PDA

View Full Version : Challenge A.K.A. 49ers @ Home

terribletowel39
09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Does anyone think this is going to be a challenge for us?? Peter King thinks this will be the game of the week. (i know most of his shiv is bogus but i like MMQB)

I don't see how 49ers O can do anything against our D. anyone??

mikehop05
09-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Does anyone think this is going to be a challenge for us?? Peter King thinks this will be the game of the week. (i know most of his shiv is bogus but i like MMQB)

I don't see how 49ers O can do anything against our D. anyone??

yeah since the 49ers havnt put up squat the past couple weeks i dont see alex smith doing anything against our D

terribletowel39
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
yea i mean i watched the AZ-SF game in its entirety and i just don't see it either. especially with how the pass rush is looking. i'm gonna love seeing that utah Qb run around confused.

DeathbyStat
09-17-2007, 08:16 PM
The thing I'm worried about is their aggresive blitzing scheme against our o-line

Man_Of_Steel
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Personally i think we matchup pretty well against them, especially on D, but the game isnt played on paper and SF finds ways to keep games close.

mikehop05
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Personally i think we matchup pretty well against them, especially on D, but the game isnt played on paper and SF finds ways to keep games close.

true, and if we dont execute better in the redzone then it could be problematic

Mr. Stiller
09-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I think it comes down to the same thing.

Playing smart, limiting turnovers. They gave a huge chunk of change for their secondary. I think Ben can exploit it with Holmes deep speed and if we continue using the TE's in the pass game.

I don't think they're going to give the deep game many chances, but those 6-7 yard underneath routes should be there.

steelernation77
09-18-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm expecting another slaughter. But then again, right now I think I'm high off these victories.

PittPete
09-18-2007, 09:33 AM
the niners are one of the up and coming teams, considering where they were just a coupleyears ago. However we would have to have one of those meltdown games not to give them a whoopin. their defense is for real and should keep it closer than our first two, but I don't think our offense has really showed itself yet either.

Hines
09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
21-10 steelers is my prediction

terribletowel39
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
following in WardJr's footsteps, what does everyone predict??

i'm gonna go with a 17-6 Steelers or 31-14 Steelers but i want us to stick to keeping these first 5 teams to single digits.

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
following in WardJr's footsteps, what does everyone predict??

i'm gonna go with a 17-6 Steelers or 31-14 Steelers but i want us to stick to keeping these first 5 teams to single digits.

Choose one!

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Im gonna say 35-10

terribletowel39
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Choose one!
I CAN'T!! ok i'll mix the two. i think it goes 31-6. :D

mikehop05
09-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I CAN'T!! ok i'll mix the two. i think it goes 31-6. :D

im going to go with a 27 - 9 victory

terribletowel39
09-18-2007, 02:49 PM
are there any 49er fans on this forum?? i kinda want to get there opinions too. and good job on picking single digits. the defense is nasty.

yodabear
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
They shoulda never gotten 17 points against the shittyness of our (the Rams) defense. Steelers win this 27-3.

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 02:54 PM
They shoulda never gotten 17 points against the shittyness of our (the Rams) defense. Steelers win this 27-3.

Thats a fine prediction.

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 02:54 PM
I think the opening line is 8.5 for the Steelers.

terribletowel39
09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Thats a fine prediction.
agreed. 13 points the first 3 games. such a beautiful thing.

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
To be honest we look better than I could have hoped for, we are looking great.

terribletowel39
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
To be honest we look better than I could have hoped for, we are looking great.
totally agree with you. i thought would be doing good, but we do look better than i thought we were. even if it has been against inferior teams. they are still NFL teams.

Mr. Stiller
09-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm going 27-3 As well.

I think we can severely limit their offense.

What scares me is their interior of the defense.

By interior I mean.. Bryant Young and Patrick Willis. Simmons is the weakest pass blocker on the OL. And if Simmons has to go 1-on-1 With Young, Young is going to win. Same with bringing Willis on a blitz between the C/RG gap. If they hit that hard we could be in trouble.

terribletowel39
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
i don't know if i just have too much confidence in davenport but on the obvious 3rd and longs (hope we don't get into too many of those) i think if they bring willis in on a blitz, i don't Najeh's ability to pick him up. there were several occasions in the last two games when i was very impressed with his ability to handle guys. especially a fast running Wimbley and several guys last week.

and thanks Mr. Stiller.

Man_Of_Steel
09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I [predicted us with such a high score because I think the gameplan will fancy the throw. Holmes should have a career day.

