PDA

View Full Version : Chris Long question

Big_Pete
09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Chris Long is very highly rated right now, but I think by the time the draft comes around, he will be over shadowed by guys like Quentin Groves, Calais Campbell, Vernon, Gholston and Derrick Harvey.

Long just doesn't have the high sack numbers that nfl teams want

how does Chris Long compare as a 3-4 DE? With his size and work ethic, he seems like a good option

SuperKevin
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Chris Long is very highly rated right now, but I think by the time the draft comes around, he will be over shadowed by guys like Quentin Groves, Calais Campbell, Vernon, Gholston and Derrick Harvey.

how does Chris Long compare as a 3-4 DE? With his size and work ethic, he seems like a good option

You realize he doesn't have huge sack numbers because he's already playing 3-4 DE right?

neko4
09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
You realize he doesn't have huge sack numbers because he's already playing 3-4 DE right?
yeah, i think he's this years carriker

energizerbunny
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
comparing him to those other DEs is like comparing apples to oranges.... totally different types of players. All of the guys you mentioned with maybe the exception being Campbell will be playing Rightend/OLB. Long is going to be a unreal strongisde DE and/or 3-4 DE. With some of the skills he has already shown on tape all he really needs is a strong senior year together is a solid combine to solidify himself as the top SDE.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Long is the best run stopping DE in the draft, and has a pass rusher he overpowers defenders, has great technique, and an endless motor, also he finishes every single play. Even if 8 of his teammates are bringing a guy down he will run across the field and launch his body into the pile to get a last hit in.

D-Unit
09-12-2007, 03:38 PM
He may play in the 3-4 DE now, but can he do it in the NFL? That's what I wanna know. He seems extremely light for the position in NFL standards. What's his true weight? It's all over the place where ever you look

draftguru151
09-12-2007, 03:48 PM
He's listed as 280 (I think I've only seen one other number, can't remember where though) and with the way he plays that's definitely enough to be a 3-4 DE. He can play in a 4-3 though, he has the quickness to rush the passer from the edge.

Mr. Stiller
09-12-2007, 04:11 PM
He's listed as 280 (I think I've only seen one other number, can't remember where though) and with the way he plays that's definitely enough to be a 3-4 DE. He can play in a 4-3 though, he has the quickness to rush the passer from the edge.

Brett Keisel: 285
Trevor Pryce: 286

Canadian_draft_fan
09-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Long is the best run stopping DE in the draft, and has a pass rusher he overpowers defenders, has great technique, and an endless motor, also he finishes every single play. Even if 8 of his teammates are bringing a guy down he will run across the field and launch his body into the pile to get a last hit in.

God, do I hope the Redskins draft him next April. He would be a perfect bookend to Carter.

Freddy G
09-12-2007, 05:37 PM
He is gonna look awful at the combine and the Browns will swoop in and take him at the top of round 2. :) Soon thereafter he will be considered a top 3, 3-4 DE!!!

toonsterwu
09-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Huge UVA fan ... as older posters now, but to a certain extent, I agree that Chris Long is a bit overrated right now. I'd have him loosely pegged as a first rounder, but probably in that third tier ... but that's assuming the underclassmen come out.

I don't love the 3-4 DE fit for the pros ... but he could definitely do it. A bit more weight (it fluctuates in the 260's and maybe low 270's last I checked) and the ability to hold that weight might change my mind. I see him best fit as a 4-3 strongside end.

energizerbunny
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
he has some of the best hands and instincts i've seen, even without a stellar combine he will probally still be overdrafted because of his pedigree.

marks01234
09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Huge UVA fan ... as older posters now, but to a certain extent, I agree that Chris Long is a bit overrated right now. I'd have him loosely pegged as a first rounder, but probably in that third tier ... but that's assuming the underclassmen come out.

I don't love the 3-4 DE fit for the pros ... but he could definitely do it. A bit more weight (it fluctuates in the 260's and maybe low 270's last I checked) and the ability to hold that weight might change my mind. I see him best fit as a 4-3 strongside end.

interesting toon. Didn't know his playing weight was that low.

