PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Ridiculous

nfrillman
09-16-2007, 10:47 PM
That game is what consistently pisses me off about the Rams. They outgain them 392 to 186. The 49ers had no effing business even being in that game. First of all the WR's have got to stop holding the ball like an effin loaf of bread. People punch the ball out from behind all the effin time against the Rams WR's. That **** has got to stop. Jackson needs to get his head out of his ass, he was averaging under 3 per carry and was bitching when he didn't get the ball. How bout do something with it if you're such an effin beast? The offense has got to score when they get in the damn redzone, that **** is ridiculous. They go out and get McMichael and Bennett and throw to them once combined in the redzone, what the hell is that? Then the stupid ass play calling. Why in the hell are they running so many freaking sweeps. I know some of that is Jackson dancing outside, but some of it is designed. And then spiking the ball with a full minute left in the game. WHAT THE MOTHER****ING HELL IS THAT!?!?! God this team pisses me off so much. This game falls on Holt firstly, Hall secondly, and Jackson and the line next. The stars on this team need to get their heads out of their complacent asses and start being stars. 20 first downs to 8. I think I'm done venting, but I'm going to be pissed about this team until the offensive stars start being stars and stop being so laxidazical (sp), they have their heads up their asses, minus Bulger.

On the positive side the D was freaking awesome and the Seahawks lost.

BTRams66
09-17-2007, 12:44 AM
I have to agree this game does annoy the heck out of me. However there are key points or factors in this game that really annoy me because we had this game in our grasp and we gave the game away.

I think to gain 392yds on offense is very good considering the amount of scrambling Bulger did behind the line and the spectacularly poor blocking by this Offensive Line who look more and more like people standing in the way of an opposition defensive line. Run blocking generally makes holes for a runner to run into not a hole for the defense to smother the running back which is what this line is doing.

Torry Holt should have done a better job with ball security but I have to admit it was a smart play by Nate Clements. Your criticism of Jackson is a little unfair considering how his line is blocking but he has been a disappointment so far. I actually think he does need the ball more considering the amount of playing time in pre-season, all good keeping him injury free but actual gameplay is different to practice.

I believe this team and its coaches need mental examinations because some of their tactical calls are absolutely mind-blowing. They go out and get McMichael and Bennett and throw to them once combined in the redzone this is not too concerning if Bennett and McMichael are drawing defenders but redzone opportunities need better conversion rates. I am so glad and ecstatic to hear Linehan say he was responsible for the loss not the players, am I missing something. If a coach loses the game for us, what on earth is he doing coaching the team. 1 minute and 4 seconds left and Wilkins has to kick a 56yd field goal. Give the ball to Jackson one more time or throw him a shovel pass. A 56 yarder is a long long attempt. Last time I checked a kick generally doesnt kill much time either. So by the time we kickoff and stop the return the 49ers still have about 50 seconds left. 50 seconds or not its enough to change a game.

An interesting comment I saw on the Rams website:

With the exception of Frank Gore’s 43-yard touchdown run on fourth-and-1 – a play in which safety Corey Chavous said he attempted to strip the ball and missed the tackle to spring Gore loose – the defense dominated the 49ers.

One problem I have with this is the Defense is trying to do too much if this is the case. They played outstandingly well today but this is a play only a rookie or soph makes. Fourth down just drop the guy if you stop him which you could have done you get the ball anyway whats the need to strip the ball. Last comment on the play however is the poor technique Chavous showed. Gore is a small powerful runner so don't try and tackle him high (chest area) you have to either put a big hit into his gut and drive him back or wrap you arms around his legs and pull him down. Actually a good thing for this Defense would be to watch the All Blacks and the other good teams in the Rugby World Cup. Particularly look at the way Richie McCaw, Schalk Burger and Jerry Collins tackle and you will sort of get what I mean.

Actually on this story the way some of the Rams defensive backs tackle and get absolute hammered can be expressed in the same way english fullback Mike Catt tried to tackle Jonah Lomu in the 1995 Rugby World Cup (Go to youtube and search Lomu is a Legend).

However the D was freaking awesome aside from this blunder. Gore had 81yds on 20 carries (19 of which yielded only 38yds). The defense surrendered 89yds on 28 carries which is 3.18yds per carry. Takeout Gore's td run and its 46yds on 27 carries for an average of 1.7yds. I'm amazed the team can defend the run and you can't say the runningback was not great he is in the top 5 in the league. Against the pass we surrendered 126yds without giving up a TD good work for a team minus its 2 starting CBs. The 49ers ain't a great passing team however. The defense as a whole gave up 8 first downs incredible for a defense that looked mediocre last week.

The problem with our defense is the inconsistency. Our defense showed up today big time and kept us in the game when our offense turned the ball over the defense got it back for us. Last week however it looked like the defense had no idea what to do.

