PDA

View Full Version : Chargers@Packers Week 3 Discussion

PACKmanN
09-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Many may think that this is early but we need an early start vs the Chargers, what do you guys think we need to do to stop these guys and score. We need to IMO, stop LT and attack Weddle.

neko4
09-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Stop the big play that LT will give them. I wont be sad if we lose. So long as no one gets hurt and we show some promise for next week.

wiscbadgerfootball
09-16-2007, 06:30 PM
attack their secondary.. it is pretty weak

neko4
09-16-2007, 06:32 PM
attack their secondary.. it is pretty weak
teach our RB's to pick up the blitz. we're going up against the best pass rush we've faced yet. our line can only do so much, Jackson and Wynn have to do their parts and atleast slow down Merrimen

PACKmanN
09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
I hope we get Jennings and Morency back, Jennings looks like he will be back now its Morency time to come back, makes me wonder if he out for the year but the staff and Morency don't want to admit it.

neko4
09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I feel like Jennings might have one of those injuries that nags him all year. But either way, he'll help keep more pressure off of Driver. Right now our WR corps will look good if jennings comesback

Pack_Attack_4
09-16-2007, 07:23 PM
This game is gonna show us how we really look, if we lose but were still in the game id be happy, but if we win people r gonna start to relize that the packers are the real deal.

gbpackers0065
09-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Run Block, attack the corners, and blitz.

Twiddler
09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm not too sure about this game. I have a feeling that unless Favre has the type of great game that he had today, this could be a little bit of a whooping. Yes, their secondary is weak, but if our O-line struggles it will be hard to take advantage of that weakness. We'll see though.

neko4
09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
If we can stay in it, it'll say we're on chicago's level, and thats what we've gotta do

gbpackers0065
09-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I think we can beat San Diego, our offense needs to play like week 2 and our defense needs to play like week 1.

bearsfan_51
09-16-2007, 07:29 PM
The fact that it's in Lambeau will help, but I don't see how you guys win this game. Your offense is completely one dimensional and they'll be able to tee off on Favre with blitzes and what not. Still though, 2-1 would be a great start considering the competition.

gbpackers0065
09-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Still though, 2-1 would be a great start considering the competition.

3-0 wouldn't be too bad either.

Twiddler
09-16-2007, 07:33 PM
The fact that it's in Lambeau will help, but I don't see how you guys win this game. Your offense is completely one dimensional and they'll be able to tee off on Favre with blitzes and what not. Still though, 2-1 would be a great start considering the competition.

Yeah, I hope that most Packer fans on here would be happy with a 2-1 start.

ny10804
09-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I myself subscribe to the "Any Given Sunday" theory and think if the defense and special teams can play the way they did against the Eagles and the offense can play the way it did against the Giants, the Pack has a chance. If not, then yea, we don't have much of a chance. 2-1 with a game against the Queens on the way is fine for me.

cordscords
09-16-2007, 08:11 PM
I picked the Pack to win the first 2 games, but I'm not too excited about facing the Chargers. Unfortunatley I think this will be our first loss, but I do think we will put up a good fight.

Boston
09-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm going into this game thinking we're going to win it. Why watch a game thinking you'll lose? It just takes all the fun, all the emotion, out of it.

jackalope
09-16-2007, 09:22 PM
This is definitely gonna be a hard game to win. If we loose, it will obviously be a disappointment, but a 2-1 start is still pretty good. If we win, it'll be huge.

GB12
09-16-2007, 09:52 PM
I think it's possible for us to win, however I'm expecting to get beat by at least two scores. Really though no NFC team can matchup with the Chargers. Obviously you don't want to be ok with any loss, but you can't feel too bad if we drop one here.

Hawk
09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Yikes!

That's my thoughts about the game. Our RB's still don't pick up the blitz well, so I can just see Favre running for his life out there. I just hope we can put up more points than the Bears did...3 that is.

sdpads24
09-16-2007, 11:39 PM
It should be a pretty good game considering how badly we played against the Patriots. I think that teams have pretty much figured us out for the most part. Stop LT and you will always have a chance.

