PDA

View Full Version : Craig Steltz

Big_Pete
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
How does Safety Craig Steltz (LSU) rate as a prospect?

He has decent size at 6'01", 210 lbs and decent speed with around a 4.55 40 time

He has been very productive:

2007:

2 games (2 starts), 5 solo tackles, 2 assists, 7 tt, 2.0 tfl for 11 yards, 1.0 sack for 8 yards, 4 int for 111 yards, 1 bu, 5 pd, 1 ff

2006 (as LaRon Landry's under study):

13 games (0 starts), 20 solo tackles, 22 assists, 42 tt, 2.0 tfl for 14 yards, 1.0 sack for 9 yards, 4 int for 111 yards, 5 bu, 3 qbh

Big_Pete
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on Steltz as a prospect?

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Honestly i haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. It seems that all these picks seem to be more of a right place at the right time thing more than anything else

Pittbc7
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
He is a ballhawk and very underrated. He probably runs in the 4.4s and is a good tackler as well. A first day safety prospect in my mind.

moc182
09-11-2007, 04:06 PM
He hasn't played enough to evaluate him that well, but in a very weak safety class I'd say he has day one potential.

etk
09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't really consider him a ballhawk. He doesn't have great range or closing burst and his straight-line speed is below-average too. He does a good job of staying in the right position in his scheme so he's always close to the ball in the air. Teams will continue trying to do go deep over his head in college because of his lack of top-flight athleticism but he does a good job of locating the ball. In the pros it will be more difficult to stay on top of receivers as they become more athletic and better at gaining leverage on routes and in the air. It also seems like teams are throwing away from Jackson & Zenon hence why he gets a lot of passes his way.

Big_Pete
09-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Steltz's tools remind me a little of Stewart Schweigert, is that a fair comparisson?

SuperKevin
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Steltz's tools remind me a little of Stewart Schweigert, is that a fair comparisson?

Hooray for the inevitable white guy to white guy comparison!!!!

Woody56
09-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Not really, Schweigert is a great athlete. Not all white guys play alike.

jbeans187
09-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Werent 3 of those ints against the same team? Forgot who but that qb was awful

SuperKevin
09-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Werent 3 of those ints against the same team? Forgot who but that qb was awful

Yeah 3 INTs against the SEC powerhouse Mississippi State

constant cough
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah 3 INTs against the SEC powerhouse Mississippi State

Well they did beat Auburn.

JUNIOR SEASON (2006)
Provided valuable experience in the Tigersí secondary ... Was a starter in sub-packages ... Recorded four picks in 2006 ... Was the first athlete in LSU history to intercept a pass in four straight games, picking off passes against Arizona, Auburn, Tulane and Mississippi State in successive weeks ... Returned his interceptions for 111 yards, a total that included a career-long 76-yard return against Tulane in week four ... Finished the year with 42 tackles (20 solo, 22 assisted), two TFL, a sack, five PBU and three quarterback hurries ... Turned in his most impressive performance as a Tiger against Fresno State, recording a career-high 11 tackles, his first career sack and two PBU ... Led the team with nine tackles against Alabama ... Started at strong safety in wins over Alabama and Notre Dame in the Allstate Sugar Bowl ... Had three tackles and broke up a pass in the Tigersí 41-14 win over the Irish.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2005)
Started in LSUís nickel and dime packages on defense ... Played in 13 games with three starts ... Started in place of an injured Jessie Daniels against Georgia in the SEC Championship game ... Other starts came against Vanderbilt and Appalachian State ... Led the Tigers with eight tackles, including six solo, against Georgia in the SEC title game ... Finished the season with 40 tackles and one interception ... Returned an interception 22 yards against North Texas ... Had three quarterback hurries and two pass breakups for the year ... In the season opener, returned a blocked punt 29 yards for a fourth quarter touchdown that helped the Tigers overcome a 17-7 deficit to beat Arizona State ... Older brother Kevin served as LSUís starting fullback.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174877&Q_SEASON=2006

jared
09-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I didn't realize that Steltz was very highly regarded as a prospect coming out of high school: http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=17898&sport=1
Generally the 11th ranked safety in the nation and the 7th best player in Louisiana doesn't lack athleticism. He ran a 4.5 at around 200 lbs coming out of high school so I don't see any reason why he won't be able to go below that for the combine.