PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Frye traded to Seattle.

Jughead10
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7214446

And thus the Quinn era of dominance begins!

CC.SD
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
This is where Kenny Dorsey begins his HOF career.

Geo
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
The fact that Phil Savage was able to trade Charlie Frye to a team in the NFL only enforces him being one of the better GMs in football.

TheMadLionsFan
09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Dallas is going to get a top 5 overall pick.....

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Awesome cant wait to see Quinn

princefielder28
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
brady quinn time!!!!

Jughead10
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
The funniest part is that Dorsey was brought in to mentor Quinn. There wasn't anyone else out there better to mentor Quinn?

SuperMcGee
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
More importantly, this means more Seneca Wallace at wideout.

Geo
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't put Quinn in there until the Browns' offensive line plays anywhere near a cohesive unit.

(Is it true Joe Thomas gave up 3 sacks against Pittsburgh?)

princefielder28
The funniest part is that Dorsey was brought in to mentor Quinn. There wasn't anyone else out there better to mentor Quinn?

Tim Couch could show Quinn how it is to lead the Browns as a rookie (tell him what not to do).

Jughead10
The fact that Phil Savage was able to trade Charlie Frye to a team in the NFL only enforces him being one of the better GMs in football.

Got a sixth round pick for him.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Got a sixth round pick for him.

Thats a steal for the Browns

Scar
09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Knock him if you will, but I get the feeling that Charlie Frye will look pretty decent if he ever gets the opportunity to take some snaps in Seattle...his career thus far has suffered from this little thing known as "Stuck playing for Cleveland."

Geo
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Amazing.

And I wouldn't put it past Holmgren to possible make something out of Frye. Holmgren is, legit, one of the best offensive minds/coaches of his era. He resurrected a piss-poor Packers franchise into world champions again, making Brett Favre into an elite quarterback. Favre, before and after, has never been what he was with Holmgren, for good reason.

He resurrected a piss-poor Seahawks franchise into annual playoff contenders, actually making Matt Hasselbeck into a quarterback who almost won a Super Bowl (truly one of this decade's greatest coaching feats). If anyone can do it, Mike Holmgren can.

thebow305
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
brady quinn time!!!!

HAHA, that's what you think! It's DEREK ANDERSON TIME!!

bigbluedefense
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
i can happily say that im the first person in here to say...

ZOMG!!111111

thebow305
09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
So how long do you guys think before Wallace becomes a full-time wideout?

Scar
09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
HAHA, that's what you think! It's DEREK ANDERSON TIME!!

True, true...Brady Quinn time doesn't begin until week 3.

Freddy G
09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, even though i really don't like the seahawks, i do like Chuck and this is the best situation for him. Everyone knows he has decent talent, he just needs a lot of tutulage and the right scheme. He was made for the WC and Holmgren should be able to at least make him into a quality back up.

Anyway, a 6th is better than nothing....its better than Tim Carter which is what we got for Droughns.

The Legend
09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
i thought they would get a 5th rounder

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
This is the greatest day in Charlie Frye's life.

It's also the saddest day in the life of everyone living in Willard, Ohio, as they will no longer get to watch the only worthwhile to thing to come out of there (besides yours truly of course) every Sunday. What a blessing in disguise for him to get to work with Mike Holmgren. Charlie has never (going back to high school) been able to work with anyone even remotely constituting a genius. J.D Brookhart's a fine coach for Akron, and our high school coach was a real great guy, but come on...the kid needs a freakin' bone.

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Charlie Frye will do well with Seattle. He'll be surrounded with superior talent at every position there.

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
It also looks like Seattle traded Bryce Fisher to Tennessee to make a roster spot and recoup a pick.

Mr. Stiller
09-11-2007, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't put Quinn in there until the Browns' offensive line plays anywhere near a cohesive unit.

Yep.

Harrison, Farrior and Clark all got one off of him.

PoopSandwich
09-11-2007, 01:36 PM
This is where Kenny Dorsey begins his HOF career.

Dorsey is god.

Scotty D
09-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Dorsey is god.

Of the career back ups.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Derek Anderson=Tom Brady.

fischbowl
09-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Where did David Greene end up?

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 01:45 PM

Greeter at the Peachtree City Walmart in Peachtree City, GA

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.punksunidos.com.ar/punksunidas/mcdonalds/mcdonalds.jpg

eaglesalltheway
09-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Derek Anderson=Tom Brady.

