PDA

View Full Version : Junior QB's

DraftMichaelHuff
09-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Just after some of the best junior quarterbacks in college football who might declare for the draft this year and possibly go in the first few rounds, so i know who to watch for and keep track of throughout the year.

Atlanta's Left Tackle situation is too abysmal at the moment not to take a Left Tackle like Sam Barker or Jake Long with our 1st pick and therefore at the moment I'm counting out Brohm.

The only other guys i like whos listed on this site (aka top seniors) are Andre Woodson and Eric Angie, and both of those guys will be 24+ years old come draft day, so was just wondering who else is out there

P.S I'm more an upside "JR" kind of guy than a proven "Brady Quinn" type of guy and none of the seniors seem to be that type of player

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 07:24 PM
There aren't really any elite junior QBs right now but if I had to give an answer it would be Cal's Nate Longshore and Oklahoma State's Bobby Reid

d34ng3l021
09-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Serious? I am more of a proven QB guy. Look at the past man. JR, Quinn. Quinn looked good in the preseason. Leinart, Young. Both are solid, but I would rather have Leinart. What else? Leaf, Manning?

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
If you're looking for upside at QB in this years draft then you might as well stop looking. None of the QBs this year have the "wow" factor you're looking for

etk
09-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Chase Holbrook is the only one I really like.

Jonny
09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Teel is doing a lot better. Can't wait to see what he does in a few weeks.

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 09:20 PM
What does Pat White's future in the NFL look like?

neko4
Teel is doing a lot better. Can't wait to see what he does in a few weeks.
late 2nd day pick at best

neko4
brad smith's or michael robinson's

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 09:23 PM

He's way too small to play Qb in the NFL. I do think he could be a solid slot WR

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
figured...

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-09-2007, 09:47 PM
2010 NFL Draft QB class is going to be AMAZING, 2009 is a down year, which means QB's will leave early next year for big $$$.
My Potential 1st Rounders
Hunter Cantwell / Louisville
Nate Longshore / Cal
Chase Holbrook / New Mexico
Willie Tuitama / Arizona
Colt McCoy / Texas
Matthew Stafford / Georgia
Tim Tebow / Florida
Mark Sanchez / USC
Dan LeFevour / Central Michigan
Josh Freeman / Kansas State
Jon Crompton / Tennessee
Juice Williams / Illinois
Matt Grothe / USF
Ryan Perrilloux / LSU
Jake Christensen / Iowa
Kelle Lewis / Indiana

jballa838
09-09-2007, 09:53 PM
2010 NFL Draft QB class is going to be AMAZING, 2009 is a down year, which means QB's will leave early next year for big $$$.
Nate Longshore / Cal
Willie Tuitama / Arizona
Colt McCoy / Texas
Tim Tebow / Florida
Mark Sanchez / USC
Jon Crompton / Tennessee
Matt Grothe / USF
Ryan Perrilloux / LSU
Jake Christensen / Iowa
Kelle Lewis / Indiana
Sanchez? Really? hasnt played a meaningful down yet and you are labeling him as a 1st rounder??
oh well, it could happen, i have seen crazier things.

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Nate Longshore / Cal
Willie Tuitama / Arizona
Colt McCoy / Texas
Tim Tebow / Florida
Mark Sanchez / USC
Jon Crompton / Tennessee
Matt Grothe / USF
Ryan Perrilloux / LSU
Jake Christensen / Iowa
Kelle Lewis / Indiana

Ok First off, Kellen Lewis probably won't ever be an NFL QB. He's in the same position Antwan Randle-El was coming out of Indiana. Also, Wait until you see some of these guys play before claiming them to be 1st round draft picks. Crompton and Sanchez? Give me a break

Michigan
09-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Matt Grothe? Kellen Lewis? Hunter Cantwell? Jonathan Crompton? Josh Freeman has a career 7-19 TD/INT ratio.

