PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was ugly... (CAR @ STL Discussion)

NGSeiler
09-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Offensive execution was poor, but in my opinion, the playcalling was worse. We had virtually no downfield passing attack, even when Pace was in there. When #76 went out, the hand was even tighter to the vest. We have too much talent on this offense to not open things up more.

Bulger was okay. He looked a bit skittish once Pace was out of the line-up, and it affected his accuracy. Jackson ran well to start the game but didn't do much as the game progressed. Few holes and he didn't make much happen. His first fumble basically changed the entire game's momentum, and his second fumble all but sealed the fate of the team.

The defense looked solid in the first quarter after the Panthers' first drive. But the offense's inability to sustain drives caused the D to play too much in the second half, and they wore down. Hill was decent against Smith but got burnt like a piece of fried chicken on that deep ball. He should probably learn to keep his mouth shut and let his play talk for itself. Atogwe looked lost out there, similar to how he started 2006. Carriker showed promise inside, but the D just didn't get a break in the second half of this game.

The Panthers executed like they were in midseason form, IMO. Delhomme looked better than usual, and Steve Smith was on fire. They took advantage of everything the Rams did incorrectly. There are some instances where a person says "Team A didn't win the game, but instead Team B lost it." I'm not sure I'd go that far because the Panthers were executing well, but the Rams gave them a lot of help with their own uninspired play.

On top of it all, it looks like Orlando Pace is injured again with a shoulder sprain that sounds significant. It doesn't sound like we'll be seeing him any time soon, but perhaps Monday's MRI will bring good news.

Hopefully St. Louis finds the solution this week in practice.

BTRams66
09-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Have to agree.

Offensive execution I agree was poor. We have I believe and I'm sure many analysts believe the best offense in the NFL. Yet it seems we are to scared to use it. When you think about it this Offense should never cause their defense to tire like it did today, with all the weapons on offense they should be on the field for more than 30minutes (half a game) almost every time. Of course the offense can have a bad day hopefully that is what happened because if they repeat today's performance we are in real trouble.

Jackson fumbled twice all of last year. In one game that total is already reached. If he is trying to achieve his goal of 2500 yrds from scrimmage he needs to get going BIGTIME.

The defense actually looked pretty good the whole first half. They only had 72 yds rushing not too bad for opening game.The D had to play far too much in the second half. To give you the numbers, the defense played 20minutes of the whole 30minute second half. I ain't supprised they wore down, most defenses would. Hill was decent against Smith but he got beat on that deep ball. I agree Atogwe looked lost out there, similar to how he started 2006 and this just cannot happen. Carriker showed promise inside, but the D just didn't get a break in the second half of this game.

The Panthers played exceptionally well. Delhomme looked better than usual, and Steve Smith was on fire. The two backs Foster and Williams were used marvelously by the Panthers particularly that second half. A fresh back against a tired defense is all due to the offense's poor execution.

Orlando Pace injury is another annoying factor. Lets hope Monday's MRI will bring good news.

I am going to give two game balls one for Offense Players and one for Defensive Players.

Offense - It's tight call between Holt and Hall. I'm going to give it too Dante Hall though. His KR to open the 2nd half was awesome although Byrd should have done a bit better blocking cause he was doing some interesting blocking just before he got run down. He was in open space. Anyway Special Teams did very well today. Returns were good, coverage was decent and Jones punted well enough.

Defense - I'm giving it to Brandon Chillar. Chillar helped Jackson out by forcing a fumble and recovering it but it was just too much for the defense to bail the team out. Seemed to play his role quite well and had two tackles for losses on runs. Chavous played well too as did Witherspoon. Pisa again had a minor injury but all in all the defense played decently. The second half was unfortunate as they were drawn a short straw by their own offense.