PDA

View Full Version : Week 2: Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions

P-L
09-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I really feel like this game is a toss up. Minnesota has a very good defense, especially their run defense. However, I don't think they have the depth in the secondary to stop our offense. Antoine Winfield is a good corner, but I'm not a fan of their safeties and they are thin at corner after Winfield. If our offensive line can limit the Vikings pass rush, I can see a lot of success through the air. I don't like our secondary at all, but if out defensive line can play well then we might be able to force Tarvaris Jackson into making some mistakes. The run defense played well against Oakland, but Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota left side of the offensive line is a different story. I want to pick the Lions, mainly because they are at home. However, I just can't. I'll say the Vikings win by a score of 27-24.

WMD
09-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Several factors point to a Lions victory.. It's the home opener... and I'll be there.

Lions win, 49-17!! Count on it!

Addict
09-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Several factors point to a Lions victory.. It's the home opener... and I'll be there.

Lions win, 49-17!! Count on it!

fo sho! Shut up them Minny fans too. Enjoy while you're there!

Iamcanadian
09-12-2007, 08:08 AM
It should be a classic, our offense against their defense. Their offense will ride Peterson's coattails against our weak defense.
If we can contain Peterson we have a good shot because they won't be able to score much with their passing attack. I just hope we don't hand them the game on turnovers.
What scares me is the way Minny owns Detroit. That is something hopefully we can put an end to.
If we lose this game at home, we can probably look forward to another top 10 pick, if we win, 7 or 8 victories might just be possible in this weak Division.

Addict
09-12-2007, 08:46 AM
It should be a classic, our offense against their defense. Their offense will ride Peterson's coattails against our weak defense.
If we can contain Peterson we have a good shot because they won't be able to score much with their passing attack. I just hope we don't hand them the game on turnovers.
What scares me is the way Minny owns Detroit. That is something hopefully we can put an end to.
If we lose this game at home, we can probably look forward to another top 10 pick, if we win, 7 or 8 victories might just be possible in this weak Division.

http://www.imnewswatch.com/archives/super_positive_thinking_made_very_easy1.jpg

TacticaLion
09-12-2007, 11:27 AM
http://www.imnewswatch.com/archives/super_positive_thinking_made_very_easy1.jpg
HA! Holy ****... I laughed hard.

Defense

This game scares me a bit. AD looked great in his first start, and Jordan had a great game against us. IF we can stop AD completely... which I don't think will happen... this should be an easy game for us. AD will do well, which should make things easy for Jackson. Their offense might flow just enough to be consistently productive.

Offense

The Vikings have an incredible run defense. Luckily, we pass the ball. I expect the same (or better) offensive production and at least 30 points. Ol' Roy will, instead, look like the Roy of old and catch at least 8 passes. It'll be interesting to see how much Tatum Bell is used... and what he can do with those carries. He looked good in week 1.

Prediction

In closing, I don't have a good feeling about this one. Maybe I can't imagine being 2-0, or maybe I think the Lions will fall apart like years prior. We shall see.

(Note: there was a big moment for me in the first game. Watching the Raiders go up 21-20 and seeing the momentum shift away from the Lions, I almost expected something to happen and for them to put the game out of reach. That something didn't happen. We stayed confident and made plays... something that hasn't happened in a while.)

JPLUFF
09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Well...I'm not sure when the last time Detroit beat Minnesota was (it was sometime before the 2002 season), and I refuse to bet against streaks, so sadly I have to take the Vikes in this one. Plus I think their pass defense is better than most here give them credit for, not to mention their D-Line is amongst the best in the league.

28-20 Minnesota.

Addict
09-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Well...I'm not sure when the last time Detroit beat Minnesota was (it was sometime before the 2002 season), and I refuse to bet against streaks, so sadly I have to take the Vikes in this one. Plus I think their pass defense is better than most here give them credit for, not to mention their D-Line is amongst the best in the league.

28-20 Minnesota.

yes, they have kevin and pat williams, but apart from that?

WMD
09-12-2007, 05:26 PM
I think AD will hurt us.. but it'll be on little passes in the Flats, or from Screens. He should have a very good game.. if he doesn't, I think it'll mainly be because of DeWayne White.. knocking down passes, breaking up screens, getting into the backfield.. He has a favorable matchup against (I believe) Ryan Cook.

LionSmack
09-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I'd like to point out that this game is not yet sold out and actually looks like it may be blacked out for the first time in the Ford Field era.