BroadwayJoe10
09-17-2007, 09:46 PM
if that is true, and he does play around 270ish is there any possibility of him converting to a 3-4 olb? or is he not athletic and fast enough to play olb? Becuase, 6'4 270ish reminds me of an adalius thomas type build, however i have never seen him play so i have no idea what he is best suited for. I ask, becuase besides OG i beleive the jets desperately need someone to put constant pressure on the QB ala shawne merriman.

ammandss
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
As for sack numbers he had 7 in his first three years (really 2 years since he had mono as a freshman and dropped his weight to 240-250). He really overruns a lot of plays. He seems so reckless and uncontrolled when he busts through offensive lines. It makes him disruptive and he gets a lot of quarterback hurries but he does need to finish his plays.

So far this season he already has 5 sacks in 3 games though. I only watched the Wyoming game on TV and listened to the others on the radio but he still plays with that reckless abandon, but seems more controlled going at the QB.

... and like everyone else, he is a 3-4 DE... getting sacks isn't his primary focus.

Wyoming 7 tkl, 2 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 hurries
Duke 8 tkl, 2.5TFL, 2 sacks, 1 BrUp, 0 hurries
UNC 4 tkl, 1TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT, 0 hurries

draftguru151
09-20-2007, 01:35 PM
When it's a passing situation and he actually gets in a stance to fire off instead of one to control the line he gets a lot or pressure. He pretty much dominated NC when he did that, even on double teams.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
He is a wayy underrated pass rusher, he has enough speed off the edge, will bull rush you, and has the best hands and technique of any college DE. Doesn't hurt that he's a fiend against the run and has an endless motor, and he should get 10+ sacks this year for you stat whores.

Green Bay Scat
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
He is a wayy underrated pass rusher, he has enough speed off the edge, will bull rush you, and has the best hands and technique of any college DE. Doesn't hurt that he's a fiend against the run and has an endless motor, and he should get 10+ sacks this year for you stat whores.

i wish they had a Pancakes/Sack stat for OLineman, then id be a stat *****

Addict
09-20-2007, 03:26 PM
the more I read about long, the more I like this guy.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 02:17 PM
the more I read about long, the more I like this guy.

There's really nothing to not like about Chris Long. I'll be very surprised if he's not a solid NFL DE. I'm just not sold he's a top of the first round type end. I could see him developing into say, maybe a Philip Daniels type (productivity wise). Maybe a Darren Howard type.

marks - I'm fairly certian his playing weight is in that mid-260-270 range. Maybe, maybe at best mid-270's.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2007, 03:01 PM
And for people that don't say he gets numbers, he is 2nd in the nation in sacks, endless motor as I said. Tech had to resort to holding him today on one play the hold was so bad his jersey was ripped down the center no joke.

Hines
09-22-2007, 03:12 PM
i really like long...but hes not my favorite player on that defence..i really like clint sintim..i believe he will be better then the last two linebackers to come out

i like a lot of virgina linebackers including the in comin frosh j'courtney williams and i believe he will be a great player

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes they do have great players and all the LB's including Sintim are great but Long is the obvious best player on the defense. Fitzgerald will be a Trevor Pryce type DE in the future, Nate Lyles can be a round 5-7 guy next season, he is a punishing safety, with great physical attributes.

toonsterwu
09-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Well ... ya'll gave me an opening ... so I'll offer my updated thoughts on UVA players:

Offense:

QB - Both QB's are young, with a lot of time to develop. There's huge upside for both of them. Even at this early stage, Lalich's understanding of the passing game seems to be such that, sooner, rather than later, you expect him to do better than Sewell. It sucked wasting Lalich's redshirt year, but tis what it is. Too early to tell on both, but both have big upside and are worth watching.

RB - I always liked Cedric Peerman. I really did. Yes, I got excited about the Keith Payne talk ... and I still am. We'll have to see what he has. That said, Peerman, at least, his freshman year, showed good vision and toughness. This year, he's putting it together. He definitely needs to stick around for his senior year, but he's the type of back that I expect, assuming he's productive the rest of his collegiate career, to go day 2. Always tough to figure out RB situations these days, but his lack of top tier tools will probably drop him down a bit. I can see him being a Mewelde Moore/Alvin Pearman type in the NFL potentially. Payne is definitely worth watching in the pipeline. At FB, Jackson's young but could be a good one (however meaningful a good FB is these days).

WR - The cupboard's raw. The loss of Ogletree hurt. There's some tools there (Jobe looks particularly intriguing, and Mikell Simpson at WR may be a better fit for him). Just way, way too early to take a guess on any of these, other than saying that there definitely isn't an elite receiver in this group talent wise.

