picks in predicting this league when in all reality it is a crapshoot.

Ho0k Em'
ouch, not a fan of the chiefs huh?

The Great Jonathan Vilma

thanks for helping me save time. much appreciated

gpngc
09-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Care to share some constructive criticism, angry Packers fan?

BuckNaked
09-08-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm not a Vikings fan and as you can tell, this isn't any official article or anything. If it was, I would have looked up his name.

You mentioned the Vikings as "we" in your little sum up.

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm a Seahawks fan.
Well that would explain the Seahawks in the Superbowl prediction.

JK17
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Key word: IMPROVE. Craig Davis was a terrible pick. I don't care if they drafted him at #1 overall, it doesn't IMPROVE their WR corps. Just because you draft a guy in round one, doesn't mean he automatically becomes a solid NFL player. If you want to say they "tried to improve their WR corps" you can say that. I guess they did try (and failed, IMO). I just would have never drafted Craig Davis...

I highly doubt you have seen enough footage of Craig Davis, or studied him hard enough to make any kind of judgement on Craig Davis. And even if you didn't he looked fine in the presesaon. But how he does is besdies my point, what did you expect them to do. You said they just don't improve their WR corps? They had to start somewhere! What did you want them to do, trade for Chad Johnson? They have to start somewhere, and they sure as hell won't be able to bring in an impact player without overpaying anyway.

I doubt you know enough about the Chargers WR situation as is, Vincent Jackson is the number one receiver. He's going into his third year, he was drafted to improve the WRs. Craig Davis was drafted this year. They are improving the position, they weren't just going to snap their fingers and fix the problem.

Wide Receiver is the most insignificant position as is in the NFL anyway.

For someone who is sick of the media always taking the same stance, I'm pretty sure there's tons of the media that will tell you it was a bad pick or a reach.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 06:26 PM
You mentioned the Vikings as "we" in your little sum up.

Oh. That's a mistake. There are probably a bunch of those.... Is Whisenhunt spelled right?

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-08-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm a Seahawks fan. I just don't understand how the Colts get so much disrespect when they are clearly the best team in the NFL.

As for DeDe Dorsey- I did not check every single preseason cut, sorry. I am aware now that Kenton Keith is the backup. Honestly I just wanted to write "ride DeDe Dorsey to the title" because DeDe Dorsey is one of the funniest names in the NFL. I picked him up in fantasy last season just so I could re-name my team "The DeDe Dorsey" train.

Don't know what neg rep means.

As for Pennington, I live in New York. I've seen nearly every single game of his career. His atrocious performance this preseason has nothing to do with my thoughts on him as a bad NFL QB. When he's healthy (rarely), he does usually lead his team to some victories. You got me there. I have no argument, winning football games is the number one most important stat for a QB. However, I hate everything else about him and I still don't like his physical tools, and will NEVER believe that Chad will lead a team to the Super Bowl. (That's what you ultimately want from your QB, right?). I'll agree to disagree when it comes to pop-gun Pennington.

As for D-Brick over Leinart- I know exactly what D-Brick is. He's a young player just getting his feet wet in the NFL. He showed signs last year but still has a lot of room to improve. I said it's STARTING to look like a typical Jets draft-day Gaffe. In time, we will know whether or not it is. I don't want to re-visit Leinart vs. Cutler, but I just wish the Jets (for their sake) had taken any QB, and to me, Leinart was/is the best one. If you disagree and think Cutler is/will be better, that's fine. I see both points of view in the ML vs. JC argument. In time we will know the answer...

Who are you?

I am an average NFL fan who decided to put together a short preview based on my gut feeling for each team. Many of my predictions will be wrong (and some of my analysis will probably end up being false too), I admit. But I can't stand the crappy previews we get with the same information and every "analyst" taking no chances and making the "safe" picks in predicting this league when in all reality it is a crapshoot.

i like this post because u went about defending ur previous comments in a well spoken manner. i do appreciate ur effort for writing a long full league review, that takes time and effort. people will always disagree, but props for the effort and putting them out there.

As for Pennington. a winner is a winner, but i see what ur getting at as far as arm strength, etc. but i'll take the wins. he's a smart QB who knows his limitations. Do i think he can lead us to the SB? Probably not, but its not going to be all him. Peyton won it last year after his worst playoff performance, and there have been plenty of 'not SB caliber QBs' who have won the big one. Think Dilfer, or Brad Johnson (similar player).

D'Brick hasn't looked great, i agree. i believe he needs to put on some weight to handle the bigger DEs. Leinart or Cutler is another topic, but a LT was a definite need and the hope was that Pennington would come back healthy, which he did. You get one pick, and LT was the correct choice IMO, and they were able to get Kellen in the second round.

What did u mean by 'typical Jets draft-day Gaffe'. I don't know if the Jets have been poor enough drafters to get this sort of title, we aren't Detroit. To be honest, there are a large number of players that are part of this team that were drafted by the Jets. i won't list all of them, but the list is long, including first day studs and later steals.

again i'll say thanks for the effort of the long post, but with those sorts of comments about peoples teams u have to expect some good debates, for or against

gpngc
09-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I highly doubt you have seen enough footage of Craig Davis, or studied him hard enough to make any kind of judgement on Craig Davis. And even if you didn't he looked fine in the presesaon. But how he does is besdies my point, what did you expect them to do. You said they just don't improve their WR corps? They had to start somewhere! What did you want them to do, trade for Chad Johnson? They have to start somewhere, and they sure as hell won't be able to bring in an impact player without overpaying anyway.

I doubt you know enough about the Chargers WR situation as is, Vincent Jackson is the number one receiver. He's going into his third year, he was drafted to improve the WRs. Craig Davis was drafted this year. They are improving the position, they weren't just going to snap their fingers and fix the problem.

Wide Receiver is the most insignificant position as is in the NFL anyway.

For someone who is sick of the media always taking the same stance, I'm pretty sure there's tons of the media that will tell you it was a bad pick or a reach.

Just because I'm sick of Sean Salisbury picking the Panthers every year and everyone proclaiming the Chargers and Pats as better than Colts, doesn't mean I don't agree with popular opinion on some points.

I did watch Craig "Buster" Davis at LSU and came away unimpressed. Early Doucet was better and Dwayne Bowe was better. Davis doesn't have the strength to succeed against the phsyical DB's in the NFL and I question his route-running. He reminds me of a poor-mans Devery Henderson.

I wouldn't touch him until the 4th round. That's just my opinion.

What did I want the Chargers to do? You have a point- it's not easy to improve your WR corps by trading for Chad Johnson like you said. What would I have done? Probably taken Dwayne Jarrett. Now Jarrett hasn't done much yet in his young career, but I would still take him over Craig Davis. You can tell me that Vincent Jackson is the same type of WR as Jarrett, and you may have a point there. I still go for the BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER available and if you had your heart set on a WR there, you take DJ, no questions asked.

And I agree with you that WR is probably one of the more insignificant positions in the NFL. Which is why, WITH a subpar WR corps, I still think the Chargers contend in the AFC.

JK17
09-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Just because I'm sick of Sean Salisbury picking the Panthers every year and everyone proclaiming the Chargers and Pats as better than Colts, doesn't mean I don't agree with popular opinion on some points.

I did watch Craig "Buster" Davis at LSU and came away unimpressed. Early Doucet was better and Dwayne Bowe was better. Davis doesn't have the strength to succeed against the phsyical DB's in the NFL and I question his route-running. He reminds me of a poor-mans Devery Henderson.

What did I want the Chargers to do? You have a point- it's not easy to improve your WR corps by trading for Chad Johnson like you said. What would I have done? Probably taken Dwayne Jarrett. Now Jarrett hasn't done much yet in his young career, but I would still take him over Craig Davis. You can tell me that Vincent Jackson is the same type of WR as Jarrett, and you may have a point there. I still go for the BEST FOOTBALL PLAYER available and if you had your heart set on a WR there, you take DJ, no questions asked.

And I agree with you that WR is probably one of the more insignificant positions in the NFL. Which is why, WITH a subpar WR corps, I still think the Chargers contend in the NFC.

I disagree strongly with the 4th round assessment, and he wasn't drafted for his strength. I'm not trying to blindly support the guy, I was upset with the pick too, but LSU fans all had a lot of good thigns to say about him, which gives some comfort.

Now, that being said, the reason we don't go Jarrett is personnell issues. We really, really could not have drafted another big slow guy, its all we have, that certainly would not have been improving. Just like you say Davis' strength is an issue, why can't you say Jarrett's speed will be an issue with the faster NFL players? If you want him for his catching, Davis has just as good, if not better hands then Jarrett has.

I just have an issue with you saying they didn't improve. There was nothing else they could have done to improve.

Caddy
09-08-2007, 06:38 PM

If the Bucs are as bad as you think they are, which they aren't, Brohm would be the logical pick.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 06:47 PM
What did u mean by 'typical Jets draft-day Gaffe'. I don't know if the Jets have been poor enough drafters to get this sort of title, we aren't Detroit. To be honest, there are a large number of players that are part of this team that were drafted by the Jets. i won't list all of them, but the list is long, including first day studs and later steals.

You must be a young Jets fan...

Have you ever seen the annual Jets draft day gaffe clips on ESPN?

