PDA

View Full Version : ACC Discussion Thread

SeanTaylorRIP
09-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks ACC football is the best in the country, anyways discuss ACC!!!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
My Conference projections are:

Atlantic:
1) Boston College
2) Maryland
3) Clemson
4) Wake Forest
5) Florida State
6) NC State

Coastal:
1) Virginia- No joke already 2-0 in ACC play they have the best defense and a top 5 RB in the conference.
2) Virginia Tech
3) Georgia Tech
4) Miami
5) North Carolina
6) Duke

draftguru151
09-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Can't buy UVA winning the Coastal, sure they're 2-0 in the ACC, but they played NC and Duke, barely getting by NC (even though they were up big early). I think with Taylor VT can bounce back and win the Coastal and GT and maybe Miami can put up fights if they get their QB situation handled.

Also just a tid bit about the ACC struggles. The biggest thing I see in the conference is lack of QBs. Other than BC with Ryan the only other team getting consistent QB play is Clemson with Harper and his only test so far was FSU and he wasn't amazing there. Yates is doing ok but he's not that great. If Tyrod Taylor can play well VT should be able to bounce back and take the Coastal because teams won't be able to stay with them.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Brandon Ore has been awful crap this year, everyone touted him as a first rounder when he declares the way he's been running I wouldn't take him first 5 rounds at all. Tyrod will go through ups and downs and their defense is overrated. They have quick LB's but not necessarily stout against the run, their secondary although possessing talent is getting torn apart, and they can't create pressure.

draftguru151
09-18-2007, 05:44 PM
The fact that LSU and ECU had no respect for the passing game certainly had something to do with Ore's struggling. Teams will have to respect Taylor not only by not having so many men in the box, but by having guys watch him even when he hands the ball off. Sure VT is having some issues, but it was against LSU, and it's not like the other teams are doing much better (if at all) against worse teams. I'm not saying VT will dominate the ACC and be one of the top teams in the country (I thought their preseason ranking was a joke), but do they have the talent to be a top the ACC coastal? Sure.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-18-2007, 05:50 PM
They have what it takes but I don't know this team just lacks something. Not sure if you watched the Ohio game but they were awful vs Ohio. Until like the end of the 3rd quarter it was tied 7-7 before they broke away in the 4th with some meaningless TD's to win 28-7.

draftguru151
09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Didn't get to see that, so maybe you know better than I do. I just haven't seen a team better than them. If Bennett can get better and give GT a passing attack then GT can definitely take the conference (same with Wright at Miami) but until then I have VT a top the division.

BigJohn98
09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Decody Fagg needs to be benched. Preston Parker is the real deal.

JagHombre22
09-19-2007, 04:26 AM
the entire FSU offense needs to be benched...they are wasting a great offensive coordinator on Weatherford...the only playmaker on that offense right now is Antoine Smith....

I think FSU will finish slightly higher than fifth in the atlantic...no way Maryland finishes second...

GT wins the conference...

vatech=accdomination
09-19-2007, 11:39 AM
tech didnt finish drives, their defense was absolutely lock down, UVa wont win the ACC.

vatech=accdomination
09-19-2007, 11:40 AM
and uva beat duke and unc by a combined total of 13 points, and got blown out by wyoming. they are gonna get killed this weekend.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-20-2007, 02:25 PM
and uva beat duke and unc by a combined total of 13 points, and got blown out by wyoming. they are gonna get killed this weekend.

Just wait and see they aren't that team week 1, they came out flat and unprepared. Since then they have been hot. The defense is possibly the best in the ACC and week 2 Cedric Peerman had 137 yards rushing and last week 186 yards rushing, should be an elite ACC back this year, and Wyoming isn't a bad team better than a handful of ACC teams, they almost beat Boise State last week.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
lol FSU at #5, I agree only because of weathersuck. How is UVA gonna win their division? Jameel Sewell sucks, and Peter Lalich hasn't shown anything either.

vatech=accdomination
09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
meh, VT might have gotten off to a slow start.....if ore would just step his game up we would be offensively on par with BC, if not better.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-20-2007, 06:09 PM
meh, VT might have gotten off to a slow start.....if ore would just step his game up we would be offensively on par with BC, if not better.

I disagree completely, BC has a much better running game and line with Andre Callender and LV Whitworth both carrying the load and both playing nasty, and as good as Tyrod might eventually be he can't even hold Matt Ryan's jock. I hate Ryan but he will dominate the ACC, he is a top 5 QB in college football. Clemson for sure has a better offense than tech with Harper being the 2nd best QB in the conference and having the 2 headed monster. Maryland is better two with their 2 headed monster running game, better QB play with Jordan Steffy, and the best offensive player in the conference in Derrius Heyward Bey. To be honest tech is no better on offense than Miami and Georgia Tech too.

HChu
09-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Maryland ahead of Clemson? And also not buying the UVA prediction.

etk
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
WE GOT THAT SWAG BACK!!!!

RyanLeaf#1
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
WE GOT THAT SWAG BACK!!!!

Miami looks really good.

ncst8fan83
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
lmao, you're such a homer ghetto. the acc sucks ass this year. it's amazing to see how far this conference has declined since everyone forgot to recruit qb's who could play worth a damn.

i'm gonna call a bc/miami title game with miami taking the win. that offense needs to pick up the pace though. they have like 5 rb's who could start on any team in the nation. run the hell out of that thing, control the ball, and don't turn it over. it's amazing how simple it can be. you don't have to have an urban meyer offense to dominate opponents.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Wow Miami bandwagon in full effect after 1 half of football.

RyanLeaf#1
09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Wow Miami bandwagon in full effect after 1 half of football.

Im not a Miami fan at all, but you have to admit they looked good in that first half. If they come out and score in the 2nd half its game over.

Finsfan79
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Canes will win the ACC this year, been calling that for a while now. Look for them in jacksonville for the title game vs FSU. :)

Turtlepower
09-21-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm the conductor of the Matt Ryan bandwagon, so here goes a shout out for BC to win the ACC, but get their asses handed to them by WVU/Rutgers in the BCS.

draftguru151
09-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm the conductor of the Matt Ryan bandwagon, so here goes a shout out for BC to win the ACC, but get their asses handed to them by WVU/Rutgers in the BCS.

The Matt Ryan bangwagon actually left a while ago, you're late.

Turtlepower
09-21-2007, 12:01 PM
The Matt Ryan bangwagon actually left a while ago, you're late.

I missed the stop in Georgia this past weekend, but I plan to pick it up back in Boston when they play Army. =D

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Damn man you are right Virginia got killed by Georgia Tech, lol, haha UVA 3-0 in the conference as my prediction begins to take form, we'll just have to watch for the rest of the season for you all to be believers. Cedric Peerman is running away with the ACC rushing title and Mr. Chris Long has the 2nd most sacks in the nation. I will however move Miami to #3 in my rankings ahead of GAtech. Also Duke looks like they will beat Navy great win for them if they can close it out. Thad Lewis has been an animal 4 TD's over 400 yards, and Riley has 4 Td's and like 250 yards receiving something like that, and yeah Branden Ore blows.

draftguru151
09-22-2007, 03:25 PM
UVA got 14 free points and played a Choise-less GT. This game really isn't something to brag about. Peerman looked very good as did the D, but you guys should have lost that game.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
UVA got 14 free points and played a Choise-less GT. This game really isn't something to brag about. Peerman looked very good as did the D, but you guys should have lost that game.

Please bro, and Dwyer is not that much worse than Choice. And how can Chris Long batting the ball down causing it to go all over the place and eventually get the pick 6 a free play. When you put your hands up good things happen.

draftguru151
09-22-2007, 04:43 PM
That ball got hit 3 times and a DL caught it after the QB tried to bat it down. Yes that helped you win but that has nothing to do with the talent of the team, it was luck. Dwyer did well but you can't really believe that if Choice was healthy the game wouldn't have been different.

vatech=accdomination
09-24-2007, 07:48 AM
you guys made bennett beat you with his arm, congratulations.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Virginia Tech beats UNC 17-10, very good win for their ball club. Branden Ore was somewhat impressive for the first time this year as they were good on the ground, Eddie Royal had some explosive plays. Tyrod Taylor though is the reason why I still think they won't win the ACC. He is probably the worst passing starting QB in the ACC right now, and his scrambling is no better than Marcus Vick, although Glennon blows and is worse they should have redshirted him this year, he has a lot to learn that by playing him now you are only developing bad habits.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2007, 06:29 PM
UVA up 20-0 vs Pitt in the middle of the first quarter. Cedric Peerman is the best back in the conference outside of the Clemson boys.

draftguru151
09-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Ah, I thought that game started at 7:30 >_<.

SuperKevin
09-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Tyrod Taylor though is the reason why I still think they won't win the ACC. He is probably the worst passing starting QB in the ACC right now, and his scrambling is no better than Marcus Vick, although Glennon blows and is worse they should have redshirted him this year, he has a lot to learn that by playing him now you are only developing bad habits.

I agree with this statement 100%. Playing Tyrod Taylor this year is going to come back to haunt them.

HChu
09-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Curse you Georgia Tech!!!!!!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Curse you Georgia Tech!!!!!!

