PDA

View Full Version : Better QB Prospect: Quinn or Brohm?

Turtlepower
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I see this debate coming about soon enough because people love to hate Brady Quinn while people seem to hate Brohm as well. I personally like Quinn a heck of a lot better than Brohm and believe that his accuracy problems are very overrated. Brohm does have the potential to be a franchise QB, but Quinn was the better prospect and will be the better pro.

Shiver
09-12-2007, 12:11 PM
There is no doubt in my mind: Brian Brohm. I thought that Brady Quinn's accuracy was suspect last year and he (like Brohm has done to an extent) put up great numbers against bad opponents.

BuddyCHRIST
09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Quinn definently, and I'm a Brohm fan. He's more athletic (especially after Brohm's injury) has a stronger arm and while he doesn't throw the short ball as well as Brohm he throws about every other pass better. Quinn also comes off as a better, more fiery leader. Quinn's struggles against good teams were greatly overrated, his stats were never great but if you ever watched him he played well and just spent most of the game running for his life.

bored of education
09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm a Quinn hater, since he was terrible against teams with a with a total Defense 1-70 D1 ranks esp. Comp %.

For some reason I'm not to ooorried about Brohm's injury history.

Brohm to me is a gamer. He did struggle a few times in the spotlight in the bigger games like Rutgers game 06. I must say the level of competition that Brohm has faced is much weaker than the level of competition that Quinn faced.

The best things about Brohm that translate IMO well to becomming a pro are comp %, his ability to manage games, deadly accurate from 20 yards in, among other things.

Who will have a better NFl career I don't know. But too me the style, game management skills, etherealness, etc just make me think the skill set he has translates better.

but thats just me.

EvilMonkey
09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm a Quinn hater, since he was terrible against teams with a with a total Defense 1-70 D1 ranks esp. Comp %.

For some reason I'm not to ooorried about Brohm's injury history.

Brohm to me is a gamer. He did struggle a few times in the spotlight in the bigger games like Rutgers game 06. I must say the level of competition that Brohm has faced is much weaker than the level of competition that Quinn faced.

The best things about Brohm that translate IMO well to becomming a pro are comp %, his ability to manage games, deadly accurate from 20 yards in, among other things.

Who will have a better NFl career I don't know. But too me the style, game management skills, etherealness, etc just make me think the skill set he has translates better.

but thats just me.

i agree with that assessment 100%, i like brohm more but part of that is i like an offense which focuses on more short throws than deep patterns(WCO) which Brohm is better at. In the right offensive scheme, Brohm should be able to be a great QB. I like Quinn too and think he'll be a good QB, but i like brohm just a little bit better.

Man_Of_Steel
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I like Quinn and think he will be a good NFL quarterback. However Ive been high on Brohm for awhile and think he has everything he needs to suceed at a high level.

Mr. Stiller
09-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Brohm Reminds me of Palmer..

He has the big frame, an underrated arm(after reading some of these posts) Great accuracy and the ability to stand pressure.

I would compare Quinn to Losman's first years..

Has the intangibles, but falters easily under pressure and he's wildly inconsistant. Quinn's best year at ND was just throwing the ball for Stovall and Samardizja. While that floats in college against the likes of Navy, Army and such, that doesn't happen in the Pro's, especially in Cleveland.

princefielder28
09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Brian Brohm.........

BrownsTown
09-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I voted Quinn because I'm a homer, (Well, I think Quinn is underrated in pretty much everything, arm, accuracy, leadership, mobility), but mostly because Quinn has the ability to turn a bad team good, as we saw at ND.

soybean
09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
brian brohm

this is how you know preseason rankings are overrated.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-6M9fIincgM

Turtlepower
09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
brian brohm

this is how you know preseason rankings are overrated.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-6M9fIincgM

Or I could just do this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE

Seriously, I could make a compilation of all of Brohm's INTs and he would look just as bad.

soybean
09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Or I could just do this.

Seriously, I could make a compilation of all of Brohm's INTs and he would look just as bad.

but you can't... because he doesn't have any...ever...

Mr. Stiller
09-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Or I could just do this.