Mr. Stiller
09-19-2007, 11:28 AM
i don't know if i just have too much confidence in davenport but on the obvious 3rd and longs (hope we don't get into too many of those) i think if they bring willis in on a blitz, i don't Najeh's ability to pick him up. there were several occasions in the last two games when i was very impressed with his ability to handle guys. especially a fast running Wimbley and several guys last week.

and thanks Mr. Stiller.

No Problem.

I don't mind them Blitzing, Najeh adn Carey Davis are good to great blockers back there.. Carey knocked John McCargo on his ass last week.

They have the blocking ability and Willis doesn't scare me. At least not more than Young.

Hines
09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
i find this game easy as i look at the team stats

the niners have the worse offence in the league and tend to give up sacks so i say blitz them and then we know we can stop gore

their d isnt really that good either and i thinkk we can run and pass all over them

i switch my prediction to 42-10 now

terribletowel39
09-19-2007, 11:32 AM
No Problem.

I don't mind them Blitzing, Najeh adn Carey Davis are good to great blockers back there.. Carey knocked John McCargo on his ass last week.

They have the blocking ability and Willis doesn't scare me. At least not more than Young.
hopefully they won't ever bring more than 4 (not likely) and Simmons and Mahan can double him Young. he is strong as an ox and Simmons....not so much. he is gonna need help.

Smooth Criminal
09-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm going 23-6. Im expecting the Steelers to focus on Gore and that lets Smith get close enough for a fg twice. Willie and the offense should be able to run against their joke of a 3-4.

mikehop05
09-19-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm going 23-6. Im expecting the Steelers to focus on Gore and that lets Smith get close enough for a fg twice. Willie and the offense should be able to run against their joke of a 3-4.

well if its anything like madden...

we are losing 14 - 7 at halftime, willie cant get going, and ben just made a bonehead move

Buckeyes
09-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I'd have to say 31-10... I don't see Gore getting over 100 yards... but I do see him getting in near the goal line at least once in the game. I think Willie will have a great game also, and hopefully Santonio can get in the endzone again

mikehop05
09-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd have to say 31-10... I don't see Gore getting over 100 yards... but I do see him getting in near the goal line at least once in the game. I think Willie will have a great game also, and hopefully Santonio can get in the endzone again

yeah i have holmes on my fantasy team

but seriously i was losing like 21 - 7 in the 3rd and then turned off the game...

all madden is ridiculous on '08, impossible even

terribletowel39
09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
oh come on, there is no way the 9ers should be able to put up 21 pts even on all-madden. you should be ashamed mike. just run it to the left side every play. they will make some holes for you eventually. don't attempt to throw it. won't work. and don't stiff arm on all-madden. that seems to grease your forearm.

rainbeaukid2
09-19-2007, 07:03 PM
you guys were wondering what the niners fans think and as i am a niners fan, here is my opinion.

i think that the game will be closer than you guys think it will be, the niners and mike nolan have a way at keeping games close, especially with the new defense. the defense is better than you guys think, and i doubt that willie and holmes will be as successful as you think they will be. hostler(the niners OC) hopefully has some more experience with playcalling and will be less conservative than last week.

i think that it will be a less than 15 point deficit with the steelers coming out on top, unfortunately

terribletowel39
09-19-2007, 09:22 PM
you guys were wondering what the niners fans think and as i am a niners fan, here is my opinion.

i think that the game will be closer than you guys think it will be, the niners and mike nolan have a way at keeping games close, especially with the new defense. the defense is better than you guys think, and i doubt that willie and holmes will be as successful as you think they will be. hostler(the niners OC) hopefully has some more experience with playcalling and will be less conservative than last week.

i think that it will be a less than 15 point deficit with the steelers coming out on top, unfortunately
thats what everyone has said so far. browns fans said it would be closer, some bills fans said that. i don't see it happening. you had trouble in both areas with the cardinals and the rams. we are neither and we are on a completely different level. i can't see alex smith being good enough to do anything and i know gore won't do much. at max he gets 70 yards. if that.

Borat
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
I LOL'd at this thread. I think you got a nice team. You're at home. You should win. But some of these predictions are hilarious. I just watched the Directv shortcut of your game vs. Buffalo and I have to say it wasn't too impressive. You guys act like you're the Colts.

42-10? HAHAHA.

Woooo Hooooooo 55-13. ZOMG. Oops, has to be single digits. 55-9. Go Steelers.

terribletowel39
09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I LOL'd at this thread. I think you got a nice team. You're at home. You should win. But some of these predictions are hilarious. I just watched the Directv shortcut of your game vs. Buffalo and I have to say it wasn't too impressive. You guys act like you're the Colts.

42-10? HAHAHA.

thanks for the prediction.

Brent
09-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Someone's bitter...

