SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
That is a ridiculous contract for a rookie

Scotty D
09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
I think someones a little confused.

bored of education
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
ummm the guranteed money comes from the 68 million its not the gurantee on top of the contract.

68 total.

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
ummm the guranteed money comes from the 68 million its not the gurantee on top of the contract.

68 total.

Ok that makes a lot more sense

bigbluedefense
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
he'll be the richest bust in NFL history....

Nitschke-Hawk
09-11-2007, 12:56 PM
"Sources said the contract, hammered out in four days of marathon face-to-face negotiations in the Bay Area, has a maximum value of $68 million."

Bonuses are always included in the total value.

Out of the $68 million possible, 32 of it is guaranteed.

The Legend
09-11-2007, 12:57 PM
opps my bad

anyways still to much

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 01:00 PM
He will be cut in 3 years

TimD
09-11-2007, 01:27 PM
i he doesn't bring them a ring in 5 years then this was a ridiculous deal... (i dont think oakland will have another ring in 5 years so yeah)

Scotty D
09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
These contracts are ridiculous. But I don't think the NFL could ever adopt the NBA's rookie contract system due to the short career span of a NFL player. These guys want their money now due to the uncertainty or the career.

eaglesalltheway
09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Good for him and the Raiders. He gets the money and the rAdiers get a QB

d34ng3l021
09-11-2007, 01:49 PM
This signing system is ridiculous. Each year, they get like 5 mil more...even if they ARENT as good as the players the year before. It makes no sense, and keeps players out of camp for no good reason.

Changing to the NBA system would be so hard now. Imagine how upset the top prospects would be.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Good for him and the Raiders. He gets the money and the rAdiers get a QB

He probably wont play one game this season.

Contr0versy
09-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Russell is not worth it. I don't see him lasting long in the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
09-11-2007, 03:06 PM
why does it seem like everyone on this board thinks he will bust...im glad people are so confident in their scouting abilities from behind a tv

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I think Russell could be great. Physically, he is top notch. He has good intangibles, too, with 8(I think) 4th Q comebacks in his college career. He'll start out rough, but in time, I think he could make pro bowls. But then suck against Denver, of course.

Windy
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Official Terms via San Francisco Chronicle

-- $29 million in guaranteed base money, using the maximum $2.975 million salary remaining in this season's rookie pool and allowing for the 25 percent rule in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that prevents salaries from increasing more than 25 percent per season.
-- $3 million in backloaded escalators, triggered by simple incentives such as Russell taking a total of 35 percent of the snaps in 2007, 45 percent in 2008 and 50 percent as the starter in 2009. These figures, which are considered not-likely-to-be-earned incentives, are the minimum threshold required by the league so that the bonuses do not count against the Raiders' annual salary cap.
There are other performance-based guarantees and bonuses that boost the total payout.
-- $11.35 million in guaranteed salary in from 2007-2009, with an additional cash advance in lieu of an option bonus in Year 2, similar to the six-year, $64 million contract ($27.2 guaranteed) signed by the No. 2 overall pick, Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
why does it seem like everyone on this board thinks he will bust...im glad people are so confident in their scouting abilities from behind a tv

What makes you think he is so great? Because the last game you seen him play in he crushed a poor poor Notre Dame defense?

yo123
09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I think hes going to be a very good QB, but its going to take a couple years. He needs to work a lot on his decision making, but he definetly has all of the tools.

09-11-2007, 04:02 PM
What makes you think he is so great? Because the last game you seen him play in he crushed a poor poor Notre Dame defense?

im srry ppl like u never heard of him before that game and you arent the one there when the scouting process is goin on either

yo123
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM

You act like thats the only good game hes ever played...

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 04:07 PM
im srry ppl like u never heard of him before that game and you arent the one there when the scouting process is goin on either

Your absolutely right I never heard of him until that game.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 04:08 PM
You act like thats the only good game hes ever played...

Its not the only good game he has ever played. I just think LSU had so much talent that it helped him out alot.

smittyjs
09-11-2007, 04:27 PM
he'll be the richest bust in NFL history....
So you can see the future??