TE - One area UVA does well with in recent year. Tom Santi has been a solid collegiate player, and Jon Stupar offers a better blocker. Phillips will be the man next year, along with a freshman who's slipping my mind at the moment. Santi is probably better off being utilized as a H-back type, with Stupar as your more traditional TE. TE is also another tough position to take early guesses on. I think both get drafted, but likely mid-late day 2, unless one of them runs better than expected. Phillips also has some pro possibilities.

OL - The strength of UVA's offense this year. Eugene Monroe has all the tools to be a top tackle, but he should stick around for his senior year. Branden Albert is a tough nasty OG and may be what Elton Brown failed to become. If Monroe develops, he could be a day 1 OT. As of now, he's probably not. Albert could be a day 1 OG IMO, but as of now, he's probably borderline. I think both are best sticking around another year. Will Barker reminds me of Brad Butler ... but he might be able to handle a bit more weight, which bodes well. Anyhow, he's only a sophomore. The only other guys to mention for now would be Jordy Lipsey and Ian-Yates Cunningham. Lipsey's actually a solid C ... but he's undersized. He might get a UDFA look. IYC's injury history likely means no ... but I guess you can't discount a UDFA look.

DL - Finally, I can get excited about UVA DL talent. Chris Long will go day 1, and likely go round 1. But, I agree with Ghettosermon, Jeffrey Fitzgerald is the one to watch. Hard to gauge now, as having Long certainly helps, but Fitzgerald is arguably a better athlete and likely able to handle more weight than long. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen Billyk get a look from an Al Groh friend late in the draft, although UDFA is more likely. There's some intriguing young talent in the pipeline as well. Nate Collins developed nicely last year and I've heard some think that can handle a bit more weight.

LB - The current group might not have the razzle dazzle, name-wise, of the Brooks/Parham/Blackstock group, but they are solid and productive. Jermaine Dias is probably a UDFA type, although I wouldn't rule out a late round look. But his injury history, lack of size relative to fit, makes it tough to figure out. He's got more speed than Blackstock did, so he could likely make a transition to a 4-3 better than DB did. Big fan of Clint Sintim and Antonio Appleby. Both are solid players, and I'll be surprised if they don't get looks in the NFL. Both should stick around for their senior campaigns. Neither one is rumored to have top level athleticism, so we're likely looking at day 2 linebackers, although I wouldn't rule out late day 1 depending on how things go.

DB - The secondary has more raw talent than it has had in recent years. I'm a big fan of Nate Lyles, but his injury history will be looked at. The bigger problem for him is a lack of range. He's an in-the-box safety whose cover skills really aren't that good. I think he might get a mid-late day 2 look. Chris Cook's probably better off as a pro safety, where he would rate better.

K/P - I think Gould may get a UDFA look somewhere.

keylime_5
09-22-2007, 06:02 PM
He has 5.5 sacks so far in 3 games this year. I think he very well might get near 10 sacks this season, and is a 3-4 DE who can play in any defensive system. I think he should be a top 15 pick no matter what, b/c his style of play is something every coach loves. Gholston, Harvey, and Groves are quite different than Long, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Long go before all 3 of those studs.

ammandss
09-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Joe Torchia is the TE that you are forgetting. And Long had 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 pass breakups, and 1 more sack to the list. I love Fitzgerald and Branden Albert. Eugene Monroe is awesome too. I like the corners a lot too - Chris Cook (depending on his timed speed), Vic Hall and Mike Brown who is injured this year.

toonsterwu
09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Joe Torchia is the TE that you are forgetting. And Long had 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 pass breakups, and 1 more sack to the list. I love Fitzgerald and Branden Albert. Eugene Monroe is awesome too. I like the corners a lot too - Chris Cook (depending on his timed speed), Vic Hall and Mike Brown who is injured this year.

Hall and Brown have the potential to be CB prospects down the line. I have a hard time seeing Cook. Very average timed speed, but more importantly, he doesn't seem, to me, to have the pro agility. That said, it's not out of the question ... in certain schemes, IMO.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.thesabre.com/edge/images/2005football/springgame_long002b.jpg

LOOK AT HIM HES GOT MUSCLES ON TOP OF MUSCLES!!!