As for the prediction, I like to think I'm a realist Niner fan. I don't think you guys are going to run up the score but I don't think it will be as close as some of the others think.

mikehop05
09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
oh come on, there is no way the 9ers should be able to put up 21 pts even on all-madden. you should be ashamed mike. just run it to the left side every play. they will make some holes for you eventually. don't attempt to throw it. won't work. and don't stiff arm on all-madden. that seems to grease your forearm.

well its mainly my fault, i always try to get ben's stats up, and i always end up throwing picks

mikehop05
09-20-2007, 02:09 PM
manny lawson is out for the year, it sucks to see a young guy go down like that for the year though we wont have to worry about him sunday

i was still hoping it wasnt a tear and he'd be out for the year though

steelernation77
09-20-2007, 02:41 PM

42-10? HAHAHA.

And the Colts were REAL impressive last Sunday...

Man_Of_Steel
09-20-2007, 10:52 PM
25000 miles the niners have to travel. SF is gonna get stomped.

neko4
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Im really suprised to see Smith not playing well, the whole niners offense for that matter. I really thought Smith-Davis was gonna be good. And gore has been good but not great. I doubt the niners get on track here so...
24-10 PIT, 10 4th quarter points by SF

Man_Of_Steel
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Im really suprised to see Smith not playing well, the whole niners offense for that matter. I really thought Smith-Davis was gonna be good. And gore has been good but not great. I doubt the niners get on track here so...
24-10 PIT, 10 4th quarter points by SF

If the niners are gonna score it likley wont be in the fourth quarter, the Steelers run down opponents and by the time the 4th q comes around the niners will be half past dead.

neko4
09-20-2007, 10:59 PM
If the niners are gonna score it likley wont be in the fourth quarter, the Steelers run down opponents and by the time the 4th q comes around the niners will be half past dead.
i said 4th because PIT might not be playing them hard by that time. 24-0 in the 3rd, most teams tend to go a bit softer

nfrillman
09-20-2007, 11:21 PM
I know this will just sound like a bitter Rams fan, but the 49ers had absolutely no business even being in that game last week. The Rams doubled them in yards. The Steelers are going to destroy the Niners. The Rams were without their 2 top corners, 3rd DT, and Pisa Tinoisamoa and still almost completely shut down the Niners offense. The only reason that game was even close was because of Holt carrying the ball like a loaf of bread and fumbling and Hall muffing a punt. If the Niners couldn't top 200 yards of offense against the Cardinals and Rams, they aren't doing it against the Steelers. Don't sweat this one, it will be over by the end of the first half.

king2am
09-21-2007, 10:06 AM
You guys asked for Niner opinions; here's mine.

One of the toughest players in the NFL, your very own Hines Ward, has compared the 49ers Defense this year to that of...Baltimore. Of course the personnel is different and the scheme slightly so, but it's a lofty comparison none the less. For a quality 'tough guy' like Hines Ward to come out and say that, tells me the Steelers offense is taking the Niners D a little more seriously than the Steeler fans.

With that said, of course the Burgh is the favorite, you'd have to be ludacris to think otherwise but that is why they play the games right? I think Gore tops the 70 yard prediction I saw on here earlier, and I think he tops it by 40, keeping this game closer than expected.

The Burgh 17 San Fran 13

Man_Of_Steel
09-21-2007, 10:58 AM
You guys asked for Niner opinions; here's mine.

One of the toughest players in the NFL, your very own Hines Ward, has compared the 49ers Defense this year to that of...Baltimore. Of course the personnel is different and the scheme slightly so, but it's a lofty comparison none the less. For a quality 'tough guy' like Hines Ward to come out and say that, tells me the Steelers offense is taking the Niners D a little more seriously than the Steeler fans.

With that said, of course the Burgh is the favorite, you'd have to be ludacris to think otherwise but that is why they play the games right? I think Gore tops the 70 yard prediction I saw on here earlier, and I think he tops it by 40, keeping this game closer than expected.

The Burgh 17 San Fran 13

1) Where is the link to Hines saying this?

2) Do you really think that Gore can be the third rb in three years to post over 100? I doubt it.

Mr. Stiller
09-21-2007, 11:12 AM
1) Where is the link to Hines saying this?

2) Do you really think that Gore can be the third rb in three years to post over 100? I doubt it.

1) Yeah.

2) We have a 27 game Streak at stopping the run. You don't think they'll just sit there and make Alex Smith Beat them, there is no way that Gore gets over 100.

terribletowel39
09-21-2007, 11:38 AM
1) Yeah.