I think you mean Derek Anderson>Tom Brady

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I think you mean Derek Anderson>Tom Brady

I think what use both mean is Ken Dorsey>Derek Anderson>Tom Brady

steelernation77
09-11-2007, 02:21 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7214446

And thus the Quinn era of dominance begins!

If Hasselbeck goes down at some point in the season, Frye might get the pleasure of getting destroyed by the Pittsburgh D again.

LonghornsLegend
09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
The Seneca Wallace at WR era begins finally

yodabear
09-11-2007, 03:09 PM
****, this means we have to rough two Seattle QBs now, Frye is a star.

BrownsTown
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM

If he does become a star, Holmgren will have to make him one. He gives up on plays way to early sometimes, and the others he'll hold the ball for way too long with the blitz coming in. The Browns line didn't play that bad and yet Frye was sacked 5 times. Most of those he was staring at the blitzer and still didn't throw the ball.

thetedginnshow
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
This opens up the playbook so much for Seattle, and definitely gives them flexibility with returning kicks. Great acquisition. Maybe he doesn't have the best track record, but he's got starter experience and he's young. Solid signing.

keylime_5
09-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Brownstown had it on the nose, the Browns' offensive line actually didn't play that bad against the Steelers. A lot of times they had good pass pro but nobody was open, or Frye would roll out of the pocket/not step up in the pocket and get sacked. I think the Harrison sack was the only one where Thomas got beat but I could be mistaken. The first sack was Shaffer's fault I think, but Frye didn't step up in the pocket. I swear, Charlie had the worst pocket prescence of any starting NFL QB I've ever seen.

Derek Anderson for a few games before the hand is forced and Quinn goes in and wins 7 games in a row like Vince Young (or not).

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I swear, Charlie had the worst pocket prescence of any starting NFL QB I've ever seen.
You would too after getting your brains smashed in for two years straight.

SFbear
09-11-2007, 04:46 PM
You would too after getting your brains smashed in for two years straight.

Have you had a chance to talk to him at all since the trade?

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Nawh...I sent his sister a text and she said the family is pretty bummed about it since they won't get to go to all of his games anymore. I used to talk to Charlie on occasion but with him being important and all he's pretty hard to get in contact with during the season.

He just bought a huge house in Berea too. I'm guessing he'll probably stay there. He's only got two more years on his contract and I'm thinking he'll probably want to see if he sticks with Seattle more than this season before relocating.

I'm sure he's bummed though. He's always been a really big Browns fan. The fool. Maybe now he can be the next Dave Kreig instead of the next Bernie Kosar.

DChess
09-11-2007, 04:52 PM

he doesn't actually know him, why do you play this game with him, it only gets him off.

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
he doesn't actually know him, why do you play this game with him, it only gets him off.
Come on...if I was going to pretend to know an NFL player, don't you think I'd pick a good one?

Not to mention that anyone that's actually been to Willard would know that being from Willard is nothing to be proud of at all. Check out the wikipedia page, it's basically Charlie and some trains back in 1890.

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
This is what you do to the guy that Crenell says is "his guy" and the browns fans all thought he was the franchise qb. Moves like this are why the browns do and always will suck.

09-11-2007, 04:56 PM
i would play derek anderson til week 6 when the browns play the dolphins where not only brady quinn has a chance for revenge on a team that passed on him in the draft but this comes after the week 4 and 5 games against the ravens and patriots

DChess
09-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Come on...if I was going to pretend to know an NFL player, don't you think I'd pick a good one?

WHAT!?!? you bite your tounge when talking about lord frye

Sveen
09-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Free agent QB David Greene, who worked out for Dallas last Friday, has also scheduled visits with Tennessee and New England.

Source: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3210

Green Bay Scat
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
am i the only person who like frye?

CC.SD
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Somebody get the sharp objects out of Yodachu's house!

JoeMontainya
09-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Lets put it this way, on one play Joe THomas had the perfect block, the pocket didnt even get collapsed, but Charlie pannicked and ran right to the left side of THomas and got tripped by him, all the deffender had to do was touch him and he got rewarded a sack. It was horrible.

Frye got sacked 4-5 times in the first quarter and a half, when Anderson came in, the OL gave up 1 sack the rest of the game.

