PDA

View Full Version : Is the Big Ten the Worst BCS conference in the country?

DeathbyStat
09-15-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm a Big Ten fan and Penn State season ticket holder and I would say yes.

NittanyLion2k7
09-15-2007, 07:31 PM
You're certainly no Penn State fan. Penn State has a very good team this year and its looking like 2005... at this point the favorites for a BIg Ten BCS team is between PSU and Wiconsion... and Penn State has a solid shot at going undefeated.

DeathbyStat
09-15-2007, 07:33 PM
You're certainly no Penn State fan. Penn State has a very good team this year and its looking like 2005... at this point the favorites for a BIg Ten BCS team is between PSU and Wiconsion... and Penn State has a solid shot at going undefeated.

Were you at the game today?....if they play that way against Michigan we will get stomped.

NittanyLion2k7
09-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Michigan will lose next week. THey are in no shape to go up against Penn State. As of right now, Penn State has the best defense in the Big Ten and arguably one of hte best in the nation. Defense still can win games.

DeathbyStat
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Michigan will lose next week. THey are in no shape to go up against Penn State. As of right now, Penn State has the best defense in the Big Ten and arguably one of hte best in the nation. Defense still can win games.

Well that maybe true if the O-line decides to BLOCK SOMEBODY!

Michigan
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry, Big East still exists...

OSU and PSU seem like the top teams, while Michigan, Wisconsin, MSU, Illinois, and Purdue form a solid middle tier. It's gonna another one of those "6-2 wins the big ten years"

wiscbadgerfootball
09-15-2007, 07:50 PM
how is Wisconsin a middle tier with Michigan.. they're 3-0!

neko4
09-15-2007, 07:52 PM
i say its just a bit of a bad year.
Otherwise its
SEC
Big10
Pac10
ACC/Big12
Big East
WAC/MAC
MWC
ConfUSA
Sun Belt

Hope i didnt start a huge debate :)

Michigan
09-15-2007, 07:54 PM
how is Wisconsin a middle tier with Michigan.. they're 3-0!

A pretty ugly 3-0 though.

P-L
09-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I think the ACC is worse.

DeathbyStat
Otherwise its
SEC
Big10
Pac10
ACC/Big12
Big East
WAC/MAC
MWC
ConfUSA
Sun Belt

You may be right but this year i think you need to put the big ten down a few spots.

You might make the argument that the Big 12 and the ACC are worse though

doingthisinsteadofwork
The only team I think thats deserves a top 15 ranking in the Big Ten is Winsconsin.

Michigan
09-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Otherwise its
SEC
Big10
Pac10
ACC/Big12
Big East
WAC/MAC
MWC
ConfUSA
Sun Belt

You really think the MAC is the 7/8th best conference? There once was a time when Phil Steele didn't even cover the MAC in his magazine because he felt they were not up to the calibur of the other 1-A conferences. Not much has changed since then.

wiscbadgerfootball
09-15-2007, 08:01 PM

not really... the defense was pretty skeptical but 2 of them were pretty convincing victories and UNLV is probably a better team then they are given credit for.. I don't see how you can put them far behind those two as to say they have no shot at winning when they are 3-0

Michigan
09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
not really... the defense was pretty skeptical but 2 of them were pretty convincing victories and UNLV is probably a better team then they are given credit for.. I don't see how you can put them far behind those two as to say they have no shot at winning when they are 3-0

I didn't say they had no shot at winning, because they can easily get the 6-2 that i feel will win the Big 10. I simply said PSU and OSU look like the best teams in the Big Ten after 3 weeks. Call me unimpressed by the UNLV game and the 21-21 first half against Citadel.

bearsfan_51
09-15-2007, 08:07 PM
The ACC is awful this year. I'd take the Big 12, Big East, and Big Ten over them.

BrownsTown
09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
The worst conference is ACC by so much it's not even funny.

DeathbyStat
09-15-2007, 08:10 PM
The ACC is awful this year. I'd take the Big 12, Big East, and Big Ten over them.

I think maybe i was wrong the ACC is the worst conference followed by the Big Ten

wiscbadgerfootball
09-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I didn't say they had no shot at winning, because they can easily get the 6-2 that i feel will win the Big 10. I simply said PSU and OSU look like the best teams in the Big Ten after 3 weeks. Call me unimpressed by the UNLV game and the 21-21 first half against Citadel.

a win is a win.. I don't care if Wisconsin plays like crap every game as long as they win. But OSU and PSU haven't overly impressed me.

BrownsTown
09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
a win is a win.. I don't care if Wisconsin plays like crap every game as long as they win. But OSU and PSU haven't overly impressed me.

