PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown & Dusty Dvoracek lost for the season

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 02:29 PM
The Chicago Bears lost two defensive starters for the season during Sunday's 14-3 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

Safety Mike Brown suffered a season-ending knee injury, while defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek suffered a season-ending torn ACL.

Brown suffered the injury during the fourth quarter of Chicago's season-opening 14-3 loss in San Diego.

Brown has only played 21 regular season games since 2004. He missed 14 games in 2004 (Achilles), four games in 2005 (calf – missed last four games of regular season and returned for playoffs) and 10 games in 2006 (foot).

Dvoracek was starting in the place vacated by former Bears DT Tank Johnson, who was released during the off-season after a series of off-the-field problems derailed his pro football career.

Sigh..........

The loss of Brown doesn't hurt that much because quite frankly it's expected. Danieal Manning should be the future FS for this franchise and he started 16 games last season. Trading for Archuleta could end up being the best move Angelo made this offseason, though trading for Darwin Walker looks pretty huge now too. Brown's career is likely over. He's been on the IR the last 4 years. At some point enough is enough, no matter how good you are.

Dvoracek, on the other hand, is extremely dissapointing to me. He had arguably the best training camp and was really looking to come on strong after missing all of last season on IR. I hate to see a young player's career get blown up before he even gets a chance.

We've got great depth at DL and DB so the loss isn't staggering but still....it's a blow to lose two starters for the season in one game.

Addict
09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Mike Brown is a sad story though, so talented but he's so friggin' injury prone it's not even funny.

oh wait, it kinda is.

VoteLynnSwan
09-10-2007, 02:34 PM
i just simply can't believe Mike Brown's luck...

Geo
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Disappointing, but injuries are a part of the game.

Hurricane Ditka
09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I haven't seen confirmation of the Dusty tear anywhere yet, it really is too bad because he had so much promise, and now he's staring at his second season ending injury in two years. It is a serious blow to his career. Mike Brown is done, for good, hopefully with McGowan, Payne, Archuleta and Manning we'll be able to hold down the fort at safety. Both losses are more emotional than anything else.

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh btw that's from Schefter, so you know it's gospel.

LonghornsLegend
09-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Dvoracek, on the other hand, is extremely dissapointing to me. He had arguably the best training camp and was really looking to come on strong after missing all of last season on IR. I hate to see a young player's career get blown up before he even gets a chance.

thats what i was gonna comment on, he was a great talent at OU all those years, and frankly looked like a beast about to be let loose this yr, preseason, and the beginning of the game he was everywhere, i think he could of put up huge numbers this yr, thats sad, i was anxious to see what he could do for you guys....

and brown has horrible luck, worst then arrington...i mean really the first game? thats crazy

Scar
09-10-2007, 02:50 PM
San Diego only took over that game after Mike Brown went down, just like things fell apart last season after he went down (albeit with Tommie Harris down then too). Anyone who says he isn't a big loss is fooling themselves, regardless of Brown's inability to stay healthy. He's a bona fide playmaker when he's out there, and their defense is not the same without him. Not even close. For the Bear's sake, hopefully Danieal Manning improves drastically by the end of the season.

skinzzfan25
09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Lol, I really hope Arch is playing when you guys come to town...

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
San Diego took over the game when their shank punt hit our coverage guy and they got the ball with about 30 yards to go.

Don't get me wrong, Brown is a very talented player when healthy, but his loss last year was very overrated for a few reasons.

1)The defense didn't really start to fall off untill Tommie went down (as you said).
2)We played better offenses in the 2nd half of the season
3)Brown is a much bigger asset against the run than the pass. D.Manning was our starter last year while Mike Brown was healthy. It was Todd Johnson and Chris Harris that took over for Brown (both of whom are gone). Essentially we're just swapping Brown for Archuleta, and while Archuleta is more of a liability in coverage, he can play the run as well as almost any safety in the league.
4)Brown gets hurt every year, our defense should be used to it by now and if they aren't, we don't deserve to be considered amongst the best.

Anyway....like I said, Manning started 16 games last year and has lots of talent. He's also likely a better compliment to Archuleta in that he's a true FS, whereas before we were basically playing with two SS. I had assumed that when we traded for Arch back in March we were going to flat out cut Brown. Archuleta has made the Pro-Bowl at SS under Lovie Smith, I'm not worried about him. If D.Manning can learn his positioning better this year he'll be fine, he wasn't that bad last year to begin with.

I really feel bad for Mike, but it's time to move on. I said that last year and was a little suprised they've stuck with him so long.

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Lol, I really hope Arch is playing when you guys come to town...
Our coach isn't a washed up old man. Our GM actually knows stuff about football. We know how to fit players to schemes rather than just amass names to put on jerseys that sell really well but never win football games.

Next.

PalmerToCJ
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
I was wondering what impact Brown would have this year but then too I also was wondering how long it'd be until he gets hurt again. Granted I didn't watch the second half but I didn't know that either got hurt.

LionSmack
09-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow so who in the heck is the Bears' other DT now

edit: oh yeah I forgot about Walker

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow so who in the heck is the Bears' other DT now

Darwin Walker. Anthony Adams will fill in at NT in more traditional run situations and Israel Idonije can play the UT situationally. As has Alex Brown.