The only senior-eligibility 2009 first rounder i can see is Longshore. Stafford, Sanchez, Perriloux, and Tebow look like solid picks for 2010 first rounders.

P-L
09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
2009 is going to be a worse year for QB than 2005.

moc182
09-09-2007, 11:02 PM
The best juniors is Bobby Reid and theres huge question marks about his pro poential, your best bet is a soph declaring early; Josh Freeman or Matt Stafford if they put it together.

Turtlepower
09-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Nate Longshore / Cal
Willie Tuitama / Arizona
Colt McCoy / Texas
Tim Tebow / Florida
Mark Sanchez / USC
Jon Crompton / Tennessee
Matt Grothe / USF
Ryan Perrilloux / LSU
Jake Christensen / Iowa
Kelle Lewis / Indiana

You put Tuitama, but not Rudy Carpenter?

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Carpenter is good, but not potential 1st round good, I just threw some names of the top of my head out. I was trying to make a point that the 2009 class is horrid and the 2010 has the potential to be one of the best ever (Note I put potential not actually what will be).

DraftMichaelHuff
09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Just had a bit of a read up on Nate Longshore, he seems like a pretty good prospect but from what i can gather its very unlikley he will declare for the 2008 draft. Correct?

Shiver
09-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Longshore would be crazy to declare.

Jonny
09-10-2007, 12:40 AM
late 2nd day pick at best

Who the hell knows. I'm just saying he's one to watch. He has good size and a good arm, and has looked very good so far. Could be a first day pick, could go undrafted. Much better than last year at any case.

KCJ58
09-10-2007, 12:56 AM
where is Rudy Capernter he should be #1

Don Vito
09-10-2007, 01:03 AM
I find it funny Chase Daniel never gets mentioned. I know he is short, probably about 6-1 250, but he has one of the best arms in the land. He can gun it and throw with great accuracy. Not to mention he is a great runner who is very tough to take down.

Caddy
09-10-2007, 04:11 AM
The only other guys i like whos listed on this site (aka top seniors) are Andre Woodson and Eric Angie, and both of those guys will be 24+ years old come draft day, so was just wondering who else is out there

Is age really that much of an issue at the QB position?

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 04:38 AM
where is Rudy Capernter he should be #1

I hope you meant to put the sarcasm tags in there. Carpenter doesn't have NFL size or an NFL arm. He's an efficient passer but he won't be able to make all the throws in the NFL

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 04:39 AM
I find it funny Chase Daniel never gets mentioned. I know he is short, probably about 6-1 250, but he has one of the best arms in the land. He can gun it and throw with great accuracy. Not to mention he is a great runner who is very tough to take down.

I like Chase Daniel and think he has potential to be a Drew Brees like starter in the league. The only thing I don't like about him is the fact that I doubt he's even 6'0". He looks a lot shorter than everyone out there on the field

etk
09-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I like Chase Daniel and think he has potential to be a Drew Brees like starter in the league. The only thing I don't like about him is the fact that I doubt he's even 6'0". He looks a lot shorter than everyone out there on the field

He's like Troy Smith: 6000 on a good day.

fischbowl
09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Chase Holbrook is the only one I really like.

The prototype Hal Mumme "system QB".

see "Tim Couch"

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
The prototype Hal Mumme "system QB".

see "Tim Couch"

Except Holbrook has excellent size for a QB and looks more Ben Roethlisberger than Tim Couch on the football field

fischbowl
09-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Except Holbrook has excellent size for a QB and looks more Ben Roethlisberger than Tim Couch on the football field

did I mention he plays for the New Mexico State Aggies, who went 4-8 last year, and hasn't been to a bowl since 1960?

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
did I mention he plays for the New Mexico State Aggies, who went 4-8 last year, and hasn't been to a bowl since 1960?