Recently the Jets drafts have been amazing compared to what they used to be...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
I disagree with the Broncos assessment. It wouldn't totally shock me to see us miss the playoffs, but I'm still expecting 8-8 to 10-6 area. I don't see how Cutler will take a step back, with a stud LT coming back, a full offseason to work with Walker, and another year of experience for Marshall and Scheffler, and an improved running game. Those all would seem to lead to more successes, if you ask me. I think we'll finish 2nd in the division, although like you, I'm not expecting the Raiders to suck this year.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I disagree with the Broncos assessment. It wouldn't totally shock me to see us miss the playoffs, but I'm still expecting 8-8 to 10-6 area. I don't see how Cutler will take a step back, with a stud LT coming back, a full offseason to work with Walker, and another year of experience for Marshall and Scheffler, and an improved running game. Those all would seem to lead to more successes, if you ask me. I think we'll finish 2nd in the division, although like you, I'm not expecting the Raiders to suck this year.

My rationale on Cutler (and Alex Smith for that matter), is pretty stupid, to be honest.

The way I see it, there are a bunch of young QB's who will play a prominent role in the success of their team this season. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, J.P. Losman, probably missing some off the top of my head. Now, ALL of them aren't going to do well. It's just not going to happen. So because I predict a big year from Eli, Vince, and Matt, and predict Ben and J.P. to be so-so, the young guns who I predict will take a step back are Cutler and Alex Smith. I don't have any great inside information or anything on why this will occur- but it's just my gut feeling. Hopefully, for your sake (a Broncos fan I assume), I'm wrong.

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 07:17 PM
one game and you're ready to crown the colts...

if you want to crown them, go ahead and crown their asses...
but they are exactly who we thought they are...

(which is a team with one win against a rather stagnant looking offense this year... i still think with a few weeks the attrition will get to them and they'll look like a bob-sanders-less team with bob-sanders (top five defensive player in the game. you know?))

p.s. i think your hate for pennington is way-overdone. he plays the game. he makes plays. so what if his arm isn't hella strong. it's not like he turns it over all the time overshooting people.

skinzzfan25
09-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't see what your getting at with the Giants. By getting ~60% of their offensive production displaced this offseason, they benefit? Whether he's a jerk or not, that is a lot of yards falling into other's laps. I just don't think they can make up for that kind of loss this year, especially behind an average line in a 'ground pound' style of the NFCE.

A wildcard spot is not out of the question, if they can stay consistent throughout the year.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't see what your getting at with the Giants. By getting ~60% of their offensive production displaced this offseason, they benefit? Whether he's a jerk or not, that is a lot of yards falling into other's laps. I just don't think they can make up for that kind of loss this year, especially behind an average line in a 'ground pound' style of the NFCE.

A wildcard spot is not out of the question, if they can stay consistent throughout the year.

To the Colts comment- The Colts have been my Super Bowl pick all along. The Saints game had nothing to do with it.

As for this Giants/Tiki comment: 60% of their offensive production displaced? Where did it go? So as Tiki left, 60% of their offensive production left too? When Eli goes to hand the ball off, Tiki won't be there- so they won't gain ANY of that 60% this year! OH NO!

Just because you get "worse" on paper doesn't mean you can't improve. Tiki Barber is more talented than Droughns/Jacobs. I'd still rather have Droughns/Jacobs because of the chemistry factor.

TimD
09-08-2007, 07:43 PM
its kinda weird having guys that just joined and have less than 25 posts doing these big write ups...

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 07:44 PM
its kinda weird having guys that just joined and have less than 25 posts doing these big write ups...

they wanna copy all of us cool kids.
wait. i still haven't done mine yet.
entitled
'the 2007-2008 NFL Season preview: in haikus'

skinzzfan25
09-08-2007, 07:50 PM
To the Colts comment- The Colts have been my Super Bowl pick all along. The Saints game had nothing to do with it.

As for this Giants/Tiki comment: 60% of their offensive production displaced? Where did it go? So as Tiki left, 60% of their offensive production left too? When Eli goes to hand the ball off, Tiki won't be there- so they won't gain ANY of that 60% this year! OH NO!

Just because you get "worse" on paper doesn't mean you can't improve. Tiki Barber is more talented than Droughns/Jacobs. I'd still rather have Droughns/Jacobs because of the chemistry factor.

You should probably finish reading, as I said the displayed yards fall into other's laps. What I was trying to say was that if you have a starting back who failed to get over 800 yards, and a questionable 16 game every play back (he's a great goalline/#2 back, he needs to prove himself), I'd be worried.

And I'd take pure talent over a "chemistry factor" any day. When Eli turns around, he's not going to have Tiki. Or on passing downs as his safety valve. He's going to have to make plays for himself. To me, that too big of a question to declare them the winners of the NFCE.

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 07:55 PM

Just so you know, Droughns was dropped to 3rd on the depth chart, I doubt he'll be a factor this season at all.

princefielder28
09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
rookie RB out of Nebraska = Brandon Jackson

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 08:04 PM

it's ridiculous then.
i mean, you can't lose half your defense and say, i'm gonna win the super bowl again?

what are the chances of them repeating according to standard statistical odds? and yeah. so, the colts rampaged over a mediocre defense. big deal. i give you till week five to see the amount of close games over real mediocre teams. like, the texans and titans, while they may not win. will definitely show that the colts are highly impregnable on defense. with or without bob sanders. they're susceptible to the run and to the pass. have first year CB's that will be beat by the end of the season plenty of times with a bit of game-tape on them.

basically all it takes to beat the colts is to run against them and control the clock, for some reason, one of the better rushing attacks in the league, couldn't do that. go figure. where did sean peyton's brain go, who knows.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 08:15 PM
it's ridiculous then.
i mean, you can't lose half your defense and say, i'm gonna win the super bowl again?

what are the chances of them repeating according to standard statistical odds? and yeah. so, the colts rampaged over a mediocre defense. big deal. i give you till week five to see the amount of close games over real mediocre teams. like, the texans and titans, while they may not win. will definitely show that the colts are highly impregnable on defense. with or without bob sanders. they're susceptible to the run and to the pass. have first year CB's that will be beat by the end of the season plenty of times with a bit of game-tape on them.

basically all it takes to beat the colts is to run against them and control the clock, for some reason, one of the better rushing attacks in the league, couldn't do that. go figure. where did sean peyton's brain go, who knows.

My Super Bowl prediction of the Colts is ridiculous? OK. You are entitled to your opinion. I explain why I like the defense even though "they lost half of it".

And Princefielder, I know it's Brandon Jackson. He's on my fantasy team. He better have a monster year.

TacticaLion
09-08-2007, 08:18 PM
gpngc... great post. Well done. Most repeat the same predictions, but you actually went against the grain.

Now, to the section on the Lions:

Lions- I want to pick them to win the division, I really do. But I just can't. Calvin's not ready, Jon Kitna is Jon Kitna, and they have no secondary. Other than that, this is a sleeper candidate. They'll win some games, but like the rest of this division, it won't be pretty this season. 6-10ish.
Calvin doesn't seem to be ready... but I think he'll get there. They'll give him time to feel comfortable, so the first 2-4 games wont be spectacular. If he happens to be ready "in time", we could surprise some teams.

"Jon Kitna is Jon Kitna", sure... but he performed well last year. Most of all, he performed without help from his OLine (the most sacked QB in the NFL)... yet played every snap. He understands the offense and is a great leader... something we need right now more than anything. CJ, Dell and Buckett, the OLine acquisitions and another year in the system can only help him.

But... you're right... we have absolutely no secondary. Wilson is showing flashes of potential, but is young and raw. Bullocks was ready to take the next step, but now he's gone for the season. Kennedy doesn't fit... at all... and Bryant is injury prone... which leaves us with 2 rookies: Frampton and Alexander. Ugly. A Cover 2 can usually get away with average CBs, but not a horrible secondary.

Bottom line: you're right on target. Anything is possible, but I think we'll grab 7 wins.

Who are you?Are you serious? Why is that relevant? He needs to be "known" to have an opinion about the upcoming season? Grow up. Get over yourself. Next time, just don't post.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-08-2007, 08:27 PM
You must be a young Jets fan...

Have you ever seen the annual Jets draft day gaffe clips on ESPN?

Recently the Jets drafts have been amazing compared to what they used to be...

i beleive its new management, so those are old and dark days. i am a younger Jets fan, but i do know of those, but was not the Jet fan i am today. I beleive it has been long enough to forget of those :)

Shiver
09-08-2007, 08:49 PM
You have more trust in the Falcons than I do. I think Atlanta is in the middle of a rebuilding season. I expect 6 wins, tops.

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Are you serious? Why is that relevant? He needs to be "known" to have an opinion about the upcoming season? Grow up. Get over yourself. Next time, just don't post.
Read a lot into that didn't you? I just wanted to know who he was and why he'd been here for a few months without ever posting. I actually agree with a lot of what he said, especially the Niners being ungodly overrated. He didn't seem to have a problem with what I said, why are you ******** your pants? Oh that's right...you're a douche. I must have missed where you were elected online hall monitor.

By the way...his post is also a good example how you can be 'unconventional' and not look ********. You should take notes, as basically any post you've made outside of the Lions forum you've been called out for being a moron.

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Care to share some constructive criticism, angry Packers fan?

No, actually an angry Rams fan. That is all.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
No, actually an angry Rams fan. That is all.

Come on. As a Seahawks fan, I never had the opportunity to get into it with a Rams fan... lets go... I thought all summer that the Rams would be this years Saints- but now I'm going with my heart (and it helps that your defense makes me want to vomit)...

In all seriousness, the Hawks were VERY lucky to win those two games thanks to the trusty leg of Josh Brown last year. Had those games gone the other way, the Rams could've easily won the division. That's the kind of stuff I look at when making predictions- what breaks, if they go the other way, could affect the outcome of the season... I say this with as much hate as I can as a Seahawks fan, but I think the Rams have a great shot at the playoffs this year and are a Super Bowl darkhorse.

