PDA

View Full Version : Elite WRs?

jkb528
09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey guys, forgive me for my ignorance, as I'm not a college football diehard, but I was curious as to who the elite WRs in the country are right now. This year's senior crop doesn't seem to have any elite players in it, like the Calvin Johnson's or Larry Fitzgerald's of years past, and the only WR getting any Heisman hype right now is DeSean Jackson. The only other guys I know about who are potential high draft picks are Adarius Bowman, Sammie Slaughter, Earl Bennett, Percy Harvin, and Patrick Turner. Who else should we been keeping our eyes on?

SuperKevin
09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Michael Crabtree from texas tech. 6'3" 225 lbs with 4.4 speed

RyanLeaf#1
09-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Michael Crabtree from texas tech. 6'3" 225 lbs with 4.4 speed

HAHA your in love with Crabtree.

SuperKevin
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
HAHA your in love with Crabtree.

It's hard not to like a guy that talented.

RyanLeaf#1
09-18-2007, 10:37 PM
It's hard not to like a guy that talented.

Hes a freshman so atleast you will get 2 see him for 2 more years in college if not 3.

Green Bay Scat
09-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Earl Bennett.....no homer

I think Davone Bess from hawaii could be good

HoopsDemon12
09-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Earl Bennett.....no homer

I think Davone Bess from hawaii could be good

He is right... i actually think Bennet is the best wideout in the country

TigerBait45
09-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Early Doucet is probably the most gifted LSU receiver I've seen since Josh Reed. Reed hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the pros..but man he was an absolute monster in college.

BroadwayJoe10
09-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Jarett Dillard out of Rice. The dude can straight up catch the football. I remember he had something lik 15 straight games which he had a td catch. I can't remember if its still going or if that was an earlier stat i read, but i remember the record was 18 by larry fitzgerald.

Also, never really heard of this guy but Evan Moore a WR out of Stanfrod. The dude is 6' 7" 242. Now i'll take talent over size any day, as im sure most would. Especially in the era with steve smith, santana moss, laverenues coles etc. I just love a huge reciever who can go up and get the ball, however i'll take steve smith over just about anyone, except Early Randy Moss, because even tho he didn't run the most crisp routes he could just burn and go up and get the ball. It changes the way u play, instead of having to run on 3rd and short you can throw it, it just adds that dimension. Ahh, sorry for the tangent.

soybean
09-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I like brandon breazell from ucla a lot. He looks quick.

SuperKevin
09-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Jarett Dillard out of Rice. The dude can straight up catch the football. I remember he had something lik 15 straight games which he had a td catch. I can't remember if its still going or if that was an earlier stat i read, but i remember the record was 18 by larry fitzgerald.

Also, never really heard of this guy but Evan Moore a WR out of Stanfrod. The dude is 6' 7" 242. Now i'll take talent over size any day, as im sure most would. Especially in the era with steve smith, santana moss, laverenues coles etc. I just love a huge reciever who can go up and get the ball, however i'll take steve smith over just about anyone, except Early Randy Moss, because even tho he didn't run the most crisp routes he could just burn and go up and get the ball. It changes the way u play, instead of having to run on 3rd and short you can throw it, it just adds that dimension. Ahh, sorry for the tangent.

Evan Moore also has the worst knees and ankles of any player not named Tyrone prothro

Green Bay Scat
09-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Evan Moore also has the worst knees and ankles of any player not named Tyrone prothro

thats horrible, i still hate the fact he was still in that game

Don Vito
09-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Earl Bennet is the best WR in college football, but Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly is putting on a show and living up to his enormous potential this season. Vidal Hazelton from USC has made some amazing plays this season, he is another freak who could see his name called in round 1 in the next few years. Another Pac-10 guy I love is Jaison Williams out of Oregon, probably the most underrated blend of size/athleticism/production for the WR position in the land. He oges at about 6-5 240 4.5 and can hop, catch, and make plays.

Watch out for huge Mario Urrutia out of Louisville, Adarius Bowman out of Ok. St., WVU's Darius Reynaud, and one of my personal favorites - Limas Sweed out of Texas.

JagHombre22
09-19-2007, 04:22 AM
I know Percy Harvin may not play the traditional receiver spot...but he's got to be one of the best receivers in the country right now...reminds me alot of Reggie Bush...