A lot of that has to do with the horrible recruiting by the previous coaching staff

fischbowl
09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
A lot of that has to do with the horrible recruiting by the previous coaching staff

It's not like there going to attract much attention at all, they're NMSU, in the sweltering desert that is Las Cruces.

You are completely right about his potential, I just don't believe he'll make it.

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 07:02 PM
It's not like there going to attract much attention at all, they're NMSU, in the sweltering desert that is Las Cruces.

You are completely right about his potential, I just don't believe he'll make it.

It's 45 miles away from El Paso, TX and has virtually the same climate yet UTEP is able to bring in a decent recruiting haul.

fischbowl
09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
It's 45 miles away from El Paso, TX and has virtually the same climate yet UTEP is able to bring in a decent recruiting haul.

Cmon, you have to admit UTEP's recruiting classes haven't been as they were.

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Cmon, you have to admit UTEP's recruiting classes haven't been as they were.

UTEP is a hotbed for transfers.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I like Chase Daniel a lot, too. I don't know about his height. He's listed at 6'0, so he may end up being shorter than that, but I still love how he throws the ball.

Pittbc7
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Stephen McGee

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
How can Mark Sanchez NOT be a top QB? He pushed JDB for the job last year, and USC coaches were raving over him. He's got a great arm, and if I can remember I think the coaches used him to emulate the running of Vince Young for the NC(either running or throwing).

fischbowl
09-10-2007, 10:24 PM
UTEP is a hotbed for transfers.

...cause there academic standards are ridiculously low.

IE Fred Rouse

P-L
09-10-2007, 10:31 PM
How can Mark Sanchez NOT be a top QB?

Seven career attempts...

vatech=accdomination
09-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Stepehn McGee for real......Sean Glennon is a junior who is thinking about leaving early......

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Stepehn McGee for real......Sean Glennon is a junior who is thinking about leaving early......

Are you serious about Glennon leaving early? or do you mean he's going to transfer to D3 Bridgewater in hopes of starting?

big daddy russ
09-11-2007, 01:06 AM
My Potential 1st Rounders..
Colt McCoy / Texas
I'm anything but a draft guru, and definitely not a McCoy hater. I've been in love with this guy since his days at Jim Ned HS. Thought he was the next coming of Danny Wuerffel even back then (even though he was 'only' a three-star prospect).

But do you really think he's an NFL-type? I just don't see him having the arm strength to be a high prospect. He reminds me a lot of Wuerffel and/or Josh Heupel. Great, great college QB's who had great instincts, were good decision-makers, were pretty accurate, and were tough, gritty leaders, but just didn't have the natural arm to be an elite NFL prospect.

Sorry Don, but Chase Daniels is not 6'1" and definitely not 250. It may say that in the Mizzou program, but he's barely taller than me (I'm a shade under 5'10") and probably right around 200 lbs.

He's reminds me a little of Joe Hamilton, the kid who used to play QB for Georgia Tech. They definitely don't have the same skill set, but Mel Kiper used to say that if Hamilton was just four inches taller he would've been the first pick in the '99 draft.

Daniels will probably measure in somewhere between 5'10" and 5'11" at the combine, and that'll knock him down into the middle- to late-rounds. What sucks is that he really does have a great arm. Easily one of the three strongest arms in the Big XII (Stephen McGee and Freeman may be stronger), he's accurate, and he makes good decisions most of the time. One of those kids you just can't help but root for.

Stephen McGee
McGee has the chance to be a good QB, but he's going to have to learn to take chances and let it rip from time to time. He hesitates a lot on his throws and his windows close. Right now, he's playing not to lose (to keep a barely-average defense off the field as much as possible... that defense is nowhere near as good as the numbers would lead you to believe) and he's doing a great job at keeping his team in games. But because he has to be as careful as possible, he's become a lot more gun shy than when he came out of HS.

But then again, his willingness to sacrifice himself for the good of the team is what separates him from a guy like Reggie McNeal.

