PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on opening day

Iamcanadian
09-10-2007, 05:03 AM
GB's defense is moving into that special area.

Houston will be vastly improved. Schaub is head and shoulders above Carr.

Roethlisberger is healthy and very dangerous again.

New England could be unstoppable

Atlanta/Oakland/KC/Cleveland are in for a very, very long season.

Chicago - Grossman hasn't made much of a forward stride. GB and Minny could give them a fight.

Dallas - Romo is the real deal and that makes them a serious contender.

Indy won't slip too much but NE will beat them out.

San Diego survived their 1st test under Turner.

If he stays healthy, Eli Manning might just have a breakout season.

Addict
09-10-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm still not buying into Minny, yes they won, but I feel they lucked out.

Diehard
09-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Right now, any warm body can be the "real deal" against the Giant's secondary - they are simply terrible. I hope the Giant's DL gets back to full strength soon, as they're gonna need all the pass rush they can get...

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Chicago - Grossman hasn't made much of a forward stride. GB and Minny could give them a fight.
I'm going to wait untill we play head-to-head (or if we lose to the Chiefs, then the season is over). But yeah...both teams have some serious flaws, but if they can pull an upset here or there, particularly against us, it could get real interesting.

By the way, Grossman didn't have a good game yesterday, but other than fumbling the ball once (which his runningback recovered) he didn't have an epic bad game. The pick he threw wasn't his fault, and he showed good ball placement at times and bad placement at other times. San Diego is a good defense, if he throws three picks against the Chiefs I'll start calling for his head again.

JK17
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
By the way, Grossman didn't have a good game yesterday, but other than fumbling the ball once (which his runningback recovered) he didn't have an epic bad game. The pick he threw wasn't his fault, and he showed good ball placement at times and bad placement at other times. San Diego is a good defense, if he throws three picks against the Chiefs I'll start calling for his head again.

Personally, I thought if Chicago had not tried to force the run on some of their later drives, the game could have gone a different direction. Grossman was beating us on a lot of 15-20 yard pass plays to Berrian. The interception, like you said was not even remotely his fault, yet his critics will come out of this game saying that Grossman can't compete with the Bears this year. Not to mention San Diego was getting good pressure all game and the secondary didn't play terrible.

bigbluedefense
09-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't know about Roethlisberger. His #s weren't THAT impressive against a horrible Cleveland team.

He threw 52%. Granted he had 4 TDs, but still, he shouldve done better against that team.

On a side note, I didn't like Turner's playcalling in SD this week. He was too obvious with his play selection. You just knew when they were running. It was too obvious.

TitleTown088
09-10-2007, 11:54 AM

Neither GB nor Minny have the offensive firepower to beat Chicago heads up in divisional games. . Is Jackson capable of being a playoff QB? Not a chance . Is GB's running game capable of leading them to the playoffs? Not unless there is some serious serious improvements. On the other hand perhaps Chicago dosen't have the offensive firepower to beat Minny and GB now? I can see what you're getting at with Chicago possibly being pressed for the division, but baring any more injuries for them they are still the clear cut favorites. They just have a couple chinks in their armor showing right now, they'll likely patch them up.

As for your comment about GB's defense, I couldn't agree more. One more Ted Thompson draft and this unit could be nipping at the heals of Chicago, Baltimore, and SD. ( Maybe) The same could be said for Minn, if they find a consistant pass rush.. I think that the Norris could likely be the best defensive division in the NFL. Well, minus the Lions of course.

yodabear
09-10-2007, 12:03 PM
GB's defense is moving into that special area.

Houston will be vastly improved. Schaub is head and shoulders above Carr.

Roethlisberger is healthy and very dangerous again.

New England could be unstoppable

Atlanta/Oakland/KC/Cleveland/St. Louis are in for a very, very long season.

Indy won't slip too much but NE will beat them out.

San Diego survived their 1st test under Turner.

If he stays healthy, Eli Manning might just have a breakout season.

Fixed it for u, everything else I agree with u on.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
i learned that the Jets have no pass rush, and that the 3-4 really isn't working for our personel. 4-3 anybody?

PoopSandwich
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
It's always a long season for Browns fans... All we have to look forward to is a young defense growing some more, Brady Quinn... Winslow/Edwards.

yodabear
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM
It's always a long season for Browns fans... All we have to look forward to is a young defense growing some more, Brady Quinn... Winslow/Edwards.

Is Quinn starting?

Addict
09-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Is Quinn starting?

Wouldn't be surprised if he does

yodabear
09-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm still not buying into Minny, yes they won, but I feel they lucked out.

They got lucky cuz they got Atlanta in week 1 right, not cuz of the way they played right?

Addict
09-10-2007, 12:12 PM
They got lucky cuz they got Atlanta in week 1 right, not cuz of the way they played right?

Exactly, the titans had the other kind of luck.

yodabear
09-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Exactly, the titans had the other kind of luck.

yeah, I agree with ya. I will not be hoping on the Viking bandwaon anytime soon. they beat the falcons.

rchrd
09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
yeah, I agree with ya. I will not be hoping on the Viking bandwaon anytime soon. they beat the falcons.