Jonny
09-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Not a fan of Urrutia. I think Douglas is better, as do most people.

I don't think Urrutia is even a 2nd-team All Big East player if the voting was fair. Douglas, Underwood, Reynaud, Britt are all better, the USF and Pitt WRs are good too but they don't get all that many chances to catch.

NYGibril28
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM
James Hardy, Indiana...Good size and hands

Chris Williams, New Mexico State...Steve Smith type but not quite on that level

Marcus Monk, Arkansas....See Hardy

Maurice Purify, Nebraska...Supposedly doesn't time well, but it doesn't show on the field. My favorite WR sleeper for this year.

BroadwayJoe10
09-19-2007, 08:30 AM

ahh thank you. I had no idea what the knocks on him were, i went to stanford's website, but obviouslt they aren't gonna really knock him on their own site.

ccB
09-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Malcolm Kelly and Darrius Heyward-Bey are my favorite WR's with potential to be high draft picks.

Sniper
09-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Adrian Arrington is an excellent possession-style receiver. He's got very good hands, is athletic and will go over the middle.

ironman4579
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
For some reason Arrington has always reminded me of a taller, faster Jason Avant. I know that's actually not a good comparison, but for some reason it always pops in my head.

NYGibril28
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
For some reason Arrington has always reminded me of a taller, faster Jason Avant. I know that's actually not a good comparison, but for some reason it always pops in my head.

if hes taller and faster, why compare them? Why don't you think of a receiver just as tall and just as fast

ironman4579
09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess just from their playing style, I see similiarities. As I said though, it's really not a great comparison anyway. For one thing Arrington is much better after the catch than Avant IMO.

Michigan
09-19-2007, 03:23 PM
I guess just from their playing style, I see similiarities. As I said though, it's really not a great comparison anyway. For one thing Arrington is much better after the catch than Avant IMO.

I don't see a single similarity between Avant and Arrington except for the fact that they were/are #2 recievers for Michigan. As already mentioned, Arrington is much taller and much faster than Avant (6'3 190 4.45 for Arrington, 6'0 210 4.68 for Avant). Arrington specializes in the intermediate/deep range (although not a great route-runner) and is a playmaker after the catch. Also, he is deadly in the red zone as he can outjump almost any corner in D1A. Avant was much stronger, had hands of glue, and was a terrific route runner. Pretty much a guaranteed completion within 15 yards. Completely different recievers in my eyes.

Sniper
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't see a single similarity between Avant and Arrington except for the fact that they were/are #2 recievers for Michigan. As already mentioned, Arrington is much taller and much faster than Avant (6'3 190 4.45 for Arrington, 6'0 210 4.68 for Avant). Arrington specializes in the intermediate/deep range (although not a great route-runner) and is a playmaker after the catch. Also, he is deadly in the red zone as he can outjump almost any corner in D1A. Avant was much stronger, had hands of glue, and was a terrific route runner. Pretty much a guaranteed completion within 15 yards. Completely different recievers in my eyes.

Was Avant really a 4.68? I had him in the 4.55 type range. Doesn't look THAT slow. Arrington is money in the red zone. Tha catch vs. Oregon was beastly.

Michigan
09-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Was Avant really a 4.68? I had him in the 4.55 type range. Doesn't look THAT slow. Arrington is money in the red zone. Tha catch vs. Oregon was beastly.

Avant ran a 4.80 at his pro day, but had a slight leg injury. He then ran again a few days later and put up times in the 4.65-4.70 range. I'm sure he's gotten at least a little faster since then.

keylime_5
09-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Manningham, Malcolm Kelly, and Desean Jackson are pretty good.

JT Jag
09-23-2007, 07:05 AM
D.J. Hall is very underrated. Good football player all in all, though he'll probably just clock in the 4.5 range.

neko4
09-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Ive been on the James Hardy's little bandwagon for awhile now and im sticking to that. I think if he runs in the 4.4's he could shoot up draft boards. Though he is probably only a 4.5.
Percy and Darrius Heyward-Bay have tons of potential and I cant wait to see them go pro.

etk
09-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Harry Douglas is absolute dynamite.

AkiliSmith
09-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Brian Robiskie of Ohio State has been tearing it up this year. He has good size and speed, and his dad is the WR coach for the Dolphins. He has been in the shadows of some great players, and finally has gotten the opportunity to shine this season.

