PDA

View Full Version : playoff system or bowl system?

nyjetsguy27
01-16-2007, 07:20 AM
8 team playoff or current BCS bowl system?

i say playoff

MaxV
01-16-2007, 08:50 AM
BCS sucks. With that said, it will be difficult selecting top 8 teams, as teams that miss the cut will be upset also.

njx9
01-16-2007, 08:55 AM
a #9 team looking in is less of a problem than having 3 unbeaten teams at the end of the year.

dcrls
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
stop dreaming people, a playoff would never happen, the bcs is ok, sure they've ****** some stuff up, but its pretty decent IMO

WildDude
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
playoff... they should set it up so that a certain playoff game is a bowl game and the championship is whatever

njx9
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
stop dreaming people, a playoff would never happen, the bcs is ok, sure they've *********** some stuff up, but its pretty decent IMO

yeah, we really should stop dreaming. just like all the folks who wanted to #1 vs. #2 game. they never got the conference folks to budge on that one. oh wait, they did? so maybe fan pressure does get things done? so maybe we shouldn't stop dreaming or being satisfied with moronic results?

:roll:

RWFender1
01-16-2007, 04:48 PM
leave it, its fine

badgerbacker
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I know the current system isn't perfect, but I like it much better than an 8 team playoff.

cgrsly57
01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
A four team playoff is all thats needed. In the history of the BCS there has never been a team outside of the top four that has been deserving except maybe this year with Boise.

yourfavestoner
01-16-2007, 07:49 PM
stop dreaming people, a playoff would never happen, the bcs is ok, sure they've *********** some stuff up, but its pretty decent IMO

yeah, we really should stop dreaming. just like all the folks who wanted to #1 vs. #2 game. they never got the conference folks to budge on that one. oh wait, they did? so maybe fan pressure does get things done? so maybe we shouldn't stop dreaming or being satisfied with moronic results?

:roll:

Eventually the consumer will get what he demands, Delany said. But he cites TV ratings and attendance figures as evidence that the consumer has yet to truly demand change.

Defending his assertion, Delany said revenue from college football has grown to $900 million from $200 million since 1990; average attendance for Big Ten games has increased to 71,000 from 58,000 over that same period; and the rising TV ratings and sponsorship dollars suggest the game is as healthy as ever.

"There's probably more of an outcry than there was 15 years ago for something different. I don't disagree with that," Delany said during a recent interview in Chicago. "But what I've also seen simultaneously is the growth in interest in the BCS and the regular season.

"If the public walks away from our games during the regular season and walks away from television during the regular season and walks away from the bowls, they're saying, We won't support this anymore. We want something else.' But I don't see them walking away from anything."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The conference officials are definitely noticing that there's public pressure for a playoff, but with Delany's attitude, it doesn't look like it's ever going to matter. College football fans are just too loyal to boycott the games in protest of the BCS. It's just never going to happen, IMO.

TCU
01-16-2007, 11:59 PM
go ahead and say 8 team playoff then tell me who gets in, if you think there is any contreversy now just wait, it will be a bigger debate than bush and iraq

soybean
01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
A four team playoff is all thats needed. In the history of the BCS there has never been a team outside of the top four that has been deserving except maybe this year with Boise.

so this year it would have been: OSU, Michigan, Florida, LSU? what about SC?

TCU
01-17-2007, 12:17 AM

4 team is an even worse idea because you cant narrow it down to 4

OSU Michigan Florida LSU Louisville Wisconsin USC Boise Oklahoma Auburn

good luck pleasing more people with a "playoff"

the BCS has it right they have a playoff its a two team playoff that works.

cgrsly57
01-17-2007, 12:31 AM

Thats a good point about USC but if you think about it they didnt DESERVE to be in the playoff. When it was all said and done they probably were one of the best teams in the country but the regular season still has to mean something and USC lost 2 games to below average teams. If there was a playoff they wouldnt have earned their way in.

cgrsly57
01-17-2007, 12:36 AM

The playoff this year would have been OSU, Michigan, Florida and LSU or USC. Seems pretty easy to narrow it down to me. :?