To some of the 'gurus' out there, feel free to chime in on the topic. I haven't seen McCoy up close and personal since his HS days. I know his passes have looked a little loose since he took those licks against K-State last year, but did he have more zip on his ball before that? Does it look like his arm strength's improving by leaps and bounds?

soybean
09-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Seven career attempts...

word out of camp is that he is struggling with accuracy too. He'll be fine though. He looked really good in mop up duty last year.

Brent
09-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Stephen McGee
is garbage.

Iamcanadian
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
This is a very weak QB list. I'd say only Tebow and Stafford have a shot at being 1st rounders. The rest look like they will struggle to be day 1 picks.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Most Talented, NFL Type Junior QB is Nate Longshore, he has the size, arm , and leadership qualities to be a NFL QB. For Sophmores its a toss up between Mark Sanchez and Ryan Perrilloux( you can quote me, they are the two most talented Sophmore QBs) , they dont play because their schools show respect to older players who rightfully deserve a shot to play, Flynn and Booty will be drafted this year.

holt_bruce81
09-11-2007, 12:27 PM
i like Chase Daniel alot as well, and have been hearing the Brees comparison alot.......he has very good mechanics and has a nice arm, i think he could be a solid nfl player

phunnypharm
09-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Is age really that much of an issue at the QB position?

I would RATHER have a 24 or 25 year at QB. They still will be able to play for 10+ years and are more likely to have the maturuty needed in the NFL.

I certainly wouldn't consider that age to be a negative......since it is hard enough just to find a GOOD QB in the draft. There are plenty of other reasons to avoid a particular QB.

Scotty D
09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I think people get to enamored with the age of a prospect.

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 01:40 PM
I think people get to enamored with the age of a prospect.

Agreed. Just because he's 21 or 22 doesn't mean he's a better player or that he'll neccessarily play any longer in the NFL.

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 01:42 PM
here's a junior Qb nobody is talking about.

Ben Olson from UCLA. Sure he's going to be 25 or 26 by the time he drafted but he's a solid QB with great size and a strong arm. I actually would not be shocked to see him declare this year if he has an above average season because of his age. if he declared this year i think a team would take a chance on him in the 4th or 5th rounds

phunnypharm
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Just after some of the best junior quarterbacks in college football who might declare for the draft this year and possibly go in the first few rounds, so i know who to watch for and keep track of throughout the year.

Atlanta's Left Tackle situation is too abysmal at the moment not to take a Left Tackle like Sam Barker or Jake Long with our 1st pick and therefore at the moment I'm counting out Brohm.

P.S I'm more an upside "JR" kind of guy than a proven "Brady Quinn" type of guy and none of the seniors seem to be that type of player

If there is a QB that a team feels is a "FRANCHISE" QB........you don't pass him up because you want an OLT first.

QB is the most important position on the filed......BY FAR.

Think about it this way:

If the entire NFL started from scratch........and drafted all over again.........how many teams are going to pick Walter Jones or Orlando Pace before they pick Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?????

Not only that.......but Baker and Long on NOT in the same class athletically as Pace or Jones.

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
If there is a QB that a team feels is a "FRANCHISE" QB........you don't pass him up because you want an OLT first.

tell that to the Cleveland Browns. they got lucky they were able to trade back into the 1st round to get Quinn.

phunnypharm
09-11-2007, 02:11 PM
tell that to the Cleveland Browns. they got lucky they were able to trade back into the 1st round to get Quinn.

Well........

The key here is that MOST teams didn't really see Brady Quinn as a TRUE "franchise" QB.

Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa, Minnesota, Miami, and Jacksonville all could have gone for a "franchise" QB if he was in the same class of prospect as Manning was.

Before anybody calls Cleveland LUCKY........you might want to wait to see if they gave the #1 overall pick to Dallas first!!!