Making UVA's win vs Gatech even that more impressive, they are building up steam and with their 44-14 win vs Pitt tonight and next two vs Middle Tennessee and Connecticut, they should be 5-1 when they go back into conference play.

toonsterwu
09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, UVA"s certainly looking good right now. Pretty happy about Peerman finally delivering on his potential. But I'm already looking forward to 2008-2009 in some respects, because UVA could be real good, with so many returning guys. We lose a couple interior OL guys, but they can be replaced, and we have depth at TE. Sure, loss of Chris Long hurts, but there's enough depth, I think, to withstand said loss. We get Ogletree back, and the kids develop some more. If Sewell develops as a passer, we could be real good.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-30-2007, 06:34 PM
But losing Chris Long and Nate Lyles is losing the attitude of the defense and it's 2 best players. Not to mention we lose our TE duo of Jonothan Stupar and Tom Santi, as well as Dias and the kicker.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-30-2007, 06:38 PM
FSU now actually has a chance of winning their division.

vatech=accdomination
10-01-2007, 07:37 AM
i went to the game saturday, the offense is not the best, but Bryan Stinespring makes it that much worse, there has been no vertical passing game at all this season, 4 wide then a screen pass, or a run up the middle. when he opens up the playbook they dont do bbad, getting Eddie Royal the ball will be the key to the rest of the season. I could honestly see us not going to a bowl game unless we try something different than we have done the last 4 years.

BamaFalcon59
10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Ugh, next year is going to suck IMO for Hokie fans. Sophmore, still somewhat raw QB, probably Ore departing due to age, top 4 WRs gone, Duane Brown gone, Chris Ellis (although not amazing) gone, Adibi and Hall gone, DJ Parker gone, maybe a CB or both leaving, nickle leaving, top 3 interior defensive line. Etc Etc. Damn. I hope Tyrod turns out good.

As for this year, we have a good shot if Ore returns to dominance and Tyrod just makes enough plays. Our defense will be fine IMO.

toonsterwu
10-03-2007, 10:11 PM
But losing Chris Long and Nate Lyles is losing the attitude of the defense and it's 2 best players. Not to mention we lose our TE duo of Jonothan Stupar and Tom Santi, as well as Dias and the kicker.

I'm not too worried about those losses, relatively speaking. Granted, I'd love to keep them around, but their eligibility is up. TE wise, we have enough options. Phillips should be alright and capable. We'll get Ogletree back, and the young WR's have all gotten a year's development, so overall, the passing game should have enough options, and it comes down to Sewell's development as a passer.

Losing Gould hurts ... but eh, the kicker that was brought in this year, Hinkbein, wasn't he decently considered prospect wise? We have some young LB's to work in (guys from the last couple classes), so as long as Appleby and Sintim are back (and they should be) I think we'll be fine at LB.

I like Lyles, but he's a bit limited in coverage. I think J'Courtney is slated for his role, but not sure. We'll have to do some work there. Losing Chris Long is definitely a gigantic blow, but I'm excited about the kids. We're also losing Billyk, but Gottschalk's gotten some time to develop, and Nick Jenkins will be an option next year. Alex Field could also develop, there is the raw talent there.

Dunno, I just don't think the losses are that bad. It's a part of the process, and I think we really only lose 1 impact "irreplaceable" guy in Chris Long, but then again, guys have to step up and emerge, and Gottschalk was an intriguing addition a couple years back.

On a side note, our recruiting class seems a bit weak ... that said, coming off a poor year, and coming off a good recruiting year, I guess that was to be expected somewhat, considering we aren't an elite program that can just reload. But now that Groh has used the redshirt more, our RS freshman could provide a lot of help next year.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Toon any knowledge on Darrell Green's son Jared Green, he's a redshirt Frosh I believe and a wideout, he's gotta have speed being Green's son, he's listed at 6-2" so good size but that 165 pounds is scary, that's probably the biggest reason why he's redshirting to gain weight, but know anything about him, he wasn't highly recruited out of high school, I think UVA was his only offer and that was probably just to get Darrell into the Ulum association.

toonsterwu
10-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Only stuff I knew about Jared came from the recruiting cycle, and supposedly, the kid could burn and has a good work ethic but, as noted, needs to fill out some. I think he was late to football, or at least, a serious desire for football and hence why he was under the radar, but I think some metro area people were quite high on him as a sleeper. After all, if you are going to gamble on a sleeper, someone with that pedigree is worth it. I think he's potentially got 4.3/4.4 speed, although as he fills out, that may change. Probably never going to be as fast as dad (few will), and as he fills out a bit, it'll be interesting to see what happens, but there's raw potential.

Ona side note, we better not overlook MTSU today. We aren't dominant enough to overlook anyone, even a MTSU squad. That said, if we don't win, I'll be surprised.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Damn Miami, nice 2nd half comeback but you still loss to North Carolina, and Kyle Wright is still awful.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Lol everyone says Clemson should give it more to James Davis and Spiller, what do they do, they give them like a combined 15 carries, and Cullen Harper throws it 65+ times.

BamaFalcon59
10-07-2007, 03:17 AM
:D VaTech 4 the win

SeanTaylorRIP
10-11-2007, 01:51 PM
UVA plays undefeated Big East team UCONN this weekend, UCONN is no good but the Gyna is gonna be without Cedric Peerman. But I am so excited to see Keith Payne shoulder the load after actually being prepared this week, Andrew Pearman should have some long runs too.

RyanLeaf#1
10-11-2007, 01:54 PM
UVA plays undefeated Big East team UCONN this weekend, UCONN is no good but the Gyna is gonna be without Cedric Peerman. But I am so excited to see Keith Payne shoulder the load after actually being prepared this week, Andrew Pearman should have some long runs too.

Virginia is a 3 point favorite. Im very confused on this game.

vatech=accdomination
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Uconn had trouble with Pitt, i dont think it will be too close.

RyanLeaf#1
10-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Uconn had trouble with Pitt, i dont think it will be too close.

A 27-7 lead at half and a 34-14 final... Thats having trouble with someone?

SeanTaylorRIP
10-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Lol very true, but UCONN is solid could finish with 7-9 wins and near the middle-top of the big east, this will be a really good game considering how banged up UVA is. It is such a shame if UVA didn't screw up so badly week 1 in the shocker vs. Wyoming they would be undefeated, bowl eligible and in the top 20, but that's life. The biggest problem I think was Groh switching the QB's Sewell and Lalich every 2 drives or so, Jameel couldn't find rythym. Now that he's the man he's getting better every week and becoming that dual QB threat we all know he should be, with his great height and size the sky is the limit for him. The defense is one of the top 3 in the ACC, the LB's are all blue collared and fundamentally sound, our Dline is so underrated and might be the best in the conference, Chris Long is a top 15 pick, Fitzgerald will be better by the time he's a senior, Chris Cook is improved in coverage, Vic Hall is nice and contributes on special teams, and Nate Lyles is LaRon Landry without the covering skills. Hopefully UVA can land CB Darryl Hamilton brother of Marcus.

vatech=accdomination
10-11-2007, 02:11 PM
compared to what UVa did to Pitt, yes. but no, i guess the final score doesnt look as if they did.

vatech=accdomination
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
and in other news, Virginia Tech plays ACC flowerhouse Duke.......hopefully Ore doesnt play.

etk
10-11-2007, 05:09 PM
and in other news, Virginia Tech plays ACC flowerhouse Duke.......hopefully Ore doesnt play.

I'm not saying VT won't win, but Duke has given a scare to Miami & Wake Forest. Be careful of the parity in this conference...

SeanTaylorRIP
10-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm not saying VT won't win, but Duke has given a scare to Miami & Wake Forest. Be careful of the parity in this conference...

Yeah Thaddeus Lewis is one of the better QB's in the conference and only a sophomore, by the time he's a senior Duke will be a middle of the pack ACC team.

RyanLeaf#1
10-11-2007, 05:11 PM

Especially since its in Duke.... I expect them to say within the 13 point spread.

vatech=accdomination
10-11-2007, 05:51 PM
im wary of this game in general, the running game isnt good, nor is the offensive line. but im confident our defense will pull it out, i wouldnt be suprised if it was a loss.

etk
10-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah Thaddeus Lewis is one of the better QB's in the conference and only a sophomore, by the time he's a senior Duke will be a middle of the pack ACC team.

I completely agree. They keep improving in recruiting and this conference seems to be headed towards more of an SEC-style in parity. Lewis just needs to work on his decision making and improving his Comp. %. Anyone can really compete and a lot has to do with home field and momentum. The problem for Duke is that the other lesser programs like NC State & UNC have hired accomplished coaches and are working hard on improving their programs. Either way, the days of 30-40 point spreads are long gone.

yourfavestoner
10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
So is Xavier Lee still the savior of FSU football?

yourfavestoner
10-12-2007, 04:47 PM

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 05:57 PM
UConn will beat Virginia. Gut feeling.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-12-2007, 06:44 PM
UConn will beat Virginia. Gut feeling.

Duke will beat Tech, that's a fact. Wahoo's won't lose with Keith Payne pounding the ball inside, and Andrew Pearman taking it outside, granted Connecticut is the 5th ranked defense in the nation but they haven't been tested much yet, sucks for UVA not having their best offensive player, and their starting CB but their overall depth and talent is far superior to UCONN.

NYGibril28
10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Duke will beat Tech, that's a fact. Wahoo's won't lose with Keith Payne pounding the ball inside, and Andrew Pearman taking it outside, granted Connecticut is the 5th ranked defense in the nation but they haven't been tested much yet, sucks for UVA not having their best offensive player, and their starting CB but their overall depth and talent is far superior to UCONN.

Yeah, but I played HS basketball against UConn WR D.J. Hernandez, so, they will win.

It's homerism, not fact on my part. I think they have a good shot though, but Virginia is definitely the favorite.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I hate BC but I can only pray Notre Dame doesn't even come close cause if they do that would be a huge blow to the ACC's reputation, but it is possible considering they almost loss to UMASS.

etk
10-13-2007, 10:14 AM

I never considered him a savior, but he's definitely a big step up from Weathersuck. Some of his throws against Wake Forest were eye-popping, and his TD run was effortless. Problem is he gets frustrated sometimes and forces the ball deep when it's not there.