RWFender1
01-17-2007, 01:00 AM
so a team like boise state gets into the plays offs just because they had a crap schedule and went undefeated? yeah, this seems like a better alternative :roll:

NFLBOY
01-17-2007, 07:30 AM
The BCS worked out good this year. It proved that Michigan was not worthy of being at the top and a shot for the NC. It also showed how Florida was the legit team to play there. No matter what certain schools fans thought should be done, it was done correctly. The only playoff game or final game to consider would maybe Florida and USC. That way we would at least get to see 1 more a good game.

njx9
01-17-2007, 04:30 PM

you can't take a single year and extrapolate it across every year. what about the years in which there were\are 3 undefeated teams at year's end? that "two team playoff" garbage you espouse sure worked wonders.

but yeah, i'm sure there'd be just as much outcry over a 1-loss team missing the final four as there is a 1-loss team missing the BCS for a 2-loss team or an undefeated team. :roll:

njx9
01-17-2007, 04:36 PM
so a team like boise state gets into the plays offs just because they had a crap schedule and went undefeated? yeah, this seems like a better alternative :roll:

so you're saying that a team like nebraska gets into the championship game because the computers decided that the #4 ranking was meaningless? yeah, much better alternative. or in 2003, when there was no clear national champion because there were three, more or less equal one loss teams? yeah, glad we didn't get to see LSU and USC play. great alternative there.

01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
there has never been a team outside of the top four that has been deserving except maybe this year with Boise.

I dont believe Boise is deserving. Teams know going into the season that if they dont schedule hard teams they risk not being ranked as high.

Boise barely beat the #7 ranked team in Oklahoma who allready had 2 loses. They beat them by many trick plays, where if one didnt work the game would have been lost. The top 5 teams in the country would have all beaten Boise.

cgrsly57
01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
there has never been a team outside of the top four that has been deserving except maybe this year with Boise.

I dont believe Boise is deserving. Teams know going into the season that if they dont schedule hard teams they risk not being ranked as high.

Boise barely beat the #7 ranked team in Oklahoma who allready had 2 loses. They beat them by many trick plays, where if one didnt work the game would have been lost. The top 5 teams in the country would have all beaten Boise.

Did you even read the whole post? I said that there needs to be a 4 team playoff in which case Boise wouldnt have gotten in. With that being said its ridiculous to say that "The top 5 teams in the country would have all beaten Boise". Boise beat an oregon state team that beat USC but im sure USC would have no problem destroying Boise.... :roll:

ndctu1138
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I think college football should have a combination of both playoffs and bowls. The top teams (4, 8, however many you want) should get into the playoffs and then the rest of the teams should have bowl games minus the BCS. These playoff games can still be sponsored by big name companies so college football losing money doesn't really have to be an issue. And the other schools play in bowl games which could serve as a consolation sort of like the post-season NIT in college basketball.

dcrls
01-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I think college football should have a combination of both playoffs and bowls. The top teams (4, 8, however many you want) should get into the playoffs and then the rest of the teams should have bowl games minus the BCS. These playoff games can still be sponsored by big name companies so college football losing money doesn't really have to be an issue. And the other schools play in bowl games which could serve as a consolation sort of like the post-season NIT in college basketball.

yea..........but.................................. ....................

Snoogans
01-18-2007, 09:46 PM
An 8 team playoff would be so easy to do.

Take a week or 2 off after the Conf. Champ. games. Play first wek, 2nd week and then another week off and then a Champ. Game. It's smart and you could still have ALL those other teams in their regular bowls. They need to do it.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Playoff, or make the season start a bit earlier and have bowl games right after the season, nobody wants to see this deluded football played 50 days after the season ended. It makes for bad games, and doesn't do either of the teams any justice.

P-L
01-18-2007, 10:10 PM
A +1 is the way to go.

PackerFan20
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
why cant there be both?

Cavalier17
01-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree. I like watching the Bowl Games. I think there should be a playoff for top 12 teams, like NFL, and Bowl Games for the rest.