PDA

View Full Version : How underrated is Boston College?

Don Vito
09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
They have looked dazzling in their first 2 games against pretty good ACC opponents (Wake and NC State). Matt Ryan, DeJuan Tribble, Gosder Cherilus, and JoLonn Dunbar are playing like All-Americans with players like SS Jamie Silva, OLB Mark Herzlich (#94 an absolute beast of a sophmore), RB Andre Callender, G Ryan Poles, freshman RT Anthony Castonzo, DT Ron Brace, and WR Kevin Challenger playing like stars.

I have watched BC my whole life but I have nevers seen them play the way they are under first year coach Jeff Jagodzinski. This game against GT is huge, and I do believe BC has the potential to do some great things in a weaker than usual ACC. If BJ Raji comes back this defense could be one of the best the nation has to offer, it already looks like BC's best in years, if not ever. Couple the defense with this new found offensive firepower led by Matt Ryan and this team is scary. Does anyone else see BC as a vastly underrated team?

RyanLeaf#1
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
We will see how good they are this week when they have their first real test against Georgia Tech.... Boston College is a 7.5 point underdog

vatech=accdomination
09-10-2007, 07:10 AM
wake was a 1 year wonder, they will still win their division i think.

draftguru151
09-10-2007, 09:01 AM
We will see how good they are this week when they have their first real test against Georgia Tech.... Boston College is a 7.5 point underdog

I think the winner of the conference comes from this game. I picked Boston College to win the ACC in the preseason, I still think they can win it.

constant cough
09-10-2007, 09:06 AM
They might be the team to beat in the ACC. Nationally I wouldn't rank them that high because well, it's the ACC.

RyanLeaf#1
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I think the winner of the conference comes from this game. I picked Boston College to win the ACC in the preseason, I still think they can win it.

So are you predicting an upset in G Tech?

Don Vito
09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
So are you predicting an upset in G Tech?

Personally, I think it can happen. These 2 teams match up very well and we should see a great game. 2 of BCs starting DL are out (Raji and Nick Larkin), but I think we will be OK. Tashard Choice is a beast, stopping
(or slowing him down) him will be key. This team is playing great right now, I think BC will win a close one.

Turtlepower
09-10-2007, 02:15 PM
They have looked dazzling in their first 2 games against pretty good ACC opponents (Wake and NC State).

They beat an underrated Wake Forest and an overrated NC State. I like them and think they could win the ACC, but are not good enough to beat with the top 3 teams in the Big East, PAC-10, SEC, and the top 2 teams in the Big 12.

ncst8fan83
09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
how the hell is ncsu overrated? we were voted last in our division. if we could find a qb who doesn't **** doorknobs for a living, we might be decent. our offensive line is horrendous though.

BC is good, don't get me wrong, but Matt Ryan wasn't exactly a world beater against us last week. 44% isn't going to win you a ton of championships and the road doesn't get easier against a VERY stout GT defense. Tenuta is the best coordinator in the ACC in my opinion. He'd better bring it on the road in Atlanta or GT will beat the hell out of them.

Jonny
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm still skeptical. The ACC looks down again. BC does indeed have a lot of good high end talent, but I don't know if they have the speed to be successful in another conference.

BuddyCHRIST
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
how the hell is ncsu overrated? we were voted last in our division. if we could find a qb who doesn't **** doorknobs for a living, we might be decent. our offensive line is horrendous though.

BC is good, don't get me wrong, but Matt Ryan wasn't exactly a world beater against us last week. 44% isn't going to win you a ton of championships and the road doesn't get easier against a VERY stout GT defense. Tenuta is the best coordinator in the ACC in my opinion. He'd better bring it on the road in Atlanta or GT will beat the hell out of them.

because NC State is a well known name that has been a pretty good team for a while, and people don't realize that they are reallly struggling right now.

moc182
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Very, I had them pegged as the class of the ACC and a top 15 team going in to the season, and I was surprised to see someone I respect alot like Phil Steele picking them last in their division. Veteran team that's very strong on every unit.

ncst8fan83
09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
dude, we've been struggling since Philip Rivers graduated. We're 14-20 since he left. we ain't that good. we can BE good, but we're beyond awful right now and it starts in the trenches. not much quality dl depth and we ain't got **** on the OL. regardless of past records though, we're far from "overrated" this year. in fact, i'm kinda scared about wofford this weekend to tell you the truth.

megansett56BC
09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
i think that matt ryan throwing 44% against the coach who recruited, developed, and molded him into a qb would know how to defend him. i can also tell you didn't watch the game, because its tough to complete more than 44% when your receivers drop at least 8 very catchable balls (and that's no exaggeration). so don't throw out statistics when they're taken out of context.

in light of that, if BC wins this game, barring a huge upset, they go 6-0 heading into notre dame, and then with the way notre dame is playing, go 7-0 when they begin to play the more talented teams in the ACC. they definitely have a shot at winning it.

ncst8fan83
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
44% is 44% i don't give a rats ass how many balls were dropped. fine, blame your receivers. it still won't get it done against teams with an offense worth a crap. The fact of the matter is we played TONS of zone in the BC game which is a totally foreign concept to our players who were recruited to play man-to-man coverage.