And I'd retort.

Yes He still doesn't look good throwing into double/triple coverage only to be saved by Samardizja..

Most of those passes should be in a Samardizja highlight reel, not Quinn.

Did Quinn make some great plays? Definitely..

Is he better than Brohm? I don't believe so.

About 15 of those passes in that video should have been picked off.. if it weren't for the sheer fact it was Navy and Stanford.. Air Force and UNC. He makes those passes in the Pro's .. it's a quick Pick-6.

about 6:40 in he throws to Samardizja in Quad Coverage.. QUAD!. If it wasn't Army thats 6.

eaglesalltheway
09-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Quinn definently, and I'm a Brohm fan. He's more athletic (especially after Brohm's injury) has a stronger arm and while he doesn't throw the short ball as well as Brohm he throws about every other pass better. Quinn also comes off as a better, more fiery leader. Quinn's struggles against good teams were greatly overrated, his stats were never great but if you ever watched him he played well and just spent most of the game running for his life.

Ypu brought up everything I would have said.

bored of education
09-12-2007, 03:41 PM
If the Shark signs with Cleveland then Brady will be better.

The Shark would def. be in the top 10 hands wise in NFL.

P-L
09-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Brady Quinn, easily. Brohm is the more accurate passer, but I think Quinn is better at almost everything else. Quinn has a stronger arm and a much better deep ball. He's more athletic as well. Both QB have had their fair share of struggles against top competition (Quinn struggled against LSU, USC, and Michigan while Brohm has struggles against Rutgers in '06 and West Virginia and Syracuse in '05). However, few would argue against the fact that the defenses Quinn has struggled against are much superior to the ones Brohm has struggles against.

moc182
09-12-2007, 05:06 PM
It's hard to evaluate Brohm since his receivers have 5 yards of seperation on every play and he never has to throw in to tight windows, but ultimately I dont see him being as good as Quinn.

KILLERSANTA
09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Brian Brohm but, didn't I are do this thread?

Addict
09-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Brian Brohm but, didn't I are do this thread?

what the hell did you just try to say?

d34ng3l021
09-12-2007, 05:17 PM
what the hell did you just try to say?

He picked Brian Brohm between Brian Brohm and Brady Quinn.

Then he said that he already did a thread on this.

Pretty simple really.

Addict
09-12-2007, 05:20 PM

Pretty simple really.

damn english... are means already these days?

keylime_5
09-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I thought they would both be good pro QBs dating back to the summer of 2006,a nd still do, even more so now. Quinn has a stronger arm and great moxy, and is a tough kid with all the IT facor you want. Sees the field well, is a great leader in the huddle and usually makes good decisions. Accuracy is underrated b/c of the draft process, and throws a great deep ball. Brohm's arm is not as strong, but he makes great decisive throws. Brohm is gonna be a really good QB for somebody (Atlanta? Kansas City? Minnesota?)

Freddy G
09-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Brady Quinn is a better pro prospect. Plus, i am a Browns fan. Louisvilles offense can make anybody look like a great QB (Lefors). Quinn has a legit NFL arm, something Brohm is yet to prove (looks a bit weak to me). Quinn has tremendous pocket presense and confidence, two things that are high underrated in QBs.

Brohm looks like a pocket version of Alex Smith to me. Smart and savy, but doesn't have the physical tools or "it" to give him that edge. I expect him to have a decent career though (Matt Hassellback? like)

JoeMontainya
09-12-2007, 05:31 PM
"Both QB have had their fair share of struggles against top competition (Quinn struggled against LSU, USC,"

Quinn also beat Michigan single handidly one year, and if it wasnt for an illegal play (the Reggie Bush Push) then Quinn would have also beaten USC the year they went to the national title game so.... people are really overrated him not playing well against good competition.

Also look where ND was before the Quinn era and also now that he has left....It shows how much he actually did for that team.

And whoever is saying it is a bad thing that Quinn managed to complete a pass to a WR that was tripled covered is a freakin moron. Who cares if it "could have been picked off", the fact is that it WASNT picked off and was completed on triple coverage. I dont care what team it is in college, if he can do that it is still impressive.