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Come on. As a Seahawks fan, I never had the opportunity to get into it with a Rams fan... lets go... I thought all summer that the Rams would be this years Saints- but now I'm going with my heart (and it helps that your defense makes me want to vomit)...

In all seriousness, the Hawks were VERY lucky to win those two games thanks to the trusty leg of Josh Brown last year. Had those games gone the other way, the Rams could've easily won the division. That's the kind of stuff I look at when making predictions- what breaks, if they go the other way, could affect the outcome of the season... I say this with as much hate as I can as a Seahawks fan, but I think the Rams have a great shot at the playoffs this year and are a Super Bowl darkhorse.

U mentioned the anti christ in a post, I'm not sure if I can talk to u.

09-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Only Tubby mentions him. THIS GUY IS TUBBY.

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Only Tubby mentions Josh Brown. THIS GUY IS TUBBY.

I THOuGhT WE WERE BOYS....................WHY DID U PUT HIS NAME IN A POST?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Only Tubby mentions Josh Brown. THIS GUY IS TUBBY.

I assure you I am not Tubby nor do I know who Tubby is.

BuckNaked
09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I THOuGhT WE WERE BOYS....................WHY DID U PUT HIS NAME IN A POST?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

We're still good, right Yoda? I won't mention he who shall not be spoken.

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:14 PM

U don't want to.

Please forgive me oh Yoda! I edited the post. I am so sorry.

yodabear
We're still good, right Yoda? I won't mention he who shall not be spoken.

Yes, I don't wanna be traded from Las Vegas.

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 09:15 PM

Damn...he used the word assure. Would Tubby know what assure means? I don't know...

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Please forgive me oh Yoda! I edited the post. I am so sorry.

Its okay CC, we're still boys.

Tubby
09-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi, I'm Tubby. Nice to have another hawks fan on the board. Go easy on the caps lock.

BlindSite
09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Since when did a QB who has had one bad season whilst injured in 4 after being to a SB, NFCCG and a probowl become a negative?

nvot9
09-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I was going to make this comment directly about the Jets evaluation, bu then I read a little more and read some of the comments, and it has become clear to me that you are ********. That is all I have to say, as that's all you deserve, you are an idiot.

BuckNaked
09-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Yes, I don't wanna be traded from Las Vegas.

Then traded you will not be o wise one.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I was going to make this comment directly about the Jets evaluation, bu then I read a little more and read some of the comments, and it has become clear to me that you are ********. That is all I have to say, as that's all you deserve, you are an idiot.

Why bother saying anything if you aren't going to bring up at least one point?

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Since when did a QB who has had one bad season whilst injured in 4 after being to a SB, NFCCG and a probowl become a negative?

That is a really good question. Since Bulger is starting to be rated, I think Delhomme is the most underrated QB in the league.

nvot9
09-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Why bother saying anything if you aren't going to bring up at least one point?

Because I don't want to waste the time of telling you why nearly everything you said is dumb, and "bothered" to say it because I wanted you to know how I felt..

Xenos
09-08-2007, 09:37 PM

And I agree with you that WR is probably one of the more insignificant positions in the NFL. Which is why, WITH a subpar WR corps, I still think the Chargers contend in the AFC.

Once again we have three tall receivers in Jackson, Floyd, and to an extent Osgood. We also tried to go after hard working and good character guys, both traits evident in Davis. Additionally, Davis is also a guy who's willing to do anything for his team. And that's important because receivers on this team better be good at not only catching the ball, but also run blocking for LT. I don't know how someone like Jarrett would feel to be used in a role like that. All I know is that everyone from Chargers camp has been raving about Davis. And while he may not be the immediate starter, he can still be used in special packages and as the slot receiver.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:41 PM

I've never liked Delhomme. Sorry. I know you are a Panthers fan, but Delhomme has fallen off since he went to the Super Bowl. He targets one WR and is a questionable decision-maker. Plus I don't like the running-game and the defense seems to always underachieve. I'm not going to pick every team to make the playoffs- and as you can tell, I'm not really into "paper" champions... I'll admit, perhaps my views on the Panthers and Delhomme are a bit biased because I still have the images of the 2006 NFC Championship disaster in my head. If Delhomme proves me wrong, you'll be a happy fan. I don't think he will this season, that's all.

I feel like everyone just reads their favorite teams paragraph and if it's not playoffs or division-winning, they get mad and bad-mouth me.

Oh well.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Because I don't want to waste the time of telling you why nearly everything you said is dumb, and "bothered" to say it because I wanted you to know how I felt..

Everything I said is dumb? Care to back yourself up with at least ONE example? And even I will admit that there are probably multiple "things" in there that could be deemed "dumb", but instead of being a little *** about it- why don't you man up and point it out to me. Help me out, if I'm so dumb.

nfrillman
09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
We will just have to wait and see about Carriker. There was a reason he was considered the most pro ready defensive lineman in the draft. As for that Cardinals fan who ripped the Rams D, HA silly Cardinals fan. I hope you have enjoyed the best time of year for a Cardinals fan, the summer of hype, because tomorrow the season begins (monday for the hype factories of San Fran and Zona), and hell descends on Arizona.......moreso than usual.

yodabear
09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Everything I said is dumb? Care to back yourself up with at least ONE example? And even I will admit that there are probably multiple "things" in there that could be deemed "dumb", but instead of being a little *** about it- why don't you man up and point it out to me. Help me out, if I'm so dumb.

I don't think everything u said was dumb just a little aecdote to u.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Once again we have three tall receivers in Jackson, Floyd, and to an extent Osgood. We also tried to go after hard working and good character guys, both traits evident in Davis. Additionally, Davis is also a guy who's willing to do anything for his team. And that's important because receivers on this team better be good at not only catching the ball, but also run blocking for LT. I don't know how someone like Jarrett would feel to be used in a role like that. All I know is that everyone from Chargers camp has been raving about Davis. And while he may not be the immediate starter, he can still be used in special packages and as the slot receiver.

I know WHY you took Davis. That's all well and good. It made sense to an extent. You can defend the pick. Your coaches can defend the pick. All I'm saying is that when it is said and done I DO NOT BELIEVE that Craig Davis will improve the SD WR corps. That's all. You can disagree, and I bet you'll be disappointed when he doesn't live up to expectations. And if he does, and I'm wrong, and you no longer have a subpar WR corps because of the emergence of Buster Davis, then the Chargers win and I look like an idiot... Can't the Chargers WR debate just end and we can agree to disagree?

TacticaLion
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Read a lot into that didn't you? I just wanted to know who he was and why he'd been here for a few months without ever posting. I actually agree with a lot of what he said, especially the Niners being ungodly overrated. He didn't seem to have a problem with what I said, why are you ******** your pants? Oh that's right...you're a douche. I must have missed where you were elected online hall monitor.

By the way...his post is also a good example how you can be 'unconventional' and not look ********. You should take notes, as basically any post you've made outside of the Lions forum you've been called out for being a moron.Wow... you agreed with a lot of what he said? Really? That's goddamn incredible.

Honestly, when someone puts a "predictions" thread up, and you have something constructive to say, feel free to say it... I'll keep my mouth shut. But, if you "just wanted to know who he was and why he'd been here for a few months without ever posting", do the following: send him a PM. You know, private message? You've been here since December of 2004 and have over 15k posts, yet don't know how to use a PM? Riiiight. What a joke.

He didn't seem to have a problem with what I said, why are you ******** your pants?He has relevant posts to worry about... but your complete ignorance shouldn't go ignored.

Oh... and you're right. I've been called out for being a "moron" because I give my opinion with a reasonable argument to support it. I'm used to it, though, because they'll let anyone post on here. Those that actually read and understand my arguments disagree with you.

TimD
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
By the way...his post is also a good example how you can be 'unconventional' and not look ********. You should take notes, as basically any post you've made outside of the Lions forum you've been called out for being a moron.

don't diss the lions fans! i got an infraction for that! :(

gpngc
09-08-2007, 09:56 PM

You're so quiet now, you little *****. Come on bring up the Matt Leinart thing and defend D-Brick because he's young and still improving. I take a potential franchise QB over a potential franchise LT any day. I'm winning this argument without you even saying anything... *****.

Xenos
09-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I know WHY you took Davis. That's all well and good. It made sense to an extent. You can defend the pick. Your coaches can defend the pick. All I'm saying is that when it is said and done I DO NOT BELIEVE that Craig Davis will improve the SD WR corps. That's all. You can disagree, and I bet you'll be disappointed when he doesn't live up to expectations. And if he does, and I'm wrong, and you no longer have a subpar WR corps because of the emergence of Buster Davis, then the Chargers win and I look like an idiot... Can't the Chargers WR debate just end and we can agree to disagree?
You're the only who started this thread. So reap what you sow... :P
The only way Davis will disappoint me this year is if he has a season ending injury. I don't expect him to put up godly numbers simply because he's a rookie and he's on the same team as LT and Gates. If he can even get a couple TDs it'll be a bonus. At this moment, the guys that I'm concentrating more on is Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd since they are our starting receivers.
It's Eric Weddle that has a lot of expectations to fulfill since safety is more of a concern than wide receiver right now.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 10:01 PM
You're the only who started this thread. So reap what you sow... :P
The only way Davis will disappoint me this year is if he has a season ending injury. I don't expect him to put up godly numbers simply because he's a rookie and he's on the same team as LT and Gates. If he can even get a couple TDs it'll be a bonus. At this moment, the guys that I'm concentrating more on is Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd since they are our starting receivers.
It's Eric Weddle that has a lot of expectations to fulfill since safety is more of a concern than wide receiver right now.

Point taken. Agree that anything Davis adds will be a bonus. I just wish they would've done better, that's all (I know they didn't really have an opportunity at Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss).

