PDA

View Full Version : *Week 2 Discussion*

bmoreravens5289
09-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Thank you Ray Lewis...thank you

Troj2man
09-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Ray saved the day! Very questionable play calling towards the end of the game from Billick. Looks like we may have lost Demetrius Williams because of it.

Kyle Boller played a very good game. Made key throws and put 14 points on the board for us. It's good to know that we have a back-up who can step in and not miss a beat if Mcnair is injured or struggling.

AlexDown
09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Great game guys. I knew it would be a struggle for the Jets to pull this win out. Good luck the rest of the way.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Dawan is a top 5 safety in terms of run stopping and rushing the passer but was awful in coverage, felt like I was watching Will Demps back there again, but Cotchery is a good wideout.

Ravens1991
09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Boller played good, I wish we would have called the plays we called tonight for McNair last week and vice versa(that probably didnt make any sense o well).

EdReedUnstoppable
09-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Great game guys. I knew it would be a struggle for the Jets to pull this win out. Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks dude, good luck to the Jets the rest of the way.

TimD
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Great game. Even though it was one sided until the 4th quarter, I enjoyed the entire game, because the Ravens D is just fun to watch. I hope that Suggs is wearing a Jets uni next year because he is just flat out dominant. Although our defense isn't fantastic I think Boller proved he has potential. Anyways good game.

YouNeverKnow
09-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Pretty dominating 3/4 of the game, but the Ravens really need to get that killer instinct on offense and finish off games, not just trying to throw on 1st down with 3 minutes left. Plus Ryan needs to keep attacking in the fourth with a lead (or at least it seemed that he slacked off his blitzing, could have been just a lack of push with Pryce out which would scare me more)

Billick should have just taken the three straight runs to use the Jets time outs and to give the defense a breather, let the oline run block and McGahee earn some tough money.

Biggest problem on defense was the tackling by the secondary in the fourth quarter. Need to wrap them up rather then trying to knock them out.

Boller had a good game, made some great plays but throws off his back foot still too much relying on his arm to get it there. Plus he threw to high on a few balls, exposing Williams to high risk situations. Billick called a good game though letting Kyle hit some easy short throws and get comfortable back there. Did a good job of feeling the rush as well.

Heap was outstanding, especially on his catch down field when he was split out wide, and of course his one handed toe tapper in the end zone. Mason turned in a solid game as well converting a nice third down.

dcarey20
09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
I'll just give a brief overview of offense, defense, and special teams. I was thrilled with how the game was going through the first 3 quarters. But that last quarter was terrible. The game should have never been that close. It seems like we got a bit too comfortable, especially on defense, which went into a prevent mode.

Let's start at the top with Brian Billick. I thought the play calling was much better than last week, but that isn't saying much. I liked the balance, but there were some things that I disagreed with. Now on to the offense, and I've gotta start with Kyle Boller. What a great effort from him. Billick is really in a dillema at this point. McNair should be healthy by next game. After Boller's performance, how can you sit the guy? I hope Billick sticks with Boller as long as he is this effective. I thought Willis McGahee was rock solid all day, just like the Bengals game. He didn't have any outstanding plays, but he just seemed to get solid yards on every play. If he got 2 on first down, he'd go out and get 6 on the next. The offensive line is looking pretty similar to last year, the pass blocking looks great but I still find myself a bit dissapointed with run blocking. Marshal Yanda did a really nice job, I felt he was the high point. Derrick Mason looks great thus far, he's running solid routes, finding holes in the defense, and showing some great hands. Demetrius is a playmaker, and Todd Heap is just amazing.

To the defense. The first half was very good, everyone was playing well, doing their part. When we switched over to prevent in the second half, it wasn't pretty. This was one of the only games where I can remember being more dissapointed with the defense than the offense. Ed Reed and Corey Ivy's tackling was really dissapointing in particular. Anyway, one guy I wanted to mention was Gerome Sapp. I thought he was outstanding today. It lookedl ike they were using him primarily on 3rd downs, and I saw him lined up everywhere, from safety to inside linebacker to outside linebacker. I love how we are using him right now and he's doing a great job of being a versatile threat.

On special teams, you have to be impressed with Figurs. He had that great kickoff return and he's just pure excitement. I get hyped up everytime he's back for a kick, because I know we could be in for something special. I was one of the people that was critical of him at draft time, but if he can be a consistent threat, it'd be great.

That's about all I've got. Overall, the three problem areas that I want to see improvement from are run blocking, penalties, and suprisingly, tackling. Willis has done a solid job thus far, but obviously a more consistent run blocking line would do alot for him. The penalties are just ridiculous. Not much I can say about them. They kill us and they need to be addressed. And finally, I didn't think I'd be talking about tackling with our defense, but we need to do a much better job of wrapping up and preventing yards after the catch.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-16-2007, 11:44 PM
I believe Yamon Figurs showed that he is the future at PR/KR, dude proved he's got a set of balls on him catchin that one punt with a guy right in his face. The D seemed to slump once Trevor Pryce got hurt, I know we sorta went prevent a little but even when we blitzed Kellen had too much time, not to taking anything away from Kellen Clemens cause I think he is gonna be a great QB but if you give any QB time they'll pick you apart. Still wish they would go with Gaither at LT and Terry at RT or Terry at LT and Gaither at RT, because unlike DC I don't see anything good from Marshall Yanda too many plays where he was just getting pushed around. Like what I see from Willis thusfar, I did however here some people in the stands complaining about him already, I swear some people won't be happy unless we score a TD on every play. If Willis continues to pick up 4-7 yards when we get him the ball Im fine with that, and he is definitely an upgrade catching out of the backfield.