And dont act like Jeff S. is the only reason Quinn had good stats, because I remember the other WR had 15 TD's to his name and isnt even a threat to crack the top 3 WR's on his team in the NFL.

People keep saying Quinn isnt accurate, but that was ND's OL at fault. He had a solid OL blocking for him in the preseason and his accuracy was amazing for those who watched. And yes he did play against a starting deffense, the same one that only allowed 14 pts this week, which is above average for this league.

Name me another QB drafted in the last 5 years that has shown this much leadership ability. Our team is willing to trade its starting QB because of this kid that should say alot no matter who the QB is.

Brian Brohn is no different IMO than Colt Brennan, there goal is to pad stats at their position and they both do a great job of it.

Brohm = JP Losman
Quinn = Mark Brunnell in his early years

KILLERSANTA
09-12-2007, 06:26 PM

Pretty simple really.

What he said...

So I made a typo, are = already.......

OhioState
09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
give me Quinn every day of the week.

terribletowel39
09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
how about neither....Andre Woodson.

soybean
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
willie tuitama.

09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Brohm Reminds me of Palmer..

He has the big frame, an underrated arm(after reading some of these posts) Great accuracy and the ability to stand pressure.

I would compare Quinn to Losman's first years..

Has the intangibles, but falters easily under pressure and he's wildly inconsistant. Quinn's best year at ND was just throwing the ball for Stovall and Samardizja. While that floats in college against the likes of Navy, Army and such, that doesn't happen in the Pro's, especially in Cleveland.

i agree with the quinn to losman comparison but i have to say brian brohm reminds me more of tom brady than carson palmer therefore brohm will be the better NFL QB

bored of education
09-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Christ, if people wanted Brady quinn that bad E.G Chiefs, Jaguars, Miami, Dallas, Minnesota, Carolina would be the teams to have chosen him. I think Quinn will be solid but he is not a guy to put your franchise on the line for, something it seems Cleveland did. He was chosen to make a difference right now, if he doesn't have "IT"(which he doesnt have in IMO) in 2-3 years he is a bust. Now JR, I dont see him reaching his potential 2-4 years from now and he was chosen as a project. Brady I think peaked.

But Brohm i like him hi

d34ng3l021
09-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Brian Brohm.

BrownsTown
09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Christ, if people wanted Brady quinn that bad E.G Chiefs, Jaguars, Miami, Dallas, Minnesota, Carolina would be the teams to have chosen him. I think Quinn will be solid but he is not a guy to put your franchise on the line for, something it seems Cleveland did. He was chosen to make a difference right now, if he doesn't have "IT"(which he doesnt have in IMO) in 2-3 years he is a bust. Now JR, I dont see him reaching his potential 2-4 years from now and he was chosen as a project. Brady I think peaked.

But Brohm i like him hi

Ugh...you're doing exactly what everyone else did, which is overanalyze him.

Mr. Stiller
09-12-2007, 11:08 PM
"Both QB have had their fair share of struggles against top competition (Quinn struggled against LSU, USC,"

Quinn also beat Michigan single handidly one year, and if it wasnt for an illegal play (the Reggie Bush Push) then Quinn would have also beaten USC the year they went to the national title game so.... people are really overrated him not playing well against good competition.

Also look where ND was before the Quinn era and also now that he has left....It shows how much he actually did for that team.

Ironically that coincided with Charlie Weis taking over as well...

And whoever is saying it is a bad thing that Quinn managed to complete a pass to a WR that was tripled covered is a freakin moron. Who cares if it "could have been picked off", the fact is that it WASNT picked off and was completed on triple coverage. I dont care what team it is in college, if he can do that it is still impressive.

I didn't say it was a "Bad" thing, I said it was dangerous. If that was a pro-CB or even a very good corner, thats an INT. I thought it was a great pass, but it was also against a horrible secondary. I HOPE he does that against the Steelers.. Ike and DeShea will eat that up all day long. It wasn't picked off because he did it against weak teams. He won't get away with that in the Pro's. He forced passes into coverage. Ask some pro-quarterbacks about that... Ben last year, Grossman.. Losman in his earlier years.. etc.