This is just sign #17 (or so) that this season is totally upside down. Instead of coming off a loss, blowing their opening game on the road, coming home to a sold out stadium full of kool aid drinkers, it seems just the opposite.

Therefore, whereas we would expect the Lions to utterly fail to build on their momentum, and lose yet again to the Vikings, I believe they will win.

Iamcanadian
09-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Imagine if we loose, we may not see a home game this year on TV as sellouts could be rare. Ugh, what a thought.

Addict
09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Imagine if we loose, we may not see a home game this year on TV as sellouts could be rare. Ugh, what a thought.

don't he lions lose every year?

Xiomera
09-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Prediction:

Lions 24, Vikings 19 (don't ask how I came up with 19, it just sounded right, lol)

Kitna: 24/30, 289 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT, 1 Fumble
Bell: 13 carries, 76 yards, 1 long TD run and a whole lot of nothing on his other 12 carries
Roy: 7 catches, 84 yards, 1 TD
Calvin: 4 catches, 43 yards
Furrey: 7 catches, 109 yards, 1 TD
McDonald: 3 catches, 19 yards

Addict
09-15-2007, 11:02 AM
one TD and 4 field goals get you 19.

litlharsh
09-15-2007, 01:20 PM
The only reason we lose this game: No pressure on Kitna/on purpose. Just a heads up.

ps: it'd be mad funny if we lost and part of me hopes we do so we can enjoy some lolz.

Addict
09-15-2007, 01:24 PM
The only reason we lose this game: No pressure on Kitna/on purpose. Just a heads up.

ps: it'd be mad funny if we lost and part of me hopes we do so we can enjoy some lolz.

two words: Tavaris Jackson.

I rest my case.

yo123
09-15-2007, 04:25 PM
two words: Tavaris Jackson.

I rest my case.

this argument has been absolutely beaten into the ground. He did just fine last week. He doesnt even need to play well, he needs to not turn the ball over, just like last week.

Iamcanadian
09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Minny will attempt to run the ball down our throats. If they are successful, our offense won't be on the field long enough to score much. I don't expect to see Jackson throwing the ball very much. We either can stop the run or teams will watch film on this game and run on us till we prove we can stop the run.
Minny may not have much of a passing attack but their OL is excellent at run blocking and should prove a real test for our defense. Unfortunately the Tampa 2 defense is much more effective against a passing team so we may not match up well with a running team.
If we can stop the run then our offense should beat Minny, if we cannot stop the run, it could be a long day. Jackson will not have much of an impact on the game as he main job will be to hand the ball off to Peterson. He'll only throw if it is absolutely necessary.

Addict
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
this argument has been absolutely beaten into the ground. He did just fine last week. He doesnt even need to play well, he needs to not turn the ball over, just like last week.

nag nag nag he sucks, get over it.

BuckNaked
09-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Time to make it 11 wins in a row against Detroit.

Addict
09-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Time to make it 11 wins in a row against Detroit.

Yes, let's hope history comes to bite you in the ass.

DHVF
09-16-2007, 01:15 PM
nag nag nag he sucks, get over it.

Ha, I'm gonna laugh when he and our porous group of WRs tear apart your horrid excuse for a secondary.

P-L
09-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Ha, I'm gonna laugh when he and our porous group of WRs tear apart your horrid excuse for a secondary.

So when a bad QB tears apart a bad secondary that makes him good? Laugh all you want, it doesn't make him better than he is.

DHVF
09-16-2007, 02:41 PM
So when a bad QB tears apart a bad secondary that makes him good? Laugh all you want, it doesn't make him better than he is.HAHA, where exactly did I say it would make him good? I was just responding to the continued rantings of how terrible Tarvaris is.

P-L
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Shaun Cody with the INT off the tipped passed!!!

Addict
09-16-2007, 05:00 PM

I agree we're getting torn up by your monster future Hall of Fame QB.

Oh wait...
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. Jackson 9/19 92 0 3

this is where I laugh at you.

HA!

Bills2083
09-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I went on NFL.com, and it said that J.T. O'sullivan was in there. What happened to Kitna? Was he injured, pulled, etc...

jbombul
09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
jon kitna has heart!

P-L
09-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Helluva game. Kitna played his ass of on that final drive. 2-0 feels unbelievable, even if it won't last long.

familyguy555
09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Jon Kitna is sweet. What a run by Calhoun too.

LionSmack
09-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Jackson is not good. Like awfully not good.

Kitna, meanwhile, is manly and as long as he stays healthy he's going to pass all over everything.