RockJock07
09-17-2007, 12:48 AM
I think it will be a great game, this defense is gonna get the test of the season, but I think the pack can pull it out. However, the need to run block better, there were to many times today that Giants were in the Backfield at the snap of the ball, that is unacceptable.

I really like this D-line, Barnett and Hawk are all over the field, Harris didn't have a good game today, they need to get him to keep his hands off of people.

I'm excited to see if the we are as good as advertised so far.

thule
09-17-2007, 01:08 AM
This is going to be a defensive battle. The pack have the front 7 to contain LT. The key is going to be to contain Gates. NE contained Gates, Chicago didn't. I know doing both is extremely hard...but if this is done SD is in a world of hurt offensively.

On the other side of the spectrum. Farve needs to limit his mistakes. The running game will likely be non-apparent. So look for Farve to be around 40-50 attempts win or lose. Farve is going to go deep 5-10 times this game. If they get a couple of deep plays and make SD play from behind it would really be a help.

I have this game being 10-17 SD. But it could easily go the other way if Gates is a none-factor.

johbur
09-17-2007, 03:33 AM
It'll be interesting to see what both teams take away from the Patriots game and the Giants game. Packers don't have Moss (which they could have), but I think the Chargers are vulnerable at DT with Jamal Williams and his one-arm in the middle. Maybe he'll get some steroids from Luis Castillo to get better quickly... The short passing game the Packers used on the Giants could be highly effective against the Bolts, especially if there is a lot of blitzing. The pass pro needs to hold up and I'm worried Clifton went out. Wynn looked great on two plays and was not a factor on 8 others. Jackson is not a factor. Ryan Grant looked good on his screen pass. I like dthe TEs involved heavily in the passing game.

If the Packers defense can move Rivers around like the Pats did, he looked very ordinary. I am hoping Barnet and Hawk can keep up with Gates, with help from Collins. I am worried about Poppinga and Gates getting matched up.

The Special Teams looks a lot better than last year's. Tramon Williams is #2 in the NFC in return average. Woodson looks like he did last year returning punts, which makes me hunger for a healthy Blackmon to get back there and actually do something other than fair catch the ball. The punting hasn't impressed me, but the coverage has been very good. Crosby 3/4, but the ball just seems to fly off his foot, and Rayner hit the ball pretty hard. Sign Tracy White to a longer term deal! It's a nice feeling having a guy with a nose for the ball in there converting big hits into turnovers.

Not sure about the outcome. But I like Mike McCarthy more than Norv Turner. Based on that one aspect only, I give the Packers a 4 point victory over the Chargers, 21-17.
If you actually add players to the equation, well, I'm a Packers fan so I'll just keep that score.

TitleTown088
09-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Your offense is completely one dimensional. Hey now, # 4 won himself a MVP with a one dimensional offense 12 years ago, why can't he do it again?
Anyone else get the feeling this team is going to go early 90s holmgrenesk and set up the run with the pass? It's the only hope the packers have at this point to establish any type of run game.

jackalope
09-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Are Morency, Spitz, and Jennings expected to return this week?

cordscords
09-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Are Morency, Spitz, and Jennings expected to return this week?

Too early to tell. I think Jennings will be back, but I dont know the status of Morency and Spitz yet.

princefielder28
09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
The key play in this next week will be the screen pass; if we can take advantage of San Diego's aggression and get them over-pursuing on Favre then the screen pass will work beautifully. Based off of last night if you make Rivers make a decision quick with blitzes and clear passing downs then you're doing yourself a favor.

PACKmanN
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
everyone knows now that we are going to get an a$$ whopping, the Chargers are pissed off after the lost vs the Pats.

Nitschke-Hawk
09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Their wide outs are really no match for our corners. I was on the the Vincent Jackson bandwagon a little but he looks like the same guy he's always been, where is the breakout year? I'm also getting the "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane" thing with him.

Defensively we need to double Gates as much as possible. This would be a lot harder if we didn't have two top notch corners. It creates a situation where in this week's matchup, you can count on them almost always to be fine on their wide receivers and you can take your weakest linebacker and safety and put them on the TE. Allow Collins to play center field like he's been doing and let your free LB's focus on the backs and blitzing in passing situations.

