PDA

View Full Version : Better prospect - C.Campbell or G.Dorsey

Oaktown1981
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Top two DL-Men in this years draft who do you think is the better overall prospect ?

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Glenn Dorsey w/o question. Although I do hate Calius Campbell so take it for what its worth.

TigerBait45
09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I haven't seen enough of Campbell to really know, but Dorsey is just a monsterous human being.

BuddyCHRIST
09-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Campbell has more physical tools but is playing average right now, Dorsey is just playing like a monster. But I'll go with Campbell because big DE's are valued higher draft wise.

Green Bay Scat
09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Campbell has more physical tools but is playing average right now, Dorsey is just playing like a monster. But I'll go with Campbell because big DE's are valued higher draft wise.

plus on 3rd and longs, if i wanted to i could move him inside and have a faster DE rush the outside....but thats just me

Caddy
09-18-2007, 04:55 PM
It is always difficult to draw parallels between two players who play two separate positions which are differently valued.

Mr. Stiller
09-18-2007, 04:56 PM
I'll take Dorsey.. He's a rare breed.

There's a fair amount of Good DE's and nearly elite DE's every year (Williams, Adams, Campbell).

But it's very rare to have a UT like Dorsey who's as dominant as he is.

He's great against the run, the best interior pass rusher in the NCAA and he can hold the point pretty well.

How often does a Warren Sapp like player come around?

With that said I think teams value a DE more and Campbell will be the higher drafted player, but I think Dorsey is better.

Green Bay Scat
09-18-2007, 05:16 PM
id draft Dorsey and if i needed a DE, id go for Louis or Langford

Mr. Stiller
09-18-2007, 05:20 PM
id draft Dorsey and if i needed a DE, id go for Louis or Langford

Agreed. If I were a Tampa 2 team needing a DT and a DE..

I'd grab Dorsey and look at Darrell Robertson or Tommy Blake in round 2.

Green Bay Scat
09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Agreed. If I were a Tampa 2 team needing a DT and a DE..

I'd grab Dorsey and look at Darrell Robertson or Tommy Blake in round 2.

personally im big on big DE's, as they can get their arms inside on bigger OT, as the hands and arm length is HUGE for dlineman

fenikz
09-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Campbell, but not by much both of them are freaks

P-L
09-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Glenn Dorsey, for a few reasons. First of all, you could argue that Dorsey is the best DT prospect since Warren Sapp (Gerard Warren might have something to say about that). Calais Campbell isn't even a better prospect than Mario Williams and, barring a freak performance at the combine, isn't as good of a prospect as Julius Peppers either. Depth at the position should also be taken into consideration. The difference between Glenn Dorsey and Frank Okam / Sedrick Ellis is much larger than the difference between Calais Campbell and Derrick Harvey. Dorsey is a once in a decade prospect at DT. I don't view Calais Campbell the same way.

09-18-2007, 06:11 PM
elite pass rushers at his position like glenn dorsey only come around once every 10 years so ill go with him

bearsfan_51
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Ahem....Tommie Harris?

draftguru151
09-18-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't think Harris was the type of prospect Dorsey is, not sure though.

bearsfan_51
09-18-2007, 10:31 PM
No he wasn't, but he could have gone as early as 5th (rumor was that the Redskins wanted either him or Sean Taylor). That was also an incredibly top talented first round. Probably the best since....I really don't know when. I mean Vince Wilfork dropped to 21st I believe.

My point is that there have been a lot of great UT prospects (Kevin Williams, Shaun Rogers to name two more), maybe not quite as good as Sapp, but I'm not sure Dorsey is quite the once in a decade prospect that people keep saying.

moc182
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
I like Dorsey more as a player, but he's not quite the prospect he's being made out to be, especially with another elite prospect in Sedrick Ellis at the same position.

Vikes99ej
09-18-2007, 11:23 PM
I think Dorsey is the better prospect. He's looking to have a better season than last year, and that's saying a lot.

Shiver
09-19-2007, 12:21 AM
I like Dorsey more as a player, but he's not quite the prospect he's being made out to be, especially with another elite prospect in Sedrick Ellis at the same position.

Speaking of Ellis, he blew me away against Nebraska.

Don Vito
09-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Calais Campbell is a great athlete who has done some amazing things in college, but Glenn Dorsey is near a sure lock to dominate a game week in and week out these days. He is perhaps the best pass rushing DT since Sapp. As for Tommie Harris, he was a great pass rusher but he was more of a freak than anything, and he turned out to be a great NFL player.