TheMadLionsFan
09-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Oh wait...
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. Jackson 9/19 92 0 3

HA!

here let me update that for you

17/33 166 yds with no touchdowns & 4 picks...

The Lions will sweep the Viqueens this season...

TacticaLion
09-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I have nothing but the upmost respect for Jon Kitna. He came back in after being injured to lead us to a victory. He could've caught the ball and fallen (to avoid contact), but instead ran his ass off, got whacked, but set the team up for a 3rd and short. What happened next? He RAN! Goddamn Jon Vicna.

I thought the game was over... I thought it was lost. JTOS tried to pull it off, but struggled and started to fold. Without Kitna, it was lost.

I almost cancelled my DirecTV when JTOS started to crumble... as the season started to slip away. Kitna is the man. The man.

Bootland27
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Whether or not you like Jon Kitna as our QB, you gotta respect the hell outta him after what he did today.

Xiomera
09-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I missed the entire game. I was at work. All I can say is this . . .

Lions are going to the Super Bowl!

lol

Notredameleo
09-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Great Game today

DHVF
09-16-2007, 09:39 PM

Oh wait...
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. Jackson 9/19 92 0 3

HA!

Ouch, gotta eat me some crow after today. Good game played by your defense today. We'll see what happens though in the Dome.

WMD
09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I never knew what it felt like when 65,000 people got depressed at the same time.. but I experienced that at Ford Field when JT O'Sullivan came into the game for Jon Kitna.

Scotty D
09-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Just got back from the game. It was awesome. I'm almost positive that Mike Furrey's family was like 3 rows in front of us. How many other families all have Mike Furrey jerseys and cheer wildly at his every catch. So that was pretty cool and I'm almost positive that Ernie Sims Mom and Sister/Wife + Agent was in our row. I'm glad I can say that I saw Calvin Johnson in real life. The TV doesn't do him justice. The catch when Roy's helmet came off and Kitna's runs at the end of the game were teh highlights. Also the stadium went absolute apeshit when Longwell hit the Goal post.

Look how close I got to Megatron!

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9231/lionsgame007wv2.jpg

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6968/lionsgame012uc3.jpg

TacticaLion
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Just got back from the game. It was awesome. I'm almost positive that Mike Furrey's family was like 3 rows in front of us. How many other families all have Mike Furrey jerseys and cheer wildly at his every catch. So that was pretty cool and I'm almost positive that Ernie Sims Mom and Sister/Wife + Agent was in our row. I'm glad I can say that I saw Calvin Johnson in real life. The TV doesn't do him justice. The catch when Roy's helmet came off and Kitna's runs at the end of the game were teh highlights. Also the stadium went absolute apeshit when Longwell hit the Goal post.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Thanks for the sharing.

I was with the Lions fans when the kick hit the goal post... for I was going apeshit in the confines of my house. Kitna's runs were just incredible... if every sportscaster in America didn't hate us, it would be the story of the day.

I never knew what it felt like when 65,000 people got depressed at the same time.. but I experienced that at Ford Field when JT O'Sullivan came into the game for Jon Kitna.HA! The two happiest moments of my life: the birth of my son and when I saw Kitna back under center today.

detroitsports
09-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Raiders almost beat the Broncos.... Doesn't mean much, but still.

Crazy_Chris
09-17-2007, 07:45 AM
here let me update that for you

17/33 166 yds with no touchdowns & 4 picks...

The Lions will sweep the Viqueens this season...

Don't get too cocky now... it was a good win by detroit but i wouldn't go as far to say your going to sweep us.... I gotta give the your D credit for containing Adrian peterson better than i expected. That is probably the biggest reason you won. Because if Tarvaris has to throw the ball 33 times every game this year we won't be winning many of them.

Addict
09-17-2007, 08:39 AM

Look how close I got to Megatron!

ehm... tactica´s probably.

TacticaLion
09-17-2007, 11:13 AM
ehm... tactica´s probably.

BAH! Sure, I love the hairy one, but we'd be wearing Sims or IAF jerseys thankyouverymuch.

Nerv
09-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Kitna's a tough character and is quite the passer until he gets into the red zone, grant it the lack of a running game doesnt help a lot but he needs to be more careful when the Lions are in scoring position if we want to continue to see W's.

TacticaLion
09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Kitna's a tough character and is quite the passer until he gets into the red zone, grant it the lack of a running game doesnt help a lot but he needs to be more careful when the Lions are in scoring position if we want to continue to see W's.
It's hard for a pass-happy offense to pass in the red zone. Many more defenders in a smaller area.