Miami-GT in less than an hour. Could be one of those grind-it-out games. We have the advantage if it does.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Whew, bad game for VA, but they take down an undefeated team despite huge injuries prior to the game. Chris Long is an absolute beast, right now, as a college player the best DE in the conference. He had 6 tackles and 2 sacks, but had about 5 almost sacks in which he hit the QB and the QB threw it away, and he had a dozen pressures. Every single play he was all over the place and his motor is unreal, you will see him making a tackle 18 yards down the field. He really saved the game for UVA. His big sack was freakish he ripped through a triple team. UVA's offense wasn't good, they should have given it more to Keith Payne especially at the end of the game, he is a bruiser, although I understand why they haven't crushed him with carries. He was diagnosed with Sleep apnea and is tired quite often, but next week he receives some kind of device to cure the problem, so after that full out Payne Train!!!

NYGibril28
10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Whew, bad game for VA, but they take down an undefeated team despite huge injuries prior to the game. Chris Long is an absolute beast, right now, as a college player the best DE in the conference. He had 6 tackles and 2 sacks, but had about 5 almost sacks in which he hit the QB and the QB threw it away, and he had a dozen pressures. Every single play he was all over the place and his motor is unreal, you will see him making a tackle 18 yards down the field. He really saved the game for UVA. His big sack was freakish he ripped through a triple team. UVA's offense wasn't good, they should have given it more to Keith Payne especially at the end of the game, he is a bruiser, although I understand why they haven't crushed him with carries. He was diagnosed with Sleep apnea and is tired quite often, but next week he receives some kind of device to cure the problem, so after that full out Payne Train!!!

Was at work and didn't catch the game? Did Virginia really play that bad or did UConn play good? Maybe a little bit of both?

SeanTaylorRIP
10-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Was at work and didn't catch the game? Did Virginia really play that bad or did UConn play good? Maybe a little bit of both?

Lets not forget UCONN was undeafeated having blown through most of their opponents albiet not great competition but UVA's offense was awful. Sewell didn't play good and they were missing Peerman plus UCONN has the 4th ranked defense in the nation and never miss tackles, but they pulled out the win, a win is a win, and at 6-1 are already bowl eligible, it's a damn shame if they weren't so unprepared week one vs an inferior Wyoming team they could be 7-0 right now and be in the top 15.

weezer1195
10-13-2007, 11:47 PM
wakes legit, BC stumbles and wake wins the atlantic finishing strong...mark it.

vatech=accdomination
10-14-2007, 11:40 AM
i dont think wake will win the ACC. huge showdown next thursday in blacskburg, #2 vs #10 or #11.

etk
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Kenny Moore is legit, Wake isn't.

weezer1195
10-14-2007, 06:49 PM
ohhh thats rich a miami fan is trying to get big and let me guess you guys are for real? FSU fans and miami fans get the award for most delusional fan base. Every year preseason miami and fsu are top ten in their eyes and kyle wright and x-lee/weatherford are just itching to have a break out year...right?

who has miami beat? a&m which isnt as impressive anymore, marshall, fla intl., and duke. Losses to oklahoma, unc, and g-tech.

Wake has beat maryland, army, florida state and duke. Lost to the present #2 team in the nation by ten and then lost to nebraska with their back-up qb in cause Riley got hurt during the BC game. Nebraska may suck now but pre-blowup they werent terrible.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Big week for ACC football, separation saturday in the ACC. Florida State vs. Miami, Maryland vs. UVA, BC vs. Tech next week, as well as Wake Forest in a tough game against Navy. Should be exciting, especially with Duke and UNC on byes.

ncst8fan83
10-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Ghetto, I'm here to eat my crow. UVA is good, man. Good luck the rest of the way!!!

toonsterwu
10-20-2007, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't say UVA is good ... but we are solid, and doing enough of the little things to get the wins. Off the top, outside of Pittsburgh, we really haven't blown anyone out. That said, strong defense paired with a solid run game has been an age-old recipe for winning. Wish Sewell's passing skills would develop ... but eh we are winning. A win tonight would be huge, but to be honest, I've been looking to 2008-2009, when, if all goes well, we should be better, as a lot of our kids would've gotten experience, provided that Sewell has improved in some form in the passing game.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Ghetto, I'm here to eat my crow. UVA is good, man. Good luck the rest of the way!!!

Ghetto is a forgiving man. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

SeanTaylorRIP
10-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Chris Long is such a pimp, I think it's pretty clear he's the best DE in college football. Campbell will probably still be picked first but IMO if I am a team in the top 10 unless I am a team that is on a 5 year plan I'd take Long over Campbell. Campbell has far better potential but Long for a bad team is a safe pick. You know he will be good with potential to be great. His technique and motor are unmatched in college football, and he is an underrated athlete. This 2nd half will be really exciting Ball and Lattimore have been doing great but Chris Turner has done nothing. For Maryland on Defense Dre Moore is looking like a first round prospect though Henderson still hobbled by injury looks a step slow but is still making plays. For UVA's offense Mickell Simpson has been a pleasant surprise and Andrew Pearman should not get back in the game. Simpson is taking his role and Payne is showing some true power which is what I want to see. Losing Santi though hurts bad.

toonsterwu
10-20-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm not so sure that Chris Long won't be ahead of Calais Campbell anymore for some, which, despite being a UVA fan, surprises me. I'm not sure why a guy like Kentwan Balmer, who has been impressive, but still strikes me as a NFL wave guy and strikes me as a guy who has peaked, gets more pub than Dre Moore, who I think can make a quality NFL starter and still has room for growth.

weezer1195
10-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Chris Long is a beast he was running sh*t today.

ACC
1. Chris Long
2. Calais Campbell
3. Jeremy Thompson

SeanTaylorRIP
10-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Damn Mikeel Simpson ran his ass off tonight, 271 total yards, 2 td's, and the game winner, I'll admit I didn't like him stemming from last year and was glad to start the season he wasn't getting any pt but damn he was electric. Groh said earlier in the year before it started that he was gonna use Simpson as a poor man's Reggie Bush so the first week seeing him get no action I wondered were that was. Looks like Cedric will be out for some time so Simpson should take Andrew Pearman's role and continue to give the Payne train 10-15 carries a game. Pearman should just focus on his job as a return man and help out as a wideout. Payne looked really good showing some speed and not going down easy. It will really be interesting to see how good he will be in 3 years. Fitzgerald is looking real good and if he can learn to play with the passion Long has and develop more moves he has potential to be better because he has greater tools to work with and is still so young. But damn the announcing was so annoying last night. They called Jameel Sewell Jamal Sewell all game long, learn to read, then they started calling him Jamal Simpson, also Simpson is a redshirt sophomore and they kept emphasizing that he's a true freshmen, then they said Chris Long did the L sign after his sack to combat what Lattimore did when he scored the TD, but Long has been doing that sign after every sack since his high school days.

HChu
10-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Touché Ghetto, Virginia is looking really good this year. Especially with Chris Long just being an absolute meast, and a surprisingly cohesive offense.

vatech=accdomination
10-21-2007, 10:27 AM
After watching UVa, there Oline is probably the best in the ACC, although i was dissapointed they and Miami won yesterday. Now time to find out how good VT is.

BC
at UVa
Miami
FSU
at GT

like i said a few weeks ago, im happy we are already bowl eligible.

dcarey20
10-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Chris Long has established himself as the top senior prospect for the 2008 draft. He is nothing short of amazing.

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 11:06 AM
We've got a winnable game against @ NC State coming up before the tough part of our schedule kicks in (and granted, with the ACC the way it is this year, that isn't saying that much). Wake Forest, @ Miami, and Virginia Tech. I think we can win all three games, but every phase of the game is going to have to be tightened up. I'm glad we get Wake and Tech at home.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-21-2007, 01:33 PM
It's sad we could be a top 10 team if we didn't lose the first game to Wyoming.http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif
It was just a bad game.

ncst8fan83
10-21-2007, 04:44 PM
We've got a winnable game against @ NC State coming up before the tough part of our schedule kicks in (and granted, with the ACC the way it is this year, that isn't saying that much). Wake Forest, @ Miami, and Virginia Tech. I think we can win all three games, but every phase of the game is going to have to be tightened up. I'm glad we get Wake and Tech at home.

sounds like a great trap game to me then!!! :)

toonsterwu
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
It sure could be, and I have much respect for Tom O'Brien from all his days at UVA, and with what he did at BC.

Btw ... UVA 15th in the BCS ... man that Wyoming game bites now ... that said, as noted before, i was more or less waiting on 2008-2009 with anything that happened this year as gravy.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
It sure could be, and I have much respect for Tom O'Brien from all his days at UVA, and with what he did at BC.

Btw ... UVA 15th in the BCS ... man that Wyoming game bites now ... that said, as noted before, i was more or less waiting on 2008-2009 with anything that happened this year as gravy.

Yeah but just imagine it, obviously it's far fetched but not that crazy, but imagine if we win out and win the ACC. We will be a top 5 team, but know we won't be going to the National championship because a first week loss to Wyoming. If we didn't lose to them we'd be ranked 4-11 right now, but hey that's what happens when you don't prepare and underestimate a team.

weezer1195
10-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I watched the Virginia game and got the impression that Maryland was the better team. They let the game get away but with their starting QB you never know how it could have turned out. UVA looked like a solid team but even if they did beat wyoming I still dont think they are top ten material.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
I watched the Virginia game and got the impression that Maryland was the better team. They let the game get away but with their starting QB you never know how it could have turned out. UVA looked like a solid team but even if they did beat wyoming I still dont think they are top ten material.