TimD
09-08-2007, 10:02 PM
You're so quiet now, you little *****. Come on bring up the Matt Leinart thing and defend D-Brick because he's young and still improving. I take a potential franchise QB over a potential franchise LT any day. I'm winning this argument without you even saying anything... *****.

dissing a vet poster around here isn't smart... i mean there's a way to say i think taking d'brick over leinart was a mistake without sounding immature... just calm down man... c'mon now...

gpngc
09-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Vet poster? I'm not intimidated. All he did was say that "nearly everything I said was dumb" and that "he wanted me to let me know how he feels".

Sounds more like a fagget than a respectable poster.

If he deserved any respect he'd back up his shots at me with some points.

neko4
09-08-2007, 10:07 PM
this made me LOL big time. good job for all the work you put in, but i disagree so much with this

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 10:10 PM
That is a really good question. Since Bulger is starting to be rated, I think Delhomme is the most underrated QB in the league.

agreed. delhomme is fantastic in the playoffs. plays well with steve smith. and is the most underrated veteran qb.

p.s. the colts were a fluke, it's not like they changed any strategy or major personnel over the past four years that they've been beaten by the pats (minus vinterati) they just managed to get lucky for long enough to win. they're good, I give you that, but the any given sunday, over a long enough time, would allow them to win. And that was last year.

gpngc
09-08-2007, 10:11 PM
this made me LOL big time. good job for all the work you put in, but i disagree so much with this

I hope it made you laugh, that was part of my aim. As for the disagreement, I don't expect for many to agree with my predictions. Thanks for reading.

nvot9
09-08-2007, 10:14 PM

Lol that's funny let's see what Matt Leinart brought to the table last year as a rookie...

A very very mediocre completion percentage, a very low and almost embarrassing QB rating for a "franchise QB" and more interceptions than touchdowns, all with two of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

Meanwhile D'Brick stuffed some of the NFL's best DE's and was part of a rebuilding line. All that said, I find it to be very irrelevant how they did last year. You can't even begin to compare two rookies after their freshman year, to properly evaluate everything, you need to look at the stats and the progression and the talent OVER TIME, 3-4 years maybe. So the only thing you can do to right now is to rate them based on potential, and I'm sorry, but in the last two drafts, other than maybe Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush, there is NO other player who has the potential to be as dominating a player as D'Brick. Matt Leinart was and still is MILES away from D'Brick as far as talent goes, and not only that, but the Jets need for OL was so much greater than it was for QB, so much so, that going OL again this year first round is not out of the question either, that'd be 3 first round investments on OL in the last 3 years. All of this while stealing perhaps their most coveted QB prospect in Kellen Clemens, in the second round, and let me tell you this, based on what I've seen in the pre/off season, I'd take Kellen and D'Brick over Leinart every time, no question. Ask any other Jets fan and maybe any other NFL fan, week in and week out you'll see that D'Brick was the right choice.

EDIT: I'm not really a vet poster, but thanks I guess...and gpngc, what are you, 10 years old? Using the word f*ggot like that is not only extremely childish and immature, but incredibly offensive and in ill taste, but I guess it just goes to show you, those who have absolutely no intelligence must resort to words like that in arguments.

DaBears9654
09-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Giants as NFC East champs? Plan my funeral b/c I'm going to die laughing at that prediction. They'll have a 30s win %, ie: 5 or 6 wins.

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Those that actually read and understand my arguments disagree with you.
Who would that be exactly?

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Sounds more like a fagget than a respectable poster.
Yeaaaah.... I'm not one to say much about name calling or anything like that (mostly cause I do it all the time) but they tend to draw the line at racist and/or homophobic slurs. Just a heads up.

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeaaaah.... I'm not one to say much about name calling or anything like that (mostly cause I do it all the time) but they tend to draw the line at racist and/or homophobic slurs. Just a heads up.

agreed.
that's calling for a nice little suspension right there.
way to start thy posting career sunshine.

TimD
09-08-2007, 10:27 PM
and the fun begins....

3) Jets- This team is SCREAMING 6-10. First of all, the left side of the offensive line is in shambles. Jacob Bender was HORRENDOUS in the preseason...

The left side is not in shambles... First off I don't think you watched the pre-season because Jacobs wasn't horrendous... Yes he struggled but saying he was horrendous is just wrong. The Jets aren't idiots, so by starting him they are saying that they think he can handle it. We have Barnes (FB) and Ryan (TE) who will be covering Jacobs ass until he grasps it so I think the left side of our line should be fine.

and the D-Brick over Matt Leinart pick in the 06 draft is starting to look like a typical Jets draft-day gaffe.

The Jets new management has not messed up on a draft in YEARS.... D'Brick didn't do bad last year (minus the Bills game).

And all you have to do is look at the schedule. Last year the Jets were awarded a playoff spot with the easiest schedule in the league (they lost to Cleveland, too). How's this for pressure? Beat Cleo Lemon and you're in the playoffs. Real tough.

They didn't have the easiest schedule last year. Every game we lost was close (minus the jax and buff game).

NE 24 vs. NYJ 17 (they got BLOWN out) idiot
IND 31 vs. NYJ 28 (super bowl champs?)
Jacksonville game
CLE 20 vs. NYJ 13 (Baker made the catch bad call... good game for cle bad for the jets)
CHI 10 vs. NYJ 0 (we got shut out but the game was close much like the score)
Buffalo game

And I haven't even gotten to the QB yet. Chad Pennington is horrible. Terrible. Not an NFL QB. Smart guy- maybe, doesn't have an NFL arm- never did. Peter King rated him like #105ish in his top 500 players in the NFL list. What? Chad Pennington is the 105th best football player in the world? There are only 104 players I would rather have than Chad Pennington? Did he watch the Jets at all last year?

Chad was in the NFL for his smarts before the shoulder injuries... His arm isn't too good but if you watched last year he can make long throws... There are other QBs i'd want leading the team, but Chad is aqueduct for the job.

Thomas Jones will struggle behind that O-line...

i guess you didn't do research on the o line... D'Brick hasn't struggled in run blocking... Jacobs has been called a run blocking machine by scouts and Jets' officials and the right side plus mangold is very solid all around...

and the defense (like Revis and Rhodes- hate everybody else), will keep them in some games.
You hate Vilma? You hate Ellis? You hate Thomas? You hate Roberston? any reason why? or are you just saying that for the hell of it....

6-10. Done.

completely wrong. done.

TimD
09-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I hope it made you laugh, that was part of my aim. As for the disagreement, I don't expect for many to agree with my predictions. Thanks for reading.

there's 4 pages in this thread of people disagreeing with you... every person that does you call a name...

gpngc
09-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Lol that's funny let's see what Matt Leinart brought to the table last year as a rookie...

A very very mediocre completion percentage, a very low and almost embarrassing QB rating for a "franchise QB" and more interceptions than touchdowns, all with two of the best wide receivers in the NFL.

Meanwhile D'Brick stuffed some of the NFL's best DE's and was part of a rebuilding line. All that said, I find it to be very irrelevant how they did last year. You can't even begin to compare two rookies after their freshman year, to properly evaluate everything, you need to look at the stats and the progression and the talent OVER TIME, 3-4 years maybe. So the only thing you can do to right now is to rate them based on potential, and I'm sorry, but in the last two drafts, other than maybe Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush, there is NO other player who has the potential to be as dominating a player as D'Brick. Matt Leinart was and still is MILES away from D'Brick as far as talent goes, and not only that, but the Jets need for OL was so much greater than it was for QB, so much so, that going OL again this year first round is not out of the question either, that'd be 3 first round investments on OL in the last 3 years. All of this while stealing perhaps their most coveted QB prospect in Kellen Clemens, in the second round, and let me tell you this, based on what I've seen in the pre/off season, I'd take Kellen and D'Brick over Leinart every time, no question. Ask any other Jets fan and maybe any other NFL fan, week in and week out you'll see that D'Brick was the right choice.

OK at least your not being a ***** and shying away. Let's go.

First of all- don't come at me with statistics. Just don't. Stats are overrated. Stats are just numbers. A computer nerd can read and study stats and make assumptions based on numbers. A person who has never played the great game of football can do that as well. When you're talking football (of all sports), PLEASE, for the sake of yourself, refrain from referencing numbers. I really do not care at all what Matt Leinart's stats were last year. Not one bit. Go look at Peyton Manning's numbers as a rookie.

Now on to my point. The reason I brought up the D-Brick, ML "comparison" (as you call it), is because the Jets came into the 2006 NFL draft with a chance to really lay the foundation for years to come. They had already snatched their EXCELLENT young head coach, and were in position to have a fruitful draft. As a native New Yorker, and someone who really WANTS the Jets to do well, I could not wait to see what they did. I had scouted D-Brick quite a bit, and I won't lie- I was impressed. I still like D-Brick- think he can be an excellent football player. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if ends up a pro bowler. But when Kellen Clemens (who if he was ANYTHING like what he was hyped up to be pre-draft '06 he would have already overtaken Chad), is struggling in 2010 and Matt Leinart is winning the NFC with Ken Whisenhunt calling the plays, you think Jets fans aren't going to regret the decision to take D-Brick?

That's far in the future, but that's what I'm doing here on this DRAFT site- predicting and projecting. Of course, I'm not going to be %100. I HOPE, for the sake of Eric Mangini and the Jets, that D-Brick's struggles (he looked bad at Hofstra and in preseason) don't continue.

As for Matt Leinart- I HOPE, for the sake of the Jets that he doesn't break out and turn into a perennial pro-bowler. Unfortunately for you, I think that will happen. If it doesn't- hey you are right and I'm wrong.