And dont act like Jeff S. is the only reason Quinn had good stats, because I remember the other WR had 15 TD's to his name and isnt even a threat to crack the top 3 WR's on his team in the NFL.

I didn't, I said a lot of his passes were throw it up's in the end zone because the teams he did it to didn't have a corner that could jump higher than either Stovall or Samardizja. Samardizja was an amazing athlete.. Stovall was very athletic in his own right. There were quite a few he just chucked it up and it just lucked out that Stovall/Samardizja could jump higher than Navy's 5'7 corner.

People keep saying Quinn isnt accurate, but that was ND's OL at fault. He had a solid OL blocking for him in the preseason and his accuracy was amazing for those who watched. And yes he did play against a starting deffense, the same one that only allowed 14 pts this week, which is above average for this league.

And look what Pittsburgh did to your offensive line last week. Is he going to make the OL better? There's quite a few better defenses than ours. He's going to not only avoid the pass rush, with the fact you have absolutely no run game and make amazing passes in triple coverage? I never said he wasn't accurate.. He didn't have a great OL (though his Center was superb and he had 2 great TE's). But he also made a lot of bad passes as well. You guys blame Charlie Frye for the fact he holds on to the ball too long, What happens if Quinn gets sacked 3-4 times in a game? Is it him or your OL?

Name me another QB drafted in the last 5 years that has shown this much leadership ability. Our team is willing to trade its starting QB because of this kid that should say alot no matter who the QB is.

Or the fact your starting QB was just that bad. They started Frye. And why should he gain confidence, your team didn't give him 1 game behind that OL. The OL was a large part of the reason for that game. Sure he held on to the ball long, but your receivers weren't open and your OL couldn't block. Anderson only got sacked once because by the time he really got moving we already had a 24-0 lead. LeBeau called the dogs off. Is it they're so sure he's the perfect savior? Or they're just hoping?

As for your last 5 years?

2003: Carson Palmer
2004: Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers
2005: Alex Smith (Made Utah what it was that year), Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young? He Led his Texas to the NC and he led them over the heavily favored USC Trojans.

Brian Brohn is no different IMO than Colt Brennan, there goal is to pad stats at their position and they both do a great job of it.

Brohm is different than Brennan. Brennan is in a high powered passing game. Brohm runs a college spread. And He does so effectively. I'm not saying who will be better. Brohm is, in my opinion, the better decision maker (Not throwing into bad coverage) and the more accurate of the two. Quinn is the more mobile and has a better arm.. but will make boneheaded passes. Their whole game isnt' to pad stats, it's to dominate.

Brohm = JP Losman
Quinn = Mark Brunnell in his early years

Brohm in no way shape or form resembles Losman. Losman is mobile and has a much more powerful arm. And he makes boneheaded decisions

I said Palmer more on frame and pocket Presence.. and the fact they're mobile, but Brohm doesn't have Palmers arm.

I guess Brady is a fair comparison, for lack of a better one.

BuddyCHRIST
09-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Why do people act like saying someone is close to Losman is a bad thing? He's one of the best young QB's in the league. He plays behind a bad o-line and his only pretty good reciever (Lee Evans) is almost purely a deep threat. He's had inconsistent running game, bad o-line and average WR's...and he's put up great numbers and improved vastly in the AFC playing great defenses like the Pats and Dolphins twice a year. If you ever listen to him now and days he's not that cocky kid he was when he entered the draft, he's actually cool, calm and collected.

Though Brohm is nothing like Losman or Palmer...like not even close.

Mr. Stiller
09-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Why do people act like saying someone is close to Losman is a bad thing? He's one of the best young QB's in the league. He plays behind a bad o-line and his only pretty good reciever (Lee Evans) is almost purely a deep threat. He's had inconsistent running game, bad o-line and average WR's...and he's put up great numbers and improved vastly in the AFC playing great defenses like the Pats and Dolphins twice a year. If you ever listen to him now and days he's not that cocky kid he was when he entered the draft, he's actually cool, calm and collected.

