PDA

View Full Version : Erin Henderson

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
We all love physical freaks, players who produce, and players who have familiar names so I'm surprised no talk about Erin Henderson who should be a legit draft prospect. Only a junior he could leave early especially since he was a redshirt. He is probably most known for being EJ's brother, but as solid as EJ is, Erin is on a whole nother level when we are comparing them as prospects. All the hype goes to the Miami players like Calais, Kenny Philips, some Clemson and FSU guys, Chris Long, and the Tech LB's but IMO Henderson is the premier defensive player in the NFL and could go top 10 when he declares, whenever that is. He really flies under the radar for what he brings. First off the freakish physical numbers. Henderson is a 6-3"" 236 pound linebacker. He first came to college park as a QB so that tells you the type of athleticism that he possessed in high school and now college. In terms of combine numbers he should be one of those typical Maryland freaks like Vernon Davis. Last year he was a top lifter on the team as the highest lifting backer with a bench press of 365 pounds. He also runs like a safety and although his timed 40 is 4.58 I can easily see him running sub 4.5 in the mid 4.4's. He's that much of a freak. And while all of those numbers are great it's the play that's most important. To put it in simple terms he is a tackling machine just like EJ was but unlike EJ Erin has world class athleticism. He tackles like Ray Lewis and runs like Ed Reed, which allows him to fly around the field making tackles, as well as perform well in coverage. Last year in his first year starting he was amazing. He was 2nd team all ACC 2nd in the ACC and 31st in the nation in tackles per game at 8.8. He also was 2nd in the acc in forced fumbles. In addition he had multiple 10+ tackle games including a monstrous game with 17 tackles. Finished the season with 114 tackles. He in addition became the vocal leader of the defense. I just think he has everything you look for in a linebacker. An active runstopper who plays with a high motor and passion makes tackles all over the field, and he is also good in coverage and runs like a safety. He came to the school on the light side but IMO even now he is at a perfect playing weight and really is a gym rat, so be sure to check him out tonight on the national stage against Slaton, and White of West Virginia. His number is 1 so look out to hear his name all night. He has 20 tackles so far this season in 2 games.

bored of education
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Interesting read. I'll keep my eye out. Thanks

Green Bay Scat
09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
looks like im not the only guy on the balls of an underrated play

GO EARL BENNETT

Vikes99ej
09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I hope the Vikings get him!

draftguru151
09-13-2007, 06:27 PM
He's not my #1 junior OLB for no reason. ;)

Can't wait to watch what him and Dre Moore can do tonight.

neko4
09-13-2007, 06:31 PM
i'll be pissed if the vi-queens get him. EJ and Erin would be too dangerous and id hate to see another Terp go to Minny

etk
09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
There are a lot of great Senior LBs to look forward to in the draft already, but I can see him competing with Rivers, Wheeler & Adibi for the "most athletic" designation among the better prospects of this class. Right now he's in the same boat as Patrick Willis because he's a tackling machine for a lesser-known program in a major conference. It would be interesting to see him in a setting like the Senior Bowl where he would have the chance to prove how dominant he is with other stars around to steal the spotlight (like Willis did), but he's only a Junior.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
It's always tough against Slaton cause since Maryland dropped his scholarship which is why he went to West Virginia, he runs with a chip on his shoulder every time he goes up against them.

SuperKevin
09-13-2007, 06:41 PM
It's always tough against Slaton cause since Maryland dropped his scholarship which is why he went to West Virginia, he runs with a chip on his shoulder every time he goes up against them.

i love how they bring that up every year and Ralph Friedgen always admits it was the biggest mistake he's made

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Bleh Keon Lattimore is a beast and Lance Ball is also very good, Maryland would win the ACC running away if they only had a QB, because Derrius Heyward-Bey is probably the top wideout in the conference, also their secondary is spotty at best. Damn you Josh Portis for being an idiot and suspended for the year.

SuperKevin
09-13-2007, 06:45 PM
i went to the WVU/Maryland game 2 years ago when it was at Byrd Stadium and i remember how mad I was because Maryland had the game won but blew it with 2 fumbles in the 2nd half. Also remember that West Virginia started the game with Bednarik but Pat White came in and played a majority of the 2nd half. Slaton didn't touch the ball that game as a majority of the carries went to Jason Colson

Don Vito
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
He looks out of position on most plays tonight, he can certainly run though.

fenikz
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
i had him as a 1st rounder in my mock draft

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2007, 08:18 PM

But he's made a ton of plays on White behind the line of scrimmage, it's hard to stay in position when you have to play both White and Slaton evenly.

bored of education
09-13-2007, 10:32 PM
He was out of position because he had to make too many plays

my parlay won me i think 66 bucks tonight

Maryland +17, Air Force +8 and Maryland/WVu under 62!!!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Henderson probably had atleast 15 tackles last night, and the defense as a whole were great except for all the damn big plays, but I have never seen someone hold WVU to that many negative rushing plays, they had like 12 negative rushing plays.

phunnypharm
09-14-2007, 11:03 AM

I saw the Noel Devine run in the 3rd quarter where he ran to Henderson's side of the field. Henderson did a decent job of shedding the RG who got out to the 2nd level......but Devine had a ton of room to make a cut away from Henderson b/c the Other LB was blown away by the LG and didn't get any pursuit. Also......the Safeties were NOWHERE to be found on that play.

