PDA

View Full Version : Jason Taylor on Trading Block

JoeSixPac
09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
According to ESPN's "Truth and Rumors", the Dolphins should be looking to trade Jason Taylor for at least a 1st rounder before the Oct 14th trade deadline. Possible suitors include the Broncos, Colts, Seahawks, Cowboys, or the Patriots. My question is why should they try and trade him away when he's their best player.

Ps. don't flame me if this is a stupid question.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

A Perfect Score
09-18-2007, 07:42 PM
and its only week 2, and we already have our first stupid trade rumour...the man just wont DPOY and his play doesnt seem to be declining...why the hell would they trade him

KILLERSANTA
09-18-2007, 07:45 PM
you mean this guy?:

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8403/romoshakeandbakelz5.gif (http://imageshack.us)
:)

Who in god's name would trade a 1st for a guy that is 32????

23trufant
09-18-2007, 07:47 PM
He is 32 so it may be though getting a 1st round pick but he is amazing.

NIN1984
09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I kind of remember hearing something about him retiring after the season, but I could be wrong.

yo123
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I would trade a first round pick for Taylor in a heartbeat. I think first round picks, in general are overrated in trades, and Taylor is the reigning defensive player of the year, so obviously he isnt falling off. And if the Pats get him everyone should just quit.

WMD
09-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Wasn't Chris Chambers on the trading block a little while ago? I'd hate to be a Dolphins fan these days.

09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
I would trade a first round pick for Taylor in a heartbeat. I think first round picks, in general are overrated in trades, and Taylor is the reigning defensive player of the year, so obviously he isnt falling off. And if the Pats get him everyone should just quit.

yea but what if he does retire and the dolphins know something we dont

Vikes99ej
09-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I think the Dolphins have passed the Lions as the worst run franchise in the NFL.

JoeMontainya
09-18-2007, 08:46 PM
"And if the Pats get him everyone should just quit."

Why would anyone be threatened by a DE weighing 255 lbs in a 3-4 deffense? They clearly dont need another OLB so that is ruled out.

If im an OLmen, I dont care if it is Jason Taylor, I know he isnt going to take up blockers and would easily get ate up in the run game. Also 3-4 DE's arent used as pass rushers compared to 4-3 DE's so he would have absolutely zero strengths at the position.

For this same reason you can rule out Dallas.

Caddy
09-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm sure this is just an unsubstantiated rumour. I can't justify why the Dolphins would want to get rid of such a versatile and dominant defensive force.

bearsfan_51
09-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Booger McFarland got a 2nd rounder, so while I wouldn't give up a 1st for Taylor, a team on the verge of making a move that needs a pass rusher potentially could.

P-L
09-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Why would anyone be threatened by a DE weighing 255 lbs in a 3-4 deffense? They clearly dont need another OLB so that is ruled out.

They wouldn't use him at DE. They need another OLB much more than another DE. Jarvis Green would start on more than half of the teams that run a 3-4 in the league, and he's their 3rd DE.

Man_Of_Steel
09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Its obvious they need another 1st rounder to screw up and make a huge reach with.

TacticaLion
09-18-2007, 09:50 PM
I'd consider trading a few picks for him... but not a 1st. A Cover 2 DLine of Taylor-Rogers-Redding-White? Worth it.

Tha'd be fun.

Note: this isn't a bad idea for the Dolphins. Their obviously not contending for a championship this year, and Taylor isn't get younger (and his stock wont get any higher than it is now). Trade him and continue to build your team.

Its obvious they need another 1st rounder to screw up and make a huge reach with.Ted Ginn Jr can't re-enter the draft, right? Hmm... what are some of the elite KR/PR prospects of next draft?

Imagine Ginn AND another elite, 1st round KR?! Their special teams would be AMAZING! Sorry, Bears... the Fins would be the best in the NFL.

RyanLeaf#1
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
WOW I would love if the Colts went out and got Taylor.

09-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Don't people remember Taylor was still an elite player in the 3-4 defense.

Mr. Stiller
09-19-2007, 11:23 AM

If im an OLmen, I dont care if it is Jason Taylor, I know he isnt going to take up blockers and would easily get ate up in the run game. Also 3-4 DE's arent used as pass rushers compared to 4-3 DE's so he would have absolutely zero strengths at the position.

He's a 3-4 OLB not a 3-4 DE.

DMWSackMachine
09-19-2007, 12:12 PM
He would be awesome as the ROLB in NE, and if you're suggesting that Rosy Colvin is there, so he is not needed. Well, then, would you like join my fantasy league?

tylerb929
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
WOW I would love if the Colts went out and got Taylor.