One interesting point is the linebackers. They played really well today and I think the three starters today are actually our top three. Chillar played solidly again, Witherspoon was far better than last week, Draft played well and also provided a hit in Special Teams play. Pisa has struggled for three straight years and I believe has never been as good as he was a few years ago. He can't stay injury free and is not very good technically.

As for my Game Balls I am also adding a new ball for the most gamechanging play:

Offense: Tight again this week between Bulger and Isaac Bruce. This week though I think its unfair to choose one. Bulger played exceptionally well considering the line and everything but he did fumble a ball early. Bruce just doesn't show his age. 34 years old and still produces 8 rec 145 yds, this guy is truly special and his play is outstanding and a guy I really admire.

Defense: I would give it to the whole defense because they played so well together. But I think two guys really stood out and they were Clifton Ryan and Ron Bartell. Bartell stepped up and did really well his coverage was good and he made plays when he needed to. Ryan well what can you say a rookie and boy did he show no signs of it at all. Came up with 2 sacks and a forced fumble. The fumble was a huge play and in the end was the Chillar of last week. So gameball goes to Ryan.

Gamechanging Moment: Dante Hall. Dante Hall a 84 yd return lastweek and this week, wait for it Dante drops it. Yes our big time returner drops a fair catch and this was the deciding moment because the 49ers recovered and kicked a field goal giving them the 17-16 lead. Close behind however is probably Linehan for an unexplainable call with 1min 4 seconds on the clock and we attempt a 56yd field goal.

holtfan92
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Yes, we've been playing like crap. Jackson wasn't effective either when Pace was in the line last week. We have to start playing better or this season is already ******. Holt and Hall's fumbles cost us the game plain and simple. We gotta fix all the damn mistakes we have and finally play like the team people were calling super bowl contenders.

NGSeiler
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
And then spiking the ball with a full minute left in the game. WHAT THE MOTHER****ING HELL IS THAT!?!?!

It's fairly standard clock management when you're running the hurry up and you get a first down in bounds. With the way our line had been playing, I can't blame the Rams for wanting to stop the clock and talk about their play rather than rush them to the line, hurry up and call the protections, and get right to it. ere not talking about the spike if the line does their job on the following play and executes.

nfrillman
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
It's fairly standard clock management when you're running the hurry up and you get a first down in bounds. With the way our line had been playing, I can't blame the Rams for wanting to stop the clock and talk about their play rather than rush them to the line, hurry up and call the protections, and get right to it. ere not talking about the spike if the line does their job on the following play and executes.

I don't agree with that at all. There was over a minute left in the game and they were at about the 45. They only needed about 10 more yards to get a reasonable field goal attempt from 52 yards. I would assume they would want to get closer than that though, but they still had plenty of time. Calling a play would have burned maybe 15 seconds off the clock. That means the play gets snapped with 50 seconds left. The issue of how the line was playing is exactly why it was stupid to spike the ball. After spiking the ball it is 2nd down. That means you now have 3 plays to gain 10 yards, or 2 plays to gain 8 and attempt a very long field goal. Since we knew the line was not playing well, it doesn't make sense to take a down off the boards when a sack is a distinct possibility. Even Linehan said he wished he had not spiked the ball after the game. Also, assuming they were only worried about getting a fieldgoal, spiking the ball gives the 49ers a chance to keep time on the clock in case they would need a fieldgoal. It was an incredibly stupid decision, there isn't really any other way to put it.

That is one very bad decision, but a more alarming problem is the redzone inefficiency. I know it would be a drastic measure, but it might be time for Linehan to tell the troops that if they get inside the redzone they are not kicking a fieldgoal unless it's the end of the half or game, bottomline. Either score a touchdown or turn it over on downs. It is time to send a message the offense that they need to get their heads out of their asses. The Rams cannot afford to lose games at home, when the defense plays great, when they dominate the entire game, that is inexcusable.

NGSeiler
09-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Since we knew the line was not playing well, it doesn't make sense to take a down off the boards when a sack is a distinct possibility.

So the line was not playing well, and a sack is a distinct possibility, but you want to hurry them up to the line, rush their set up, and have Romberg make the pre-snap protection calls on the fly?

I can't agree with that at all. Again, I don't think anyone's talking about this play if the offensive line executes as it should on the following play. The fact that they couldn't get it together on the following play doesn't give me much faith they would have done well when rushed and making adjustments by the seat of their pants.

It was an incredibly stupid decision, there isn't really any other way to put it.

Actually, there is another way to put it. You may not agree, but the other side exists and it has some valid points just like your side exists and has some valid points.

nfrillman
09-21-2007, 08:12 PM
I can't agree with that at all. Again, I don't think anyone's talking about this play if the offensive line executes as it should on the following play.

I just don't think that when the clock is not going to absolutely kill you, that you should waste a down. I will agree that if the play had been executed no one would mention that decision, but that's the nature of the NFL beast.