Btw we need to put Mark Clayton's face on milk cartons around town, someone please find Mark Clayton.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Dawan is a top 5 safety in terms of run stopping and rushing the passer but was awful in coverage, felt like I was watching Will Demps back there again, but Cotchery is a good wideout.

Don't insult Dawan Landry by mentioning him in the same sentence as Will Demps. When was Will Demps ever top 5 against the run? When was Will Demps not a total garbage safety?

trkaline
09-17-2007, 12:26 AM
I believe Yamon Figurs showed that he is the future at PR/KR, dude proved he's got a set of balls on him catchin that one punt with a guy right in his face. The D seemed to slump once Trevor Pryce got hurt, I know we sorta went prevent a little but even when we blitzed Kellen had too much time, not to taking anything away from Kellen Clemens cause I think he is gonna be a great QB but if you give any QB time they'll pick you apart. Still wish they would go with Gaither at LT and Terry at RT or Terry at LT and Gaither at RT, because unlike DC I don't see anything good from Marshall Yanda too many plays where he was just getting pushed around. Like what I see from Willis thusfar, I did however here some people in the stands complaining about him already, I swear some people won't be happy unless we score a TD on every play. If Willis continues to pick up 4-7 yards when we get him the ball Im fine with that, and he is definitely an upgrade catching out of the backfield.

Btw we need to put Mark Clayton's face on milk cartons around town, someone please find Mark Clayton.

I have been thinking the same thing, D-Will is shining bright and hes nowhere to be found....

trkaline
09-17-2007, 12:29 AM
O and noone mentioned the Reed almost TD return, yes I woulda been madder if he got it seeing as how there was a penalty but for those moments he was running it I was going nuts.....

BigDawg819
09-17-2007, 02:25 AM
Week 2 Discussion?

The Answer: Kyle Boller

Finally we see a real QB for the Ravens this season.....

Ravens1991
09-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I thought sometimes Boller stared down his target, Isnt Clayton injured I guess that affects him.

BigDawg819
09-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought sometimes Boller stared down his target, Isnt Clayton injured I guess that affects him.

Stop trying to find fault. Watching the late game last night I saw Brady stare down receivers, every QB does it from time to time so just stop it. Kyle ran the offense like a well oiled machine and put points on the board. BOTTOMLINE!

Ravens1991
09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
It is something bad staring down recievers I never said he had a bad game he had a good one.

BigDawg819
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
It is something bad staring down recievers I never said he had a bad game he had a good one.

Yes it is bad but all QBs do it from time to time so stop trying to find fault!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Stop trying to find fault. Watching the late game last night I saw Brady stare down receivers, every QB does it from time to time so just stop it. Kyle ran the offense like a well oiled machine and put points on the board. BOTTOMLINE!

Put points on the board, left points on the board I guess it depends on how you look at it. I know he has "injury" issues but Mark Clayton better show up. People need to give more credit to Dmase he dominated the game. I know many wanted us to cut him because Clayton and Demetrius are pro bowlers but sorry Mase is still by far our best receiver. He navigates the sideline like few in the league. Demetrius has tremendous potential with his good speed and crazy vertical and body control. And while he had 3 amazing almost catches, almost catches don't count in the game other than for oohs and awes.

Ravens1991
09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Yes it is bad but all QBs do it from time to time so stop trying to find fault!

Yes I admit if he gets down the mental aspect of the game he can be a star.

BigDawg819
09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Put points on the board, left points on the board I guess it depends on how you look at it. I know he has "injury" issues but Mark Clayton better show up. People need to give more credit to Dmase he dominated the game. I know many wanted us to cut him because Clayton and Demetrius are pro bowlers but sorry Mase is still by far our best receiver. He navigates the sideline like few in the league. Demetrius has tremendous potential with his good speed and crazy vertical and body control. And while he had 3 amazing almost catches, almost catches don't count in the game other than for oohs and awes.

I love DMase and am glad he's here, I know he was getting alot of flack for his tirade in the media last year but he was right. He was not involved enough in the offense last year and so far this year that does not seem to be the case. Mark Clayton, I don't know I gather that ankle is bothering him a bit more then we know but regardless if he's on that field he needs to produce or sit out and let someone else get the snaps and the opportunity. The problem with DWill that I noticed in yesterday's game is that his # was only called on that fly route down the sideline and the Jets knew that was coming and double or triple covered him. We need to get more creative in our pass routes to either get him the favorable single coverage or let Kyle check off to another receiver across the middle who will have single coverage. Maybe institute some double moves for DWill or a stutter move or a stop and go route or whatever it takes to get him single coverage to allow him to get the favorable matches up.