First of all, we don't have a first. Second of all, he's not worth a first. Polian has only gone out and got 4 major free agents (Stokely, Simon, Vinateri, and McFarland), I don't seem him doing it again (its just not his style). We don't even have a problem at DE, Freeney and Mathis are great at what they're asked to do and Jason Taylor's versatility would be wasted in our Cover-2 style of defense that only requires a DE to get up field and rush the passer.

benchod
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
For a team that has a limited window of getting to the Super Bowl, trading a first makes perfect sense.

Thing is that there aren't too many teams with the 'limited' window to make that deal...

LonghornsLegend
09-19-2007, 05:50 PM
id give up greg ellis and a 3rd for him :)

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-19-2007, 06:23 PM
the Dolphins wouldn't trade Taylor to the Pats because they are in division..........or am i wrong with this assumption

PoopSandwich
09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
This is really funny because me and my friends were just talking about trading Derek Anderson for Cleo Lemon and Jason Taylor (obviously joking) but now seeing that hes on the trading block its pretty ironic.

Splat
09-19-2007, 07:13 PM
the Dolphins wouldn't trade Taylor to the Pats because they are in division..........or am i wrong with this assumption

I would have to agree unless they want to me known as the worst front office in all of football.

Chucky
09-19-2007, 08:45 PM
He would be a good fit on the steelers IMO, even though they just drafted woodley and timmons, he could fit into the 3-4/4-3 scheme that they are running

B-Dawk
09-19-2007, 08:48 PM
If i were the niners i would make a strong push to get him

ks_perfection
09-19-2007, 09:20 PM

They traded for Wez Welker. Since the Dolphins are far away from competing making the pats a little stronger doesn't affect them too much (esp. with an aging player)

TimD
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM

*Laugh*

60 tackles 13.5 sacks 2 ints 2 tds

yeah why would anyone be threatened by a guy who when rushing the passer is too quick for a OL and when stopping the run (as a LB) is always in on the play... the word playmaker comes to ming.... i'd love to see him in a green... and would forgive him for all the havoc he's wreaked on the Jets in the past in a second

Dolfan2788
09-19-2007, 10:23 PM
JoeMontainya go watch a game of football then come and post something please.

To tell you the truth, as a fin fan I would be devastated if we traded Taylor but at the same time he is only going to be a top flight DE for this year and the next and then he will most likely start to decline. If we can pick up a 1st rounder for him then I wouldn't mind it.

All things being equal however, if I was GM, I wouldn't trade away our best playmaker, the reigning DMVP, and a guy who has played for the franchise 10 years. You just don't do it unless he wants to go somewhere where they can compete right now.

09-19-2007, 11:19 PM
it wasn't a trade for trade's sake, like this would be -

"ESPN.com first reported Saturday that the Patriots planned to sign Welker to a restricted free agent offer sheet. But the two teams obviously decided to avoid the red-tape and uncertainty that accompanies such a transaction and opted for a trade instead." - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788847

And Kraft added a seventh rounder to ensure no bad blood between the teams.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd love to see him in a Ravens uniform but I would be pissed if we gave up a 1st for him.

Finsfan79
09-20-2007, 08:49 AM
It was conjecture from a reporter that is known for it. The dolphins havent said anything about taylor being on the block. They know it would piss off the fan base hugely.

Personally sending JT to the NFC for a 1st rounder so he could perhaps win something would be nice to the guy. Get a 1st back for him from Denver or one of the NFC teams, JT gets his ring and HoF. Bates gets his superstar there, Miami gets a young premier player in the draft or 2 players (2nd and 3rd rounders together).

Now I doubt it would happen, I doubt miami would be smart enough to pick correctly anyways. I would hate to see JT in another Uniform. He has been the Miami dolphins over the past almost decade since Danny left.

That said the Miami Dolphins Organization have wasted the prime years in the career of a HoF caliber player, if not two if you include Zach Thomas by poor drafting, horrible coaching and not getting talent to go with these guys.

It sickens me.

thebow305
09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Not gonna happen. Simple as that.

The Legend
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
ravens should trade for him then they would have 3 DPOY and if primetime was that OMG haha

Addict
09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
if they trade Taylor for a first rounder, I expect the dolphins to make draft history

With the (<32nd) pick of the 2008 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select punter Geoffrey Rice from Notre Dame

JoeMontainya
09-20-2007, 03:33 PM
JoeMontainya go watch a game of football then come and post something please.

To tell you the truth, as a fin fan I would be devastated if we traded Taylor but at the same time he is only going to be a top flight DE for this year and the next and then he will most likely start to decline. If we can pick up a 1st rounder for him then I wouldn't mind it.

All things being equal however, if I was GM, I wouldn't trade away our best playmaker, the reigning DMVP, and a guy who has played for the franchise 10 years. You just don't do it unless he wants to go somewhere where they can compete right now.