SFbear
09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
So you can see the future??

Remarkably he can. You should see his top ten predictions from last year. Nostradamus-esque.

jayceheathman
09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I think Russell could be great. Physically, he is top notch. He has good intangibles, too, with 8(I think) 4th Q comebacks in his college career. He'll start out rough, but in time, I think he could make pro bowls. But then suck against Denver, of course.

I think I will be great too. He more than likely wont play at least the first half of the season but until then the Raiders need to play Culpepper and not leave him on the bench.

OzTitan
09-11-2007, 09:21 PM

No kidding. It's overwhelmingly anti-JR around here for some reason, but then I'm the type of fan that doesn't really believe in his own scouting abilities enough to have a strong stance either way, I guess a lot of other people do.

That, or I think the whole exercise is utterly pointless. It's like driving to an ice cream parlor and arguing with someone in the car about what price the large choc chip waffle cone will be. You're not going to know for sure until you get there anyway, why bother.

Yung Flippa
09-11-2007, 09:29 PM
WOW!
well at least they finally got him signed, even it was a little too much.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-11-2007, 09:33 PM
yikes. This makes me really hope that the Jets don't get a #1 overall pick for the rest of my life. contracts will only go up after that, and that alone is far to much.......i guess thats the price u pay for having the #1 overall.

Iamcanadian
09-11-2007, 09:44 PM
These contracts are ridiculous. But I don't think the NFL could ever adopt the NBA's rookie contract system due to the short career span of a NFL player. These guys want their money now due to the uncertainty or the career.

How are they ridiculous. He got 31 million guaranteed for 6 years, that's 5.16 million a year, hardly a large sum compared to other sports. Teams use the big #'s for publicity purposes because 68 million sounds impressive but unless he turns out to be another Payton, he'll never see the other 37 million dollars. If he turns out to be another Payton who will care how much he makes.
How much does Rodriguez make with Yankees and he doesn't have to stand there and get his head and body abused. Football players for the pain they endure, should be paid a lot more than players in other sports but instead are the lowest paid professionals.

Zyro_1014
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM
IMO he's better than quinn. Quinn had just as many weapons but he didnt do squat even against weaker competition. Russell threw for over 3000 yards in a conference full of good defenses. He's gonna be a stud. just give him some time

Flyboy
09-12-2007, 12:57 AM
And this is exactly why holding out for so long was a great move for him.

Addict
09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
And this is exactly why holding out for so long was a great move for him.

yes, now instead of being overpaid he's extremely overpaid!

Good for JaMarcus, I'm not sure the Raiders should be as happy. Let's pray he's no bust

bored of education
09-12-2007, 06:48 AM
I think the Raiders she evaluate their team from here on out. They have the future QB..they have some solid RB's and WR's and a solid D. The coaching staff needs to solidify itself as wanting to change the attitude of the organization even if Al is there. Start this yer with gaining chemistry via coaching staff and players then next year the draft. Build that O-Line around Russell.

In theory it is easy to say.

Addict
09-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I think the Raiders she evaluate their team from here on out. They have the future QB..they have some solid RB's and WR's and a solid D. The coaching staff needs to solidify itself as wanting to change the attitude of the organization even if Al is there. Start this yer with gaining chemistry via coaching staff and players then next year the draft. Build that O-Line around Russell.

In theory it is easy to say.

O-line still need heaps of work and they could do better in the running game.

bored of education
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
man My typing sucks. Lamont Jordan/Rhodes would suffice if they had the right line. I believe a solid line around Russell should be their main objective

bigbluedefense
09-12-2007, 09:15 AM
I usually favor heady qbs over raw physical ones. I always felt you can adjust your offense around a smart qb, but its alot harder to teach a physical specimen how to be a good qb.

Thats why I favor the Quinns, Becks, of the world, opposed to the Youngs, Russells, Carrs.

And qbs with poor work ethics scare me.

Flyboy
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
yes, now instead of being overpaid he's extremely overpaid!