Though Brohm is nothing like Losman or Palmer...like not even close.

I was comparing his pocket presence and build.. he has a stature like Palmer, though not his arm or accuracy..

But he's not anything like Losman.. period.

Turtlepower
09-13-2007, 01:43 AM
I was comparing his pocket presence and build.. he has a stature like Palmer, though not his arm or accuracy..

But he's not anything like Losman.. period.

So... More or less you are saying he just looks like Palmer?

30-30. This is much closer than I thought.

phunnypharm
09-13-2007, 06:59 AM

This following quote is from a post I made when the draft discussions were being made on a different board:

Quote:
I'll be the first to say that he did not look good in that game. But by that same logic, he looked great in the USC game last year, and other than the Michigan game, he has looked good this year.

I would hope he did look good this year in the "other" games.

He only played 3 other quality teams for the entire year.

In his 4 games against ranked teams (U of M, USC, Penn St., and Georgia Tech)..............Quinn only completed 94 of 167 passes (about 56%) at about 6.2 yards per attempt.

If he hadn't ripped up Penn State.....the weakest of these 4 teams........his stats would have looked MUCH worse. In fact......upon further review.......Penn State is 8-4 this year, but they haven't beaten a ranked team! They played 4 ranked teams, and lost by a combined 99-36 score!!!

Against the other 3 teams (who REALLY are actually good)............Quinn completed 69 of 131 passes (only 53%)...........at 5.75 yards per completion.

In his other games against weaker competition........Quinn completed 180/265 passes (68%) and also averaged 8.3 yards per attempt. UNC, Stanford, MSU, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Purdue surely didn't resemble good football teams.

Quote:
he looked great in the USC game last year

19-35 (54%).............. for 264 yards (7.5 yards per attempt) ........1 TD, 1 INT.......and a QB rating of only 76.4.

I wouldn't call that a GREAT game.

Loooking back at 2005..........the Irish played 3 very solid teams in USC, U of M, and USC.............and a bunch of other middle-of-the-pack teams.

In those 3 tougher games...... Quinn also struggled.

Completed 67 of 110 (61%)......which isn't all that bad, BUT.......again......he averaged only 6.3 yards per attempt.

Only 3 of his 32 TD passes came against these 3 teams..............while 15 of his 32 TDs came in the games against BYU, MSU, and Navy!!!

His QB ratings were 96.5 against U of M, 76.4 against USC, and 82.3 against OSU.

I think Quinn's college career was similar to Joey Harrington's career at Oregon.

He put up some decent numbers against crappy defense, but he really didin't have a high completion percentage against good teams. Not only that......but Quinn relied on check-downs and screen passes against good defense because he didn't have enough accuracy to throw downfield through "windows" in coverage. Weis helped Quinn by spreading the field out more and allowing him to make easy throws against the 3rd or 4th CBs on college teams. That won't be as easy to do at the NFL level.

joercky
09-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Quinn by far. Stronger arm did more with less talent.

Jughead10
09-13-2007, 08:05 AM
I think it is Quinn and by a fairly decent margin. You wanna talk about Quinn never being able to beat the big teams. Brohm pads his numbers and completion percentage in a spread offense against the under belly of the Big East and non BCS conference teams. I think Brohm will be good in a certain offense but he is no where near Quinn in terms of arm strength, physical ability, and leadership in my opinion. One can also count on Brohm's accuracy not even being as close to it is in Louisville when he enters the NFL.

Finsfan79
09-13-2007, 08:53 AM
brohm is whom I wanted the fins to take last year

The Legend
09-13-2007, 09:11 AM
seems my vote broke the 50/50

Mr. Stiller
09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
So... More or less you are saying he just looks like Palmer?

30-30. This is much closer than I thought.

Yeah, His frame/pocket presence..

But I can see the Tom Brady comparison some made earlier.

etk
09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think this is the first time this argument has been brought up, but I'll sum it up in a nutshell: The only thing category where I give an edge to Quinn is mobility.