Don't give me that cop out that TOB knew all the players so well. Those defensive players have played against that offensive playbook for the past 4 years. That's a two way street, but I'm sure your homerism and the BC fan bases blind hatred towards TOB will influence that a bit. How about the fact you scored 24 points off turnovers. TWENTY-FOUR FREAKING POINTS. If we don't have a completely inept QB and OL, it's a manageable game at least. Y'all ain't THAT good, sorry. I do find the inflated egos of the BC fanbase after beating two crappy teams. GT wins by 2 td's at least.

Don Vito
09-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Anyone catch the BC-GT game? It wasn't as close as the score showed. Matt Ryan was dominant and this was a big win for BC.

draftguru151
09-16-2007, 08:30 AM
BC's run defense was fantastic. Completely shut down Choice. Ryan looked like one of the best in the nation. BC is definitely the best in the ACC.

09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
matt ryan now should be considered as atleast a marginal 1st round talent

Don Vito
09-16-2007, 12:59 PM
BC's run defense was fantastic. Completely shut down Choice. Ryan looked like one of the best in the nation. BC is definitely the best in the ACC.

Their defense was amzing with 3 starters out (Toal, Raji, Larkin). BC has had a lot of the guys on both sides of the ball step up, especially defense (#60 DT Ron Brace, #94 LB Mark Herzlich, #55 DT Damik Scaife). Matt Ryan put that below average NC State game behind him and had probably the best game of his career (over the Wake game 2 weeks ago). I think not only is he a borderline 1st rounder but a top 10 Heisman candidate, espeically after beating GT and now they have what looks to be a ridiculously easy 4 game stretch.

vatech=accdomination
09-16-2007, 02:38 PM
i Was happy to see GT lose, GT's coaching staff is overated, They abandoned the run and blitzing on defense in the first quarter.

JagHombre22
09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
matt ryan now should be considered as atleast a marginal 1st round talent

I'm pretty sure he was considered a marginal first round talent before the GT game...

megansett56BC
09-16-2007, 06:04 PM
look how much better he is when receivers don't drop passes...

either way, he looked dominant and the deep balls he was throwing were fantastic. i'd still have him behind woodson and brohm but definitely ahead of some of the others

and the run defense has been outstanding, but IMO their major weakness right now is the lack of a pass rush, and that definitely hurts with larkin out.

504 to ATL
09-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Hmmm. That game was not a very good indicator. BC played very well, but their competition(GT) did not play up to par, and it was not because BC dominated them that much.

Bennett has repeatedly skipped his passes into his receivers, and the coaching staff did abandon the run, as someone has already stated.

Also, you would not believe the calls BC got, I was very surprised for a minute I thought I was at BC's stadium. GT's coaching staff is over rated, but I would not chalk up BC as being dominant in the ACC just yet.

GTech when Bennett gets his passing sorted out will balance the offense, and GTech could very well defeat BC.

SuperKevin
09-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Quick question here. If BC runs the table in the ACC and finishes undefeated do they get national championship consideration?

draftguru151
09-17-2007, 08:34 AM
Any undefeated team in a BCS conference will get consideration, but if USC and LSU go undefeated too they won't get in because they'll never get ranked over them. I don't see anyway BC goes undefeated though, their last 5 games will be tough and I don't see them getting through all of those.

ncst8fan83
09-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Color me surprised. I'm even more impressed with our pass defense given how Ryan smoked GT. You can put it on the receivers all you want, but the fact remains that Ryan bumrushed GT and Wake and looked pedestrian against us. I'm pulling for BC from here on out though cuz lord knows FSU won't do jack **** with that inept offense.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-17-2007, 10:00 AM
They are not underated they just play in the ACC and the ACC is arguably the worst confrence this year, they should win the ACC this year.

Don Vito
09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

They are now ranked #12, which I am liking. I think that is the highest we have been rated in quite a while. I am pretty sure (almost positive) it's gonna come down to BC/Clemson in the ACC, which was a great game a year ago. Remainder of schedule-

Army
Umass
Bowling Green
Notre Dame
VT
FSU
Maryland
Clemson
Miami

Hopefully we will be 7-0 afeter the ND game, VT and BC always play eachother tough though. FSU and Maryland could be tough games, as could Miami. The Clemson one will be a great game.

BUTerriers
09-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Matt Ryan is the one who is underrated, at least by Scott...Number 8 in the QB rankings and not even in the top 10 of his Heisman handicapping...I just don't understand it. He deserves to be at least number ten.