If I were Bob Sanders I'd try Bigby over the top of Gates with Poppinga underneath. If that's exploited you just move up the ladder of quality, the reason to start this way is if it works, it lets two of the best play makers, Hawk and Barnett focus on LT and other responsibilities.

After an almost flawless season for a young QB last year with Philip Rivers we've seen bad decision making this season. Throw exotic blitzes at him and let it all hang out. You cannot be conservative with them all the time. They can't score points if their offense isn't on the field right? So force turnovers.

If Jamal Williams plays and is the normal him then we really have almost no chance. If he does we would have to have a TD on special teams or defense or both to win.

Expect more of the same passing/rushing ratio on offense due to this week's matchup. Quick passing, we need quick efficient passing like we had in the 2nd half of the Giants game to stop the Chargers outside pass rush. Hell, if for some reason there's a protection breakdown and an RB is forced to try to block Phillips or especially Merriman by themselves we each better hope Favre gets up okay. The quick efficient passing is always looked at as a running game of sorts, in that if you pass for several short gains with a high percentage of completion it's like running the ball for 4 or 5 yards.

This the type of game where our mistakes need to be as tiny as possible because a team with as much talent as the Chargers is not to be played with, especially after a frustrating loss against the Patriots.

drowe
09-17-2007, 04:05 PM
i'm nervous about shawn merriman. i'm worried he's gonna smoke Favre a few times.

but, yeah, this is a statement game. accounting for Gates and Tomlinson will be tough like it is for any team, but with our young, athletic linebackers, it could work out well.

it'll be fun to watch because i think the game plan will call for a lot of passing.

NickCollins36
09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
all i gotta say is san diego aint got shitttt on DA PACK

Sportsfan486
09-17-2007, 05:53 PM
What scares me is that LT has had two bad games to start the season.. LT.. possibly the greatest RB in the history of the NFL.. ... their passing game doesn't worry me but I can see LT racking up a HUGE game.

neko4
09-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I noticed last week that many plays we stuffed Ward, but then all of a sudden he would break off a big run. I know we can do well against LT, but I fear the big play on the ground. We shouldve done much better against Ward.

But i know right now that Favre has to pumped. I think he had one incompletion the last half

PackerLegend
09-17-2007, 06:26 PM
ill go with.......

Packers in a blowout..... well theres always hope but ill pick

Packers 20 Chargers 17

anything can happen on any giving sunday and I feel like being optimistic. The keys are keep Merriman from getting to the QB, which will give Favre time and he should be able to pick apart a suspect secondary like the Chargers have, its decent but its there weak point. On Offense you cant stop LT but limit his sucess along with Gates and your in very good shape. Rivers hasnt played well, LT has played well hopefully that lasts 1 more week and the Pack come out on top in Lambeau

jackalope
09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
What's the word on Jamal Williams' injury?

Boston
09-18-2007, 05:32 PM
I noticed last week that many plays we stuffed Ward, but then all of a sudden he would break off a big run. I know we can do well against LT, but I fear the big play on the ground. We shouldve done much better against Ward.

But i know right now that Favre has to pumped. I think he had one incompletion the last half

We tackled like **** against the Giants. That'll be nipped in the butt this week in practice.

sdpads24
09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
What's the word on Jamal Williams' injury?

Norv Turner talked to him on Monday and he said he felt fine. It could be different come game day though.

jackalope
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Norv Turner talked to him on Monday and he said he felt fine. It could be different come game day though.Who do the Chargers have behind him? I think Williams not playing could be big for Green Bay.

sdpads24
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Who do the Chargers have behind him? I think Williams not playing could be big for Green Bay.

I don't think there's any doubt Williams won't play. If he were to be out though, it will be either Brandon McKinney or Ryan Bingham.

Jim Jim
09-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't envision a problem with Woodson and Harris carrying their receivers, in fact I think that battle favors us majorly. Especially the Woodson versus Buster Davis battle. I think Woodson could bait the rookie into something fierce.

I think the key to stopping LT is similar to how the Packers bottled Reggie Bush up last year, is by putting Nick Collins on him for most of the game. Collins has the speed and range to keep up with LT and with the occasional double team, I think we could be okay.

Antonio Gates is basically their number one wideout, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Al Harris shift out on him a few times since San Diego lines him up at different positions.