Do you think Im bashing Taylors talents? Im from Akron so I think I qualify as a fan of his. I was just mentioning that he would not be a DE for any 3-4 team, because some people that arent familiar with deffensive systems might think thats what the original poster ment because he didnt clarify. Thats all I was doing. Then I pointed out that making a switch from DE your entire 10 plus years in the league to OLB wouldnt be the easiest and probably not even welcomed by Taylor.

Why would one of the best DE's in the league want to move to OLB anyways?

Im just pointing out the things fans dont recognize or want to believe.

Do you think Ray Lewis would want to move to DE in a 4-3 because hes good at stopping the run and rushing the passer? Theres more to a position than size, speed etc...

Im still laughing about the negative rep I got on this thread from Mangini for Pres, what a joke, you throw these negative reps out like its a sack Dbrick just gave up. Meaning you give up alot....

TacticaLion
09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Im from Akron so I think I qualify as a fan of his.
Being from Akron doesn't qualify you as a fan of his... being a fan of his qualifies you as being a fan of his. Where you're from doesn't always mean anything.

Just a side note...

7-11
09-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Do you think Im bashing Taylors talents? Im from Akron so I think I qualify as a fan of his. I was just mentioning that he would not be a DE for any 3-4 team, because some people that arent familiar with deffensive systems might think thats what the original poster ment because he didnt clarify. Thats all I was doing. Then I pointed out that making a switch from DE your entire 10 plus years in the league to OLB wouldnt be the easiest and probably not even welcomed by Taylor.

Why would one of the best DE's in the league want to move to OLB anyways?

Im just pointing out the things fans dont recognize or want to believe.

Do you think Ray Lewis would want to move to DE in a 4-3 because hes good at stopping the run and rushing the passer? Theres more to a position than size, speed etc...

Im still laughing about the negative rep I got on this thread from Mangini for Pres, what a joke, you throw these negative reps out like its a sack Dbrick just gave up. Meaning you give up alot....

Just calm down and listen. As we speak the Miami Dolphins are playing a hybrid 4-3, 3-4 defense. Now i could be wrong and I'd like some clarification from a dolphins fan, but isn't Taylor playing just as much stand up at OLB than end? flame away if I'm wrong but thats just what i thought

Splat
09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
In other JT news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_ylt=An5COKqRQjzshxfBXo2nvY0dsLYF

Miami Dolphins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/mia/)' defensive end Jason Taylor (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3968/) said since he blasted the NFL for allowing San Diego Chargers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sdg/) linebacker Shawne Merriman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7188/) to remain eligible for a Pro Bowl berth and post season honors despite Merriman's four-game suspension for violating the league's steroid policy, he has become targeted by league drug testers.

Through the middle of last week, Taylor counted himself taking seven drug tests this year. Over the previous decade, Taylor - who has never tested positive for any street drugs, steroids or other banned performance-enhancing substances and is randomly tested - says he was tested an average of two to four times a year.

"Since I made those comments, I've been tested more than ever," Taylor said. "It's supposed to be random, but I guess that computer has a star on it, next to my name. I guess they want to make sure I practice what I preach."

niel89
09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I'd love to see him in a Ravens uniform but I would be pissed if we gave up a 1st for him.

yeah a ravens first is valuable. but damn JT>JJ

Dolfan2788
09-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Just calm down and listen. As we speak the Miami Dolphins are playing a hybrid 4-3, 3-4 defense. Now i could be wrong and I'd like some clarification from a dolphins fan, but isn't Taylor playing just as much stand up at OLB than end? flame away if I'm wrong but thats just what i thought

You're both right. He stands up a lot now in 3rd down situations but still has his hand on the ground a bit more. Montainya is also right in that Taylor does not put his hand down as a 3-4 DE.

Although Taylor did welcome the change to 3-4 OLB hybrid with hand down 4-3 DE. It made him into the DPOY. I don't think he would be complaining about that.

Flyboy
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
if they trade Taylor for a first rounder, I expect the dolphins to make draft history

He could practice kicking punts to Ted Ginn!!

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 11:09 PM
on a side note, isn't fannation a cnnsi thing?

anyhow, if Cameron and Mueller have gotten the heads up that they'll be given a long enough leash, then yeah, I'd consider dealinig him and retooling. This is an organization that tried to play the streets both way this summer, IMO, by adding some key vets while trying to retool. If they can get a first for him, I'd pull the trigger and try to reload, and give John Beck a look at some point.

Now ... would I give up a first for Jason Taylor? Assuming he's healthy ... and depends on where my team is. If I'm a borderline team ... then no. But if I'm a team where Jason Taylor could put me over, then heck yeah. A first, particularly a late first, is meh. Usually, and it's too early to tell for 2008, but usually a good chunk of late firsts aren't that much better than the late 2nd's.