Anderson has solid pocket presence and Frye is a -1 out of 10.

There was really only 2 sacks all day that could even be considered the OL fault.

Charlie had 3 sacks where he had at least 4 seconds to throw the ball to a WR or at least get rid of it and chose not to.

JoeMontainya
09-11-2007, 05:49 PM
This is the greatest day in Charlie Frye's life.

It's also the saddest day in the life of everyone living in Willard, Ohio, as they will no longer get to watch the only worthwhile to thing to come out of there (besides yours truly of course) every Sunday. What a blessing in disguise for him to get to work with Mike Holmgren. Charlie has never (going back to high school) been able to work with anyone even remotely constituting a genius. J.D Brookhart's a fine coach for Akron, and our high school coach was a real great guy, but come on...the kid needs a freakin' bone.

Are you from WIlliard? Im from Bucyrus and played on the 19997 team that faced Chad Kuhn from Bellevue to get knocked out of the playoffs. He ended up going to Wisconsin and was the lead blocker for ROn Dayne when he won the Heisman.

Tubby
09-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Charlie Frye for a sixth rounder? He was originally a third rounder. Great move by us.

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Are you from WIlliard? Im from Bucyrus and played on the 19997 team that faced Chad Kuhn from Bellevue to get knocked out of the playoffs. He ended up going to Wisconsin and was the lead blocker for ROn Dayne when he won the Heisman.

Yeah I am. I played from '98-'00 (Varsity anyway) so I was there with Charlie and got to play a fair amount of college talent. We played that Schittniker kid from Perkins that played fullback for Ohio State, Tim Anderson from Clyde who went to Ohio State and is now a DT with the Bills, St. Henry when Todd Boeckman was a freshman (destroyed us), and we scrimmaged Orriville when Justin Zwick was there and Findlay when Big Ben was there. I almost forgot Bucyrus used to be pretty good at football not too long ago. I remember my Senior year we were beating them 49-0 by halftime, which is probably why they left the NOL.

Oh and **** Bellevue.

TheMadLionsFan
09-11-2007, 06:31 PM
http://www.punksunidos.com.ar/punksunidas/mcdonalds/mcdonalds.jpg

LMAOUIASDGJGKFDG!!!!!

yodabear
09-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Somebody get the sharp objects out of Yodachu's house!

I live on the 7th floor, no one is gonna get me!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeMontainya
09-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah I am. I played from '98-'00 (Varsity anyway) so I was there with Charlie and got to play a fair amount of college talent. We played that Schittniker kid from Perkins that played fullback for Ohio State, Tim Anderson from Clyde who went to Ohio State and is now a DT with the Bills, St. Henry when Todd Boeckman was a freshman (destroyed us), and we scrimmaged Orriville when Justin Zwick was there and Findlay when Big Ben was there. I almost forgot Bucyrus used to be pretty good at football not too long ago. I remember my Senior year we were beating them 49-0 by halftime, which is probably why they left the NOL.

Oh and **** Bellevue.

Ya F*** Bellvue and Ed Nasonie (sp?). There fans cheered when our LB had no movement in his body for almost 30 minutes. Really classless.

We went into the NCC after the NOL and still did horrible for about 4 years, now were 3-0 with a great team. Just took a new coach to get us back on track.

neko4
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I think Frye improves under Hassleback and Holmgren's wing
Holmgren has coached alot of good (Brunell,Hassleback,Brooks) to HOF (Favre,Montana,Young) QB's

yodabear
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Charlie Frye is the next Joe Montana

JK17
09-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Charlie Frye for a sixth rounder? He was originally a third rounder. Great move by us.

I'll give you Ryan Leaf for a piece of chewing gum, and think it was a good deal every time for me. I mean, he's a former first rounder....

Staubach12
09-11-2007, 07:08 PM

You are very correct. He really is one of the best if he was able to pry anything from the Hawks for Frye. On another note, I think it was a good trade for both teams. The Hawks can now begin to move Seneca Wallace to WR (which I think they're really itching to do), they have a prodotypical backup QB in Frye, and it gives the Browns more opportunity to usher in their franchise QB. Good move, especially on the part of Savage.

PoopSandwich
09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I think what use both mean is Ken Dorsey>Derek Anderson>Tom Brady

Cleo Lemon>Ken Dorsey>Derek Anderson>Tom Brady>Sex

Just kidding, but really... He is Cleo Lemon.