I HIGHLY DOUBT that ANY NFL team will tell you that Brady Quinn is a better prospect than Brohm........and Cleveland also gave up their 2nd round pick in 2007 to boot.

etk
09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Agreed. Just because he's 21 or 22 doesn't mean he's a better player or that he'll neccessarily play any longer in the NFL.

It is important to consider when you're involved in a toss-up between players. From a Bucs' perspective, Amobi Okoye was 19 & Gaines Adams was 24 on draft day. 5 years is a lot of time, especially in a sport as physical as football where your body wears down as you age.

P-L
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I HIGHLY DOUBT that ANY NFL team will tell you that Brady Quinn is a better prospect than Brohm........and Cleveland also gave up their 2nd round pick in 2007 to boot.
I would bet at least half of NFL teams think that Quinn is a better prospect than Brohm. Most scouts have said that if Brohm had entered the 2007 NFL Draft, he would've been the 3rd QB taken. I've actually read an article in which one NFL scout thought that Brohm made a good decision to return to college because he thought as many as five QB would be taken over him last year. Most of the articles I have read about Brohm suggested that he made a wise decision coming back for his senior year, because he wouldn't have been drafted highly in 2007.

phunnypharm
09-12-2007, 08:27 AM
I would bet at least half of NFL teams think that Quinn is a better prospect than Brohm. Most scouts have said that if Brohm had entered the 2007 NFL Draft, he would've been the 3rd QB taken. I've actually read an article in which one NFL scout thought that Brohm made a good decision to return to college because he thought as many as five QB would be taken over him last year. Most of the articles I have read about Brohm suggested that he made a wise decision coming back for his senior year, because he wouldn't have been drafted highly in 2007.

SOURCES?

I'd like to know where these articles came from and who wrote them.

I seriously didn't see many people claiming Quinn was a better prospect last year.......despite the fact that Brohm missed time due to injury.

I know that the ESPN crew (mainly Jaworski) had BIG issues with Quinn's accuracy. They demonstrated how Quinn struggled to throw anything into coverage accurately (not tight coverage, but just between the LBs and CBs). He also missed many WRs downfield that were just plain OPEN. Considering that he doesn't have a true BIG arm anyway, that is cause for BIG concern.

Outside of the NUMEROUS screens and hitches that they ran, I didn't see much to be excited about with Quinn.

SenorGato
09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Well........

The key here is that MOST teams didn't really see Brady Quinn as a TRUE "franchise" QB.

Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa, Minnesota, Miami, and Jacksonville all could have gone for a "franchise" QB if he was in the same class of prospect as Manning was.

Before anybody calls Cleveland LUCKY........you might want to wait to see if they gave the #1 overall pick to Dallas first!!!

Quinn > Brohm as a pro prospect. He's bigger, stronger, faster, better arm, was basically the entire ND program while he was there, and he stayed healthy all through college.

Brohm owns him in accuracy though...

D-Rod
09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Quinn > Brohm as a pro prospect. He's bigger, stronger, faster, better arm, was basically the entire ND program while he was there, and he stayed healthy all through college.

Brohm owns him in accuracy though...

There's your problem.

Bigger: couldn't care less.
Stronger: durability is obviously important, but past injuries are not necessarily an accurate indication.
Faster: again, a bit of mobility is helpful, but it won't make or break a QB.
Better arm: Brohm doesn't have the strongest arm, but he can make every NFL throw.

Where Brohm comes out on top is accuracy and mental acuity. Those are the two key features which will make or break an NFL QB. It's trite to refer to Manning, but there's really no better way to illustrate that speed and arm strength are far less relevant that accuracy and speed of mind.

I'd take Brohm every time, because I'd be totally confident that, barring an injury that could happen to any QB every time he drops back, he would succeed in the NFL. Not to Manning levels, perhaps, but certainly as a 10 year franchise QB.

BradRoper
11-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Cantwell has the strongest arm and is the most accurate of all the junior QBs. Easily going to be the top junior QB taken. Scouts love his size hose for an arm.