PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips Question...

D-Fence
09-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Not real big on the prospect evaluation front, so I figured I'd look for some guru input...As a Cowboys fan, after the game tonight, this is definately a guy we've gotta be keeping our eyes on closely...But anyways...

How does this kid stack up against guys like Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Michael Huff, Laron Landry, Reggie Nelson, Donte Whitner and other safeties who have been highly-touted in the last handful of years?

fenikz
09-10-2007, 12:16 AM
i'd rank them like this from a prospect stand point

Sean Taylor
Kenny Phillips
Laron Landry
Micheal Huff
Ed Reed
Donte Whitner
Reggie Nelson

Taylor was just a freak at Miami, Phillips maybe not hit as hard or be as athletic, but he is a playmaker who is great in coverage and agianst the run, always makes a big play when it's needed

moc182
09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Him and Taylor are 1A and 1B in my book. Taylor's more impressive physically but Phillips makes up for it with his awareness.

fenikz
09-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I agree with that Phillips is better overall safety, but Taylor was just a freak

kinda Charles Rogers vs Andre Johnson situation(as prospects not now)

etk
09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
He's an innate playmaker like Ed Reed, plus he's very physical. I thought he had a "bad game" against Oklahoma because I didn't notice him much. He still had about 13 tackles according to DG, which says a lot about the kind of impact he usually brings.

P-L
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Phillips was impressive in run support against Oklahoma. He had 13 tackles (8 solo), 1 tackle for loss (1 solo), and a forced fumble.

Like fenikz, I would rank Phillips just between Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry.

jbeans187
09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
The forced fumble he had was just a perfect tackle with his head on the ball

draftguru151
09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Before I rank him as high as Taylor I need to see more plays against the pass. He's good in man coverage, and he didn't get beat against OU (only time I remember them even throwing to his side he was responsible for someone in the backfield) but he hasn't shown the range or ball skills Taylor or Reed showed at Miami.

TACKLE
09-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Taylor had amazing production. In his senior year, he had 10 INT's. Physically Kenny Phillips is comparable to Taylor but his production isn't close.

Finsfan79
09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
He is whom I am hoping the fins to take next year (along with oline in every dang round). Kid is amazing specially attacking the run. But he has good awareness in coverage too. He is not the athletic freak of Sean Taylor but he is close to it.

Travis 24
09-12-2007, 05:37 PM
...Am I the only person who thinks he's incredibly over-rated?

He might be a great athlete...but not the best football player at that position.

draftguru151
09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
What makes you say that? He's not really an amazing, epic type athlete. Good size (6-2, 210), good speed (4.5 40), but his athleticism isn't something that would get him ranked this high without the on field production.

fenikz
09-12-2007, 07:07 PM

He might be a great athlete...but not the best football player at that position.

yes you are the only person alive who thinks that

09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
i'd rank them like this from a prospect stand point

Sean Taylor
Kenny Phillips
Laron Landry
Micheal Huff
Ed Reed
Donte Whitner
Reggie Nelson

Taylor was just a freak at Miami, Phillips maybe not hit as hard or be as athletic, but he is a playmaker who is great in coverage and agianst the run, always makes a big play when it's needed

your dead on with the rankings from a prospect standpoint and their evaluation comin out of college

scottyboy
09-12-2007, 07:37 PM
What makes you say that? He's not really an amazing, epic type athlete. Good size (6-2, 210), good speed (4.5 40), but his athleticism isn't something that would get him ranked this high without the on field production.

but he's no Courtney Greene!! :D

kidding, kidding. (or am I?)

ok i am...?

CC.SD
09-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I never understood why Ed Reed wasn't considered an amazing prospect, all he did was make unbelievable plays all through college. He's made a few in the NFL now too.

America
09-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Reed was undersized coming out, and that kind of safety hadn't become so necessary in the NFL yet. There weren't as many 3 wide out sets so a versatile safety who could cover the slot wasn't as common. And he isn't exactly the brightest guy.

Travis 24
09-13-2007, 05:40 AM
I just don't understand why their has to be a consensus that he's the best safety in the country, when other guys have outplayed him...just don't see the logic in that one.

Didn't Miami's defense give up 6 touchdowns through the air?

draftguru151
09-13-2007, 08:46 AM
So because Randy Phillips can't cover Kenny isn't good? Who's out played him? Your last reason was because the athlete he is, when he really isn't a mind blowing athlete, so why does everyone have him at the top if he hasn't done it on the field?

keylime_5
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Actually coming out of college, Reed was like a 20-something overall pick whereas the other guys mentioned were all top 10, so I guess Reed was considered the least best prospect of those mentioned save Reggie Nelson....But then again back in 2001 safeties didn't go as high as often as they have the past few years. Huff and Whitner were both better prospects than Landry, but Landry was right there after Donte.

1-Taylor
2-Phillips
3-Huff
4-Whitner
5-Landry
6-Reed
7-Nelson

etk
09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
I just don't understand why their has to be a consensus that he's the best safety in the country, when other guys have outplayed him...just don't see the logic in that one.

Who has outplayed him? I'm very interested now.

d34ng3l021
09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Actually coming out of college, Reed was like a 20-something overall pick whereas the other guys mentioned were all top 10, so I guess Reed was considered the least best prospect of those mentioned save Reggie Nelson....But then again back in 2001 safeties didn't go as high as often as they have the past few years. Huff and Whitner were both better prospects than Landry, but Landry was right there after Donte.

1-Taylor
2-Phillips
3-Huff
4-Whitner
5-Landry
6-Reed
7-Nelson

Whitner was a massive reach. Landry and Huff may be close in terms of prospect wise, but I would say that Landry is the better prospect.