JoeMontainya
09-13-2007, 05:38 PM

But Brohm i like him hi

And if people wanted Joe Montana that bad would they have taken him in the first round? Give me a break, more QB's are bust at the #1 overall pick than they are where Quinn was selected.

"And look what Pittsburgh did to your offensive line last week. Is he going to make the OL better?"

YES he will obviously make the OL better that was a STUPID quetion. Charlie Frye got sacked 5 times in 18 minutes of play. When Derek Anderson came in the game, he was sacked once the rest of the game. So YES certain QB's DO make the OL better.

You overanalyze so much it isnt even funny. Quinn could throw a ball 75 yards in the air and you would say that Jamarcus can throw 85. Does it make him worse? Hell no! What QB in this league will get that much time to throw anyways?

If Quinn throws into triple coverage and actually completes it you say "it was to risky and should have been picked off in the NFL". Give me a break.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-13-2007, 05:49 PM
It's definately Brian Brohm.

Jonny
09-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Quinn was way overrated because he went to ND. He fell hard in the draft. Brohm is a top 5 pick. I'll trust the NFL scouts.

bored of education
09-14-2007, 07:03 AM
And if people wanted Joe Montana that bad would they have taken him in the first round? Give me a break, more QB's are bust at the #1 overall pick than they are where Quinn was selected.

"And look what Pittsburgh did to your offensive line last week. Is he going to make the OL better?"

YES he will obviously make the OL better that was a STUPID quetion. Charlie Frye got sacked 5 times in 18 minutes of play. When Derek Anderson came in the game, he was sacked once the rest of the game. So YES certain QB's DO make the OL better.

You overanalyze so much it isnt even funny. Quinn could throw a ball 75 yards in the air and you would say that Jamarcus can throw 85. Does it make him worse? Hell no! What QB in this league will get that much time to throw anyways?

If Quinn throws into triple coverage and actually completes it you say "it was to risky and should have been picked off in the NFL". Give me a break.

One. Don't put words in my mouth.
I never said anything in regards to arm strength. If I was to say something of that nature is that from 30 yeards in the time of release to the time it touches receivers hands..JR kills Quinn. The 'zip' on the ball and dead on accuracy from that distance is where arm strength plays a role. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THROWING DEEP. Did I say anything aobut triple coverage?

So who is over analyzing? Who is assuming things that I never typed?

Two.
In regards to where he was selected. It's easy to say thingsabout QB's drafted late AFTER THE FACT. But the fact is NFL scouts say flaws proving this kid was not worthy of risking a 1st round draft pick on him. That says something NOW. More than what can be said AFTER THE FACT..because after something happens everyone becomes an 'I told you so'. Hype? I don't buy into BQ's hype or lack thereof.

draftguru151
09-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Quinn was way overrated because he went to ND. He fell hard in the draft. Brohm is a top 5 pick. I'll trust the NFL scouts.

Because everyone didn't say Quinn was a top pick before the season. :/

Addict
09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Because everyone didn't say Quinn was a top pick before the season. :/

exactly, it was just nitpicking that brought Quinn down, he's not as bad as the scouts (and JR fans) made him look.

phunnypharm
09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
he is no where near Quinn in terms of arm strength, physical ability, and leadership in my opinion. One can also count on [/b]Brohm's accuracy[/b] not even being as close to it is in Louisville when he enters the NFL.

#1........Brady Quinn does not have a cannon.

One of the biggest knocks on Quinn by pro scouts is that he doesn't have a great arm. It is strong enough provided that he is accurate........but that is no given considering that he struggled frequently with relatively easy downfield throws in college. If Charlie Weis couldn't fix his accuracy in 2 years at Notre Dame with relatively sound mechanics, you have to wonder IF it will EVER improve enough to be a true "franchise" QB.

Brohm doesn't have a "JaMarcus"-like arm either.......but it is stronger than Leinart's and likely just as strong as Quinn's. There isn't a throw that Brohm can't make, so the arm strength issue is MUCH less important than accuracy.

