PDA

View Full Version : jake long's stock

foozball
09-11-2007, 10:38 PM
does his stock go down with michigan's struggles?

yo123
09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
does his stock go down with michigan's struggles?

I dont think so, hes still doing a great job road grading for Mike Hart. Its not his fault at all.

Don Vito
09-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Yea, Long has been absolutely dominant in the 1st 2 games. It appears that his stock has not gone down at all.

P-L
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Jake Long has been our best player not named Mike Hart. He is still the first or second OT prospect and looks like a top five pick in next year's draft.

KCJ58
09-11-2007, 10:54 PM
the player from Michigan u should worry anout his stock droping is Chad has-Been

bearsfan_51
09-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Henne will still go in the 1st day I believe. Reports of his demise are greatly overstated.

On that note, general performance in college is overstated anyway. If you're a good prospect, you'll get drafted regardless. Look at Devin Hester, he did basically nothing in college and was still a 2nd round pick. Hell Chris Henry didn't even START and he went in the 2nd round.

Xiomera
09-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Michigan's run game anchored by Long and Hart has been the only bright spot on the team. Record won't affect Long.

LionSmack
09-12-2007, 07:17 AM
What everyone else said

bigbluedefense
09-12-2007, 10:05 AM
When I looked at Long, honestly, I saw some things that worried me. Now he is great in the run game, but what worried me was his pass protection.

Surprisingly, he was getting pushed back at times. He didn't hold his ground as well as I thought he would. There were even times when Ive seen him get thrown to the floor. Thats not good. Right here right now, Im dropping his stock, but I need to see more film on him. I didn't see a shutdown LT in him during the 2 games I saw quite frankly.

He shows flashes of dominance, but then he follows it up with a play when he gets destroyed. That inconsistency is something he needs to work on.

Man_Of_Steel
09-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Michigans run game is the only production their getting and Long is paving the way so I doubt his draft stock will be affected at all.

badgerbacker
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Henne will still go in the 1st day I believe. Reports of his demise are greatly overstated.

On that note, general performance in college is overstated anyway. If you're a good prospect, you'll get drafted regardless. Look at Devin Hester, he did basically nothing in college and was still a 2nd round pick. Hell Chris Henry didn't even START and he went in the 2nd round.You make some good points there, but I think performance is much more important for a QB than some other positions where athletic ability can get you by. Also, Henne doesn't really seem like someone who would blow anyone away with workouts or combine numbers.

Lastly, Hester was a hell of a returnman in college too. Remember when he singlehandedly beat Louisville?

KaneMarko
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I dont think Longs stock has dropped at all. Hes still arguably the best O-Tackle prospect in this draft. Baker may give him a run. But right now Id still have to put him at the top of the O-Tackle list.

Turtlepower
09-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I think it depends on the team that is drafting who needs an o-lineman. If it is a team that predominately favors the run than Long is an easy pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if a pass-heavy team would take Baker over Long.

DeathbyStat
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM

On that note, general performance in college is overstated anyway. If you're a good prospect, you'll get drafted regardless. Look at Devin Hester, he did basically nothing in college and was still a 2nd round pick. Hell Chris Henry didn't even START and he went in the 2nd round.

Exactly the same can be said for Willie Parker

keylime_5
09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Long looks great out there from what I've seen. Not only is he a dominating blocker, but he is a great leader and a good sportsman. I remember seeing him grabbing Greg Matthews last weekend after Greg kicked an Oregon guy in a cheap shot....looked like he was gonna smush Matthews up like a piece of paper after that. Long looks to be a sure top 5 pick (KC, Oakland, Atlanta, etc?)

Turtlepower
09-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Long looks great out there from what I've seen. Not only is he a dominating blocker, but he is a great leader and a good sportsman. I remember seeing him grabbing Greg Matthews last weekend after Greg kicked an Oregon guy in a cheap shot....looked like he was gonna smush Matthews up like a piece of paper after that. Long looks to be a sure top 5 pick (KC, Oakland, Atlanta, etc?)

yeah I saw that as well. He is a team player no doubt.

bored of education
09-12-2007, 01:35 PM
He would be an excellent Chief

P-L
09-12-2007, 04:46 PM
The only knock on him, like BBD mentioned is the occasional inconsistency in pass protection. Jake Long has excellent size and strength and is an elite run blocker. He is a leader on and off the field and an excellent team player. He is our captain for the second straight season, only the 11th player in Michigan football history to hold that honor in two consecutive seasons.

derza222
09-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Willie Parker has had a great career but went undrafted if I'm correct...

Addict
09-12-2007, 05:22 PM

dude, willie parker was undrafted out of college, but thanks for trying.

Twister18
09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Michigan's run game anchored by Long and Hart has been the only bright spot on the team. Record won't affect Long.

Crable looked good against App. State.

KaneMarko
09-13-2007, 08:07 AM
He would be an excellent Chief

No doubt about it. It seems like Herm wants to put a heavy emphasis on running the ball and knocking the D-Line off the line of scrimmage. That being the case, if we end up picking high enough, then Id have to imagine Jake Long to be the obvious choice.

D-Unit
09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I think Long has opened the door for someone to overtake him as the first tackle taken, so yeah, I do think his stock is not as strong as it once was and has dropped some. Plenty of ball left to rise up. I don't think he should feel comfortable doing what he has been doing.

Baker is a masterful technician and is very sound and consistent. I like smart OL men on my team. After QB, OL need to be the smartest players on the field, imo.

Xiomera
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I think Long has opened the door for someone to overtake him as the first tackle taken, so yeah, I do think his stock is not as strong as it once was and has dropped some. Plenty of ball left to rise up. I don't think he should feel comfortable doing what he has been doing.

Baker is a masterful technician and is very sound and consistent. I like smart OL men on my team. After QB, OL need to be the smartest players on the field, imo.

Was he ever the unquestioned #1 OT? Sam Baker and he were seen by many as 1a and 1b from everything I had seen . . .

I still see it as a toss-up.

JoeMontainya
09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
IMO his stock has and will fall, but because he will still be the best OT in the draft, it wont actually fall come draft time because it is such an important position.

phunnypharm
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
When I looked at Long, honestly, I saw some things that worried me. Now he is great in the run game, but what worried me was his pass protection.

Surprisingly, he was getting pushed back at times. He didn't hold his ground as well as I thought he would. There were even times when Ive seen him get thrown to the floor. Thats not good. Right here right now, Im dropping his stock, but I need to see more film on him. I didn't see a shutdown LT in him during the 2 games I saw quite frankly.

He shows flashes of dominance, but then he follows it up with a play when he gets destroyed. That inconsistency is something he needs to work on.

I agree that he is NOT an elite OLT in the mold of Jones or Pace. He should be a solid NFL OLT.........but may even be better suited to play ORT. He just doesn't have the great feet and agility to be a dominant pass blocker.