Scar
09-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Agreed, Arch will be fine. Hopefully he can giving Manning some pointers on actually making a tackle too. They'll be a very solid duo if that happens.

SFbear
09-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Superbowl loser's curse...=(

We'll still have an effective D in my opinion, but it won't be anywhere as close to as dominating as it was in the first three quarters of the Chargers game before Brown went down.

Brown was a beast that game too. Sigh...

Hurricane Ditka
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM
The DT rotation will be fine. Garay will be brought from the PS, and probably take Adams inactive spot. Walker will start, and Adams will rotate as well as Idonije. McGowan got a lot of PT before Brown went down yesterday so that'll probably continue.

skinzzfan25
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Our coach isn't a washed up old man. Our GM actually knows stuff about football. We know how to fit players to schemes rather than just amass names to put on jerseys that sell really well but never win football games.

Next.

Don't worry, Arch is a really good punt protector, I swear, you'll find out soon. And since when does Angelo know stuff about football? Let's trade away our best offensive weapon and let our below average QB make some plays.

When Arch is in, the deep ball is open all day.

Hurricane Ditka
09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Don't worry, Arch is a really good punt protector, I swear, you'll find out soon. And since when does Angelo know stuff about football? Let's trade away our best offensive weapon and let our below average QB make some plays.

When Arch is in, the deep ball is open all day.
Yeah like all of yesterday...wait...

Angelo put together one the most dominant defenses in league almost entirely through the draft.

nobodyinparticular
09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Sigh..........

The loss of Brown doesn't hurt that much because quite frankly it's expected. Danieal Manning should be the future FS for this franchise and he started 16 games last season. Trading for Archuleta could end up being the best move Angelo made this offseason, though trading for Darwin Walker looks pretty huge now too. Brown's career is likely over. He's been on the IR the last 4 years. At some point enough is enough, no matter how good you are.

We've got great depth at DL and DB so the loss isn't staggering but still....it's a blow to lose two starters for the season in one game.

That truly sucks. I was a fan of Dusty when he was coming out and I thought he landed in a good spot when he came to Chicago.

I also have been a huge fan of Mike Brown for years so it is terrible that he is dealing with all these injuries which in all likelihood will end his career.

Addict
09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Superbowl loser's curse...=(

We'll still have an effective D in my opinion, but it won't be anywhere as close to as dominating as it was in the first three quarters of the Chargers game before Brown went down.

Brown was a beast that game too. Sigh...

more like the Mike Brown's toughness curse, he's never finished a season.

bearfan
09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah like all of yesterday...wait...

Angelo put together one the most dominant defenses in league almost entirely through the draft.

And the thing about trading Jones was that Jones wanted a new contract, one that we were in no way shape or form going to give him. I think what Angelo did there was genuis, take a guy who isnt going to be around, and draft one that will be for years (which ended up being 3 w/ trade to SD).

Yung Flippa
09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Mike Brown just can't escape the Injury bug.

k0ng
09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
It's official...torn ACLs for each of them. Out for the season.The Bears Defense the first 3 quarters of the game with both of those guys on the field was some of the best I have ever seen. I'm so bummed. :(

Twiddler
09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Truly bad luck for the Bears. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out for them. It'll most likely still be good, but this could still affect it.

Nitschke-Hawk
09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Anybody see the D-Coordinator Bob Babich on the sideline? That guy gets so excited I thought he was gonna explode.

Opposing offenses: play action as much as you can.

If Archuleta is in the box he sure as hell isn't trying to cover, and if he isn't in the box there's a good chance he'll get beat compared to most players.

I've also said it for a couple seasons now, if you got a tough straight forward running game and big receivers you will give the Bears defense enough trouble for a chance to win the game.

As good as they are defensively they're mostly a finesse defense. You must play their defense tough.

Throw exotic blitzes at Grossman and slow down the play action.

That's how you get a chance at beating the Bears.

BrownsTown
09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Somewhere, fischbowl is crying. (For those who don't know, he's a massive Dvoracek fan)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Hopefully they don't miss too much of a beat(except when they play Denver) cuz they shut LT down. Not just contained, which was what I thought was the best case scenario, but SHUT DOWN. He got the 1 TD, but 1.4 ypc is amazing to hold the MVP to.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm still waiting for the first big Vikings injury.

awfullyquiet
09-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Hopefully they don't miss too much of a beat(except when they play Denver) cuz they shut LT down. Not just contained, which was what I thought was the best case scenario, but SHUT DOWN. He got the 1 TD, but 1.4 ypc is amazing to hold the MVP to.

Agreed.
I don't think I've seen anyone do that before. Especially on week one where they don't even have like fatigue like they would on week seven...

bearsfan_51
09-10-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm still waiting for the first big Vikings injury.

Not to jinx it but I'll be suprised if AD makes it through a full season unscathed.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Not to jinx it but I'll be suprised if AD makes it through a full season unscathed.

Which is why I hope Chester Taylor comes back as soon as possible. If AD is playing the whole game, his risk of getting injured is of course going to go up. But I'm not going to sit and worry after every run by him. Whatever happens happens.