PDA

View Full Version : Brian Brohm and Andre' Woodson

akvikefan89
09-17-2007, 04:39 AM
As a Vikings fan, I'm pretty interested in next years top QB prospects. I'll be watching as much Louisville and Kentucky games as I can this year, but from those who have already been watching, give me a little mini-report on Brohm and Woodson.

Top Attributes:

Biggest Question Marks:

bearsfan_51
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Man if only we had three or four threads just like this......

Man_Of_Steel
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Man if only we had three or four threads just like this......

lol every week.

Im not gonna go into full detail but I love Brohm, he is NFL ready and should be the first QB taken. He has a cannon arm, his long ball is deadly, he's smart and a leader, his footwork is pretty good too. As you can see I think brohm is the total package.

d34ng3l021
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Brohm:
Pros: Very accurate. Makes good decisions. Good footwork and release. Great deep ball. Okay arm.

Cons: Plays weak competition. Injury issues.

Woodson:
Pros: Great arm. Decent release and footwork. Pretty accurate. Decently mobile.

Cons: Not too many.

Sniper
09-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Woodson is godly, Brohm is not. And so I choose Woodson

oldLibid21
09-18-2007, 03:11 PM
lol every week.

Im not gonna go into full detail but I love Brohm, he is NFL ready and should be the first QB taken. He has a cannon arm, his long ball is deadly, he's smart and a leader, his footwork is pretty good too. As you can see I think brohm is the total package.

Woodson's arm is better than Brohm's, and the fact that Brohm looks like a product of Bobby Petrino's system might make Woodson better for other teams. He is a good leader, but how is he a better leader than Woodson? It seems they're head to head on that.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Ultimantly I believe that Atlanta is going to be in the bottom of the barrell and draft Brohm and Petrino is either going to fly or die with him. Then Woodson will end up with the Kansas City (If Croyle doesnt step up by the end of the year) or Tampa Bay (unless their record puts them out of position to draft him)

Two Reasons they wont draft either one:
1. Childress is 2 bad seasons away from being fired, this year was the year he had to try to develop a QB (passed on Quinn, cant really blame him though) , if he could get a veteran QB (Simms , Boller , McNabb???), then maybe.

2. Neither QB really fits the type of QB Childress likes, he likes a QB that can throw on the run and can make plays when things dont go right. Hes tryed to get that with T. Jackson and had that with McNabb.

JDB7821
09-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Woodson's arm is better than Brohm's, and the fact that Brohm looks like a product of Bobby Petrino's system might make Woodson better for other teams. He is a good leader, but how is he a better leader than Woodson? It seems they're head to head on that.

Petrino is now with the Falcons and Brohm is putting up better numbers than he did with Petrino. How is he a product of his system again?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Petrino is now with the Falcons and Brohm is putting up better numbers than he did with Petrino. How is he a product of his system again?

He's missing a lot of reads, and playing a cupcake schedule.

Shiver
09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Brohm is putting up nice stats; mind you he's hitting receivers who are wide open. Receivers who have no one even around them. You won't see a lot of those in the NFL. You need to be able to make decisive throws into tight windows in the NFL. How many times have Brohm or Brennan had to do that? I haven't seen a lot of that from them.

P-L
09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Brohm is putting up nice stats; mind you he's hitting receivers who are wide open. Receivers who have no one even around them. You won't see a lot of those in the NFL. You need to be able to make decisive throws into tight windows in the NFL. How many times have Brohm or Brennan had to do that? I haven't seen a lot of that from them.

Brohm's stats against Murray State shouldn't even count. On multiple occasions he was hitting receivers with no one within 15 yards of them.

BuckNaked
09-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Brohm's stats against Murray State shouldn't even count. On multiple occasions he was hitting receivers with no one within 15 yards of them.

Even against Kentucky, the pass coverage was suspect and he always had a wide open reciever he hit.

Jonny
09-19-2007, 05:33 AM

Nearly every QB is playing against bad teams. We shouldn't even be having this conversation for a month.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions at all from that UK/UL shootout.