2) We have a 27 game Streak at stopping the run. You don't think they'll just sit there and make Alex Smith Beat them, there is no way that Gore gets over 100.
IF he did say that, he was probably just referring to the fact that both play the 34. you can't give up almost, what was it 400 someodd total yards to the Rams and be compared to the Ravens defense which i'm sure they haven't given up 400 total much in the past 6-8 yrs.

and like everyone else said, it doesn't happen. Nov 2005 was the last time man. i'll even be as brash to say he doesn't break 50 but he MIGHT do that.

king2am
09-23-2007, 08:45 AM
First of all you asked for opinions, I delivered mine plain and simple.

Second, I don't have a link to the interview, but on sf49ers.com, during one of Nolan's press conferences the question was on "Hines Ward comparing you're defense to what the Baltimore Ravens Defense does" or something to that effect. Maybe a few different words in there, but that's the meat of it.

And like I said, different players, slightly different scheme, i'm not saying they play just like the Ravens. But come on, the Niners are in the 3-4, Arizona is in a 3-4, Baltimore, New England, and i'm sure i'm missing some. But that doesn't mean Hines would use that reference for all those teams does it? No.

I was just pointing out that for one of the most respected guys in the league to say something like, might show you that these 50 something or 40 something predictions are a little...skewed.

And yes I do think Gore can break the century mark. If not him then who? Tell me that. OR will the steelers ride this streak till the end of mankind? Come on, if it's going to happen it will happen to an elite back, and Gore is such.

TerribleTowel I dont understand you. You come into the Niners forum, ask for our opinions, I give you mine and then you say things like "he MIGHT break 50"

Why do you think that? He ran for 1700 last year, one of the best backs in the league, and you spot him 50. If you don't like 49er opinions, do not ask for them.

Good luck today guys.

PoopSandwich
09-23-2007, 10:38 AM
You guys are going to kill the 49'rs... Only team I bet on was Pitt beating San Fran, if I'm wrong I'll be shocked.

skarocksoi
09-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Second, I don't have a link to the interview, but on sf49ers.com, during one of Nolan's press conferences the question was on "Hines Ward comparing you're defense to what the Baltimore Ravens Defense does" or something to that effect. Maybe a few different words in there, but that's the meat of it.

And like I said, different players, slightly different scheme, i'm not saying they play just like the Ravens. But come on, the Niners are in the 3-4, Arizona is in a 3-4, Baltimore, New England, and i'm sure i'm missing some. But that doesn't mean Hines would use that reference for all those teams does it? No.

I was just pointing out that for one of the most respected guys in the league to say something like, might show you that these 50 something or 40 something predictions are a little...skewed.

And yes I do think Gore can break the century mark. If not him then who? Tell me that. OR will the steelers ride this streak till the end of mankind? Come on, if it's going to happen it will happen to an elite back, and Gore is such.

TerribleTowel I dont understand you. You come into the Niners forum, ask for our opinions, I give you mine and then you say things like "he MIGHT break 50"

Why do you think that? He ran for 1700 last year, one of the best backs in the league, and you spot him 50. If you don't like 49er opinions, do not ask for them.

Good luck today guys.

He's probably just pointing out that we consistantly shut down rb's, especially at home, and I think theres some streak of holding RB's to under 100 yards at home going on for us. Plus, if you fall behind in the beginning of the game you are going to have to pass more to try and catch up, which will limit the amount of carries Gore has. He might have more yards receiving that way.

50 yards seems a little low for a guy like Gore, but you never know. Hopefully this will be a good game and no one on either side gets hurt.

king2am
09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
He's probably just pointing out that we consistantly shut down rb's, especially at home, and I think theres some streak of holding RB's to under 100 yards at home going on for us. Plus, if you fall behind in the beginning of the game you are going to have to pass more to try and catch up, which will limit the amount of carries Gore has. He might have more yards receiving that way.

50 yards seems a little low for a guy like Gore, but you never know. Hopefully this will be a good game and no one on either side gets hurt.

Agreed, we can't afford any more injuries, and the pregame show called the steelers the 3rd best team out there, so it would be awful to see someone go down for you guys.

skarocksoi
09-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I guess 50 yards wasn't really low at all.

king2am
09-23-2007, 03:11 PM
yeah that's a bummer. It looks like the Niners took all that play call heat to heart and opened it up early.

Good start for the Steelers, keep it rolling.

Borat
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Good game Steelers. We kept it close for most of the game. Got out of hand late. Good luck the rest of the year.

Man_Of_Steel
09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
We held Gore to his lowest rushing yards ever in 20 games.

terribletowel39
09-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Good luck today guys.
sorry if you felt i was being a ding a ling with trashing your opinion but your opinion didn't go with mine. i do appreciate that you actually gave one, unlike Borat who just laughed at the predictions we made, even though they were pretty close. :D

and as you can tell now, i had some pretty plausible logic in saying that "he MIGHT break 50." 27 and counting. it is an impressive streak.