I'll take Dorsey, he is an amazing athlete for his size (like Campbell) but he is utterly dominant unlike any college DL I can recall.

moc182
09-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Speaking of Ellis, he blew me away against Nebraska.

He's an absolutely dominant player. The fact that he's not a consensus top 10 pick blows my mind.

Turtlepower
09-19-2007, 01:39 AM
He's an absolutely dominant player. The fact that he's not a consensus top 10 pick blows my mind.

If our secondary and LBs weren't so attrocious I would love him as a Giant, but even though DT is still a need for the G-Men, it is probably the 3rd or 4th position of need entering this offseason.

Flyboy
09-19-2007, 03:05 AM
If our secondary and LBs weren't so attrocious I would love him as a Giant, but even though DT is still a need for the G-Men, it is probably the 3rd or 4th position of need entering this offseason.

BPA > Need.

Jughead10
09-19-2007, 09:13 AM
BPA > Need.

Agreed. Giants need the best player available on defense period. Except DE.

princefielder28
09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm not on the Campbell bandwagon yet so I am going to pick Dorsey. He's just a beast inside and is a true force to be reckoned with.

Addict
09-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I think dorsey is the better player, but CC will go first, because he plays DE.

wogitalia
09-20-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm a big Dorsey fan. Ellis isn't far off him though. There are going to be some very happy teams with this years draft, it is really starting to look deep at big positions.

Finsfan79
09-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I will take Campbell seen him play almost every week for the past few years, kid is a monster and an athletic freak. He is better then the top DE's to come our the past few years imo.

thebow305
09-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Dorsey is a monster, but Campbell will be a very special player. Just wait. Just like Finsfan said, I have been watching him for a while as well and he is a very talented and gifted player. I give it to Campbell, and yes I'm a homer.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 02:25 PM
I think Dorsey is the better bet ... but Campbell has the higher upside. It's a tough call ... I think with Dorsey, what you see is what you get ... and that's not a bad thing in any way. But with Campbell, you potentially have a guy who, if developed, could be tremendous.

As for the UT discussion, I think there's been a lot of good UT's in recent years, but yes, I'll agree a case can be made that Dorsey has been the best since Sapp ... and speaking of purely prospect value, Dorsey may arguably surpass Sapp as well. Doesn't mean he's going to be the best, though. Only time will tell. But I'm a huge fan and I thought he would've gone top 10, if not top 8 last year.

keylime_5
09-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Dorsey is a sure thing. I think Campbell might very well be a huge bust, but the scouts are gonna fall in love with him b/c he's so big and athletic and had 10 sacks as a sophomore. Campbell's upside is out the roof....but then again so is Dorsey's. I go with Dorsey but that doesn't mean I think he'll get picked first.

BUTerriers
09-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Just looking at this season, Campbell has disappeared at times, while Dorsey has been consistently dominant...but I think it really depends on which scheme you run, as other people have said. I think Campbell is more versatile in terms of the schemes he fits in, but I believe Dorsey will be the better player and absolutely dominant in a Cover 2...but that's just my opinion.

Travis 24
09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Dorsey is the prototype DT. He could be Warren Sapp-like. He's such a devastating force in the middle. He is hands down my #1 defensive player...

Campbell doesn't strike me as a Mario Williams/Julius Peppers type player.

etk
09-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I was in the midst of writing a three paragraph response as to why Campbell is unquestionably better as a prospect, but I got really lazy after the first argument. Basically I compared both prospects from three perspectives: Bust factor, ceiling, and talent/impact/physical tools. Campbell won all three. Part of the reason is that he plays a position that's easier to dominate from a physical standpoint, whereas Dorsey plays a position with a high bust factor. Anyone who watches Campbell play extensively (which I doubt based on the responses here) would understand his impact on the defense. He puts constant pressure on QBs from the edge, creating turmoil in the backfield and opportunities for sacks from the interior. He doesn't get as many sacks himself because opposing QBs are aware of his abilities and run away from him when he's in the pocket. Proof in point: Kareem Brown had 11 sacks last year,, while Calais had 10.5. A similar thing is happening this year where QBs are forced to step up in the pocket and take sacks from Vegas Franklin, Teraz McCray and others.

etk
09-21-2007, 06:36 PM
I think Dorsey is the better bet ... but Campbell has the higher upside. It's a tough call ... I think with Dorsey, what you see is what you get ... and that's not a bad thing in any way. But with Campbell, you potentially have a guy who, if developed, could be tremendous.