Maryland's starting QB Steffy is worse than Turner. That and we were without our best corner, as well as our leading rusher and receiver.

ncst8fan83
10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
sounds like a great trap game to me then!!! :)

who called it???? :) great, great game though!! is sewell alright?

3 keys to the game, in my opinion: a) we kept chris long at bay most of the night b) we kept simpson under 100 yards rushing c) sewell got hurt during crunch time which threw the true freshman lalich into the fire where willie young came up big for the 2nd game in a row.

nothing better than a state win and a carolina ass-whoopin' in the same day!! thanks wake!! :D

toonsterwu
10-28-2007, 12:33 AM
it was a heck of a win for TOm O'Brien, and the bye week seems to have done wonders for you guys. I didn't catch the end so I didn't know Sewell got hurt. That being said, he wasn't exactly having a stellar performance up to that point.

O'Brien will get you guys on the right track soon enough.

ncst8fan83
10-28-2007, 09:27 AM
they said on the state broadcast that it looked like severe cramping, but i'm hoping that's all it was!! we doubled chris long most of the night, but I was kind of surprised UVA didn't put more pressure on Evans than they did. Giving up 350 yards to Daniel Evans is shameful!! :) Donald Bowens is a BEAST though!! remember him in a couple years toon, when you're doing your scouting for the NFL Draft! ;)

SeanTaylorRIP
10-28-2007, 02:01 PM
they said on the state broadcast that it looked like severe cramping, but i'm hoping that's all it was!! we doubled chris long most of the night, but I was kind of surprised UVA didn't put more pressure on Evans than they did. Giving up 350 yards to Daniel Evans is shameful!! :) Donald Bowens is a BEAST though!! remember him in a couple years toon, when you're doing your scouting for the NFL Draft! ;)
It was a combination of Bowens great athletic ability and Dowling blowing bad. We couldn't have put any more pressure. Evans threw the ball out quick every play, basically a jump ball every single play, and all except one NC State won them. Also I do not understand UVA's offensive gameplan. I mean Sewell throwing 45 passes when we are struggling in pass protection makes no sense. It's not like we had a huge deficit to come back from. Simpson was alright, and Payne looked good with his limited carries so why not grind it out, instead of trying to force Sewell to make passes he can't. Our offense is built around pounding the ball in the run game, throwing screen passes, and taking a shot every once in a while when the stack the box, but yesterday Sewell threw about 20 passes downfield none which were close. Bad play calling by UVA, great game by NCState.

weezer1195
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
UVA versus WAKE... get your popcorn ready

I think itll be a close game but I like Wake's chances. Our offense has been getting better each week in not turning it over and being efficient. Meanwhile our D is on a season wide rampage of scoring TDs and the kick return game was superb versus UNC with two returned 80+ yards and one went for six. I think if wake doesnt turn the ball over they win.

vatech=accdomination
10-30-2007, 01:44 PM
NC State became one of my favorite teams last weekend, although that now puts Miami back into the title hunt.

etk
10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
NC State became one of my favorite teams last weekend, although that now puts Miami back into the title hunt.

It still sucks having to cheer for other ACC rivals just to have a decent shot. Go GT!!

toonsterwu
11-02-2007, 02:24 AM
UVA versus WAKE... get your popcorn ready

I think itll be a close game but I like Wake's chances. Our offense has been getting better each week in not turning it over and being efficient. Meanwhile our D is on a season wide rampage of scoring TDs and the kick return game was superb versus UNC with two returned 80+ yards and one went for six. I think if wake doesnt turn the ball over they win.

Sure is a huge game for both sides. A loss by Wake and their chances to reach the championship game is basically gone. A loss by UVA puts us in the trail position. Should be a good game. I obviously hope UVA wins, thus allowing us to have a shot at the championship game, but it should basically be a toss up.

georgiafan
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Last night was the best performance by a QB wearing a GT jersey in 5 years. :)

vatech=accdomination
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
lol, and it was sean glennon nonetheless.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
They should just leave in Glennon at this point he's a 10 times better passer than Tyrod.

toonsterwu
11-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Huge win for UVA. Keeps us on pace with Virginia Tech. Tough game against Miami, though, so can't look ahead to the Hokies just yet.

etk
11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Huge win for UVA. Keeps us on pace with Virginia Tech. Tough game against Miami, though, so can't look ahead to the Hokies just yet.

Don't kid yourself, Miami doesn't even deserve to step on the field with Virginia. Chalk up the division if you beat VATECH.

draftguru151
11-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Kyle should be back so I don't know about that. Kirby yes, Kyle it should be a game.

etk
11-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Kyle should be back so I don't know about that. Kirby yes, Kyle it should be a game.

Freeman, Wright, Manning, Brady...the officials will still have a personal vendetta against us. It's hard to beat an evenly matched opponent when they have a 12th man.

toonsterwu
11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
UVA plays almost all it's games close ... so I think it should be another tight game ... we just don't have the explosiveness on offense to do much ... i will be curious to see how well Miami can run on UVA ... there should be some running lanes ...

SeanTaylorRIP
11-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Man new NCAA record 6 wins of 3 points or less, I believe this is the 2nd time we have won 17-16, you know it's gonna go down to the wire with UVA but it was a good team effort. I will admit I hate how the last 2 weeks even early in the game Sewell is throwing it too much, that's the 2nd week in a row throwing over 40 passes, and while many were screens and what not he is trying to make too many down field throws he can't make. He is clutch though.

BamaFalcon59
11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Virginia is either really lucky or really clutch.

I think VaTech can beat FSU and Miami, but they have so much athletic ability coupled with our inconsistent offense that they have a shot to win.

I actually like how we match up against Virginia in comparison to Florida State.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Virginia is either really lucky or really clutch.

I think VaTech can beat FSU and Miami, but they have so much athletic ability coupled with our inconsistent offense that they have a shot to win.

I actually like how we match up against Virginia in comparison to Florida State.

6 wins by 3 points or less is no longer luck, it's not like the wins have fallen into our laps, every win we have made a final game winning drive on offense and our defense then comes in big with sacks or INT's to ice the game.

BigDawg819
11-04-2007, 09:17 AM
The Seminoles getting a statement win in BC! Hopefully this is the type of win that gets the program back to where they belong.

Iamcanadian
11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Man, the ACC is weak. The top teams just aren't there. Funny how the Big East has passed the ACC as a conference even after the ACC grabbed their top 3 teams.

JagHombre22
11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Weatherford had a monster game...maybe that was his coming out party....

JagHombre22
11-04-2007, 09:50 AM
No way is the Big East better than the ACC....

The big east has one good team...West Virginia...

a couple of OK teams...SF, UConn, Louisville...

everyone else...blah...

Iamcanadian
11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
No way is the Big East better than the ACC....

The big east has one good team...West Virginia...

a couple of OK teams...SF, UConn, Louisville...

everyone else...blah...

You forgot Rutgers and Cincy and at least they have 1 good team, the ACC has none.

ncst8fan83
11-04-2007, 10:09 AM
dammit i'm loving our 2nd season!!! 3 wins in a row? are you kidding me? i must say, i was skeptical about the O'Brien hire, but considering all the injuries we've had, he's made me a bigtime believer. As for Miami, y'all need to pull Freeman's scholly after that game!! I really, really hope we kick UNC's ASS next weekend just like we will all bball season!! :)

vatech=accdomination
11-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Man, the ACC is weak. The top teams just aren't there. Funny how the Big East has passed the ACC as a conference even after the ACC grabbed their top 3 teams.

you are aware Uconn, the top BE team, lost to UVa? Maybe if VT had their schedule we would be 9-0, but we lost to the #2 and #8 teams in the nation.

marks01234
11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Glad to see the overrated BC team getting knocked off by FSU.

LOL at the big east being better than the ACC.

weezer1195
11-07-2007, 05:38 PM
man i dont know how my boys lost to uva but its football and it happens. What are the odds stud sam swank misses two field goals but then again it should never have come down to that. Wake play calling was absurdly ultra conservative and props to uva for pulling it out.

ACC is weak no way around it. And I mean weak as in down from past years but I still think its better then the Big East.

Next year should be better but you never know. Clemson's running backs stay intact and they are still in the hunt, Wake returns almost everyone but a couple guys notable kenny moore, UVA is young, VT has TT ready to give that offense a boost, and you never know when FSU and Miami will get their stuff together.

All I have to say is that i will be royally pissed if the polls try pullin that crap where they rank FSU/Miami preaseason based on pure hype again.

draftguru151
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Cause UM was ranked this preseason? :rolleyes:

SeanTaylorRIP
11-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I am scared of the U this weekend to be honest, last game in the orange bowl they will be passionate.

draftguru151
11-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I was ridiculously close to going to that game for free too. >_< Stupid UM changed the way students get tickets. Wright is going to start but he still is very banged up. If we come out and play with some energy and some of the defensive players wake up we should have a chance, it will likely be a close game no matter what though.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-08-2007, 02:22 PM
I was ridiculously close to going to that game for free too. >_< Stupid UM changed the way students get tickets. Wright is going to start but he still is very banged up. If we come out and play with some energy and some of the defensive players wake up we should have a chance, it will likely be a close game no matter what though.

Yeah other than when we blowed out Pitt, we refuse to win by a lot, we have to make it close. It's kinda that situation, we play up against superior opponents, but play down to inferior competition.

