PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 Defense coming to Pittsburgh, I Can Feel It!

TerribleEd
01-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I apologize for first posting this in an incorrect place. I think I got it right this time.

America
01-15-2007, 11:17 PM
They'd need some true DEs.

Shiver
01-15-2007, 11:18 PM
If they go 4-3, they need a complete overhaul of their front seven. In my opinion, that would be stupid.

TerribleEd
01-15-2007, 11:24 PM
They need a nearly complete overhaul to their current 3-4 LB corps anyway. Porter, Haggans, and Farrior are all short timers.

Some of the current front seven could make a switch. Some would need replaced. I don't think it would be as daunting a task as people think.

With the aged and yet still aging of the front seven, I think now's as good a time as any would be to make a transition.

I know switching would be the preference of either Tomlin or Rivera if one should be hired, which is looking more and more of a realistic possibility.

Basileus777
01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
If Porter leaves, Farrior in the middle with Haggans and Harrison on the outside could work at linebacker. Hampton and Hoke might work at DT, but they would need to find 4-3 ends.

This is assuming that we aren't talking about the Tampa 2 in which case the whole front 7 would have to be rehauled.

TIP
01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
THere is no way they can swtich to a 4-3, they'd need to get a overhaul on the entire front seven and get new DE's for starters...won't happen...I'm hoping Russ Grimm Gets the job. Dick LeBeua won't change his defense

Iamcanadian
01-16-2007, 12:13 AM
THere is no way they can swtich to a 4-3, they'd need to get a overhaul on the entire front seven and get new DE's for starters...won't happen...I'm hoping Russ Grimm Gets the job. Dick LeBeua won't change his defense

I agree, it would mean a complete overhaul of the front 7 and a very lengthy rebuilding process. I cannot see Pittsburgh wanting to rebuild just yet. They are in a serious position to challange again for the Super Bowl, it wouldbe just cray to risk that.

justified83
01-16-2007, 01:50 AM
i'd be dissappointed if the steelers switch defensive schemes. when i think of the steelers i think of a smash mouth football team with a blood thirsty 3-4 defense.

diabsoule
01-16-2007, 02:22 AM
I really do not think Pittsburgh is going to change defensive schemes and convert to the 4-3. It does not make any sense for them to do so, especially with the personnel they already have.

No matter who their new coach is, whether it be Rivera, Tomlin, Grimm, or a dark horse candidate like Cowher was, I highly doubt they would change what has been working for years in Pittsburgh and that is the 3-4.

yourfavestoner
01-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Even if they hire somebody from outside the organization who has a 4-3 background, I think they'll still keep Lebeau around as defensive coordinator and run a 3-4.

DeathbyStat
01-16-2007, 07:55 AM
He should hire Cam Cameron as the head coach. And keep dick as the DC.

NFLBOY
01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
People come up with the craziest ideas. No way Pittsburgh is switching to the 4-3. The Steelers are always a top notch D that finishes in the top 10 on a usual basis and for the most part are in the top 5 quite a bit. Plus why would you change a mastermind game plan that lebeau can only come up with.Personally I hope they don't sign Rivera or Tomlin.

bigbluedefense
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
It wouldn't make sense at the moment to switch to Cover 2. The overhaul would take several years to take place. And with such a dominant 3-4 NT like Hampton, youd be wasting his talents in the Cover 2.

I think however it would be somewhat appropriate to go to Cover 2. Since Pittsburgh is the true birthplace and predecessor of the scheme, its only appropriate that they go back to their roots and play a quick 4-3 defense.

I love teams sticking to their identity. I felt it adds to the rich history of the sport. The Giants, Steelers, and Bears should always be teams with punishing defenses and run heavy offenses. The Colts should always have a great offense. The 49ers should always be a WCO team. The Packers should always be a rich offensive team.

If I had it my way, different teams would stick to their identity all the time. It makes for great history. People's football philosophies and opinions would vary from region to region. It would make for more interesting football if it was played that way.

Me personally, I dislike what the Giants have become. We're too focused on the offensive side of the ball and the pass game. Our defense is soft, which is an embarassment to an organization always known for a punishing defense. We're not playing Giants football right now, and Id love to go back to our style of defense and smashmouth offense. Thats what we are. Thats what we do. Someone needs to send that memo to Coughlin.

Nitschke-Hawk
01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
I'd be the highest bidder at the Casey Hampton auction if they don't want him, that would be insane to get rid of him. :D

HawkeyeFan
01-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Poz for Weakside Linebacker, and Timmons for Strong Side. But seing how you have Porter and Farrior I'd go with Poz.