Someone didn't watch the second half of the OSU-Washington game...

MNRunLeft
09-15-2007, 10:55 PM
The Big Ten has been overrated the last couple of seasons, we all saw it last year with the way Ohio State and Michigan were blown out in their bowl games last season after being 1 and 2 in the polls with only a couple weeks left in the season. The Big Ten doesn't have the national championship contender this season that they have in the past and as a result they just don't look like they have in the past. Most thought the Big Ten was one of the better if not the best conference in college football the past few seasons, it's a conference full of mid tier bowl contenders and non bowl teams, of all the BCS conferences I feel the Big Ten is the least likely to get 2 teams into the BCS.

P-L
09-15-2007, 10:57 PM
The Big Ten has been overrated the last couple of seasons, we all saw it last year with the way Ohio State and Michigan were blown out in their bowl games last season after being 1 and 2 in the polls with only a couple weeks left in the season. The Big Ten doesn't have the national championship contender this season that they have in the past and as a result they just don't look like they have in the past. Most thought the Big Ten was one of the better if not the best conference in college football the past few seasons, it's a conference full of mid tier bowl contenders and non bowl teams, of all the BCS conferences I feel the Big Ten is the least likely to get 2 teams into the BCS.

Which two ACC teams are going to get into BCS Bowls before two Big Ten teams get there?

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Wisconsins problem is that they play at the level their oppenent which is bad and good. ACC gets my vote for worst confrence, no team in their is a powerhouse anymore.

yodabear
09-15-2007, 11:03 PM

No such thing as an ugly 3-0, a win is a win gentleman, a win is a win.

Basileus777
09-15-2007, 11:04 PM
The ACC is still worse, but other than the ACC the Big 10 is the weakest BCS conference.

GB12
09-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Wisconsins problem is that they play at the level their oppenent which is bad and good. ACC gets my vote for worst confrence, no team in their is a powerhouse anymore.
Yeah, we did that all of last year too. We let the other team set the pace and then match them. It's a problem that shoulf be fixed, but hey we do have the nation's longest win streak so something's working.

HoopsDemon12
09-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I think the ACC is worse.

Ya i would agree.. there really isnt anyone in there that impresses me.. at all

BerninWI
09-16-2007, 04:46 PM
The Big Ten has the 2nd best OOC record of any conference in college football thus far. We are also 5-4 against other major conferences from my calculations.

While I don't think the Big Ten should be lauded by the pundits necessarily, I think the level of criticism is unfair. That's because Michigan and OSU are the face of the conference, and if one struggles, it's automatically assumed it's a "down year". Especially if they lose to a D-2 school. Then they start to fixate on our other minor flaws like the Badgers not blowing out teams or Minnesota losing to scrubs. Then while their attention is diverted they don't notice as much how:

A Pac 10 top team like UCLA got obliterated by a mid major. How Oregon State got drubbed by Cincinnati. Arizona losing to New Mexico. Cal barely beating Colorado State. Or losing handily against 2 of 3 teams in the crappy Big Ten.

Or how Oklahoma State of the Big 12 got drubbed by Troy. Texas narrowly defeated a couple of mid majors. Iowa St. lost to Northern Iowa and Kent State. TAMU needing OT at home to beat Fresno State. Nebraska getting thumped at home by USC.

How about Virginia of the ACC getting throttled by Wyoming. NC St. beaten by Central Florida. UNC by ECU. Duke by UCONN. Maryland, Va Tech, and Miami getting destroyed by: West Virginia, LSU, and Oklahoma; respectively. That's in the few OOC games the ACC has actually played.

And don't forget mighty Louisville striking out against Kentucky. West Virginia scuffling with Marshall. Syracuse being the worst team in all of D1. Being 0-3 against the crappy Big 10. And that's in the few OOC opportunities they've had.

I do believe there's a double standard amongst the college football public regarding the Big Ten v. just about every other conference.

So to answer the question, are they the worst? Far from it. There are multiple major conferences worse than the Big Ten. But they aren't the best either. That would probably be the SEC. However when they've played Wisconsin recently, SEC stood for Speed Easily Contained :)

megansett56BC
09-16-2007, 06:09 PM
ACC is definitely weak right now. no question about it, but i can't see VT, miami and FSU staying down for much longer... it will be back in a few years, but no doubt it is bad this year.

keylime_5
09-16-2007, 08:30 PM
ACC isn't as good, neither is the Big East. Big Ten's not that good right now though, definitely a down year as compared to the past few years and beyond. (2006 they were top heavy, OSU/UM/UW were all good teams...this year OSU/UW/PSU are decent but not as good as the top teams of 06)