You state in your rebuttal that D-Brick is UNQUESTIONABLY the more talented football player than Matt Leinart as far as potential goes. That my friend, is bogus. NO LT, including Walter Jones, has more talent than the ceiling of a potential franchise NFL QB. And that's what Matt Leinart is. I don't want to turn this into a ML-D-Brick argument, but when you're two greatest needs are at QB and LT, I think you go with the QB. That's my opinion. Granted, they were VERY high on Kellen Clemens (unjustifiably so, IMO), so they took D-Brick and waited on KC in round 2. OK. I can live with that. That's what they did. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Every decision your favorite team makes (yes even the BIG ones- like #4 overall) isn't automatically the right one.

And I have asked Jet fans what they thought of passing on ML in '06. Some of them agree with you, some agree with me. But which side would you go with- the decision your team made or the one they didn't make? Doesn't mean the one they made is the right choice.

What else makes me so dumb?

TimD
09-08-2007, 10:36 PM
you just completely changed your attitude towards the jets and d'brick... how are you going to deny my posts talking about your picks on the jets? im interested

09-08-2007, 10:52 PM
My rationale on Cutler (and Alex Smith for that matter), is pretty stupid, to be honest.

The way I see it, there are a bunch of young QB's who will play a prominent role in the success of their team this season. Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, J.P. Losman, probably missing some off the top of my head. Now, ALL of them aren't going to do well. It's just not going to happen. So because I predict a big year from Eli, Vince, and Matt, and predict Ben and J.P. to be so-so, the young guns who I predict will take a step back are Cutler and Alex Smith. I don't have any great inside information or anything on why this will occur- but it's just my gut feeling. Hopefully, for your sake (a Broncos fan I assume), I'm wrong.

I suppose that makes sense. I disagree with it, but I can see where you're going with it. I really don't think any of the big three of 06 will step back though, to be honest. I think Cutler will really boom(perhaps wishful thinking, although statistically(even though i know you hate stats) he was GREAT for a rookie QB), to the tune of 25-30 TDs. VY won't step back, and won't take a big leap either. I expect him to slightly improve passing the ball, and keep up his ability to run. Leinart, I think he'll improve quite a bit as well. I still don't think he'll catch up to Cutler though.

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Cutler will have 300 TD's this season. He'll also have 300 TD Receptions.
aye.

quit also trying to pick fights with everyone who wants to criticize your piece. you should see the way we (as a whole) will pick on Dr. Z for being a complete moron.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-08-2007, 11:21 PM
wow, this has turned into one big arguement thread.

i believe gpngc did a fairly good job of being level headed in his first responses, but i think he just got to many people calling him a fool and such. Everyone here should be able to appreciate a different opinion and understand that it is just that. He went out on a limb and did an entire league review and rather than go by the book threw out some stuff that wasn't conventional. I feel its okay to disagree, but some people may be taking it a little to hard on him. All i'm saying is try to keep it civil.

i like many others don't agree fully with what he said, but it's left at that, even though it seems the Jets review has drawn argueably the most attention.

Also, i feel that the Lions fan was correct in saying that bearsfan_51 was rude in his response of "who are you?". i dno't beleive the Lions fan had to say it in that manner, but i do feel it was an uncalled for thing to say, as if only people with large post counts are allowed to post threads or something. I know bearsfan said that wasn't what he meant, but that is how it came off. Not trying to get into the middle, but thought it should be pointed out.

With that said, let the arguement continue...........

nvot9
09-08-2007, 11:41 PM
OK at least your not being a ***** and shying away. Let's go.

First of all- don't come at me with statistics. Just don't. Stats are overrated. Stats are just numbers. A computer nerd can read and study stats and make assumptions based on numbers. A person who has never played the great game of football can do that as well. When you're talking football (of all sports), PLEASE, for the sake of yourself, refrain from referencing numbers. I really do not care at all what Matt Leinart's stats were last year. Not one bit. Go look at Peyton Manning's numbers as a rookie.

Now on to my point. The reason I brought up the D-Brick, ML "comparison" (as you call it), is because the Jets came into the 2006 NFL draft with a chance to really lay the foundation for years to come. They had already snatched their EXCELLENT young head coach, and were in position to have a fruitful draft. As a native New Yorker, and someone who really WANTS the Jets to do well, I could not wait to see what they did. I had scouted D-Brick quite a bit, and I won't lie- I was impressed. I still like D-Brick- think he can be an excellent football player. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if ends up a pro bowler. But when Kellen Clemens (who if he was ANYTHING like what he was hyped up to be pre-draft '06 he would have already overtaken Chad), is struggling in 2010 and Matt Leinart is winning the NFC with Ken Whisenhunt calling the plays, you think Jets fans aren't going to regret the decision to take D-Brick?

That's far in the future, but that's what I'm doing here on this DRAFT site- predicting and projecting. Of course, I'm not going to be %100. I HOPE, for the sake of Eric Mangini and the Jets, that D-Brick's struggles (he looked bad at Hofstra and in preseason) don't continue.

As for Matt Leinart- I HOPE, for the sake of the Jets that he doesn't break out and turn into a perennial pro-bowler. Unfortunately for you, I think that will happen. If it doesn't- hey you are right and I'm wrong.

You state in your rebuttal that D-Brick is UNQUESTIONABLY the more talented football player than Matt Leinart as far as potential goes. That my friend, is bogus. NO LT, including Walter Jones, has more talent than the ceiling of a potential franchise NFL QB. And that's what Matt Leinart is. I don't want to turn this into a ML-D-Brick argument, but when you're two greatest needs are at QB and LT, I think you go with the QB. That's my opinion. Granted, they were VERY high on Kellen Clemens (unjustifiably so, IMO), so they took D-Brick and waited on KC in round 2. OK. I can live with that. That's what they did. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Every decision your favorite team makes (yes even the BIG ones- like #4 overall) isn't automatically the right one.

And I have asked Jet fans what they thought of passing on ML in '06. Some of them agree with you, some agree with me. But which side would you go with- the decision your team made or the one they didn't make? Doesn't mean the one they made is the right choice.

What else makes me so dumb?

Lol, it's funny how you're subtly changing your argument from implying that D'Brick was a bad choice and not as good as Leinart, to possibly accepting the decision the Jets made and that D'Brick was gunna be good. First, he's already "good" has he scratched the surface yet on his potential? I'll be honest, absolutely not, has he shown flashes of dominance and the ability to be all he could be and more? Absolutely. It's just really absurd that you criticize the Jets choice in taking D'Brick over Leinart and back your argument up with wild assumptions that just plain-old aren't true. Matt Leinart has not looked like a Franchise QB that cannot be passed up. I mean he's got his definite flaws and although it's only been one stupid rookie season, has not eased my mind on any of them. I think he has all the potential to be a very good QB, but an franchise QB that you can literally build your team around, and a player that you can't pass-up in the NFL draft (despite 8 teams doing so) is a big stretch, but I guess only time will tell. What I am saying, is based on needs, based on value, based on potential, and based on other draft selections, as of right now (and as far as I'm concerned, 20 years down the line as well....) taking D'Brick was the right decision, and I wouldn't want to change it for the world. Ask any intelligent fan, games are won in the trenches, w/o a franchise LT, you can't have a franchise QB, it didn't, doesn't, and won't work.

The Jets didn't have a GLARING need at QB, they definitely could have used one then, no doubt about that, but it wasn't as big of a need as LT, or just OL for that matter. I'd describe a glaring need as a need so large and drastic, that it would be detrimental to your immediate and upcoming season if you didn't fill that hole right away. That's the way I would describe the Jets need for OL and LT to be specific, clearly not so much at QB, because Chad did a very adequate job and as their team leader, led them to the playoffs, something no one, not even Jets fans expected.

For my last argument that the Jets made the right choice, every year, there's TWO OR THREE franchise, can't miss QB's that go into the draft, but D'Brick was considered and as far as I'm concerned, still is, the best OL prospect to come out for the draft within the last 5 years. Matt Leinart wasn't even the first QB chosen or the best of the QB's within his own class, let alone the last 5 years. There's a large, LARGE difference in terms of potential.

And I still find it really funny how idiotic and childish your insults are, and how you resort to them to back your inadequate arguments up. And as for your dislike of stats, numbers don't lie, and yea, any idiotic computer nerd can rattle of some "meaningless" numbers (despite me backing up the numbers with truth and logic) but likewise, and idiotic computer nerd can mix and match a bunch of words in attempt to write a review of the NFL, it takes knowledge to actually be accurate, something you apparently don't have.

awfullyquiet
09-08-2007, 11:57 PM

statistics are overrated? oh man. go home.
statistics build your case, and i mean, if you have a point, statistics can give you some weight to what your saying.

like pennington sucks? he's a fantastic decision maker and accurate. his 65% completion rating says that. he puts enough on the ball to get it into spaces and lets his wide receivers work with him.

i wouldn't have a different QB for the jets right now. he's a good fit for their offense. ML would have sit out for.. a year or two while Pennington still had the starting job.

oh and i've never played a single down of football.

the only sport you can't quantify is tennis. and everyone knows this.

09-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Cutler will have 300 TD's this season. He'll also have 300 TD Receptions.
aye.

quit also trying to pick fights with everyone who wants to criticize your piece. you should see the way we (as a whole) will pick on Dr. Z for being a complete moron.

Wow. Did Cutler eat your babies or something? you're a huge hater.

Draft King
09-09-2007, 09:24 AM
statistics are overrated? oh man. go home.
statistics build your case, and i mean, if you have a point, statistics can give you some weight to what your saying.

like pennington sucks? he's a fantastic decision maker and accurate. his 65% completion rating says that. he puts enough on the ball to get it into spaces and lets his wide receivers work with him.

i wouldn't have a different QB for the jets right now. he's a good fit for their offense. ML would have sit out for.. a year or two while Pennington still had the starting job.

oh and i've never played a single down of football.

the only sport you can't quantify is tennis. and everyone knows this.