I think the bigger issue is stopping San Diego's defense. Hopefully Greg Jennings will be back by this game and we can have James Jones working against their nickel back.

I think DeShawn Wynn needs to be given more carries. He seemed to be running with more authority and a 'I have to make this play' mentality when it seems that Brandon Jackson hasn't. I would also like to see Ryan Grant get involved more. He has some moves too.

San Diego has a good team, but they need to prove it this year. Hopefully the Packers will play to their strengths [ strong defense, quick passes. ]

The Legend
09-19-2007, 06:26 PM
A GOOD SIGN

*Favre is 4-0 vs Chargers
*Favre is 4 TD's away from Record
*Favre is 4 that his Number
Favre rb 34 could be Back

Football Fan
09-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Seeing san diego only favored by 3.5 points is a huge show of respect for the packers. I think if this was last year that spread would be like 12 points. If the score is as close as 3.5 points it will be a hell of a game. The over/under is at 45 points, so the odds makers are expecting a high scoring game. So am I.

GB12
09-20-2007, 10:09 PM
I wont be able to watch the game on TV this week.

TitleTown088
09-21-2007, 07:20 AM
I wont be able to watch the game on TV this week.

Join the crowd....

Anyways, that sucks JJ hurt his hammy too. If he's out the Pack is royally screwed at wide out.

SunDevil450
09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I agree packers need to be aggressive but i think that thorughout the game our d will slow the game down and make it managable for the pack. I didnt watch the game last week but jon jolly needs to have a game like he did against philly for us to pull out a W also weddle isnt starting clinton hart is who we would need to attack

Average OT LB
09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree packers need to be aggressive but i think that thorughout the game our d will slow the game down and make it managable for the pack. I didnt watch the game last week but jon jolly needs to have a game like he did against philly for us to pull out a W also weddle isnt starting clinton hart is who we would need to attack

The D is the only thing that will give you a chance.. The chargers will blitz like there is no tomorrow and seeing as how the packers have no run game i hate their chances on offense... becasue its gonna be merriman and phillips all day in favres face - its gonna be one dimensional..

but i think rivers is prolly the worst qb in the league vs the blitz so maybe you guys have a hcnace with the D thing, but by no means does that mean itll slow the game down. running the ball does that- and the packers cant do it. The only ones thatll be slowing the game down is the chargers if the elect to do so..

SunDevil450
09-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Well avg OT i will begin by saying that some of what you said has substance i do agree that the chargers blitz will disrupt Green Bay at times but will it be all that different then what the pack saw against jim johnson's philly defense. Which by the way was somewhat neutralized by an experinced quaterback. Also when i said slow the game down and make it managble for the pack I meant that with a struggling quaterback the Packers D will have alot of oppurntunites to shut down san diego and give Favre a chance to establish some nice drives.

Average OT LB
09-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Well avg OT i will begin by saying that some of what you said has substance i do agree that the chargers blitz will disrupt Green Bay at times but will it be all that different then what the pack saw against jim johnson's philly defense. Which by the way was somewhat neutralized by an experinced quaterback. Also when i said slow the game down and make it managble for the pack I meant that with a struggling quaterback the Packers D will have alot of oppurntunites to shut down san diego and give Favre a chance to establish some nice drives.

so your sayin that your comfertable with the idea that favre throws all day and that your entire chances of winning are him throwing against a defense who knows hes throwing, and are blitzing the **** out of him.. i understand favre is good against the blitz his track record shows that.. but it also shows that while he doesnt take sacks he throws balls he prolly shouldnt .. im lookin for a big day in the TO department allowing LT to run through your defense on his way to a big day

Boston
09-21-2007, 04:21 PM
so your sayin that your comfertable with the idea that favre throws all day and that your entire chances of winning are him throwing against a defense who knows hes throwing, and are blitzing the **** out of him.. i understand favre is good against the blitz his track record shows that.. but it also shows that while he doesnt take sacks he throws balls he prolly shouldnt .. im lookin for a big day in the TO department allowing LT to run through your defense on his way to a big day

What do you do when the other team blitzes? You run screens, draws, etc. And, last time I checked, the Chargers secondary is sub-par at best. Yes, Favre will force throws, but you usually need a good DB to take advantage of that.