RonnieRun23
11-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna be at the game. It'll be interesting with Wright as QB.

etk
11-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I think the score will be 7-0 Miami at the half, and we'll end up losing 17-10.

BamaFalcon59
11-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Tyrod Taylor will be a good one. 3rd and 31. Wow.

toonsterwu
11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Ouch for Miami ... I thought UVA would win ... but I figured it'd be a close game. I'm not watching the game right now ... just following it, so I don't know if there's any extenuating circumstances, but still ... 24-0?

On a side note, I don't see how the Big East is better than the ACC, no disrespect intended for Big East fans. But even if you believe that UVA is getting lucky, I still see 3 quality teams in the ACC, 3 teams that can play with the majority of teams in the country in Boston College, Virginia Tech, and Clemson. I see one team in the Big East that you could make that claim on ... and that'd be West Virginia. I think the ACC's top 4 (Boston College, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Virginia however you want to order it) is better than the Big East's top 4 (West Virginia, Connecticut, Cincinnati, and pick whichever one you want 4th ...). I think the 2nd tier teams in the ACC are equal, if not better than, the Big East's 2nd tier.

Again, no disrespect intended for the Big East. I think the ACC is in a down year, but I think its better than the Big East.

On a side note, great scheduling foresight by the ACC huh? Clemson vs. BC and UVA vs. VA Tech to end the seasons ... with the winners deciding what the ACC title game will look like. Personally, I think Clemson wins vs. BC. No comment on the UVA game, as I have obvious biases.

draftguru151
11-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm gonna go cry. brb

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm gonna go cry. brb

Sorry 31-0 at the half, lol, I mean Miami has the talent but the QB situation is just laughable. Although I will say having seen Miami pound so many teams in the past it just looks so weird to see them as no longer the freaks they used to be. When I used to watch them they just would be on another level in terms of speed but Virginia is just running with them and more. You'd expect Miami to come out emotional with their last game at the Orange Bowl but I guess not.

KILLERSANTA
11-10-2007, 07:59 PM
kyle wright = Reggie Ball good

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
kyle wright = Reggie Ball good

Kirby Freeman last week was one of the funniest displays of the QB position I have ever seen.

KILLERSANTA
11-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Kirby Freeman last week was one of the funniest displays of the QB position I have ever seen.

Oh, is that what he was trying to do last week, play QB? I couldn't really tell.

etk
11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Did this really just happen? Are we even gonna show up to Blacksburg next week? What's the sense?

KILLERSANTA
11-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Did this really just happen? Are we even gonna show up to Blacksburg next week? What's the sense?

I'm so pissed right now! I want kyle wright dead!

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh my gosh, never in my wildest dreams, UVA beats Miami 48-0, oh my, that's shocking.

neko4
11-10-2007, 09:32 PM
GAME OVER (maybe)
Darel Scott 57 Yard TD!

Maryland 34-21 over BC right now late in the 3rd

etk
11-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Oh my gosh, never in my wildest dreams, UVA beats Miami 48-0, oh my, that's shocking.

In our last freaking game in the OB!!!!!! So embarrassing to the program and the alumni who actually played with heart to earn the respect and admiration towards the "U".

neko4
11-10-2007, 09:38 PM
What is Miami lacking? its kinda sad really to see this giant falling so far.
Im guessing its coaches

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
What is Miami lacking? its kinda sad really to see this giant falling so far.
Im guessing its coaches

Yes QB blows but it's the attitude, they used to come in thinking they were the ish, now they come in thinking they suck and will lose. No reason in the world even if Akili Smith is your QB there is no reason in the world how you can lose 48-0 at home in an emotional game when you have two potential top 10 picks next year in Campbell and Phillips, two excellent RB's in James and Cooper, athletes at WR(Not the best they have had but 100x better than the UVA wideouts), to go with a bunch of other great talent. It is just mind boggling, but while QB has been awful no matter who it has been, the O-line is equally pathetic, and special teams is also playing poorly across the board.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 09:43 PM
My Conference projections are:

Atlantic:
1) Boston College
2) Maryland
3) Clemson
4) Wake Forest
5) Florida State
6) NC State

Coastal:
1) Virginia- No joke already 2-0 in ACC play they have the best defense and a top 5 RB in the conference.
2) Virginia Tech
3) Georgia Tech
4) Miami
5) North Carolina
6) Duke

My conference projections from the start of the season aren't as crazy as everyone said they would be, my coastal division projections are money.

BigDawg819
11-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I loathe Christian Ponder!

neko4
11-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Maryland shoulda beat Wake, and maybe Rutgers, either way they should be better

ncst8fan83
11-10-2007, 10:03 PM
GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/sports/ncsu/2007/11/10/2028044/1194736861_stateCarolina_05_8480-600x399.jpg

BigDawg819
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Maryland shoulda beat Wake, and maybe Rutgers, either way they should be better

Maryland did beat Rutgers.

draftguru151
11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I really didn't watch much of this game because I couldn't stand it for the most part so I'll give some more in depth thoughts tomorrow morning but I really cannot put any blame on the coaches. This team isn't talented and the mentality they have that ghetto mentioned isn't from this staff, it's from the past staff. This team is in a bad need of a overhaul, some of which is already started. We've got some young guys on OL that I like, especially at guard. We're likely going to have 4 freshman QBs next year, and one of them better be starting from day 1. We brought in 3 or 4 WRs last year and we'll bring in 3 to 4 next year. Hopefully Shields wakes up. We've got athletes at TE. The offense is likely going to be very young but I like some of the guys next year. I really just want this season to end.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!

http://wwwcache.wral.com/asset/sports/ncsu/2007/11/10/2028044/1194736861_stateCarolina_05_8480-600x399.jpg

No one cares about the Carolina teams, they blow. Clemson and Wake are on another level.

ncst8fan83
11-11-2007, 09:31 AM
No one cares about the Carolina teams, they blow. Clemson and Wake are on another level.

it's a good thing i don't give a flying **** about your opinion then, huh? i'm excited about a win over our rivals, **** off if you don't like it. i didn't gloat after we beat virginia or miami, did i?

oh yeah, wake is just on another level, they really hung in there with clemson yesterday.

so, if we beat wake and maryland the next two weeks and end up 7-5, you're still going to say we "blow"?

RonnieRun23
11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Thank you Larry Coker. Thank you for ruining a great program. I have faith Shannon will turn the ship around.

vatech=accdomination
11-11-2007, 07:41 PM
miami, LOL! that was the funniest thing ever, heres 10 million miami, here people who donated a 48-0 loss. tyrod taylor is the best true freshman qb in the nation.

BamaFalcon59
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Virginia vs. Virginia Tech..

You would think we matched up against them decently because they lack an amazing offense, but they really hung some points on Miami. Tyrod looked very good and the offense as a whole looked good the past 2 weeks for VaTech. Should be a good game, although I'm not sure what to expect from Virginia.

Miami should be angry against us next week, but they don't seem to have 'it'.

mikehop05
11-12-2007, 01:00 PM
you think BC got beat bad against maryland...

you shoulda saw what happened to their fans in the parking lots before the game....

SeanTaylorRIP
11-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Virginia vs. Virginia Tech..

You would think we matched up against them decently because they lack an amazing offense, but they really hung some points on Miami. Tyrod looked very good and the offense as a whole looked good the past 2 weeks for VaTech. Should be a good game, although I'm not sure what to expect from Virginia.

Miami should be angry against us next week, but they don't seem to have 'it'.

It Will be interesting. UVA is so talented on the D-line and LB’s that they have the potential to completely shut down the no more than average Virginia Tech offense. As far as our offense Vatech has potential to completely shut us down, but at the same time your defense is very aggressive and over runs plays and our offense is a bunch of screen passes and slants. Tech’s D needs to be patient because we are the most boring offense in the nation, if you get impatient you will be killed.

BamaFalcon59
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
It Will be interesting. UVA is so talented on the D-line and LB’s that they have the potential to completely shut down the no more than average Virginia Tech offense. As far as our offense Vatech has potential to completely shut us down, but at the same time your defense is very aggressive and over runs plays and our offense is a bunch of screen passes and slants. Tech’s D needs to be patient because we are the most boring offense in the nation, if you get impatient you will be killed.

Screens shouldn't be a problem. We have to be one of the best screen stopping teams in the nation. Ask Clemson, Boston College, and FSU (Chris Ellis read that beutifully in the FSU game).

If Taylor can get going that would help a lot. DL aren't so quick to get upfield if he starts taking off for good yardage, but if he cracks under pressure that hurts a lot.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't know I think Taylor will struggle unless you go deep. As a runner I am not worried, Long and Fitzgerald not only are non stop motor guys who can run them down but they are very disciplined, that and our LB's are sure tackler and Nate Lyles our safety and Chris Cook our corner will lay you out. I think your running game will be shut down. For Tyrod to be good in this game he needs to go deep and deep often. Our safeties and corners are susceptible to the big pass and because they are so physical towards the line of scrimmage. You should try your best to pick on Vic Hall or Dowling. As for UVA's offense it will struggle to do anything but our version of thunder and lightning in Payne and Simpson is very formidable. Also Sewell is accurate in the intermediate game and is the best scrambler in the conference right now. Yes Tyrod is a lot faster but Sewell is a much more intelligent runner, very elusive and hard to take down, similar to VY or Donovan Mcnabb of old. One thing he can't do however is go deep because we have no wideouts so that will pose a problem.

etk
11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
UVA will beat VT. That game's not for 2 weeks though, is it?

draftguru151
11-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Yea, Miami has VT this week. We have to beat them or BC to be bowl eligible. *sigh*

etk
11-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Yea, Miami has VT this week. We have to beat them or BC to be bowl eligible. *sigh*

I've given up all hope. The homer in me says we'll take down BC again, but then I'm just afraid we'll embarass ourselves more with a mid-major bowl loss.