Jughead10
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
It wouldn't make sense at the moment to switch to Cover 2. The overhaul would take several years to take place. And with such a dominant 3-4 NT like Hampton, youd be wasting his talents in the Cover 2.

I think however it would be somewhat appropriate to go to Cover 2. Since Pittsburgh is the true birthplace and predecessor of the scheme, its only appropriate that they go back to their roots and play a quick 4-3 defense.

I love teams sticking to their identity. I felt it adds to the rich history of the sport. The Giants, Steelers, and Bears should always be teams with punishing defenses and run heavy offenses. The Colts should always have a great offense. The 49ers should always be a WCO team. The Packers should always be a rich offensive team.

If I had it my way, different teams would stick to their identity all the time. It makes for great history. People's football philosophies and opinions would vary from region to region. It would make for more interesting football if it was played that way.

Me personally, I dislike what the Giants have become. We're too focused on the offensive side of the ball and the pass game. Our defense is soft, which is an embarassment to an organization always known for a punishing defense. We're not playing Giants football right now, and Id love to go back to our style of defense and smashmouth offense. Thats what we are. Thats what we do. Someone needs to send that memo to Coughlin.

Actually before the Parcells Era and dating even further back into history when the Giants were winning Championships pre-Super Bowl, they were actually probably more known for their offense.

bigbluedefense
01-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Actually before the Parcells Era and dating even further back into history when the Giants were winning Championships pre-Super Bowl, they were actually probably more known for their offense.

Not really. In the 50s we were known for a punishing defense with Huff and a great run game with Gifford.

The 60s and 70s were miserable, and we tried building through offense and it failed miserably.

The time prior to the 50s we were balanced for the most part, but still had a strong emphasis on defense.

keylime_5
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
They'll hire Russ Grimm and keep the 3-4 defense.....I don't think they'll change it since they've had it forever, but if they hire Tomlin or Rivera they will.

Woody56
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
trade Casey Hampton to the Jets

frogstomp
01-16-2007, 10:17 PM

I second this. We'll give Pitt a 3rd... consider yourself lucky.

THIZZorDIE
01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
If they go 4-3, they need a complete overhaul of their front seven. In my opinion, that would be stupid.

Porter doesnt go anywhere. Farrior? Nowhere. DT would need a change, but complete overhaul? Hampton could still do his thing and hold blocks, but overall I agree in that they should not change. They need little work and health to be among the best, not a clean slate.

NFLBOY
01-17-2007, 07:22 AM

I second this. We'll give Pitt a 3rd... consider yourself lucky. Dream on. Hampton is worth a 1st and 2nd and nothing less.

TIP
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Porter doesnt go anywhere. Farrior? Nowhere. DT would need a change, but complete overhaul? Hampton could still do his thing and hold blocks, but overall I agree in that they should not change. They need little work and health to be among the best, not a clean slate.

Aaron smith and Brett Kiesel couldn't be 4-3 DEs...Smith made the probowl last year as a 3-4 DE, we'd have to prolly get rid of him

TIP
01-17-2007, 12:46 PM

I second this. We'll give Pitt a 3rd... consider yourself lucky.

For the best 3-4 NT? :? You'd be lucky if we even gave him to you, and nothing less than a second rounder...should be a 1st round pick

DeathbyStat
01-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't you think you Tomlin and Rivera are dumb enough to break up something that won a super bowl a year ago.

TerribleEd
01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
If Mike Tomlin carried himself with as much poise during yesterday's second interview as he did with reporters, then he absolutely wowwed the Steelers.

Steeler fan websites today are abuzz with excitement about the guy, and now Im not the only one talking about a switch to the cover-2.

In reading some of the recent posts, I'd like to suggest Brett Keisel could perhaps play 4-3 DE, a la Justin Smith of the Bengals (who is also bigger than your average 4-3 DE, but I agree that Aaron Smith could not. Now if you Jet fans want to improve that front-3 for a third rounder, then Aaron Smith could be your guy. He is a pro-bowler, after all.

richdg
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
This hole thread is just silly. Let me count the ways.
1. A Cover 2 D can be played with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. All a cover 2 is, 2 deep S's each covering half the feild. Guess what, we already use it from time to time. The only player it would effect is Troy. He would be back off the LOS more often.
2. We don't know who the coach is, so we don't know what is going to change/stay the same.
3. A. Smith can play DE in a 4-3. In fact he can be one of the best at it. He is used to playing against double teams. Yet he is both a run stuffer and a pass rusher. Why would that change? If will not. Same with Keisel. If the Steelers were to switch t a 4-3, the position they need the most help is DT. We only have one on the team. Hampton can play DT. He would be used the same way he is now. In on running downs out on passing downs.