BrownsTown
09-11-2007, 07:39 PM
You are very correct. He really is one of the best if he was able to pry anything from the Hawks for Frye. On another note, I think it was a good trade for both teams. The Hawks can now begin to move Seneca Wallace to WR (which I think they're really itching to do), they have a prodotypical backup QB in Frye, and it gives the Browns more opportunity to usher in their franchise QB. Good move, especially on the part of Savage.

Savage is a master at getting something for nothing. Back in the 06 draft...Ozzie (Baltimore GM) knew he wanted Wimbley, he knew he was gonna get Ngata at 13, but Savage still managed to get a free 6th round pick anyway. I believe that pick ended up being Babatunde Oshinowo, who I really liked at the time.

23trufant
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
So how long do you guys think before Wallace becomes a full-time wideout?

I think he will always split time, he loves being a QB. But now this will give him alot more PT because we can affored to send him out as a WR. Get ready for some trick plays.

XxXdragonXxX
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
The last time the Seahawks traded a 6th round pick fora QB, it turned out pretty good.

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Savage is a master at getting something for nothing. Back in the 06 draft...Ozzie (Baltimore GM) knew he wanted Wimbley, he knew he was gonna get Ngata at 13, but Savage still managed to get a free 6th round pick anyway. I believe that pick ended up being Babatunde Oshinowo, who I really liked at the time.

Who is now on our practice squad. Savage is so overrated it's not even funny. I read an article about how he said he came in and the roster was bare and now they finally felt like they had a roster they were happy with. First of all, not only is he throwing the previous regime under the bus (fair or not) but he's bragging about a team that still effectively sucks. Maybe you should wait untill you win some games before you start hyping up your accomplishments eh Phil? It's a total PR move, and one that is wholly ineffective towards anyone that isn't the most ardent Browns backer.

He basically cut the guy they gave the most reps to all of last year, training camp, and the preseason. He got a 6th rounder out of a guy that he spent an early 3rd rounder on and you're praising him for that?

Sorry Browns fans, I actually feel bad seeing all of the false optomism every single year, but for all the talk about Savage being a great GM, he's so far proven nada.

BrownsTown
09-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Who is now on our practice squad. Savage is so overrated it's not even funny. I read an article about how he said he came in and the roster was bare and now they finally felt like they had a roster they were happy with. First of all, not only is he throwing the previous regime under the bus (fair or not) but he's bragging about a team that still effectively sucks. Maybe you should wait untill you win some games before you start hyping up your accomplishments eh Phil? It's a total PR move, and one that is wholly ineffective towards anyone that isn't the most ardent Browns backer.

He basically cut the guy they gave the most reps to all of last year, training camp, and the preseason. He got a 6th rounder out of a guy that he spent an early 3rd rounder on and you're praising him for that?

Sorry Browns fans, I actually feel bad seeing all of the false optomism every single year, but for all the talk about Savage being a great GM, he's so far proven nada.

Oh, I know he's on the practice squad. I just said I liked him coming out.

I think he has proven he's a good judge of talent, if nothing else. He was pretty much forced to draft need in the first in this past draft, but Eric Wright looks like a good talent. Wimbley, Edwards, look like they could really become good in time. I think he might be going in the wrong direction with a largely talented but unproven bunch in Cleveland, because most of those guys don't seem to be turning into anything, even if it's partly the coaching staff's fault. Certainly he isn't the best, but I think he's proven something.

fenikz
09-12-2007, 02:17 AM

Ken Dorsey is god.

Caddy
09-12-2007, 02:28 AM
am i the only person who like frye?

Nope. I've always liked him and think if he ever gets a chance in Seattle he will do a pretty decent job.

Addict
09-12-2007, 04:06 AM
The last time the Seahawks traded a 6th round pick fora QB, it turned out pretty good.

last time I checked that guy wasn't Charlie 'aww dammit' Frye (yes that's a new nickname)

Bigbadbob72
09-12-2007, 04:44 AM
Nope. I've always liked him and think if he ever gets a chance in Seattle he will do a pretty decent job.

I always liked him also. I think he can do well if he is in the right system with the right players. I think he is way better than Derrik Anderson.