BamaFalcon59
11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Miami Florida without a bowl? Weird to say the least.

Turtlepower
11-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Look on the bright side. No more Kyle Wright after this year... =D

draftguru151
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Kyle Wright>>>>>>>Kirby Freeman. I'm just hoping Marve or Harris don't suck.

etk
11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Jacory is the man...he just needs to bulk up.

BamaFalcon59
11-15-2007, 07:14 PM
The ACC has a nice thread going.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Big game next week UVA vs. Tech winner faces BC in the championship game.

etk
11-18-2007, 10:49 AM
How did Aaron Kelly drop that deep ball for Clemson? BC already has a title game berth in the bag so maybe they'll let up and we'll be bowl eligible.

draftguru151
11-18-2007, 10:55 AM
We really don't deserve to go to a bowl, but I could see BC coming out flat and us maybe having a chance.

fenikz
11-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I miss Ken Dorsey

http://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/content/awards/maxwell/2001/action_dorsey2.jpg

Hell even Brock Berlin

http://www.draftdaddy.com/images/players/brockBerlin.jpg

etk
11-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Brock could actually lead an offense as a Senior, I'd take him back any day.

Why is it so easy for us to recruit good running backs and defenders, but all of our QBs and WRs suck nowadays?

HChu
11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
How did Aaron Kelly drop that deep ball for Clemson? BC already has a title game berth in the bag so maybe they'll let up and we'll be bowl eligible.

Aaron Kelly should go die in a fire.

draftguru151
11-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Brock could actually lead an offense as a Senior, I'd take him back any day.

Why is it so easy for us to recruit good running backs and defenders, but all of our QBs and WRs suck nowadays?

I think a lot of that had to do with the coaching changes. If Werner were never fired I think Wright would have turned out fine. Injuries has really hurt WRs as well, Leggett, Moore and Jenkins all got hurt. That and from 04 to 06 the WR recruits were Leggett, Shields, Jones and Hill. Hopefully the 4 we brought in last year and the 4 we're bringing in this year turn out well.

sweetness34
11-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Honestly does anyone really care about ACC football anymore? You're "elite" team, well really isn't elite at all.

draftguru151
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
No, no one does care about the ACC anymore. I actually heard they were going to scrap the entire conference, and none of the schools were going to play football anymore.

Turtlepower
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I would love to see UVA against WVU. I just think that would be a good bowl game. =D

sweetness34
11-18-2007, 05:07 PM
No, no one does care about the ACC anymore. I actually heard they were going to scrap the entire conference, and none of the schools were going to play football anymore.

Aww don't get defensive dg, it's ok.

etk
11-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Honestly does anyone really care about ACC football anymore? You're "elite" team, well really isn't elite at all.

The ACC champ still gets an automatic BCS berth as far as I know, so that should be enough for every college fan to care about the ACC. The ACC is one of the most competitive conferences in that every team has a chance of winning
it (excluding Duke, for now). I'd take that over the Big 10, which is essentially a 2-team race, any day. What's the point of following conference play if you already know 80% of the teams have no shot?

fenikz
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
My new strategy for Saturdays is to live in the past, strictly 01' and 02' Miami footage from now on :)

draftguru151
11-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I just saw the all Big Ten team, so how about some predictions for the all ACC team?

QB- Matt Ryan
RB- Tashard Choice
RB- James Davis
WR- Hakeem Nicks
WR- Aaron Kelly
TE- Tom Santi
OT- Barry Richardson
OT- Gosder Cherilus
OG- Andrew Crummey
OG- Ian Cunningham
C- Steve Justice

DL- Chris Long
DL- Chris Ellis
DL- Darrell Robertson
DL- Calais Campbell
LB- Erin Henderson
LB- Xavier Adibi
LB- Tavares Gooden
DB- DeJuan Tribble
DB- Macho Harris
DB- Jamie Silva
DB- Kenny Phillips

toonsterwu
11-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Only big gripe I would have with that is Ian-Yates Cunningham ahead of Branden Albert.

etk
11-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I just saw the all Big Ten team, so how about some predictions for the all ACC team?

QB- Cullen Harper
RB- Tashard Choice
RB- Andre Callender
WR- Kenny Moore
WR- Aaron Kelly
TE- Tom Santi
OT- Barry Richardson
OT- Duane Brown
OG- Andrew Crummey
OG- Branden Albert
C- Steve Justice

DL- Chris Long
DL- Chris Ellis
DL- Dre Moore
DL- Calais Campbell
LB- Erin Henderson
LB- Phillip Wheeler
LB- Tavares Gooden
DB- Brandon Flowers
DB- Alphonso Smith
DB- Jamie Silva
DB- Kenny Phillips

weezer1195
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I second etk's lineup.

There is no way Alphonso Smith can be left off.

etk
11-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I second etk's lineup.

There is no way Alphonso Smith can be left off.

He's not just another college CB that gets a bunch of picks. Every time I watch WF play, he's shutting down the opposition. His name never stops being called and he's very gritty.

The offensive guards and defensive linemen were hard to pinpoint. So many options around the same level (Chris Long excluded).

toonsterwu
11-23-2007, 12:14 AM
This is a random comment, which sort of piggybacks off a previous conversation in this thread. Anyhow, while I think relatively speaking this is a down year for the ACC, I also think that the ACC gets unfairly bashed. I look around, and I think the ACC can compete with a lot of other conferences overall. I may get laughed at, but I'd take the ACC's top squads over the Big 10's. I personally think the Big 12 is overrated, but yeah, they get a nod over us. Same with SEC, at top and bottom. But Pac-10? Not sold that we don't match up. Big East? I like the ACC better.

etk
11-23-2007, 09:34 AM
This is a random comment, which sort of piggybacks off a previous conversation in this thread. Anyhow, while I think relatively speaking this is a down year for the ACC, I also think that the ACC gets unfairly bashed. I look around, and I think the ACC can compete with a lot of other conferences overall. I may get laughed at, but I'd take the ACC's top squads over the Big 10's. I personally think the Big 12 is overrated, but yeah, they get a nod over us. Same with SEC, at top and bottom. But Pac-10? Not sold that we don't match up. Big East? I like the ACC better.

I'd rank them:

1. SEC
2. PAC-10
3. BIG 12
4. ACC
5. BIG 10
6. BIG EAST

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah the big game just hours away, I can't wait, Go Hoos!!!

etk
11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't really care if we win or lose today, I just want to see us make Ryan look silly. I will be cheering on Virginia today, it's their year and they deserve it.

etk
11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
WTF was Nix thinking throwing the ball near the end of the half. It's called player personnel identification, and anyone with half a brain could've seen that pick coming. I don't blame Wright cause he sucks and I expected it, I blame the playcaller who decided not to run out the clock, giving BC the ball to put the game out of reach. I can't ******* watch this team play so now I'll turn my attention to the battle of Virginia.

fenikz
11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
umm Fire Randy Shannon!!!!!!!!!!

seriously what the hell is going on in this world, Kansas is ranked #2 and Miami sucks :(

etk
11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Miami score when I'm watching: 0-28
Miami score when I'm not: 14-0

Fire the whole team and bring in a new staff with 50+ recruits.

draftguru151
11-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Kyle Wright's career ended on a sack, how fitting.

fenikz
11-24-2007, 03:27 PM
if someone drafts him would you fire the GM on the spot?

ncst8fan83
11-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Marcus Stone>>>>>>>>>Tom Santi

SeanTaylorRIP
11-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Marcus Stone>>>>>>>>>Tom Santi

Umn how about no, Santi has sick hands, I'd take the 3 UVA tight ends before Stone.

ncst8fan83
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Umn how about no, Santi has sick hands, I'd take the 3 UVA tight ends before Stone.

lol, and stone doesn't? have you even watched him play? the guy is money. if you want to talk about pro potential, yeah Santi wins hands down. Stone has had a better year. Sorry.

BigJohn98
11-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Florida State is baaaaaaaaaad. I still don't get how we lost to Miami.

etk
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Florida State is baaaaaaaaaad. I still don't get how we lost to Miami.

Yeah, that slips my mind too. How did we beat FSU & TAMU????

DaBears9654
11-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I will warn you now, my mind functions in rather unusual ways. An on-topic example is noticing a couple of firsts in the conference title game, now that the 2007 match-up is set.

-1st repeat division champion. Va. Tech wins the Coastal Division in 2005 & 2007 (Georgia Tech wins it in '06) while, in order FSU, Wake Forest, and now BC win the Atlantic.
-1st rematch of a permanent inter-division game. As well as Virginia Tech vs. Boston College, you have Miami/Florida St., Georgia Tech/Clemson, Maryland/Virginia, North Carolina/North Carolina State, & Wake Forest/Duke.

What next? Va. Tech becomes the first Coastal champion to win the title game? Eh. Wouldn't surprise me.

vatech=accdomination
11-26-2007, 07:13 AM
so, uh ghetto, did you happen to, uh watch any games this weekend?

:)

vatech=accdomination
11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112607aaa.html

all acc team

SeanTaylorRIP
11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Lattimore should have been 2nd team instead of Adams.

etk
11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
-Lattimore should be 2nd team
-Monroe should have made it
-Wheeler should be 1st team
-Gooden should have made it

BigDawg819
11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Ugh.......the year just gets worse for Seminole fans with no Myron Rolle on the ACC Team. And no Tony Carter? Man these kids need to step it up next year and play like the Seminoles of old!