2007 stats:
20 rec
431 yds
21.6 ypc
5 TD

LonghornsLegend
09-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Limas Sweed :) No but really though he will make a good NFL wr...

but i love desean jackson, malcolm kelly, and percy harvin

JagHombre22
09-23-2007, 01:15 PM
after yesterday's performance, I think Percy Harvin is top three in the nation at the WR spot...

Green Bay Scat
09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
after yesterday's performance, I think Percy Harvin is top three in the nation at the WR spot...

so if Earl Bennett is #1, and Harvin is #3, whos #2 then?

JagHombre22
09-23-2007, 06:11 PM
so if Earl Bennett is #1, and Harvin is #3, whos #2 then?

what could make the case that Harvin is number 2....

yourfavestoner
09-23-2007, 06:23 PM
I really really like Keenan Burton of Kentucky.

Sniper
09-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Or not. Either way. Harvin isn't a WR as much as he is a do everything type guy. Kind of like how people say Reggie Bush isn't an RB, he's not a WR, he's a hybrid. Harvin doesn't nearly have the receiving impact a top 3 wideout should have. From a receiver standpoint, there's a bunch of guys in the SEC alone I'd take ahead of Percy. Bennett, Doucet, Monk, Burton, etc...Harvin is a great playmaker, but not a great WR yet. Think Ted Ginn

Brent
09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Malcolm Kelly is just plain awesome.

ShutDwn
09-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Ive been on the James Hardy's little bandwagon for awhile now and im sticking to that. I think if he runs in the 4.4's he could shoot up draft boards. Though he is probably only a 4.5.
Percy and Darrius Heyward-Bay have tons of potential and I cant wait to see them go pro.

You should make yourself comfortable, cause he is the real deal. Didn't have a great game last week though. When watching him, you have to realize that he plays with no run game and usually an offense that other than the QB Lewis is outclassed in talent across the board.

He puts up great numbers as it is, but they would be amazing on a power house team.

Green Bay Scat
09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
You should make yourself comfortable, cause he is the real deal. Didn't have a great game last week though. When watching him, you have to realize that he plays with no run game and usually an offense that other than the QB Lewis is outclassed in talent across the board.

He puts up great numbers as it is, but they would be amazing on a power house team.

sounds like Earl Bennetts case, cept people seem to think the SEC is harder than the Big 10

bored of education
09-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Robiskie is beastly.
DJ Hall will be picked 4th-10th WR spot in the draft but will be one of the best.

ironman4579
09-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I said it last year, and I'll say it again. I still think as an all around receiver. Arrington is or potentially can be better than Manningham IMO.

Sniper
09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
I said it last year, and I'll say it again. I still think as an all around receiver. Arrington is or potentially can be better than Manningham IMO.

Better on short and intermediate routes, great athleticism, better hands, CLUTCH on third down. But not even the same stratosphere of deep threat that Rio is. Really depends on what you want.

ironman4579
09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Better on short and intermediate routes, great athleticism, better hands, CLUTCH on third down. But not even the same stratosphere of deep threat that Rio is. Really depends on what you want.

That's why I said all around receiver. I think Arrington has better hands, is a better route runner, has better size, is a better and more willing blocker(IMO), and better after the catch(again IMO). Manningham is faster(although I think his speed is actually a bit overestimated by some. I don't think he'll time quite as fast as some people) and better at adjusting to the deep ball. Of course, I certainly don't pretend I'm some kind of great talent evaluator or anything, but I think Arrington all around is a better and more polished receiver, but Manningham will be drafted far higher IMO.

ironman4579
09-24-2007, 06:21 PM
I will say this though, Manningham has one of the best double moves I've ever seen.

Sniper
09-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I will say this though, Manningham has one of the best double moves I've ever seen.

Haha I think Ambrose Wooden is still looking for his jock.

Michigan
09-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Don't be surprised if Arrington is faster than Manningham. He has some serious wheels.

smittyjs
09-24-2007, 11:10 PM
EB AKA Earl Bennett = Best complete WR in college right now.

JagHombre22
09-25-2007, 04:45 AM
sounds like Earl Bennetts case, cept people seem to think the SEC is harder than the Big 10

you would disagree?