I wouldn't exactly say statistics build your case and mean everything, there is so many other things that you have to factor in and think about. If statistics build your case then there would be so many better DT's than lets say Jamal Williams and Pat Williams, two big run stuffing DTs. And you can't say there is no other QB in the league you would take over Pennington, hell, there would be at least 5-6 I would. BTW I have the Jets going around 8-8 this year.

Paul
09-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't call the Cowboys secondary "solid" as of right now. We cut a veteran in Aaron Glenn and the injury to Newman seems pretty bad. Plus the fact Anthony Henry isn't exactly a saving grace either. He was picked on constantly last year. And now we have to rely on guys like Nate Jones and Jaque Reeves who have a total 2-3 game starts between them.

awfullyquiet
09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't exactly say statistics build your case and mean everything, there is so many other things that you have to factor in and think about. If statistics build your case then there would be so many better DT's than lets say Jamal Williams and Pat Williams, two big run stuffing DTs. And you can't say there is no other QB in the league you would take over Pennington, hell, there would be at least 5-6 I would. BTW I have the Jets going around 8-8 this year.

I don't agree they mean everything, but you can deduce metrics by say, in a general sense, that you have to focus on two areas (in defense at least) plays made in the box, and plays made out of the box.

You can use statistics to build a case. Film coachs do it all the time, they run down percentages and YPA and how much they need to focus on certain areas of the game.

But. Fat Pat gets the nod for being one of the top run stuffing DTs (along with K-Will, because, in reality, the two act as one most of the time in the 4-3, whereas that's untrue with the chargers and Jamal Williams, but i'll get to that in a second)... Last year, the Vikings had a 1.4 Yards Per Carry against their defense. 1.4. Considering the league average last year was something like 3.6 (and the Colts were nearing 5.0). Much of the DT statistics have nothing to do with tackles, but have to do with yards per rushing attempt and times the QB was flushed out of the pocket. Jamal Williams, and a majority of the SD front 7 are good at run stopping and good at pass rushing. with a 2.7 YPCA in the regualar season, they're better at it. But, i mean. Their secondary is crap, revealed by the amount of times they've been outplayed but the pass rush (the cheater that is merriman) saves their ass.

I would discuss that more, but i have to catch a train, and that sounds like another topic all together... *which i will start before i leave*

Shahin
09-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Damn. You guys tore this dude a new butt-hole.

comahan
09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, we're one third on our way to you predicted win total.

Man_Of_Steel
09-09-2007, 06:10 PM
3) Steelers- A very tough team to read. What Big Ben will we see? Santonio Holmes could have a breakout year (look at his stats at the end of last season). Everything else pretty much stays the same besides the head coach, so it's really all on Big Ben. I don't trust him to make the playoffs, but they'll be competitive. 8-8 seems about right, but a game or two under.500 wouldn't surprise me at all.

I expect your resignation from the site today or at the very least an apoligy.

gpngc
09-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I expect your resignation from the site today or at the very least an apoligy.

Steelers looked very good.

But it was against the Browns... so I won't apologize just yet. First impression makes them look more like an 11-5 team than 7-9, I'll admit, but as I've repeated on this thread a bunch of times- I don't expect to get every single prediction right...

I admit they looked pretty impressive, and like I said in my preview- they are a difficult team to read. But let's see them play someone other than the Browns. Good week one, but the jury is still out...

I will refrain from re-visiting the D-Brick argument until we see what ML does tonight. But it's not looking good Jets fans... 6-10...

gpngc
09-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, we're one third on our way to you predicted win total.

You're right. I did write sleeper alert, and went on to change my opinion based on the fact that I like the Texans and want to see them get Darren McFadden (pretty stupid reason to pick a team to go 3-13...)

You looked good, but it was the Chiefs (who I think are the worst team in the league). Can't wait to see how this season unfolds for Super Mario and the gang.

skinzzfan25
09-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Giants still coming out on top, right?

gpngc
09-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Some thoughts on week one...

-Thoughts and prayers go out to Kevin Everett and his family.

-Eli Manning, after he returns from injury, will have an excellent year.

-Mario Williams has more TD's than Reggie Bush this season.

-Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, and Reggie Wayne might end up as the three top WR's in fantasy football this season.

-Three rookie studs (Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch) were VERY impressive in their NFL debuts.

-Larry Johnson will struggle this season.

-The Giants have the worst secondary in football.

-Deion Branch and Reggie Brown (two #1 WR's on decent NFC teams with great offensive coaches and solid QB's), combined for 1 catch for 14 yards in week one. (Unfortunately, they both started on my fantasy team. Thanks guys...)

-The Patriots have the 2nd best passing game in the league behind the Colts. Their WR corps is almost perfect, if that is possible.

-The Titans will challenge for a WC spot with subpar WR's and Chris Brown/LenDale White at HB, which is kind of funny.

-Fred Taylor is no longer breathing.

-Joey Harrington is a funny guy.

-The Bears will contend for the NFC title again this season. Their defense, if it's possible, looks like it's better than last season.

-If week one is a sign of things to come, Seattle might have one of the hardest-hitting defenses in the league.

-The Bills are not a bad team, and will finish 2nd in the AFC East.

-Before the game, I predicted that the winner of the Panthers-Rams matchup in week one will garner a whole lot of undeserved media hype for the win. Not surprisingly, Eric Allen was seen on ESPN declaring the Panthers as the class of the NFC.

-Jake Delhomme could have a bounce-back season. That would prove me wrong. Let's see what he does against a defense that isn't the Rams.

-Steven Jackson will be fine this season. Fantasy owners, don't panic.

-Clinton Portis will have a huge year.

-Detroit and Oakland will not be in contention for a top draft choice at the end of this season. Both teams are improved.

NCAA
-The October 6th matchup between Florida and LSU will be this season's version of Ohio State-Michigan.

-Watch out for the Big East. Beyond WVU, Rutgers, and UL, USF looks like it's on it's way and Cincinnati is a good football team. Could the Big East actually be better than the Big Ten?

-Another year when OU-Texas will have National Championship implications.

-Wake Forest is a good football team, but last week's game shows that Nebraska will be no match for USC.

-Neither will Cal.

-Finally, Sean Glennon is on the bench- where he should be.

-Malcolm Kelly could be a future first round pick.

-LSU will have the most explosive 2 QB attack since...

...Florida last year with Tebow-Leak.

gpngc
09-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Giants still coming out on top, right?

With Eli out, probably not... Rumor is it's about a month. The secondary is horrible too.

smittyjs
09-10-2007, 08:39 PM
You forgot....
VYisaGod :eek:

nvot9
09-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I just don't understand how you can make such claims and assumptions after ONE week of football. Much of the comments you made are utterly ridiculous and based on merely 48 minutes of football and nothing else, despite the fact that some people just could have had 1 good game or played a bad team etc. This is just one comment I'll comment on because I know about it, seeing the game, to say the Pats have the second best passing offense based one that one game is absurd. Yes, Moss looked good, as did Brady, but think about it. If I'm correct, Brady was not so much as even rushed that entire game, let alone touched. He had all the time to dissect the defense, and secondly, the Jets put their worst CB on Randy Moss, and admittedly, he got eaten alive. I agree, the Pats looked good, but look at how the Jets played first. If the Patriots go out and do this against the Bears, or the Ravens, then you can make that assumption, but as of now...it's a bit too early.

-Three rookie studs (Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch) were VERY impressive in their NFL debuts.

That's an example of something that's acceptable. It's not a stretch or a large assumption based on a small amount of football, it's simply an observation (and a correct one) that you made.

gpngc
02-05-2008, 09:33 AM
It's finally here. The 2007 NFL season is underway. I'm not going to waste any time, and I'm going right to my Super Bowl pick.

Everyone likes the Patriots or Chargers. Not me. The Colts are clearly the best team in the league. It's obvious. And last night's demolition of the Saints has nothing to do with it. That was expected. The Saints are a subpar defensive football team and were depending on an ex-Colt to cover the best no. 2 WR in the NFL (who will have a better season than Marvin Harrison this season). Manning pumps out 3-td 0-int performances like it's nothing- and there's no pressure on him this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him break his own single-season touchdown record. As for the running-game, sure they are screwed if Joseph Addai gets hurt, but if he doesn't, he probably puts up MVP-like numbers and becomes a fantasy stud. Before I get to the defense, lets re-visit one of the head-scratchers of the 2007 NFL draft. Early in round two, a trade was announced. The Colts gave up their 2008 first round pick in order to move up to pick #42, where they surprised most of us and drafted LT Tony Ugoh of Arkansas. For a team clearly weaker on defense, the Colts had used their first two picks (and invested a 2008 first rounder) in two offensive players (Anthony Gonzalez and Ugoh). Curious. Then what happens? Underrated bookend protector Tarik Glenn retires (a little too early, IMO), and Bill Polian and the Colts look like geniuses once again. If you watched Ugoh on Thursday night you saw a young, athletic, mobile LT step in and not allow his team to miss a beat without Tarik Glenn. He held DE Will Smith sackless and flashed signs of great potential. There were a few bumps in the road (Smith beat him once and forced Ugoh to hold him- a smart penalty, actually), but all in all it was a great debut for Ugoh. Can a LT win rookie of the year? We are looking at this year's version of Marcus McNeill folks...