The most amazing thing is hes been getting double and triple teamed since his Sophmore year simply on his name. Hes arguably the best 3-4 prospect since Seymour.

toonsterwu
09-23-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll still caution folks who think he's going to be a dominant 3-4 DE prospect akin to Richard Seymour. Chris' game is more about quickness, although the power is there. That said, there just aren't many 270 pound 3-4 DE's that survive long term as a starter. I know he's listed at 280 in many places, but I don't think anyone really buys that. He's a stout 270, while still maintaining his quickness, but I still think 4-3 strong or weak DE is more suitable for him than a 3-4 2-gap role.

thule
09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Don't forget about the 3-4 one gap scheme. With his agility he could be a terror in any one gap scheme.

toonsterwu
09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Don't forget about the 3-4 one gap scheme. With his agility he could be a terror in any one gap scheme.

True ... but how many teams run a true 3-4 one gap? and even in a 3-4 one gap ... you'd still be better off finding guys in the 280-290 range instead of a 270ish guy. Yes, weight is often overrated, but 20 pounds is still 20 pounds ...

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 10:54 PM

What teams all run the 3-4 1-gap?

thule
09-23-2007, 10:56 PM
True ... but how many teams run a true 3-4 one gap? and even in a 3-4 one gap ... you'd still be better off finding guys in the 280-290 range instead of a 270ish guy. Yes, weight is often overrated, but 20 pounds is still 20 pounds ...

The Dallas Cowboys are the only team that comes to mind. I'm pretty sure San Diego still runs a one gap as well.

Dallas is showing NT weight isn't a huge problem by starting Ratliff who is barely 290. They have been every bit as efficient up the middle with him as with furgy.

Another thing to keep in mind....SD and Dallas's one gap scheme is actually a 46 defense with a disguised 4th rusher.

I remember last week Wade said he never brought only 3...he would always have a 4th coming form somewhere. Looking at it like that if Long could penitrate enough to be disruptive there is no reason that his weight would cause concerns to a team running this style of defense.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 11:01 PM
The Dallas Cowboys are the only team that comes to mind. I'm pretty sure San Diego still runs a one gap as well.

Dallas is showing NT weight isn't a huge problem by starting Ratliff who is barely 290. They have been every bit as efficient up the middle with him as with furgy.

Another thing to keep in mind....SD and Dallas's one gap scheme is actually a 46 defense with a disguised 4th rusher.

I remember last week Wade said he never brought only 3...he would always have a 4th coming form somewhere. Looking at it like that if Long could penitrate enough to be disruptive there is no reason that his weight would cause concerns to a team running this style of defense.

I wonder what exact scheme Pittsburgh runs..

Then again, There's some plays where the only DL we have is Aaron Smith at Nt...

So.

thule
09-23-2007, 11:10 PM
I wonder what exact scheme Pittsburgh runs..

Then again, There's some plays where the only DL we have is Aaron Smith at Nt...

So.

I'm pretty sure it's a two gap scheme. But I wouldn't doubt you run some one gap responsibilities throughout a game. Any time your stunting or slanting your DL your limited to a one gap responsibility.

The problem with the smaller DL in the 3-4 using a one gap scheme is that you have to play your ILB's closer to the line of scrimmage to keep the line of scrimmage managable. If you watched the cowboys vs. bears game tonight you'll notice that when dallas was in their base defense the linebackers were 3-4 yards off the line of scrimmage and that majority of the time one of them was filling up after reading the center.

While this isn't a huge problem it does leave a hole open over the middle. Which is the main reason you saw our corners playing off and not giving up the middle. If you get a TE behind the inside backers it comes down to your safeties...we saw that a couple of times today. But Chicago failed to take advantage of that in the early downs opting to take the curls and running the ball. By the time passing situations came about Dallas was into their nickel/dime package with Carp and Burnett in as backers and that hole was minimized.

toonsterwu
09-23-2007, 11:13 PM
pittsburgh and LeBeau is primarily a 2 gap scheme.

I mean, every team mixes it up. But for the most part, Pittsburgh is more of a 2-gap orientation for the ends.

On a side note, I've never been a huge believer that 3-4 NT weight was superbly important. I think it helps, but ability to leverage is more critical. That said, I do believe 3-4 DE weight is more important than 3-4 NT, as the movement required of the role often limits the ability to purely leverage, a la the NT role.

One final side note is that, while I do for the most part think, iin the 3-4, that long is better as a DE, there are times that I wonder if he slimmed down a bit, to the 260 range, and maximized his quickness, if he might be better as a 3-4 OLB.

Mr. Stiller
09-23-2007, 11:15 PM
pittsburgh and LeBeau is primarily a 2 gap scheme.