GB12
09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Join the crowd...

Well I can't because I'll be at the game :D

Also Jennings and Jones are expected to play.

cordscords
09-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Jones, a rookie who started in Jennings' absence, was back on the field Friday after dropping out of the early portion of practice Thursday with an apparent pulled hamstring. Jones claimed Friday that he didn't get hurt.

Instead, Jones said McCarthy became protective after he said he felt some tightness in his hamstring during the team's jog-through.

"It was Coach just being scared and nervous. It wasn't nothing about my hammy," Jones said. "That's why I told Coach I'm never telling him anything again. I was out there in warmups, and I said, `Coach, it's a little cold out here, I'm going to go over here and stretch, my hammy is a little tight.' The next thing I know, all the trainers are running up on me, and Coach is like, `Get him out. Get Jones out of practice.' I'm like, I'm 100 percent, I just need to stretch.' It was crazy."

lol

Pack_Attack_4
09-21-2007, 10:39 PM
The guys on NFL Playbook think the packers r gonna beat the chargers (Sterling thinks favre throwin the best hes thrown in years)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8028edaf

Football Fan
09-22-2007, 01:55 AM
The guys on NFL Playbook think the packers r gonna beat the chargers (Sterling thinks favre throwin the best hes thrown in years)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8028edafWell that helped lift my hopes for the game. This will definately be an excellent test for the pack.

The Legend
09-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Favre Stats Vs Chargers

40 Att's || 25 Com's || 3 Td's || 2 Int's || 325 Yd's || 3 Sck's

Jackson Stats Vs Chargers

20 Att's || 70 Yd's || 0 Td's || 4 Rec's || 60 Yd's || 1 Td's

The Legend
09-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Rivers Stats Vs Chargers

25 Att's || 15 Com's || 1 Td's || 2 Int's || 160 Yd's || 5 Sck's

Tomlinson Stats Vs Chargers

30 Att's || 110 Yd's || 1 Td's || 8 Rec's || 40 Yd's || 0 Td's

TitleTown088
09-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Well I can't because I'll be at the game :D

. You lucky SOB. Ive only been able to watch one game so far live this year, and I will miss this weeks because they are playing the freaking Giants game instead at this Irish pub.

Nitschke-Hawk
09-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I agree that that Favre is throwing as good as he has since Javon Walker had that great year.

Not only is the decision making better, he's been really accurate. He's putting the ball right on the numbers.

neko4
09-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Here's how I think we matchup

QB- GB
RB- SD
WR/TE- GB
OL- SD

DL- SD
LB- Tie
DB- GB

Its hard to compare a 34 to a 43 defense

TitleTown088
09-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Let's hope the Heineken drought keg and Brandon Jackson can have a somewhat solid showing today. I look for Favre to carve up SD's secondary. Favre is our only hope today I would have to think. it's going to suck if the TEs are going to be used to block Favre from the blitz all game long.

neko4
09-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Al Harris looks pissed after getting beat by Jackson. Had that been a smaller back and not Neal he wouldve knocked him out.

bearsfan_51
09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow...I liked this Packers team as a wild card, but I'm legit amazed by what they are doing against San Diego. I don't know how much of it is San Diego still licking their wounds from last week..but this is impressive.

neko4
09-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow...I liked this Packers team as a wild card, but I'm legit amazed by what they are doing against San Diego. I don't know how much of it is San Diego still licking their wounds from last week..but this is impressive.
Im sure theyre not 100% but we arent either. Im very excited, but i hope we dont get ahead of ourselves

Vince Lombardi
09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
hellz yea, Brett's on fire today!

gbpackers0065
09-23-2007, 01:29 PM

I seem to remember a certain Bears fan saying that we have no change against San Diego, who could that be?