On to the defense. OK. So they lost their two starting CB's. First of all- playing CB in Tony Dungy's tampa 2 scheme is not the most difficult thing in the world to do. You saw Jason David in another uniform on Thursday night, and the guy was toast. Any Titans fans expecting big things from Nick Harper this year- my advice to you is to wait for Pacman. Plus, Marlin Jackson might actually be BETTER than both David and Harper. He's physical, not overly fast, has decent ball skills, and can tackle. Remember, the guy was a first round pick. As for Kelvin Hayden and Daymeion Hughes (when the hell did he change his first name to Dante? And why?), they are both solid NFL DB's who will make some plays and be exploited at times- like all CB's in the NFL. (I still maintain that playing CB is the single most difficult position to play in the NFL- aside from QB). When everyone said this offseason- "The Colts lost too much on defense", they are completely ignoring the fact that Bob Sanders was sidelined for a good portion of last season. If you factor in the losses (Booger McFarland, the two CB's, etc.), but ADD in a top five safety in the game, how did the Colts lose too much? They probably gained if anything. I'm not anointing this D as the '85 Bears and they may very well give up some 4 TD games to Maurice Jones-Drew. But the bottom line is- this defense is not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. The D-Line is solid, the LB's are solid, Bob Sanders is healthy, and Antoine Bethea is one of the more underrated defensive players in the entire league. They might not be a top ten defense statistically, but beyond the elite defenses in the NFL, the Colts rank right there with rest.

Now on to the rest of this crazy league...

AFC East

1) Patriots- OK so they gave Tom Brady some new toys at WR, drafted Brandon Meriweather and stayed the same along the offensive line and for the most part the defense. Rodney Harrison and Seymour are out for a while, but it won't matter. Jarvis Green is fine and James Sanders will do quite well at safety. I still think the Colts absolutely own the Patriots (they've won the last three contests), so I'm not as high on these Pats as most others are. Their coach and QB make them the front-runners to lose to the Colts in the AFC championship, but I just don't think they can beat Indy. What's kind of scary is their schedule, with 6 automatic wins in their incredibly weak division. At worst 11-5, at best 13-3.

2) Bills- Marshawn Lynch had absolutely NO WHERE to go in the preseason. If the O-line doesn't step it up, this team is going to be dreadful once again. My guess is that they'll put it together. They lost their best two defensive players in free agency and I'm not exactly a J.P. Losman fan, but Jason Peters (how did he go undrafted again?) and Lee Evans are two rising stars and the rest of the division pretty much sucks. Probably won't challenge for a wild card but could go 8-8 at absolute best. More like the 6-10, 7-9 range.

3) Jets- This team is SCREAMING 6-10. First of all, the left side of the offensive line is in shambles. Jacob Bender was HORRENDOUS in the preseason, and the D-Brick over Matt Leinart pick in the 06 draft is starting to look like a typical Jets draft-day gaffe. And all you have to do is look at the schedule. Last year the Jets were awarded a playoff spot with the easiest schedule in the league (they lost to Cleveland, too). How's this for pressure? Beat Cleo Lemon and you're in the playoffs. Real tough. And I haven't even gotten to the QB yet. Chad Pennington is horrible. Terrible. Not an NFL QB. Smart guy- maybe, doesn't have an NFL arm- never did. Peter King rated him like #105ish in his top 500 players in the NFL list. What? Chad Pennington is the 105th best football player in the world? There are only 104 players I would rather have than Chad Pennington? Did he watch the Jets at all last year? Thomas Jones will struggle behind that O-line, and the defense (like Revis and Rhodes- hate everybody else), will keep them in some games. 6-10. Done.

4) Dolphins- Not much to say about this team. When Jesse Chatman is getting headlines in the offseason, you know you're heading in the wrong direction. Top 5 in the 2008 NFL draft? They're a contender for that. 3-13 wouldn't surprise me. Neither would 6-10.

AFC North

1) Ravens- Tough, tough division to predict. First of all, I think the Bengals and Ravens will split the season series and end up tied at the end. 9-7, 9-7 or 10-6, 10-6. So you could put the Bengals here at one. The division will be decided by a tiebreaker. It will be interesting to see if McNair can stay healthy again, and if Willis McGahee can actually do something on a solid team. The defense remains dominant- losing Thomas won't slow them down too much. 9-7 or 10-6.

2) Bengals- I can't wait to see what Chad Johnson does this year. The defense is still shaky, but Carson, Rudi, and the Beavers on the outside give them a shot at the playoffs. 9-7, or 10-6.

4) Browns- JUST PLAY BRADY QUINN. The funny thing about Joe Thomas is this. If Brady Quinn ends up being a bust, Joe Thomas automatically is a bust too. Why? Because if the Browns spend the next 4-5 years finding out that Brady Quinn was not worth it, what a waste of a pick is it to pass on Adrian Peterson- who could make an impact right away- to land Thomas, who could become a great o-lineman on a team no one cares about. I'm still just annoyed that they screwed the Cardinals by taking Thomas at 3. I like the safeties and Wimbley, but this team still has a lot of holes. Calais Campbell? 4-12ish.

AFC South
1) Colts- Best team. Best player. Good coach. They could go 16-0. Or 11-5. Either way, they'll win the Super Bowl again.

2) Titans- Why Michael Griffin? Why not help Vince Young with a WR? Why Titans? WHY?!? Well, that question seems to have been answered. Michael Griffin was arguably the best football player on the board when the Titans picked him. Versatile, aggressive, great special teams potential, Griffin was great value at 19 overall. And if you look at the WR's who went later on (Bowe, Meachem, Davis, Gonzalez), only Gonzalez figures to make an impact this season (And that's because he's the #3 with Peyton Manning). The other three (coincidentally all from the SEC), are rumored to be red-shirting. How would a shaky, young, inexperienced, rookie WR fare with a QB not known for his accuracy? Titans made the right pick, despite what many said. Now, what really stops me from making this team my mega-sleeper is Pacman. Pacman, Pacman, Pacman. Stay out of the strip clubs, and get on the field. You have the potential to be a game-changer on special teams and on defense and you could develop into one of the games best CB's. Call me crazy, but as for troubled, talented, NFL goofballs- I'd rather have Pacman as my #1 CB than Vick as my #1 QB. Jeff Fisher is a good coach, and LenDale White can't possibly be this bad, can he? Vince Young is special and Keith Bullock gets overlooked each year. They'll challenge for a playoff spot. 9-7, 10-6ish.

3) Jaguars- It's sad. MJD, Fragile Fred, a very good, physical, defense. Rashean Mathis. And this team will be held down, once again by it's QB situation. And they're destined for mediocrity because the solid defense will always keep them around .500. Del Rio will get the ax soon enough, and away we go. And the sadder thing is, beyond Brian Brohm, there just aren't too many QB's to get excited about in the upcoming two drafts. Can Matt Jones move back? 7-9ish.

4) Texans- Sleeper alert. Jacoby Jones looks like a stud in the making. Matt Schaub could be good. Some of the D-lineman have to turn into good players, right? Michael Boulware was a good acquisition for a team needing help at S. DeMeco Ryans is a beast. Andre Johnson could easily catch 100 balls. They O-line situation is still sketchy, but everything else seems to be moving in the right direction. They are a Darren McFadden away from being a contender. But the only way they are going to get McFadden is if they land a top 3 pick... hmmm. OK forget the sleeper alert- 3-13 and McFadden is in Houston. The Bush mistake is overlooked when D-Mac is stiff-arming his way to rookie of the year honors in 08 and Mario Williams is introducing himself to Vince Young twice a year. A little ahead of myself? So what.

AFC West

2) Raiders- WHAT? Raiders before Denver? I don't know, I just like this defense. I know McCown is the starter right now, but once Culpepper comes in, can't you just see Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry going off for a few games? Plus LaMont Jordan is pissed off, and Art Shell is no longer there. Great young secondary, and no one will be taking them seriously. Could sneak up on a lot of teams. 7-9 seems about right.

3) Broncos- Some think this is a Super Bowl team. I disagree. I see Cutler taking a step back this year, and deficiencies along the defensive line won't help their run defense. I love their CB's yes, but Lynch has lost a step and D.J. Williams seems like this years version of Jonathan Vilma- not in the right situation for him to succeed. Shanny is a great coach, but I'm just not buying the Broncos this season. 6-10, 7-9ish.

4) Chiefs- Worst coach in the NFL. Shaky o-line. Aging defense. No passing game. With the first pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.

NFC East

1) Giants- Eli Manning grew up this offseason. When Tiki Barber questioned his leadership skills, Eli fired back at the selfish HB, and finally showed the kind of confidence we've been waiting for from the young guy. Look, for all the heat this kid takes, lets take a look at one important statistic. Not yards, not touchdowns, not picks, not rating. With the shaky team around him (lameduck coach, bad secondary, sketchy o-line), Eli Manning, who is STILL A YOUNG QB (I don't know why everyone treats him like he's been in the league for 10 years), has led his team to the playoffs in TWO CONSECUTIVE YEARS. This is not a typo. Yes, the victim of a million jokes about his somewhat awkward demeanor, Eli Manning, in his ONLY two full years as a starting QB in the NFL- HAS NEVER MISSED THE PLAYOFFS. Give the kid a break. On to the rest of the team- Aaron Ross was a horrible pick. He will be nothing more than a nickel back in the NFL. The Giants secondary is terrible. With the kind of pass rush they can generate (Kiwi, Tuck, Osi, Strahan), any other secondary in the league would be solid if not spectacular. They need DB's badly, as R.W. McQuarters and Sam Madison are just not cutting it. The defense is a little inconsistent, but has potential. IF Eli and the offense can have a big year and keep the D off the field, this team will be good. And I predict Eli breaks out this year. Something like 23 td's and 11 interceptions. As for the running-game, has there ever been a more overrated offseason loss than Tiki Barber? OK. Tiki was good, but come on. People act like the Chargers are losing LT. Tiki was more of a distraction than a team player, and obviously he and Eli weren't on the same page. The game of football is more than just 11 individuals carrying out their duty on each play. It's 11 men working TOGETHER to achieve success through communication, execution, and teamwork. Call me superstitious or whatever but how can you expect success from a team with a HB whose not on the same page as his QB or his head coach? You can't! It's amazing that they made the playoffs last year. I'd rather have Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns than Tiki Barber. There it is- I said it. And I hope Tiki doesn't make it to the hall of fame. As you can tell, I'm not a huge Tiki fan. Good talent, not someone I'd want on my team. At least T.O. cares about winning- you get the feeling Tiki just played because it was his job. NO ONE is picking the Giants. 10-6. You heard it here first.