I mean, every team mixes it up. But for the most part, Pittsburgh is more of a 2-gap orientation for the ends.

On a side note, I've never been a huge believer that 3-4 NT weight was superbly important. I think it helps, but ability to leverage is more critical. That said, I do believe 3-4 DE weight is more important than 3-4 NT, as the movement required of the role often limits the ability to purely leverage, a la the NT role.

One final side note is that, while I do for the most part think, iin the 3-4, that long is better as a DE, there are times that I wonder if he slimmed down a bit, to the 260 range, and maximized his quickness, if he might be better as a 3-4 OLB.

I was thinking about Long as a 3-4 OLB as well. He supposedly ripped a 4.72 40' this spring at 6'4 275.

thule
09-23-2007, 11:21 PM
I just don't get where your coming from toonster.

In a one gap scheme your essentially place yourself inbetween two players and either shoot the gap or stunt/slant. Why would you be required to be a bigger body. If your shooting a gap the odds of you being pushed back aren't very high....although pushed out of the way is quite a bit higher.

But one thing I've learned about the one-gap scheme which I have been studying all offseason is that it doesn't matter. Obviously you don't play a 250 pound lineman on the line because your a target to run at. But if the 270 DE can hold his ground and have good feet/leverage there is not reason to think that they wouldn't be able to fit the void.

I look at it like this.
Player A is 290lb
Player B is 270lbs

Both players in a one-gap scheme will primarily play the 3 tech.
Whether player A or B is shooting the gap or stunting shouldn't matter. Because the only way they are taken out of the play is if they
A) get double teamed...which essentially opens up the hole for the lb to fill.
B) gets penitration and messes up play timing
C) gets pushed to a side something that shouldn't have anything to do with weight...because both of us know that in a 3 tech your going to have to get inbetween the guard and tackle or else your gonna be forced that way.

thule
09-23-2007, 11:25 PM
I was thinking about Long as a 3-4 OLB as well. He supposedly ripped a 4.72 40' this spring at 6'4 275.

Could Long play standing up...I think he cold. Would you be using him to his strengths...I think not. Long basically with that size would be a lock to play the sam if that is what the team felt necessary. Now your lining him up using the 6 technique which would nuetralize some of his quickness because he is going against more athletic guys aka OT/TE. He is almost forced to take a outside rush...because if the TE chips he is now swallowed by the OT who should be able to get a solid punch with Long already getting chipped and more than likely off balance.

I just don't see Long on his feet it takes him away from what he does best.

toonsterwu
09-23-2007, 11:48 PM
I disagree. I think girth plays a role in shooting of a 3-4 end position, relative to that, you give the OT a much better chance to neutralize you in passing situations (obviously, a 270 pounder in running situations isn't ideal in any 3-4). You could be the most technically sound player, but if you are shooting at 270 pounds, your ability to hold positioning is lessened, particularly at a slight angle, and the OT thus doesn't HAVE to redirect you ... which ends up giving the pocket a lot more air.

Obviously, there's a whole lot of other stuff that can be said. How body weight is distributed is key. Length of arms is also another useful factor. There's a whole litany of other considerations. But in large part, the short of it is that, as much as weight gets overvalued in the scouting process at times, I still believe that a 3-4 DE, even within a one-gap, can't be 270 pounds (well, let me be clear, a backup sure, but a first rounder a guy you expect an everydown player, no).

And yes, like with everything, I'll also acknowledge that there are exceptions to the rule. I just don't see Chris Long as a dominant 3-4 DE, even out of a one gap look. But that's me ... and I'm sure there's flaws in my thinking as well (on Long and on 3-4 DE roles within the 1-gap structure, particularly since the examples of the latter usually finds teams with 280-290 pound guys, if not 300 (Olshansky and Castillo for the Chargers, and the Cowboys guys).

As for Long as a 3-4 OLB (and as noted, I sitll think he's a better 3-4 DE than a 3-4 OLB), but you'd likely ask him to slim down to the 260's (and some believe his playing weight is in the 265 range anyways). On a side note, he is a guy that some have felt was limited by the extra weight, because coming in, few expected his body to be in the 270 range. But the one thing about him as a 3-4 OLB is that, even if the TE chips, his handwork is so good that, combined with his upper body strength, he has a good chance of using his quickness to get in on the OT.

thule
09-24-2007, 02:03 AM
I disagree. I think girth plays a role in shooting of a 3-4 end position, relative to that, you give the OT a much better chance to neutralize you in passing situations (obviously, a 270 pounder in running situations isn't ideal in any 3-4). You could be the most technically sound player, but if you are shooting at 270 pounds, your ability to hold positioning is lessened, particularly at a slight angle, and the OT thus doesn't HAVE to redirect you ... which ends up giving the pocket a lot more air.