BamaFalcon59
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
VaTech.

:D

SeanTaylorRIP
12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
ACC Bowl Games: I don't think the ACC fares well in going over .500 in their bowl games

Champs Sports
Boston College vs. Michigan State
No Brainer BC will dominate this game.

Emerald
Maryland vs. Oregon State
Maryland has a shot to win this one. They have a good D and good running game, but Oregon State is really hot right now.

Roady's Humanitarian
Georgia Tech vs. Fresno State
Fresno I think will dominate this one.

Gaylord Hotels Music City
Kentucky vs. Florida State
Florida State has a small chance but I expect Kentucky to blow them out.

Chick-fil-A
Clemson vs. Auburn
Tough tough game for Clemson, Auburn can stop their running game. I have Auburn winning this one.

Gator
Texas Tech vs. Virginia
Probably the worst possible opponent Virginia could have drawn out. Their DB's are not great and Texas Tech's passing game which throws the ball out quick will make Chris Long and the rest of the D-line non factors. They throw the ball out too fast for them to make any moves. But still with our running game we can play ball control and win this, but it will be hard.

FedEx Orange
Virginia Tech vs. Kansas
Great draw for Tech, they will bother Reesing all day, this should be a blow out.

All in all I'm predicting a 3-4 bowl record.

toonsterwu
12-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't like the ACC matchups either.

My picks:

VA Tech over Kansas - Too much defense, and with Ore coming around, the Va Tech offense adds some needed balance.

Texas Tech over UVA - Love the fact that we are on a New Year's Day bowl ... which could help recruiting. But not a great matchup for us at all.

Clemson over Auburn - I do think Clemson is balanced enough with Cullen Harper, and the defense can make enough damage. Should be good, one of the better matchups, IMO.

Florida State over Kentucky - Reason being defensive speed. I think FSU can cause them some problems, but yeah, this goes in the tossup mix as well.

Fresno State over Georgia Tech - I think Tenuta keeps it close, but the O blows it.

Maryland over Oregon State - I think Maryland's getting better, but another tossup.

Boston College over Michigan State - BC should win this one, unless they are a bit let down with falling to the 4th slot.

So, I can see 5-2 ... but I can also see 1-6. No real gimmes ... surprisingly, I'd say the best chances for an ACC win is the BCS game. Just don't like the Jayhawks matchup with them.

weezer1195
12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Last time I checked WF was a member of the ACC. They play UConn in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. UConn is co-champion of the Big East this year but still not the name opponent your trying to draw if your a team looking to increase their rep.

My Picks:
VT over Kansas. VT's defense is unlike anything Kansas has seen all year. They are going to have a field day. Also VT looks like they are hot so Im pretty confident about this one.

Texas Tech over UVA. Real bad match up as previously noted. Unless UVA plays lights out D I dont see them being able to keep up with Tech. Plus Crabtree is a beast.

Auburn over Clemson. I think this game is a toss up. Clemson can be great on some days and terrible on others. Depends on which team shows up.

FSU over Kentucky. Another close game. I think Kentucky wins if Woodson plays like how he can but ill give FSU the benefit of the doubt after giving Auburn the nod.

GT over Fresno St. GT had their issues this year but I think they can pull this out.

Maryland over Oregon St. Maryland looked darn good at times during the season. Get the running game going and manage the game well with no turnovers and they win this one.

BC over MSU. Matt Ryan goes out with a win.

WF over UConn. Interesting game but I think WF has the advantage with the matchup of team speed. Wake's offense should have enough weapons to give UConn D issues. Kenny Moore carries them one last time.

etk
12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
My picks:

VA Tech over Kansas - Kansas hasn't seen a defense like this all year. VT's defensive backs will be over KU's receivers, and ST will play a factor as always.

Texas Tech over UVA - TT has improved this year, showing how much more dangerous their offense is with better recruits in the passing game. UVA's defense should cause some confusion leading to turnovers, but TT will rack up a ton of yardage and pull out a narrow victory.

Clemson over Auburn - Auburn is a very confusing team. If this game was a road game for them and not a neutral site, I'd give them the nod. Clemson has better talent offensively, but Auburn is tough and could win with some late-game magic.

Kentucky over Florida State - FSU's defense has been a disappointment this year. They definitely have the speed to cover the spread, and Jacob Tamme specifically, but I see Woodson and co. finishing the season strong.

Fresno State over Georgia Tech - I don't know very much about Fresno State this year, but I know that GT is bad. Bennett played well in last year's bowl, so maybe he can duplicate that success despite some struggles this season. Either way, they will need Choice to carry them on their shoulders. I might change my mind as it's really a toss-up.

Maryland over Oregon State - I like Maryland's run game and I think Oregon State is a bit overrated at this point. This could be a grind-it-out affair since both teams have good backs.

Michigan State over Boston College - MSU's pass defense is suspect, but I predict them to step it up and upset BC. They have a dynamic offense that can keep pace with BC, so it should be high-scoring and close.

I've got us at 3-4 right now. We will most likely end up just above or below average with all the toss-ups that could go either way.[/QUOTE]

toonsterwu
01-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Keeping this thread alive.

Anyhow, my early take on future UVA draft prospects as they currently stand (guys that have had meaningful time ... I mean the Payne train is talked about ... but he's behind a lot of backs)

Offense:

Jameel Sewell - Loads of talent. This isn't Michael Vick. More Troy Smith (albeit, lefty). Can he make Troy Smith like improvements in the passing game and develop a better understanding of it? Only time will tell. As it currently stands, he's a 4th-6th round type prospect, but loads of mobility exist.

Cedric Peerman - The instincts that I saw his freshman year showed itself, along with the toughenss. Questions on size and home run speed will exist. Quicker than fast, shows good vision. The Caddy's of the world are the exceptions ... guys like this are usually 3rd/4th round prospects with some ability to slide up a bit, but also the potential to fall (see Wali Lundy). Frame is what it is.

John Phillips - Tough TE who has gotten plenty of playing time. Lacks top end tools. Should be a solid receiver, but lacks breakaway speed. 5th to UDFA is the range.

Eugene Monroe - There's a reason he was arguably the top tackle prospect in HS. All the tools are there, and the flashes have been shown. A strong senior year vaults him into the first, but probably starts the year as a 2nd round talent.

Will Barker - Underrated. Here's a guy who's like Brad Butler ... but bigger. He has the mobility to potentially be moved to LT after Monroe leaves. That would boost his value. I think Cherilus is a decent comp. Barker can get bigger as well. Can he develop that nasty attitude like say, a James Marten? Currently probably a 3rd/4th type, but has the mobility to move up. Frame has room for growth.

Defense

Nate Collins - Underrated. Quick guy that plays the run well. Part of me thinks his best position is a 4-3 UT, although a 3-4 end role in the NFL may work. Probably a 4th/5th talent right now, but the mobility exists. Frame has room for growth.

Jeff Fitzgerald - The top defensive prospect at UVA, he will need to step up and show that he can guide Sean Gottschalk while maintaining his high production without Chris Long. As many know, he got left by the collegiate wayside when he was hurt his senior year, but UVA kept up with him. The tools are there. Could be in that Darren Howard mode. I see him as a 2nd rounder right now, but could slide into the first with a strong finish to his career. Better off as a strongside 4-3 end, although he has a better shot at sticking as a 3-4 end in the NFL. Can probably get a tad bigger, into the 290's.

Clint Sintim - A bit underrated, active player who is fiery. Potential 3-4 OLB, but I could see some team toying with him as a 3-4 ILB. Athleticism is the big question, but this shouldn't be a Kai Parham case. Guess is he's a 3rd/4th round type right now with some room for mobility.

Antonio Appleby - When he was playing with Parham, few paid attention to him. He's going to be better than Kai. Smart, instinctive tough player. Has the size to play inside as a 4-3 MIKE, play the SAM role, and the 3-4 ILB spots. Frame is possible for a 3-4 OLB role (former DE in high school I think), but seems more likely he sticks inside at the next level. 3rd/4th round type with small growth potential.

Jon Copper - Hard working guy doesn't seem to have the tools to stick at the next level. Late round/UDFA type who may make it somewhere as a special teams guy.

Byron Glaspy - Not enough tools to really think anything more than late round/UDFA if he gets the opportunity.

Vic Hall/Mike Brown/Mike Parker/Ras-I Dowling - All young CB's with the tools. Brown and Hall are probably the best of the bunch with their athleticism, but both are undersized. Dowling's intriguing ... too early for me to guess. Too lazy to give a guess here.

Can't wait to play USC. We've got a good squad coming back and they have some key personnel adjustments to make. It's an early game, and we are at home.

BigDawg819
01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on James Davis declaring for the draft? Frankly I think he should have stayed but I'm open to anyone convincing me otherwise.

toonsterwu
01-15-2008, 10:56 PM
i think he shoulda stayed as well. He's looking like a late 2nd/early 3rd at best, barring a superb offseason.

That said, I guess the other statement to be made is that, even next year, he's probably a 2nd rounder, at best, late first, unless guys like Wells don't come out. and rb's do wear down quicker.

DiG
01-15-2008, 11:55 PM
everyone knows about erin henderson and dre moore but heres some maryland guys that dont get much talk that could do somethin in the NFL

1. Andrew Crummey, OG (Projected Round 4-5) - Crummey sat for most of the season with an injury (fractured fibula) otherwise he could have been a guy drafted early in round 3. Before his injury he was a 4 year starter and led the Terps in starts with 33. He fought back this year and was able to start the final game of the season and the bowl game where he had two strong showings. I truly feel that he could be a huge steal in this draft. He has always been known as a leader on the offense even during his injury and extremely respected by the coaching staff. "Andrew has been a real pleasure," Coach Friedgen said. "He's a really talented football player and a very good student. He's one of the guys every coach loves: low maintenance, high production. My life would be a lot easier if I had more guys like that. I might even start growing hair and losing weight."

