PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich to Atlanta

Windy
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7240186

Quarterback Byron Leftwich, who was surprisingly cut on the eve of the NFL season by the Jacksonville Jaguars, has landed on his feet in Atlanta.

Leftwich has agreed to a two-year deal that could be worth up to $7 million with the Falcons, sources have told FOXSports.com.

Given the length and dollar amount of the contract, it's believed that Leftwich will be given the opportunity to compete with Joey Harrington for the starting job and is not being brought in merely to serve as Harrington's backup. Harrington has struggled so far this season, as has the Falcons' offense during Bobby Petrino's first two games as the team's head coach. Harrington has yet to throw a touchdown pass and is averaging just shy of 200 passing yards a game. The Falcons, meanwhile, rank 27th in the league in total offense and have managed to score just 10 points while dropping their first two games.

MaxV
09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
This is a good fit for both Falcons and Byron.

He needs a chance to prove himself and he'll probably will get it in Atlanta. The Falcons badly need a QB, he is capable of being a solid starter.

09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
the deal still got done but the falcons waited too long and should have realized this earlier..leftwich once hes ready can take over as the starter for the rest of this season and all of next season as the falcons groom their franchise QB (brohm or woodson).

BrownsTown
09-18-2007, 03:15 PM

He needs a chance to prove himself and he'll probably will get it in Atlanta. The Falcons badly need a QB, he is capable of being a solid starter.

I don't know if it's such a good fit...most need sure, but he's got a very slow release which doesn't go well with the well below par Oline the Falcons have.

Either way surprised it took so long for someone to sign him.

brat316
09-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Well we arent going to see him starting right away, I say three weeks from now.

I guess the Falcons think its Harringtons fault they lost those 2 games, not the defenses.

bigbluedefense
09-18-2007, 03:36 PM
beggers can't be choosers...

soybean
09-18-2007, 03:37 PM

I guess the Falcons think its Harringtons fault they lost those 2 games, not the defenses.

peyton manning, himself, couldn't bring that team into the playoffs.

georgiafan
09-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Harrington looked better in week 2, but in week 1 he had 2 interceptions returned for TD's. It's hard to blame that on the defense.

RyanLeaf#1
09-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Glad to see he landed somewhere.

bigbluedefense
09-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Atlanta's defense has been playing great. Its not their fault their offense can't score.

McBain
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Slow Byron Leftwich with a slow release goes to a team with a small quick o-line built for vick? At least harrington has some mobility and reasonable release. Leftwich will be sacked a hundred times.

bearsfan_51
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Interesting that it's a two year contract. The numbers are VERY agreeable too given the market. Granted there's not much of a demand for Leftwich (if at all) but getting a starter for 3.5 million is chicken feed in today's NFL. There are backups making 5 mil per.

bigbluedefense
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Interesting that it's a two year contract. The numbers are VERY agreeable too given the market. Granted there's not much of a demand for Leftwich (if at all) but getting a starter for 3.5 million is chicken feed in today's NFL. There are backups making 5 mil per.

the saying "beggers cant be choosers" goes both ways i guess..

Shiver
09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Atlanta's defense has been playing great. Its not their fault their offense can't score.

With exception to one Adrian Peterson swing pass that turned into a touchdown because Atlanta went on an all out blitz, the defense has been great. The offense has been bad all around. At least with Vick he could open up the running game. Harrington is like Vick except he can't run and make plays.

Splat
09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Can't hurt.

Shiver
09-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Best case scenario: Leftwich shows that all he needed was a change of scenery and becomes an above average QB. Atlanta takes Sam Baker in the '07 draft and the Falcons do the 'worst to first' in the NFC South.

Worst case scenario: Leftwich struggles behind a suspect O-Line and he holds the fort in '08 until Andre Woodson gets a hang of the offense.

So this signing is actually pretty good. Nothing to lose, a small chance of upside to it.

Vikes99ej
09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Good move for the Falcons.

Sveen
09-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Not a surprise. He will play this year and some of next year until their 1st round QB is ready :)

The Unseen
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
It'll be interesting if he can get along with Bill Musgrave again. He hated him when he was the coordinator in Jacksonville.

Best of luck.

Stash
09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
If Harrington got sacked 7 times last game then Leftwich is going to be destroyed. I understand that the QB position is a need for them, but I would think they would go after someone more mobile. Then again, at this time of the season there probably isn't a whole lot to choose from.

d34ng3l021
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Leftwich is a statue with a slow release. With our OL, I personally dont think he stands a chance.

ImBrotherCain
09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Slow Byron Leftwich with a slow release goes to a team with a small quick o-line built for vick? At least harrington has some mobility and reasonable release. Leftwich will be sacked a hundred times.