The Legend
01-18-2007, 04:15 PM
(CB - McFadden) (FS - Clark) (SS - Polamalu) (CB - Taylor)
(OLB - ?) (ILB - Farrior) (OLB - Foote)
(DE - Haggins) (DT - Smith) (NT - Hampton) (DE - Porter)

dcarey20
01-18-2007, 04:38 PM
If they were to turn to the 4-3, i'd go with Okoye.

I think Hampton would still be a decent player in the 4-3, but the only player behind him is Chris Hoke, and I don't think they could go into the 07 season with him starting.

TIP
01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
If Mike Tomlin carried himself with as much poise during yesterday's second interview as he did with reporters, then he absolutely wowwed the Steelers.

Steeler fan websites today are abuzz with excitement about the guy, and now Im not the only one talking about a switch to the cover-2.

In reading some of the recent posts, I'd like to suggest Brett Keisel could perhaps play 4-3 DE, a la Justin Smith of the Bengals (who is also bigger than your average 4-3 DE, but I agree that Aaron Smith could not. Now if you Jet fans want to improve that front-3 for a third rounder, then Aaron Smith could be your guy. He is a pro-bowler, after all.

Well, kiss that goodbye...looks like Grimm is getting the job after a 6 hour second interview today...why would you want to switch to a cover two, that be terrible.

Basileus777
01-19-2007, 07:25 AM
This hole thread is just silly. Let me count the ways.
1. A Cover 2 D can be played with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. All a cover 2 is, 2 deep S's each covering half the feild. Guess what, we already use it from time to time. The only player it would effect is Troy. He would be back off the LOS more often.

In this case it is not the regular cover 2 being talked about, but rather the Tampa 2, which is absolutely incompatible with a 3-4 defense.

P-L
01-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Russ Grimm is the favorite for the job, so it looks like they'll be staying with the 3-4.

richdg
01-19-2007, 08:52 PM
In a Tampa 2. you drop the MLB deep so you really have a 3 deep coverage. We have 2 ILB's. One can, and we have already done it. This is a non issue. As for the guy who had the line up, that would be stupid. Keisel and Smith would be the DE's and Porter/Haggans would compete for the other OLB spot.

TerribleEd
01-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I can't wait for Tomlin's first draft!!!

rainbeaukid2
01-20-2007, 11:09 PM
i really hope that with tomlin coming in, some of the 3-4 personnel is waived or traded so that the niners can get their hands on some top 3-4 talent such as casey hampton

Geo
01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
I doubt Okoye reaches the Steelers' pick.

Little copy/paste job . . .

Proposed 4-3/ Cover 2 iteration of the Steelers

RDE Joey Porter WLB Cato June* RCB Bryant McFadden
RDT Casey Hampton MLB James Farrior FS Anthony Smith
LDT Aaron Smith SLB Larry Foote SS Troy Polamalu
LDE Brett Keisel LCB Ike Taylor

*Signed in 2007 Free Agency.

June could excel with the Steelers, thanks to big Casey Hampton in front of him occupying blockers, and would easily be the fastest player in the front seven. He'd also provide years' worth of experience in the scheme for the transitioning Steelers.

The team would have to draft a future RDE, MLB, and 3-tech tackle - all premier positions, which is no easy task - by 2008. They have a good pickings of all 3 in this year's 1st round, to start.

Hines
01-21-2007, 12:55 AM
(CB - McFadden) (FS - Clark) (SS - Polamalu) (CB - Taylor)
(OLB - ?) (ILB - Farrior) (OLB - Foote)
(DE - Haggins) (DT - Smith) (NT - Hampton) (DE - Porter)

i like that but id switch clark with smith
and i would switch haggans with harrison
i think if we do switch to a 4-3 porter will excell in it since he did play de in college
and i do think he is fast enough for that
harrison is a beast and would excell in ne scheme we put him in
taylor is a big corner who could play well in here
and mcfadden is physical
smith is gonna be good and could become a STUD
the other olb i would try to get beason in the second round
or earl everett

01-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Your 1 year off a SuperBowl and the only reason your not in the playoffs is because your QB threw too many picks...

Your defense consistantly finishes in the top 10 every year yet you decide to switch out of this beastly 3-4 that scares me more than any other team?(aside from your horrid corners of course)