As for the UT discussion, I think there's been a lot of good UT's in recent years, but yes, I'll agree a case can be made that Dorsey has been the best since Sapp ... and speaking of purely prospect value, Dorsey may arguably surpass Sapp as well. Doesn't mean he's going to be the best, though. Only time will tell. But I'm a huge fan and I thought he would've gone top 10, if not top 8 last year.

Kevin Williams was a better prospect from my own personal opinion. If Dorsey was on his level athletically, he would be the consensus top prospect in this draft.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Kevin Williams was a better prospect from my own personal opinion. If Dorsey was on his level athletically, he would be the consensus top prospect in this draft.

If you were to make a prospect case, it's hard to call Kevin Williams the best when, in that year, many, many folks had Dewayne Robertson better than him, and Dewayne was viewed as a UT coming out as well. Dewayne had the Baby Sapp moniker as well. I don't remember the specifics on the negatives for Williams, other than that some thought he was a bit soft against the run.

I'll be the first to say that Williams is more athletically gifted at a comparable level. But Dorsey's a good athlete for the size and position, a plus athlete in fact. And he has been much more physically dominant from a productivity perspective, IMO.

etk
09-22-2007, 08:46 AM
If you were to make a prospect case, it's hard to call Kevin Williams the best when, in that year, many, many folks had Dewayne Robertson better than him, and Dewayne was viewed as a UT coming out as well. Dewayne had the Baby Sapp moniker as well. I don't remember the specifics on the negatives for Williams, other than that some thought he was a bit soft against the run.

I'll be the first to say that Williams is more athletically gifted at a comparable level. But Dorsey's a good athlete for the size and position, a plus athlete in fact. And he has been much more physically dominant from a productivity perspective, IMO.

'Twas true about Robertson, but I always thought Williams would be dominant in the NFL because of his athleticism, same with Tommie Harris. You're also right on about Dorsey, he's very physical and a "plus" athlete, but not a rare breed like Williams or Harris IMO. Those two prospects weren't as productive against the run, but I'm a believer that stopping the run (DTs) can be coached within a system. Proper leverage and technique is crucial. Dorsey already has that ability, but I'd take the "upside" guys ahead of him.

djp
09-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I will go with Dorsey for now, since Campbell only has a couple pass rush moves that he is really good at right now. Campbell definitely has the higher ceiling and will probably go higher in the draft. If Campbell can run well at the Combine, we may be looking at a top 5 pick, easy.

toonsterwu
09-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I will go with Dorsey for now, since Campbell only has a couple pass rush moves that he is really good at right now. Campbell definitely has the higher ceiling and will probably go higher in the draft. If Campbell can run well at the Combine, we may be looking at a top 5 pick, easy.

If he runs real well, the rumored mid-4.8 number, and has a strong finish to the year, I think we may be looking at a top 3 pick (granted, all depends on needs). I'm just not in love with the top of the board right now, and I think there's great possibility of guys moving up, and Campbell would certainly top that list.

Crow
09-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Dorsey, easily. I'm all about passrushing DEs, but if you can collapse the pocket from inside, you're going to have a lot of success on defense. I'd kill to see Dorsey and Sapp on the same D-line for a year.

geaux tigers
09-23-2007, 01:08 AM
if anyone watched the LSU vs South Carolina game, Dorsey had a monster game. Doubled team all day and was still unstoppable.

draftguru151
09-23-2007, 01:17 AM
if anyone watched the LSU vs South Carolina game, Dorsey had a monster game. Doubled team all day and was still unstoppable.

You could replace South Carolina with any team LSU has played this year and that statement would be true.

jbeans187
09-23-2007, 02:02 AM
I love Campbell and im a UMiami fan but i honestly believe Glenn Dorsey is the best college football player and both should be top 5 picks. Glenn Dorsey should make an immediate impact in the nfl but i think if Campbell is nurtured right he should be a star after 2 or 3 years, hes very raw still

etk
09-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Dorsey, easily. I'm all about passrushing DEs, but if you can collapse the pocket from inside, you're going to have a lot of success on defense. I'd kill to see Dorsey and Sapp on the same D-line for a year.

It's actually vice versa. Collapsing the pocket from the inside allows the QB to leave the pocket where coverage eventually breaks down. Either that or the QB has an opportunity to scramble. When you collapse the pocket with an outside pass rush (Campbell is physical enough to drive OTs back) it forces the QB to step up and take sacks from the interior. When you have a great DE that can do that like Campbell, you don't need studs on the inside. If you have an elite passrushing DT the QB will just run away from the pocket if you don't have good
Ends to force him back in.