PDA

View Full Version : Indy D?

thetedginnshow
09-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I wanted opinions from people other than Colts fans as well, so I didn't go to their thread.

But is this D for real? Or was that just a fluke? They looked great, but I don't know if that was just a combination of first game jitters from NO and the emotion of the ring ceremony or what.

Dam8610
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
This question has been asked a lot, so I've had a little time and writing it out to help me gather my thoughts on it, so here's the most unbiased opinion I can offer:

First, you have to acknowledge that what the Colts' defense did was expected nowhere outside of Indianapolis, and even there, very few people would've expected such a great performance. The New Orleans Saints have one of the best collections of offensive talent in the NFL, and the Colts' defense rendered it almost entirely ineffective. Now, to the question at hand: is the Colts' defense really that good, or was it a fluke? A case can be made for both sides, but as I see it, as with any extremist question, the answer lies somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. To hold one of the best RB duos in the NFL to 76 rushing yards on 22 carries (that's 3.45 yards per carry for those keeping track) while simultaneously holding one of the best QBs in the NFL in Drew Brees to one of the worst yards per completion rates (6.85) in NFL history, forcing 3 turnovers, and allowing only 3 points is quite an accomplishment, however, it must be remembered that it is only one game, and great defensive performances have been posted by mediocre to bad defensive teams many a time before. Add to that the fact that the strength of the Saints' offense and their tendency when they have their best success is the passing game, with the deep ball being a big part of that at times. The thing the Colts' defense does best is take away the deep ball and the passing game, so the Saints' offense basically plays into the Colts' defense's hands, which certainly helped the Colts during the game. Another thing to consider was that the Saints' playcalling was, to say the least, odd. They tried to be too tricky, running plays such as reverses with frequency, and tried to outquick the Colts' defense at times, which is never a smart thing to try to do.

zoinks
09-10-2007, 01:39 AM
At this point.....we really don't know.

From the 2006 postseason through week 1 of 2007, no team has had more than 25 rushing attempts against the Colts. Nobody has forced the Colts' D to stop the run for all four quarters.

The Patriots, Bears, and Saints weren't exactly tearing it up, but they were running the ball fairly effectively....and yet each of them chose to eschew the running game, and rely primarily on the passing game....which, of course, plays right into the greatest strengths of the Colts' defense.

This week's opponent will be the litmus test for the Colts' D. The Titans have always been a run-oriented team, and just shredded the Jags' vaunted defense for 280+ rushing yards on 49 attempts.

The Saints tested the Colts' speed, and failed miserably. Expect a completely different approach from the Titans; they'll be testing the Colts' power, their staying power, and their heart. Expect a physical, brutal matchup.....and then we'll know just what this Colts' defense is made of.

Dam8610
09-10-2007, 01:56 AM
From the 2006 postseason through week 1 of 2007, no team has had more than 25 rushing attempts against the Colts.

Really? Because NFL.com's gamecenter (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=2007&week=REG1&game_id=29195) shows the Saints had 25 rushing attempts against the Colts, 26 if you count Drew Brees's 4 yard scramble on a pass play.