LonghornsLegend
09-15-2007, 05:28 PM
as much as id love to see him in dallas, we need too many other things...CB, OL, WR, RB, etc....dont see us taking a safety with the browns pick as good as phillips will end up being, i would of been happier with merriweather last draft

Mr. Stiller
09-15-2007, 06:03 PM

This is just an absolutely terribly horrible class of safeties..

Simeon Castille and Tom Zbikowski are the top seniors. Neither is really top notch... they would've been 3rd/4th rounders this past season.

draftguru151
09-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Castille is a CB.

Mr. Stiller
09-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Castille is a CB.

Castille is being looked at by a lot of people as a S.

draftguru151
09-15-2007, 11:24 PM
And who are these people?

Mr. Stiller
09-15-2007, 11:54 PM

Muphy of Yahoo Sports and at least 2 scouts for the Steelers.

etk
09-16-2007, 10:16 AM

He has the size and he's one of the best tackling CBs I've seen in a little while, so I see the possibility.

Sniper
09-21-2007, 08:27 AM

Yup, you'd be the only one with that opinion. You should probably stop talking Champ, sit the next couple plays out.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-21-2007, 12:03 PM
i would rank Landry above Whitner and Huff coming out, but thats just my opinion. I'd stick with the first list that was posted.

Taylor
Phillips
Landry
Huff
Whitner
Reed
Nelson

Taylor was amazing at the U. he made great plays on the ball, something he hasn't always done in the NFL. he was solid against the run and had a swagger.

I actually preferred Whitner to Huff as a prospect, but i'm in the minority in that regard.

Reed was a different type of player and i don't think safties then were the type that there are today so he may have been undervalued. but he was undersized, so from a physical standpoint many observers may have had a worry about taking him any higher also.

Nelson isn't in the others league IMO. but i honestly didn't see a lot of Florida games and when i did i didn't really think he was the all-around saftey that many of the other guys in this list were/are

HawkeyeFan
09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Can Kenny Phillips play Strong Safety in the NFL?

keylime_5
09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Whitner was a massive reach. Landry and Huff may be close in terms of prospect wise, but I would say that Landry is the better prospect.

He was supposed to go in the 10-15 range...But the 2006 draft was WAY more loaded and deeper than the 2007 draft (which was very top heavy, only 5 or 6 elite kinda players). If Whitner was in last year's draft or if Landry was in the 06 draft Donte would've went before LaRon both times.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-21-2007, 01:55 PM
He was supposed to go in the 10-15 range...But the 2006 draft was WAY more loaded and deeper than the 2007 draft (which was very top heavy, only 5 or 6 elite kinda players). If Whitner was in last year's draft or if Landry was in the 06 draft Donte would've went before LaRon both times.

No way bro LaRon was a top 10 pick all the way he was either going to the Skins at 6 or Falcons at 8 and worst case scenario at #10 to the Texans, if you think differently you are lying to yourself, it is Whitner who was picked to early and no he was not a better prospect than Landry, stop being a homer.

draftguru151
09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
You'll find more people that think Landry is a better prospect than Huff than Whitner was better than Landry.

djp
09-22-2007, 09:16 AM
We're overrating Kenny right now. He had a GREAT game against A&M, but there were too many times last year where he got beat. I cannot remember a bad game from Sean Taylor while at Miami, Kenny has given us a few of those (Louisville comes to mind). He needs to be more consistent. He definitely has the tools to be the next top 10 overall safety, but I think he just needs to

1. Grow into his body more, he's not NFL built yet like Taylor was
2. Eliminate the lapses in coverage (he's been solid so far this year)
3. Improve his speed

jbsg02
09-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Huff was very highly touted coming out, especially after he ran in the 4.3's at the combine. If you remember, scouts were saying he would have been the first CB taken as well as safety

jbeans187
09-23-2007, 02:21 AM
Huff was very highly touted coming out, especially after he ran in the 4.3's at the combine. If you remember, scouts were saying he would have been the first CB taken as well as safety

Landry ran in the 4.3's too. No saftey since Sean Taylor would have been taken ahead of Landry

jbsg02
09-23-2007, 02:41 AM
Landry ran in the 4.3's too. No saftey since Sean Taylor would have been taken ahead of Landry

I didn't say Huff would have been

LonghornsLegend
09-23-2007, 09:31 AM
I doubt huff or whitner would of went before Landry, everyone was salivating over a 4 year starter, who could hit, had ideal weight and was as fast as a WR....Huff would of been close in the same draft due to his coverage skills and being able to play so many different positions for a team

Addict
09-23-2007, 09:54 AM
You'll find more people that think Landry is a better prospect than Huff than Whitner was better than Landry.

Whitner was a HUGE suprise when he was drafted #8, he was good, but nobody (except Mike Mayock) saw him go top 10.

Dolfan2788
09-24-2007, 01:58 AM
We're overrating Kenny right now. He had a GREAT game against A&M, but there were too many times last year where he got beat. I cannot remember a bad game from Sean Taylor while at Miami, Kenny has given us a few of those (Louisville comes to mind). He needs to be more consistent. He definitely has the tools to be the next top 10 overall safety, but I think he just needs to

1. Grow into his body more, he's not NFL built yet like Taylor was
2. Eliminate the lapses in coverage (he's been solid so far this year)
3. Improve his speed

He didn't have a great game against A&M at all. He made one good open field tackle and that was it.

He got burnt on a wheel route where he was looking into the backfield and wasn't quick enough to react and was not around the ball nearly as much as a Top 10 pick should be.