PDA

View Full Version : Tank Johnson signs with Dallas

Splat
09-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Suspended defensive tackle Tank Johnson signs contract with Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-tankjohnson&prov=ap&type=lgns)

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Suspended defensive tackle Tank Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6806/;_ylt=AjWqwBkbta_AttFTC1rjKv8dsLYF) has signed a two-year contract with the Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/dal/;_ylt=AmHqNXjfBIWY7T7pybAjlqcdsLYF).

Johnson, who played the last three seasons for the Chicago Bears (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/chi/;_ylt=ApPGsFFeaW3qSBqrTk4GI5EdsLYF), can't play for the Cowboys until he completes his eight-game NFL suspension for violating probation on a gun charge. He has served the first two games of that suspension.

Sveen
09-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Even though he is suspended for six more games I think it's a good signing.

Splat
09-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Even though he is suspended for six more games I think it's a good signing.

It said he has served the first two games of that suspension don't you have to be on a team for it to count?

Sveen
09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Johnson, formerly of the Chicago Bears, is suspended for this season's first eight games and intends to apply for reinstatement in time to rejoin the Cowboys for Week 9.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80278fba&template=with-video&confirm=true

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Does he even get to practice with us for the time being, or does he have to wait until after week 8 to practice/play...that would make a huge difference

TimD
09-18-2007, 04:28 PM
i have a feeling T.O. and Tank will be the best of friends...

RyanLeaf#1
09-18-2007, 04:29 PM
I definitely think this is a good move by the Cowboys.

bearsfan_51
09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
No he can't practice.

DMWSackMachine
09-18-2007, 04:47 PM
This is the kind of move that could potentially have a huge impact down the road.

Right now Jay Ratliff is doing great inside at the nose, but that is the kind of position that will wear you out over the long haul if you are not perfectly suited for it, and I have had concerns about Jay tailing off later in the year. If Tank could come in and give 20 quality snaps a game at the nose to spell Ratliff, it could be the difference between a wild card spot and the division title, or even the difference between just a division title and the #1 seed in the NFC.

It could also be completely irrelevant and he could be sent packing by week 10, but this is by far the best option, quality of player-wise, that we had to fill the huge hole created by Ferguson going down.

A Perfect Score
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
im a ravens fan, so i dont really watch alot of NFC games, but i was under the impression tank, being a small DT at around 300 lbs. was a sort of one gap penetrator that the bears used in their cover 2 defense. I didnt think that he would be a possible NT candidate. Huh, guess i was wrong. Is he really solid enough against the tun to play NT in a 3-4?

SFbear
09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
im a ravens fan, so i dont really watch alot of NFC games, but i was under the impression tank, being a small DT at around 300 lbs. was a sort of one gap penetrator that the bears used in their cover 2 defense. I didnt think that he would be a possible NT candidate. Huh, guess i was wrong. Is he really solid enough against the tun to play NT in a 3-4?

Hes not really good against the run at all. The best he could be in a 3-4 is a situational pass rusher unless he puts on about 30 lbs and learns to play with better leverage.

Ewing
09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
This guy is the second DT on a 4-3 scheme there is no way he even sees the field with the Cowboys considering they run the 3-4. He simply doesn't fit the scheme. This signing seems like a publicity stunt.

A Perfect Score
09-18-2007, 07:43 PM
hahaha i knew i was right...maybe they plan on using him in the DE rotation? its not uncommon to see a 300 lb DE in a 3-4, maybe they think he can make more of an impact on passing down then their current players.

KILLERSANTA
09-18-2007, 08:40 PM
This guy is the second DT on a 4-3 scheme there is no way he even sees the field with the Cowboys considering they run the 3-4. He simply doesn't fit the scheme. This signing seems like a publicity stunt.

hahaha i knew i was right...maybe they plan on using him in the DE rotation? its not uncommon to see a 300 lb DE in a 3-4, maybe they think he can make more of an impact on passing down then their current players.

Seeing how our current NT is 298 pounds and a pass rusher and Tank is 300 and a Run Stopper......I call it a up grade(not much, but a upgrade), and he has 6 weeks to learn the playbook...

Ward
09-18-2007, 10:50 PM
A real conversation between Scott and myself:

11:17:03 PM Scott: Shanahan thinks he's a genious and can turn everyone around.
11:17:43 PM me: I'm glad the cowboys have moved away from that completely after the glory days
11:17:52 PM me: that's why the Tank Johnson to Dallas rumors are completely wrong
11:18:01 PM me: they 100% avoid anyone who gets in trouble with the law
11:18:10 PM Scott: Yea, Dallas might be that desperate for a NT though... :-)

Sometimes it's nice to have a pie thrown at your face.

TimD
09-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Seeing how our current NT is 298 pounds and a pass rusher and Tank is 300 and a Run Stopper......I call it a up grade(not much, but a upgrade), and he has 6 weeks to learn the playbook...

losing Ferguson hurt so much... a good NT is what makes a team with a 3-4 defense succeed (at least in stopping the run)

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Moss, TO, Porter, etc. This year with Goodell manning the post troubled players are shaping up. If Tank can do as the above have done than Dallas is getting an elite defensive lineman and drastically making an early season superbowl push.

BlindSite
09-19-2007, 02:09 AM

What in nickel and dime? It pays to have a good UT.

thule
09-19-2007, 03:40 AM
His size isn't a huge factor. He is a one-gap player. And it just so happens Wade's 34 defense uses a one-gap scheme. Like DMW said...it's about spelling Ratliff later in the year. He could also play the end spot if needed. Not only that we still run a nickel/dime about 50% of the plays on defense which he could sit at a NT or UT. If he keeps his nose clean it's a good signing.

D-Unit
09-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Before people start jumping to conclusions, Tank isn't being brought on to turn the club around, take it to another level, or be the savior of the defense. Expectations should not be high. Rival fans should not be spitting fire in our eyes. We should not be thinking that our problems along the line are solved.

All Tank is, is a late season back up player. Anything more is bonus. At the first signs of character issues, he should be expected to be off the team.

NIN1984
09-19-2007, 07:28 AM
good signing I'm a big Tank fan, have been since his college years I hope he can make a big impact.

Addict
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM
good signing I'm a big Tank fan, have been since his college years I hope he can make a big impact.

well the bigger they are, the bigger crater they leave. Nah it's a good player, just not such a great person.

bigbluedefense
09-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Its a one gap scheme, so its different from your traditional 3-4 defense.

Its more of a 4-3/46 style defense masked in a 3-4 shell. Tank gives them options. He can spell Ratliff if he needs a break, or he can provide an insurance policy at End for Spears in case he's a bust.

The thing is, most Tampa 2 players are huge busts in 3-4 schemes. But since this 3-4 is very different from most, this move has a chance of working. And he was the best available player on the market. Im a little upset the Giants didn't make a push for him considering how horrid our defense is.