PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Injury Issue question

M
09-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Does a correlation exist between the high volume of injuries in the first week and the "kinder gentler" pre-season training camps?

terribletowel39
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
i don't know about everyone else's TC but the steelers was tougher than it usually is. so i voted no.

nobodyinparticular
09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure how a tougher training camp would have kept Eli Manning or Chad Pennington off the trainers' table after they were slammed to the ground. Just my personal opinion though...

M
09-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I am sorry, I did not realize that I need to clarify this but apparently I need to clarify this. Many of the injuries in week 1 were clearly not a result of training camp (ex. Manning being slammed to ground, Pennington, broken ankle when lineman rolled up from behind on by a player etc - interestingly you choose the two most obvious examples as a poor representative sampling to try to make your point).

Many of these injuries were a result of not being in game shape. . . hamstring, spinal cord (comentators were noting that he did drop his head before he hit Hixon and proper tackling form used to be emphasized in one-on-one tackling when they were practiced in the training camps), MCL, sprined ankles, hip flexors, adductors and abductors, shoulders and arms from incorrect position when taking a hit, shoulders from missing a tackle and grabbing player causing hyper-extensions. Ankles and achillies from inadequate flexibility, and pre-mature cramping.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/injuries

terribletowel39
09-13-2007, 12:20 AM
i don't know about everyone else's TC but the steelers was tougher than it usually is. so i voted no.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Skins was much harder yet Jansen is a gone for the year, there could be a slight correlation but for the most part, injuries are freak random occurrences.

skinzzfan25
09-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Skins was much harder yet Jansen is a gone for the year, there could be a slight correlation but for the most part, injuries are freak random occurrences.

Yeah, it's not like he could prevent somebody rolling up onto his ankle. Injuries more like tweaked hammys or pulled groins, later in the year, would have a more direct correlation to a hard camp.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah, it's not like he could prevent somebody rolling up onto his ankle. Injuries more like tweaked hammys or pulled groins, later in the year, would have a more direct correlation to a hard camp.

Or what I think he's suggesting is that more injuries come from lighter camps.