Notredameleo
09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Okay, Brohm was a product of the system. WRONG. I have been to all of Brohms games the last two years, and he looks a lot better this year as opposed to last year. You see the final score of the UK/UL game and you say "Brohm lost against UK. You forget the fact that he actually led the game winning drive with 1:50 left in the game. Its not his fault that his defense is putrid. Back to the subject: Brohm has an NFL arm, of course its not as big as Woodsons, but he makes up for it with his accuracy on his long balls. He has excellent accuracy on his deep balls. The only concern is his limited mobility. He also tends to stair down his receivers,which i cant blame him b/c he only has one reliable one, Harry Douglas. Mario Urrutia couldnt catch a cold barenaked in the dead of winter. Im not sure who is the better NFL ready qb, b/w the two, but Brohm definitely has all the attributes, including great leadership.

Sniper
09-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Okay, Brohm was a product of the system. WRONG. I have been to all of Brohms games the last two years, and he looks a lot better this year as opposed to last year. You see the final score of the UK/UL game and you say "Brohm lost against UK. You forget the fact that he actually led the game winning drive with 1:50 left in the game. Its not his fault that his defense is putrid. Back to the subject: Brohm has an NFL arm, of course its not as big as Woodsons, but he makes up for it with his accuracy on his long balls. He has excellent accuracy on his deep balls. The only concern is his limited mobility. He also tends to stair down his receivers,which i cant blame him b/c he only has one reliable one, Harry Douglas. Mario Urrutia couldnt catch a cold barenaked in the dead of winter. Im not sure who is the better NFL ready qb, b/w the two, but Brohm definitely has all the attributes, including great leadership.

Not a product of the system? Stefan Lefors and Brohm's backup Hunter Cantwell may have something to say about that

Notredameleo
09-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Im not saying that Petrinos sytem didnt help those guys, or even Brohm, but Petrino is gone, and Brohm is still putting up monster numbers. You say, he hasnt played anyone, but that is true, but he will put up good numbers when he plays the better competition. He has all the attributes of a good NFL quarterback. My point is, yes LeFors was a product of Petrinos system, but if you put him in Kragthorpes, he wouldnt be as successful, whereas Brohm has exceeded his production in Coach K's offense compared to Petrinos. BTW, Petrinos a douche.

bingbing
09-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Okay....Brohm only throws for 17 TD's last year and he was criticized for being overhyped. This year he puts up Colt Brennen type numbers and he catches heat for being a system QB.

WTF do you want him to do????

zCaddyz
09-26-2007, 11:10 PM
any1 think that woodson gots a slow release

bingbing
09-26-2007, 11:44 PM

I've heard his slow release compared to Leftwich. I think that is an exaggeration. Slow...a little...Leftwich slow...no.

Travis 24
09-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Woodson definately has a slow release, just watch him throw...which I'm sure is gonna hurt him in the NFL, nor does he have that strong of an arm...nor is he even that mobile. I don't think he's a top 5 QB...but probably will go near, or in that area because of the numbers..His biggest asset to me, is that he's consistant..and does not turn the ball over.

Brian Brohm is pretty clearly the #1 QB..probably more mobile...much, much stronger arm...Brohm is also more accurate, his ball placement is ridiculous.

Also doesn't hurt either that they both have possible first rounders at WR.

swagger
09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Both have pretty big question marks, IMO.

Brohm is injury prone and I could see him being very fragile at the next level. You also have to worry about level of competition and the Louisville system.

Woodson seems like he holds onto the ball too long, and his release is too drawn out. He takes a ton of sacks.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-28-2007, 12:25 AM

It's no more drawn out than Alex Smith's or Kerry Collin's in my opinion.

jayceheathman
09-28-2007, 12:50 AM
If I were picking high this year I would pass on a QB and take McFadden, Dorsey, Cambell, Long...anybody besides a QB. I'm not high on any of the top ones this year especially when you have Tebow possibly coming out next year.

nemesis3394
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
If I were picking high this year I would pass on a QB and take McFadden, Dorsey, Cambell, Long...anybody besides a QB. I'm not high on any of the top ones this year especially when you have Tebow possibly coming out next year.