No, because you can look at Kevin Everett and realize how quickly your career (or even life) can come to a complete halt.

benchod
09-12-2007, 09:43 AM
How are they ridiculous. He got 31 million guaranteed for 6 years, that's 5.16 million a year, hardly a large sum compared to other sports. Teams use the big #'s for publicity purposes because 68 million sounds impressive but unless he turns out to be another Payton, he'll never see the other 37 million dollars. If he turns out to be another Payton who will care how much he makes.
How much does Rodriguez make with Yankees and he doesn't have to stand there and get his head and body abused. Football players for the pain they endure, should be paid a lot more than players in other sports but instead are the lowest paid professionals.

Why should an unproven rookie get more money than a veteran that has earned the right to such a large contract? That's the main argument presented against rookie contracts, if you didn't know.

For example, the contract Calvin Johnson received is worth up to $64 million, with $27.2 million in guaranteed money, making Johnson the highest-paid player in Lions history and the highest-paid receiver (in guaranteed money) in the NFL.

I have no problem with every player getting as much money as they possibly can, it's their right to do that just as its the right of every owner to penny pinch and cut you as soon as your skills diminish, but there's absolutely no justification for a rookie to vault to the top of the salary scale without playing a single down. Even Goodell began saying that the rookie contracts are becoming a little ridiculous.

nobodyinparticular
09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
In case it hasn't been noted yet, Russell finally got the ink on the paper today and even practiced with the team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014841

Addict
09-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I usually favor heady qbs over raw physical ones. I always felt you can adjust your offense around a smart qb, but its alot harder to teach a physical specimen how to be a good qb.

Thats why I favor the Quinns, Becks, of the world, opposed to the Youngs, Russells, Carrs.

I agree 100% and I could not have said it any better.

However I do understand why these guys are so wanted; imagine if Ryan Leaf for instance had a work ethic...

bored of education
09-12-2007, 02:47 PM

Smart Qb, ethereal qb's? Beck maybe.

LonghornsLegend
09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
No kidding. It's overwhelmingly anti-JR around here for some reason, but then I'm the type of fan that doesn't really believe in his own scouting abilities enough to have a strong stance either way, I guess a lot of other people do.

That, or I think the whole exercise is utterly pointless. It's like driving to an ice cream parlor and arguing with someone in the car about what price the large choc chip waffle cone will be. You're not going to know for sure until you get there anyway, why bother.

ive come to the conclusion that people do that so when something happens that they took a firm stance on they can say "i told you guys all along i knew it would happen" half the same people saying JR will bust are people who were already wrong about players that came into the league now and turned out fine...

fact is, none of those people are at the combines, have any ability or experience scouting players let alone qb's...they think they know more then people who are involved in drafting processes year in and out, where their sole job is to scout a qb's ability and base an opinion...

fact is JR could very well bust, but what first rd qb can we honestly say will not, before he even plays a game, because we have seen prospects come along rated higher then russell and end up being bust so no one truly ever knows...its just annoying listening to people talk about it around here like their so sure of themselves from watching a few LSU games on tv...

LonghornsLegend
09-12-2007, 03:12 PM

fair enough, usually the raw physical ones are rated with more potential and a higher ceiling, with a higher bust rate...so goes both ways

RaiderNation
09-12-2007, 03:35 PM
man My typing sucks. Lamont Jordan/Rhodes would suffice if they had the right line. I believe a solid line around Russell should be their main objective

if we can draft mcfadden this year i agree with you. after that hopefully michael bush can be able to produce and we would have to get a number 1 wr in some way

bored of education
09-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Definatly. !!

LonghornsLegend
09-12-2007, 04:30 PM
yeah, i mean, those guys never miss. far be it to imagine that an amateur might possibly notice something they don't like about a guy that will cause him to fail that a pro scout either notices and tells the GM (but is over-ridden in the end) or that the scout himself doesn't think is a big deal. boy, those infallible scouts.

your right, they miss all the time, my point is, being that scouts themselves are hit and miss on prospects, it amazes me to see people on this site act like their word is the spoken truth, and they are 100% sure someone will be a bust no questions asked, and most of those opinions are based from watching a few games on tv...im not speaking for everyone who thinks russell will bust, just majority who base that opinion off a couple of espn games or a stat sheet...