Boston
09-23-2007, 01:34 PM
The only thing we need to change on defense is shutting Gates down. If we do that, we win the game. I'd say 60+% of Rivers passes have gone to Gates, and if we can shut him down, our corners can take care of their wideouts. Granted, we still have to contain Tomlinson.

bearsfan_51
09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I seem to remember a certain Bears fan saying that we have no change against San Diego, who could that be?
Why do you think I made that post tard face? I'm still unsure that they can win the game if they can't establish a running game, but as long as they contain LT they've got a good chance.

bearsfan_51
09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
The only thing we need to change on defense is shutting Gates down. If we do that, we win the game. I'd say 60+% of Rivers passes have gone to Gates, and if we can shut him down, our corners can take care of their wideouts. Granted, we still have to contain Tomlinson.
It's hard to contain both, as your safties have to focus on one. If you take the safety on Gates that leaves the shadow defender on LT and he breaks one or two. Your front seven alone isn't good enough to stop LT. Nobody is.

gbpackers0065
09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Why do you think I made that post tard face? I'm still unsure that they can win the game if they can't establish a running game, but as long as they contain LT they've got a good chance.

I'm sorry, it's hard to see facial expressions through a message board.

Hawk
09-23-2007, 02:36 PM
We're driving again....

neko4
09-23-2007, 02:37 PM
2) Packers- Solid CB duo. Rising defense. Favre is still holding them back, and the running-game hinges on an unproven and unspectacular rookie from Nebraska. They'll win some games, but that's only because this division is just brutal. 7-9ish.
I wish this dude would come back

bearfan
09-23-2007, 02:38 PM
you guys are playing SD like they should be played. Which is the opposite of how we played them

gbpackers0065
09-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Atari Bigby with 9 tackles makes me wonder why he didn't play more last season.

jackalope
09-23-2007, 02:52 PM
420 for Favre to give us the lead!

Vince Lombardi
09-23-2007, 02:56 PM
who needs a running game when you've got Favre!

someone447
09-23-2007, 03:11 PM
It's like we're a run and shoot team, Favre is averaging over 40 attempts a game.

Boston
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
who needs a running game when you've got Favre!

Number 4 for #4? We shall see.

ny10804
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Ah man, the news rankings are gonna be all over Green Bay's collective d***.

sdpads24
09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Congrats on a great win today. You really took it to us. It's going to be tough for us to rebound after a loss like this one. Good luck the rest of the season.

NickCollins36
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
3 n 0 babay!!!!!
best start for a packer season in a long timeeeee
we shut LT out just like the other backs we faced
no team has beef on our D!!!!

neko4
09-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Congrats on a great win today. You really took it to us. It's going to be tough for us to rebound after a loss like this one. Good luck the rest of the season.
Thanks for not coming over here and saying, well if the refs called that penalty or we shoulda challenged this play. San Diego played tough and we barely made it out alive

Football Fan
09-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow, 3-0. Who would have predicted this before the season. This is awesome. I believe I heard its their best start since 2001. Its like a 76% chance to make the playoffs based on the history of the nfl.

neko4
09-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow, 3-0. Who would have predicted this before the season. This is awesome.
Packer "Homers"

wiscbadgerfootball
09-23-2007, 04:06 PM
ahh I'm so excited

neko4
09-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I know i cant even study right now! but i have to! i need to get away from this site

PACKmanN
09-23-2007, 05:13 PM
3 n 0 babay!!!!!
best start for a packer season in a long timeeeee
we shut LT out just like the other backs we faced
no team has beef on our D!!!!

I think our defense needs a talking to, we all thought our defense would win us games but its our offense doing that the last 2 games. We also need to stop teams on 3rd downs.

Football Fan
09-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I dont think even the homers predicted before the season the pack was going to beat the chargers this week. Clearly the packers have exceeded expectations at this point. Though there were a few picking the packers at 10 + wins and there is no reason to think that cant happen now.

gbpackers0065
09-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I jumped on a chair and I broke it, lol.

johbur
09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Quality win today. The run game could have had some of those Favre carries, particularly on the 4-1 at the goal line, but who can blame McCarthy for just coming out and saying, "We have the best QB to ever play the game, if you want to beat us, stop him." Special teams didn't wow me this game, but I liked Woodson's PRs. Eagles got beat by our defense and special teams, and that was an Eagles team that posted over 50 points on the Lions today, defense and offense had it going against the Giants and the Offense came from behind to win the game and Barnett (who is playing great) sealed the deal. Jennings back reminded me of those big plays from last year. He can take that 7-10 yard slant to the house and he was 10 yards in front of the nearest SD defender. Merriman who? Great job by the OL against their front seven on the 3-4, Phillips seemed like the only guy who did anything.