You are right about Leftwich being slow but ATL worked on getting big strong punishing linemen in the offseason. Idk i think it could be a good fit but, if it does i guess it gives them a chance to take a good WR in the 1st round. But hey i wouldnt pass on Brohm if i was ATL

21ST
09-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Wonder what took them so long to sign him, either way he wont make much of a difference unless they can find someone to block for him.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Best case scenario: Leftwich shows that all he needed was a change of scenery and becomes an above average QB. Atlanta takes Sam Baker in the '07 draft and the Falcons do the 'worst to first' in the NFC South.

Worst case scenario: Leftwich struggles behind a suspect O-Line and he holds the fort in '08 until Andre Woodson gets a hang of the offense.

So this signing is actually pretty good. Nothing to lose, a small chance of upside to it.

Exactly. Even though #2 is far more likely. I actually prefer Joey starting though, becuase Leftwhich gives us a better chance of winning.

Shiver
09-18-2007, 05:12 PM
That's why I said "small chance." At the worst he will be better than Harrington and this gives them a QB to use while they bring along whomever they draft in '08.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-18-2007, 05:12 PM
the deal still got done but the falcons waited too long and should have realized this earlier..leftwich once hes ready can take over as the starter for the rest of this season and all of next season as the falcons groom their franchise QB (brohm or woodson).

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twiddler
09-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Surprised it took this long. But oh well, it'll still be a few weeks before he is ready to go anyhow.

WMD
09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Good.. I have him on my Fantasy Team. Hopefully he can get something going down in ATL.

ninerfan
09-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Damn. I was waiting for a call from them. OK I'm an Aussie who's never played the game but even I couldnt be as bad as Joey (lol)

Yung Flippa
09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
matt schaub > byron leftwich & joey harrington.

MaxV
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
matt schaub > byron leftwich & joey harrington.

Falcons wouldn't have made that trade if it wasn't for Vick's ability as a dog owner.

scar988
09-18-2007, 09:13 PM

considering the defense was only responsable for 10 of the 24 in the Vikes game (2 were turnovers for TD's by the Vike D) and 13 in the Jags game, I think they have a leg to stand on.

P-L
09-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Hasn't Atlanta been having pass protection issues? Leftwich is only going to make it worse.

brat316
09-18-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah leftwich isnt a mobile quarterback, i say top five in the draft

P-L
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I just looked it up. Joey Harrington has been sacked 13 times. No other QB has been sacked more than 7 times. [Assuming he starts every game for the Falcons] He is on pace to shatter the record for most times sacked in a season.

bearsfan_51
09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Joey Harrington....settin' records.

brat316
09-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Falcons WR suck as well, I thought Horn would make some what of an impact, i guess his age caught up with him.

GREENSMACKS
09-19-2007, 02:38 AM

Good fit for Leftwich? Same crap oline. Harrington has been sacked 13times. That means 26 for lefty. Plus the Wr's are just as bad as the one's in Jacksonville.

No win for him IMO.

Green Bay Scat
09-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Good fit for Leftwich? Same crap oline. Harrington has been sacked 13times. That means 26 for lefty. Plus the Wr's are just as bad as the one's in Jacksonville.

No win for him IMO.

what are u talkin bout, its a win for him cause hes getting paid for nothing really

scar988
09-19-2007, 02:51 AM
The WR's have been doing very well. the problem is the QB can't get them the ball...

JagHombre22
09-19-2007, 04:15 AM
I don't know what a Brian Brohm or Andre Woodson are going to do for the Falcons...Byron Leftwich still is capable of being a very good qb...Atlanta just needs a offensive line...Jake Long or Sam Baker in the draft would be the smartest choice...hell, Darren McFadden would be a logical choice if they have a top 3 pick...

I just don't think you sign a capable starting QB to a two year deal and then draft a QB that high in the draft...

jdcdam1
09-19-2007, 09:37 AM
This is a good move for us....Yes, Leftwich is slow, but if you watched the first 2 games anytime Harrington got any pressure he freezes up, even lowers his head....at least half of those sacks are his fault.....He sucks under pressure...at least Leftwich is big enought to stand there...and if you looked at the games, the receivers have played pretty good....we just need someone to get them the ball

d34ng3l021
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
I just looked it up. Joey Harrington has been sacked 13 times. No other QB has been sacked more than 7 times. [Assuming he starts every game for the Falcons] He is on pace to shatter the record for most times sacked in a season.

Many of those sacks were Harringtons fault. Though our OL play is bad, Harrington often held onto the ball too long or didnt throw it away when he should have. Bad play on his part. He clearly seems to have some confidence issues. And he cant recognize an overload blitz for crap.

Leftwich, with his slow ass release, should be an upgrade over him. At least he will be able to make decisions.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Harrington has now finally caught the full David Carr syndrome.

MaxV
09-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Harrington has now finally caught the full David Carr syndrome.

I've always thought it was the other way around.

It's safe to say that 2002 1st round QB class hasn't worked out as planned.