Tebows overrated...i dont believe his style of playing will transfer over to the nfl very well plus his delivery takes a while which doesnt bode well for him

Sniper
09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Tebows overrated...i dont believe his style of playing will transfer over to the nfl very well plus his delivery takes a while which doesnt bode well for him

Oh yeah Tebow's brutal. I hate it when QBs pick apart defenses to the tune of 68% completion, 1096 yards, 10 TDs, 1 INT, and are their team's leading rusher. Overrated! Bum! Piece of ****! :rolleyes:

sweetd20
09-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Woodson scares me unless he can go to a team that will give him at least two years to adjust to the NFL. Lets not forget the last UK QB that looked like a can't miss with huge numbers and a impressive TD/INT ratio. How many QBs from primarily spread offenses that put up huge numbers have thrived in the NFL? Not many, if any at all. Carr has struggled, Smith is still not looking overly impressive, Couch was a bust, we all know about Rex, and then for the lowly Lions fan there was Andre Ware one of the original spread offense QBs to bust.

Brohm isn't without his flaws (has taken a beaten and has played a relatively soft schedule the last couple of years) but what I like about him is his ability to make those pre-snap reads of the defense and find the favorable matchups. Out of the two if I had a team that was looking for a QB to be ready as quick as possible I'd go with Brohm out of the two of them.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Woodson definately has a slow release, just watch him throw...which I'm sure is gonna hurt him in the NFL, nor does he have that strong of an arm...nor is he even that mobile. I don't think he's a top 5 QB...but probably will go near, or in that area because of the numbers..His biggest asset to me, is that he's consistant..and does not turn the ball over.

Brian Brohm is pretty clearly the #1 QB..probably more mobile...much, much stronger arm...Brohm is also more accurate, his ball placement is ridiculous.

Also doesn't hurt either that they both have possible first rounders at WR.

Woodson doesn't have a strong arm? Since when?

San Diego Chicken
09-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Woodson doesn't have a strong arm? Since when?

It's hard to figure out of Woodson has a strong arm or not. It looks like a pretty good arm, but not an elite arm. Good enough for the NFL for sure though. But the reason it's hard to figure out is because, watching them play the last few weekends on ESPN, they don't push the ball downfield that much? Most of the passes are underneath, not too much activity down the seams. So far, Woodson is averaging 7.52 YPA, on a 64% completion percentage. That's kind of low, by comparison Brohm is over 10 YPA (yes, we know he doesn't face quality defenses consistenlty)

oldLibid21
09-29-2007, 11:09 PM

Just because Petrino left doesn't mean Brohm isn't in his system anymore. When Petrino left, Louisville has kept that system that Brohm has been familiar with, and they wouldn't dare change it as long as Brohm is still playing for that team, and I don't think the system will change for a while. The fact of the matter is, Petrino's left his legacy in Louisville, and with that, he's installed an offense and the system that will stay on that team for many years to come.

BradRoper
11-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Petrino's "system" is the NFL playbook he used in Jacksonville and now in Atlanta. It is not some "run-and-shoot" hybrid nonsense. Brohm, LeFors and Cantwell can and have all run an NFL offense.

By-the-way, Louisville is now running a hybrid-BYU offense.

MaxV
11-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Imo Brohm is the best QB prospect, I have Woodson 3rd behind Ryan.

I have a feeling that Woodson will throw a high number of INTs in the NFL, atleast early on. I also agree that he has a slow release.

Brohm and Ryan are more NFL ready.

I think either one may be ready to start in their 2nd year and put up good numbers.

Off-course all of this also depends on what teams will draft these guys. A QB that gets drafted by a team with mediocre O-Line and WRs may need more time.