Green Bay Packers at 3-0 = ONLY team in the NFL to EVER start with three victories over playoff teams from the previous year. WHOOT!!!

GB12
09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Just got back from Lambeau. What a great game that was. Only 13 runs, what is this a Mike Martz team? I guess when you're having that kind of success in the air it's ok though. 3 TDs for Favre so I saw the tie, so close to seeing the record breaker. Franks dropped one in the first, that 4th and 1 incompletion (which should have been a run anyway though). I couldn't be much happier though. A win against the team with the best record in the NFL last year to move to 3-0 in a very exciting game.

neko4
09-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Anaylsis
Favre-A+ So much for holding the team back, we ran it 13 times and threw for 350 yards. With the way we're passing right now we should trade Aaron Rodgers and get Colt Brennan, he's used to throwing it 50 times a game.

RB's- B Did well in the 13 carries they got. Jackson got a TD woo

WR's/TE's- A- Aside from Bubba's drop they were almost perfect. Jennings did exactly what I thought he'd do. Take coverage off of Driver and look what happened, Driver 120 yards, and ofcourse Jennings scored that TD.

OL- B Still more to be desired at run blocking, but that should improve once alot of the guys get back healthy (Barbe,Moll,Spitz)

DL- B+ LT got shut down and we got a some sacks. We pressured Rivers, but the secondary didnt hold up their end of the deal.

LB- B LT got shut down, Barnett got a pick, thats what matters. Gates had a big day.

DB- D+ Sorry but we did terrible here. Gates dominated the S's and harris seemed to get beat physically.

All this doesnt matter though cuz we won.

JF4
09-23-2007, 07:05 PM
I ******* love watching the Packers again. This is a completely different team than last year and they proved it with that Jennings TD at the end of the game. In what was a well called game by MM that god damn pass on 4th down was so stupid and reminded me too much of last year when we were playing the bills. If you're on the 1 inch line, please just power it in MM!!! But the Packers D rose up and stopped the Chargers, forced them to punt. Then great play call, throw and run to put the game away. Last year the Pack would've folded and lost that game.

The Packers are only getting better every week and hopefully with an "easy" win against the Vikings next week we will be 4-0!!! Who the hell would've thunk that.

NickCollins36
09-23-2007, 07:29 PM
i nutted after the last greenbay TD
YA I HAD A NUT!! SO!! I HAD A NUT!

jackalope
09-23-2007, 08:10 PM
One thing that really bothered me was the way we lined up with an empty backfield on short yardage situations. We did it on 4th on the 1 and a few 3rd downs. If we're gonna pass we could at least put someone else back there so they have to play the pass.

neko4
09-23-2007, 08:12 PM
more draws next game?

Boston
09-23-2007, 09:56 PM
I could watch that Favre to Jennings play all day. That was an amazing moment. Just watching that hole open up was amazing. I was literally screaming at my TV during that play.

For those of you who want to see the highlights...
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8029b841

Nitschke-Hawk
09-23-2007, 10:49 PM
I think our defense needs a talking to, we all thought our defense would win us games but its our offense doing that the last 2 games. We also need to stop teams on 3rd downs.

While I think the D could have played better today, and I was mad before the half when Bob Sanders just let them pass all the way down the field, settle down, they just played the highest scoring offense in the league last year and held them to 3 points in the last 24 minutes of the game.
------
They very easily could've gave up and let SD score more, and our passing game would not even matter, then everybody would complain about running it more. Not to mention the first two games the defense gave up 13 points each time to two top ten offenses. (13 points a game is usually where the best defenses rank around) The Eagles just scored 56 points today, so I'd say they did pretty well against them. The Giants are capable of scoring 30 on lots of teams. Remember, it's the points given up, not the yardage. They haven't given up a rushing TD yet. They haven't even dominated a game yet like they did a few times last year, we should see that against weaker offenses, *insert Minnesota next weekend*. I'm glad we beat San Diego before they start running through the AFC West the next three weeks and probably get on a role.