oh be honest. you're just pissed that everyone doesn't bend over any time vince walks by. regardless, if i DID happen to watch more than a "few" games from a guy, and i happen to care, i can make a few perfectly coherent observations that may or may not influence my opinion of a player.

you're certainly not proposing that a scout's version of a prospect be taken as gospel on a website that is, in fact, devoted to anaylsis and discussion of the draft are you? because that would be silly.

as much as you talk about vince young, are you sure you dont have some obsession with him? My post had nothing to do with him in this thread at all, and my "opinion" on people blurting out BUST! everytime JR's name comes up is just what it is, an opinion, same thing as them...dont blow a gasket over it because I know you love to search for arguments, and once again, how did Vince get into this argument? I really could care less about what people think about that man as much as you may or may not believe so, but when you start looking over all of my post and try to find some vince young relevance in it, i really have to question your motives

LonghornsLegend
09-12-2007, 06:20 PM
people on this site are cocky. who cares? should everyone here couch every opinion they have in "maybe" and "could"? that'd get boring real quick.

thats fine, i didnt no it would merit a response from you as if my opinion was out of line...people have an opinion on JR, my opinion was that people claim he's a bust without much credibility to base that opinion off of it..I didnt say it was wrong or they should stop posting, just my view on it, that is allowed right?

i barely talk about vince young. on the other hand, one could easily have interchanged vince for jamarcus in your last post, and given your history for defending vince at all costs, the leap is logical. i'm still impressed by how many of you think i "blow a gasket" everytime i post. i'm not sitting here pounding away at the keyboard. i'm not anymore angry than i was before responding to your post.

people have shouted "bust" about every prospect ever. who cares? does it honestly affect your life/health/well-being if i adamantly believe that darren mcfadden will be a monumental bust and if i make several posts to that effect? in the worst case, when the player does play well, i'll look like an idiot and lose credibility. so why are YOU so worked up over this?

If I do "defend" Vince, its usually a thread that has to due with him, the last time his name was brought up I LOL'd at a jags fan who called him "an excuse of a qb", and went on to say that Vince wasnt the major reason they won, nor did he pull a John Elway, it wasnt until you came in with your criticizing post that the conversation turned a whole nother way...

its almost like you scroll the boards looking for something to argue about, and then stay at it with smart remarks that always tend to show up at some point..I never said i was worked up, i simply made a reply just like everyone else, im still trying to figure out what made you quote and respond to me anyway, if for anything other then to throw vince youngs name around

09-12-2007, 07:06 PM

the 31 million is guaranteed money and not the whole contract so he will be makin more than 5.16 million a year

CC.SD
09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Jamarcus will be fine, he's big, with a big arm, and pretty good accuracy. However, he'll never get anything done with that O-line.

09-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Jamarcus will be fine, he's big, with a big arm, and pretty good accuracy. However, he'll never get anything done with that O-line.

By the time he takes a snap, most of them will be replaced.

CC.SD
09-13-2007, 01:57 AM
By the time he takes a snap, most of them will be replaced.

That's what I think too.

Brent
09-13-2007, 08:19 AM
I thought that each NFL team had something like a rookie salary pool that they could use on their rookies, like it was all they could use for rookies and they had to work inside that?

geaux tigers
09-14-2007, 12:52 AM
a lot of crying on this board over JR's contract. Had Oakland not wanted JR, I'm sure Cleveland would've been more than happy to take JR and pay him that kind of money too. Same with any team that needs a QB. These teams have their own scouting dept and knows the risk/reward involve in drafting players. If Oakland can piss away $10/mil yr with Randy Moss, $31mil over 6 yrs for JR is starting to sound pretty good. Or what Culpepper did for Miami for how much money?

Addict
09-14-2007, 08:39 AM
if we can draft mcfadden this year i agree with you. after that hopefully michael bush can be able to produce and we would have to get a number 1 wr in some way

well there's plenty top talent available in both the main concerns for the raiders: OL and WR.

You could have a Vikes-like draft (Jake Long and a Manningham for instance)