Being a Viking fan I aint either but I haven't really read anything saying we're great just that Peterson is a beast and we have a D capable of making plays. Nothin really more than that.

regoob2
09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Chicago - Grossman hasn't made much of a forward stride. GB and Minny could give them a fight.
QUOTE]

We are still far and away the best team in the division. We held the best team in football to 14 points both of which were off TO's. I'm really not worried. Grossman does not look confident enough to lead us past a D like the Chargers, he's got that stupid "duh" look on his face similar to eli but he wasn't the problem. It's not like the Chargers smoked us we beat ourselves with TO's. NO team in all of football would beat the chargers with 4 TO's 3 I believe on there own side of the field. there's 16 games for a reason i'm definetly dissapointed with the O especially the running game which is supposed to be our "bread and butter" but watcha gonna do. We obviously need for someone else to step up as the #2 receiver Moose is looking old Berrian had Moss itis when he took that play off for the pick. I hope Bradley can step up at receiver and when Olsen comes back i think that will definetly help. I'm pissed about the loss like all other Bears fans but were still the cream of the crop in this division, even though the pack D looked real good.

PoopSandwich
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Is Quinn starting?

No announcement yet, I'm just saying when he does it will be something exciting to watch... Frye and Anderson is as fun as lighting yourself on fire and jumping off a bridge.

Xenos
09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't know about Roethlisberger. His #s weren't THAT impressive against a horrible Cleveland team.

He threw 52%. Granted he had 4 TDs, but still, he shouldve done better against that team.

On a side note, I didn't like Turner's playcalling in SD this week. He was too obvious with his play selection. You just knew when they were running. It was too obvious.

In way, his conservative play calling is also how we won the game. The Chicago D thrives on putting points on the board via turnovers. We just essentially wore them down and made them suspect the run by using it so much, which led to the halfback option pass to Gates.
The play calling also got better in the second half when we screened it to more to LT, and confused the Bear's D. The only big change I would have done is have Turner in there more and earlier. He's a great guy to use against a defense like the Bears.

Geo
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I was very impressed with the Bears defense yesterday.

Shiver
09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I was very impressed with the Bears defense yesterday.

It's too bad Mike Brown and Dusty Dvoracek got hurt.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
No announcement yet, I'm just saying when he does it will be something exciting to watch... Frye and Anderson is as fun as lighting yourself on fire and jumping off a bridge.

I heard somebody (maybe Jimmy Johnson?) say that Phil Savage told him they're not going to make the same mistake with Quinn that they made with Tim Couch in 1999, throwing him in in week 2 after an opening day beatdown from, oddly enough, the Steelers. I still think Quinn's going to be the starter no later than week 6. For the record, playing him at all this season I think is the wrong move, but Crennel and Savage both are probably trying to save their jobs.

Shiver
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
That is such an ignorant assumption that Tim Could would have been good had he not played right away. That's what I call an 'excuse' when he really was just not good and was benefited by his college offense.

Mr. Stiller
09-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Here's a few pointers though:

12/23 ~ I'm not making excuses but there were 4 very catchable passes that were dropped. Those 4 catches would have made his passes from 52% to 70%.

Also, the biggest thing was Ben played smart. He knew when to take his down field shots, and when to throw the ball away. He threw a screen pass at Willies feet because the defense had it sniffed out. He also threw the ball away 3 times. Last year that would've been 3 INT's.

Also you have to factor in the Field position. I believe we only started 3-4 Drives from our own side of the field. Ben didn't have to do much or lead his team 90 yards consistently.

Sure he could've put up 300 yards and maybe 5-6 TDs and it'd look better on paper, but he played smart mistake free football and I think this is the best I've seen him.

Not to mention.. all 4 of his TD passes were to different players: Spaeth, Miller, Ward and Holmes.

2 Games in Cleveland (2006):

11/21, 1 TD, 52%, 225 yards.
25/44, 2 TD, 57%, 272 yards, 3 INT

Great Stats?

No, but he played smart and mistake free football. He's looking the best I've ever seen him. He didn't make 1 bad pass.

But my hats off to cleveland. Antwan Peek and Kamerion Wimbley were in the backfield more often than I liked.

So my opinion is.. He didn't have eye popping stats.. but he played perfect football. Did what was needed when they needed a play.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
That is such an ignorant assumption that Tim Could would have been good had he not played right away. That's what I call an 'excuse' when he really was just not good and was benefited by his college offense.

Not at all what I'm getting at man, but okay. I'm a firm believer that ANY rookie QB on a bad team doesn't exactly benefit by playing right away. Would David Carr or Joey Harrington have been better off by NOT being thrown right in surrounded by zero talent? They definitely wouldn't have been worse off. I'm not trying to defend Tim Couch in any way...

Shiver
09-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing that assertion from Phil Savage.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing that assertion from Phil Savage.

Well, maybe his reasoning behind it is flawed, but I think it would be a good idea to keep Quinn riding pine this season. It's not going to happen, though. He'll need the whole "playing a rookie QB" excuse to save his ass after the Browns wind up with another top draft pick.

Geo
09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
I've already posted when I think Quinn takes over (see the NFL Truths link below), but it's important for the Browns to get their offensive line playing as a cohesive unit before putting Quinn in. Joe Thomas was a great pick.

BlindSite
09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Agreed, you need to have the unit cohesive, the thing is though, maybe having a kid who can win behind you will help motivate them to play better.

It would suck trying your hardest only to have some knucklehead make a boneheaded play.