The problem is ... it's hard to tell at week 6 as to whether or not your team is that close. I'd be wary of giving up a mid-first. Just too much value for an aging guy, even when including the risk factor in drafting.

On a side note, if I'm the FIns, I don't worry about trading within division. I go for the best deal possible.

Short list of teams that I think should consider it, if the Dolphins do pull the trigger, or teams that may consider it:

(Granted I don't know cap situations off the top)

Jacksonville - Clearly a make or break year. Unlikely to find the offensive upgrades that they need. Safety may require a look, but they could go for broke and make a Taylor deal. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But I could see it happen.

Houston - If they are in it ... I'd give it a thought. Yes ... giving a pick up sucks. But ... add Jason Taylor to that DL ... wow. Would make Faggins a bit better as well, with additional edge pressure. One of those "legitimacy" moves if they opt for it.

Washington - Certainly worth a thought. Would give them the edge pressure they might need some help in. That said, they might have to devote resources to the OL, if they make a deal. It is Joe Gibbs likely last go around, and this would be a go for broke move, addressing a key area of concern.

San Francisco - Huge year for these guys, and the loss of Lawson hurts. Adding Taylor, if they are going strong, would help. It's a statement year for the organization, in many respects.

A couple others:

New England - If there's an injury, then yes. If not, no, as they already lost a first.

Detroit - If they are going strong, it's definitely something I'd consider if they are needing edge help.

Probably a couple teams I'm missing.

thule
09-24-2007, 03:22 AM
A darkhorse imo is the Cowboys...with Ellis constantly bickering within the organization and seemingly week to week for the past 2 months I could see the giving up a later first. Spencer is a nice player but Taylor could help them more now.

Now the organization has delt with Ellis crying for a year and a half so maybe they are used to it by now....but if ellis doesn't show strides to see the field and Spencer isn't progressing as much as they would like...Taylor could go a long way to freeing up some of the DL and the backers.

I don't know if I honestly see it happening...being that Jerry values his picks about as much as any GM in the league. But if Ellis fails to progress they would be an outside bet.

J52
09-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Guess you missed the part where he was awarded the best defensive player in the league last year. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't find a way to start Jason Taylor regardless of their scheme.

big daddy russ
09-25-2007, 09:12 AM
As a 'Fins fan I think this is the best move possible. Our defense is only getting older and won't be good for too much longer.

Realistically, how many games is Taylor going to help us win from here out? He may have another two great years in him, and may play another two or three years past that. We have to do something because right now we're just treading water. Mixing a bunch of older vets (who aren't getting us many wins anyways) with a few young players isn't going to get us into the playoffs anytime soon.

Send him to a contender and pick up a late-first or second-round pick to go along with that high-first. It's time to rebuild. Anyone who thinks otherwise tends to forget that this is a team that went 6-10 last year and the strength of the team (the defense) is on the decline. The offense is at least two years away from being a decent offense, the defense is getting older, and the coaches and management see that.

We have a total of what, two guys in the starting front seven under the age of 30? I know Roth and Crowder are young, but everyone else is getting up there in years. Most of the secondary is just about to hit 30, we need a LT to protect Beck and help the running game, and our skill guys aren't the greatest in the world.

Personally, I don't have a problem trading Taylor in order to a contender if we get equal value back. Equal value may or may not be a first round pick, but I'll take picks any day of the week.

TacticaLion
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
As a 'Fins fan I think this is the best move possible. Our defense is only getting older and won't be good for too much longer.

Realistically, how many games is Taylor going to help us win from here out? He may have another two great years in him, and may play another two or three years past that. We have to do something because right now we're just treading water. Mixing a bunch of older vets (who aren't getting us many wins anyways) with a few young players isn't going to get us into the playoffs anytime soon.

Send him to a contender and pick up a late-first or second-round pick to go along with that high-first. It's time to rebuild. Anyone who thinks otherwise tends to forget that this is a team that went 6-10 last year and the strength of the team (the defense) is on the decline. The offense is at least two years away from being a decent offense, the defense is getting older, and the coaches and management see that.

We have a total of what, two guys in the starting front seven under the age of 30? I know Roth and Crowder are young, but everyone else is getting up there in years. Most of the secondary is just about to hit 30, we need a LT to protect Beck and help the running game, and our skill guys aren't the greatest in the world.

Personally, I don't have a problem trading Taylor in order to a contender if we get equal value back. Equal value may or may not be a first round pick, but I'll take picks any day of the week.
Agree completely.

I'm not a Fins fan, but that sounds like the best move for the future. Trade him while his stock is high and build through the draft.