PoopSandwich
09-12-2007, 08:19 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C3NDiMorX-o

That sums up the Browns performance against Pittsburgh and a reason to why Frye was traded... Hell we even had 5 turnovers, Mora is god.

CC.SD
09-12-2007, 09:31 PM
No, Dorsey is the one true God.

I gotta say, I like the parallels between Frye and Hasselbeck right now, but I think Holmgren might be overextending himself. It could pay off though.

BTW bearsfan, is this quote: "I'll run that dude over any day. If I met him the hole? Any day. You know, one-on-one? Yeah, right. Come on. They're just talking. I don't even know what number he is. I don't even know who he is."
-Cedric Benson on Shaun Phillips"

For real? Is it from before or after the game? Cause if it's from after, that's just silly. I thought the league had learned to respect SP95 by now, he's a monster.

bearsfan_51
09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
No, Dorsey is the one true God.

I gotta say, I like the parallels between Frye and Hasselbeck right now, but I think Holmgren might be overextending himself. It could pay off though.

BTW bearsfan, is this quote: "I'll run that dude over any day. If I met him the hole? Any day. You know, one-on-one? Yeah, right. Come on. They're just talking. I don't even know what number he is. I don't even know who he is."
-Cedric Benson on Shaun Phillips"

For real? Is it from before or after the game? Cause if it's from after, that's just silly. I thought the league had learned to respect SP95 by now, he's a monster.
He said that because Phillips said after the game that Benson was soft for no particular reason at all. Benson is a lot of things, but soft is not one of them.

JK17
09-12-2007, 10:39 PM
He said that because Phillips said after the game that Benson was soft for no particular reason at all. Benson is a lot of things, but soft is not one of them.

Do you know what the context was that Phillips said that, I'm just curious. It seems like he would have no reason to say it, but I don't if it was asked in terms of, "how did you feel Benson played"...but yeah, mainly just curious because I didn't see any press confernces or what not.

I think Benson should have thought of something better to say...more people might know his name, but to be honest as a football player I think Phillips is more established, at least at this point in his career.

Edit: Or, whatever its not that improtant, I don't want to hijack this whole thread into another issue.

bearsfan_51
09-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh I'm sure he knows who he is...but it's still a funny line. I mean...if someone is running their mouth about you in the media the best response you can give is that you don't even know who they are.

bearsfan_51
09-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Here's the full context...

Back and forth
Cedric Benson tried to mask his anger behind a sarcastic laugh, but he obviously wasn't flattered by the oral assault Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips directed toward him.

During an interview on Sirius Radio, Phillips echoed a Yahoo! Sports report Sunday that said the Chargers considered Benson "soft."

"I'll run that dude over any day," Benson said with a smile that had an edge.

"If I met him in the hole? Any day. You know, one-on-one? Yeah, right. Come on," he said. "They're just talking. … I don't even know what number he is. I don't know who he is."

Benson eventually realized Phillips was the "tall guy" who crushed Rex Grossman on the Bears' first series.

During the radio interview, Phillips said, "When we studied him, that was one of our knocks on him—if you hit him a little bit he can get a little disgruntled. And talk a little trash to him and give him a couple of shots, he'll fold and take it in. That's what we were able to do, and I'm pretty sure that's going to haunt him the rest of his career."

For his part, Benson says his running style speaks volumes.

"I don't need to defend myself on being a tough runner," he said. "Being a tough runner? Come on."

Talk aside, Benson knows he's under the microscope following a mediocre preseason (2.3 yards per carry) and an indifferent performance against the Chargers.

The criticism won't cease until Benson proves he's capable. A 100-yard game on Sunday will help … but will it happen?

"I don't know," Benson said, "but it's going to happen."

JK17
09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh I'm sure he knows who he is...but it's still a funny line. I mean...if someone is running their mouth about you in the media the best response you can give is that you don't even know who they are.

That is true...seems like it was made for a sig...he must've kept you in mind in his press conference.

CC.SD
09-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Haha, ok, props to Benson for defending himself. He really should know Phillips though, he absolutely blasted Benson's quarterback on the second play of the game.

PoopSandwich
09-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I thought this was a Charlie Frye thread...

Even Charlie Frye's thread gets hijacked, no one likes Frye...

awfullyquiet
09-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Who's charlie frye?

Wait, i think this may be the first time anyone decided to talk about him? That would explain it...