2) Cowboys- I want to put them at 1, I really do. I think they have one of the most talented teams in the league. I like Wade Phillips and really think DeMarcus Ware can win DPOY this season. The secondary is solid with the addition of Ken Hamlin and the offensive line played well last season. Tony Romo is still a question mark in my book, and now opposing coordinators have film on him. Terry Glenn is rumored to be out for maybe the whole season, which will hurt the offense, and make teams focus on T.O. even more. They should've drafted another WR. 8-8 to 10-6. Contend for a wild card spot.

3) Eagles- IF McNabb stays healthy, they'll be in contention to win the division. But he never does, so why would this year be any different? The receivers don't excite me and the defense is getting up there in age. The window of opportunity is closing fast on this team. Kevin Kolb looks like a stud, though. 9-7 seems about right.

4) Redskins- Sleeper alert. Portis behind a good o-line? Pete Kendall was a great addition. Jason Campbell could pull a Tony Romo and lead this overlooked team to the playoffs. I wouldn't bet on it, though. As for the defense, it's talented, but they seem to annually underachieve. 6-10ish. This is such a tough division to predict, as I could see #4 being #1, and #1 being #4.

NFC North
1) Bears- THIS IS THE WORST DIVISION IN FOOTBALL. The Bears win it by default. Rex Grossman is erratic, but will have his moments in the regular season. I just don't trust him in the playoffs, especially if they have to go on the road. This is still a dominant defense and Devin Hester is just scary. They won't win as many as last year, but they'll have the division wrapped up early. 10-6 or 11-5 seems right.

2) Packers- Solid CB duo. Rising defense. Favre is still holding them back, and the running-game hinges on an unproven and unspectacular rookie from Nebraska. They'll win some games, but that's only because this division is just brutal. 7-9ish.

3) Lions- I want to pick them to win the division, I really do. But I just can't. Calvin's not ready, Jon Kitna is Jon Kitna, and they have no secondary. Other than that, this is a sleeper candidate. They'll win some games, but like the rest of this division, it won't be pretty this season. 6-10ish.

4) Vikings- Travaris Jackson. Bobby Wade. Troy Williamson. We have a great running-game, including the steal of the draft with AD, and a solid defense, but we are going to rely on the worst WR corps in the history of the world and Travaris Jackson at QB. Byron Leftwich, are you there? On the bright side, Sidney Rice is the next Chris Henry (Bengals WR). But not with Jackson, sorry. 5-11ish.

NFC South

1) Saints- 0-1 so what. This team has a lot going for them. Are they the NFC juggernauts everyone else is making them out to be? Probably not. Are they a good bet to go to the Super Bowl? Probably not. The defense is still sketchy and they won't sneak up on anyone this year. Plus a harder schedule, and away we go. 10-6ish.

2) Falcons- Joey Harrington? I'm joking, right? Wrong. I'm a Bobby Petrino guy and this team will be a lot better than people think. Maybe not playoffs, but they'll be in the mix. 7-9 to 9-7.

3) Panthers- Everyone's favorite preseason pick is back at it again. As long as Jake Delhomme is still under center, I'll stay away from picking the Panthers to go to the playoffs. The defense is great, sure, but the offense can't get it done. 7-9ish.

NFC West
1) Seahawks- Marcus Tubbs out for the season. UGH. Let's re-visit the 2004 NFL draft. After the Cowboys inexplicably passed on Steven Jackson only to take Julius Jones in round two, Seattle was sitting there with a gaping need at DT. Vince Wilfork had been scooped up by the Patriots a few picks earlier (HOW DID HE FALL SO FAR I'LL NEVER KNOW), so the Seahawks had a decision to make. Marcus Tubbs or Steven Jackson? I wanted Jackson. I did. Hometown kid, hard runner, easily the best HB in the 04 class. Shaun Alexander was in his prime, but come on- it's Shaun Alexander. Sure he's OK but did the Hawks really want to give him that contract two years ago? NO! He runs soft, offers nothing in the passing game, and reminds me of a west coast version of Tiki Barber. Plus, the shelflife of an average NFL HB is short, and its STEVEN FREAKIN' JACKSON. The Seahawks pulled this same stunt with Ricky Watters a few years earlier when they drafted Shaun Alexander to be the HB of the future. It worked out. So of course, they'll do it again with Steven Jackson. Right? Nope. Marcus Tubbs. Eh, whatever, let's see how Tubbs can do. Well he's been great when he's been on the field. The problem is- HE CAN'T STAY ON THE FIELD! Two straight years on IR and now he's probably seen his last days as a Seattle Seahawk. There goes the run defense, there goes the Super Bowl chances, there goes the 2007 season. Unless BRANDON MEBANE- remember that name- can make a difference. We know this team got better, we know they're healthy on offense now. If the run defense holds up- IF- this team will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. 11-5ish.

2) Cardinals- Every year the Cardinals are super sleeper. Every year, they are talented, especially on offense. But what makes this year different? BECAUSE THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!!! Denny Green is gone and in comes Ken Whisenhunt, who won a Super Bowl when his best passer was Antwaan Randle El. Rus Grimm, Al Johnson, Gandy, and Levi Brown help the line, and Edge is set up for a big year. Matt Leinart has USC-like WR's and the defense will do just enough in a division without much defense. Everyone hypes up the Niners when the Cardinals are clearly better- I don't get it. 9-7ish. Contend for a wild card.

3) Rams- I wanted to pick them to win the entire NFC. Then I took a look at their defense. Sorry, Rams fans, Adam Carriker is not the type of guy to take your team to the next level. He could be a good player, but that's no reason to think you've made the leap. Bulger's alright, and Steven Jackson is a beast, but the defense will hold them back again. 8-8ish.

4) 49ers- Everyone's favorite preseason pick. Ahhh, I love it. This team is so overrated it makes me sick. Just watch. Alex Smith will struggle all year, and once Frank Gore and Darrell Jackson go down, it's over. Patrick Willis was a great pick, but they overpayed for Nate Clements and won't be able to sneak up on anyone this year. 6-10ish.

Awards
MVP- Peyton Manning
DPOY- DeMarcus Ware
OROY- Adrian Peterson
DROY- Patrick Willis

Playoffs
AFC
1) Colts
2) Patriots
3) Chargers
4) Ravens
5) Bengals
6) Titans

NFC
1) Seahawks
2) Bears
3) Saints
4) Giants
5) Cowboys
6) Cardinals

AFC Championship: Colts over Patriots
NFC Championship: Seahawks over Saints

Super Bowl XLII: Colts 34, Seahawks 20

-Entire AFC East: Nailed.
-AFC North: Completely wrong. Misread Pittsburgh and didn't see Derek Anderson coming.
-Colts: missed. Not even AFC Championship game.
-Jaguars: I'm embarrassed, they are my second favorite team. David Garrard I am sorry.
-Titans: Nailed.
AFC West: Pretty good. Knew the Chargers would be good but not dominant, had the Broncos and Chiefs perfectly. Misread the Raiders.
-Giants: People made jokes when I picked them to win the division after losing, as one poster put it 60% of their offense. I knew Eli didn't deserve the crap he was taking, but I NEVER expected them to win the Super Bowl, I'll admit that.
-Cowboys, Eagles: Eh, kinda right I guess. Close at least.
-Redskins: I said sleep alert and then went on to pick them to finish last. That's a bad job by me. Count it as a miss because I played both sides.
-Missed the Bears, Packers.
-Vikings: I called AD as the steal of the draft. Sidney Rice also got mentioned. Two hits.
-NFC South: Do not read. Missed everything. Terrible, terrible, stuff. I apologize to Bucs fans. As for my Falcons stuff, wow- that is just embarrassing.
-Seahawks: Hit the inevitable Alexander decline. Hit the Brandon Mebane prediction. Missed the Super Bowl, obviously. Oh well, I'm a Hawks fan- what did you expect?
-Cardinals: Pretty much nailed them but I didn't foresee the QB situation obviously and I was a lot higher on Leinart than I should've been.
-49ers: Nailed them.
-Awards: Missed MVP and DPOY but hit BOTH ROY's.
-Playoff teams: Hit 4 of 6 in AFC, 3 of 6 in NFC.

Things I took crap for that I should not have (told-you-so's): Picking the Jets to be bad, Giants losing Tiki.

Worst stuff: Falcons, Start Brady Quinn, Jaguars QB situation, AFC North, still picked the Bears, missed the Packers completely.

Jakey
02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Haha i'm glad you got the AFC north wrong...just cus i'm a Steelers fan :p

art vandelay
02-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Pretty impressive stuff. But when you make boom or bust predictions like you did they are obviously extreme great and awful predictions. For the most part, great. For me (and for most probably) the most impressive prediction has to be the Giants. Got Peterson and Willis right too, but most had them. Overall, a very nice job.