Didn't get to see the 1st half tough.......dang it.

BTW...........Noel Devine later made a cut that was the closest thing to a Barry Sanders-like move I have seen. I watched Barry every Sunday, and I hate comparisons to Barry..........but Devine made a start-stop-sideways hop-accelerate move that only Barry could do.

Amazing!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Also all of West Virginia's big running plays were on like 3rd and 11's in which Maryland was ready for the pass and only had 2 backers, if you are a LB and Steve Slaton gets a whole half of a field to make a move really could any LB in the world be able to stop him.

etk
09-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I only saw the first half but Henderson looked very cautious in that game. I don't blame him for the most part because you have to wait for plays to develop against WVU but they broke a lot of run plays early on because of it. There were a few plays where he shot through the line and that's when he hit White in the backfield, but other than that he was timid in attacking the ball and paid the price as they ran around him. His athleticism was not overly impressive either, he looked tired like his brother.

skinzzfan25
09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Also all of West Virginia's big running plays were on like 3rd and 11's in which Maryland was ready for the pass and only had 2 backers, if you are a LB and Steve Slaton gets a whole half of a field to make a move really could any LB in the world be able to stop him.

That ticked me off all night. Slaton with room is deadly.

ChefMike
09-15-2007, 07:08 AM
Looked tired ? Erin looked tired, because he was all over the place making plays most of the game. He is like Ghetto said... a gym rat I grew up near him and saw him play in HS and I also saw his brother play too as he was just a few years behind me in HS when he was at Aberdeen HS (Where Cal Ripken also went to HS) EJ had more natural LB instincts because he played there is entire career. Erin on the other hand has always played on Offense and when he did play Def he was playing FS so you are watching a player who has the Intelligence on the field of a QB and the instincts right now of someone who has played in the secondary his entire career. Give him at the end of this season to gain more experience at LB and you will see a bonifide LB prospect worthy of a 1st rd pick next year in the draft. Erin could come back to try and win an ACC title next year Maryland has a really good incoming freshman class that has some talent that can play right away along we a Transfer from USC that plays FS.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2007, 08:55 AM
I only saw the first half but Henderson looked very cautious in that game. I don't blame him for the most part because you have to wait for plays to develop against WVU but they broke a lot of run plays early on because of it. There were a few plays where he shot through the line and that's when he hit White in the backfield, but other than that he was timid in attacking the ball and paid the price as they ran around him. His athleticism was not overly impressive either, he looked tired like his brother.

Yeah I don't agree at all can't knock his athleticism because he is one of the most naturally fluid LB's you'll ever see, looks like a RB running out there.

BuckNaked
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM

Our LB's would actually be really good with both Hendersons and Greenway.

etk
09-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Yeah I don't agree at all can't knock his athleticism because he is one of the most naturally fluid LB's you'll ever see, looks like a RB running out there.

I know he's a good athlete and all because he looked the part as a sophomore but in this past game he didn't seem to have the speed to chase plays to the outside. I also saw some plays where he didn't change direction on cut-backs and failed to reach the ballcarrier. He's a good athlete, but not really what I'd look for in a WLB unless I was the Bears. He will probably end up as an MLB like his brother when he reaches the pros.

Sniper
09-16-2007, 03:08 PM
The name was familiar and then I sat down and watched the Maryland/WVU game. This guy is a stud. He plays hard, fast, tackles well, reads the play well. I really like him a lot and they were calling his name the entire game. Good player.

neko4
09-16-2007, 04:24 PM
The name was familiar and then I sat down and watched the Maryland/WVU game. This guy is a stud. He plays hard, fast, tackles well, reads the play well. I really like him a lot and they were calling his name the entire game. Good player.
too bad he's got no help it seems, Dre Moore is good, but thats about it

Number 10
09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Something we actually agree on Ghetto....Reminds me a bit of Derrick Johnson/DJ Williams.

mikehop05
09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
yeah i love this guy, as obvious by my sig

he also graduates in dec., so unless he pulls a leinart and takes ballroom dance then he will prolly go pro