Shiver
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
That has to be the worst 1st round of Quarterbacks in recent draft memory: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey.

MaxV
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
That has to be the worst 1st round of Quarterbacks in recent draft memory: David Carr, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey.

Here's the whole 2002 QB draft class:

1 1 David Carr Fresno State Houston Texans
1 3 Joey Harrington Oregon Detroit Lions
1 32 Patrick Ramsey Tulane Washington Redskins
3 81 Josh McCown Sam Houston State Arizona Cardinals
4 108 David Garrard East Carolina Jacksonville Jaguars
4 117 Rohan Davey Louisiana State New England Patriots
5 137 Randy Fasani Stanford Carolina Panthers
5 158 Kurt Kittner Illinois Atlanta Falcons
5 163 Brandon Doman Brigham Young San Francisco 49ers
5 164 Craig Nall Northwestern State-Louisiana Green Bay Packers
6 186 J.T. O'Sullivan California-Davis New Orleans Saints
7 216 Seth Burford Cal Poly-S.L.O. San Diego Chargers
7 232 Jeff Kelly Southern Mississippi Seattle Seahawks
7 235 Ronald Curry North Carolina Oakland Raiders
7 236 Wes Pate Stephen F. Austin St. Baltimore Ravens

WOW, David Garrard turned out to be the best in this class.

brat316
09-19-2007, 04:27 PM
no Ronald Curry

yourfavestoner
09-19-2007, 04:51 PM

That's disgusting.

The Unseen
09-19-2007, 08:13 PM

CraigNall4MVP

niel89
09-19-2007, 08:47 PM

you missed the best one. 4mvp

Iamcanadian
09-19-2007, 10:32 PM

A pretty solid analysis if you ask me!

LonghornsLegend
09-20-2007, 12:47 PM

SMH...sucks for any team that was in the markey for a qb this year, free agency was the way to go during this time

Scotty D
09-20-2007, 12:51 PM
SMH...sucks for any team that was in the markey for a qb this year, free agency was the way to go during this time

Packers got a steal in Nall though.

Green Bay Scat
09-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Ronald Curry turned out to be a good WR

portermvp84
09-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Once byron gets the offense down, I think that he will be able to win a couple more games than Harrington will.

BlindSite
09-21-2007, 06:16 PM
The thing I don't get is over the last few years I've only watched about 8/9 games where Jacksonville has played with Leftwich at the helm and to be honest I don't ever recall watching a game and saying "man this guy sucks"

I've always thought he was one of the better pocket passer QBs with unusual girt, determination and toughness who could become one of the leagues better QBs with a bit of luck. In Jacksonville up until really very recently he's had very average receivers around him and when he's had someone decent (Jimmy Smith) he's managed to hook up with them for great production.

I think he was in Del Rio's dog house and that's what's lead to his demise.

HoopsDemon12
09-21-2007, 06:24 PM
The thing I don't get is over the last few years I've only watched about 8/9 games where Jacksonville has played with Leftwich at the helm and to be honest I don't ever recall watching a game and saying "man this guy sucks"

I've always thought he was one of the better pocket passer QBs with unusual girt, determination and toughness who could become one of the leagues better QBs with a bit of luck. In Jacksonville up until really very recently he's had very average receivers around him and when he's had someone decent (Jimmy Smith) he's managed to hook up with them for great production.

I think he was in Del Rio's dog house and that's what's lead to his demise.

Im with you on this one.. i love this guy.. although his throwing motion.. so telegraphic

brat316
09-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Its not like Atl. Wr are that much better than Jaxs.

BlindSite
09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
I think they are, Joe Horn could be his Jimmy Smith and I think Roddy White is at least better than Jimmy Williams.

Besides there's crumpler who's a great TE.

Shiver
09-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Its not like Atl. Wr are that much better than Jaxs.

They are much better than Jacksonville's receivers.

Geo
09-22-2007, 11:21 AM
The Falcons need to immediately re-evaluate themselves, if they think Leftwich is a solution in any way.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-22-2007, 11:24 AM
I think they are, Joe Horn could be his Jimmy Smith and I think Roddy White is at least better than Jimmy Williams.

Besides there's crumpler who's a great TE.

Roddy White has stepped up, and looked very good this year. I think that puts us over the Jag's WRs.

Shiver
09-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Roddy White has stepped up, and looked very good this year. I think that puts us over the Jag's WRs.

Alge Crumpler alone makes Atlanta better in that situation than Jacksonville.

LonghornsLegend
09-22-2007, 04:12 PM
at least roddy white has managed to improve somewhat from last yr, and not only that he can at least create seperation on the deep ball...

the 3 jags wrs, jones, r williams, and wilford are all like roddy white last yr except slower

BlindSite
09-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Alge Crumpler alone makes Atlanta better in that situation than Jacksonville.

I'd still take Northcutt over Jenkins or White though.