#2........Brohm's accuracy isn't being judged on his completion percentage. I don't go simply on stats that many people seem to want to rely on. If you watch them play enough, and watch specific throws in detail, you will see that Brohm throws down the field with MUCH BETTER accuracy than Quinn ever hoped to at Notre Dame. As I mentioned earlier, ESPN showed numerous plays in which Quinn had time to step into his throw, but missed WRs downfield. On the other hand......Louisville may create more opportunites for Brohm to throw deeper balls, but he also doesn't miss many of them. More importantly, Brohm often hits his WRs perfectly in stride allowing for more YAC.

Brohm pads his numbers and completion percentage in a spread offense

And Quinn didn't???

Notre Dame used a ton of 3 WR sets to help spread the field. They may have used a "spread" set more often than Louisville did last year, since Petrino liked to used 2 TEs and 2WRs sets.

The difference is that Brohm throws MANY more passes downfield than Quinn did. In the Sugar Bowl, I actually TIVO'd the game and watched it a 2nd time. Well over 50% of Quinn's completions were on screens or quick hitches to the WRs within 5 yards of the L.O.S.

Who padded stats?

KCJ58
09-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Brady Quinn

toonsterwu
09-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I like Quinn better than Brohm as well ... although it's close. I think Brohm is quite overhyped as a pro prospect. Now, I'm not saying he's bad ... but I don't see this top 5 draft pick talent that a lot of people seem to voice. I've said all along (that said, I don't post much anymore), for my money, the best QB prospect, at least, going into the season (haven't watched much football this year), was Andre Woodson, and nothing I've read, or the snippets I've seen, have changed my mind on that.

BuddyCHRIST
09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Brohm's build is nothing like Palmer. Palmer is a legit 6'5" while Brohm is more 6'3" not to mention Palmer is alot heavier and has a much stronger build.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-15-2007, 11:41 PM
As for your last 5 years?

2003: Carson Palmer
2004: Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers
2005: Alex Smith (Made Utah what it was that year), Jason Campbell
2006: Vince Young? He Led his Texas to the NC and he led them over the heavily favored USC Trojans.

You can even add Cutler to the list for 06. He didn't do it in college so much, cuz he was with Vandy(although the 2OT game with UF was something), but in the NFL already in his 6 career starts has lead three game-winning, go ahead, or tying drives in the 4th Q.

phunnypharm
09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
[quote]Brohm's build is nothing like Palmer. Palmer is a legit 6'5" while Brohm is more 6'3" not to mention Palmer is alot heavier and has a much stronger build.[/b]

Palmer is 6'5" tall and 230 pounds.
http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6337
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6337

Brohm is 6'4" tall and 228 pounds.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164609
http://www.brianbrohmonline.com/
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/522786

I don't when 2 pounds is ever considered "much heavier"...........and since Brohm is an inch shorter, I don't know that Palmer's "build" is "much stronger" either.

toonsterwu
09-16-2007, 11:30 AM
[quote]Brohm's build is nothing like Palmer. Palmer is a legit 6'5" while Brohm is more 6'3" not to mention Palmer is alot heavier and has a much stronger build.[/b]

Palmer is 6'5" tall and 230 pounds.
http://www.nfl.com/players/carsonpalmer/profile?id=PAL249055
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6337
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6337

Brohm is 6'4" tall and 228 pounds.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164609
http://www.brianbrohmonline.com/
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/522786

I don't when 2 pounds is ever considered "much heavier"...........and since Brohm is an inch shorter, I don't know that Palmer's "build" is "much stronger" either.

Palmer, though, is probably a better athlete, at least, at the same stage. I think he was a bit more mobile, and I think Palmer threw a significantly better deep ball. And with Palmer, the one thing you know is he can adapt ... as he had so many changes. Brohm ... we don't know yet, especially considering the offensives he's run have been, well, heavily systematic in some respects.

That said, I was never that big on build differentiation. He may be about the same as Palmer, and that was the discussion ... so I dunno.

BuddyCHRIST
09-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Palmer is not 230, he's atleast 240. Those weights are never correct. Anyways its not a big deal but just looking at them side by side, I don't see the build comparison at all.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/08/fantasyfootball/image/carsonpalmer.jpg

http://www.accrofoot.com/uploads/brohm.jpg