PDA

View Full Version : Les Miles to Michigan talk.

ThEvIcTR
09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
I just wanted to get the opinion of some LSU fans about what they think of this current situation. I also feel terrible that Les Miles is getting asked these questions during the season. But in all reality i hope he says **** it to LSU and comes home.

Michigan
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Not sure I want him, but word is that there's a 90% chance that Miles is gone if he gets offered the Michigan job. Most LSU fans on the Scout board agree and are already talking about possible replacements for Miles (Pelini likely). It's really a matter of how much he loves LSU, which is a lot, and how much he wants to return to his alma mater, which is probably even more.

Personally, I'd prefer Tedford or Mike Trgovac.

09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
the hometown factor is the only reason id say les miles would leave LSU for michigan who are a mess rite now

alca1992
09-13-2007, 04:08 PM
i wouldnt do it i think lsu is a much better school and probaly will get alot of more recruits than michigan. but i hope he takes it cause lsu will be 2nd to florida

Michigan
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
the hometown factor is the only reason id say les miles would leave LSU for michigan who are a mess rite now

Miles was born in Ohio.

LSUALUM99
09-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, the rumor around LSU fans is that Les will most likely take the Michigan job if Carr isn't somehow fired during the season (don't think he will be since Michigan hasn't done that before).

Personally, (and I'm notably biased) I think the LSU job is just as good as any job in the country. The fan base is one of the best in the country, the stadium is a top 10 in terms of seating, the recruiting is excellent, the conference is the best, and the SEC makes the most money per school for football (at least for the last 4 years they have, not sure about before that). I don't think leaving LSU for UofM is a 'promotion' but he did play for UofM and coach there two different times under Bo.

I think he's a pretty good coach and an excellent recruiter so I don't want him to go. That being said, I'm not putting him in the Stever Spurrier (I hate but respect him as a college coach), Urban Meyer (best coach in the country in my opinion) or Pete Carroll (turned around that program to make it a dynasty status program again) league either.

VY10
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
i wouldnt do it i think lsu is a much better school and probaly will get alot of more recruits than michigan. but i hope he takes it cause lsu will be 2nd to florida

Did you just say LSU is a much better school than Michigan!!!!!

Dear lord.

VY10
09-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I think he's a pretty good coach and an excellent recruiter so I don't want him to go. That being said, I'm not putting him in the Stever Spurrier (I hate but respect him as a college coach), Urban Meyer (best coach in the country in my opinion) or Pete Carroll (turned around that program to make it a dynasty status program again) league either.

What about Nick Saban?.... Like the guy that turned LSWho into LSU.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't think he wants to go anywhere, including Michigan. I wouldn't be shocked, but he's in a great situation right now. I know for sure that he wouldn't go anywhere but Michigan, but we'll see. If he wants to go, he goes. Give me Bo Pelini or Derek Dooley and I'll be quite happy.

LSUALUM99
09-13-2007, 08:52 PM
What about Nick Saban?.... Like the guy that turned LSWho into LSU.

Lets be honest, LSU has never been LSWHO. LSU has multiple national championships, a Heisman Trophy winner, and competes in the best conference. LSU has a more storied tradition than UofF or Miami. That being said, Saban did bring LSU back to elite status as of late.

But I still think Spurrier, Meyer and Carroll are better coaches than Saban. Nick Saban is an excellent coach and is better than Les Miles though.

DChess
09-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Miles was born in Ohio.

state of champions

Turtlepower
09-13-2007, 09:15 PM
state of champions

The Florida Gators beg to differ with that opinion.

OhioState
09-14-2007, 06:17 AM
The Florida Gators beg to differ with that opinion.

no they don't, urban meyer is an ohio boy

Sniper
09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
no they don't, urban meyer is an ohio boy

Good thing Urban Meyer was the only person that mattered on that team :rolleyes: And I'm assuming we're only counting football in this discussion, because Al Horford and Co. might disagree with you. Ohio: State of Runner-Ups (Ohio State football/hoops, Cavs etc...)

Back on topic, I do think LSU is more of a win-now job and it would seem foolish to leave a top 10 school for a program that appears in shambles. But you can never discount the whole "I want to coach at my alma mater and restore it to glory" factor. Mind you, we haven't slipped that far coming off a 11-2 season and Rose Bowl appearance and now these two slop shows, but you get my point. Hopefully if he gets the job, there's a possibility that we can open up a recruiting pipeline down South.

TigerBait45
09-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Hes a really good recruiter and a solid coach, but it really wouldn't hurt me to see Bo Pelini as LSUs head coach.

I like Les a lot, but hes not an elite coach. I'd imagine if Michigan offered him the job he'd take it. He seems very happy at LSU but his heart is probably in Michigan. I can't hold that against him though..its reasonable.

And a note on Nick Saban..hes an excellent recruiter but I never found him to be that great a coach. He'd consistenly show up with teams that weren't prepared to play and lost a ton of games he shouldn't have. Even in the national championship year they lost a game they should've won. As a coach, I'd take Les Miles. As a recruiter, I'd take Nick Saban.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey LSUALUM and TigerBait... if Miles were to leave, how would you guys feel about the guy I mentioned before, Derek Dooley? He was here during all of Saban's years, and I believe he was the recruiting coordinator for 2 of those years, so I'd imagine he knows how to recruit. Being the son of an all-time great college coach I'm sure his knowledge of the game is pretty darn good... and you know he's a great offensive mind based on the way LA Tech went toe-to-toe with Hawaii's juggernaut offense. The biggest knock on Dooley (and it IS a big one) is his lack of head coaching experience, but if he's able to turn around that god-awful Tech team from a year ago in just one season, I think he's worth a look. I'll be keeping an eye on Tech's season. Thoughts, Tiger fans?

keylime_5
09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
If Carr leaves then Miles is in.

TigerBait45
09-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't mind Dooley at all, but I think a guy like Bo Pelini would be higher up on my list. I'd imagine Dooley's pedigree makes him a pretty attractive candidate for a lot of jobs though.

I just love Bo more than anything, I think. That guy is intense.

We'll just have to wait it out I suppose.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't mind Dooley at all, but I think a guy like Bo Pelini would be higher up on my list. I'd imagine Dooley's pedigree makes him a pretty attractive candidate for a lot of jobs though.

I just love Bo more than anything, I think. That guy is intense.

We'll just have to wait it out I suppose.

Ideally, whoever we hire in the event of Miles leaving will be able to keep Bo on board as defensive coordinator. I'd probably prefer Dooley as head coach with Pelini as defensive coordinator over Pelini as HC and a new DC. I'd like to keep Bo's focus 100% on the defensive side of the ball.

TigerBait45
09-14-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think you can count on that though. Someone is gonna give him a head coaching job sooner rather than later.

LonghornsLegend
09-15-2007, 12:08 AM
well if miles really wants to coach at UM, then you should ask yourself if he would pass up the possibility of going now? if not when could he get another chance for the job to be open?

if he really wants to coach at michigan, i think he takes the job now because its not a job that changes that often, michigan could find a coach for the next 10 years, and miles knows that...he's not gonna sound interested, which is what they all do for the sake of their team, but he has a decision to make afterwards and if he values michigan like that he will jump on it after the season