Obviously, there's a whole lot of other stuff that can be said. How body weight is distributed is key. Length of arms is also another useful factor. There's a whole litany of other considerations. But in large part, the short of it is that, as much as weight gets overvalued in the scouting process at times, I still believe that a 3-4 DE, even within a one-gap, can't be 270 pounds (well, let me be clear, a backup sure, but a first rounder a guy you expect an everydown player, no).

And yes, like with everything, I'll also acknowledge that there are exceptions to the rule. I just don't see Chris Long as a dominant 3-4 DE, even out of a one gap look. But that's me ... and I'm sure there's flaws in my thinking as well (on Long and on 3-4 DE roles within the 1-gap structure, particularly since the examples of the latter usually finds teams with 280-290 pound guys, if not 300 (Olshansky and Castillo for the Chargers, and the Cowboys guys).

As for Long as a 3-4 OLB (and as noted, I sitll think he's a better 3-4 DE than a 3-4 OLB), but you'd likely ask him to slim down to the 260's (and some believe his playing weight is in the 265 range anyways). On a side note, he is a guy that some have felt was limited by the extra weight, because coming in, few expected his body to be in the 270 range. But the one thing about him as a 3-4 OLB is that, even if the TE chips, his handwork is so good that, combined with his upper body strength, he has a good chance of using his quickness to get in on the OT.

Well I understand your arguement I'm just going to agree to disagree on long as a prospect.

Obviously girth plays a role...but there has never been a player with longs skills and gerth together so that is somewhat of a moot point. The bigger you are the harder you are to move from a relative standpoint so I get what your saying.

But what does gerth have to do with being neutralized. Last I checked Dwight Freeney does just fine working against OT's and he doesn't have that type of gerth.

You say 270 isn't ideal in running situations. But it's not like Long would be asked to standup and drive the OT...he may be asked to slant/stunt shoot the gap. These are all things he would be better at than a bigger guy. Granted with more gerth he could add that aspect but he would undoubtedly lose some of his best stuff.

This quote really got me
You could be the most technically sound player, but if you are shooting at 270 pounds, your ability to hold positioning is lessened, particularly at a slight angle, and the OT thus doesn't HAVE to redirect you ... which ends up giving the pocket a lot more air.

Why would you shoot a gap and then also have the reposibility of holding the position. If you shoot it...your not trying to stand up your guy...your trying to blow by him...spin on him...swim him...your not holding gap contain. And if you are playing the 3 tech like every one-gap 3-4 team should do...you would actually give the inside angle to the OT which would force you inside towards the guard. Now if you get picked up by the guard than you have a backer to your outside getting one on one coverage with a TE or Back. If the Tackle leaves you now your battling a OG. If you have a bigger guard you might beable to get upfield and disrupt a play before it even begins. But if you don't you are still on the inside of the pocket...thus collapsing it...not giving the pocket more air...if anything your giving up some outside contains...but then again using the 3 tech thats not your responsibility.

Just one last thing I would like to add. I know the Cowboys run nickel/dime formations close to 40-50% of the time on defense. (Which is why we get value out of players like Carp and Burnett who don't see time in the base defense.) Anyways the Chargers also go to a 4 man downline from time to time..I wouldn't say as much as the cowboys...but in obvious passing situations you'll see one of the backers with his hand on the ground. This is even a better opportunity to get Long rushing from the inside with your DE's on the outside. I know in Dallas Marcus Spears was suppose to be this guy but his lack of explosion out of his stance is depressing and he can't even make it onto the field in passing situations. But this is just an added bonus to a 3-4 team to have a guy versatile enough to play inside or outside on a 4 man line.

ammandss
09-24-2007, 08:24 AM
didn't realize that Chris Long would cause such a debate. I enjoy watching him play and that's all I'm going to say :)

Oaktown1981
09-25-2007, 01:59 AM
If he can play DE in a 4-3 I wouldn't mind the Raiders drafting him. It would be great to have Howie's son a Raider.