PDA

View Full Version : Falcons sign Morten Anderson again, soon to sign Leftwich

Shiver
09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the Falcons have signed K Morten Andersen.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Falcons will meet with free agent Byron Leftwich and could sign him as soon as Tuesday. Leftwich will undergo a physical Tuesday. Coach Bobby Petrino indicated Monday that he's less than confident in Joey Harrington as his starter, so Leftwich could get a chance to play near midseason or down the stretch.

scar988
09-17-2007, 07:09 PM
yay! Grandpa's back!

Booo! I hate LEftnut.

BamaFalcon59
09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Not excited about the fit. Very slow release. Could be better than Harrington, though. More mentally stable and a huge arm.

locseti
09-17-2007, 09:27 PM
how old is Morten Anderson

d34ng3l021
09-17-2007, 09:38 PM
A billion years old.

I think about 46?

iloxygenil
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Morten is 47...

So glad to know that we're not giving up on the season.

thefalconer
09-18-2007, 04:30 AM
i hope leftwich's contract will be 2 years max. so with morton's signing, is prater getting cut? i thought it would've been a good roster move to use koenen for all fgs... but then again, maybe not.

the dude
09-18-2007, 08:21 AM
i hope leftwich's contract will be 2 years max. so with morton's signing, is prater getting cut? i thought it would've been a good roster move to use koenen for all fgs... but then again, maybe not.

I'm pretty sure he's already been cut

Crickett
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Not excited about the fit. Very slow release. Could be better than Harrington, though. More mentally stable and a huge arm.

I wouldn't be either. Leftwich has a very slow release (as you said) and a statue in the pocket. Now combine that with a team that has given up 13 sacks in the first two games and you've got a recipe for disaster.

D-Rod
09-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah, not excited at all. However, it will at least give the coaches something to look at. While Leftwich was never quite good enough to take the Jags to the next level, at least he never sucked quite as much as Harrington.

If we do sign him, I'd imagine it would be a fairly cheap deal, and will be a max of 2 years. That gives us a chance to look at Harrington and Leftwich over the course of the year, and decide which would be better suited to be the one-year fill in guy before our new QB - whoever he may be - is ready.

Also, it's very disappointing to see McKay close the door after the horse has bolted. He's better than that. Also, I hope he gave Rosburg the kick in the nuts he deserves for advocating that gamble on Prater.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not one to think Leftwich will turn it around, but I definately prefer him to Joey.

iloxygenil
09-18-2007, 10:15 AM
It's not like it would take much to turn it around here guys...I mean really. Look at the difference in the first two games...just a couple of plays here and there. Byron can stretch the field vertical where Joey wouldn't / couldn't. I doubt we see him take the field anytime soon, but I think we'll see better play out of Joey because his last chance is on life support. Its sad because I really like the way Joey handles himself, I think it's how you're supposed to handle yourself as a pro, he's very articulate and presents himself well on camera. Guess our WRs just weren't as good of playmakers as we thought they were, and he just can't make a decision under the pressure of a blitz.

Shiver
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I doubt we see him take the field anytime soon, but I think we'll see better play out of Joey because his last chance is on life support. Its sad because I really like the way Joey handles himself, I think it's how you're supposed to handle yourself as a pro, he's very articulate and presents himself well on camera. Guess our WRs just weren't as good of playmakers as we thought they were, and he just can't make a decision under the pressure of a blitz.

I remember Gil Brandt said, back in '02, that Joey Harrington carried himself like Peyton Manning. It's a shame he cannot emulate Peyton Manning on the field.

I think Leftwich would be an upgrade over Harrington, but he won't see the field until after the bye week most likely. It's hard to learn and adjust to a new play book that fast. In a perfect world he comes in and shows potential in this offense late in the season and Atlanta lucks into Leftwich flourishing in a new situation. Then the team takes Sam Baker in the draft and the offense is fixed. What are the odds of that? Not too good, unfortunately.