The defense sealed the victory with the interception and I honestly think Barnett is on his way to being in the defensive player of the year conversation if he keeps this up. He's been outstanding. I want to see AJ Hawk step up though. He's my favorite player and I want to see impact plays. I guess they can't really run it towards him, but I'd like to see some turnovers forced by him, and of course the whole defense. He gave up a few catches to Shockey and Gates, two of the best, so I'd like to see him offset that in those games.

I thought the game vs the Eagles was awesome and it was, but this was the best Packers game I've seen in a few years. Not only because we won, it's because it was the Chargers, we're 3-0, all alone in the NFC North in first place, and the 2nd place team, the Lions, just gave up 56 friggin' points to the Eagles. Bears are 1-2 and we got the Vikings coming up on the road, followed by the Bears at home on a Sunday Night game. Let's keep it up.

GB12
09-23-2007, 10:56 PM
The defense sealed the victory with the interception and I honestly think Barnett is on his way to being in the defensive player of the year conversation if he keeps this up. He's been outstanding. I want to see AJ Hawk step up though. He's my favorite player and I want to see impact plays. I guess they can't really run it towards him, but I'd like to see some turnovers forced by him, and of course the whole defense. He gave up a few catches to Shockey and Gates, two of the best, so I'd like to see him offset that in those games.
Hawk wasn't on Shockey at all last week. He had Gates for only a couple of plays this week and I think Gates caught just one, maybe none, while he was covering him.

johbur
09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
One thing that really bothered me was the way we lined up with an empty backfield on short yardage situations. We did it on 4th on the 1 and a few 3rd downs. If we're gonna pass we could at least put someone else back there so they have to play the pass.

That being said, if you saw how the Pats mauled S.D., the game plan mimicked that to a high degree. Chargers run a 3-4, but when you go spread, they have to take out LBs and put in weaker secondary players. Add in that the roles of their d-line change when they're in dime and nickel packages and that's why you saw what you did with the empty backfield. When Merriman is in coverage on the TE, he either can't rush or he is one-on-=one with the LT or RT depending on what side they put him on. Tausher and Clifton had phenomenal games against a guy who could have been DPOY last year if not for the roids suspension. Philips beat Tausher once and Clifton went head up on all-pro Jamal Williams and came out on top. Due to the scheme again, Williams' role changes with a shotgun and again with empty backfield. Because his name didn't get called, I can't even remember if he was in the game when the Packers went empty. Coston had the jump, but other than that I thought he was solid all day in pass pro. They have Olshansky and Castillo at end, and the OGs stoned them in pass pro.

I thought this was the best coached plan in the McCarthy tenure against a very solid team, and that's coming after the gem he laid on the Jints last week. LOVE that the Jints came back on the 'Skins. Makes our defense look that much better, especially when you add in the 13 point lockup on a Iggles offense that torched the Lions for 52 today.

I look forward to watching the game again on the NFL channel Tuesday on Replay!

Average OT LB
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Here's how I think we matchup

QB- GB
RB- SD
WR/TE- GB
OL- SD

DL- SD
LB- Tie
DB- GB

Its hard to compare a 34 to a 43 defense

i think its obvious that after the game that these need correcting..
QB- Tie
RB- SD
WR/TE- SD
OL- GB

DL- GB
LB- Tie
DB- GB

..not all that different but differnet nonetheless

Nitschke-Hawk
09-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Hawk wasn't on Shockey at all last week. He had Gates for only a couple of plays this week and I think Gates caught just one, maybe none, while he was covering him.

I disagree, he tackled them each at least 2 times just off the top of my head after having a catch completed on him. They weren't big plays by any means, and that's a great thing about him being a great tackler, no yards after the catch, and granted these are some of the very best Tight End's. Gates will probably set a record for receiving by a Tight End, he's on pace for 1,500 freakin yards right now. (I was mad when they put the 5'10" Jarrett Bush on Antonio Gates, yeah that was a big mistake) After watching a few highlights I saw it was Hawk that blew up one of their first screen passes with Woodson. The first time I didn't see him cause he took out the o linemen and reached from underneath him with Woodson to bring down LT. A very underrated play by those two, I didn't know it til second look and the announcers acted as if it was routine.