2. Joey Haynos, TE, 6'8, 263 (Projected Round 5-6) - Had a strong showing in 2006 with 37 receptions, 369 yards, and 3 tds and was awarded honorable mention All-ACC. He was named to preseason watch list for the 2007 John Mackey Award. He shared playing time through the first half of the season with Dan Gronkowski and Jason Goode (both very good TEs) but took over as the main guy starting again the last 5 games. In those last 5 games he hauled in 22 catches for 190 yards. Haynos has incredible size at 6 foot 8 and 263 lbs. He is projected to run a 4.80 50 yard dash but if he is able to get that into the low 4.7s he could improve his stock because he has solid hands and is an average run blocker at a minimum. Haynos will play in the Hula Bowl.

3. Lance Ball, RB, 5'9, 223 (Projected Round 6-Undrafted) - I'm really not quite sure why Ball doesn't show up in a lot of RB rankings. He ranks fourth on the school’s career rushing yards list (2,482) and tied for fourth on the career rushing TDs chart (26). He finished his senior season with 813 yards (4.2 avg) and 12 tds splitting carries evenly with Keon Lattimore. He also had very productive Sophomore and Junior seasons with 1,817 yards and 14 tds. Personally as a huge MD fan I wish he would have gotten the ball a lot more his senior year as I feel that he is a better all around back than Lattimore who he shared carries with. I expect him to run somewhere around a 4.48 at MD's pro day and I feel he could play a solid #2 role in the NFL in the right scheme. He's got good bulk and runs well north and south but can cut outside and break away in the open field. He was the man at picking up 1st downs on 3rd and short situations.

4. Keon Lattimore, RB, 5'11, 218 (Projected Round 6-Undrafted) - Disapointing career until this past season. As a senior Lattimore shared carries evenly with Ball and racked up 869 yards and 13 tds. Was named honorable mention All-ACC in 2007 and will play in the Hula Bowl. He is taller than Ball but not as strong and a bit slower. Probably will run a 4.55 40 time. He is most known as being Ray Lewis brother and could move up some boards due to his bloodline but if I were making the pick I'd prefer Ball.

5. Isaiah Gardner, CB, 5'11, 197 (Projected Round 6-Undrafted) - Gardner has decent timed speed. I expect he will run in the 4.45-4.50 range. He was originally signed to play at Notre Dame but transferred to Maryland his freshman year. He has started the last 26 games and recorded 60 plus tackles the last two seasons. Has a lot of experience but not a lot of upside and has never really shown signs of taking that next step. Could be a depth guy/dime back in the NFL.

Look out in the next few drafts as MD has some GREAT young studs:

-Heyward-Bey, Jr, WR (future round 1) - Blazing speed, Insane hands, Incredible size. Top 10 talent IMO.

-Dave Philistin, Jr, MLB (future round 1-2) - Very well could be a better prospect than Erin Henderson. In 2007 he had 8 straight games with double digit tackles. Finished with 124 tackles for the year. In 06 he posted a 40.5 inch vertical

-Adrian Moten, Fr, OLB (future round 1-2) - Continues a line of solid MD linebackers like Merrimen, EJ Henderson, D'Qwell Jackson, Erin Henderson, and Philistin. Was named to the Freshman All-America Honorable Mention Team with 50 tackles, including 7 1/2 tackles for loss, 5 1/2 sacks, 2 FF's, and 1 interception all without starting a game. At one point earlier this year, the second line on the linebacker two-deep chart read A. Moten, A. Moten and A. Moten

-Alex Wujciak, Fr, MLB (Future round 2-3) - Had an injury that kept him from playing in his freshman year but he was a HUGE recruit and will hopefully bounce back and contribute a lot next year as a sophomore.

-Scott Burley, Jr, OT (Future round 3-5) - Solid offensive line prospect who could elevate into the 3rd round with a good senior campaign. He was awarded second team All-ACC this past year as a junior.

SuperKevin
01-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Here is my list of offensive players I'm looking forward to seeing in 2008

Thaddeus Lewis QB Duke
The guy has strung together two straight solid seasons with a horrible Duke squad. I'm interested to see how he does in his junior year with QB guru David Cutcliffe coaching him.

CJ Spiller RB Clemson
How well does he handle being the #1 RB? Does he thrive with the extended carries or does he wear down and put up disappointing numbers when he no longer has James Davis to share time with.

Darius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
Does he continue to look like a future high first round pick or does the passing game struggle without a running game to balance? I think he's a 1st rounder regardless based on potential but if Turner/Portis struggles at QB then Bey could be in for a rough year.

Andrew Gardner OT Georgia Tech
About to begin his 4th year starting at LT. Almost left as a junior when he got a 5th round grade. I think he can work his way into the 1st round mix and be the top senior OT under the guidance of Paul Johnson.

toonsterwu
01-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Clemson will get Andre Ellington in there. Granted, not exactly the workhorse type either.

They do look good next year despite the loss of Davis and Merling. Off the top, they should be the ACC favorites entering 2008.

Edit: Btw, is it me, but Clemson sure looks like it might become a good DE factory. Adams/Merling the last two years. Ricky Sapp. They are getting Bowers and Crittenton. They had Kourtnei Brown last year who might be an edge prospect (or he could go the way of Charles Bennett). Jamie Cumbie played inside last year, but he could project to a strongside end role at the next level (although he could also be a UT or a 3-4 end projection as well.

SuperKevin
01-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Clemson will get Andre Ellington in there. Granted, not exactly the workhorse type either.

They do look good next year despite the loss of Davis and Merling. Off the top, they should be the ACC favorites entering 2008.

Edit: Btw, is it me, but Clemson sure looks like it might become a good DE factory. Adams/Merling the last two years. Ricky Sapp. They are getting Bowers and Crittenton. They had Kourtnei Brown last year who might be an edge prospect (or he could go the way of Charles Bennett). Jamie Cumbie played inside last year, but he could project to a strongside end role at the next level (although he could also be a UT or a 3-4 end projection as well.

I noticed that about the DEs too

etk
01-16-2008, 01:00 PM

I believe they're turning that into a selling point. Specifically Gaines Adams, who was an unfinished product to say the least when he arrived on campus as a 2* from 8-man ball.

I don't think Clemson will miss Davis much. Spiller proved against Auburn that he deserves more of the carries. I agree that they will be one of the top teams. Harper is by far the best QB in the ACC, and Korn provides insurance. I believe they'll get Jacoby Ford back from injury as another playmaker. Their defensive line will be a stength once again, and probably improve even without Merling. My only question marks for Clemson are their offensive line and OLB situations.

BamaFalcon59
01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
While Virginia Tech has a weak schedule next year I have to worry. We are losing 7 starters on defense, good ones too. The front seven will be losing 5 guys. Likely every lost starter (Chris Ellis, Barry Booker, Calton Powell, Xavier Adibi, Vince Hall, DJ Parker, Brandon Flowers) has a chance to get drafted, which is good for recruiting I guess. But we will be young. Very, very luck that Macho Harris is returning. Cornerback has young talent available but defensive tackle is thin.

On offense we lose the top four receivers, our left tackle, our runningback, and our fullback. I also do not like the two QB system, I wish Taylor could have been redshirted. I hope he gets the job outright. Amazing ability.

Special teams wise we lose our top return men but Macho Harris should step in. We also lose some kick blockers. But we will always be solid here.

The recruiting is great this year and should provide depth for years. If Branden Ore is gone for good we may have a true freshman starting next year in Ryan Williams. Kenny Louis Jr. is average but Jahre Cheeseman, Daren Evans, and Williams should give good competition at runningback. Also lots of recruits at WR that will need to step up. Linebacker as well but I doubt they start immediately.

Overall the offense should be improved but our backbone, being the defense, will be inconsistent, especially in the secondary. If Tyrod Taylor bulks up and studies some film he should be great. Too injury prone right now but he has talent.

Looking at the schedule (East Carolina, Furman, Nebraska, Duke, Georgia Tech., Miami Fl., North Carolina, Virginia, Boston College, Maryland, Florida State) we are very fortunate. Some easy games early on to get some experience and even late it does not get too tough. I would guess 8-3, which is good in a big transition year.

etk
01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I think Virginia Tech will finish 4th in the Coastal division next year, ahead of GT & Duke. Looking at their roster, 8-3 is very optimistic, no matter the schedule.

toonsterwu
01-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Hokies certainly have a nice schedule (compared to say, UVA's first game). Good shot to start 5-0 which should build some momentum. Final 6 games will be tough. At the very least, I think you should be able to pull out 2 games there, perhaps UNC/Boston College. I can buy a third win potentially, so yeah, I can see 8-3 potentially. I think that would be a situation where a lot of things went right for the Hokies, so more of a better case scenario.

SuperKevin
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
I hope Ike Whitaker gets some PT at WR for the Hokies this year

DiG
01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Darius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland
Does he continue to look like a future high first round pick or does the passing game struggle without a running game to balance? I think he's a 1st rounder regardless based on potential but if Turner/Portis struggles at QB then Bey could be in for a rough year.

dont forget about Da'Rel Scott. He was a redshirt freshman for us this year and averaged 9.3 yards per carry. He was a big time recruit and probably will have a better career than Ball and Lattimore.